Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Games like Ultima Underworld (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16994)

Wicky 16-04-2008 06:46 PM

Games like Ultima Underworld

I'm looking for games like Ultima Underworld, have beaten UW1+2 twice.

Swinging a sword in first person together with some magic, inventory management, difficult puzzles, some RPG statistics... those were good old school games which I remember until today. But I haven't found any games which are like this. If you know it then tell me?

Scatty 16-04-2008 07:26 PM

One game I can recommend to you - Arx Fatalis.
It's pretty similar to Ultima Underworld series, it's even said to be an unofficial successor to the series. It's also taking place underground, you're using runestones to cast magic, the entire feeling is there. Unfortunately, just like the Ultima Underworld games, it's also a bit too short and is finished before you notice it. Also there's no music unlike in UUW games, which makes for a bit more gloomy mood.

There's also System Shock, from the same company, Origin. It's not a fantasy RPG like UUW though but more of an Adventure / Action / Horror mix, but very to recommend. Once you try it out you'll surely love it.

Blood-Pigggy 16-04-2008 07:48 PM

The best has already been mentioned Arx Fatalis is the closest to a modern UW you're going to get.

I wouldn't recommend System Shock though, it's not an RPG and it doesn't have the same element of exploration that's so important in UW.
You can try the Elder Scrolls games, but as a UW lover, I have to say that I personally despise those games (except for Daggerfall).

Try your hand at Arx Fatalis and perhaps try the Gothic series (1 and 2 specifically), while not first person like UW they derive heavily from ORIGIN's masterpiece and share the same feeling of exploration and danger.

gregor 17-04-2008 11:08 AM

Elders scroll is much more and the puzzles are different. But i would recomend them.

Arx Fatalis is a must if you liked ultima. Indeed there is no music, but that is great for me. It also has plenty of sound effect that fill that voide making you feel like you are in Stygian Abyss again...

_JustAName_1 18-04-2008 01:39 AM

I third Arx Fatalis, it basically is UW3.

Blood-Pigggy is correct in that Elder Scrolls 1 + 2 are heavy RPG games (and are huge games), but can get very repetitive. However, the best game in that series, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, is a masterpiece. If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend it.

System Shock 1 + 2 are more FPSs with an RPG element in them. System Shock 2 is a good one to try though.

In my opinion, having played all the aforementioned games, Morrowind is likely the closest modern equivalent of the UW experience that you're likely to find. Barring that, Arx Fatalis is your game.

Blood-Pigggy 18-04-2008 01:59 AM

I hardly consider Morrowind to be more like UW than Arx Fatalis, aside from the perspective, they are nothing alike, but can see where you're coming from. UW did essentially establish the free form movement of most first person RPGs.

Arx Fatalis has a similar combat system, setting, writing, and it even aludes to some of the plot used in UW, it is the quintessential modern UW conversion.
As I mentioned, I utterly hated Morrowind and the rest of the TES series and only consider Daggerfall worth playing, that is one rocky RPG series.

Kugerfang 18-04-2008 05:21 AM

Do FPS RPGs count?

If so, try Deus Ex. It's a masterpiece.

Talin 19-04-2008 06:29 PM

there is First-Person view in Gothic 3, ya know? ;)

Talin 19-04-2008 06:32 PM

other then that there is the Wizardy series, or Wizard & Warriors, although those are party based.

Scatty 19-04-2008 07:30 PM

They're all not like Ultima Underworld series, though, unless you mean the ancient Wizardry 1 through 5 games. Taking it strictly, Ultima Underworld games are Dungeon Crawl RPG's, while Wizardry 6 or 7 are general, outside world RPG's.
Same with Gothic or Elder Scrolls series, they're all general RPG's, but Arx Fatalis is Dungeon Crawling since it's playing strictly "under earth's surface", so it is the same as Ultima Underworld if not for all the rest that makes it a successor.

Blood-Pigggy 19-04-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talin (Post 323876)

It sucks horribly and is abysmal and DISGUSTING compared to the first two.

Talin 20-04-2008 12:28 PM

but still its first person view.

Talin 20-04-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 323879)
They're all not like Ultima Underworld series, though, unless you mean the ancient Wizardry 1 through 5 games. Taking it strictly, Ultima Underworld games are Dungeon Crawl RPG's, while Wizardry 6 or 7 are general, outside world RPG's.
Same with Gothic or Elder Scrolls series, they're all general RPG's, but Arx Fatalis is Dungeon Crawling since it's playing strictly "under earth's surface", so it is the same as Ultima Underworld if not for all the rest that makes it a successor.

well those games are very few and very far between. last one like that was Arx Fatalis, as far as i can gather.:(

Kugerfang 20-04-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talin (Post 323876)

FPS = First-Person Shooter.

Talin 20-04-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugerfang (Post 323921)
FPS = First-Person Shooter.

thats why i said FIRST-PERSON VIEW and not FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER, cuz i was talking about the view point mode that you can have in Gothic 3 and that is present in the Might and Magic series or Arx Fatalis, which are not FPS games, but more like FPRPGS.:)
(First-Person Roleplaying Games)

Blood-Pigggy 20-04-2008 07:15 PM

No one cares if Gothic 3 is FP if it sucks.

gregor 21-04-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 323879)

technically Ultima Underworld 2 is not under earth's surface - the castle get's covered by a dome... there are many worlds out there (some are even in the sky if i remember - could they be Plains of Oblivion?!?!)

Scatty 21-04-2008 08:13 AM

There are no worlds with open sky, unless you mean the ethereal void, but that's pretty much the only one and there's no sky either. Generally, eventhough storywise it's not underground, it's still all the time "inside" so it can be also considered a Dungeon Crawl game.
Plains of Despair are strictly underground, as people there tell about their world.

Talin 21-04-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy (Post 323940)
No one cares if Gothic 3 is FP if it sucks.

sheesh, i only used it as an example, first-person view RPGing isnt exactly usual stuff nowadays, if you dont count Dark Messiah into the genre, which i dont. :amused:

but personally i thought Gothic 3 was OK, didnt have problems with bugs or anything else, sure, G1-2 was better but G3 was playable for me.

alrighty then, back on topic.

Anvil of Dawn is an FPV RPG, and is mainly based inside dungeons/castles.

Blood-Pigggy 21-04-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talin (Post 324050)
sheesh, i only used it as an example, first-person view RPGing isnt exactly usual stuff nowadays, if you dont count Dark Messiah into the genre, which i dont. :amused:

Aha? Are you kidding me? Most RPGs today are crappy action-RPG type fairs with a few of them third person, but there's no difference in that really.

Mass Effect, Oblivion, Two Worlds. All that tripe, there's even more being released like that new hype-queer Alpha Protocol or whatever that overrated piece of trash company Bioware is creating.

Anyways, if you're not going to count Dark Messiah, then you might just as well throw the games I mentioned in there, since they're action games.

Talin 21-04-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Most RPGs today are crappy action-RPG type fairs with a few of them third person, but there's no difference in that really.
dont disagree with ya there. all of the new RPGS that get released nowadays are crappy hype fests. Even Oblivion was kinda crappy, and i always loved the Elder Scrolls series since Arena.

but since the topic creator asked after Ultima Underworld type of games (First-Person View Dungeon Crawler) i gathered that he wanted the First -Person View gaming and would be interested in testing other "RPG" games where you can use FPV (First-Person View), and since Arx Fatalis was mentioned earlier i instead hinted that Gothic 3 had FPV by choice, who knows, maybe he likes it?

never intended for my post to become a slugfest with anyone.
i shall go back and just read the posts from now on, easier that way and no one needs to get angry on me. ;)

_JustAName_1 22-04-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talin (Post 324068)
dont disagree with ya there. all of the new RPGS that get released nowadays are crappy hype fests. Even Oblivion was kinda crappy, and i always loved the Elder Scrolls series since Arena.

/Agree, on both counts. RPGs these days seem to be missing the whole STORY thing, which has made many RPGs classics. From a strict standpoint of gameplay, however (and not considering Arx Fatalis), the Rlder Scrolls series is the closest cousin to UW - They are both designed to play in FP perspective, and have engines that directly interact with your environment (picking up items, using terrain to your advantage, etc.) But yeah, Oblivion's lack of story-telling depth and it's razor-fine shallow main story doomed it to "pretty hack and slash RPG" status.

gregor 22-04-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talin (Post 324068)
never intended for my post to become a slugfest with anyone.
i shall go back and just read the posts from now on, easier that way and no one needs to get angry on me. ;)

don't mind Piggy, he is always like that. :laugh:

Blood-Pigggy 22-04-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _JustAName_1 (Post 324078)
/Agree, on both counts. RPGs these days seem to be missing the whole STORY thing, which has made many RPGs classics. From a strict standpoint of gameplay, however (and not considering Arx Fatalis), the Rlder Scrolls series is the closest cousin to UW - They are both designed to play in FP perspective, and have engines that directly interact with your environment (picking up items, using terrain to your advantage, etc.) But yeah, Oblivion's lack of story-telling depth and it's razor-fine shallow main story doomed it to "pretty hack and slash RPG" status.

It's not so much the story, but the simplification and hand holding in the gameplay. There's no reward or satisfaction since the developers are constantly handing everything to do.

Remember the the early cornerstones of PC RPGs didn't have much in the terms of story. The early Ultimas (I-III) hardly had much story in them, nor did the venerable Wizardry series. The narrative revolution in RPGs didn't really occur until the late eighties and it gained prominence in the 90s when the technology allowed developers to put more into their games to represent their stories.

Even the SSI Goldbox games didn't always have amazing stories, the same goes for the Might and Magic games.
Story is important, but RPGs were never really founded on that, it became more popular with the release of games like Ultima VI, Fallout and Baldur's Gate that emphasized heavy story telling.

Talin 02-06-2008 06:52 PM

the first Might and Magics, like 1-5, actually had a good background story that you could follow troughout the series (Sheltem, Ancients etc).

Blood-Pigggy 02-06-2008 10:06 PM

As far as I remember they were incredibly generic kill foozle stories, despite the backstory.

Remember that TES has extensive backstory as well, but those games have shallow plots. There's a big difference, backstory doesn't matter as much since it's only flavoring.

Backstory is only extremely important if it influences the gameplay, as in Fallout where knowledge of Harold's creation can lead you to the Master.
My point was that the plot was threadbare, the backstory in the early M&Ms can be compared to reading the introductory story sections in a manual.

Even Warcraft had a complex backstory, not that much of it was in the game's real plot.

Talin 03-06-2008 04:08 PM

well most RPGS are generic Kill Foozle stories, as far as i can remember.

Blood-Pigggy 03-06-2008 04:51 PM

Exactly, so nuts to the people who think RPGs are all about stories.

gregor 04-06-2008 08:09 AM

they are about role playing and not story playing...

i am not really interested in reading long notes in foreign language. or even my mother's tongue. i am interested in doing everything i can and that that has some consequences to character and that the world react to my actions.

if i wanted only story i would do adventure games...

Blood-Pigggy 04-06-2008 07:32 PM

Definitely Gregor, that's exactly my belief, roleplaying is making your own story and playing your own role that you wish to.

It's why I loved Ultima IV, in the end your goal is to become the Avatar and be the living representation of the virtues, but how you did it was entirely up to you.

cardboard42 07-06-2008 05:20 AM

There's always Dungeon Hack, if you were looking more for the underground dungeon crawl more than the story bits. Dungeon Hack's story is basically - Find the orb. Do it now.

Scatty 07-06-2008 08:27 AM

Well, if for interesting roleplay, underground, and good story, there's always also Stonekeep, which is not as famous as Ultima Underworld, but also not bad. The music is often just great, the atmosphere in the game is pretty good, and there's enough speech in the game.

The current time is 12:53 PM (GMT)