Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall, The (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24605)

Japo 08-05-2010 01:38 PM

Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall, The

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

_r.u.s.s. 08-05-2010 01:53 PM

neaat

one of very little bethesda's products that are worth playing

Japo 08-05-2010 02:23 PM

A small, optional tip for the installation. Instead of choosing the "huge" install size, as the guide by Bethesda says, choose the minimum one.

Also if you do this, when you apply the patch it will install a new big file on your virtual hard drive. You can move it into the virtual CD, making sure you overwrite the likewise called un-patched file that's already there.

I have tested this for a long time now and the game works the same. You'll save some disc space and there are no disadvantages whatsoever. Since the virtual CD is actually in your real hard drive just like the virtual HD, there's no performance advantage in bigger installation sizes. On the other hand the patch duplicates that file because it assumes it can't modify a file on a read-only CD, but since that's actually on your real HD you can write on it. The game will find it the same.

Capo 08-05-2010 02:40 PM

I never managed to finish this game. Very hard :cry:

golan 08-05-2010 03:07 PM

My heart-felt thanks to Bethesda for kindly releasing old titles for free. I wish all game companies were as considerate.

This is an excellent game, though, IMHO, Morrowind is better (and is the best of the series so far). It is huge, flexible, expansive...

The only main downside of the game is the fact that most dungeons are both huge AND random, and sometimes the quest-object is stuck in a non-accessible location due to a bug, and you have to give up the quest after spending hours on searching the dungeon in vain.

Kugerfang 08-05-2010 03:13 PM

Cool, might get around to playing this sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ
one of very little bethesda's products that are worth playing

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were worth playing but they got old real quick. Another thing was the stats... it felt like you could breeze through the whole game with crappy stats just because of the real-time combat. Unlike Morrowind. :D

Just my 2 cents.

hunvagy 08-05-2010 03:21 PM

I already mentioned this back then when the freeware announcement came, but I'm really looking forward to DaggerXL. It's coming along very nicely, and is simply awesome :) Be warned, you need a fairly powerful computer for it (if one can classify a single core Athlon as one, because that can already run it).

_r.u.s.s. 08-05-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugerfang (Post 404011)
Cool, might get around to playing this sometime.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were worth playing but they got old real quick. Another thing was the stats... it felt like you could breeze through the whole game with crappy stats just because of the real-time combat. Unlike Morrowind. :D

Just my 2 cents.

the only other game worth playing besides dagerfall was the old skynet and maybe some datadisk=P

BranjoHello 08-05-2010 04:41 PM

Played this for some very short time when it became freeware, I just can't force myself to seriously play any older Elder Scrolls game, after Morrowind & Oblivion it just seems pointless. :cry:
Maybe this DaggerXL will change that some day. :)

Japo 08-05-2010 05:58 PM

Cheat

Create a custom class, and max all attributes out until you have lots of negative points to distribute. Then press the U key and presto, the points are back to 0, you can have stats as high as you want--up to the starting maximum. (It works too during character creation after you've picked a class, but you can't make it work in your favour then because you can't get the points below zero.)

The current time is 03:46 AM (GMT)