Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   made a old dos system. (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=187)

Petter1979 02-05-2004 05:59 PM

made a old dos system.

Well i made a old computer to play old dos games. The specs on that computer is:

Pentium-S 133 Mhz
intel motherboard, wit pci/isa slots.
64mb EDO ram.
Trident 9680-1 pci graphic card.
floppy drive
old Toshiba cd-rom drive, probally 2x or 4x speed.
Conner 850mb harddrive.
Sound blaster awe64 value ISA soundcard.
newer logitech mouse.

Then i downloaded the soundcard drivers, and got the rest of the files from a win98se install, like mscdex.exe, command.com, and so on.
Found a old cdrom driver vide-cdd.sys on a old floppy drive disk i had. and a mouse driver too.

I made custom made config.sys autoexec.bat so that cdrom, soundcard, mouse all work fine.

Games that work fine now is:
Master of magic
Colonization
Master of orion
Dune 2
Warlords 2
Cavewars
Golden Axe
Blood & Magic

Games wit trouble: (describtion of whats wrong follows)
Syndicate (Sound is working, but game crashes when i click start first mission)

Syndicate wars (Sound is working, but there is graphical errors, cars is not rendered correctly, probally to old graphic card?)

Dynablaster ( atm cant get the sound to work, game is running ok)

Petter1979 02-05-2004 06:37 PM

update

update:
Cannon Fodder 2 is working fine too.

Games with trouble:
Cannon Fodder ( game seems to not be able to detect conventionel memory, says it need 398k to run, and reports that i have 0k free, but i have 592k free. Dont know a solution yet.

Titan 02-05-2004 10:28 PM

I know that last problem of yours... damn.. i think i did some playing around with reserving memory... *L* was 10 yrs since i owned my Compaq Presario DX2-66... sorry i couldn't be of more help.. but i had the same problem with the same game..

Guybrush 28-08-2004 09:21 AM

That's sounds similar to one I built a few years ago for playing old games.

Pentium-S 200 MHz
Chaintech 5SEM
32MB EDO RAM
Matrox 4MB PCI
PowerVR PCX2
Voodoo 2 8MB (SLi)
Seagate 1GB HDD
LG CD-ROM Drive
TEAC 5.25" Floppy
TEAC 3.5" Floppy
SoundBlaster 16

MS-DOS 6.21/Windows 3.11
Windows 95

Most of my games ran great on it. I used the PowerVR card solely for playing Tomb Raider as it kept locking up under 3dfx. The newest game I could get to run on it was Moto Racer, but just barely. Later on I ended up selling it to someone for their kids to do homework with. I put Windows NT on it for them and as far as I know they are still using it.

I'm not familiar with Syndicate Wars, but a lot of times it ends up being a problem with poor VESA support. Scitech display doctor has been released as freeware now, and it's good for diagnosing problems such as that.

FreeFreddy 28-08-2004 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Petter1979@May 2 2004, 07:59 PM
Games wit trouble: (describtion of whats wrong follows)
Syndicate (Sound is working, but game crashes when i click start first mission)

Syndicate wars (Sound is working, but there is graphical errors, cars is not rendered correctly, probally to old graphic card?)

Dynablaster ( atm cant get the sound to work, game is running ok)

For Syndicate and Syndicate Wars I would say, your graphics card is not good, you would be better off installing an Cirrus Logic one - it's most compatible one with all games.
For Dynablaster, set sound & music to Adlib only - the sounds should work then, Soundblaster won't work with this game (at least it didn't, when I played the game on my old PC with Soundblaster 16).
;)

Unknown Hero 28-08-2004 04:48 PM

I have 386. I will get it to work. And play all those old games. As much as I want. :)

Kosta 28-08-2004 05:37 PM

386? That might be a bit tight for some games here, but a good deal of them should work....

FreeFreddy 28-08-2004 05:38 PM

Ultima 8, for example, needs 486DX 50MHZ to run playable fast. ;) Better results with 486DX2 66Mhz or better...

Petter1979 28-08-2004 11:56 PM

hehe yeah, the graphic card might be too old for syndicate wars, but now i got hold on 3 old pci graphic cards :)

I gave about $10

for
Tseng 4mb
Cirrius logic 2mb
Trident 1mb

so im gonna try them the next few days, if the urge comes over me, and i need to play syndicate wars. ;)

Unknown Hero 29-08-2004 02:33 AM

I didn't connect it to eletricity for more than 6 or 7 years. I guess it should still work.

FreeFreddy 29-08-2004 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Aug 29 2004, 04:33 AM
I didn't connect it to eletricity for more than 6 or 7 years. I guess it should still work.
It won't work if you kept it in your cellar - rust. :P

unclefester 29-08-2004 01:33 PM

My father had an '89 computer but he must have upgraded because it could smoothly ran Win 95. Unfortunately I can't remember the specs

Guybrush 29-08-2004 06:25 PM

That was the 486 era so that's probably what it was. Windows 95 will run fine on them if there's enough memory.

unclefester 29-08-2004 08:19 PM

I remember my first game Pacman and my second Tetris there.

Kon-Tiki 26-09-2004 09:03 PM

For some reason, I can't get my HD get recognized on my comp. Boots fine with a boot disk, but is unable to reach C:\ I formatted it using Dos's Format and it now has a FAT filesystem. System itself's P1, 100MHz, some RAM (dunno how much exactly, just filled up the slots and got it to work), 600MB HD, cd-rom drive (which doesn't seem to want to boot either, or skip it when it's got nothing to boot from) and diskette drive. BIOS recognizes the HD, but booting doesn't. Tried the Abandonia bootdisk and one I made myself, but neither work. Anybody know what could be the problem?

Unknown Hero 26-09-2004 09:19 PM

Did you mean that you can't install windows on your HD? If that's a problem then try this: after writeing "format c:" write " /s" so that should look like this
C:\>format c: /s

Kon-Tiki 26-09-2004 11:20 PM

Did that. HD gets recognized now though. Was a jumper problem. Now both diskdrive and HD work fine, but can't get the cd-rom drive to work yet. Says something 'bout not being ATAPI compatible. Also ought to get it from Qwerty to Azerty, but it's been years since I've done that and I'm afraid I lost that little touch.

Guybrush 30-09-2004 06:12 AM

When CD-ROM drives first began to appear there were some proprietary models that had to be plugged into a special controller card. Panasonic, Mitsumi and Sony are the only ones I am aware of. If you happen to have one of these you could get a card on eBay to connect it to. Personally I would just install a modern CD-ROM drive; they are dirt cheap and that way you won't have any trouble reading CD-R media. :)

Kon-Tiki 30-09-2004 04:12 PM

Creative Labs here :P

Guybrush 30-09-2004 08:00 PM

Oh yeah, Creative Labs also made a proprietary CD-ROM. I think it plugged into one of their early SoundBlaster cards. However it's probably more likely that the controller on your motherboard does not support ATAPI drives or there is actually something wrong with the drive itself. Also could be the drivers you are using; what are you booting up with? Try a Windows startup disk if you haven't already.

Kon-Tiki 30-09-2004 08:04 PM

I've been trying MSCDex, just like I did when I was a kid and it worked...

Guybrush 30-09-2004 09:37 PM

MSCDEX is not the driver, it's just the interface between the driver and the hardware. Stands for Microsoft CD Extensions. The driver would be a file named oakcdrom.sys, vide-cdd.sys, atapi.sys, or similar and is loaded by the config.sys file. I have found oakcdrom.sys will work with most all IDE CD-ROM drives. If you are using some other driver you might want to give it a try. You probably know this already but here is an example of how it should be set up:

In Config.sys:

Device=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM1

In Autoexec.bat:

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDROM1

Kon-Tiki 30-09-2004 09:56 PM

Alrighty, I'll give it a try :) After that, fixing the random freezing and my comp's ready for usage.

Kon-Tiki 30-09-2004 10:10 PM

That works. Well, thing needs three more things...
1) It freezes when it's on for too long, but dunno why yet.
2) The keyboard ought to be changed to azerty, using keyb.exe and keyboard.sys
3) The soundblasters ought to be set to work.

Guybrush 01-10-2004 05:06 AM

Quote:

1) It freezes when it's on for too long, but dunno why yet.
Possibly the CPU is getting too hot. Make sure everything has adequate cooling.

Quote:

3) The soundblasters ought to be set to work.
This page should be helpful:

http://www.geocities.com/politalk/sound/creative.htm

Kon-Tiki 01-10-2004 10:27 AM

Actually, the cooling could very well be it. It's a P1, which means it doesn't need superduper cooling, but it is obvious that someone broke out the heatsink, as some cooling paste's still on top of the CPU. I'll try putting an old fan above it, see if it helps.

Red Diablo 01-10-2004 10:47 AM

I had a problem with my graphics card overheating after gaming for a while.
So I put a stationary fan, which we had in the living room during summers, to blow air straight into the box.
This was good as it wouldn't strain my 300W power supply, as connecting a PC-fan might.

Anyways the cooling worked, thus I installed 2 new fans, a 400W power supply and it's been working ever since. :ok:

Guybrush 01-10-2004 05:34 PM

A Pentium with no heat sink? Yikes! I think you will definately need to install a heat sink on there; a fan alone probably isn't enough. A heat sink alone possibly, if the case has good cooling. I would get a good heat sink and fan though.

Kon-Tiki 01-10-2004 07:18 PM

Added a 92x92 old fan to take air away from it above it. Attached it with some rope, as there was no place for screws :ph34r: Seeing if it prevents the crashing now...

Edit: Well... it's been going on for an hour or so now and hasn't frozen yet. I guess that's fixed, although I seem to need to install mouse.com too. Try playing Island of Dr. Brain or Ascendancy without a mouse :blink:

Guybrush 02-10-2004 01:21 AM

http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/ :ok:

Kon-Tiki 02-10-2004 01:37 AM

Mouse works fine. Got to get keyb to work and the soundblaster (which keeps giving this as an error: "PCI device detection failed") Changed the soundcard from an old ISA card to an old PCI one, but it still doesn't work. Guess I'll need to download the drivers for it.

radiv 09-10-2004 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Aug 28 2004, 05:38 PM
Ultima 8, for example, needs 486DX 50MHZ to run playable fast. ;) Better results with 486DX2 66Mhz or better...
486DX 66mhz :ok:
I have one of them :)
Too bad they're not able to run all the Win95/DOS games. You'll need a pentium for them. But all the classics are running better than best :D

Grinder 28-02-2005 08:50 PM

I have a Pentium 1 166Mhz running DOS 6.2. I am using your bootdisk
and have copied the mouse driver into the own systems autoexec.bat.
What do I need to run Ultima 7 and 8 properly? any restrictions on graphic card etc.?

The Fifth Horseman 01-03-2005 09:33 AM

Today, I'm installing sysop on a 486DX2/80 we had laying around in pieces. Well, it works. 16 MB Ram, 1 MB graphics card, some soundcard (hope it works). HDD is a pain, as even tho its 4 GB, it has been through some serious abuse with plenty of badsectors.

madcrow 02-03-2005 05:46 PM

at the moment i've "hijacked" an old p2-300 and turned it into a dos box. it's a little fast on some games, but it works great.
- 128 MB RAM
- BusLogic FlashPoint SCSI PCI driving 2 old 4GB HDDs that were lying around and a cd-rom drive.
- DR-DOS 7, the ultimate DOS (real multitasking, pretty nice tools, tcp/ip stack, netware 4 compatable server, gr8 for old network games if i were to ever host an old-skool lan party and best of all, FREE)
- Matrox g200 video board, nice as it has real hardware vesa 2 on-board...

Grinder 06-03-2005 03:34 PM

DR-DOS is free? :Brain:
Where do you get it?

Koen 06-03-2005 03:41 PM

I still got a 8 mhz pc, XT, 640 kB ram. I don't need all those extra's... :ok:

Grinder 03-04-2005 02:28 PM

LOL koen i also have one of these. Tandon 286 SL II. Doesn't run anymore. Del *.* on C:\ and now the floppy drive doesn't work and i can't reinstall dos. bummer.
Was my first own PC, i got it when i was 6 or 7 and my dad bought a brand new win 95 pc. it had a hga graphics card (at least my dad said so) and a monochrome monitor. I could only play nibbles. i had no other b/w games.

Koen 03-04-2005 02:35 PM

Using a cga emulator, you could play 4 color games on such a pc! LOL

Grinder 03-04-2005 02:45 PM

no kidding? too bad the old thing's not working. :cry:
is there a difference between Herkules and HGA?

The current time is 07:41 AM (GMT)