Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What Does Your Name Means? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6965)

Nick 29-08-2005 07:53 PM

My name - Nickolay - formed from Greek and it means "conqueror of peoples". Very unlikely on me... :)

Himmler 29-08-2005 07:56 PM

My name Filip - something greek ->the friend of the horse :max:

nickname:Himmler -too much tired to say anything anymore about it

Sebatianos 29-08-2005 08:02 PM

1) My real name is Borut.
My parents gave me this name because it's an old Slavic name. It's a name of a Knez (Duke) - the last one who held the pagan tradition in the land that is now Slovenia (his son and his nephew were then taken hostige and were converted into christianity - thus the Pagan religion lost it's ground on the high court... soon all who didn't accept christianity either died or were forced to leave).

2) My nickname here is Sebatianos.
This is a name of a character in my (probably never going to be finished) epic book - The Quest of Žarbon. Sebatianos was an old philosopher, scholar,... who thought young Žarbon all he needed to know (Žarbon lost his father before he was born - but his father never died, he dissapeared while cutting down a magical tree).
The name was meant to sound like a normal name that would mean something - but would still be meaningless (like other names I used). The name itself is quite unique - if you google it it will only find ME!

3) We had threads like this before...

Aristharus 29-08-2005 08:14 PM

Quote:

3) We had threads like this before...
Well, I haven't read or written to one, so here goes: my real first name is Tapio, which is a Finnish god of the forest.

EDIT: Typos, sorry.

Kon-Tiki 29-08-2005 08:21 PM

Raf, derived from the arch angel Raphael (but don't call me Raphael, as that's not my name) and it means He who heals/God heals, which actually makes an odd combination with my last name, which means From the mill. "God heals from the mill" :blink:

Sebatianos 29-08-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Aug 29 2005, 10:21 PM
Raf, derived from the arch angel Raphael
And I thought Raf was one of the turtles :bleh:

Scarface 29-08-2005 08:27 PM

My real name is Daniel, and it's an hebrew name meaning "God is my judge"
It's kinda weird, because I'm not a very religious man.

Nick 29-08-2005 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aristharus@Aug 29 2005, 08:14 PM
...Tapio, which is a Finnish god of the forest...

I heard of it from Nightwish song Elvenpath! But I thought, that it is kinda fantasy person (there is stream of names in verses, if you listen). Although, gods ARE fantasy persons, from Christian point of view. :)

Tom Henrik 29-08-2005 08:46 PM

My name suits me perfectly

Tom = Empty / Poor / Broke
Henrik = Masculine / Man

So... A broke man :)

Stroggy 29-08-2005 09:10 PM

Michael, from hebrew.
Mi Cha El, or: Mi (who) Kemoh(like) El (God)
It means: Who is Like God

In that same vein Raphael is Raph (heal) El (God)
and Daniel is Da ni (judge me) el (God) or God is my judge.
Also it could mean Cry before god, since Da means cry.

The current time is 08:19 PM (GMT)