Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Railroad Tycoon (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=2680)

Kosta 25-01-2005 02:32 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download

bohor 25-01-2005 03:36 PM

heh, I played this game on the amiga emu, but I just couldn't figure out how to build railways! :eeeeeh:

Sebatianos 25-01-2005 04:04 PM

You have the manual, and you can read the review, or I can just tell you:
hold shift and move around with the numeric keys (on the far right).

aaberg 25-01-2005 05:25 PM

This is absolutely one of the best games ever made. I have used countless hours on it. Great job guys :ok:

Havell 25-01-2005 05:38 PM

The manual's download doesn't seem to contain the manual but a copy of the game.

Sebatianos 25-01-2005 06:17 PM

Manual trouble again?
I'll add it later... Sorry - still new at this.

Tulac 25-01-2005 06:18 PM

They don't seem to make tycoons like this today the only exception RC tycoon but it's roughly the same since the first one(except graphcs).

Barbarne 25-01-2005 06:23 PM

Hehe This game is great, although i havent played it much i have seen my mother playing it for so many times. She is almost as addicted to this game as she is addicted to Colonization.

But the thing is that you really dont have to play it to enjoy it, i felt how great it was by just sitting next to her watching as she dominated on the higest difficulty:).

DiamondSoul 25-01-2005 06:26 PM

Heh, I never knew there was an older version of Transport Tycoon. Cool! :ok:

bohor 25-01-2005 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 25 2005, 07:17 PM
Manual trouble again?
I'll add it later... Sorry - still new at this.

Thanks Sebatianos!! Didn't read the rewiev cause I didn't indented to play it!

yip 25-01-2005 08:47 PM

This is my favorite all-time game.
A-Train, Transport Tycoon, A4 Networks don't come close
It looks like you've uploaded the VGA remake ? original was in EGA.
Start playing directly with complex economy, and put other levels to easy settings, for a begginning.
This way, you can put up some elaborate route regarding wanted goods here or there. that is a most enjoyable part
laying tracks with the keypad looks odd, but it is in fact a neat idea, regards to simplicity.

Thanks a lot Sebastianos, you seem a real fan too :kosta:

Take a look at RailRoad Tycoon 2 and its add-on "the new century" and it is quite the same gameplay (despite Sid Meier did not contributed to the sequel)
both are simply my 1rst and 2nd favorites.
Don't know about the RRT 3

happy new year

BLOODUK 26-01-2005 09:59 AM

ahhh this was the best RT ever made, far better than its second one

Nosmo 26-01-2005 11:41 AM

i love this version of the game.
They did away with my favorite map, the england one when they released it as rr delux :cry:

mat 02-02-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kosta@Jan 25 2005, 03:32 PM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download

I've tried downloading the demo (can't find full free vrsion) but its in german and I don't know how to get it in English. Any ideas?

bohor 02-02-2005 01:11 PM

Just downlaod the game from this site! It is a full, and free version!!

Caleb79 08-02-2005 07:54 AM

i´ve some troubles with this game, plz help:

i´ve winxp and i want to start the game.exe, then the game ask about graphic (vga), sound (no) and input (mouse and keyboadr), so far so good.
but the game doesn´t want to start, why???

Guest_John 11-02-2005 02:15 AM

im still having trouble building the rails

im doing the shift + numeric pad numbers and no go.

another_guest 11-02-2005 10:47 AM

I can't guarantee it will work with this version, but I always built tracks by first clicking on the place where I wanted to start, then using the arrow keys. You will have to use the numeric pad though for any diagonal rails. Have you tried switching your num lock on and off, to see if this makes a difference?

Guest_John 11-02-2005 11:37 PM

that did it (num lock with no shift)

thanks

Kizzikat 12-02-2005 08:45 AM

Is Railway Tycoon II considered abandonware yet?

lord 11-03-2005 10:53 AM

I have same problem with celeb.
The game just wont start.
What should I do?
I use win95 osr2

Guest 22-03-2005 11:19 PM

Im having same problem as caleb79 with winxp

Sebatianos 23-03-2005 06:45 PM

Sorry - I've been away for a while.
Do not chose VGA graphics under WinXP. Go for the MCGA (I think it's that).
You'll get the same quality graphics, but with no animation. Otherwise it doesn't work.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll go and add this piece of info in the review!

Pipit 27-03-2005 04:52 AM

Railroad Tycoon II is not abandonware yet. Poptop still holds the rights.

Anyone know if there is a map editor for the original RRT (the DOS version) or RRT Delux? Be nice to find a way to make your own maps. Maybe I'll make an attempt at finding out how to do that over the summer....

Guest_kokomo 30-03-2005 03:56 PM

How do you build double tracks instead of single tracks?

Can't find the manual, is it anywhere?

Sebatianos 30-03-2005 05:42 PM

YES there ARE double tracks. Just press D where you want to double them (but a track has to be built first!

I have the manual, but I have to compress it some more, to get it up (it's still too big). Keep checing back with the game (or this thread)!

ripster88 05-04-2005 06:39 AM

After downloading Transport Tycoon, and finding it hard to learn, I decided to download this.

I hope it's good!

another_guest 05-04-2005 06:46 AM

I'd say RRT is less complicated than Transport Tycoon, especially on easier levels where the stock brokers' market doesn't play an important role. I suggest you start in Europe, it's a lot easier and faster than for example South America (more densely populated, more cargo)
Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to post :)

baaust 05-04-2005 08:22 PM

I too would like to download the manual. Has anyone found a site where it can be downloaded?

Also, when you're in the second-closest zoom (f2), it shows the stations. In the stations, green bars appear. Does anybody know what these mean?

Sebatianos 05-04-2005 10:16 PM

I have the manual - but the extras aren't working properly. I'll add a link to it as soon as I can! Keep checking the review (the manual will be added sometime this week).

EDIT - HERE is the manual!

Not another guest 06-04-2005 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by another_guest@Apr 5 2005, 06:46 AM
I'd say RRT is less complicated than Transport Tycoon, especially on easier levels where the stock brokers' market doesn't play an important role. I suggest you start in Europe, it's a lot easier and faster than for example South America (more densely populated, more cargo)

South American map is not included in this game. You must be thinking of Railroad Tycoon Deluxe!!!

another_guest 06-04-2005 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Not another guest+Apr 6 2005, 12:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Not another guest @ Apr 6 2005, 12:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-another_guest@Apr 5 2005, 06:46 AM

South American map is not included in this game. You must be thinking of Railroad Tycoon Deluxe!!! [/b][/quote]
Sorry about that...
But what I said still holds, the European map is the easiest of all.
One of the best starting routes was always Lille-Brussels-Amsterdam, though of course you should leave out any city that's small due to the game's randomizer.
Starting there would give you both access to Germany and France (->Paris) and it's a short route to begin with.

Such mistakes happen every now and then, I just remember the version I used to have long time ago, sometimes without knowing there were different versions :unsure:

Sebatianos 06-04-2005 11:19 AM

Well playing Europe is usually the easiest. And you don't have to choose just those cities. I usually start on route Graz-Zagreb-Trieste (then conect Bologna, Sarajevo, Vienna, Munich,...). You basically just need a few big cities. On the European map you can get a lot of money transporting mail and passangers between the cities (unlike US - where passangers and mail don't bring in enough income).

BTW - if somebody hasn't noticed - the MANUAL is finally up!!!

Jay 11-05-2005 07:58 PM

I Love this game. Ihave every version of it, but I can't get this one to work because the disk is bad, though I do fell uncomfortable with this sort of thing, I guess it should be okkay since I did have a bought version. I also have RRT Deluxe, I got it as part of the Conquer the World set. That's the best way to get it. It has good graphics, but I miss the animated scenes from the original. These two and RRT3 Are my favorite.

Deuce 11-05-2005 08:04 PM

Ok guys dumb question I know, but I can't figure out how to download the game and I want it soooo bad. Can you point to the spot where I am supposed to download it? I keep looking on this page:

http://www.abandonia.com/games/406/Railroad_Tycoon

But I don't see an actual download link. What am I missing?!

Thanks!

another_guest 11-05-2005 08:39 PM

Apparently the download link was removed; usually it shows "get it" instead of that ESA icon that's been placed there now. Maybe it wasn't abandonware yet or someone just bought the rights to the game?

Tom Henrik 11-05-2005 09:09 PM

ESA told us to remove the game. Read why here

another_guest 11-05-2005 10:45 PM

(I'm straying a bit off-topic here, but I guess it doesn't matter since this game is no longer available for download)

That's really a pity, especially because I've always seen Abandonia remove download links the moment they saw a game wasn't abandonware. So it's a shame that you guys are now "punished" like this even if you've always tried to do things right.
On the other hand, still plenty of interesting games left on abandonia, fortunately enough :)

Sebatianos 11-05-2005 10:52 PM

It seems al the Microprose, Electronic Arts, Sierra, Bullfrog, Acclaim and Brooderbung games are ESA protected - this would just fall into this category - though :wall:

mj 08-06-2005 02:33 PM

The manual's download doesn't seem to contain the manua.
What's happen? :blink:

Sebatianos 08-06-2005 02:45 PM

It's a big pdf file, but you need to download and unzip it first. Then you must use Acrobate reader (or some other programme that can read the PDF format).

mj 08-06-2005 03:56 PM

There is a link to the manual in the review.
I did not read the review. Because I am not too good at English.

I'm sorry.

Translation by www.excite.co.jp

Guest 17-06-2005 01:44 AM

Hi I play this game as well trying to zoom using F2, but it's nothing but green. What happen? Thanks

Sebatianos 17-06-2005 05:42 PM

Well it's like this:
the keys F1, F2, F3 and F4 are the zoom in/out keys.
You need to zoom in with F4 to be able to really see or do something.
Hope that helps - enjoy the game!

Rusty1979 18-07-2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by yip@Jan 25 2005, 09:47 PM
Don't know about the RRT 3
RRT3 really sucks...the gameplay is terrible...RRT2 was just nice, maybe some improvements could be made, but a 3d game wasn't a good idea.

I loved Transport Tycoon de Luxe very much. Not just building trains, but other transportation also.

Kreepah 14-08-2005 07:43 AM

How do i build rails? i got it highlighted and i presws directional keys but nothin happens. Also when i try to download the manual from this site it gets the game. Can i have link to the manual in a pdf (railroad tycoon not rrt deluxe)

Sebatianos 14-08-2005 08:30 AM

Looking into the manual problem now (will be fixed soon). But to build simply hold shift and press directional key (numeric keys - maybe you need to switch on/off the num-lock).

another_guest 14-08-2005 08:43 AM

Using the numeric keys, it's also possible to build diagonal tracks.

Sebatianos 14-08-2005 09:23 AM

HERE is the PDF Manual to the game (I'm just fixing the link on the main site). Thanks for asking, otherwise I'd never even check the conection and wouldn't be able to fix it). :ok:
There are now two aditional links within the text where you can click to get the manual also. Hope it helps.

Kreepah 14-08-2005 10:29 AM

yes! thanks, i been looking for the manual everywhere
also im building rails aswell :cheers:

Challenger 29-08-2005 03:09 PM

So this games now been removed?

The 'Get This' link is dead?

Challenger

another_guest 29-08-2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Challenger@Aug 29 2005, 03:09 PM
So this games now been removed?

The 'Get This' link is dead?

Challenger

It seems to work fine here... What happens when you try to download it?

Sebatianos 29-08-2005 04:21 PM

Well I remember that there was some problems with this game (because it should fall in the category of ESA protected games), but we are allowed to host it! :Brain:

So the link really was gone for a short period of time - but is back now :kosta: :Brain: :kosta:

Challenger 30-08-2005 10:24 AM

yep working now

I'm under the impression I had the bad luck to start trying to download when the site was having trouble

BTW do I need a floppy disk to save this game?

Challenger

Sebatianos 30-08-2005 12:09 PM

Nope - you can save on your hard-drive - works like a charm, but you can only have 4 save games (so you'll have to move them from the default folder if you want to save more then that).

Challenger 30-08-2005 07:19 PM

ty

Madonna 26-10-2005 04:40 PM

It means the revenue that station has created :ok:

JC 02-01-2006 06:15 PM

Hi

Hope someone can help me...

I got Railroad Tycoon from a bargin bin cd, by RomZon

The only problem is that it refuses to install on XB (some error when you try to run menu.exe from dos box).

Does anyone have a clue how to get the silly thing working in XP?

(it was only $4, but I'd still like to play it)

Thanks

JC

punch999 02-01-2006 10:40 PM

Dosbox is god.

Railfan 30-01-2006 08:13 PM

The version I had (when I bought it FOR REAL in 1990) couldn't let me have more than $30,000,000. it would peg out at $29,999,999. As well, there was a limit to the number of stations you could build. And, when you score too high, you're ranked as a Hobo instead of President. Anyone else experience this?

Sebatianos 30-01-2006 08:35 PM

Yup (BTW that's the version we have here).

Railfan 31-01-2006 04:20 AM

Was there ever a crack that fixed that?

Sebatianos 31-01-2006 10:57 AM

Well, the first game (on floppies) required the Train Rooster (from the manual), but the CD version didsn't require it anymore (although it's the original Microsoft version). It's because they included the manual on the disk rather then printing it out, so you'd have to exit the game and look at the trains (or memorize them). Comouters back then didn't allow mulitple tasks - so you couldn't have been running the game and looking at the manual at the same time to find the answer.

Railfan 31-01-2006 01:44 PM

I had the game on floppies, and I memorized the trains. but it was the scoring bugs and train limits that I was wondering. WHy only 32 trains? Why only so many stations? Why can't I score more than $30,000,000? I wondered if that had ever been fixed?
The first computer I played it on ran at 8 MHz. It almost ran in real time. The speed of the processor actually affected the revenue you got at each station, and the value of the bonus you got.

Sebatianos 31-01-2006 04:42 PM

Those aren't bugs - those are limitation the game has (it simply couldn't handle more then a certain number of trains or stations).

Railfan 31-01-2006 11:40 PM

Are those limits in the deluxe version?

superking 12-02-2006 03:42 PM

^IIRC from playing the deluxe version a decade ago, yes, the limits are still in place. Try building factories or powerplants in remote corners of the map to spend excess cash if you have trouble bumping up against that limit.

I'm curious, like Pipit a couple pages ago, if anybody has ever found a way to edit maps for this game. I don't have a program that can open any of the .pic files that come with it, though of course that would hardly be enough. Presumably when you open the CITIES0/1/2/3 files, the seemingly random characters associated with each city name correspond to the city's location on the map. I also assume that outside of river, city center, and ocean squares, each square on the map has a series of probabilities associated with it--the likelihood of its being plains, hills, mountains, forest, farms, village, industry, or what-have-you. It doesn't seem like this would be too hard to figure out, with the right tools, but the only thing I can open these files with is notepad and it doesn't exactly represent the lines of code in any readable format.
Has anybody ever played around with this idea?

Guest 05-03-2006 02:37 PM

Does anyone know if theres a patch that fixes the money over flow problems?

Guest 10-03-2006 12:24 PM

I remember an exploit using this overflow. If you build powerplants until you have 32Mio or so red dollars, the number is going black. Not sure if 32Mio was exactly the value.

Guest 21-03-2006 12:52 AM

I confess that RRT Deluxe is far better than the original version for a couple of reasons:

A. Much better graphics. I still had some time adpating myself to RRT Deluxe graphics, but the original RRT graphics are too much for me.

B. Mostly cosmetic issues like having a more realistic portrait for your historical adversaries.

C. The ability to choose the starting year.

D. New trains.

D. Last but not the least, because in North America they replaced the grasshoppers with the John Bull. They can make a great difference in the beginning of the game because the John Bull is really a superior train capable of pulling three cars at good speed. It is superior to the RRT grashoppers and the european Planet design.

Overall, I think RRT Deluxe is above RRT and I have far more fun playing the Deluxe version. Altough RRT is still a great game and I miss an England map.

Guest 21-03-2006 03:16 AM

You forgot to mention one importaint thing:
Without Railroad Tycoon there would be no deluxe version. There's still nothing like the original!

Guest 22-03-2006 07:13 PM

Great news to all railroad fans! It appears that after 16 years, Sid Meier is now working on a new Railroad Tycoon (now entitled Sid Meier's Railroads):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146052.html

Well I can't wait for it. The creative genius of Sid Meier is really needed after many years...

Guest 22-03-2006 07:30 PM

Here is the Sid Meier's Railroads! official website (In Firaxis):

http://www.firaxis.com/news/news_detail.php?id=195

Now let's patiently wait for a new Railroad Tycoon :D !

Tony 12-04-2006 04:35 AM

Just wondering how do you lay track on a laptop without a numeric keypad

another_guest 12-04-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tony@Apr 12 2006, 04:35 AM
Just wondering how do you lay track on a laptop without a numeric keypad
Don't you have a Num Lock key that turns part of your keyboard into a numeric pad?

Sebatianos 12-04-2006 08:36 AM

You could also try with HOME, END, PG UP and PG DOWN keys (it might work).

jjumpm2 01-05-2006 09:49 AM

Hi,

Has anyone got a copy of the manual they could upload? The link does not seem to be working..

thanks in advance..

Ian

Japo 01-05-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jjumpm2@May 1 2006, 11:49 AM
Has anyone got a copy of the manual they could upload? The link does not seem to be working..
It's true, it doesn't work. I've got the manual (I think I got it here), but I guess it would be simpler if the existing link be repaired. I wonder what would be the best means to attract the admins' attention towards this malfunction...

Guest_Wolfman_* 06-07-2006 05:39 AM

I have a laptop. I can't lay track. Numlock doesn't seem to do anything. The home/end/Pup/Pdn keys work as diagonals, but also cannot lay track. I've tried both shift keys alone and in tandem, as well as different DLs of the game. Help!

Guest_chris_* 08-08-2006 10:09 AM

been trying it out a while now, and i'm also having difficulties building tracks. to build singel tracks, i use num+lock and keys without holding shif in. but building double tracked seems difficult, still have no idea how to do that (it does not work with shif+d and keys)

Japo 08-08-2006 02:00 PM

I think you had to press D while the cursor was on an existing track.

Guest 10-08-2006 04:41 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Aug 8 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]247340[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I think you had to press D while the cursor was on an existing track.
[/b]
yes, got that part, but still dont work

Guest 10-08-2006 08:41 PM

The cursor must be on the track you wish to double and press D (if it doesn't work and opens the pull down menue instead try pressing SHIFT+D).

Grand Dad 14-08-2006 12:51 PM

Why not simply let the actions window at the top do it?

Kallaghan 01-09-2006 07:49 AM

I downloaded this game which was one of my favourite. unfortunately i'm using a laptop without numpad and it seems without numlock so i can't build any tracks.

someone have any idea how to solve my problem?

thank you

The Fifth Horseman 01-09-2006 03:40 PM

Read up earlier in the thread, I think it was already discussed.

Gerhard 05-09-2006 03:17 PM

doesn't work on my laptop either. cannot lay track, even when putting num lock on.
any suggestions?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 1 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]252336[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Read up earlier in the thread, I think it was already discussed.
[/b]

Guest 08-09-2006 01:44 AM

I just discovered how to lay track with a laptop! Hold numlock pressed and use the letters wich have numbers (my laptop is: 789uiojklñm its a spanish keyboard) ALSO HOLD SHIFT PRESSED AT THE SAME TIME.

Guest 17-10-2006 01:41 AM

got a problem when i'm trying to converse goods. i'm bringing coal to a steel mill, there it's getting converted into steel...works fine so far. then i bring the steel to a depot adjacent to a factory and as far as i know it should be converted to mfg goods. but it's not... the steel just stays at the station and i don't get any mfg goods. already wondered when i built the station because i think it didn't show anything in the "demand" category. i can't see why it doesn't work, the station is in an adjacent square to sthe factory... ( had the same problem with a paper mill earlier, one paper mill worked fine, but at the other one the wood just stayed as it was...) can anybody help?

another_guest 17-10-2006 07:15 AM

Are the factories / paper mills / ... within range of the station or depot you are building? (see the white squares when you are building a station)

Guest 17-10-2006 11:09 PM

thx for the reply!
yes, they are... could it be that a city has got to be in range of the station too?? because it seems that stations only accept any good when they are near a city... and whenever there's ONLY a factory in range the goods just stay at the station and don't get converted. i think it's kind of strange because like this some factories can't be used at all as there's no city near. but it's the only explanation i could find yet. am i right??

Japo 17-10-2006 11:21 PM

Not really, no city is necessary, and what is more I never ever experienced that bug (nor any other). How strange.

Guest 18-10-2006 01:39 AM

That' really strange... i even tried to build the station on the factory square, i tried it with different goods (wood for paper mill/factory for steel/etc.) and with all sizes of stations from depot to terminal. and it was always the same: when there was no city in the range of the station it didn't accept anything...

another_guest 18-10-2006 06:58 AM

Could you upload your saved game? Maybe someone from the forum could check whether he/she experiences the same problem under exactly the same circumstances?

Guest_Sebatianos_* 18-10-2006 10:41 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 18 2006, 01:39 AM) [snapback]261866[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

That' really strange... i even tried to build the station on the factory square, i tried it with different goods (wood for paper mill/factory for steel/etc.) and with all sizes of stations from depot to terminal. and it was always the same: when there was no city in the range of the station it didn't accept anything...
[/b]
Just a silly question - at which reality level are you playing?

I think you MUST have the COMPLEX ECONOMY selected, otherwise all the cities will simply buy whatever you deliver without producing anything in return.

Japo 18-10-2006 01:25 PM

Ah, that could do the trick. Maybe in simple economy the game ignores factories, I don't know because I only played in complex economy.

Anyway the money you can make out of goods is nearly nothing compared to what you can make out of passengers.

Guest 20-10-2006 01:37 PM

Silly question? silly answer? who knows... :)
no, thx for your suggestion but as i wrote it DOES work when there's a city in range of my station. but when there's NO city near the factory which i want to convert goods for me then it does not work. the factory only converts the goods if there's ALSO a city in range of my station. i'd like to upload the savegame but i didn't find the savegame file. but even with this restriction it's a great game!!
and thx for your help everybody!

Guest 20-10-2006 01:43 PM

oh, and i forgot... i play with sipmple economy so far. but the factories are not ignored completely... it's only that i need
1. a factory
2. a city
in range of my station to have my goods converted...
ok, and now, enough of that!

Japo 20-10-2006 02:33 PM

Okay, before ending this, are you sure you need a factory in simple economy? Have you tried it at a city without factory?

another_guest 20-10-2006 02:36 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 20 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]262498[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i'd like to upload the savegame but i didn't find the savegame file.[/b]
If I remember well they have .sv1 or .sav as extension.
Just look for the files that have changed the last day & hour you played, the save games will be among those.

Guest 22-10-2006 01:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Oct 20 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]262523[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Okay, before ending this, are you sure you need a factory in simple economy? Have you tried it at a city without factory?
[/b]
Yes, if i bring the raw materials to a city without a factory they do buy them but don't convert them.

Guest 22-10-2006 01:34 PM

ahhh, i'm stupid. searched the wrong drive for the savegame, now i found it. uploaded it here:

(strange, i can't send this post if the adress is written here... could it be that it's forbidden to post adresses? maybe it works like this:
rapidshare.com/files/125381/rr2.sve

i just built a kind of example of my problem into the game, it's quite far in the west of the map, i built a big circle of rails around it, so you can easily find it on the large map.

in this example it's with live stock, i bring it to a stock yard but they won't take it. you can try to change cars at the stock yard's station, then the live stock will be unloaded, but it will just rot at the station without being converted.
furthermore...i'm stupid. searched the wrong drive for the savegame, now i found it. uploaded it here:

Nimrod 17-11-2006 08:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 8 2006, 01:44 AM) [snapback]253582[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I just discovered how to lay track with a laptop! Hold numlock pressed and use the letters wich have numbers (my laptop is: 789uiojklñm its a spanish keyboard) ALSO HOLD SHIFT PRESSED AT THE SAME TIME.
[/b]
:sos:
Sorry to nag about this issue...
I have a laptop and just couldn't succeed building track. I tried everything you suggested so far and nothing works. It's driving my mad :wallbash:
I loved this game so much as a teen and after rediscovering it, I want to play it again so much...

Thanks

Guest 19-11-2006 08:03 AM

I guess different laptops have different key layouts. You should check the manual on how to activate the NUM KEYS. Hopefully that will provide some help.

Guest 19-11-2006 10:48 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 19 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]267576[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I guess different laptops have different key layouts. You should check the manual on how to activate the NUM KEYS. Hopefully that will provide some help.
[/b]
Thanks.
I didn't find a way to solve the problem, so I strated palying the Deluxe version that works fine.
By the way, does someone have the economic charts for each one of the continents?

Thanks again for this great forum, :ok:

Nimrod

Morker 07-01-2007 01:59 PM

Great game.. I still love it very, very much....

Just one question: I was wondering about one of the ingame pictures on the download page. The sixth from above, where there a station and a text like "First textiles delievered etc." I never saw this pictures (or something like that) in my whole life and sure spent weeks just playing the game.....

Regards
Morker

Guest_Sebatianos_* 12-01-2007 07:20 AM

That's strange!

Everytime I introduce a new service and the first delivery of it is made I see that notification. Maybe you're using a different version. Have you tried the one right here on Abandonia?

The screenshots are from the White Label's release of the game (with the protection question removed). Maybe different versions of the game are not completely identical.

Razvan28 31-03-2007 12:01 PM

The game warns me that some trains didn't got maintenance. How do you do that?

Sebatianos 31-03-2007 12:08 PM

They have to go through a station that has a maintenance building (or an engine shop). If the trains aren't maintained often enough they will break down.

You can build the maintenance adition to any type of a station (even depo).

You don't need them at all stations and the trains don't have to be visiting maintenance shops all the time, but it's a good idea that every possible route your trains have include at least one station with a maintenance station (or an engine shop - where you can purchase new engines).

Razvan28 31-03-2007 06:21 PM

Thanks. That solved the problem.

proffie 18-06-2007 01:18 PM

I am somewhat lost with the identification of the different industries ason. In the manual, there is a "player aid card" mentioned. does anybody have this available for download?
thx

Sebatianos 18-06-2007 01:46 PM

Are you sure the PLAYER AID CARD is ment for this game (not the Deluxe version)?

Anyway...

The industries varry from map to map. In Europe for instance factories produce weapons (arms) and in Norhtern US they produce Manufactured Goods (Mfg Goods).

Europe:
steel mill - needs coal - makes steel
factory - needs steel - makes weapons
fort - need weapons
chemical industry - needs nitrates - makes fertilizer
textile mills - need wool - make textile
winery - needs grapes - makes wine
power plant - makes steal from coal and furthilizer from nitrates

England:
Brewery - needs hops - makes beer
Factory - needs steel - makes goods
Textile Mill - needs cotton - makes textiles
Steel Mill - needs coal - makes steel
Powerplant - almost imppossible to find a place to build it
Chemical plant - needs chemicals - makes goods

US (east and west):
Food Proc. - needs grain - makes food
Stockyard - needs Lifestock - makes food
Factory - needs steel - makes goods
Paper Mill - needs wood - makes paper
Steel Mill - needs coal - makes steel
Powerplant - makes goods from petroleum, steel from coal and paper from wood
Refinery - needs petroleum - makes goods

masshlx 01-12-2007 09:53 AM

Hi. Newbie here, but not to gaming. This was my favorite game back in the early '90's, would love to revisit it. Do I actually need Dosbox, or can I run the program without it?

TIA,
Bill

dosraider 01-12-2007 10:30 AM

Depends of your OS.
If it's W2K,XP or Vista you really better run it through dosbox.

It can run(?) directly in XP but ..... naaaaaah, XP is really not meant to run dosgames.

Those ol'games really need dosbox, -(or VPC, but dosbox is better and easier for dosgaming)-, and most modern hardware can't fully emulate a soundblaster, you get soundproblems- crashes in XP-Vista. Dosbox takes care of that.

Arvid Nelson 17-07-2008 07:21 PM

Manual?

Sebastianos--thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for uploading this game. It's just as great today as it was when I first played it!

One small problem is that the manual link still doesn't seem to work. I tried clicking on the link in your excellent review, on the link at the end of the review, and at the top of the page... but each time I'm directed to a "page not found" link, or to a download of the game itself.

If you have time to fix it--I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Tamrhind 26-07-2008 07:33 PM

Read all about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosta (Post 53879)
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here..

What is there possibly left to say about this pearl that doesn't already overfill libraries! :love:

Tamrhind 26-07-2008 07:46 PM

Wot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morker (Post 266160)
Great game.. I still love it very, very much....

Just one question: I was wondering about one of the ingame pictures on the download page. The sixth from above, where there a station and a text like "First textiles delievered etc." I never saw this pictures (or something like that) in my whole life and sure spent weeks just playing the game.....

Regards
Morker

"Curiouser and curiouser"; I get the "First... screen as soon I set up my first two connected station with a passenger-mail service within 15 mins.! :wondering:

Unlimited3 27-11-2008 02:20 AM

Help

I was wondering if anyone could help me with what to do once i download it, do i click on the Batch file or GAME.Exe
Then when i do click on either one i choose MCGA and i choose shh no sound then keyboard and mouse and i get a black screen and it disappears :doh: lol

Help would be appreciated :max:

Peace

arete 27-11-2008 02:58 AM

You'll need to run it in DOSbox. :) Later Windows version isn't gonna run a dos game. You'll find links to our Programmes section, as well as to our DOSbox tutorials, on the FAQ page. :OK:

Unlimited3 27-11-2008 09:43 PM

Worked like a charm :)

Spanks

sgtboat 01-12-2008 05:11 PM

manual

you can also get it from www.replacementdocs.com

Vagabundus 24-06-2009 11:44 PM

Laying rails problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest_John (Post 61541)
im still having trouble building the rails

im doing the shift + numeric pad numbers and no go.

This is a very old thread, but I just started playing and finally figured out the problem with building rails.

The process needs a lot of attempts using different combos until you succeed at laying the first few tracks. After that, it works as advertised (Shft-Numpad)

I generally will go through a number of different combos of shift/arrow keys (not numpad keys)/enter/caplock/???

I haven't found a pattern except that
(1) it never works the first time starting a session,
(2) my first successful tracks are always from the arrow keys (not numpad),
(3) it helps to go back and forth over already-laid track--you'll see a slight shift in the screen when the keys start working,
(4) once I get it working, it works with no problems for the entire game session.

Don't give up, it will eventually work and the game is worth it.

Phreeze_lu 19-01-2010 06:32 PM

the manual link is stil wrong and links to the whole game, not including a manual:
http://www.abandonia.com/files/extra...oon_Manual.zip is the link for the manual,allthough there is no manual

godmaker 02-09-2010 09:09 PM

the best game ever

same. i spend 100000000 hours when i was children and i learned the old cities on the world

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaberg (Post 53954)
This is absolutely one of the best games ever made. I have used countless hours on it. Great job guys :ok:

Wicky 31-05-2011 10:11 AM

I remember building passenger/mail stations very, very far apart from each other, because then you could get the maximum profit.
To calculate the ticket price of a passenger take the distance of 2 towns, and divide by the time the travel takes. Now think, a train must accellerate a long time until it goes at max speed, and likewise break at the destination. The average speed of the train is much higher than on a short track, and the income loss from accellerating/breaking is less.
Therefore you earn lots of cash when you transport passengers from distant cities such as Moscow to Barcelona non-stop.

Tom Smith 31-05-2011 07:28 PM

Laptop + NumLock

Anybody who still has problems with laying tracks on a laptop without extra keypad can try TSRUP available from www.vitsoft.info. This is a sample TSR program (available with source code) that regularly sets numlock on. Works for me on a Lenovo T410. Be careful, though, as numlock will _always_ be on when using this TSR. To avoid unwanted tracks I use the mouse to navigate around and use the numpad only when laying tracks.
-Tom

Dias 02-08-2011 01:48 PM

bug fun

another nice bug: you may play the game without own rails (almost). just build 1 piece of track whereever you want, otherwise the gamespeed will stay zero. when other opponent apppear, place the cursor on their track, build a signaltower first, second upgrade it to terminal or station. build a second station at the same piece of the opponets track. build a train then an run your service. the procedure can be repeated as often as you like. you may even exceed the station limit this way, but mysterious effects on passenger-city-belongings will appear. you may also use the siganl tower method to build stations very close to other stations of yourself or of the opponents.
p.s. - the 1 piece of track you may remove (but you can never again build track then)

Dias+ 04-08-2011 08:25 AM

you may also cross opponents stations without rate war if you shrink the shared station into a signaltower

mjdvgamerking 16-09-2011 01:08 PM

i downloaded this back in 2009 from here, i was not able to create any rail tracks other than the one we get at start as default, anybody else had that problem...:wall:

tristanzz 13-03-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjdvgamerking (Post 434004)
i downloaded this back in 2009 from here, i was not able to create any rail tracks other than the one we get at start as default, anybody else had that problem...:wall:

Shift + Numpad arrow keys, and make sure NumLock is OFF in order to make them function as actual arrow keys.

For my part, I'd kind of like some explanation and help with how to set up the signal towers. You could double-track everything, but it's expensive, and I'd really like to know how to do something the best way possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtboat (Post 343528)
you can also get it from www.replacementdocs.com

There's the manual for Railroad Tycoon Deluxe, yes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreeze_lu (Post 394595)
the manual link is stil wrong and links to the whole game, not including a manual:
http://www.abandonia.com/files/extra...oon_Manual.zip is the link for the manual,allthough there is no manual

In case it wasn't clear already, the manual is missing...

This good gentleman purported kindly to host the manual on his user page. But he is now banned. Clearly, the b&hammer swinger didn't play Railroad Tycoon :hihihi:

The Fifth Horseman 13-03-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanzz (Post 440504)
This good gentleman purported kindly to host the manual on his user page. But he is now banned. Clearly, the b&hammer swinger didn't play Railroad Tycoon :hihihi:

It wouldn't have changed anything. He used his administrative access powers to remove all other admins and then install some of his associates instead. That's not something one can do without consequences.

tristanzz 14-03-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 440507)
It wouldn't have changed anything. He used his administrative access powers to remove all other admins and then install some of his associates instead. That's not something one can do without consequences.

Ah, gotcha *^_^

Anyway, I rooted around in my basement for the manual but no luck. Kind of a shame about this, because this poor thread is 13 pages of people asking how to lay track, lol...

I came on here meaning to ask for strategies on tycoon, the hard difficulty. I can't seem to turn any profit on it, because I think each step up reduces your fares.

arete 14-03-2012 06:02 AM

http://www.freegameempire.com/games/...-Tycoon/manual

Available here. Can we link it in the review? Kthks. :)

Japo 14-03-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 440532)

Server doesn't respond, at the moment.

The Fifth Horseman 14-03-2012 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This attachement brought to you by Google Cache necromancy. :D

another_guest 03-04-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanzz (Post 440528)
... I came on here meaning to ask for strategies on tycoon, the hard difficulty. I can't seem to turn any profit on it, because I think each step up reduces your fares.

Not sure anymore since it's probably been more than a decade since I played this, but on the hardest difficulty levels I usually started in Europe, connecting the 2 biggest cities in the Belgium / Netherlands area (e.g. Antwerp, Brussels) and if the passenger and mail volume allowed it, have 2 trains run between those stations. I would then branch from the biggest town to another big one (e.g. further North in the Netherlands or South to France), this time only 1 train because 2 would drain the city that's shared between those routes. Provided I have the cash, I'd then buy a train to run the longest route between those 3 cities, on highest priority.

By all means avoid steep grades in the early stages because those trains can't cope with them. Similarly, try to go for a train that runs at high speeds with 2-3 carriages since speed is key to get a decent income and run a profit in the end.

tristanzz 30-04-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_guest (Post 441215)
Not sure anymore since it's probably been more than a decade since I played this, but on the hardest difficulty levels I usually started in Europe, connecting the 2 biggest cities in the Belgium / Netherlands area (e.g. Antwerp, Brussels) and if the passenger and mail volume allowed it, have 2 trains run between those stations. I would then branch from the biggest town to another big one (e.g. further North in the Netherlands or South to France), this time only 1 train because 2 would drain the city that's shared between those routes. Provided I have the cash, I'd then buy a train to run the longest route between those 3 cities, on highest priority.

By all means avoid steep grades in the early stages because those trains can't cope with them. Similarly, try to go for a train that runs at high speeds with 2-3 carriages since speed is key to get a decent income and run a profit in the end.

OK, I was trying Western US. I can see why you advise Europe. Bigger cities, faster trains, and much easier terrain. This doesn't much affect the level of competition, so much as the raw profitability. I was having a real problem with the West. It seems like freight routes in particular just can't pay for themselves, even when you run big east/west routes (fares are higher for east/west than north/south). So for the West, I put your 2 trains per route idea to work, and just stuck with mail and passengers. It seems that microing the first fiscal year of a route is important (give all trains on a route "proceed" orders at the stations, and double-track the exact square at which they would crash). This maximizes the speed of service during the crucial first years, when fares are doubled. The double fares also make the company stock price go way above what it should be. To take advantage of this, I took out a bunch of bonds and loaded up on stock before earnings got reported.

The mail and passengers thing is kind of unfortunate... I was looking forward to making more interesting freight routes but if the rather disappointing fares don't kill you, the fact that industries seem to shut down all the time will!

Japo 01-05-2012 08:55 PM

Yes, I also find it disappointing how unprofitable are freight routes. They're cool to find and set up, but you can always make more money carrying passengers and mail to any town.

Souricette 05-07-2015 10:41 AM

How to launch this game ?

I've unzipped the files downloaded, but my laptop says "Cette application ne peut pas s'exécuter sur votre PC" (wich means my PC can't run it).
How solve this complication ?

SD40-2 06-07-2015 07:16 PM

Not to be rude, but Railroad Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon Deluxe will not run natively on Windows systems.

You'll need a copy of DOSBox. Latest Version is fine.

I'm not sure if this is ok, but I used this Tutorial here, on the website.

Running on max cycles seems to be fine.

Note - When laying track, turn off num-lock. Turn it back on to scroll around the map.

Enjoy!

danielwood 22-07-2015 03:08 AM

freeze

I know this is an old thread but I had a hankering for playing this game again.

I just downloaded and loaded the game. Everything goes fine until I start a game. The game loads fine, I choose the map, difficulty, loads the map, etc., but when it gets to the page where the first newspaper is on the screen and I'm supposed to be able to start, the game freezes. I can't start playing, it just stays on the screen with the first newpaper. I even started the tutorial once and it worked fine.

Any tips?

arete 22-07-2015 05:09 PM

Which dosbox release are you using? And on what system?

danielwood 22-07-2015 05:50 PM

DosBox 0.74
Windows 7

Thanks

danielwood 24-07-2015 06:43 PM

Bump ^

marko river 25-07-2015 09:32 AM

Try asking in Troubleshooting. They are experts for this, and they probably didn't see your problem in this part of forum.

I'm not expert in this, but perhaps try checking sound settings or similar. Try turning off sound in the game, then at least you know if it is a sound problem.

danielwood 25-07-2015 01:03 PM

Thanks. I'll try there!

TheOldMan 16-02-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 115332)
Hi I play this game as well trying to zoom using F2, but it's nothing but green. What happen? Thanks

I have the original RRT Deluxe from 1993. I haven't touched it for a long long time so I thought I'd download the original version of RRT from here. It's similar but simpler. Now this problem was mentioned in this forum once briefly and got an unhelpful reply. The F2 bug. I'm using Dosbox 0.74 or 0.74-2 on a Win10 machine and an older Win7 machine. Once into the game you should be able to Zoom to Area Display using the F2 key. I get a blue-green blank map with only the small inset in the upper left showing the map. The other Zoom keys work the way they should. I tried every likely combination of graphics, sound and keyboard selections. I have the same F2 blank map with both versions of the game on both of my computers. I got an Amiga emulator and the Amiga version of RRT and had the exact same problem. Is this a bug or a feature?? So far as I know the rest of the game works OK but I didn't get too far into it. This F2 bug has me flummoxed. Can you play the game without the area view? I don't remember this being a problem on my old DOS/Win3.1 computer but that was over 25 years ago. Any help, comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Edit & addendum: Problem solved, it's not a bug. When all else fails read a book. Quoting from page 29 of the manual: The Area Display "is a schematic display of your railroad. It shows no geography." So, obviously, you're not going to see anything at the beginning of the game before you start building.

rjd707 09-08-2019 03:00 AM

My first post had to be for this game.

By far the best game ever made. I have spent a significant chunk of my life playing this game. Sid Meyer is by far the Chuck Norris of strategy/simulation games. I named my son Sid (not really but I would if my wife would let me)

This game is 30 years old and still delivers.

Great job bringing it back !

The current time is 09:55 PM (GMT)