Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16906)

Romano 02-04-2008 07:44 PM

Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download

Tabris 04-04-2008 08:49 PM

This was one of the first RPG's I played when I was a kid, and I loved it.
Kinda ruened fantasy RPG's for me... oh well. But I can't play it! When I create a character and try to save him it says "Failure to save 3" and kicks me to the main menu. Any ideas to fix this?

MV75 04-04-2008 11:29 PM

This is the thing about SSI games, they're too picky on paths when games are installed.

According to this line in the buck.cfg file;
C:\DOOMSDAY\SAVE\
And the contents of the zip file, you need to directly unzip the game to c:\

As for the game, I love it. Needler guns are the absolute best, aside from rocket launchers. :)

Also I think my favorite part would be the bit where you investigate the ship that you then end up owning.
________
Iolite Vaporizer

beliar 06-04-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MV75 (Post 322719)
[...]
According to this line in the buck.cfg file;
C:\DOOMSDAY\SAVE\
And the contents of the zip file, you need to directly unzip the game to c:\
[...]

Or change the cfg, thats what i did and it works. Anyway, the review says that every race has its own qualities. A manual or at least a list of what every races qualities are as an extra would have been nice. At least i didn't saw any explanation when creating the characters.

I'll look for it myself but it would be better to be able to download it from here directly.

Edit:
For anyone interested, a text version of the books that came with the game can be found at Lemon Amiga

Scanned PDF - and much bigger- versions of those can be found at replacementdocs. The one with the description of the races is the ~10MB log book.

Messias 08-04-2008 05:58 AM

Somthing that also works with the Save error is mounting the game in dosbox to the c drive.

F.X.

Game date is installed/unpacked to D:\games\doomsday

in dosbox you then type

mount c d:\games
then
d:
then
cd doomsday
then
start
Dosbox then emulates that the game is installed to the root of the c drive
and that fixes the save game error without having to mess with CFG files.

Todbog 10-04-2008 07:36 AM

I remember the ship to ship combat was simplistic but very fun. I really enjoyed this game and it was one of the few RPG's of this type I actually saw to completion. The skills were incredibly interesting compared to the D&D games using the same engine. :laugh:

banchote 14-04-2008 05:06 PM

hi can anyone explain in reallly simple terms how i can get the game to save?
i'm using win 2000 pro. i'm getting the save error 3 message.
to load the game i'm just double clicking on start.
i'm using win rar to unzip it, and it really doesn't give me the option to specify where to save the program it just unzips and i drag it to my desktop or c directory etc.

any and all help is greatly welcomed.

thanks!

Sebatianos 14-04-2008 05:16 PM

First off you should really try and use the DOSBox for emulation. The game wasn't tested for 2000pro compatibility (sorry).

You might wanna try and configure the folders the game creates (but not sure if those will work in Win 2000pro).

banchote 14-04-2008 05:37 PM

ok now i'm really going to sound like a noob...but dosbox? i see it here and have downloaded it? anyone willing to give me a quick crash course?

dosraider 14-04-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banchote (Post 323437)
.....give me a quick crash course?

Here ya go:
A beginner's guide to DOSBox

The current time is 08:53 AM (GMT)