Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Worst / most dissapointing games ever? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=611)

Maikel 14-08-2004 11:42 AM

Worst / most dissapointing games ever?

Ok not entirely fitting in the favourite oldies ection. but it fits nicely next to the ''best games ever'' thread.

So tell me..which games did you hate the most??

for me:
Manhunt (let's make a game's concept so ''sick'' people will buy it for the controversy, not knowing the game as a whole is one big letdown)

I can't think of others at the moment

Stroggy 14-08-2004 12:34 PM

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness.
Enter the Matrix

The Niles 14-08-2004 01:51 PM

Destiny A civilization clone that did everything wrong. This game has no redeaming features.

wendymaree 14-08-2004 02:03 PM

A pretty ordinary game I once played was aptly called The Last Resort. Only played it for ten minutes then put it back into its box where it stayed ever since. It just seemed pointless and boring. Perhaps if I gave it more of a chance it might have improved as it featured the voices of Cher, Christopher Reeve, James Belushi and Joe Perry (of Aerosmith) and was produced by Rober De Niro. Impressed by my memory? ;-)

Btw, could be abandonware now. :)

The worst game I've heard of but never actually played was Carmagedon. Points for running people over....? Tonz of fun.

FreeFreddy 14-08-2004 03:29 PM

Well, I guess, for me it's Betrayal at Antara. I bought it in hope of continued story that's as good as the one in Betrayal at Krondor and same fun, but what I got then had, aside from the control interface, nothing to do with the first part. After I saw that (pardon) stupid face of that boy that we resqued from the gargoyle in the beginning, I put this game away and sworn to never play it again... It's my biggest disappointment so far.

mika 14-08-2004 04:21 PM

Quote:

The worst game I've heard of but never actually played was * Carmagedon. *Points for running people over....? *Tonz of fun.
Funny enough, the game was quite enjoyable, and it still to this day has the best car physics engine that I've played. 90% of the games out there are about killing people in one way or another so why not drive over them :twisted: . Seriously though, the game was fun.

My worst game, well I don't really have a worst one, but the game that comes to mind is Deus Ex 2. I didn't like it much, and was really dissapointed where it took the series.

Tom Henrik 14-08-2004 06:05 PM

There exist's bad games? :shock:

Hmm... *thinks hard*

Sorry... I can't think of a single game that I have not completed after getting it :?

Maybe it's just me... I simply love games.
Manhunt is on my shelf, and I have indeed played it through. The game is freaky and scary, and I play it when I want to be frightened.
Carmageddon was also great fun, as Mika said the driving in this game is excellent!
Enter the Matrix a nice, good and clean game that features an, till now, unique way of gameplay. The game is meant as a link between you and the movie. It also features an fun hacking program.

As for the others.. I haven't played them, but if I did I would probably like them as well.

Sorry for not being able to hate a game :roll:

Stroggy 14-08-2004 09:09 PM

clean game?
it was full of bugs!
you'd fall through walls
the effects at some points were just soo ugly they would have better just deleted it.
Most scenes didn't have that many objects in them... just clean hallways and stuff like that.
like in the sewers... that was just a huge textured cube with ladders and walkways in it.
and you didn't even have time often to protect the people you ahd to protect... thats not clean!

Tom Henrik 14-08-2004 09:27 PM

I never had those problems. But then again... I played that one on PS2.

Kiddiarni 14-08-2004 10:43 PM

Enter the matrix is fun...:D

I loooooooove the level in the Post office, the ending...one place where there are infinite coppers..Running around bullettiming everyone to Death...Sooooooo Cool 8)

I played it on PS2...

Stroggy 14-08-2004 11:00 PM

well they did patch it up for ps2
But on PC it was a nightmare

wendymaree 15-08-2004 03:56 AM

Interesting comments :) Hope I'm never a pedestrian in Trondheim or Mika's town in South Africa ;-)

Tom Henrik 15-08-2004 06:19 AM

Don't worry.
I don't have a driving license :wink:

mika 15-08-2004 09:46 AM

But I do! All pedestrians bewaaaarrrreeeee!!! :shock:

Maikel 15-08-2004 11:48 AM

:ot:

FreeFreddy 15-08-2004 12:02 PM

And far off indeed...
Anyway, I wanted to add that Dungeon Keeper 2 is also disappointing, if you played Dungeon Keeper 1 + Addons long enough to know all aspects of it. At least for me.

Petter1979 15-08-2004 12:40 PM

bad game

I bought "Master of Orion 3" "hides in shame" Damn awful sequel to the good MOO 1 and MOO 2 battle at antares.

Durak 15-08-2004 03:36 PM

Oh, guess I shouldn't play it then. Thought I was being smart by trying 3...

xndr2181 15-08-2004 06:23 PM

The first game that comes to mind is Suikoden 3 for the PS2. Suikoden 1 and 2 are simply my all time favoritest games, period. They where just sooo much fun to play, not to mention an insanly intense, fun, and emotional storyline. Then I hear suikoden 3 is coming out, I get soooo excited, I sit down to play it after finally getting my hands on it, and I nearly cried that konami had simply destroyed the series in one single swipe. Why so bad you might ask? Lets see, new fighting engine, new 3d graphics, battles that were damn near impossible to beat. UGH!! just thinking about it pisses me off...I mean the story was sooo cool and I wish they just had kept it the way it was...Like the old saying goes, if it isn't broken, don't fix it...anyway, guess I'm done with my rant now, if any other games come to mind I'll post them...
-Sean

Stroggy 15-08-2004 06:58 PM

I fear the next worst game to be released in my opinion will be Knights of the Old Republic 2.
Its possible that it'll be good... but the time they spent making it was quite short (they even announced they'll release it earlier than planned... not exactly a good sign) and the graphics (while they did say they'll update the original engine) look exactly the same.
Sith appear to be wearing the same armor, quite a few faces look like they were simply exported from the previous game (perhaps touched up a bit)
Frankly I'm getting the impression this 'sequel' will be actually an expansion (few new faces, new locations, a couple of new armours and lightsabrecolours and some new moves)
But I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that I and most fans are terribly terribly wrong

Durak 15-08-2004 07:32 PM

I heard a bit about Knights of the Old Republic but not much, is it good enough for me to spend time trying it out now?

Stroggy 15-08-2004 08:02 PM

some love it, some hate it.
I liked it.
Its an rpg.
there isn't much freedom... but personally I think most characters are quite deep and interesting to talk to.
there are a lot of quests and a lot of ways to complete them.
The storyline is very cinematic.
The graphics are nice and the locations are varried.
You can play as light or dark (your character moves to the dark side as he makes dark side decisions and his face changes to match his alignment. But other than that the difference isn't that noticable)
Personally I'd say give it a try, but not everybody likes it (a lot of people do like it, but some don't)

xndr2181 15-08-2004 09:25 PM

Durak you a fan of Baldurs gate, icewind dale, or torment? Cause I am, and I loved Knights of the Old Republic. I agree though, you're kinda set on a track and you need to follow it, but there are plenty of side quests, as well as in depth characters. I reccomend this game to anyone that's into RPG's especially if you're into Star Wars movies, cause it definatly has that feeling.
-Sean

Stroggy 15-08-2004 09:47 PM

well you don't have to be a star wars fan
its quite easy to forget the entire star wars backdrop.

Omuletzu 16-08-2004 06:12 PM

Biggest disappointment : MOO 3
Heroes 4
Quake 2

The Niles 16-08-2004 06:27 PM

I thought heroes 4 was the best of the series. I am not a big fan of 1-3 but I liked 4.

Omuletzu 16-08-2004 06:30 PM

It was a big disappointment to many fans... it is also seen by the media as a failure... they just took after disciples, and thus lost some originality

FreeFreddy 16-08-2004 07:03 PM

The best of them, I think are Heroes of Might & Magic 2 and Heroes of Might & Magic 3. Especially the third part, like I heard, was great. I wish I could be able to try it out...

Kiddiarni 16-08-2004 08:10 PM

War of the Ring... Too short and the heroes were messed up...

one thing though...why don't we have Commander Keen on the site...I loved it when i was...well, 4 , but..hey mayber there are 4 year olds out there somewhere looking for commander Keen:D

Durak 16-08-2004 09:30 PM

Commander Keen was awesome.

Tom Henrik 16-08-2004 09:47 PM

Funny how this topic has gone from being a place to talk about the WORST games... to be a topic where you discuss which games are great!

Get a grip men. This is :ot:

Kiddiarni 16-08-2004 11:06 PM

What you just said is :ot:

and yeah...another very bad game is...Snak...in Nokia Cellphones...I hate it

rallier 18-08-2004 01:31 PM

i've seen C&C generals.........i just hated it!!!!!!!! i played red alert 2 that was great
also Turok we played it with a friend for 5 days straight! never ended it......there is one point where everything looks the same we were just going on and on and on killed everything living until we ended up alone in a huuuuuugggggggeeeeeeee level.....never found a solution.....nor walkthroughs would help us....so frustrating >:|
Max Payne was great......Max Payne 2 a bitter disappointment
Black & white......at first it seems interresting but after a few hours really gets boring, heck u even become the one and only god, but the game keeps on......so i flamed them all and called it quits! oh and there's one guy that whatever you do doesn't die (he sais he doesn't believe in gods......so he is actually immortal......i guess he was the only survivor from my fury

Decalies 18-08-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

and yeah...another very bad game is...Snak...in Nokia Cellphones...I hate it
Snake? That's typically a great game to play while you should really work :) Okay, maybe not on a cell phone, but just as a nice Basic-game :D A played it a lot when it was an example progam for Quickbasic (MS Dos 5?!). It's was nibbles.bas or so.

Stroggy 18-08-2004 01:44 PM

Both Red Alert 2 and Generals were monumental disappointments since they destroyed everything the name C&C stood for. It wasn't even created by those that made the original C&C games. The original westwood members have regrouped and formed a new company. They are basically trying to rebuild westwood. they even hired Frank Klepacki who made the music for all c&c games... except for generals.
http://www.petroglyphgames.com/ thats their website. they even state that the new building is "just a block over from the old Westwood building"
If you look at the "about us" page you'll notice that most have worked on some c&c game or another. some worked on Dune II, legend of Kyrandia and Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2.
Pity they won't be able to continue the original C&C story... since I believe C&C is now in the hands of evil "hurry it up" EA.

Ask any real C&C fan, they'll say red alert 2 is the cartoonversion of the soemtimes rather gruesome original red alert, and generals is a totally different game completely.
In fact I'm happy EAP (the guys that created red alert 2 and generals... or whatever they're called now) have stopped creating new C&C-mishaps... now they're working on that middle earth strategy game. Tolkien-fans cringed in sorrow as EAP announced you'll be able to destrroy Minas Tirith as Mordor. So now that they finished destroying the good name of C&C, they'll muck up Tolkien's name.
I hope they never even think about touching poor C&C again.

hah, got that off my chest.

Omuletzu 18-08-2004 01:48 PM

Quest for glory 5
Tiberian Sun
Heretic 2
Counter-Strike : Condition Zero

Omuletzu 18-08-2004 01:50 PM

Quote:

Both Red Alert 2 and Generals were monumental disappointments since they destroyed everything the name C&C stood for. *

Actually to me, Red Alert 2 is the best game in the series...
Generals is not that good but still fun to play.

Stroggy 18-08-2004 01:57 PM

the casual player usually likes red alert 2
but to the real fans (who have been waiting for the c&c plot to unravel for some time) were stunned when they got a "witty" game with even more terrible acting than any c&c game before.
The plotline of all other c&c games was not continued or explained.
You just got a bald soviet with psychic powers.

FreeFreddy 18-08-2004 02:52 PM

It was like most of the newer games coming out - stupid story, boring gameplay and made for money. :roll:

Omuletzu 18-08-2004 07:35 PM

Okay don't overdue it, you know RA 2 has excellent gameplay... i mean that is why it sold so much.The storyline may suck but the gameplay is verry good

Stroggy 18-08-2004 07:47 PM

the gameplay was good, but it was always the same.
Only had a few (easy) sneak levels with tanya or the spy.

In RA1 there was one level where you get three dogs and you had to stop a spy from delivering info to the russians.
You couldn't follow him since there was a machinegun which would mince your dogs apart.
so you give and kill 2 enemy soldiers in the area and a few allied soldiers get airlifted over.
with not too many casualties you can destroy the machinegun and move on.
It would lead you on a chase all over the map with puzzle-like obstacles.
I ened up with 7 soldiers, all of them died except for one.
who went on to kill two anti-tank soldiers, and eventually (in the last few seconds) the spy.

quite thrilling and imginative.

Red Alert 2 was, most of the time, just basebuilding.
It was fun, but became boring after some time.
The reason to continue was also gone.
In the previous C&C games you played just to know how the story would unfold, just to see the next movie.
In RA2 you knew you'd see some dumb movie

Omuletzu 18-08-2004 08:00 PM

Anyway i'm now playing another westwood game Dune 2000.
The strange thing is i never played it before.I am a westwood fan so the only reason i'm playing it this late is because it was not available here.It's quite surprising, because the graphics are nice, and the gameplay is good(only played the first two levels though).I only wonder why wasn't this game given the appropriate attention?

Stroggy 18-08-2004 08:16 PM

I've never played dune 2000 either
I've played Dune 1, dune 2 and Emperor Battle for Dune (all were created by westwood in some way, except for the first one)

I think the reason it was left out of the spotlight was because, at the time, the entire basebuilding genre had reached a peak.
You had warcraft 2's, starcraft, and all those other games either being released or announced.
Dune 2000 was basically just the same genre updated with some better graphics.
Nice, but not groundbreaking.

For example, I have no idea how many games are out now or coming up with the theme 'vietnam' its all just one blurry mess of look-alikes.
Only the very best stand out.

The same happened a few years ago and is now losing momentum with WW2 games.
Medal of Honor and Call of Duty stood out as the leaders (call of duty was launched when the entire genre was losing momentum)
but there were also tons of other games about WW2.

A few years ago there were a ton of FPS games being released.
all with the same graphics and little to no storyline.
It was like a computer generated all of them and gave some different textures.
Only the very best ing raphics or idea stood out.

Dune 2000 looks good now, but perhaps in those days it was just one game among many other look-alikes.

i'm not 100% sure of that but I think thats a possible reason

Omuletzu 18-08-2004 08:20 PM

Yes you are right.But you should try the game it's pretty good...
btw dune 1 wasn't made by westwood??

Stroggy 18-08-2004 08:24 PM

Dune (the original) is here on the site
http://www.abandonia.com/game_display.php?ID=46
under adventuregames.
its a kind of adventuregame showing some strategy aspects.
Dune 2 (which is also here in the strategy section) was one of the (if not THE) first real strategygame (as in basebuilding and such) and was made by Westwood.

I'd give Dune2000 a try, but I have no idea where to get it.
I've searched in quite a few stores.

Omuletzu 18-08-2004 08:30 PM

I think you misunderstood me.I played Dune 1, but as i remember it, it was made by westwood, and you said it wasn't...
Quote:

I've played Dune 1, dune 2 and Emperor Battle for Dune (all were created by westwood in some way, except for the first one)

Stroggy 18-08-2004 08:37 PM

It wasn't created by westwood
according to the site it was created by Virgin.

Dune II was made by westwood but released by Virgin.

xndr2181 18-08-2004 10:56 PM

I also felt that Metal Gear Solid 2 was a maaaaasive disappointment. First the fact that you couldn't play as solid snake pretty much ruined this game, I also felt the game's plot was a little overly complicated, it was really hard to follow...Overall, this game was really upsetting.
-Sean

Kiddiarni 18-08-2004 11:11 PM

I hav enever liked MGS...don't like 'em... But i think 007:Nightfire was'nt really good...

xndr2181 19-08-2004 02:39 AM

I don't know about that. Following up agent under fire, I think it was a vast improvement...
-Sean

rallier 19-08-2004 06:34 AM

i just played Nightfire for a few minutes.....i was really disapointed by it...... it looks as if it was 10 years old i cannot compare it to other modern hits...like hitman 2 & 3 thief 3, jedi academy and outcast......the game is very poor....

Stroggy 19-08-2004 07:53 AM

I quite liked Everything or Nothing.
But most other new james bond games were terrible

Durak 19-08-2004 01:13 PM

If Dune 2k is abandonware I can upload it.

Stroggy 19-08-2004 03:40 PM

that would be great, but I wouldn't have the first clue where to find it.
And with all the movies its quite big.

xndr2181 19-08-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

i just played Nightfire for a few minutes.....i was really disapointed by it...... it looks as if it was 10 years old i cannot compare it to other modern hits...like hitman 2 & 3 thief 3, jedi academy and outcast......the game is very poor....
I don't know, I really liked the game. Especially for first person shooter. All those other games you mentioned are 3rd person combat, and of course most of them will blow that game out of the water. Anyone play splinter cell? That game rocked! Also, I want to know how Red Dead Revolver is, cause that game looks tight!
-Sean

Stroggy 19-08-2004 04:29 PM

Red Dead Revolver was okay, but i'm glad I just rented it and didn't buy it.

xndr2181 19-08-2004 09:16 PM

Really? What didn't you like about it? I'm a big western fan and I'd love to get my hands on it!!
-Sean

Stroggy 19-08-2004 09:36 PM

Its an okay game and has some very nice parts.
But I couldn't quite figure the game out.
One moment its a western with odd characters... the next moment its some kind of fantasy western.
really odd.

xndr2181 19-08-2004 09:40 PM

hmm...but if I'm really into westerns, you think I might enjoy it?
-Sean

Kiddiarni 19-08-2004 09:52 PM

I like the Red Dead Revolver Theme song :P

Stroggy 19-08-2004 09:53 PM

perhaps
I don't know
I didn't get all that far in it.

rallier 20-08-2004 05:11 PM

I played splinter cell , and half of the pandora tommorow....... It's a nice game at first glance :)
I preferred spilinter cell than pandora tommorow although there isn't much difference on the gameplay (except that the first was running much smoother than pandora tommorrow)....
however it is very linear and very strict to that! u can't follow any strategy on your own but just passing by, the next free space... i mean u save and reload whenever there is a slight possibility of loosing (otherwise u start all over again)
it's a fun game to play for a while.......after some time u get tired and bored of it.
I found splinter cell better than the sequel though.

xndr2181 20-08-2004 06:40 PM

yea, I really liked splinter cell a lot. Anywho, we should get back on topic, cause we are waaaay :ot:
-Sean

FreeFreddy 21-08-2004 10:34 AM

Not that far at all, you're still talking about games, so it's half right here :wink:

Unknown Hero 21-08-2004 09:40 PM

The last game that dissapointed me was Medal of honor: Allied Assault. That is the worst single player game ever!!!

Call Of Duty is 100 times better.

Durak 21-08-2004 09:45 PM

Call of Duty was a good game.

xndr2181 21-08-2004 10:31 PM

How about Final Fantasy X-2 wow, bad bad bad bad bad!
-Sean

Canno 22-08-2004 04:11 AM

welll for me the games that I find the least good at least in my opinion are....
ADVENTURE GAMES! :twisted:

they just arnt the type of games that i find good and interesting and for me are usally long sometimes hard to play or its hard to know what to do and well........ I just perfer others like stratagy and tactics type games so no adventure games are that likeable..... :wink:

P.S. The only adventure game that i thought was really any good was Riven(Myst 2)

xndr2181 22-08-2004 05:01 AM

Wow, I can't breath...*Gasps for air* Adventure games rock, but I guess to each his own, :D
-Sean

Chef Boyardee 22-08-2004 05:06 AM

I'm not one for newer games, but a lot of my friends were playing Final Fantasy XI and wanted me to play. It looked okay at best, not really that good, but I decided to give a shot. Don't let the graphics deceive you, this is an AWFUL game, I expected it to be decent but it's seriously just plain awful. I can't believe that so many people play it. They're wasting their money.

Unknown Hero 22-08-2004 08:09 AM

Hey canno. Don't speak against adventure games in front of us or else *showing his knife*...
Adventure games are good becouse you have to use your brain (if you have one), to solve puzzles. It's not like GTA 3 where your mission iz kill 'em all!

FreeFreddy 22-08-2004 08:17 AM

Although I'm more into RPG's and Fantasy, I started my PC-games experience with adventures and still play the old adventures I posses now. :wink:

rallier 22-08-2004 10:45 AM

hehehehe try knights of the old republic...........this game rulezzzzzz
at first is a bit frustrating and disappointing.....but then it really gets in it!
i mean it!!!!!! it's an incredibly good game!

Canno 22-08-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Hey canno. Don't speak against adventure games in front of us or else *showing his knife*...
:shock: Its ok unknown you can put the knife I'm not here to blowup the world of adventure games!! :D An like I said I prefer the more tactical stratagey type of use your brian type of games :wink: and well.... some advent games are ok I guess..... :roll:

Quote:

Adventure games rock, but I guess to each his own, :D *
-Sean

I quite agree I have nothing agaienst the poeple who like adventure games just the games themselves :wink:

Unknown Hero 22-08-2004 01:45 PM

Ok, ok, "we" forgive you *puts away knife*.

Durak 22-08-2004 03:16 PM

It's alright Canno, we can leave them and their adventure games alone...for now.

xndr2181 22-08-2004 04:43 PM

Hey Durak, I know you're ways! :wink: There will be no plotting under my watch since I am a moderator mwahahahaha! Anyway, everyone including myself, where yet again, :ot:
-Sean

Durak 22-08-2004 06:56 PM

We are not off topic. The topic is worst games ever, and we said adventure games. Take that moderator! Batman strikes again!

Kiddiarni 22-08-2004 07:18 PM

I wanna be robin...

:P

Wort game ever, eh? GTA:London...lame game...

Durak 22-08-2004 08:06 PM

It seems everyone wants to be Robin...I've already got three candidates.

*now this is off topic*

Worst game = Diablo 2/ Warcraft 3.

Unknown Hero 22-08-2004 08:17 PM

The difference batween (hope spelled it good) StarCraft and Warcraft 3 is that in Starcraft your soldiers die more rapidly, otherwise in Warcraft 3 you can go out, drink cofee, and come back how the battle goes. Warcraft 3 is bulls**t!

Durak 22-08-2004 09:01 PM

Wow, someone agrees with my ranting. People from Split are awesome to match the city.

Unknown Hero 22-08-2004 09:56 PM

Come and get some!
If you want to see how Split looks like I will be your guide.

Unknown Hero 22-08-2004 10:03 PM

I just remembered that Age of Mythology dissapointed me, too. Your forces don't know how to fight without your help. They are too stupid. I really get annoyed last time I played it.

Durak 22-08-2004 10:25 PM

Thanks for the offer Unknown but I have loads of relatives who'd love to take my if I had time, my sister was just there for two months. (When I say there I mean Croatia and a few other places like Switzerland)

THOTH 30-08-2004 12:03 PM

Did anybody here ever play 'Zombie' by UBI soft?...Garrr. I paid twenty quid for that peice of poo game. I swear the game was bugged aswell so you couldn't complete it...

Humph!!!

Stroggy 30-08-2004 01:59 PM

I didn't like warcraft either
but thats just because I can't stand elves and things like that.

Tom Henrik 30-08-2004 03:23 PM

Personally I'm beginning to hate Crusader 1 - No Remorse :bleh:

FreeFreddy 30-08-2004 03:26 PM

That fast already? :blink:

Stroggy 30-08-2004 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Aug 30 2004, 03:26 PM
That fast already? :blink:
perhaps bvecause of the minor problems there were getting the game to run :P

FreeFreddy 30-08-2004 03:35 PM

Well, it's fixed now. Go and try it out... http://forum.giga.de/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stroggy 30-08-2004 03:41 PM

no thank you.
It doesn't really interest me to be honest.

Ioncannon 30-08-2004 05:35 PM

The getaway: Crappy controls and short story. My fav part is it feels like a movie and a lot of Fcks in the game.

Silent Hill 3: Not saying its cappy but I am a big fan of the series, and it didn't live up to the other games.

Dungeon Keeper 2: I don't know but I it wasn't as good as the first one.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2: The most dissapointment ever. The first one rocked but the second revolved around 6 flags.

Day of Defeat Ver 1.0-3.0 : I was a HUGE fan of DOD, I played since vver 1.3b, but once Valve took over, the game SUCKED!!!!!! I don't play dod any more, I miss the old BETA versions :((. The maps suck, the guns sound to soft, and tit dosn't feel like a WWII game, plus they removed nice features like bleeding and the atomic nade.

revgb 31-08-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Aug 15 2004, 12:02 PM
And far off indeed...
Anyway, I wanted to add that Dungeon Keeper 2 is also disappointing, if you played Dungeon Keeper 1 + Addons long enough to know all aspects of it. At least for me.

dungeon keeper had addons??? like what? do u have any links

i loved DK but never relly like number 2

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 08:53 AM

There were 2 addons for Dungeon Keeper 1 that I know of.
1. Deeper Dungeons - I have this one with Dungeon Keeper, as my version is Dungeon Keeper Gold.
2. Evil Keeper - heard about this one, but didn't have a chance to try it out...

Borodin 11-01-2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maikel@Aug 14 2004, 11:42 AM
So tell me..which games did you hate the most??

The worst game I ever reviewed was a little-known Italian title, Where's Fat Lou? It was released for less than a month in the US, then withdrawn. It was a succession of linked miniature games in a rigid hierarchy with poor graphics and no imagination. But The Ring, a French title of about 7 years ago, was perhaps worse because it was more pretentious. It contained almost an hour of orchestral material drawn from a recording of Wagner's Ring cycle of operas, and had a trailer with great graphics--who cares? The game itself was an awful graphical adventure, with perfectly logical choices leading to your death--open a door like any other, and you'd get a black screen stating you'd died, start over. Thrills galore, that. :blink:

But among very visible titles, I'd say the worst was Ultima IX. Garriott could get away with claiming Ultima VIII was bad because of his lack of involvement, but he had no excuse, here: awful AI, rigid storyline, an action game rather than an RPG (as claimed in the press releases) with a terrible graphics engine and a ton of bugs. The distance between Ultima VII and Ultima IX was the distance walked by a stubborn developer who knew better than all his fans and everyone working around him about what made a good game.

TaloN 11-01-2005 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Aug 31 2004, 08:53 AM
There were 2 addons for Dungeon Keeper 1 that I know of.
1. Deeper Dungeons - I have this one with Dungeon Keeper, as my version is Dungeon Keeper Gold.
2. Evil Keeper - heard about this one, but didn't have a chance to try it out...

u can buy the Gold pack which contains orginal + 2 addons from SoldOut Software.

Reup 11-01-2005 02:49 PM

That has to be "Ring".

It was totally unplayable. And that on 5 cd's as well... The idea was cool, make a game based on Wagners 'Ring der Niebelungen', but it was poorly done... unfortunately I had high expectiation and payed the full price :(

Moby Games review ...

wormpaul 11-01-2005 03:12 PM

HMM...maybe that`s the problem..

Sometimes you just expect too much from games...

I thought HL 2 was a real classic one...but now i`ve played it it's nothing more then a good game..

and that was dissapointing :not_ok:

wendymaree 11-01-2005 03:20 PM

I hired The Ring expecting big things because it was made by Cryo - the makers of the Atlantis games. But I didn't even bother to burn a copy for myself as it was really unwieldy and stodgy. I couldn't get into it.

Fawfulhasfury 11-01-2005 03:26 PM

I hope my upcoming game never gets listed here.
Mine is- Beneath a Steel Sky.

Borodin 11-01-2005 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wormpaul@Jan 11 2005, 04:12 PM
HMM...maybe that`s the problem..

Sometimes you just expect too much from games...

The promotional materials about The Ring, before it came out, made the game sound like a creative effort the like of which has never been seen before in any of the arts. There were also no details about game features. From all this, I figured it was probably going to be pretty bad, but I was wrong. It was truly, amazingly, terrible.

Reup 11-01-2005 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fawfulhasfury@Jan 11 2005, 06:26 PM
I hope my upcoming game never gets listed here.
Mine is- Beneath a Steel Sky.

Wow! What was it about Steel Sky that you didn't like? I rather liked it...

And as for your game... when's the beta-demo gonna be released? :ok:

xoopx 11-01-2005 03:38 PM

daikatana
blood 2
soul reaver 2
blood omen 2
akira (on amiga)
alien breed 3d (amiga)
total carnage (amiga)
chaos engine 2
quake 3 (hey i LIKED quake 2)
formula 1 '97 (psx)

a whole bunch of others i can think of

Fawfulhasfury 11-01-2005 03:42 PM

Not sure. Just didn't like it. I tried to, but couldn't.

cheesegrater 11-01-2005 03:58 PM

Disappointing games:

fly! - garbage
counterstrike - overrated
silent hunter 2 and desroyer command - no dynamic campaign, crappy ship animations, bad online gameplay
interstate 82 - jesus christ this was a baaaaaaaaaad game

i am no longer buying any electronic arts games - they are bastards

new games generally suck because the developers are hoping to cash in on the lastest society trend (for example: nfs underground, lord of the rings, yu-gi-oh), when gaming was for hardcore geeks they had to make good games or people would go back to dungeons and dragons and axis and allies :)

developers of games like HL2 and DOOM3 have a lot of pressue on them to make a great game, i don't think this formulated approach always works to create a classic like the first game was.

Balvan 11-01-2005 04:11 PM

Hmm lsl:manga cum laude.

Tulac 11-01-2005 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Balvan@Jan 11 2005, 06:11 PM
Hmm lsl:manga cum laude.
I agree 100%
WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?????:not_ok:

wormpaul 11-01-2005 05:37 PM

Still need to play that game...

but is it really so worse???

Flammo80 11-01-2005 05:49 PM

Yes, lsl magna cum laude.
They had to know it was horrible. Just playing through five whole minutes its obvious the game is without class. Definately not al-lowe worthy.
On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give it a rating of Worthless.

Scarface 11-01-2005 06:04 PM

without Al Lowe lsl magna cum laude is nothing :not_ok:

Yamcha 11-01-2005 06:51 PM

Yes they totaly forgot the quest element and now is just some stupid arcades :not_ok:

mikebarry 11-01-2005 07:46 PM

I agree with the inferiority of Magna Cum Laude...they could have at least consulted with Al Lowe...according to him they didn't at all.

For me, when they tried to "revolutionize" Kings Quest 8 I was turned off greatly. I could probably remember some other great disappointments, but this came to mind first...and I have to go to class now :D

xoopx 11-01-2005 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cheesegrater@Jan 11 2005, 04:58 PM
Disappointing games:

fly! - garbage
counterstrike - overrated
silent hunter 2 and desroyer command - no dynamic campaign, crappy ship animations, bad online gameplay
interstate 82 - jesus christ this was a baaaaaaaaaad game

i am no longer buying any electronic arts games - they are bastards

new games generally suck because the developers are hoping to cash in on the lastest society trend (for example: nfs underground, lord of the rings, yu-gi-oh), when gaming was for hardcore geeks they had to make good games or people would go back to dungeons and dragons and axis and allies :)

developers of games like HL2 and DOOM3 have a lot of pressue on them to make a great game, i don't think this formulated approach always works to create a classic like the first game was.

counterstrike wasnt always overrated.. when it was in beta it was cool, and not so ruined by cheaters. once valve bought it up, they began ruining it. the stupidest thing was the limiting of jumping. ive never seen anything so stupid in my life.

HighProtein 11-01-2005 11:46 PM

Doom 3 didn't live up to its hype in game play or online play.
Doom 2 revolutionized fps games, Doom 3 just had good graphics.

JJXB 11-01-2005 11:50 PM

enter the matrix. i know it was meant to fill in the story of the osiris between "the flight of the osiris"(on the animatrix) and the matrix reloaded and there it succeded but the gameplay wasn't very good and it was as glitchy as hell (even with the patch) and the driving sections sucked plus hacking wasn't very good. the only reason i played it was to get the extra bits of the matrix storyline that were only available through etm (i have the trilogy+animatrix on dvd).

bohor 12-01-2005 01:15 PM

Lord of the Realms 3 - I had such high hopes for this game
Daikatana - just kidding! :D

Borodin 12-01-2005 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bohor@Jan 12 2005, 02:15 PM
Lord of the Realms 3 - I had such high hopes for this game

I didn't buy it, on the basis of the reviews which (typically) lauded it to the skies, all the time making it clear it was just-another-RTS-clone. As opposed to LotR 1 and 2, both distinctive and original titles.

The Niles 12-01-2005 03:13 PM

You have read lauding reviews for LotR3? I read only two reviews but neither of the two where very flattering about it. The highest scorring one gave it 73% and that is by a magazine I know always adds atleast 10% over what I would give a game. The other had a score somewhere in the 60% range. Neither review was positive about the game and both claimed it had major problems.
The price was also a giveaway that this game would not be good. It cost only half of what any other game of the same publisher would cost. I'm all for price reductions but when a well established company starts cutting the price of only one game in half then something is not right with it.

Never played the game myself. I was looking foreward to it but when I read the reviews and saw the price I steared clear.

Fawfulhasfury 12-01-2005 03:29 PM

Tales of Symphonia

Borodin 12-01-2005 03:51 PM

You have read lauding reviews for LotR3? I read only two reviews but neither of the two where very flattering about it. The highest scorring one gave it 73% and that is by a magazine I know always adds atleast 10% over what I would give a game. The other had a score somewhere in the 60% range. Neither review was positive about the game and both claimed it had major problems.

Gamespot: 8.4 out of 10. Usually, Gamespot is on the conservative side; not that I accept anything they (or any other review publication) says at face value. But they're relatively thorough, logical, and literate. In this case, I would say they were off by a mile.

The price was also a giveaway that this game would not be good. It cost only half of what any other game of the same publisher would cost. I'm all for price reductions but when a well established company starts cutting the price of only one game in half then something is not right with it.

Wise move. There are occasionally very good games that are tossed out at bargain prices; the remake of Pizza Tycoon was one, since the US publishers (Activision, perhaps) told me they had no expectations of sales, and only took it as part of a package deal. But usually those cheap, new games are worth exactly what we pay for them.

The Settler 12-01-2005 05:08 PM

One of the most dissapointing games I`ve ever played was the new UFO, Aftermath, it was real rubbish. To few different aliens, aliens that carried cars. Not that good gameplay.... just a long list of dissapointments... But I had high hopes before i got the game!! :cry:

New Larry was real crap too.... Why coulden`t they stay in the adventure department....
I know there are many others crappy games that I hate... but just can`t think of any at the moment.... well hate all Tomb Raiders games ;)

bohor 12-01-2005 05:26 PM

I just remembered another:
DeusEx2

edlglide 12-01-2005 06:16 PM

Lords of the Realm II was an excellent game; in fact now that someone has mentioned it I want to dig up my old CD and play it again. But yes, Lords of the Realm III was awful, and I was really looking forward to it. The site I always use for reviews, IGN, only gave it a 6.4 though. Certainly nothing inflated about that.

feminista 14-01-2005 03:01 AM

I'll have to second FFX-2. I mean, I didn't LOVE FFX, but FFX-2 was REALLY horrible. I mean, I kind of enjoyed the battle system, but who plays Final Fantasy for the battles? 0_o Most annoying characters I've encountered in a long time. If FFXII is that bad, I may have to give up my Square fangirlism. Or just keep playing FFVII over and over again. That would work. And Secret of Mana. And Super Mario RPG. Okay, cancel that, I couldn't give it up.

I was also rather disappointed by Metroid Prime, given how much I loved Super Metroid. But then, that's what I get for still living in the SNES days. Same thing happened when Zelda went 3D. I stuck out my tongue and replayed A Link to the Past again.

edlglide 14-01-2005 03:16 AM

Oh yeah, FFX-2 was just godawful. I didn't think FFX was that great, but it was still lightyears better than FFX-2. By the way, I've promoted this game repeatedly........but since you seem to be a big RPG fan, if you can find Suikoden 2 for PSX I'd recommend you play it. Not as pretty, but overall a far better game with a better story than FF7 in my opinion. It's just damn near impossible to find now; costs like 120 dollars to get off the Internet.

feminista 14-01-2005 03:20 AM

I'll look for it, but I have a few priorities first. And besides, I really didn't like Suikoden III, and while I know II is supposed to be much better, it's tough to get a game from a series you don't really like. Thanks for the recommendation, though. It'll certainly be a consideration once I finish Disgaea and go back to finish Primal.

xoopx 14-01-2005 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by feminista@Jan 14 2005, 04:01 AM

I was also rather disappointed by Metroid Prime, given how much I loved Super Metroid. But then, that's what I get for still living in the SNES days. Same thing happened when Zelda went 3D. I stuck out my tongue and replayed A Link to the Past again.

the over-head 2d zeldas are the only ones!!!!!
the 3d ones dont bring anything to the game.. in fact i think they make it worse.

JJXB 14-01-2005 02:06 PM

hey! zelda - ocarina of time is ok (majoras mask took it a bit far though) and the nes+snes ff games were the best, they made me want to carry on playing (the PSX ones didn't make me want to, they just made me play a bit and then stop)

ReamusLQ 14-01-2005 02:32 PM

I would have to say the worst game I ever played was probably Day of the Tentacle. It was so absurd and stupid and it just really really sucked and blew at the same time. <attacked by forum members> :tomato: AAAA! Ok, ok, I'm just kidding, sheesh. That was a GREAT game. The worst game ever hm? I don't know, I am normally really good about not playing bad games. In fact, I only really play a game if I know for sure that I will enjoy it, and others have told me I will so....I don't really have a worst game. YAY FOR GOOD GAMES! :Brain:

edlglide 14-01-2005 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by feminista@Jan 14 2005, 04:20 AM
I'll look for it, but I have a few priorities first. And besides, I really didn't like Suikoden III, and while I know II is supposed to be much better, it's tough to get a game from a series you don't really like. Thanks for the recommendation, though. It'll certainly be a consideration once I finish Disgaea and go back to finish Primal.
Well, not liking Suikoden 3 doesn't mean too much about Suikoden II because they play completely differently -- but I still understand where you're coming from. I did like Suikoden 3 though........there were some gameplay changes that I didn't like, and the story wasn't as good as Suikoden 2......but I loved the whole chapter based system where you saw the story unfold from different perspectives and had to try and piece it together. I thought that was brilliant; especially how you could play a chapter as the villain (another reason I like Suikoden, their villains often aren't really villains in the traditional RPG style of some evil person who just wants to kill everything......they usually have good reasons for doing what they do) if you beat the game with all 108 stars and got to see more of his motivation. I understand they don't have that system in Suikoden 4 though, which is disappointing.

ultranewbie 14-01-2005 09:51 PM

Net Zone

This 3d adventure thing that was just yuck. It was when 3d was just coming out, 95ish I think..

BlackMageJawa 14-01-2005 10:34 PM

Although they're not bad, I was extemely disappointed with Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island and Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon. All for the same reason: they have abysmal controls!

BS:TSD's are probably the best of the three, but compared to the Point 'n Clicks these titles should rightfully be, they're all horrible. Still good games, but they would have been so much better without a mass-market pleasing '3D Action!' control scheme tacked on. Which obviously didn't work, as the adventure genre is still pretty much dead.
Rant over.

No One Lives Forever 2 was pretty naff compared to its sublime prequel too.

NewSchool87 15-01-2005 10:28 PM

Hey! :bye:
The more dissapointing games for me were the first Age Of Empires (it was boooring :yawn: ) and Black And White (who cares about resources gestion? :yawn: I wanted to play for the creatures!...but something was always going wrong)

Stroggy 15-01-2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BlackMageJawa@Jan 14 2005, 11:34 PM

BS:TSD's are probably the best of the three

No One Lives Forever 2 was pretty naff compared to its sublime prequel too.

I think BS was the worst of the three. It took me much longer to get used to than the other games. Grim fandango was clumsy at first because it was the first of its kind, escape from monkey island was easy to controll, I think.

No One Lives Forever 2 was an okay game. It was whacky and quite enjoyable.

edlglide 16-01-2005 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NewSchool87@Jan 15 2005, 11:28 PM
The more dissapointing games for me were the first Age Of Empires (it was boooring :yawn: ) and Black And White (who cares about resources gestion? :yawn: I wanted to play for the creatures!...but something was always going wrong)

I loved Age of Empires 1 and 2.........but I also love history, so maybe that's partially why. I agree with you on Black & White though; everything I read about it said it was this incredible game and it really wasn't very fun.

Tulac 16-01-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by edlglide@Jan 16 2005, 03:12 AM
I loved Age of Empires 1 and 2.........but I also love history, so maybe that's partially why. I agree with you on Black & White though; everything I read about it said it was this incredible game and it really wasn't very fun.

Yes it's a great game but monks , they are the most Annoying unit in any strategy ever , and they ruin the game because who ever builds the most monks is the winner, and where do monks fit in in the history??? Yes there were missionares who converted pagans or whatever , but monks with healing power???
Thankfully in multiplayer we never play with monks which makes the game 10 times better.

Scarface 16-01-2005 04:24 PM

monks in large groups are a real pain...
anyway I didn't like age of empires 1 that much but I think it was because I played AOE 2 before AEO 1

LuckyLlama 19-01-2005 11:26 PM

I can only think of one game: Gods & Generals.
I foolishly forked over my money for this game before I read any reviews or anything for it. :wall:
I'll never made that mistake again.
Horrible, absolutely horrible...

thehuncho 09-02-2005 01:00 AM

My worst game would be driv3r :sick: it was so crap but still sold well?

The cutscenes looked ok when they had no graphic glitches and the sound would disappear so you needed to put subtitles on so you could still understand whats going on.

compared to the first 2 driver games this one is so below standard its actually dead and buried.

lucky enough though i read the reviews and only hired it to get my own option and it sure did live up to the reviews.

hopefully though the bring back tanner for driver 4 and fix all the problems.

cheesegrater 10-02-2005 12:34 AM

Silent Hunter 2 - Most disappointing game. The original silent hunter which was made years earlier was 100 times better.

Driver 3? I didn't even know it was out. It sold well because of the reputation and the hype. It looks like they turned it into a GTA 3 clone. Immitation is the biggest type of flattery.

Gun Man 10-02-2005 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cheesegrater@Feb 10 2005, 01:34 AM
Silent Hunter 2 - The original silent hunter which was made years earlier was 100 times better.

Oh a inteligent one :blink: but yeah is a bad game(not bad but boring)..but i love the underwater cam.

cheesegrater 10-02-2005 02:03 AM

The lack of a dynamic campaign was the biggest let down. Also, I hated the ship animation - all the ships sunk the same and it took them forever to sink. There was no secondary explosions, hull breaking, etc. The bugs in that game were horrible - especially problems with ships running aground. It's kinda puzzles me to see a battleship rolling around on the beach. Multiplayer was buggy as hell. The only good thing was the graphics and the awesome FPS I got on my crap Pentium II.

There was probably more disappoing games out there but this was the biggest one for me. Also post some games that everybody can agree on. Maybe you thought Age Of Empires was disappointing, but 10 other people think it was great.

Stroggy 10-02-2005 07:21 AM

I liked Age of Empires when I was younger, not for the battle but for the pretty buildings and stuff... actually I still love RTS mostly for the buildings.

But yeah those monks were annoying, I still remember their chants "ayehoo hailyoo"

Mardi-Gras 10-02-2005 09:21 AM

For me, "The Getaway" - main problem? no following camera, added to an ai that always knew where you were. The driving section of the game was supposed to be "Just like driving in London!" I'll give it that, they succeeded there. Inching along at 5mph in a horrible jam of lorries, cars, bikes etc. And I've never heard such foul language in a game, ever! Not that I'm a prude, but it really is a bit over the top.

And I have to agree with the general sentiment regarding "Manhunt". i was applying for a job for a Playstation 2 magazine as a reviewer, and took Manhunt as one of the several games I chose to review. The magazine had a policy that it only reviewed games that the reviewer had completed in full. so I had to slog it out until it was done. That game is one nasty piece of work. not sure if it's Rockstar's attempt at a joke on everyone who found the cartoony violence of the Grand Theft Auto games fun, or something darker that's just beyond me. What's really ashame is that the closing levels are actually remarkably well designed, and, excepting the finale, veer away from the 'snuff' side into the more familiar territory of a game like "Hitman". But getting that far is tedious and unpleasant.

And i didn't even get the job. :wall:

Draken 11-02-2005 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NewSchool87@Jan 15 2005, 11:28 PM

Black and White was ok. It'll be much better in the Black and White 2, in which shall have amazing graphics and you get to control units to war(not peasants or townspeople, guards and knights and archers etc.)

Stroggy 11-02-2005 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Draken@Feb 11 2005, 01:43 AM
It'll be much better in the Black and White 2, in which shall have amazing graphics and you get to control units to war
That wasn't the problem of the original one. The problem was that you had to solve miniquests and invade an entire island while you had to constantly feed you worshippers and make sure the peasants didn't loose faith in you and expand your villages at the same time, while trying to get back your creature.
THAT was annoying

MasterGrazzt 11-02-2005 02:28 PM

The problem with Black and White is that while it claimed to be about being a god, that basically boiled down to throwing rocks, swinging your cursor about and being forced to play a virtual pet simulator. Real fine work there, Molyneux. I guess real games aren't popular anymore, just vague video game notions?

Calamity 11-02-2005 05:18 PM

In terms of console games I'd probably say
-Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness: (this was the Tomb Raider I had been waiting the whole series for and by the time it finally comes out they managed to make the controls absolutely horrid so it's not even fun to play.)

-Final Fantasy VII and anything after it (I used to love the SNES Final Fantasy titles but everything past VI just doesn't do anything for me, plus there are far better RPGs out there.)

As for pc titles I was really let down with Bureau 13 but it might have just been the clunky interface and Diablo (For a game that everyone hails it sure was boring.) There could be a few more but I refuse to touch Deus Ex 2 (for example) since I adore the first one and really don't like what I've heard about it's sequel.

Wired 12-02-2005 12:11 AM

Star Fox: Senile Adventures

I think it's the only game I've really hated playing, I mean... it just bored me out of my skull and I promise and swear I'll never play that game again. Other than that I can't think of anything, oh I'm sure I've played lots of awful games but none other have fused it's evil vileness into my mind as firmly and irrevocably as SF:A.

Mentor 12-02-2005 07:35 AM

I disagree with most of you as far as what constitutes a bad game, but that's neither here nor there.

As a matter of fact, I havn't played a game yet that I havn't liked, and I liked most, if not all, of the games brought up so far as "bad".

Stroggy 12-02-2005 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Calamity@Feb 11 2005, 06:18 PM

-Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness: (this was the Tomb Raider I had been waiting the whole series for and by the time it finally comes out they managed to make the controls absolutely horrid so it's not even fun to play.)

The controls didn't bother me, the graphical glitches did.
Parts of the 3d-model of Lare would 'stick' to walls and stretch if you ran further away.
And I also fell through walls and such. Its a pity because it looked like a neat game and I actually enjoyed playing the first part (up until the Louvre where the bugs just got too plentyfull)

The current time is 04:27 AM (GMT)