Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Offers (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   GreenBanana - Jeff Kintz's Library of Games (Darkest Night, Elkinloor, etc.) (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=33379)

GreenBanana 29-07-2015 06:38 PM

GreenBanana - Jeff Kintz's Library of Games (Darkest Night, Elkinloor, etc.)

I've been graciously provided with Jeff Kintz's library of old DOS games that myself and others on this forum have searched for to no avail. I'm still in the process of examining each of them (and it would take me considerable more time to play through them all in their entirety), and I'm not very technologically-minded, but here's my attempt to offer them to this site for digital posterity.

These games have been Approved:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_Stalker (Post 365673)
Great news! Kintz found borderworld too and sent it to me,plus an unreleased game.The full list is:

Dismal Passages
Shape Shifter
Dark Convergence I
Dark Convergence II
Dismal Passages (remake)
Borderworld
The Darkest Night
Savage Future
Vor Terra
Elkinloor
Days of the Rabbit
Blood Feast of Vampyr
Zombie Exterminator
Gateway of Evil
Project Indra
the cursed land (unreleased)
robot anarchy

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy (Post 365681)
:omg: I have never seen so many obscure titles in one place. Anyways, they're all [APPROVED]

I have done some searches, probably pointless, since google gives max three results per title, and those are either some lists or some random mentions of the game. Plus you probably asked permission from the author.

The games I have are: I provided links to Moby Games for those titles above mentioned there, as a swathe of information is already available. Also included were games labeled Robot, Zombie10, and ZombieGrave, but I couldn't get them to run, even with d3drm.dll.

marko river 30-07-2015 09:30 AM

Awesoem and amazing :)
PM sent

Smiling Spectre 30-07-2015 12:42 PM

I got this games from Shadow_Stalker recently too. This Win games are strange, indeed. I was able to run Robot. Once. After that it crashed each time with the error. *shrugs* Seems, it doesn't like Win8 x64.

ORGDIS is named "Dismal Passages (Original version)" on author's site.

Funny thing is that while first part is slightly differs by name (original is simply "Dismal Passages", remake is "Dismal Passages Part I: The Wicked Curse"), Dismal Passages 2, mentioned in the original and remake, have totally different sub-names.

Also, Original and Remake are totally different in gameplay (original is flat, remake is two-dimensional), so we need both, I think.

Also, notice: it seems, Dark Convergence 2 is not complete game. It honestly says "Act I" in the start of the game, and whole game, actually (I checked walkthru on Youtube to be sure). Also, main exe named dc2pt1.exe. Meanwhile, readme.txt says about both acts of game. So it need to be renamed accordingly, I suppose... and part 2 is still missing. :/

Side note: I was surprised how similar all Jeff Knitz games to each other, so now I have no much desire to seek remaining ones, actually... :)

GreenBanana 30-07-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 463531)
I got this games from Shadow_Stalker recently too. This Win games are strange, indeed. I was able to run Robot. Once. After that it crashed each time with the error. *shrugs* Seems, it doesn't like Win8 x64.

When I apply the missing d3drm.dll, the .exe games Gate, Mars, Rabbit and Vampyr run, but Robot, Zombie10 and ZombieGrave always crash with Error 136, so I'm unable to get any information on them other than their executable names.

Smiling Spectre 30-07-2015 09:47 PM

It's... unstable, at best. I bet, speed problems, because I seen the very similar symptoms lo-ong ago, when tried to start some DOS-games on my Win98. :)

In that case virtual machine must easily solve this issue. :) WinXP, preferrably. :)

GreenBanana 01-08-2015 07:25 PM

Smiling_Spectre, if you have the games as well provided by Shadow_Stalker, have you been offered an attempt to upload them to this site? I was provided with information by a moderator on accessing the FTP server, but it didn't work. I contacted them about this the same day that they contacted me, but I've yet to receive a reply. I was wondering if anyone in a similar position has had any luck yet.

UPDATE:
I have had to remove Martian Death Machine because Archive.org reported malware in it.

Smiling Spectre 01-08-2015 10:14 PM

Same here, actually. Seems like FTP is broken for now. Try to report to admin? I... cannot remember, who is responsible enough, sorry. :(

Smiling Spectre 08-08-2015 06:13 PM

Thanks to Japo, I was able to upload everything on FTP into my folder. Set of D3DRM.DLL files included - from DirectX2 to 8, I believe. No one worked for me though on Win 8.1. :/

GreenBanana 26-09-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 463719)
Thanks to Japo, I was able to upload everything on FTP into my folder. Set of D3DRM.DLL files included - from DirectX2 to 8, I believe. No one worked for me though on Win 8.1. :/

How did the upload go? It's been about a month and I still can't find any of the games on Abandonia with a search. I even navigated manually. Elkinloor, for example, is nowhere to be seen.

arete 26-09-2015 03:40 PM

They need to be reviewed and screenshotted first.

Unless we upload them all at the same time and ask for reviews from the internetting public.

The current time is 08:35 PM (GMT)