Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Heart Of China (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4227)

Strobe 04-04-2005 10:23 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + Download

Lulu_Jane 04-04-2005 10:26 AM

I remember this game, I loved it at the time - even if it was a little on the easy side if I remeber rightly. Above anything else, I guess it was one of those small but invasive influences way back then that led me on a path to be living and working in Asia. Thanks for putting this one up :ok:

Darkness 04-04-2005 12:56 PM

Awesome.. thanks !

LuckyLlama 04-04-2005 06:40 PM

Now this was a fun game! It's was especially fun when I got through the whole game only to come home with no money and no girl. Passing out drunk in the alley has never been so much fun (not to mention frustrating). :D

DeathDude 04-04-2005 09:25 PM

Man this looks like a cool game, gonna go download it right now.

Calamity 05-04-2005 04:16 AM

It's a great game, I'm just a tad stuck. I'm in the palace at the point where you have to kill the two snakes that surround Lisa and even after I equip the pistol my icon is still a hand and I get the exciting ending of death by snake bite. :P

Chris 05-04-2005 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Calamity+Apr 5 2005, 06:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Calamity @ Apr 5 2005, 06:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It's a great game, I'm just a tad stuck. I'm in the palace at the point where you have to kill the two snakes that surround Lisa and even after I equip the pistol my icon is still a hand and I get the exciting ending of death by snake bite. :P[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-review

There is one action with which I had some problems however: Lucky can shoot with his .45 Magnum. To do this put the pistol into his hands in the inventory, then hold the right mouse button and aim with the crosshair. The fire button is SPACE.
[/quote]

Guest 05-04-2005 06:39 AM

Great game, but kind of easy...

goblins 05-04-2005 07:02 AM

another quality game on abandonware so far

Calamity 05-04-2005 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bobbin+Apr 5 2005, 01:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bobbin @ Apr 5 2005, 01:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-review

There is one action with which I had some problems however: Lucky can shoot with his .45 Magnum. To do this put the pistol into his hands in the inventory, then hold the right mouse button and aim with the crosshair. The fire button is SPACE.

[/b][/quote]
Hey thanks a bunch. I knew the spacebar had something to do with it since it's also the same in Rise of the Dragon (and Dynamix put out both), I just couldn't quite remember what. :ok:

Isidor 05-04-2005 09:49 PM

in my opinion it is much worse than Rise of the Dragon, which is an excellent
adventure.
The dialogues are pretty dull and disrespectfull to asians.
I wasn't able to finish it even with a walkthrough, because I got stuck
in that nepalese village, and I had enaugh of these stupid dialogues,
so I freed some space on my HD.
Greets,

Stig 07-04-2005 04:40 AM

Yessssss. I`ve been waiting for this one for a long time. I remember playing it when I was a kid. It was damn fun. Was reading Biggles books at the time , so playing a pilot in an adventure game was fun hehe.

Parkingtigers 12-04-2005 03:41 PM

I have fond memories of this game, even though it was ridiculously easy. Any game that you can buy on the Saturday and finish on the Sunday is not exactly a challenge. Strangely, that didn't make me dislike the game, I've been hoping this one would turn up on this site for a while now. It was easy, and very short yes, but in the same way that a film only lasts 2 hours or so. Heart of China had that whole "living the film" feel to it, and that wonderful '30s style carried it off well.

I recommend everyone give it a go, it will only take a short time to play it, and it is a fun journey. Well, it was 14 years ago. It will be interesting to see if I like it as much at 30 as I did at 16. Paid a fair bit of my wages for the game back then, now I can download it for free in just a couple of minutes. How far we have come.

Guest 18-06-2005 01:35 PM

I might be a little bit dumb but, how do I make an airplaine out of the leaflet? :help:

Christian IV 02-07-2005 04:01 PM

:blink: :blink:
has anyone else had challenges with the sound files of
Heart of China? I went to do system set up, and the game
could not find my sound blaster, then said that it could not play
the sound as another device was using sound blaster....
i found a note on a forum that said that might mean that the files
in my sound blaster need to be updated, i have a Windows 98 SE
system, .....so i went to the site for Creative and deleted and updated and
restored, if anyone else has to do this, you need to find two
additional WAV files from Creative to get the full install to work, they
have them but it is a pain. they are eapci4m.ecw and eapci8m.ecw,
if you have the same Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI64V I do, the
upgrade file you need from Creative is called PC164VUP, and then
once you put

eapci4m.ecw
eapci8m.ecw

in the same folder as PC164VUP you will be able to complete the
update.

So maybe it will work now, i havent tried it yet, as i have to take some
time off today. just thought i would check and see if anyone else had
similar sound challenges with HOC,
by the way, if anyone like the games with a China thene, take a look
at Qin: Tomb of the Middle Kingdom and Riddle of Master Lu but they
are NOT abandonware and need to be purchased honourably.

dynamite 1 11-04-2006 07:44 AM

hmm does enyone know how can i kill the poisonous snakes in li deng´s fort?

Ghost 27-11-2006 12:40 AM

Thank you Christian IV

I've been looking for
eapci4m.ecw
&
eapci8m.ecw

thebes 15-06-2007 12:31 AM

:brain: I had the Amiga version of this game. It had great graphics on my 500 of course. I never got around to really playing it but it seemed pretty neat! :kosta:

pellets 13-08-2007 09:37 AM

Played this (and rise of the dragon) and absolutely loved them both...
Wonderful games...
Although when you finished them , they are not so fun anymore as you now all the secrets....
:kosta:

ZeroTrggr 20-07-2008 02:18 PM

I found this game at my local salvation store for $2.50 and i bought it but it was the mac version and my old mac isn't working right now

they also had full throttle (for mac)

plutonick 06-03-2009 10:16 PM

I just finished this game after 4-5 hours of playtime.

The game, I suppose even for it's time, was awfully short. The dialogs seemed way too silly to me, and the humor juvenile.

Also, during the last part on the train, the Jake and Kate are sitting on the cabin, the villain gets in, and suddenly Jake and the villain are on the roof of the train? Why? It didn't make sense. If they were going to fight they could very well fight on the cabin. And I doubt that Jake would try to escape through the roof of the train.

fleabag 05-02-2010 01:50 AM

HELP!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strobe (Post 86066)
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + Download

How do I install it onto my computer from DOS?

The Fifth Horseman 05-02-2010 09:45 AM

You don't "install" it. Just unpack and run it.

fleabag 05-02-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 395973)
You don't "install" it. Just unpack and run it.

I tried that and it locks up my computer

The Fifth Horseman 05-02-2010 03:06 PM

Then you are doing something wrong.

fleabag 05-02-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 396002)
Then you are doing something wrong.

ok...what am I doing wrong?

El Quia 05-02-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleabag (Post 396003)
ok...what am I doing wrong?

First you must tell us what you are doing :p

fleabag 05-02-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Quia (Post 396004)
First you must tell us what you are doing :p

I just type "hoc" from the DOS prompt.(the zip file, incidently, has about seven files labeled 'volume.XXX' and not much else.

fleabag 06-02-2010 02:56 PM

HELP!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strobe (Post 86066)

Review + Download

"Heart of China" sounds like it would be a good game to play,...[b]IF[b] I can get it to run on either one of my computers (one of which is an old Packard Bell with PC DOS 7.0 on it).

arete 09-02-2010 07:23 AM

*sigh*

Please tell me you can run DOSbox on one of them?

fleabag 10-02-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 396364)
*sigh*

Please tell me you can run DOSbox on one of them?

Yes I can.

fleabag 10-02-2010 05:15 PM

I finally got it to run in DOSbox (which is a real pain in the you-know what) but thanks anyway. And I have since found out that if you are having problems getting the Soundblaster driver to work, you can use the Ad-Lib drivers to get the sound.

arete 10-02-2010 05:43 PM

I find it an extremely useful programme - but then i'm not a purist. And my XT died in about 94, leaving me with a large chunk of scifi writing gone down the tubes forever... :( and then my brother took the dratted drive apart.

guests 11-01-2011 08:59 PM

Paper Airplane

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 115752)
I might be a little bit dumb but, how do I make an airplaine out of the leaflet? :help:

I couldn't figure it out either. Did you ever figure it out?

TotalAnarchy 12-01-2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guests (Post 420457)
I couldn't figure it out either. Did you ever figure it out?

Drag the paper on Jake's picture.

Palocles 30-04-2011 02:51 AM

I played this game when it was new and i was young but i could never get past that tank driving bit. Did anyone do that or is it one fo the skippable action sequences (that everyone skipped)?

It seemed pretty cool back then but i can't remember the dialogue.

Phantom 30-04-2011 09:22 AM

In Heart of China you can skip the arcade sequences, including the 'tank arcade sequence' too.

chris_doom_k. 11-12-2017 11:17 PM

This game is being sold now. GOG sells it and probably Steam too. I just give the heads up.

Mystvan 12-12-2017 11:36 PM

I played Heart of China when I was younger and very newbie in the gaming world. :jrpac:

I do not remember many details beyond the backgrounds (beautiful by the way :omg:).

One of the fastest game endings I remembered was to make a choice, or rather a dialogue or incorrect action that made the main character captured and enslaved on a ship. :lame:

The curious thing is that generally the adventure games of LucasArts, Microprose and Westwood need not beware of “unexpected” bad endings.

The current time is 07:21 AM (GMT)