Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What The Hell Is Dos All About? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=7137)

Vince 11-09-2005 10:36 AM

Hey,

I can't seem to be able to play any games. When I try to download a DOSBox, or whatever you call it, there are so many I don't know which one to get. I'm also not completely sure what a friggin' DosBox or mirror is anyway. Help me out, please.

A. J. Raffles 11-09-2005 12:08 PM

I'm not really the best person to explain what DOSBox does exactly, but basically it creates an emulated DOS environment that tricks your computer into believing it's running DOS. So old games which require DOS can be run in this artificial DOS environment.
About which version to choose, just get the latest version for Windows. Mirrors are just different places to download it from so the servers don't get too busy, so you needn't worry about those too much.
Did that help you at all?

Guest 11-09-2005 08:46 PM

Hey,

yeah, that helps out quite a bit I suppose. Thanks man.

Sebatianos 11-09-2005 08:50 PM

Well I guess you haven't heard of MS-DOS yet (probably one of the younger users), otherwise DOSBox would seem rather self explanatory.

Once you download DOSBox and install it you might have some questions on how to use it. Don't be afraid to ask, but you'll need some patience to get it to work the first time!

punch999 11-09-2005 09:01 PM

You would have to be 3 and live under a rock and not know what dos is.

Vince 11-09-2005 09:07 PM

You're a real funny man punch999. Cut out the bull comments, I just needed some help.

punch999 11-09-2005 09:13 PM

I know i am cant you just see me im a funny person. almost as funny as your moms face! :w00t: :w00t:

Not flaming anymore

Vince 11-09-2005 09:21 PM

Look, I came to this forum looking for help on DOS. I got what I needed from the first two people who replied, therefore your first comment wasn't necessary and just plain stupid. Just to let you know, I got the link for this website yesterday... I've yet to hear of anybody who's managed to work out everything about freeware within 24 hours.

As for the mum jokes, they're old and crap. It's not even insulting. Judging by your display picture, you might want to hit puberty before you try starting and argument with someone.

As for not flaming anymore, I'll either take that as gesture of not wanting to deepen this conversation, or you chickening out. I'm betting on the latter because I can see who's looking at this post. And guess what? It's you! You're just sitting there, eagerly awaiting a reply from me, and yet you don't want to be a part of this anymore. Usually funny men (or in your case, 'spot stricken teens') tell the jokes as opposed to being the behind of them. Isn't that ironic?

Kon-Tiki 11-09-2005 09:37 PM

If you have any more questions 'bout DosBox, we have a DosBox FAQ, which's made especially for people who want to learn how to work with it ;) It's a bit hidden away inside the main FAQ, though.

punch999 11-09-2005 09:40 PM

Which involves using the search button.

Even my "pre-pubesent" self knows about that

Oh and this isnt freeware its called....ABANDONWARE!

The current time is 08:06 AM (GMT)