Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Anyone Experienced Setting Up A Virtual Pc? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14626)

Mighty Midget 26-06-2007 05:16 PM

The title says it all, really. I got the VPC7, and I want to set up a Win98 machine on my XP machine. I read the help file, but I couldn't make head or tail out of it. So, if anyone has sucessfully set up a VPC, please bear with me and tell me, in easy steps, how I set up this thing.
NB I know NOTHING of how this is done, so feel free to consider me criminally naive until proven innocent.

jg007 26-06-2007 06:29 PM

1.start virtual PC
2. click on new
3. select ' create a virtual machine '
4. give it a name
5. select operating system ( windows 98 etc)
6. select amount of ram as required or accept default
7.select ' a new virtual hard disk '
8. enter the location and select size you want or accept default size
9. click finish
10. place the windows 98 disk in the cd drive
11. select the virtual machine and press start .

the virtual machine will then boot up and auto boot from the windows 98 where you can install as usual

if you want to switch to full screen just press the right hand ' alt ' key and enter, same to switch back to windowed
once you have installed windows 98 and set it up click on the top bar on action and select to install virtual machine additions.

Mighty Midget 26-06-2007 08:00 PM

ok. I got the win cd in the drive, but vpc couldn't find any. All settings are "default" that is, I haven't changed anything after I created the virtual 98se machine.

jg007 26-06-2007 08:53 PM

odd?

which version of windows 98 is it? 98 standard or SE, also is it a copy ( of your legit version ;) ) as it may have not been burned as a bootable cd

you will also see a selection menu when it first boots and you need to select boot from CD so you may have missed that menu if you were not at the PC

Mighty Midget 26-06-2007 09:00 PM

It is SE, original cd.

About the menu, I watched but didn't see any.

EDIT: I saw it. Standard "Setup", ok but the CD-ROM is virtual only. How to use the real CD-ROM?

jg007 26-06-2007 09:06 PM

It should be set up automatically but try pressing 'del' when booting the virtual machine to check that it is set to boot from CD and that it is recognising your cd drive.

also try checking that your computer can read the windows xp fine and make sure you put it in before booting the machine to give the drive time to recognise it

edit ** the virtual machines CD just uses your main CD drive to access **

Mighty Midget 26-06-2007 09:09 PM

Don't ask me how, but I first ran it with the Attach CD box checked. I unchecked it, and re-checked it. Now I got the installation menu.

EDIT: Just exellent :wallbash: Turns out there is no way for the virtual 98 to use the actual video card on your computer, so now I'm stuck with a crappy virtual card with 8 MB ram unsuitable for anything.

I'm beginning to wonder if this VPC is worth anything at all. :tai:

GTX2GvO 01-07-2007 01:48 PM

Is there a way to set up a VPC with win3.x??? (ANY version of both is fine for me)
If it's posseble, where could I find a usefull Win3.x install then??

I'm asking for this OS, because for dos I have dosbox and for win9x I have my desktop PC.
And a WinXP laptop for the more advanced stuff.

The Fifth Horseman 02-07-2007 01:50 PM

I think it would work the same as for Win 9x

Don't ask where to find Win 3.x though - M$ copyright and all that... we don't want to get Abandonia into trouble.

Japo 03-07-2007 12:15 PM

Yes it's possible to run Win3.X in VPC, I tried. Just remember that Win3 is for DOS so you'll have to install DOS first. But you may want to add a line reading "win" to AUTOEXEC.BAT so Windows is started automatically.

The current time is 09:06 PM (GMT)