Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Where does your screen id come from? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18076)

arete 17-10-2008 07:55 AM

Where does your screen id come from?

There are some mind-bogglingly obscure screen names and aviators (sic) out there... Where does yours come from? And when did you first start using it?

Anyone who uses their own name will be severely punished for pointing that out :p

Data 17-10-2008 08:21 AM

From startrek. When I decided to join I saw that there was a Picard here. I chose another one from his crew.
I started using it when I joined here.

Kugerfang 17-10-2008 10:16 AM

From Counter-Strike's POD-Bot.

Tervez 17-10-2008 10:48 AM

When I first came to the Internet, I was supposed to use Darth Vader as a nick in a forum (Tilt.fi in case you were interested), but it was already taken. I thought I could just change it later to something else, so I just took the word 'Terve', meaning 'Hello' in finnish, and added a z to the end. It kind of stuck after that, and I saw no need to change it.

Playbahnosh 17-10-2008 12:01 PM

Mine has a loooong story behind it, but I'm to lazy to type it all in now. In a nutshell:

"Playbahnosh" is the anglicized version of the Hungarian word "plébános" which means parson or priest. If you pronounce it the right way, you pronounce parson in Hungarian, it's the same. My nick was born back in secondary school, I kinda liked it so I stuck to it ever since.

TheChosen 17-10-2008 12:17 PM

From 2001 to 2004, I suffered severe addiction to Fallout 2, where heroes nickname was "The Chosen One".

Took it, changed it and I've been using it ever since.

EDIt: Of course, I am rumored to be one who shall safe us from the apocalypse someday, so no wonder.

Icewolf 17-10-2008 12:19 PM

I put together my Name and the thought of a polar Wolf plus the attitude to be rather relax , so cool -> ice.
I used it ever since I am on the I-net.

arete 17-10-2008 12:29 PM

'arete' is the Greek word for virtue... ( ἀρετή )

"The act of living up to one's full potential".

See? That's what you get when they force you to take Philosophy 1 as a degree credit ^_^

Lulu_Jane 17-10-2008 12:38 PM

Thousands of years ago, back during the dawn of man, something happened - the stars hid from sight, and man ran from the tundra which had been his home into caves. A dark age began. they spent generations in the caves, dark and scared, until one day, the planets aligned and the stars returned. The planets moved closer to one another night after night. Man watched from the mouth of the caves in awe.

Finally the planets collided and bright illumination spread across the earth. Man was blinded by the light.

When the eyes of man had cleared they peered into the sky and saw, "Lulu_Jane," spelled out across the night sky.

That's how I got my user name.

Quintopotere 17-10-2008 02:51 PM

Quinto-potere is the italian translation of Fifth-estate (or Fifth-power).
That nickname comes from a long story, so I left you to imagine what power it is...

The current time is 05:04 PM (GMT)