Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Building a computer just for DOS games? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26085)

stinkywizzleteats 07-11-2010 03:15 PM

Building a computer just for DOS games?

I consider myself a computer nerd but am by no means a programmer. Current computer stats:

Pentium 4 , 3.19 GHz
2.98 GB RAM
And I'll have 1000 gig of memory as soon as I install this new drive..

Is there a relatively easy way to partition my computer to give me the option to load DOS or the current os (XP) ?

My skill level is much higher than the general populace, but at the same time.. not as good as many people on this board. I just spent 2 hours trying to get Warhammer Shadow Of The Horned Rat to work and I simply couldn't even after downloading a PS1 version of the game and trying (and failing) to run an emulator.

Would a better solution be to build my own computer or acquire a cheapo off ebay from 10+ years ago? In my ideal world I would do this on a newer laptop so I could carry it on trips.

Professor Oak 07-11-2010 03:30 PM

May I suggest using DOSBox for your venture instead?

stinkywizzleteats 07-11-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Oak (Post 416676)
May I suggest using DOSBox for your venture instead?

Point 1

Numerous games no amount of tweaking will fix the lack of sound. Ravenloft Strahd's Possession is one I could not make all the sound work on (I did get music going). Another is Master of Magic. To its credit some games do work awesome on it. Darksun Shattered Lands is one such game.

Point 2

Some games don't work in it. Warhammer Shadow of the Horned Rat is one.

The Fifth Horseman 07-11-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Would a better solution be to build my own computer or acquire a cheapo off ebay from 10+ years ago?
Either of those. Trying to run DOS on a modern computer is unlikely to work, seeing how many things have changed. The size of your hard drives alone may be an issue.

dosraider 07-11-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkywizzleteats (Post 416677)
Point 1
Ravenloft Strahd's Possession is one I could not make all the sound work on (I did get music going).

How strange, works perfect here, music, sound effects, voices ......

Kugerfang 09-11-2010 10:38 AM

If you do wanna go ahead with a dedicated DOS computer, Ebay is your best bet. Try looking around thrift shops as well.

xtgold 12-11-2010 11:58 PM

hd

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkywizzleteats (Post 416675)
I consider myself a computer nerd but am by no means a programmer. Current computer stats:

Pentium 4 , 3.19 GHz
2.98 GB RAM
And I'll have 1000 gig of memory as soon as I install this new drive..

Is there a relatively easy way to partition my computer to give me the option to load DOS or the current os (XP) ?

My skill level is much higher than the general populace, but at the same time.. not as good as many people on this board. I just spent 2 hours trying to get Warhammer Shadow Of The Horned Rat to work and I simply couldn't even after downloading a PS1 version of the game and trying (and failing) to run an emulator.

Would a better solution be to build my own computer or acquire a cheapo off ebay from 10+ years ago? In my ideal world I would do this on a newer laptop so I could carry it on trips.

Hardrives are inexpensive now.
Just swap another one in with dos 7.10 when you want to play dos games.
The biggest issue is getting the soundcard to work.
I had to use a pc that still had an isa slot and I used a sb awe64 for sound.
An 80gig or so drive holds a lot of dos games.

DarthHelmet86 13-11-2010 03:43 AM

I don't understand why you would go through all that trouble just to play Dos games in real Dos. Dosbox does the job fine, and you dont have to play around with your hardware. If you want an old computer have a look around and buy one of Ebay or at a meet and swap event....but you are going to have trouble getting parts to replace anything that breaks.

I don't know people around here are nuts I reckon.

xtgold 13-11-2010 04:11 AM

infinity

I use infinity machine with dos games,which must be run in true dos.

DarthHelmet86 13-11-2010 04:13 AM

What is this infinity machine and what does it do for you......

The current time is 12:18 AM (GMT)