Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Music, Art, Movies (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Favourite Lead Singer (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=8093)

DeathDude 16-11-2005 06:37 PM

Probably has been a topic like this back in the day, but whatever it's going to happen again. Simple premise, who's your favourite lead singer, for whatever genre and why are they your favourite? Do they stand out, something unique about their singing.

Alright for me hands down Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is in my opinion one of the best metal singers past and present, honestly the man sings in a crazy operatic octive it's just maddness, 80's Dickinson was even more insane I heard some of his b-side tracks like Cross Eyed Marry and I've got the fire and was like how the hell can he sing that high? :blink: And his Maiden tracks like Flight of Icarus, Run to the Hills, Die with your boots on, classic sound and his solo work that he did when he left Maiden getting into now and just as amazing, songs like Tears of the Dragon, Road to Hell, Arc of Space, Chemical Wedding, Book of Thel, Trumpets of Jerusalem, masterful. :kosta:

Second choice would be Geoff Tate from Queensryche, he can hit such high notes it's insanity, nice octive level he can range his voice, honestly in the 80's when he started out, he was incredible even better than Dickinson I would say. :D Sadly his voice has gone down hill in the 90's but to date it's getting better and still is very worthy.

Finally James Labrie from Dream Theater has a very awesome vocal range that varies, he sings mostly prog metal but on his solo album he did a bunch of power metal tracks that before I thought he could never do, but I was mistaken and finally Matt Barlow from Iced Earth, great voice, has got that hard metal power sound down, too bad he left Iced Earth in 2003. :cry:

Alright let's see some of your choices.

Scarface 18-11-2005 04:07 PM

My favorite has got to be Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. Wow, what a voice, you could feel the energy. I'm sure many of you know his famous songs as "18 & life" or "I remember you," but if you don't, you should try some of the band's music (old stuff of course, because Sebastian isn't the lead singer anymore.)

Chuck the plant 18-11-2005 05:17 PM

Freddie Mercury R.I.P.

Ian Kilmister

Biff Malibu

Most others are expendable.

lethe 19-11-2005 12:47 AM

Chris Cornell

Eddie Vedder

Forever Jim Morrison.

Flop 19-11-2005 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Nov 18 2005, 08:17 PM
Freddie Mercury R.I.P.

Ian Kilmister

Biff Malibu

Most others are expendable.

While I agree (very much) that Freddy Mercury is one the greatest singers I've ever heard, I was surprised that anyone would mention Lemmy in this topic. Don't get me wrong, I love Motörhead, but Lemmy as one of the greatest lead singers out there? That's a bit farfetched, IMO.

Btw, DD, I'm beginning to think that you're just opening these topics to promote Bruce Dickinson. :D

Also, I'd like to hear peoples opinion of King Diamonds singing. I must say that I don't really like it too much myself, but I've heard many people claim that he's a great singer. Just thought I'd ask what you guys think.

Chuck the plant 19-11-2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flop@Nov 19 2005, 03:37 AM
but Lemmy as one of the greatest lead singers out there?
No. As one of my FAVOURITE lead singers, as the topic-title suggests. ;)

And you can't denie that he'd indeed be unexpendable... ;)

Flop 19-11-2005 02:57 AM

Fair enough, I guess. And yeah, he's indeed the heart and soul of Motörhead. I doubt they'd be worth anything without him.

Thornwood 26-11-2005 07:25 PM

Yeah, both Bruce Dickinson and Freddie Mercury are awesome and can higher than I'm comfortable singing myself, and I'm a female soprano. I really love how Dickinson sings "and then down in falls comes the rain" in Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Of course, I'm always going to love Tarja Turunen from Nightwish, and even though she's no longer with the band she still rocks.

Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian. One of the few power metal vocalists who doesn't sound remotely girly on the high notes. Of course, I might be a little biased because Blind Guardian was the first metal band I got into.

Roy Khan from Kamelot. Simply amazing. Just listen to their stuff and you'll see what I mean. "Abandoned" and "Coldest Winter Night" really show off his voice well, IMO, so I recommend giving those a listen. In fact, I recommend giving all their stuff a listen.

Dv0e 30-11-2005 05:40 AM

^ Yes, Roy Khan is a god on vocals. Other picks of mine would have to be:

1. Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
2. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
3. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
4. Matt Barlow (ex-Iced Earth)
5. Warrel Dane (Nevermore)

Lonely Vazdru 30-11-2005 07:27 AM

Freddie Mercury
James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
Mike Matijevik (Steelheart)
Paul Stanley (Kiss)
Ron Taylor (Lillian axe)

And Jeff Scott Soto (to many bands to list, but mainly Malmsteem and Talisman) who rules them all ! :w00t:

Iron_Scarecrow 30-11-2005 12:13 PM

I could have sworn I already posted in this thread.

nimicitor 30-11-2005 09:26 PM

favourite singer at the moment is probably Sharon den Adel or Till Lindemann. :)

duckpatch 02-12-2005 11:11 AM

Uriah Heep's past vocalist David Byron. He was gifted with a phenomenal vocal range. Grab 'Bird of Prey' from the album Salisbury :P

Gelfo 02-12-2005 02:24 PM

Don't particularly have one. Michael Stipe is a dude though

Thornwood 12-12-2005 06:43 PM

Yes, Sharon Del Adel has a really beautiful voice, too. So clear and pure. I also really love Floor Jansen from After Forever. Anyone else heard of them?

omg 13-12-2005 02:53 AM

jeff buckley R.I.P

auhsor 13-12-2005 01:34 PM

Was about to mention Jeff. Also Emmett Tinley has a pretty awesome voice. He was in a smallish Irish band called The Prayer Boat and has since gone solo recently. Matt Bellamy from muse also has a great dynamic voice.

WaAn 04-01-2006 09:17 PM

Freddie Mercury R.I.P - You know where he was from...
Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden
James Hetfield ^_^ - Metallica :D
Derrick Green from Sepultura. He sings so fast, that if you don't have text of the song, you will probably don't understand anything. :eeeeeh:

HighProtein 05-01-2006 10:48 PM

Bruce Dickinson and Geoff Tate own James Labrie.
The best thing I can say about James Labrie is that his voice doesn't crack as much live now.
Raymond Watts is my favorite singer of all time though.

auhsor 07-01-2006 01:31 PM

Yeah, James LaBrie's voice is getting much better than it has in the last few years. It went bad because of a food poisoning incident about 10 years ago where he messed up his vocal cords, and he has only just recovered.

AlleyCat 09-01-2006 12:10 PM

Jack White from White Stripes

Lou Reed from Velvet Underground

Iggy Pop

Waine Coyne from Flaming Lips

nimicitor 11-01-2006 11:19 PM

this week its peter steele :ok:

bruno 11-01-2006 11:29 PM

The best is................................................ ...James Hetfield :whistle:

#BlakhOle# 11-01-2006 11:57 PM

No.1 on my list is, for some ultimately strange reason I have yet to comprehend... Pete Murray. :blink:

2. James Hetfield :kosta:

3. Billy Idol

Bieningana 19-01-2006 10:31 PM

I can't believe, that nobody didn't mantion Les Claypol :D Youy don't know Primus ? I also like Zack de la Rocha from Rage Against The Machine. And BJORK - only one really good female singer that I can think of. Don't forget about Varg Vikarnese from Burzum, but I think u won't like his voice :sneaky:

Chuck the plant 20-01-2006 11:09 AM

Um, when exactly did Zack De La Rocha EVER sing? :blink: Don't get me wrong, I like RATM very much, but Zack is as much of a singer as Eminem... :blink:

Bieningana 23-01-2006 05:07 PM

Oh right, the "singer" is not wide category - but i believe that the creator of this topic ment "singer=the-guy-or-gal-who-make-vocals-in-band", not "singer=a-guy-or-gal-with-beutiful-voice-singing-in-typical-way"... or maybe I'm wrong, but i bet that first cath is true.

Chuck the plant 23-01-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bieningana@Jan 23 2006, 07:07 PM
i bet that first cath is true.
So that rules out A-Capella? :P

There's yet a difference between "rapping" and "singing"... that's why there are two different terms for those! :ok:

Bieningana 23-01-2006 06:17 PM

I agree, as I said - I think that author of this topic ment "vocalist" not "singer" (in conventional use of this word). And it doesn't rules out A-capella becouse there can be one-man-band... can't it be ?

Sebatianos 23-01-2006 07:00 PM

Heather Small, from the M-People. Now that woman has an excelent voice :ok: :kosta:

Tulac 23-01-2006 07:08 PM

I like Mark Knopfler's voice...

kajjj 23-01-2006 07:53 PM

Cesaria Evora,
it's gotta be her

Shunk Eat Enemy 23-01-2006 08:27 PM

Jeffrey nothing

Yobor 23-01-2006 11:40 PM

Freddy Mercury. Nobody as good as him ANYWHERE EVER. He's amazing.

Bieningana 24-01-2006 08:52 AM

Yea Mercury had both voice and good expression, but he is somehow too "vintage" for me... I liked Queen when I was 6!

The current time is 02:28 AM (GMT)