Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Quest for Glory I - So You Want to be a Hero (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13783)

Romano 18-03-2007 07:06 PM

Quest for Glory I - So You Want to be a Hero

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Guest 18-03-2007 11:17 PM

This is one of the best games ever made, i lost many days when i was a kid trying to become a hero :)

MV75 19-03-2007 02:30 AM

I love this entire series of games. But I really like this one and the 2nd one the most. It sort of killed it a bit when they shifted to the point and click interface with #3. And #1 in VGA wasn't that great either, but this version is good.

Start off as a thief in this one. You can then have every single skill, and thus it's possible to do everything in this game and to get beyond maximum quest points. But I do suggest to play as either a fighter or mage (preferrably a fighter as you can use a sword and magic then), and don't choose lock picking as it will screw you over if you want to transfer your character to the next game and play as a paladin in the later games, especially the 5th one as if you have theif skills, it will give you a thief quest (to get the deed to the inn), but that's for a game a long ways away in playing time. :)

Also watch for an easter egg down at the lake. You might catch a glimpse of a submarine periscope (codename: Iceman reference).
________
VAPORIZER WIKI

Daniel06 19-03-2007 03:25 AM

In my opinion this is the best adventure game ever made. It is the sole reason why I became hooked on adventure games in the first place. Whilst I suppose the graphics arent much to look at by todays standards, the storyline, characters, gameplay, and atmosphere are yet to be surpassed, let alone even equalled by anything that has come along since. Many games have tried to combine adventure and RPG, but none have created such amazingly deep and interesting characters, which really make you feel like you're in the game.

lgonggr 19-03-2007 08:26 AM

Probably the most entertaining computer game I ever played.
I must have spend 1.5 years just playing this single game on my mother CGA PC/XT :)
For those in the know, remember swinging from the chandelier in the bandit's hideout ?
The only thing that nagged me was that I never managed to finish this playing as the thief.

Why are you still reading this ? Start playing this game !!!

faralar 19-03-2007 10:10 AM

Does anybody know where I can get the VGA version of this? I don't agree with MV75, I think the VGA version looks stunning, I want it!

MV75 19-03-2007 10:27 AM

Oh, there is no disagreeance on the looks, but on the actual gameplay, the EGA version is far superior. Especially for combat.

Oh yea, and if you have trouble walking on the ledge outside the hermits house, or you have trouble of not actually being able to get into the caves past the antwerp near the end, (as in the entrance is open, but the character won't actually go in), press F4. That's the fast walk feature. For most of the game it's great to have on, but for those particular two times you need to turn it off.
________
Video Review

42david42 19-03-2007 10:51 AM

I played the old text-based one as well (the one featured here) - it is great.
However I do feel it is a bit dated... Get the VGA-version, which is just as great, but without the annoying text and with better graphics - unfortunately it is ESA protected right now...

Guest 19-03-2007 04:13 PM

OH DEAR GOD MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

I have been looking for the QFG1 EGA for so many years I cannot even count them. If I looked over something somewhere, go ahead go "duhur, stupid" ...but at least I have it now!

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouTh ankYouThankYouThankYou!!!!

QFG is by far my favorite series made by Sierra and I've pretty much grown up off of their games. I miss their golden days ;(

Funny thing... I've started playing the series again and I'm already on the 4th with a pure magic user (who has slain the fabled Rex of Spielburg! Who has conquered over a djinni of pure power, the evil 1001 year prophetic Iblis! Who has banished beings not of this world back to their demonic realm! All with the use of his trusty, handy, dandy Dagger o' Death 5000! It's only 9 gold and 9 silver coins! Call now to order yours today!)... but I'm willing to start over just to play this gem.

I've never considered myself a fanboy, but I guess over the QFG series, I'd have to say I am. Hehe.

Much <3 to you, oh noble gaming halfling.

Guest 19-03-2007 09:51 PM

qfg is an amazing game. the original number one is by far my favourite game ever. i am surprised to see it up for download, though. both sierra and lucasarts are always very protective of their old games and many sites have been closed because they hosted those games. did they tell esa to stop protecting it so firmly all of a sudden?

The current time is 05:46 PM (GMT)