Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Warcraft - Orcs and Humans (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3034)

Kon-Tiki 09-02-2005 11:28 PM

Warcraft - Orcs and Humans

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Download and Review (if available)

Canadianmonk3y 10-02-2005 12:38 AM

Welcome to no unit AI. Hehehe... I remember how much micro you have to do to get your units to fight when I played the game last summer.

gildedgirth 10-02-2005 01:58 AM

I remember buying this game after playing Dune II to death. Finally, we all thought, there is another game like Dune II, and we proceeded to play this game to death as well. It's funny to think though, at the time, we also all thought of Warcraft as a simple Dune II clone and and Blizzard as minor gaming company, only capable of making clones of other games. Not much in the game was original besides the theme and setting and played pretty much like Dune II. It seemed to me at the time, they just wanted to capitalize on the popularity of Dune II and the the small and emerging RTS market.

Little did we realized Blizzard would grow to such heights and become a premier gaming company with many hits, but I still think, after all these years, if you first play Dune II, and then Warcraft I, you'll see more similarities than not. You have to remember Dune II was the only PC RTS game around at the time so comparison would inevitably happen. Anyway, Warcraft is a very fun game and in Warcraft II, will see Blizzard finally adding more polish and some cool ideas.

ALthough this does make me wonder about Blizzard, it seems they excel at polished games from already proven concepts rather than coming up with totally new ideas? Diablo = Rogue clone, Warcraft/Starcraft = Dune II clones, WoW = Everquest/MMORPG's clones... Have they made a totally original game? Not to take anything away from Diablo, any gaming company could learn a thing or two about making a game polished, playable and with good production values like Blizzard does.

Durak 10-02-2005 02:10 AM

No way Blizzard gave this classic up! What a great game, I remember making hoards of skeletons that were unstopable. Warcraft 2 will stay my favorite Warcraft though ^_^.

DiamondSoul 10-02-2005 02:29 AM

:w00t: Ooooh, awesome awesome game, this is a real jewel, I highly recommend. Such a feeling of nostalgia!

My tips for the game:

-Archers are great for both defence and offence. When attacking with archers, form a perfect line with them and slowly move them to level the entire base.
-Keep a healer (if playing with humans) at the back of your line to heal any wounded. No unit regeneration in this game.
-Have a few fast units in your group to scout ahead quickly for catapults.
-If the level allows it, tech to Daemon as fast as possible :evil:

Apoorva 10-02-2005 03:10 AM

When I try running this on DOSBox it comes up with:

"Please run SETUP.EXE to properly configure WARCRAFT for your system"

I already went to the settings and put it on NO SOUND but it still came up with the same error. Please help, thanks.

Apoorva

Kon-Tiki 10-02-2005 03:22 AM

Hmmm... I remember testing one game that gave alot of trouble under DosBox, but worked fine for Win98, Dos and XP. Lemme test this. Hold on...
Woops. 't Is this one. Setup messes up under DosBox. Lemme adjust that on the main page :whistle:

Melchior 10-02-2005 03:50 AM

I was wondering when a website like Abandonia would put this classic for download.

I remember the old days...

Mardi-Gras 10-02-2005 05:42 AM

Every day, in every way, this site gets better and better.

Such a great game, this, both for the playability and the nostalgia value. Nice one, Kon-Tiki, fantastic work.

ultranewbie 10-02-2005 07:37 AM

this is the first game i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted!

way to go abandonia! :w00t:

Tom Henrik 10-02-2005 08:46 AM

And believe it or not... WarCraft 1 is abandoned :D

Yamcha 10-02-2005 08:53 AM

Ahhhh, Warcraft :) where all started.....

Reaper 10-02-2005 09:03 AM

GG Abandonia, this really is something.

But i'm not going through the hellish nightmare of sending units one by one into the fray. I had enough of it a long time ago. I still remember Dune 2 and Warcraft. Attacking was like :wall: .

Omuletzu 10-02-2005 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Feb 10 2005, 11:46 AM
Are you like really sure?!
Damn if i had known it was abw, i would have reviewed and uploaded it ages ago :cry: :cry:

newbie idiot 10-02-2005 12:29 PM

:Titan: I want to play this game so bad, but can't get it running under dosbox or xp. I have 100+ games from this site that all work great, but I keep getting a fatal error message when running dos4gw.exe and setup.exe. I get a "need to run setup" message when I run war.exe. And an "incompatible program/patch" message when I run the crack.exe. :angry: Please help me abandonia gods.

Unknown Hero 10-02-2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Feb 10 2005, 10:46 AM
Strange! :blink: :blink:

When I asked to upload and review it I was turned down! :not_ok:

Anyways: :Brain: :Brain: :Brain:

Tom Henrik 10-02-2005 12:55 PM

That was in the past. This is now. Things change.

Omuletzu 10-02-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Feb 10 2005, 03:55 PM
Things change.
Indeed they do...

digitalman 10-02-2005 01:40 PM

OK, for those of you who are having trouble running under windows/DOSBox. Grab a newer version of DOS4GW.exe (I found 1.97) and overlay the version that comes with the zipfile. It now starts up for me under Windows 2000 (and DosBox)

Griezel 10-02-2005 03:20 PM

For a newbie to warcraft, which would you suggest playing first? Humans or Orcs?

Random 10-02-2005 04:04 PM

Griezel: No matter, the troops are identical on both sides. Only the spells are different.

another_guest 10-02-2005 05:08 PM

And even the spells are quite evenly balanced: usually each side has a similar spell, or a decent counterpart. I remember though that I prefered to play the side that can cast invisibility (were that the humans?) in the later levels, since it was so annoying having to line up troops to keep invisible enemies out.

Eagle of Fire 10-02-2005 05:25 PM

The humans are easier because they can actually cast healing spells. But Orcs are slightly stronger in higher levels. Humans have access to sneaky spells like invisibility and such to compensate.

DiamondSoul 10-02-2005 05:46 PM

If anyone is frustrated by sending in single units, you can select 4 at a time actually. Just hold down the shift button and you can select a group of 4 :)

:ok:

Broken Link? 11-02-2005 12:40 PM

Just wonderin' here, the link is broken for download. I'll try it again later, but is it broken?

MrBackAlleySka 11-02-2005 01:04 PM

Hey everyone :D Hey, digitalman, you say DOS4GW 1.97 works to cure this problem? I can find .exe's but can't get them to run. A link to a zip of DOS4GW would be nice, if you or anyone could supply me a link, that'd be nice ^^ All the zip files I found were broken links, or 403 forbiddens.

Ultralisk 11-02-2005 02:21 PM

Is this the real warcraft buuuut I can't get itArgghh I'm 16 years old and I played this game about 8 years ago with my bro. when I was 8 I want want it so much but page becomes abandoned also my bro remembered UFO so well that he has been playing it for 5 days 5 hours a day this site is amazing I will invite all my friends guys you really are good too
PS: I waaant warcraaaaft but it does not respond aaaaaaaargh :ranting:

Omuletzu 11-02-2005 02:25 PM

Please be patient... it seems we are encountering some technical difficulties.I am sure the staff are doing their best to solve the problem.
Until then, feel free to try other games.We have numerous entries that could keep you entertained for hours ;) :cheers:

Jurific 11-02-2005 06:08 PM

Sorry about the double reply it was an accident, anyway when i was growing up i could only select ONE UNIT AT A TIME it was so maddening but i evenmtually finnished it. AS i recall you had to have it for Apple to select 4. again sorry about the double post.

Kon-Tiki 12-02-2005 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Omuletzu@Feb 11 2005, 04:25 PM
Please be patient... it seems we are encountering some technical difficulties.I am sure the staff are doing their best to solve the problem.
Until then, feel free to try other games.We have numerous entries that could keep you entertained for hours ;) :cheers:

Fixed. Well... few hours ago. The Dos4gw in the archive's upgraded now too, so no need to search for the new one and replace the old one with it :ok:

Ultralisk 12-02-2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Omuletzu@Feb 11 2005, 03:25 PM

I'll consider it maan you do the best I believe :ok:

Yobor 12-02-2005 08:59 PM

Hey guys.
I spent the last few days playing this game to completion. Is there any way i could get a level editor? The second game had a very intuitive level editor, and it would be great to make my own campaigns in this one too. I made a total of 25 levels in warcraft 2 as my own campaign, so it matters a lot to me.

Mrop 13-02-2005 02:54 PM

The teams do not have the same units with different spells. The Archer has longer range than the spearman but the spearman has higher damage.
I bought this game a couple of years ago and some weeks ago i downloaded ILLEGALLY :evil: because i couldn't find the CD! And then you upload it...

adee 13-02-2005 03:00 PM

it`s a very cool game! but i can`t run it because i have windows Xp, :angry: :angry: :angry: Tell me if i can keep windows XP,and make this great game work! thanx! :bye: :help: :tnx:

Yobor 13-02-2005 03:02 PM

Adee,
The game should work in windows XP. I dont see what is wrong. Run Crack.exe and then run setup.exe. When it asks for a letter, just hit enter, and set it up. Then just run Warcraft.exe.

Omuletzu 13-02-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ultralisk+Feb 12 2005, 11:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ultralisk @ Feb 12 2005, 11:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Omuletzu@Feb 11 2005, 03:25 PM
Until then, feel free to try other games.We have numerous entries that could keep you entertained for hours ;)* :cheers:

I'll consider it maan you do the best I believe :ok: [/b][/quote]
Why thank you :sneaky:

Schandmaul 13-02-2005 07:35 PM

In Warcraft II the editor was actually piece of crap. You couldn't set your own mission goals, the AI was bad, and so on. In Starcraft it's much better. But I once saw a floppy with level editor for Warcraft on a Trödelmarkt (kind of street market). I would love so much to use it on the game, but I don't know what this editor was... :cry:

JJXB 13-02-2005 07:42 PM

my friend has warcraft and it has the original cd and a floppy disk with a patch and level editor. want me to try to get the level editor and upload it?

Yobor 13-02-2005 09:13 PM

Yes, JJXB!!
That would be much appreciated! :kosta:

Mentor 13-02-2005 11:15 PM

It's Dutch or Swedish, I believe.

I talked to Jarvi enough to know at least what the language looks like...

As for the meaning, no damn clue.

Warcraft rocks, by the way. Primitive, obviously, but it stands the test of time rather nicely.

PRO 16-02-2005 12:54 PM

COLL!!!!!!! :ok: BUT WARCRAFT 3 IS BETTER :D

another_guest 16-02-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Feb 15 2005, 09:00 PM
Anyways I never passed the game with orcs, because they don't have healing and invisibility, so humans just turn themselfs invisible and enter my base and kill all my peasants! :ranting:
Whenever I could, I lined up my troops to block any bridges, so that no invisible unit could get past.
And those demons were really great to wreak some havoc in the enemy camp :)

geron 22-02-2005 08:22 PM

Before you enter any other cheats you must press enter
and enter \"Corwin of amber\", and press enter again.
Now you can enter some new codes: \"pot of gold\" gives
you 10,000 gold, and 5,000 lumber, \"hurry up guys\"
makes evrything ready almost before the phesant is there.

Cheat:
------
Warcraft has a master code that is required to
enable any other codes. To enable this, first
press ENTER, then CORWIN OF AMBER.
Press Enter Again and type any of these codes
and your on...

ORCx OR HUMANX
--------------
By typing either ORC or HUMAN followed by a number
from 1 to 12, this cheat will immediately jump you
to that scenarioin the campaign.

YOURS TRULY
-----------
This cheat takes you directly to the victory sequence
on each level.

CRUSHING DEFEAT
---------------
Takes you to the loss sequence.

IDES OF MARCH
-------------
Takes you to the final sequence for the campaign your
currently on.

POT OF GOLD
-----------
Adds 10,000 gold and 5,000 lumber to your resources.

EYE OF NEWT
-----------
Upgrades your magic users with all the spells.

IRON FORGE
----------
Upgrades all technologies immediately.

SALLY SHEARS
------------
Displays the entire map area.

HURRY UP GUYS
-------------
All buildings, units, and upgrades are done at an
accelerated rate.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE
---------------------
All your units become invunerable to all attacks except
to a direct hit from a CATUPULT hit and will inflict
255 points of damage on each enemy they hit.

xcom freak 25-02-2005 02:24 AM

Warcraft has the same rating as 4D sports boxing :blink: :blink:
Well guess Tastes really differ a lot

K.dogg 25-02-2005 05:05 PM

i run win xp and when i try to run tha game ut saiz 16bit error , help?

JJXB 01-03-2005 03:49 PM

right, the editor my friend has wasn't a level editor, its a general editor (also includes a cheat prog by blizz :)) get it here

Dreadlord 01-03-2005 03:50 PM

I used that to beat the last Orc level, ahah, I made my Grunts unstoppable, then did the amazing one-man siege.

Yobor 01-03-2005 05:10 PM

Thanks a million, JJ! :ok:

Dreadlord 01-03-2005 06:32 PM

Yobor, it's off topic, but what game is your avatar from?

Also can anyone tell me if you can run this game in window mode?

Yobor 01-03-2005 06:54 PM

My Avatar is from Warlords III!
I love that game. I re-bought it a couple of days ago, but it is still the best thing ever. The way I got the picture was just by looking for warlords 3 on google images. I realize this is off topic, but....... :tomato:

As far as I know it won't run in a window. I've tried, but it doesn't work :-(

Dreadlord 01-03-2005 07:19 PM

Sucky, I need to have it run in window mode if I want to trick it into running two versions of it at the same time.

Potato 02-03-2005 06:17 AM

Hey! Absolutely adore this game. It was one of the first ones I remember playing when I was a wee little thing, and I thought it was just the /coolest/ thing ever. So, was absolutely thrilled to see it come up here. Having one itty bitty problem though, in that it scrolls really. Really. Fast. So the only way I can move about the map is by clicking laboriously in the minimap, otherwise I basically just go from one side of the map to the other.

Any way I can slow down the scrolling? And if I missed something elsewhere on the site, just smack me upside the head and point me in the right direction. Many thanks.

Kon-Tiki 02-03-2005 06:37 AM

In the settings of the game (Game Menu-> Options or something similar), just put mouse scrolling to slowest. It does the trick remarkably well :D

Guest 02-03-2005 06:51 AM

Who feels like a moron? Yep, that'd be me. Thank you! :whistle:

sharpsponge 03-03-2005 05:09 AM

In response to the poor souls who click single units until they retain little or no sanity... I have checked my warcraft CD and copied the following from readme.txt, and bolded the part about selecting units:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
- 3. HOTKEYS
---------------------------------------------------------------------
There are also additional functions available during game play.

F1 or Alt-H Help
Shift F2 - F4 Save map position for immediate recall
F2 - F4 Recall saved map position
F5 Display overview of map
F6 Display Unit Screen (shows units in play/units destroyed)
F7 Economy Screen (Lists total resources harvested)
F8 Score (This is an indication of your success,
including your rank and current mission objectives)
F10 Options Menu

G Shows the building grid for structures
C Centers map on selected units
Ctrl-M or Alt-M Music (toggles between ON/OFF)
Ctrl-S or Alt-S Sound Effects (toggles between ON/OFF)
Ctrl-X or Alt-X Exit the program
Ctrl-Esc Disconnects the systems in two player mode
+ / - keys Speed up or Slow down the game speed
Esc Cancel any command just issued in any menu
Right click Cancel any command just issued in any menu

Shift+Click on a unit Allows grouping of up to four units
Ctrl+Drag Mouse over units Allows grouping of up to four units

Yobor 06-03-2005 02:22 PM

Woot! :ok:
Thank god there is a drag function!

Viking 06-03-2005 06:51 PM

Alright, mayhap im missin somthin, but when I try and run Crack.exe, and then setup and says "The PC WARCRAFT setup utility must be run from the directory which contains the subdirectory: DRIVERS." Im running under windows 2000, anybody got any ideas for this newb?

Thanks! :ok:

Yobor 06-03-2005 06:53 PM

Try adding a folder called "DRIVERS"

Viking 06-03-2005 08:25 PM

MAN! I am getting annoyed trying to get this game to run!Or maybe im just stupid :eeeeeh: After I run setup and then try and play the game, I get this error message:

ERROR:

Unable to find the WARCRAFT data file data\data.war
In any of the following directories:

C:\WARCRAFT

Anybody got any ideas?

Also, When I try and run the crack I get another error message:
ERROR: Incompatable Version or Previously patched program.

Is that normal?

Yobor 06-03-2005 09:31 PM

What kind of system are you trying to run the game on? (Xp, dosbox, vdsm sound)

Viking 06-03-2005 10:15 PM

Dosbox. Wont work on windows

DFS 23-03-2005 11:21 PM

This version doesn't include the cinematics :(

dr_st 24-03-2005 03:21 PM

That's because the cinematics (and narration) would add like 50 megs.

The Fifth Horseman 24-03-2005 03:34 PM

IIRC, I have one with the cinematics and digitized speech. It's about 8 MB.

Yobor 24-03-2005 05:19 PM

Viking, Warcrat ONLY works with windows. Sorry m8.

Kon-Tiki 24-03-2005 06:31 PM

Why's it use Dos4GW then? :bleh:

Dreadlord 24-03-2005 09:23 PM

Because it's insane, it works on both but it hates DosBox, there were two versions released, Windows & Double Compatible.

Duff 25-03-2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by newbie idiot@Feb 10 2005, 01:29 PM
:Titan: I want to play this game so bad, but can't get it running under dosbox or xp.* I have 100+ games from this site that all work great, but I keep getting a fatal error message when running dos4gw.exe and setup.exe.* I get a "need to run setup" message when I run war.exe.* And an "incompatible program/patch" message when I run the crack.exe.* :angry: Please help me abandonia gods.
Newbie.
Run the setup.exe, go directly to "exit and save changes" (can't remember the exact phrase) and then run War.exe :)

At least it worked for me ... :)

dr_st 25-03-2005 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Mar 24 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm not talking about the digitized speech of the units when you click on them. I'm talking about the narration of the storyline and your objectives before each level, and the small movies that show the new part of the land you're about to enter before each level.

Guest_Mike 28-03-2005 02:51 AM

Has anyone figured out how to play this game over a network? I cant figure it out, i just get network drivers not installed or whatwever.
-Mike

Guest 30-03-2005 07:14 PM

i created the DRIVERS folder, still it gives me the missing path error, i runned the crack and it says its a wrong version

Guest 07-05-2005 10:03 PM

Does anyone know how to get the crack to work? It seems not to have found my setup file on every single attempt.

Why?

Yobor 08-05-2005 03:47 PM

The game doesn't work in DOSBox. The crack should work if you didnt mess with anything from the download.

Yeyinde 19-05-2005 10:40 AM

This site looks sooo cool, but there's jsut 1 thing i'd like to know... HOW THE *meep* DO I DOWNLOAD STUFF?! Its making me insane, not bieng able to dl Warcraft!!!
So Plz answer....

-Yeyinde :help: :crazy: :wall: :cry: :angry: :tai: :ranting:

Dreg&#39;atar 19-05-2005 11:20 AM

you can't download warcraft because it's ESA protected. every game that has got "esa" mark you can't download.

Tom Henrik 19-05-2005 11:24 AM

And refrain from cursing in the future.

Jeep 12-06-2005 08:09 AM

I have a game question actually. I bought Warcraft off a department store for 10 dollars below.
It works and all but once I get to Stage 4, for both Humans or Orcs, the stage where your weak little pre-mature town is surrounded by 30+ enemies, I could not beat the stage.

My question is, do they expect you to win!??? Or was my game a different version of Warcraft made by evil game producers to screw up strategists?

Kon-Tiki 12-06-2005 09:48 AM

's No such plot twist in either Warcraft 1 or 2 where you'd have to lose. Only plot there is: Crush, Build, Destroy!

Sietzero 30-06-2005 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Mar 24 2005, 04:34 PM
I still have the complete version at home, including all the cinematics. But I guess offering it here would be quite NOT appreciated by ESA and others?

Anyway, I'm looking for the full version of War2 (including all extra's like footage etc.) Anyone?

Meanwhile, I will be enjoying the good old sound of orcs dying (which in Dutch language sounds more or less like "oh no!")

Sietzero

Bobbin Threadbare 04-07-2005 02:32 PM

World of Warcraft (WoW) is awesome. This post is slightly off topic, but you can get a patch for War2 to upgrade it. I'll host it somewhere and give a link later, but it might be on Blizzard.com (unlike LucasArts they leave their oldies on the ACTUAL site) but I don't know if it's there.
Cheers :cheers:

The Fifth Horseman 04-07-2005 03:00 PM

They DO leave their oldies - but remove the access to them. Like with Diablo 1.

damitssam 19-07-2005 07:05 PM

i like to cheat in this game but it looked funy because of the map LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Conjurer 04-08-2005 02:58 AM

Man after playing this game.... I was like Why was warcraft 1 better then 2?
I felt there was a lot more story to warcraft 1 then 2.
Also when you go to war 3 what happened to the clerics and conjurers? also they even had creeps in warcraft 1 that was awsome!

O heres some tips!

Build roads!

Build warlocks and have there mana at 100 ((build around 4)) and summon the Unholy demon!

Humans archers have a longer range!

Last tip, Dont look at griselda!

Gamefreak 04-08-2005 10:41 PM

And spiders are little better than scorpions, I think. They always managed to over-survive the fights with the scorpions...
Yet another hint: place 4-6 archers or spearmen at strategically important bridges or passages, place 3-4 grunts / swordsmen or 2-3 knights / wolfriders before them to block incoming enemies, and place 2-3 catapults behind the ranged units. Where the archers / spearmen don't kill right away, the catapults will pulverize the rest, as although they're slow, they can shot further than archers / spearmen and deal 255 damage! Nobody will get through such guarded passages anymore, except if the enemy brings his own catapults, in which case your blockage will be cleared away rather quickly... :evil:
But be sure not to block the passages with your units completely, leave a place for the enemy to be able to pass through them, else the enemy units will try to find another passage and then eventually arrive at places where you don't expect them.

Guest_Quatroking 05-08-2005 07:14 AM

Warcraft? i love that games! i played Warcraft 1 when i was 8, and i still love it!

geron 15-08-2005 10:44 PM

Hey! I love Warcraft 1, but I have a 'problem', not a big one but it hardens the game. . . Always when I select a unit, I have to press M before moving it, is there a way to get it work on the right mouse click, plz answer...

:help: :bye:

Dino 15-08-2005 10:49 PM

As far as I remember, there isn't. Drove me crazy as well! (Žao mi je, prijatelju :) )

Unknown Hero 15-08-2005 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by burner@Aug 16 2005, 12:44 AM
Hey! I love Warcraft 1, but I have a 'problem', not a big one but it hardens the game. . . Always when I select a unit, I have to press M before moving it, is there a way to get it work on the right mouse click, plz answer...

:help: :bye:

Nope, there isn't easier way to move a unit in this game.

ONE UNINPORTANT HINT: If you want to select more than one unit, you can select them if you hold down ctrl and make a square around FOUR of your units with left mouse button. :ok:

Blood-Pigggy 15-08-2005 11:42 PM

I own this game on CD, I don't remember having to hold control.
Or maybe it's cause I played it so long ago.

Gamefreak 16-08-2005 09:34 AM

Hold CTRL+Left Mouse Button and drag a square around as many units you want (only 4 will be selected max.) to select many
or
ALT+Left Mouse Button - click on every single unit to add it to a group of max. 4 units

Warcraft is an old game, and one of the pioneers in it's area, so don't be surprised that you can't move unites with right-click, that comes only in Warcraft II ;)

a15drian 23-11-2005 05:22 PM

Ahhhhh yes warcraft i just finished warcraft III know i am going to Frozen trone without cheats

Yobor 23-11-2005 06:18 PM

Sadly, not available to be downloaded :-(

punch999 23-11-2005 06:26 PM

Fun to remember the days when it was

Yobor 23-11-2005 06:28 PM

Ae, like, for a week hehe. Crazy stuff.

Sebatianos 23-11-2005 06:34 PM

But please - stop spaming.
Talk about the game, not about your downloading memories.

a15drian 24-11-2005 12:06 PM

EDIT: Spam deleted.

Bp103 07-12-2005 11:38 AM

For dosbox Its good to have 12000 cycle for WAR CRAFT If someone is asking that faq..........any way its easy to ramp up the cycle in dosbox look for a file named dosbox.conf open it with the note pad a slite delay will happen just look for
[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: simple,normal,full,dynamic.
# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!
# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=full
cycles=XXXX
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

where it sais XXXX wright 12000 in the numbers place
(XXXX is in place of the number thats there)

Sebatianos 07-12-2005 12:06 PM

Well, there's a much easier way to change.

Leave the default number at 3000 (most games work fine). If you want to speed the cycles up press CTRL+F12 (it will encrease by 500 at a time) and to decrese the CPU cycles press CTRL+F11 (but the number won't always be round).

another_guest 07-12-2005 02:31 PM

Even easier:
use D-Fend as a front end to Dosbox:
http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm

You can simply type the number of CPU cycles for each game (plus all of the other settings) :)

Gamefreak 07-12-2005 11:02 PM

Some games have been said to have problems with D-Fend, though, and won't work. It's really better to get to know DosBox and dosbox.conf abd to have control over what you use. No pain, no gain...

s?ren 02-01-2006 02:45 PM

Cool manual
:sniper: :Tom:

Yobor 02-01-2006 09:22 PM

For me, this game is not even DOSBox compatable. Aslo, on my brother's computer all units appear green. It runs well for me though.

Nyerguds 07-01-2006 08:20 AM

rofl. It's like Dune 2... one of the games DOSBox seems to focus their PR around, but that actually works perfectly on plain XP :P
(you need a patch for Dune 2, but hey, it's still on Westwood's official FTP anyway :P)

WaAn 07-01-2006 10:59 AM

Strange game. I really don't like these old strategy games. They're just too easy (Or too hard) And the interface in Warcraft I is just a piece of **** :not_ok: I don't like it. Next part is better.

Gamefreak 07-01-2006 11:09 AM

Your opinion. I liked Warcraft II less than the first part. The third part wasn't bad for short time anyway.

Yobor 07-01-2006 03:41 PM

I believe that Warcraft 2 was the best game that Blizzard has made to date. They fixed the unit problems, it isn't obscenely hard, there is an editor, the units were interesting, and a strange new world was created.

Gamefreak 07-01-2006 06:25 PM

Yeah, and the editor is pretty limited, allowing almost as much as to create terrain and units only, if you didn't notice yet. In Starcraft the editor was already close to be as good as in Warcraft III. But Warcraft II isn't really a bad game, just the units on both sides are too similar in stats and strength. Not much depth in strategy because of that.

punch999 07-01-2006 09:32 PM

Gamefreak everthink of actually joining the forum?

Gamefreak 07-01-2006 10:14 PM

No thanks, I prefer to stay a guest. They delete and ban too much here for my taste.

Yobor 07-01-2006 10:30 PM

ooooo..... burn....

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone actually knew how to set up scripts in the editor.

Kearnsy 08-01-2006 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yobor@Jan 7 2006, 04:41 PM
I believe that Warcraft 2 was the best game that Blizzard has made to date. They fixed the unit problems, it isn't obscenely hard, there is an editor, the units were interesting, and a strange new world was created.
I almost agree with you. :tomato:

It was the best until STARCRAFT! :kosta:

I got really good with the starcraft editor and ade missions with triggers and voiced story lines (by me :max: ) and briefings and everything... those where the days.

WArcraft 2 does infact S**T all over the original. :tomato:

punch999 08-01-2006 01:38 PM

we only ban people who annoy us for a long time and do extreamly stupid things\

*Happy* 09-01-2006 11:38 AM

In my view all 3 versions of warcraft have their good and bad points. Warcraft 1 is an excellent and very fun game, but has some major flaws. The first one is the interface (but then again Dune 2's interface is even worse), but the one that bugs me most is the Daemons and Elementals. These units cost no resources and are far stronger than any other unit in the game. Once players get the Conjurers and Warlocks needed to summon them the game becomes a race to see who can summon more of these in the lesat time. The only other important unit once you reach this stage is the Catapult. All the Archers, knights etc. become irelevant. Also, the hunams get better spells - healing for example is far superior to raise dead. Still, a good grasp of strategy is needed to win the game, especially if you agree not to use Daemons/Elementals, and this is what I like in a stratgy game. Warcraft I is simple, fun and rewards intelligent tactics.

My main problem with II and III is the change in the story. I really prefer the classic evil orcs vs. good humans medieval matchup. Already in warcraft 2 we have elves, trolls, goblins, gnomes, dwarves and who knows what, none of which is mentioned in the first game (the third game moves on to add Vampires, Night elves etc. - in fact very similar to the standard fantasy fare - I liked how Warcraft 1 could just take 2 simple races and make a good story and fun game). The rapid increase in gunpowder weapons, torpedoes and similar bugs me (if the ships use heavy cannons, why do the infantry still use swords and catapults) - and in warcraft 3 it gets worse - mortars and riflemen! What's next - apache helicopters and lasers?!? Also what annoys me is the change in the orc's mentality from game to game: in I they're just purely cruel and evil, in II they're cruel, but wacky and stupid, and in III they suddenly change to some sort of honourable warriors (really, you expext me to believe these are the same critters?). Oh yes, and in Warcraft II the units move much faster than in Warcraft I and the archers have a ridiculously short range, removing any sort of tactics when fighting with non-magic using land units like Footmen, Knights, Archers etc.

--End of rant--

jalte s?rensen 23-02-2006 05:15 PM

Have any of ever heard of WarCraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans.....
the warcraft-adventure game, which Blizzard cancelled.

you can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_Adve...rd_of_the_Clans
and here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/warcraft-adve...rd-of-the-clans

do any of you know if there were any BETA-version ever released??? and if it can be downloaded somewere????

cause i would like to know..

such a game would fit nice to this wonderful site.

you can see some of the pictures and screenshots from the game here:
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery/thumb...album=14&page=1

and you can download the prewiev to the game here:
http://files.filefront.com/war3adventure/;...;/fileinfo.html

punch999 23-02-2006 10:27 PM

1 Don't double post

2 Blizzard is esa so the game wouldn't allow it anway if it was released.

3 and we don't put betas on the site

Gamefreak 24-02-2006 07:53 AM

1. Where did he double-post?
3. Are you now the site owner and decide whatever is added and what not?

I know of WarCraft Adventures, they stopped it pretty early after they decided it. But I suspect that whoever the beta-testers were, they wouldn't release the game for everybody, maybe just because they would've been prohibited from that.

UnHoly Ram 14-03-2006 06:16 PM

Can you CTRL-# to assign a hot key to a group of units like you could in later games? It makes it a lot easier for handling more than one group of units?

The Fifth Horseman 15-03-2006 12:05 PM

Not as far as I know.
Also, you can select only 4 units at a time.

Guess what, Blizzard just didn't think of their current solutions back then.

Blood-Pigggy 15-03-2006 07:48 PM

Uh yes you can.
I own the original on a CD so I should know. :P
But I'm not sure if it works on this version, as far as I can remember, there were two versions released, a floppy version (came on about three or so floppies) and the disk version, the floppy one had some stuff missing, to free up space (mostly scripting, since most games sizes' were largely composed of scripts) I think one of those things were the numbering system, another was the ability to use the shift button to select all your units (you had to drag).
It was lame, thankfully I lost the floppy version and found the Warcraft Battlechest back in 97, which was definitely worth the 30$ bucks it was charged back then.

WoW.ServerDown 24-04-2006 04:27 PM

World of warcraft ( WoW) is best of them all :P. If it only wasnt for the 13 euro per week payment...
anyway server is down so im DL-ing smtg to pass the time >.<

Eliniver 24-04-2006 09:22 PM

I always favored WC3 above them all. WC2 comes in an extremely close tie, WarCraft 1 can simply be aggravating with the 4-unit-groups, and units have trouble with movement underground (say hello to the walls).

Hehe...WoW is supreme overall, but among all the RTS ones, yes, WC3. The map editor is extremely flexible, too...
---
WarCraft Adventures was quite promising...however, there has been a campaign or two made for WarCraft III that tells Thrall's tale.

Dan N. 02-07-2006 02:10 PM

Hey, it's me, Dan N. (you know the new Romanian guy). Anyway, I was just wondering, :sos: do you know anywhere I can find a manual for Warcraft I in a word document format? I don't have the Reader because my computer is to old for it to run :crybaby: . Anyways, I know how to play Warcraft, but I'm curios if I'm missing anything, so that's why I need the manual. Can someone please tell me where I can find it? Please?

Scatty 02-07-2006 06:52 PM

I don't think you'll have any luck with that, mate. I did some search on the net and through some P2P programs, but it's everywhere the same - PDF manuals. Guess you'll have to follow the progress and get a new PC... :whistling:

heLL0 02-07-2006 11:21 PM

I got the original, I'll see if I can put the manual somewhere for download.

Dan N. 02-07-2006 11:43 PM

Ok, HeLLo Centrifuga er... guy... thanks a lot :brain: . And does anybody know where I can find Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness full version free download. :titan: I'm an Orc slayin' mood. And Scatty... err... guy... I'm just wondering... what's with the lyrics. (oh, and I apologise in advance for any bad spelling and/or grammar :blink: )

Dan N. 02-07-2006 11:45 PM

Oh, and I just remembered... Why do I need an e-mail adress to get registered? I'm having some trouble finding a way to make one... :wallbash:

Scatty 03-07-2006 06:00 AM

Go to msn.com and register there for a free hotmail account, then you have one. About the lyrics, play the game and find out :sneaky:

Dan N. 03-07-2006 09:59 AM

Ok, man, thanks a lot... You really pulled me out of a jam... :kosta:

The Fifth Horseman 03-07-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

And does anybody know where I can find Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness full version free download.[/b]
That, would be illegal.
We don't allow warez on the forum.

mikrosom 12-07-2006 10:45 AM

the best strategy game i have ever played, it is simple but great, 100th time better then warcraft 3

Jprez 17-07-2006 11:14 AM

I'm a huge Warcraft fan and was stunned when I found you guys had the original. I've been fiddling w/ it for some time and can't figure out how to get it to work. I have completed the setup, but when I run war.exe it prompts me to a blank monitor. Is there any way to get it to work or change my video settings.

:(

The Fifth Horseman 17-07-2006 02:09 PM

Use DosBox.

Guest 19-07-2006 12:12 AM

The good thing with Warcraft 2, is that it is very easy to buy in a win-version that works - which would be much, much better than a pirat-version that dosent work that good.
Plus when it is a classic like Warcraft 2, i dont care if i have to through money at it.
I will gladly pay for something that is worth the money.

Scatty 19-07-2006 05:44 AM

That's all good, but this is a thread about Warcraft 1 :)

zori 26-07-2006 03:27 PM

just awesome game although i first had only demo version (looong time ago) played that for hours and when i got full version to my hands played even more ;\

Yobor 26-07-2006 04:46 PM

I'm sooo glad this can be downloaded again. This is one of my favourite games of all time.

zori 26-07-2006 05:20 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Yobor @ Jul 26 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]245252[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I'm sooo glad this can be downloaded again. This is one of my favourite games of all time.
[/b]
same here even that its old game and has 2nd and 3rd chapters as well i still like 1 most from warcraft series
and well order in em is 1 > 2 > 3 :blink:

Scatty 26-07-2006 08:22 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zori @ Jul 26 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]245256[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

same here even that its old game and has 2nd and 3rd chapters as well i still like 1 most from warcraft series
and well order in em is 1 > 2 > 3 :blink:
[/b]
Heh, you know that's really funny, but you're right. The first part is indeed better than the second, and the second is better than the third. Well, seeing it in the game-fun value.

XoutbackX 01-08-2006 06:57 PM

ugh why dose every body think that war craft 1 is so good i think number three beets them all here

XoutbackX 02-08-2006 04:23 AM

don"t any body agree???? <_<

Scatty 02-08-2006 06:12 AM

I don't agree, in my opinion Warcraft III has not much to offer in singleplayer besides nice graphics, and gameplay fun is quickly depleted, while playing on Battle-Net isn't much more than mindless hunting the opponent town and storming all your units into a almost chaotical mass battle.
I remember playing Warcraft 1 for much longer and more often than I ever played Warcraft III. It's only today that when there're games with great graphics one thinks they're all better than games of the past, but graphics is not everything, there's gamefun too.

Big T 13-08-2006 01:49 PM

Hey Guys!
This version of Warcraft has a major bug on level 7.I can't believe that nobody has talked about that bug in this forum.Anyway once you install this game on your computer you've to install the uppgrade aka patch 1.21.You can download the upgrade from Blizzard Entertainment website

Grand Dad 14-08-2006 12:31 PM

Paradoxically I agree and disagree on both counts :max:

Warcraft 1 was great but then I've liked 3 also and sometimes still play both. Couldn't get 2 :(

Nitemare 03-09-2006 02:41 AM

I remember when i first played this game...i was like.....6 LOL... i thought it was the coolest game in the world ( i still do) but one thing i miss in this version is where theres speech in the briefings...then after the speech it would cut to a scene closing in on like a building or something... but i noticed the version on here is the "floppy" version..i had the CD version.. but i lost my copy..my dad sold it like a year after LOL... then i saw it in a thrift store last week...I saw it just laying there waiting for me... I was like some one has to be S***ing me... then i found out some one just pocketed the CD and left the Jewel case laying there... LOL so i'm like D***! LOL... so i'm still on the search for a reasonable price for a cd version... the place i saw it at...wanted like $3 US for it... LOL well i'm done ranting...hahaha

---Nitemare

zori 27-10-2006 09:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(XoutbackX @ Aug 1 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]246343[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

ugh why dose every body think that war craft 1 is so good i think number three beets them all here
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(XoutbackX @ Aug 2 2006, 04:23 AM) [snapback]246391[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

don"t any body agree???? <_<
[/b]

i disagree :titan:

yoga 05-11-2006 05:34 PM

Hi, there,

I like Warcraft 1 and want to play with a friend in my local 2- PC network.
But I am unable to play cause " You have floppy disk game" - ?!
Can You play it in net?
Pls any help will be highly appreciated.

Thankful yog
:kosta:

zori 06-11-2006 01:19 PM

no idea what 'you have floppy disk game' and generally if you have modem & connection you can play warcraft 1 without problems (i think) but there is way
to play with bit *cough* more modern connections aswell by using some of those err.. what they are called 'virtual lan' programs dunno what they really are called gotta check rules if im even allowed to link some here but not entirely sure if it works through those either

The Fifth Horseman 07-11-2006 01:12 PM

As far as I know, Warcraft 1 does not support LAN games. It does, however, support null-modem connection.

Lord Keith 13-11-2006 12:39 AM

First I have to say that abadonia should be a compeny with real paying jobs cause you desirve get every penny what your doing.

Sorry didn't felt like registering.

I love warcraft all the way. But my question is why doesn't warcraft have the full stuff like in the mission briefing you had those characters talk?

Saphire 13-11-2006 06:31 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lord Keith @ Nov 13 2006, 02:39 AM) [snapback]266608[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

First I have to say that abadonia should be a compeny with real paying jobs cause you desirve get every penny what your doing.

Sorry didn't felt like registering.

I love warcraft all the way. But my question is why doesn't warcraft have the full stuff like in the mission briefing you had those characters talk?
[/b]
Simply because this version is a rip. Look at it's size, it's only 5 mb in a zip archive. Full version of Warcraft is around 100 mb large, with full briefing speech and full FLI videos.

The Fifth Horseman 13-11-2006 12:56 PM

Incorrect, Saphire.
There was the CD version of the game which included full speech and movies and the FDD version in which these were not included.
Obviusly, the one on Abandonia is the FDD one because of size constraints.

Lord Keith 13-11-2006 01:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 13 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]266705[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Incorrect, Saphire.
There was the CD version of the game which included full speech and movies and the FDD version in which these were not included.
[/b]
Then why don't you have the full version cause if you can have flashback cd which has like 85 mb then why can't you have the full version of warcraft 1.

The Fifth Horseman 13-11-2006 01:36 PM

A full CD version of Warcraft 1 would be far larger then 85 mb. ^_^
In fact it would be over 400 mb, and thus far too large to be hosted on Abandonia.

Saphire 13-11-2006 02:24 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 13 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]266719[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

A full CD version of Warcraft 1 would be far larger then 85 mb. ^_^
In fact it would be over 400 mb, and thus far too large to be hosted on Abandonia.
[/b]
A full cd version of Warcraft 1 is only 97+ mb large, not 400, as said above. I know what I'm talking about as I have the full cd version of Warcraft.
It's not Warcraft II after all (which is also just around 15 mb large without the cd music and videos, btw.), it's Warcraft 1 with speech and videos in FLI format.

The Fifth Horseman 13-11-2006 02:45 PM

In that case, it may be a good idea to send a PM to Kosta and tell him about it.

By the way, it's 97 MB when you pack all the files from the CD into a single archive, right?
The value of 400 MB I gave was basing on an ISO image of said CD packed using 7-Zip.

Saphire 13-11-2006 07:26 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 13 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]266736[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

By the way, it's 97 MB when you pack all the files from the CD into a single archive, right?
The value of 400 MB I gave was basing on an ISO image of said CD packed using 7-Zip.
[/b]
No, 97 mb is the size of all files on the Warcraft CD, not some ISO put into an archive. Just imagine, Warcraft 1 was such a small game, what a suprise huh? ^_^

The Fifth Horseman 14-11-2006 09:09 AM

Quite so. ^_^

Treewyrm 14-11-2006 11:28 PM

Eeh... Weren't there audio tracks on CD release?

Saphire 15-11-2006 07:23 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treewyrm @ Nov 15 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]267013[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Eeh... Weren't there audio tracks on CD release?
[/b]
Not in Warcraft. There were CD audio tracks in Warcraft II though.

Mousazz 04-01-2007 09:38 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondSoul @ Feb 10 2005, 05:29 AM) [snapback]64346[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

:w00t: Ooooh, awesome awesome game, this is a real jewel, I highly recommend. Such a feeling of nostalgia!

My tips for the game:
-If the level allows it, tech to Daemon as fast as possible :evil:
[/b]
or water elementals

Scatty 06-01-2007 08:25 AM

Demons are actually stronger than the water elementals. And they look more cool :ph34r:
The only thing that a water elemental can do better than a demon is that it attacks from a small range (while the demon attacks in melee), but it doesn't make up for it I think. It's shorter than even this of the spearmen or warlocks and when demon fights the elemental demon almost always wins. Therefore I always preferred orcs and their demons when playing.

Mousazz 15-02-2007 03:11 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 13 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]266705[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Incorrect, Saphire.
[/b]
but you have the CD version in the secret room, wich only VIPs, ADMINs and OWNER can unlock. You're teasing us right? or do you want to encourage us to be like 'The fifth horseman" here, and not like "Sebatianos" (poor guy ^_^ ). anyway, i'm not so sure. after three or more months, okay?
B.T.W.: sorry for being :offtopic:

Hey, mix up "Command & Conquer", "Dune 2", "Warcraft", "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" and "Starcraft" stories. Just imagine soviets attacking ordos, while terrans and humans attacking nods together. Man, that would be a blast (warcraft soldiers would be giants in both size and strengh, that means one footman could kill five NOD troopers, ten SOVIET conscripts and a zealot).

The Fifth Horseman 15-02-2007 03:25 PM

Mousazz, please take a deep breath and step away from your computer for a few minutes. I already had to remove two of your posts from this thread simply because they were utter spam. If I have to remove any more, admins will be contacted.

Quote:

but you have the CD version in the secret room, wich only VIPs, ADMINs and OWNER can unlock.[/b]
Part of the regulations is to not discuss VIP content outside the VIP forum. Let's just say that it is as much possible the VIP doesn't have this game and end it at that.

RyuRanX 12-03-2007 06:58 PM

This game is a little frustrating if you have played Warcraft II or III before. Its hard to get used to select just four units at a time =D

The Fifth Horseman 13-03-2007 12:26 PM

Lack of the "Intelligent Right-Click" also may be inconvenient at first.
But does it matter? It's still a lovely game!

Scatty 13-03-2007 08:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Mar 13 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]283394[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Lack of the "Intelligent Right-Click" also may be inconvenient at first. [/b]
You can issue commands with the keyboard though, by pressing the beginning letters of each command, like A for attack or M for move and using the mouse for the remaining directing. That makes up relatively fine for the lack of the right-click steering once you get used to it.

Guest 28-03-2007 02:08 AM

Where's the music? I hear the units speaking, but no background music!

The Fifth Horseman 28-03-2007 07:20 AM

Your problem description is insufficient for us to provide a proper answer.

Please answer the following questions:
1. What operating system do you have?
2. Did you try using VDMSound or DosBox to run the game?
3. What exact steps did you follow when trying to run the game?
4. Did you configure the game's soundcard settings correctly?

Bossman 15-04-2007 07:14 AM

while ive never posted here, i love the site.

i can safely state that playing the original Warcraft at the age of six way back when is one of the main things that turned me into the nerd i am today (the others being left alone infront of the blank DOS screen at the age of 4, and the super nintendo)

still have my original disk.

great game, might have to load it up again sometime.

Guest 18-04-2007 08:22 PM

same message appears to me too. BTW any1 knows how to download this game warcraft 1 any other way than this?

The Fifth Horseman 19-04-2007 12:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 18 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]287400[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

same message appears to me too.
[/b]
What message? :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 18 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]287400[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

BTW anyone knows how to download this game warcraft 1 any other way than this?[/b]
May I ask what's wrong with this version?

TheOtherAussie 11-05-2007 05:26 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Aug 2 2006, 06:12 AM) [snapback]246395[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I don't agree, in my opinion Warcraft III has not much to offer in singleplayer besides nice graphics, and gameplay fun is quickly depleted, while playing on Battle-Net isn't much more than mindless hunting the opponent town and storming all your units into a almost chaotical mass battle.
I remember playing Warcraft 1 for much longer and more often than I ever played Warcraft III. It's only today that when there're games with great graphics one thinks they're all better than games of the past, but graphics is not everything, there's gamefun too.
[/b]
To sum up what this guy said:

Gameplay > Graphics

My all-time favourite was Warcraft 2, it was the first of the Warcraft series I was introduced to (I'm sure if I played Warcraft 1 first it would've been my favourite). Mind you, every game Blizzard has made has appealed to me in great ways (except the Diablo series, I never really liked the RPG stuff until WoW).

The reason why I liked Warcraft 2 the most was simply the fast game-play. It was fast-paced with strategic value. I only played Warcraft 1 the first time in 2003, mainly because I didn't do much searching/surfing on the web till then. I've played it, several hours, and worshiped it! It was the beginning of my favourite game series, it started it all. Relatively easy too, but, it has it's challenging factors.

Warcraft 3 was a great game, mainly for the leadup to WoW in storyline (though I admit I hated the idea of WoW before I really got into it, I'm not a big RPG fan - until now that is!).

The thing I find truly amazing is that Blizzard has always made top-sellers, and is still a standalone business not bought out by those fools at EA. Warcraft 1 may have been the best, but let me add that the others were excellent.

10/10 for all warcraft games!
Dune 2 is a great game also! I found it easier to play on Sega Megadrive though..

Icewolf 11-05-2007 07:16 AM

You might put your cheers for the warcraft games in the Community Reviews section. That's where the community can put their own game reviews... :sneaky: (that was hard!)

velik_m 11-05-2007 06:22 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheOtherAussie @ May 11 2007, 05:26 AM) [snapback]289892[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

The thing I find truly amazing is that Blizzard has always made top-sellers, and is still a standalone business not bought out by those fools at EA. Warcraft 1 may have been the best, but let me add that the others were excellent.

[/b]
Blizzard is a subsidiary of Vivendi.

FoGeL 11-05-2007 07:35 PM

Starcraft-Broodwar is much much better. Especially in Multiplayer ;)

Guest 30-05-2007 06:15 PM

i could only control just 1 unit at once which is kinda ridiculous. i end up using 1 deamon with orcs or 1 water-elemental with humans when playing this game. not one of my favorite games :max:

Japo 30-05-2007 06:20 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 30 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]292185[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i could only control just 1 unit at once which is kinda ridiculous. i end up using 1 deamon with orcs or 1 water-elemental with humans when playing this game. not one of my favorite games :max:[/b]
I think you could click and drag to select several units... I'm pretty sure there was some way but it was long ago.

Eagle of Fire 30-05-2007 06:45 PM

By keeping CTRL pressed, I think you can group up to 4 units at the same time...

Scatty 30-05-2007 08:45 PM

... by drawing a square around them. Or you press SHIFT and click on each unit that you want to add to the group. Clicking on a unit in the group while holding SHIFT de-selects them from the group again.

Lyana 10-06-2007 07:53 PM

Hello!
I don't think that someone will see this post but I try...
I wanted to play warcraft so I've downloaded it.
I really don't know dosbox but when I type install it doesn't work.
Actually there isn't any .exe called install in the folder.
I'm lost, so if someone read this help me please! :sos:
Thx
PS: my english isn't perfect, sorry, it isn't my maternal language

Tulac 10-06-2007 08:11 PM

Check this topic out (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=14913), there's lots of help for people unfamiliar with dosbox, if you'll still be having problems don't hesitate to ask.

Guest 12-06-2007 01:22 AM

amm dude.... wheres the music!!! i know its a very good game but without music i cant play it!!!! does someone has an .iso of it?? (an image of the cd) if someone has it send me a message *email removed*

Scatty 12-06-2007 06:53 AM

Run setup.exe, set music to one of the Soundblaster cards. Enjoy.

The Fifth Horseman 12-06-2007 01:39 PM

First question is, are you using DosBox to run it?

Blood-Pigggy 13-06-2007 07:56 PM

Does this include the intro cinematic? I have the game on CD but I misplaced it, I could care less about the game itself, I've played it to death, but I want to know if this download includes the intro, it's the one with the voice over detailing the war between the sides and shows a few images of their respective sides.

The Fifth Horseman 14-06-2007 10:36 AM

IIRC, it does.

Blood-Pigggy 14-06-2007 11:53 PM

You must have recalled incorrectly because after downloading it to make sure it doesn't, it doesn't even have the speech for the briefings.

Now I'll have to look for that damn disc.

The Fifth Horseman 15-06-2007 09:25 AM

I remember the floppy version I had did have a narrated intro. It didn't have speech in the briefings.

Blood-Pigggy 15-06-2007 05:06 PM

Strange, they must have ripped it to reduce the size, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, the CD version alone, even with the voices is only around 30 meg.

Lyana 15-06-2007 05:28 PM

Hello! It's still me!

I looked at your link, but I still can't install Warcraft.
I did the "Abandonia's Official DosBox Guide" and succeed to install the game FlashBack.
But I have a problem with Warcraft. The command "install" doesn't work for a simple reason the executable doesn't even exist. There is no install.exe in the folder .zip, there are war, setup, etc...
The file readme.txt just say to enter install...
What do I do wrong? You don't have to use "install"?

Merci d'avance

Mighty Midget 15-06-2007 05:42 PM

First, are you sure you have to actually install it? For most of the games on Abandonia, you only need to run setup for sound (DOSBox default is SB16 at irq 7, dma 1 and adresse 220)

If running setup doesn't work or help, please name all com, exe and bat file in your games folder/directory.

Sebatianos 15-06-2007 06:02 PM

Ah yes, that readme file is probably from the original game, but I'm 99% sure (as Mighty Midged said) that the game is already preinstalled - so you only need to unzip and play (if there's no sound you may want to reconfigure, but it's optional).

Acctually by trying to re-install the game, you can mess things up and will have to delete the folder and start from the begining.

Blood-Pigggy 15-06-2007 07:06 PM

Yes, all you will need to do is run the Setup file, (or just run the Warcraft one, it'll redirect you) and there you can set up your sound (which is why it will redirect you in the first place) you can pick whatever you want there, DosBox will correctly emulate it no matter what you choose (unless you take no sound) and from that point on you can play.

Lyana 15-06-2007 07:39 PM

Hello!

Thank you! You were right! (I'm so stupid :wallbash: )
It works now!
There's just a little problem with the sound, there is sound but it's very bad.
I tried to change sounds settings but there is no change...
But the game works, so I'm happy!! :brain:

Thx

Blood-Pigggy 16-06-2007 02:44 AM

How's the sound bad?
Like what're you hearing exactly? Is it choppy?

Lyana 16-06-2007 02:57 PM

Hello!
I don't know what "choppy" means...
Every about 2sec the sound make a "leap", a bit like listenning to a scratched CD.
I can play with, but it would be better with a correct sound.
Do you have a suggestion?

Japo 16-06-2007 03:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lyana @ Jun 16 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]294706[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Every about 2sec the sound make a "leap", a bit like listenning to a scratched CD.[/b]
"Choppy" means exactly that. You know there are certain things called dictionaries: :P

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=choppy

I'd bet it's the cycles, either too low or too high, change them. What value are you using?

Lyana 16-06-2007 04:07 PM

Ok, I looked "choppy" in my french dictionary, it says "(mer) agitée" which means "restless (sea)", so I wasn't very sure of the meaning ^_^
I don't know what "cycles" means on a computer, how, where can I find the value that I'm using?

(I know that I'm very long to understand, but I'm a poor little swiss girl who learnt english at school, so be tolerant :wub:)

Mighty Midget 16-06-2007 04:15 PM

Think of "cycles" as the "speed" DOSBox runs your game, that should be enough. Too low or too high speed may cause some strange effects, especially with sound.

To cange the "speed", you can press

Ctrl f-12 to increase
Ctrl f-11 to decrease

OR you can set the initial cycles in your DOSBox configuration file.

To get a Cycles reading, just run DOSBox in a small window and you can read it off the top bar in that window.

Lyana 16-06-2007 04:34 PM

Hello!
Thanks. So, my Cpu Cycles is 3000 and in DOSBox.conf, it's written cycles=auto.
About which value should I take to play Warcraft? Less or more than 3000?

Mighty Midget 16-06-2007 04:49 PM

3000 is low, try to set it in the 10.000-15.000 range, use the f-11/12 keys to adjust. See if this wil do the trick.

Lyana 16-06-2007 05:02 PM

Thanks.
I tried to put 10000 and 15000, but when I start the game, it's written max instead of the value.
The sound is still choppy.
What could I do?

Mighty Midget 16-06-2007 05:13 PM

What are your sound settings in the games's configuration, that is: What sound card did you choose and what values for IRQ, DMA and Adresse (+ any others if any)?

Also, what processor does your computer have, and how much memory (RAM)? DOSBox is rather resource hungry when running even the smallest games.

Japo 16-06-2007 05:25 PM

Auto sets it at 3,000 at the command prompt since very little processor power is needed there, but then sets it at max for the game and that's excessive. A game running fine except for choppy sound because of too high cycles is very typical of DOSBox.

Do edit dosbox.conf and change "cycles=auto" to "cycles=10000" or whatever value gets you good sound and performance.

KARABASAN 22-06-2007 09:04 PM

Warcraft foreveerrrrrr ...

Austin 13-07-2007 08:42 PM

hey how do i use this, i have windows xp but i dont know how to run the game or anything pleasre help my email is [BEEEP]@aol.com

The Fifth Horseman 16-07-2007 08:40 AM

A Beginner's Guide to DOSBox

Guest_Ripperian_* 22-09-2007 05:10 PM

Anyone tried to play Warcraft with DOSBOX's IPXNET?

I connect with my brother successfully, but the game run slowly...

The game run perfect on singleplayer, but not through IPXNET.

Could anybody play without problems?

Juanca 06-12-2007 01:33 AM

This is how all began. great game!!
This are my tips:
attack always a sinlge target at a time
farms are very good walls or barriers, as they are very strong. and you can place some archers behind.
This game is a classic. very nice.

Blitzen 20-04-2008 03:38 AM

Halp!

I am looking for the Warcract: Orcs and Humans Knowledge Base file (war1.knw) for Wardraft, a program that you can use to go in and look at the resources inside the .war files. If anyone has it or knows where I can find it, please send me a line at starfighterzoot@hotmail.com. Thanks!

The Great Duck 12-12-2008 09:14 PM

I have got a problem with the setup.When I hit the down arrow,nothing happens,so I can only play without sounds.How can it be solved?

The Fifth Horseman 12-12-2008 09:46 PM

Are you running it in DOSBox?

The Great Duck 13-12-2008 08:39 AM

I have tried both DOSBox and VDMSound,and this problem appears in both.

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2008 10:03 AM

What keyboard layout are you using?

The Great Duck 13-12-2008 10:41 AM

QWERTY,if you mean that,but it is set to behave as QWERTZ.

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2008 01:41 PM

Which country variant, exactly?
DOSBox may require certain tweaks in the config file for users with keyboard layouts differing from the US-standard QWERTY.
(and if yours is set to QWERTZ, that might be part of the problem too).

Does the down arrow key work in other programs?

The Great Duck 13-12-2008 03:10 PM

It works in other DOS games and their setups.I have tried to switch to QWERTY mode with ALT-Shift,but it still doesnt work.

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2008 04:09 PM

Did you try using the numpad instead?

The Great Duck 13-12-2008 06:11 PM

Not.But I found another version that works on another site,so I wont bother you anymore.

morgoth123 26-03-2009 12:14 PM

Hey Hello, i have a problem with this game :(

http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dibujosxu.jpg

Need Help!! thxs

dosraider 26-03-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgoth123 (Post 357724)
Hey Hello, i have a problem with this game :(

http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dibujosxu.jpg

Need Help!! thxs

Run the game in dosbox.

If you never used it, read:
>A beginner's guide to DosBox<
:)

morgoth123 26-03-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 357727)
Run the game in dosbox.

If you never used it, read:
>A beginner's guide to DosBox<
:)

ty i'll try to translate all ^^

baruko 15-04-2009 01:44 PM

How I download the game?

dosraider 15-04-2009 02:44 PM

You click on 'Download this game'.

BTW, be sure to set your language to English, there is a bug that sets the game as 'no go' in other languages.

BranjoHello 16-04-2009 12:42 AM

I'm a big Warcraft fan(since WarII on Pentium 166 and the year 2000), so checking out how it all started is pure pleasure. :lust:

Only thingy that annoys me is the lack of double-click for sending troops where you want them.:mad:

Eagle of Fire 16-04-2009 03:00 AM

Yes. Well, it was one of the first RTS of its time. You can select up to 4 units at the same time by dragging a box with CTRL I think, btw. It was a huge improvement on older titles (like Dune II) when it shipped. ;)

But for me, Warcraft: Orc and Human > Warcraft II.

Scatty 16-04-2009 06:48 AM

That's what I'd say too. There's nothing like summoning a demon with a warlock and see it going on rampage, killing almost every unit with just one hit. Only Warcraft III offered similar impressive summons again.

WCFAN 20-04-2009 10:02 PM

To get past level 7 on the Human campaign you need to update the client. I've downloaded the patch v1.21, but after applying it, you need to verify the game.....

Inquisitor 15-05-2009 09:06 AM

good old warcraft - I remember playing it through in one Day. Was the first time I really fell asleep at school *g*

red_avatar 15-05-2009 04:16 PM

I first played the demo on the PC Gamer cover disks - while it really would have benefited from being able to select a bunch of units, it's still a very fun game. To think this lies at the basis of the biggest and most popular PC game ever ...

kylerl2788 06-06-2009 04:38 AM

help!

someone help! i have dosbox and i have downloaded the game but i cant figure out how to get the game to open using it! i have windows vista, thats why i downloaded dosbox. anyone able to help??

zirkoni 06-06-2009 07:23 AM

DOSBox beginner's guide:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?&t=14406
"war.exe" starts te game.

WildKarrde 05-07-2009 04:53 PM

Such an amazing game! People give C&C too much credit in my opinion. WarCraft was the true trend setter for RTS games.

Scatty 05-07-2009 08:00 PM

Well C&C was also just inspired by Dune II.

The Fifth Horseman 06-07-2009 06:52 AM

...and it's not like Dune 2 was 100% original either.

another_guest 06-07-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 374168)
...and it's not like Dune 2 was 100% original either.

Even if we're in a Warcraft topic, what were the predecessors of Dune 2? I know there are some (so I'm not doubting your comment ;)) but I have no idea which RTS games were earlier than Dune 2, it was the first one I ever played.

The Fifth Horseman 06-07-2009 03:43 PM

To name three:
Final Frontier (1989)
Herzog Zwei (1989)
Battletech: Crescent Hawks Revenge (1990)

another_guest 07-07-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 374267)
To name three:
Final Frontier (1989)
Herzog Zwei (1989)

Thanks! Those names do ring a bell but only because I've seen them before on Abandonia :)
Back to Warcraft, the second and third never held the same "magic" for me as the very first one, in spite of the clear innovations they brought

Scatty 07-07-2009 10:12 PM

Yes I agree there, the first Warcraft was different than the following two parts in a way, it has a special stern atmosphere that Warcraft II and III don't, imo.

red_avatar 08-07-2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 374267)
To name three:
Final Frontier (1989)
Herzog Zwei (1989)

To be fair though, Dune 2 was the first to combine all sorts of ideas into a single game: different units for different factions, a base to build + defenses, resources to gather, factories to make units & vehicles, map-based territory, etc.

Warcraft actually didn't change much about this - despite Blizzard having a lot of fans, they really mostly just took other people's ideas, changed them a little, and made a killing. Blizzard's success lies in polishing up existing formulas - WoW ripped off Everquest for like 80% for example, credit which is rarely given sadly enough.

In any case, Warcraft is a good game but it still had all the weaknesses Dune 2 had: where Dune 2 used slabs, Warcraft used roads. Warcaft's interface was rigid and slow too, you could only select one unit at a time, the story was rather simple and only divulged between missions, etc. In fact, in several places, it was a step backwards.

Scatty 08-07-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar (Post 374694)
you could only select one unit at a time

That's actually not true, you can select up to 4, I think, units as a group by pressing and holding Shift and clicking on each individually, or by pressing and holding CTRL and drawing a rectangle around some of the units, if there're more than 4 they'll be randomly selected I think.

The Fifth Horseman 08-07-2009 09:23 AM

Scatty is correct.

red_avatar 08-07-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 374721)
That's actually not true, you can select up to 4, I think, units as a group by pressing and holding Shift and clicking on each individually, or by pressing and holding CTRL and drawing a rectangle around some of the units, if there're more than 4 they'll be randomly selected I think.

You SURE that the original version allowed for this? I'll need to check but it's the first time I heard about that. Or maybe I just never tried holding CTRL :p.

Scatty 08-07-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar (Post 374775)
You SURE that the original version allowed for this? I'll need to check but it's the first time I heard about that. Or maybe I just never tried holding CTRL :p.

Well I don't know if the earliest versions, and what versions there were, didn't have this feature included yet, but the version that I have allows to select the units in such a way, same if I apply a patch on the game's CD to upgrade it to a newer version.

Japo 08-07-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar (Post 374775)
Or maybe I just never tried holding CTRL :p.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...70fba3768b.jpg

LOL

red_avatar 09-07-2009 03:40 AM

There was no manual with the Demo :p and I never played the full game that much either. I only bought it 5 years later and it was just to have. Pizza Tycoon, which I bought at the same time, was far more fun.

another_guest 09-07-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar (Post 374694)
... In any case, Warcraft is a good game but it still had all the weaknesses Dune 2 had: where Dune 2 used slabs, Warcraft used roads. Warcaft's interface was rigid and slow too, you could only select one unit at a time, the story was rather simple and only divulged between missions, etc. In fact, in several places, it was a step backwards.

True, and yet so addictive. Come to think of it, most of the later RTS games are nearly clones from Dune 2, Warcraft and the likes. The major reason why I preferred more recent games is the improved interface; other than that there was often little evolution.
By the way, hello from Brugge (though I'm leaving on holiday as of tomorrow)

red_avatar 10-07-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_guest (Post 375092)
True, and yet so addictive. Come to think of it, most of the later RTS games are nearly clones from Dune 2, Warcraft and the likes. The major reason why I preferred more recent games is the improved interface; other than that there was often little evolution.
By the way, hello from Brugge (though I'm leaving on holiday as of tomorrow)

Aah a fellow Belgian :p Welcome!

And there's more than that in terms of evolution:

- grouping of units
- defense stances (very important tactically)
- unit specials
- terrain height advantages
- different resources to gather
- interactive stories during the mission

Most of that may not seem that big but combined it means a lot more depth to the game.

FarSeerPT 09-09-2009 07:17 PM

Still i prefer Warcraft lll : The frozen throne.

Online is just... godlike

liamz0r 15-09-2009 12:03 PM

Wierd things?

Thanks alot for the upload, great game!

However, I seam to have some problems that either is the games fault (?) or mine.

First of all, it seams like the "voicing" during the campain text isin't working. All the other sounds music, units cinematics ect work. But for some reason each senario intro doesn't have any "speech" wich is pretty dull :(

Second problem. My keyboard "scroll" is ultrafast, even on slow it's extremly hard not to fly over the map. While the mouse scroll doesn't work att all unless I got something unusable (like a goldmine) selected.

Acethor 15-09-2009 01:24 PM

It's not the game's fault... the campaign text is supposed to have digitized speech. Did you activate the digitized speech in the setup? If thats not the problem then maybe you are using a ripped version of Warcraft that doesn't include the speech.

Luchsen 15-09-2009 02:02 PM

You should get it at the ISO Cellar. 5MB is a rip, the full game is nine times larger.

The Fifth Horseman 15-09-2009 04:34 PM

5 MB is the floppy version.
Cutscenes are slideshows, and there is no voice-over in mission briefings.

The CD version has video cutscenes and voice-overs in briefings.

MrFlibble 18-09-2009 01:13 PM

I have a question concerning the CD version. In Warcraft II, the CD music has one more track for each side compared to the MIDI music (I'm not talking about new music from the expansion). In this respect, does the CD version of Warcraft have more music than the floppy version? (there are 3 in-game tracks for each side in the floppy version).

RRS 18-09-2009 06:01 PM

Warcraft CD has no redbook audio tracks (at least my Sold-Out edition doesn't have any).

MrFlibble 18-09-2009 08:26 PM

Really? Someone told me it has... Weird.

Gibby 03-11-2009 09:18 PM

Anyone else have the problem when running the game that moving the mouse to the edge of the screen doesn't scroll it and right clicking troops to a destination doesn't work either?

Scatty 04-11-2009 02:48 PM

In this original first Warcraft game right-clicking to direct units to a direction wasn't implemented yet so it doesn't work. You'll have to click on a move-button and left-click to a point you want a unit move to.
As for scrolling with the mouse on the edge of the screen, you'll have to left-click there first to start scrolling with mouse, other than scrolling with the direction keys on the keyboard.

The Fifth Horseman 04-11-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 387230)
You'll have to click on a move-button and left-click to a point you want a unit move to.

IIRC, you could just press M (the shortcut for "Move") and click the direction.

Gibby 05-11-2009 02:39 PM

ahh ok. Thanks.
I guess I just have to get used to it. Right clicking to move the screen everywhere works great for me.

Off to kill the orcish hordes

redtwist 05-12-2009 12:54 PM

Cant start it....

Im running dosbox 0.73 through vista and i can't open this game. When i try to run war.exe it says i need to do some modifications in setup.exe. Even when i select 'no sound' i can't open it. Any help?

Mighty Midget 05-12-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtwist (Post 390166)
Im running dosbox 0.73 through vista and i can't open this game. When i try to run war.exe it says i need to do some modifications in setup.exe. Even when i select 'no sound' i can't open it. Any help?

Does it say _which_ modifications? EMS to true or false?

redtwist 05-12-2009 05:05 PM

Cant start it

Here's the direct quote:

"Please run SETUP.EXE to properly configure WARCRAFT for your system"

The Fifth Horseman 05-12-2009 06:09 PM

Well, have you?

redtwist 06-12-2009 12:20 PM

Can't start it

That's the thing. No matter which options i pick in the setup file the same message always comes up when i try to start the game

MrFlibble 06-12-2009 01:01 PM

Looks like SETUP.EXE can't write the config file. Check if the folder where you installed Warcraft is not marked as read-only.

dosraider 06-12-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtwist (Post 390166)
Im running dosbox 0.73 through vista....

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19982
Use your personal folders in Vista....... even if you run as administrator.

bobson 06-12-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 390216)
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19982
Use your personal folders in Vista....... even if you run as administrator.

Or use a different partition - if your Warcraft folder is on C: it can be hard/impossible to change files :)

redtwist 09-12-2009 01:33 AM

Problem Solved

I wasnt running setup.exe through dosbox, just strait off the C drive. Selected the right options, works just fine.

Scatty 09-12-2009 07:18 AM

Then you must have mounted something incorrectly in DosBox, hence it didn't save the configuration file. Or it's an issue with Vista not giving DosBox access to modify files or something.

MrFlibble 01-02-2010 03:49 PM

It is often mentioned (e.g. in Wikipedia and on MobyGames) that Warcraft has a built-in random map generator for skirmish battles. However, I've always had the impression that the "Random Map"/"Random Town" function just randomly picks a map from the built-in set, and does not actually "generate" anything. Can anyone clarify this matter?

angry axe 02-02-2010 09:30 AM

im pretty sure that the maps are generated, but still kept to certain parameters

Michael11 25-06-2010 11:03 AM

How do I start this game? I downloaded the .zip file. I'm not really experienced with this type of gaming! ;) Thanks!

The Fifth Horseman 25-06-2010 02:09 PM

You need to unpack the ZIP somewhere and then use DOSBox to run the game.
A Beginner's Guide to DOSBox should come handy in that.

LadySky 29-07-2010 08:57 PM

Newbie from DOS games

Hi guys, i hope somebody still read this thread...
I rly need a help getting started with dos games like this one..
I downloaded it from your website but clicking on WAR.exe nothing happens, so i suppose i need something else to run it...

Help :(

_r.u.s.s. 29-07-2010 09:22 PM

you need to use dosbox

it has a lot of beginner's tutorials and easy introduction guide on the website

MrFlibble 30-07-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadySky (Post 410497)
clicking on WAR.exe nothing happens

I suppose that's because you need to run SETUP.EXE first and configure the sound and music card. Still, using DOSBox is a preferred method anyway.

Warcraft_Player 20-11-2010 09:54 AM

If anyone wants to play this online, please add me to MSN: [EDITED]

Orcs&HumansFTW 26-11-2010 03:19 AM

I got this game to work perfectly through Dosbox! :D Can anyone help me on how to adjust the screen size. LoL! It's tiny on my 1600x900 default resolution on my laptop.

dosraider 26-11-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcs&HumansFTW (Post 417835)
I got this game to work perfectly through Dosbox! :D Can anyone help me on how to adjust the screen size. LoL! It's tiny on my 1600x900 default resolution on my laptop.

Open dosbox config
-> Start menu -> dosbox 0.74 -> options -> dosbox 0.74 options

Look under header [SDL]
Adapt those lines:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=1024x768
output=ddraw

1024x768 can be any 4/3 format that suits you .....

Or do a ALT+ENTER to go full screen, but that's usually a bad idea on a 16/9 monitor ......

[Edit]
Editing dosbox conf needs a dosbox restart.

guestz 03-12-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 395660)
It is often mentioned (e.g. in Wikipedia and on MobyGames) that Warcraft has a built-in random map generator for skirmish battles. However, I've always had the impression that the "Random Map"/"Random Town" function just randomly picks a map from the built-in set, and does not actually "generate" anything. Can anyone clarify this matter?

You're right, it just picks a random map from a list of 7 forest, 7 swamp and 7 dungeon maps. Note that the AI will always have the same buildings and units on any given map.

Someone made a map editor a long time ago, but it was separate from the game itself (I think Warcraft 2 may have already been out by then).

MrFlibble 04-12-2010 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info! I've seen a link to the third-party Warcraft 1 map editor on some old fansite, but unfortunately it was broken.

yoga 04-12-2010 08:30 PM

8 level with humans

For me the level 8 was very hard.
(You need to free some peasants, because you have no one to start your development).
I remembered brutal battle afterward when I free the peasants;
large enemy forces attacked me.
I was like a runner. And save, save, save. At any cost one must keep wood catapult and at least 1 wizard if I am not wrong.
Then with this weapon I regularly killed one enemy peasant who prefer to collect woods near my village.
The trick was to use catapult to broke the fence around peasants, then return it at original position and with knights to kill the guards helping free ones to move very fast to yr village. But easy to say.
Xa xa

..I have no any problem with gaming. I remember I choice No music , but pls do not follow strictly these words because of many types of sound cards.
Nice game!!

:yahoo:

MrFlibble 05-12-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 418393)
(You need to free some peasants, because you have no one to start your development).
I remembered brutal battle afterward when I free the peasants;
large enemy forces attacked me.
I was like a runner. And save, save, save. At any cost one must keep wood catapult and at least 1 wizard if I am not wrong.

I think the enemy rush after you rescue the peasants in this mission was a bug, fixed in v1.21 of the game. If your version is not updated, get the patch:

http://ftp.games.skynet.be/pub/ftp.b...C/warcr121.exe

Arthas 13-12-2010 04:43 AM

windows 7

will it work on windows 7 or visa?

dosraider 13-12-2010 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthas (Post 418852)
will it work on windows 7 or visa?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 357727)
Run the game in dosbox.

Dosbox Tutorials

anymous 27-03-2011 08:27 PM

no title

I play the game from DOS (NOT Dosbox) on my old PC. There was still a problem with setup.exe. You need to configure your soundcard and when I started the setup didn't work. If you have this problem just try to move config.war in a sub-directory FDATA where are the other .war files. Then setup.exe worked properly and I started to play War1 like the old days. I'm now on level 5. As I read before there is a problem with level 8. I hope moving the .war file on it's right place this problem to not exist for me. For all who play the game from DOS this is the right solution but for the others.....

Eagle of Fire 27-03-2011 09:46 PM

For the others, there is DOSBox. ;)

Temporary 01-01-2013 02:11 PM

Version clarification

Hey, I thought I'd pop in to clarify some of the confusion (and downright false info) in this thread.

So, to wit: there are no less than six (6) distinct "versions" of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (not counting the various updates). These are--in order--the initial two (2) very slightly different "pre-release demos", which were not playable and consisted of Bill Roper's narration on top of images of gameplay, the two retail demos (the first and earlier of which at times goes by the name 'Interplay Demo', as it was meant to be exclusively distributed by Interplay Corp, and even shamelessly plugs the company any chance it gets), the floppy version of the retail game, and finally the CD version of the retail game. All playable demos report themselves as version 1.12, even though there are many differences between the versions (the so-called 'Interplay Demo' contains data for the Orcish hero Klaron, for instance). The retail CD release however reports itself as "version 1.22", which is merely a cosmetic difference; the CD version itself is identical to version 1.21. The final, downloadable patch updates the game to 1.21, so it is not to be used on the CD retail release.

The mentioned "official map editor" is fiction; there was none. In fact, the only official editor for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans is the Unit Editor which was supplied with all versions of the game post 1.15, demo or otherwise. In fact, patching any version of the game to any version post 1.15 adds the Unit Editor to the game install.

The only map editor (to date!) for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans is Brad Pollard's 16-bit map editor from 1994. The editor is programmed in Visual Basic 3, so it will most likely require additional system files for your OS to execute properly. Additionally, since it is a 16-bit application, it will not execute at all on 64-bit Windows Vista or any flavor of Windows 7. On top of that the editor is only capable of creating Forest maps; Dungeon maps or Swamp maps are unavailable. Hidden map details, such as enemy rallying points or objectives can not be edited, either. The hidden gem in the Map Editor is, of course, the first ever(!) user-created map ("No Rest At All") in the entire Warcraft franchise, created 19 years ago as of writing by the programmer himself.

There are precious few third-party editors and apps for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, apart from an abundance of "trainers", which are made completely redundant by the cheat codes in the game. The only useful, recent addition to the paltry helpings is Greg Kennedy's Stratlas. You can easily find it by Googling the app name. Also, if you are really keen on delving deeper into the inner workings of the game, the old data editor WarDraft can edit and display entries from the game's data files (even the "lost" maps Human Map 8, and Orc Map 8). The data editor only works on retail versions of the game, due to the different data compression algorithm (which was later re-used for Warcraft 2).

As has been mentioned the "Random Map" option is not random at all, only which map is drawn from the 24 available maps is random. (Yes, there exists two additional maps in the game data, but the player can never choose them due to the selection screen only allows maps 1-7 to be chosen, although two "map 8" scenarios exist in the data.)

MrFlibble 02-01-2013 09:57 PM

Temporary, thanks for the detailed and valuable info! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temporary (Post 448371)
So, to wit: there are no less than six (6) distinct "versions" of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (not counting the various updates). These are--in order--the initial two (2) very slightly different "pre-release demos", which were not playable and consisted of Bill Roper's narration on top of images of gameplay, the two retail demos (the first and earlier of which at times goes by the name 'Interplay Demo', as it was meant to be exclusively distributed by Interplay Corp, and even shamelessly plugs the company any chance it gets)

I've noticed the difference in one of the demo versions some time ago regarding the Human Barracks sprite (details), but didn't know about the non-interactive demo versions. Those are not the same as preview videos that were published on some Interactive Entertainment CD, are they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temporary (Post 448371)
All playable demos report themselves as version 1.12, even though there are many differences between the versions (the so-called 'Interplay Demo' contains data for the Orcish hero Klaron, for instance).

Wow, that's certainly something that was unknown to me. Cool!

BTW, research by Litude at the RGB Classic Games forums indicates that there are no less than four demo versions of Warcraft:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litude
Regarding the Warcraft demo versions, I know that there are at least four different demo versions available. Sadly only the most recent one identifies itself with a version number (1.12) so getting them sorted out is a bit troublesome. But I think the version you found is the earliest one. I also know of a demo dated October 6th, 1994 and I've found another pre-installed demo that seems to be a bit later yet earlier than the 1.12 demo and its files carry modify dates of October 24th, 1994 (but they are not necessarily accurate since it's pre-installed).

(source)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litude
Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
Found a few different demo versions of this game, thanks go to MrFibble for bringing this game up. Sadly none of the demo versions display a version number except for the one already present on the website (which is 1.12) so sorting them by modify dates is the only way to go. Also, it seems two versions were released the very same day so sorting them just by date won't do it.
Demo Version 10/04/94 - Installer
Demo Version 10/06/94 09:44 - Installer
Demo Version 10/06/94 11:08 - Installer

(source)

Temporary 06-01-2013 09:46 AM

Some additional tidbits

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 448408)
Temporary, thanks for the detailed and valuable info! :)

No problem. I am surprised someone found it of any interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFibble
[...]the non-interactive demo versions. Those are not the same as preview videos that were published on some Interactive Entertainment CD, are they?

The "non-interactive demo" is the same as the media distributed in issue five of Interactive Entertainment, only packaged as a self-playing file. The two first "demos" of the game are those; the media folder, and a self-playing version of it. (Treat them as one, add the two early pre-release demos and the demo Blizzard had on their FTP and you get a grand total of four.) If you are aware of any video version of IE's distro, I would be happy to know, too. In any case, the demo was supposed to be shown at the last summer CES 1994 in Chicago (before CES became a winter-only event), but I am unaware of it being shown there. It might have been; Blizzard did not exactly have a major presence there.

I am sure you know the media is the same as this content:
http://cd.textfiles.com/ie/ie05/ARTICLES/WARC/

The images in the media folder show the game as it was intended in early 1994; no roads needed for buildings, three resources (stone being the third; this idea was revisited in Warcraft 2 Alpha), units are spawned spontaneously (perhaps in a sort of like nod to Dune II), advanced units are essentially trained peasants/peons, and so on.

Quote:

Wow, that's certainly something that was unknown to me. Cool!

You are most certainly welcome. There are some other minor differences in the demos, such as spell costs (1000 gold vs 750 gold), neither sounds or animations when casting said spells, an abominable AI, different terrain and unit graphics, different data file compression, et cetera.

Quote:

BTW, research by Litude [...] indicates that there are no less than four demo versions of Warcraft:

Indeed, and that is exactly what I mentioned.

Also, sorry about the brain f*rt in my previous post; the "Human Map 8" was dropped earlier, there is only one 'eighth map', it is "Orc Map 8" (a rather unfinished Swamp map based on Human Map 1, if I recall correctly). You can re-create the map from the game data, if you so want. Just use WarDraft and it's a cinch.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

MrFlibble 06-01-2013 05:34 PM

Temporary, since you're obviously interested in the history of Warcraft, do you know Hallfiry? He does a lot of research on Blizzard history, including of course the first Warcraft game. Here's a topic he started at the BetaArchive Forums:

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans - Alpha Screenshots

Hallfiry also visits RGB Classic Games Forums, and has his own website called Blizzard Library (there have been some malware infection issues recently so the site might be down for maintenance though).

On a somewhat unrelated note, are you familiar with the Warcraft II CD shareware release?

Temporary 06-01-2013 07:43 PM

Thank you for your kind words, mr Flibble.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 448503)
Temporary, since you're obviously interested in the history of Warcraft[...]

Perhaps 'interest' is a bit too hefty a word to throw about? I cannot say I am terribly interested in the history of any particular game, but suffice it to say that I am more averse to false information. Hence my post; to rectify some errors. (Oh, and to rectify another brain f*rt of mine, the first ever user-created map for Warcraft was of course not "No Rest At All", but "Never Give Up!". Both are by the same author.)

Regarding the linkage, the alpha screenshots in the first posts are not exactly correctly captioned. To wit; examine the first screenshot in the "Alpha Stage 2" section, and compare it to the screenshot captioned "Alpha Stage 3", and you can see they are in fact the same screenshot only with a different side panel, and three Warlocks plus a Knight added for good measure. In addition, the "Alpha Stage 1" screenshot is the same as the first "Alpha Stage 1.5" screenshot, only with different building graphics. Most of the screenshots in Hallfiry's post are presentation mock-ups. These mock-ups were created throughout the early phase in production for a variety of purposes; some were created for magazines, for reviewers and such, some for presentations, and some were simply for internal, in-house use. There were, in fact, no such versions as "Stage 1", or "Stage 2", or any other stage either. I have not seen a single actual screenshot with the non-isometric building graphics; they have all been mock-ups created to show the then-intended graphics.

The isometric graphics, of course, were then later created by 3D software--if I am not mistaken it was Animator by Autodesk (hence the FLC animation files), and Warcraft 2 used an early version of 3DSMax, if I recall correctly--and resampled/resized to fit the 320x200 canvas. You can see the 3D resampling at work in the screenshots in Hallfiry's post; if you take a look at the screenshot with the purple trees (the same image is on the back of every Warcraft retail box), you can see the Orcish farm's 3D model rendered from a slightly different angle. This camera repositioning can be seen in other screenshots, too, but there are relatively few screenshots available from this period in development, and none of the other ones' are in Hallfiry's post. (As an aside, the purple trees are probably due to Ron Millar's insistence on having very colorful GFX in the game. He insisted the game should be very colorful in contrast to the rather dreary, black and shadowy GFX that seemed to be all the rage back in the day.)

I think I have a 100-or-so page PDF document somewhere with a metric ton of information and code analysis of the game. It's been over 15 years since I looked at it, and I seem to recall it was mostly about retail, but there were some points about the demos in there, too. If I can dig it up, I will take a look at it. It's very, very low on my list of priorities, so I may have to bump into it by mistake.

(Yes, I am sure you know the data files with a 'war' extension--except data.war, of course--are simply FLC animation files created by the Autodesk software. Rename them with a 'flc' extension and you can view them with a standard Apple Quicktime installation. Be aware the Flic file format's compression is laughably inefficient by present standards.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 448503)
On a somewhat unrelated note, are you familiar with the Warcraft II CD shareware release?

Oh, regarding the WC2 "demo"? I do not know much about it. I mean, I saw it back in the day, and I even think I have had a stand-alone CD version of it once, but I've lost it. Or simply can't find it. I might have chucked it. I'm not much of a collector, I guess. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall the AI was way different in the demo; retail WC2 never used attack peasants, meaning the peasants in retail were either/or, an ordinary peasant could not become an attack peasant mid-stream. No such restrictions in the demo, if I remember correctly. Hey, it's been years.

If I come across something, I will let you know, ok?

MrFlibble 07-01-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temporary (Post 448508)
I think I have a 100-or-so page PDF document somewhere with a metric ton of information and code analysis of the game. It's been over 15 years since I looked at it, and I seem to recall it was mostly about retail, but there were some points about the demos in there, too. If I can dig it up, I will take a look at it.

Any chance you would share that, provided you find it and have the time for that? Would be aweseome :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temporary (Post 448508)
Oh, regarding the WC2 "demo"? I do not know much about it. I mean, I saw it back in the day, and I even think I have had a stand-alone CD version of it once, but I've lost it. Or simply can't find it. I might have chucked it. I'm not much of a collector, I guess. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall the AI was way different in the demo; retail WC2 never used attack peasants, meaning the peasants in retail were either/or, an ordinary peasant could not become an attack peasant mid-stream. No such restrictions in the demo, if I remember correctly. Hey, it's been years.

BTW, one of the downloadable versions of the demo (it's still called "Shareware" in huge letters that obscure part of the pre-release version of the title screen) has the word BETA in the version number. I didn't observe differences in AI or other game mechanics, even though there most probably are things to watch out for. Then again, the missions are rather short.

Temporary 08-01-2013 05:23 AM

No Title

Well, well. Looka here.

While I was Googling some ancient stuff to refresh my Olde Grey Matter, all of a sudden outta left field, in rushes Pat Wyatt with his recollection of the humble Warcraft beginnings:

He mentions a lot of the stuff I already have mentioned here. Plus he corrects me by mentioning it was actually Allen Adham who insisted the game should look like a toy box instead of Black Gothic. You have surely read the article already, but I had no idea it was out there, even. Whoda thunk?

Not to toot my own horn, but back in the day I maintained somewhat of a correspondence with mr Wyatt regarding--among other things--Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. He was, after all, effectively the sole programmer of the main game. The emails are long gone, but I recall he mentioned he would very much like the source code for the game released under a GNU license, while at the same time lamenting the fact he has no clout with his former company anymore. As an aside, I wish I could toot my own horn, but I am not limber enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 448531)
Any chance you would share that[?]

Sure, if I can find it.

The Fifth Horseman 08-01-2013 10:58 AM

He also has some interesting stuff on Starcraft there.

MrFlibble 08-01-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temporary (Post 448545)
While I was Googling some ancient stuff to refresh my Olde Grey Matter, all of a sudden outta left field, in rushes Pat Wyatt with his recollection of the humble Warcraft beginnings:

Right, I remember someone mentioned these articles some time ago in another forum, it's just I was kinda very busy back then and didn't have the time to properly read 'em :) Thanks for reminding about those, it's an excellent material!

Hallfiry 08-01-2013 07:57 PM

Hallfiry reporting in.
Hello Mr. Temporary.

1. Thanks for all that info.

2. The "stages" are are just a chronological order of the screenshots (as I thought it might be fitting (and the 1.5 thing came when I found new shots and didn't want to scrap the old order)). You are obviouly right that most of them are mockups and sometimes almost identical.
It took me quite a while to find all the details that defined the order of the screenshots.
Differences between the "stages":
-1 to 1.5: hut-like orc buildings instead of castles
-1.5 to 2: Orc buttons
-2 to 3: Button order
-3 to Stones: Obviously the resources
-Stones to No Stones: Resource icons and no stones
-No Stone to Almost Final: Icon backgrounds, icons, Human interface
-Almost Final to Final: Recource icons and the things that you said

3. Please contact me, you won't regret it:
hallfiry {at} gmx {dot} de

BTW: Have you listened to the legendary Bill Roper recording from 1995? A very special gem from my archives :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGubpJxMr3s

Temporary 28-01-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallfiry (Post 448564)
Hallfiry reporting in.

Hey HF. Nice stuff you got there. Btw, amazingly I found some of the correspondence between yours truly and some of the Blizzard folks, and I don't know how much it's appropriate to post but since it's pertinent to the screenshots, so I'll just post some snippets. Patrick Wyatt mentioned this about the alpha screenies, and it seems he got W1 mixed up with W2; "I remember some units running around on the walls in the game cinematics, but there was never any support in the game engine for units walking on walls." Further down the correspondence he mentions the art team mock-ups; "We had a lot of ideas about building walls, and the art team may have mocked up something for a magazine [... yada yada cut ...] but we never had time to implement that feature."

For what it's worth.

Talkie 05-02-2013 10:43 AM

Wow,

there's been some good development in this thread recently.

If anyone finds the rare fanmade map editor as mentioned in one of the (2) Faqs for Warcraft 1 on GameFaqs, please forward it (if this site permits such thing).

Also, someone above mentioned Cd Audio tracks.
Yes! There ARE Cd Audio tracks in some (non-budget)
versions of the Cd-Rom, and it's fun to read the thread on Vogons
about people reaching Blizzard about this and they had no idea what
it was. It's just the audio tracks used for the Macintosh version,
when it came on the same CD as the PC DOS version.

I also used to scratch my head trying to understand why
the cd audio couldn't play, but it's not implemented for the DOS version.

EDIT (ADDENDUM):

In case anyone else is as lazy as me as to ask for stuff around before even trying to
look it up yourself, I gather here the links for a couple files mentioned in recent posts
on this thread:

Here you may find Warcedit, the old Warcraft map editor by BJ Pollard, along with
the War1.knw file someone here was asking for (and another thing called W1pal):

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/p...ar1/utilities/

Here you can find a version of the demo, and the final patch to Warcraft,
which is supposed to contain the Waredit Unit Editor:

http://www.triton.cc.pl/sst/polanie/...r_download.htm

Here you will find a Warcraft Trainer. Whatever it is, I guess it's the one mentioned
in the old Warcraft FAQ at GameFaqs (click "Warcraft", not "Download"):

http://megagames.com/download/259607/0

Here you will find Stratlas, mentioned by Temporary Guest, which
help you extract Warcraft maps:

http://stratlas.sourceforge.net/download.html

Here you can find a version of WarDraft, but not sure if
that works with Warcraft (I). Can't seem to find a working
link for a more recent version:

http://artho.com/warcraft/wctools.html

Here is an old webpage filled with... Warcraft maps (!),
but only 3/4 of them can still be downloaded. The author
"Melle" mentions a map editor with a dead link named "We.zip".
I'm assuming it is the same as Warcedit, since the executable
for that is called We.exe. Also, this page seems to insist that the
editor requires a bunch of DLL zipped as "we_lib.zip", but
that link is also dead.

http://web.archive.org/web/199911041.../warcraft.html

I will not re-link the 3 demos yet found for Warcraft, but look up
a couple messages before this one.

Open Library has the official strategy guide to "borrow":

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL24744172M/Warcraft

Now for an absolutely inane personal comment:

I read people in this thread constantly saying that the Orcs
are easier to play than the Humans, because they are
apparently tougher, and they have the Daemon, and all.
I think playing the Orcs is much harder because of Invisibility.
The AI never sends more than 1 or 2 Daemons at a time,
really, so if you get many conjurors to attempt always
summon a few Water Elementals ready, they're easily dealt
with. You can get fast control of any situation on both
sides by keeping training Archers or Spearmen, but the
Humans can be very sneaky and attack your peons
while you are busy elsewhere, and I find that blocking
bridges is never 100% sure that invisible enemy will not
past. Thanks.

Lukie123 26-03-2013 08:36 PM

So I recently stumbled upon this guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/565021-wa...ans/faqs/54781), and in one of the sections there are the hero stats. Can anyone confirm if these are the actual stats, and if they are, which tool he used to extract that data?

Thanks in advance.

Scatty 26-03-2013 09:52 PM

That's easy. With Warcraft, there was an official (I think) level/unit editor, not sure with which or / and with all versions of the game. I had it with my version of Wacraft anyway. When you start it up, you can modify the stats of all the units in the game, like make Spearman's range higher than that of Archer, or damage, and stuff like that. Catapults had damage of 255, for example, which could kill on hit every unit but the summoned Demon if I remember correctly (didn't look up your link but I'm sure it's damage is standing there anyway).
Inferentially, that's where you could see the stats of all the units, including the named, "hero" units. Look at the post bevore yours, I think there is that editor together with the latest patch, in one of the links.

Lukie123 27-03-2013 07:48 AM

Yes, I do have the final patch (1.22h as far as I know) and it does include the unit editor, but the information on the hero units is nowhere to be found :/
It includes all the units (except heroes obviously), spells, technology and buildings.

RRS 04-09-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 418393)

It's possible to complete the mission without peasants... I know because I accidentially did this.

Zerthul 17-11-2013 02:30 PM

Hi everyone!

Successfully, i found an old savegame editor, (i mean really OLD, last edited in 1995).

cd.textfiles.com/gigagames5/DOS/EDITORS/WARCEDIT.ZIP

It works only with Windows File/Program Manager (as the read me says)
Doesn't work on 64bit, i tried on my old 32bit Windows XP computer (i have now Win7), and it worked (but i dont use that computer :) )

Temporary 19-11-2013 06:30 PM

Temporary reporting again. I keep stumbling upon this thread. Yep, that is the old Map Editor I mentioned a couple of posts back. I also mentioned the Unit Editor, and so on. Does anyone actually read the posts here? (Hey Hallfiry and MrFlibble, might I interest you in the source code for said editor?) Remember it is not possible to edit anything but Forest maps with the editor. It's a 16-bit program so it doesn't work with Windows 7, since the subsystem was discontinued after Vista. (Also Hallfiry and MrFlibble, you do know it is possible to play with the Dragons that exist in the Warcraft code, right?)

Steelbreeze 21-12-2014 06:46 PM

Windows 8?

New user here (and, unfortunately, new to Win8 as well). Read through this entire thread and wanted to thank everyone for the great info to this point.

Just downloaded this game and am dying to play again for first time in 20 years, but getting the message "This app can't run on your PC."
Anyone out there have beta on how to get this to work on Win8?

Didn't see any info on this question earlier, but please forgive me if it was already addressed.

Thanks in advance.

Japo 21-12-2014 09:00 PM

You need DOSBox
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26555

Solaito 25-02-2015 04:30 PM

Sorry for bumping this pretty old topic, but for some reason I couldn't make a new topic, so I'll post it over here because I think it fits to the topic :)

So, my name is Solaito and I'm starting a series on my youtube channel where I will play Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. In my opnion this is a great game, which not that many people have played. All I hope to do is introduce some people to the magical world of Warcraft this awesome game provides you with. It's also commentated with the original soundtrack as background music. I've just uploaded the first video and I'm planning to go through both the Orc and Human campaign. Let me know what you think :)

Episode 1: Orc Campaign, Economy tutorial (mission 1)

marko river 06-03-2015 01:51 PM

And it's a good thing you couldn't create new topic because in this part of forum "Games" we have one topic for each game on our site.

If you want to talk about games in general, head to Gaming Zone or simply BlahBlahBlah for anything at all

twillight 06-03-2015 03:30 PM

Hey, if you play, make a "god" fiinal score (and snapshot it)! I always only could make as "demigod" :no:

Temporary 24-06-2016 11:00 AM

Here is a thing: http://www.filedropper.com/savdraft

I think it still works, it adds/removes restrictions from saved game files. Yes, that means building Town Halls in dungeons; it can be done, but the results are ghastly. You have been warned. It's been years since I tried it, but it ought to be fine.

Mystvan 16-06-2017 01:08 AM

I liked to play Warcraft because it was similar to Dune II and both had great BGM.

Although I have played Warcraft II, I almost can not remember the details (Elves, Dwarves, ships, flying units, etc.).

There are two missions that I remember well because I used cunning to defeat my enemies (Orcs) in Campaign Mode:

01) One of the Missions was in a Cave where I was to eliminate a powerful Orc Sorcerer who had the ability to summon powerful Demons.

The first time I played this Mission, I faced the Demon (2 times!) entrenched in the ruins with the Knights as defense and attack, the Ranged Attack from Archers and Catapults.

The next time, I did something very simple. As soon as the Sorcerer detected me, at the beginning of the Mission, for the entrance to the Cave was near his hiding place, he summoned several Spiders. I stood still and approached the Archers and Knights near where the Wizard stood. The Sorcerer attacked my Units with very powerful Spells. The Priests healed the wounded Units and the Archers continued to attack him. The Wizard, instead of invoking the Devil, continued to invoke the weak Spiders until he died. Perhaps because he continued to attack my Knights, the Sorcerer could not summon the Demon. I then went to explore the Cave and eliminated any Spiders and enemies on the way. I did not have to face the mighty Demon. Phew! Whew!

02) Another Mission was to destroy the Orc Base. Because they could summon Demons, I used the Forest as my shield and positioned the various Catapults for Ranged Attack. The Enemies (including Demons) detected the Catapults but could not attack them while being mercilessly attacked by Catapults. While the Water Elementals resisted up to 2 Catapult attacks, I believe the Demons resist up to 3 Catapult attacks.

Osprey850 20-10-2017 08:54 PM

Some of you folks might be interested in a little utility that I recently put together to provide more modern mouse controls in the game (when played in DOSBox under Windows). Specifically, you can give context-sensitive orders with the right mouse button, scroll the map with the mouse wheel and select multiple units without having to hold down a key first. More info is at PCGamingWiki, where I uploaded it:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/f...-mouse-helper/

Nilex 28-10-2017 07:39 PM

And that someone would be me :smile2:
<-- yub, same guy from Vogons, lol

Dunno if you fallen off Mars and suddenly started helping retro gaming everywhere or what, but I glad you are doing what you are doing :OK:

Andy Reed 02-11-2017 10:26 AM

Hello guys, I'm new here, but I see that the forum is interesting. exactly what I like!

Japo 02-11-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Reed (Post 469461)
Hello guys, I'm new here, but I see that the forum is interesting. exactly what I like!

Welcome :-)

Mystvan 04-11-2017 09:13 PM

Dear twillight...

You probably know how to score each mission since you are a veteran gamer.

I believe that the score is composed of several variables such as:

• Number of your Units killed;

• Amount of your Buildings / Structures destroyed;

• Number of enemy Units killed;

• Number of enemy Buildings / Structures destroyed;

• Amount of ore (Gold) mined;

• Amount of Wood / Lamber extracted.

I used the GameWizard when I played this game. The Trainer would freeze the Treasure / Gold available and so you could build Buildings / Structures and hire Military Units.

I am not sure because my memory fails to remember, but there are two more levels above the “god”. I am not sure if it is Developer / Designer / Maker and the other would be Slave (? :dunno:). “Slave” because you are a “slave” of Score, trying to extract all the natural and mineral resources of the mission.

One way for me to increase the Score would be to maintain a enemy Building / Structure that would recruit enemy Peasants:

• He could build Building / Structure that I could then destroy, but preserve the life of the enemy Peasant. And so on; :smugulon:

• My Archers could eliminate the enemy Peasant without destroying the Building / Structure. Thus, a new enemy Peasant would arise and the cycle repeats itself. :smugulon:

I will post about the score of Dune II that maintains some similarities, but also some “inconvenient” peculiarities in relation to the Warcraft I.

Mystvan 04-11-2017 09:14 PM

Ugh... Since AB Forums were extremely slow yesterday, with each command taking 10 to 20 minutes, the double post occurred.

After you cut down the trees and extract all precious metals from the existing mines, I just hope you are not hunted by Greenpeace, Captain Planet and Grandmaster Spectre-man :borg: for the ecological disaster... :bleh3: :doh:

MrFlibble 16-04-2019 10:19 AM

Hey guys,

First off, you might want to add links to GOG.com for both Warcraft and Warcraft II since these are now available from this store:
https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle
https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_orcs_and_humans
https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_2_battlenet_edition

Secondly, I took an interest in the user-made levels for Warcraft which were created with BJ Pollard's editor mentioned by Temporary. Preciously few traces of these are available nowadays but luckily the Internet Archive has preserved a page with intact downloads of some 38 levels:
Melle's Warcraft page

A few more levels not included above are available here, and four more were made by Kenny Chong. Several more levels not found above are listed here but sadly downloads are broken.

Mystvan 19-04-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 483527)

Hey guys,

First off, you might want to add links to GOG.com for both Warcraft and Warcraft II since these are now available from this store:
https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle
https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_orcs_and_humans
https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_2_battlenet_edition

Secondly, I took an interest in the user-made levels for Warcraft which were created with BJ Pollard's editor mentioned by Temporary. Preciously few traces of these are available nowadays but luckily the Internet Archive has preserved a page with intact downloads of some 38 levels:
Melle's Warcraft page

A few more levels not included above are available here, and four more were made by Kenny Chong. Several more levels not found above are listed here but sadly downloads are broken.

Welcome back to the AB Forums! :hello:

Thanks for the info! :OK:

tfontanetto 25-04-2020 07:09 AM

3 more levels edited of Warcraft 1

I´ve found 3 edited maps that aren´t mentioned before.

They are:
Warpath
The Kinslayers wars
The Last Battle

Whoever wants them contact me and I´ll send them.

Regards

Strelok5590 29-06-2020 06:11 PM

Thanks for the Steam and gog.com links, I don't know how I managed to do that, but I somehow missed these sources when looking for these games online...

The current time is 09:15 PM (GMT)