Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Garbled Colors In Fullscreen Games (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=10087)

Don Andy 28-04-2006 07:31 PM

That's a error I have for quite some time and I wasn't able to resolve it yet.

With a lot of old Windows games and with DOSBox, everytime I switch to Fullscreen I get garbled colors. I think it may be something with DirectDraw, as I don't have this problem with 3D-games or modern 2D-games.

The games I had this problem with recently were DOSBox in general, UFO - Enemy Unknown, Netstorm and Age of Empires 2 (although only a bit of the ground was garbled there).

It's not always the whole game that has garbled colors, but mostly certain colors that aren't shown right, while others are shown quite well.

One friend of mine has a similar problem, while my brother who has quite a similar computer doesn't have this problem.
On my Laptop, that is a bit older (but not that outdated) I also have no problems.

I have the newest version of DirectX and a ATI Radeon X850 XT with newest Catalyst drivers.

My friend has some pretty new Nvidia graphic card, too with newest drivers and DirectX.

And my brother has a ATI Radeon X800 as far as I know.

My Laptop has a simple ATI Radeon Mobility chip.

I'm really baffled about this.

Data 28-04-2006 07:36 PM

clear all applications from the taskbar.
A background application is changing the colours. (DOSBox doesn't check the palete for speed reasons).

Don Andy 28-04-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Data@Apr 28 2006, 08:36 PM
clear all applications from the taskbar.
A background application is changing the colours. (DOSBox doesn't check the palete for speed reasons).

Thanks for the quick answer (wasn't expecting an answer at all ^_^ ).

I'll check that, I generally have a lot of programs running in the background.

win98 28-04-2006 08:08 PM

YeahI have noticed games are funny in dos box with heaps in the background.

Don Andy 28-04-2006 08:21 PM

Well, damn, didn't work. I closed every single program in the background, through taskbar and Taskmanager, but I still get garbled colors :/

win98 29-04-2006 04:07 AM

Graphics card or your monitor could have problems.

The Fifth Horseman 04-05-2006 10:23 AM

Try updating your graphics drivers.

Don Andy 04-05-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Don Andy@Apr 28 2006, 08:31 PM
I have the newest version of DirectX and a ATI Radeon X850 XT with newest Catalyst drivers.
Updating/Replacing my drivers was basically the first thing I did, I'm not that stupid :P

Also, my brother, using the same drivers and DirectX (although a different card) doesn't have this problem.

Anyway, I'll go fetch a 250GB drive today and will make backups and then give this comp a nice reformating. About time he got something like this anyway.

The current time is 03:55 PM (GMT)