Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Offers (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   derboo - Any interest in old games from Korea? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=21313)

derboo 22-08-2009 03:32 PM

derboo - Any interest in old games from Korea?

Lately, I've been introducing Korean DOS-Games on a site I frequent, HardcoreGaming 101.

http://hg101.proboards.com/index.cgi...ay&thread=5588

I wondered if those might be interesting for Abandonia to host. I understand the site won't have any of the RPGs, but there's a ton of other games that are playable without any language knowledge, and most of these games have been virtually unavailable to western gamers so far.

I figure most of the companies that made them are out of business by now, but I'd offer to check that on a case-by-case basis. I could also provide the necessary informations for the database, and maybe even write some reviews.

How about it?

Luchsen 22-08-2009 08:00 PM

Of course! It is a pity that there are so many untranslated games, so we should at least get the ones which are playable without translation. We only need the games and someone to review them. :)

Unknown and endangered games are the first that have to be saved. :D

derboo 23-08-2009 02:02 AM

Alright. Where can I make submissions to (files will probably come in slow at first, since my access to the internet is rather unstable atm).

Luchsen 23-08-2009 01:59 PM

PM sent. :PM:

derboo 24-08-2009 01:26 PM

I've uploaded the first batch:

Erachacha
Mirinae Software
* working on a review

Lychnis
Softmax
* will work on a review after the other one is done

Super Cop
Marixon

Van Slug: X Mission
Soft Action (published by Samsung)

Super Trio
Dong Sung Joycom

Lars the Wanderer
Gravity
(this might be in a grey zone for the site, there is some ingame dialogue, but it's not much of a hindrance, other than the choice between 1-and-2-player modes, which could be explained in additional notes to the review)

Interrupt
Family Production

Saccade 24-08-2009 06:32 PM

Interesting...

I have to know some Korean for MA - Grandmaster Chang's English isn't so great sometimes.
[ed]
I can't read it, unless it's martial arts stuff... But I can pick out some words to glean something from.
[/ed]

I'd love to see these...

derboo 25-08-2009 11:22 AM

Can I just post reviews in here? Or should I upload those, too?

Paco 25-08-2009 11:34 AM

Yes, you can uploads it in txt or doc format in the Game-Folder in your Folder.

but make it at last long enough (at last 15 Lines or more) but i think TA can explain you more of it.

Next time create a Folder for each Game and put Game, Review, Screenshots, Extra in there.

TotalAnarchy 25-08-2009 12:16 PM

Since I'm a lazy person, I'll just copy-paste what I wrote before. XD

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy (Post 378176)
When doing a review, remember to follow these guidelines:

Review

1) Review must be longer than 15 lines.
2) Review has 4 sections:
-Review
-Notes
-DOSBox Info
-How to run the game
Last three are optional but should be included if:
a) Notes - if there's additional info you have (trivia, about extras, sequels, hints or helpful comments etc)
b) DOSBox Info - If the game is run using DOSBox and needs a different number of cycles than the default ones. Additional DOSBox tweaking.
c) How to run the game - If there are additional steps needed to run the game besides starting a specific executable, it's recommended to specify them.
3) Not point-based. That means you can divide the main review into sections like (Introduction, Graphics, Sound and so on), but you're not allowed to rate them separately.
4) Include a score from 1 to 5, without counting decimals (only 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
5) I, myself consider this optional, but some updaters would appreciate if you include the game's release info and titles of the games similar to it (already on our site). But if you don't want to, don't do it. The updaters are still obligated to check the release info.
6) Save it in a txt or doc file.

Screenshots

You need to supply at least 5 screens. 5-8 screens is the optimal number. If the review is very long, you can upload up to 15 screens (that's the max). You need to include also the listingshot (titleshot, at the beginning of the game, where the title is displayed). In DOSBox you press Ctrl+F5 to capture a screenshot.

Optimal size of screenshots: 320x200. If there is no such resolution or one that can be resized to this, capture the original resolution.

derboo 26-08-2009 12:40 AM

Uploaded a review and screenshots for Erachacha.

Acethor 04-09-2009 04:01 PM

This game is called Eracha, not Erachacha... please change the name in Submissions thread, Googledoc, or wherever else it has been wrongly used.

[EDIT]:

I'm not yet sure how to change the name of the thread in Grammar, so that also needs to be changed.

[EDIT 2]:

Nevermind, figured it out :)

Luchsen 04-09-2009 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The original title is Erachacha, like you can see at the character sequence which the attached screenshot shows. But you are right: We always go for the (most) European title. :)

Changed the name in Grammar (incl. review) and Updater Schedule & Future Updates.

Acethor 04-09-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 381880)
The original title is Erachacha, like you can see at the character sequence which the attached screenshot shows.

Uh, I can't read korean... :)

Luchsen 06-09-2009 12:42 PM

I just meant that there obviously is a doubling. ^_^

derboo 07-09-2009 07:54 AM

Hmm, Lychnis crashes for me after the third level. I don't know wether this is a problem with my computer or the files, but I tried downloading it from different sources, so if it's the latter, "all" Korean Abandonware sites have the same, faulty version (tried in DosBOX, VDMS and plain XP. Maybe it needs a genuine DOS machine? I don't know).

Either way, I can't review the game, so I'm gonna jump straight to Super Cop.

Luchsen 07-09-2009 12:08 PM

Wow, Lychnis is a really cool game! God cannot justify that it crashes. Did you also notice that there were flickerings before already?

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5...ageclearop.png

[edit] There's still an official site, btw. [/edit]

Luchsen 08-09-2009 01:02 PM

Any interest in Sky & Rica - The Prelude? It's a beautiful vertical flight shooter, and I found the full game. The only problem is that I think there are two copy protection JPGs in the LCD image (which was in a ALZ archive...) which I cannot extract because the filenames probably include Korean characters. Either I blend the files with the shareware ones, or I hack the LCD image to rename the JPGs, or I crack the copy protection... :oh:

Luchsen 08-09-2009 02:02 PM

Hacked the image, have the codes. :D

derboo 24-09-2009 06:48 PM

I don't know what you prefer, but I've uploaded a version that is hacked to omit the copy protection into my subfolder. Please delete if unwanted.

derboo 26-11-2009 02:47 PM

I was faced with a game breaking bug in Super Cop very early on, too.

I instead uploaded a review and screenshots for Super Trio. (the game breaking bugs there only occur sometimes...)

I don't think I'll have the time/patience to review the other games (Van Slug, Lars and Interrupt). Are any uploads open to other reviewers, or is there something I'd have to do/say for that?

Also, is there a file size limit for games? I got a few CD based games I'd like to contribute (with CD audio, so they're pretty big even zipped).

Paco 26-11-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derboo (Post 389391)

I don't think I'll have the time/patience to review the other games (Van Slug, Lars and Interrupt). Are any uploads open to other reviewers, or is there something I'd have to do/say for that?

If someone want to review a Game, he will receive the archive if he ask a Updater for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derboo (Post 389391)
Also, is there a file size limit for games? I got a few CD based games I'd like to contribute (with CD audio, so they're pretty big even zipped).

The File-Limit for Games on AB is 150 MB, all above it is placed in ISO CELLAR in Forum.

derboo 26-11-2009 03:07 PM

OK. I noticed that all the game threads there seem to have been made by updaters. Do I post in here when I upload an ISO?

Paco 26-11-2009 03:13 PM

you post here the Names of these Games which you want to upload in ISO CELLAR and we will check if its approved or not.

If its approved, then you can post the Download-Url (but dont post it here only there) along with Info (Size, Format, etc) in Requests-Thread in ISO CELLAR.

derboo 26-11-2009 04:11 PM

The first ISO I'd like to upload is Eojjeonji Joheun Il-i Saenggil Geot Gateun Jeonyeok (TG Entertainment, 1997).

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nightstorm/night.htm
This might or might not be the only source of information available in english (aside from the small paragraph I just added to the Wikipedia stubb about the English translation of the comic books).

The file size of the zip is about 530MB, in case that matters.

TotalAnarchy 27-11-2009 05:12 AM

As I understand TG Entertainment is defunct?

derboo 27-11-2009 07:55 AM

That's correct, Eojjeonji Joheun Il-i Saenggil Geot Gateun Jeonyek (I did the title romanization slightly wrong in the link I posted, but I just submitted a correction there) has been their only released game. Developers have formed MOOV entertainment, which also went defunct after a single game release.

TotalAnarchy 27-11-2009 10:27 AM

[APPROVED]

derboo 11-12-2009 10:53 PM

Added a new game for the regular site.

The Day 3 - Dragon Force

Complete with screenshots and review.

derboo 13-05-2010 10:52 PM

For a few games I've reviewed so far I failed to give the name of the publisher (in the database, they're entered as the same as the producer).

Dragon Force - The Day 3 -> Soft Town
Eojjeonji Joheun Il-i Saenggil Geot Gateun Jeonyeok -> Korea Media Link

(Eracha and Super Trio are correct the way they are, though)

TotalAnarchy 14-05-2010 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derboo (Post 404327)
For a few games I've reviewed so far I failed to give the name of the publisher (in the database, they're entered as the same as the producer).

Dragon Force - The Day 3 -> Soft Town
Eojjeonji Joheun Il-i Saenggil Geot Gateun Jeonyeok -> Korea Media Link

(Eracha and Super Trio are correct the way they are, though)

Ok.

derboo 10-06-2010 10:22 AM

Added another game, complete with review, screenshots and copy protection info.

Still Hunt
Producer/Publisher: HiCom
Year: 1996

derboo 07-08-2011 04:10 PM

I've finally found a working copy of Lychnis. Wrote a review and tried to upload it, but my ftp login doesn't seem to work, anymore.

arete 07-08-2011 07:34 PM

The ftp login was changed last year. An updater who knows what it is will pm it to you :) Keep em coming! <3

Dave 07-08-2011 07:45 PM

Pm sent :OK:

derboo 08-08-2011 10:30 AM

Alright, uploaded files, review and screenshots for Lychnis.

marko river 09-08-2011 07:32 AM

Great work. There are so many interesting games from fr east that many of us haven't even heard of back then...

Krizalid 21-01-2013 04:58 PM

there are some ultrarare korean titles I just could never find anywhere, here are the titles, so maybe some korean friends can help!

Battle Beadman
(software house: Sonokong)

Sengoku Blade (aka Sengoku Ace Episode II / Tengai)
(software house: Psikyo)

Top Blade 2

Top Blade V

Dekkanman (or something similar, I'm investigating!)

derboo 01-10-2013 04:57 AM

I've been told the uploading process has been streamlined so a full review isn't required anymore, so I'm starting to upload Stuff with basic information:

I've just uploaded Twins, in folder /derboo. It's an adventure/action hybrid and has some intro text, but the game itself is mostly without words, kinda like the Gobliiins series, so there isn't much of a language barrier.

Info:
Released: 1995
Developer: Deca Team / Neo Art
Publisher: Samsung
Keywords: Crime, Adventure, Comedy, Fighting
Similar Games: The Clue!, Gobliiins series

Screenshots (and the text, if you put a link) can be taken from here:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kor...her2.htm#twins
I give it 4 stars, if you want to take this as a review.

EMS has to be switched off in DOSBox.

Adventure mode Controls:

Ctrl: Action
Alt: Switch characters
Space: Jump (only the thin guy)
Enter: Inventory

Don't remember the exact controls for the other modes, though.

Japo 02-10-2013 08:31 PM

Thanks!

derboo 07-10-2013 08:02 PM

By the way, how is the policy for fan-translated games? I could upload my English translated version of Romance of the Forgotten Kingdom (http://translation.derboo.de/romance.html) alongside the original Korean install files.

marko river 07-10-2013 10:22 PM

Why not. Can it be provided as patch or as separate game archives for each language?

edit: I mean, we tend to provide the games as they were when they were published. So, if patch is possible, than patch will be placed as extra. In separate archives case, we will provide original Korean version as extra. It is more important to make it possible for people to play, but we want to keep games as they were for historical value.

derboo 12-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko river (Post 457592)
Why not. Can it be provided as patch or as separate game archives for each language?

I've uploaded both the original Korean install package and the pre-patched English translated version.

The official English title was "The Romance of Forgotten Kingdom", but for the translation I've changed it to "Romance of the Forgotten Kingdom".

Genre: Role-playing
Year: 1995
Developer: Mirinae Software
Publisher: Pantech
Keywords: Fantasy, Medieval
Similar Games: Not sure, are there any that are closer to console style RPGs?
My Rating: 4

Screenshot and further Info:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kor...ae.htm#mangguk

This has some more translated screenshots and also a translation of the original manual:
http://translation.derboo.de/romance.html

derboo 16-10-2013 10:18 PM

New contribution:

Jisaeneun Dal
Developer/Publisher: Pantech
Genre: Action
Keywords: Fantasy, Medieval, Platform, Side Scrolling
Similar Games: Aladdin, Asterix & Obelix, Eracha
Rating: 3

This time I've uploaded it complete with screenshots, a box scan and a short review. There's one possible issue, though: I had to compress the game with 7z, because ordinary zip resulted in a file with several hundred MB, too big for Abandonias file size limit (7z is 22MB).

When this file is posted, Abandonia might be the first website world-wide to host it; at least I've never seen it on Korean abandonware sites. I've once shared a rapidshare link in a forum, but I don't think anyone downloaded it then.

marko river 17-10-2013 09:10 AM

Very interesting. Rare games are always more interesting :)

7zip is OK, we actually changed some of out bigger archives from .zip to .7z in the last year or two.

Is it on CD? Can it be also added to Cellar?

derboo 17-10-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko river (Post 457721)
7zip is OK, we actually changed some of out bigger archives from .zip to .7z in the last year or two.

So should I use 7z every time I have a large difference, say 160MB vs 225MB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko river (Post 457721)
Is it on CD? Can it be also added to Cellar?

Yes, it's an ISO image, even though it seems that most of the data on there is just filler, considering how massive the compression rate is (from 445MB for the uncompressed iso to 22MB)

marko river 17-10-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derboo (Post 457727)
So should I use 7z every time I have a large difference, say 160MB vs 225MB?

Definitely, even if difference is like 20MBs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derboo (Post 457727)
Yes, it's an ISO image, even though it seems that most of the data on there is just filler, considering how massive the compression rate is (from 445MB for the uncompressed iso to 22MB)

Then you can upload it to 3rd party site (like you did for Eojjeonji Joheun Il-i Saenggil Geot Gateun Jeonyeok) and post links in Requests topic in Cellar.

derboo 18-10-2013 06:54 PM

Also uploaded SiEn Art's Barbarian to the FTP:

Barbarian
Developer/Publisher: SiEn Arts
Genre: Action
Keywords: Platform, Side-scrolling
Similar Games: Eracha, Prehistorik, Prehistorik 2, Joe and Mac, Donkey Kong
Rating: 2

Screenshots and info: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kor....htm#barbarian

Krizalid 13-09-2014 10:18 PM

I'm still looking around for some korean games...
especially the pc version of Battle B-daman (구슬대전 배틀 비드맨), any luck with this?

http://1u.pacn.ws/640/PA.31705.001.jpg
Pc cover

The game page from Play-Asia:
http://www.play-asia.com/battle-bead...en-70-ogp.html

I'm specialized for the research of obscure and rare titles :OK:
but the really difficult task is to find korean pc versions of Sengoku Ace and Sengoku Blade/Tengai!

Arringtastic1992 23-07-2018 04:35 AM

Game available

Quote:

Originally Posted by derboo (Post 380420)
Lately, I've been introducing Korean DOS-Games on a site I frequent, HardcoreGaming 101.

http://hg101.proboards.com/index.cgi...ay&thread=5588

I wondered if those might be interesting for Abandonia to host. I understand the site won't have any of the RPGs, but there's a ton of other games that are playable without any language knowledge, and most of these games have been virtually unavailable to western gamers so far.

I figure most of the companies that made them are out of business by now, but I'd offer to check that on a case-by-case basis. I could also provide the necessary informations for the database, and maybe even write some reviews.

How about it?

Is 각개 겹파 (Gakgae Gyeokpa) - IBM PC (February 1994) available? Upload 각개 겹파 (Gakgae Gyeokpa) - IBM PC (February 1994) gameplay video?

marko river 23-07-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arringtastic1992 (Post 482481)
Is 각개 겹파 (Gakgae Gyeokpa) - IBM PC (February 1994) available? Upload 각개 겹파 (Gakgae Gyeokpa) - IBM PC (February 1994) gameplay video?

Hi Arringtastic, and welcome to the site :)

We so not have game or gameplay video of Gakgae Gyeokpa.
If by some chance you can provide game or video, that would be great :)

Smiling Spectre 24-07-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krizalid (Post 460938)
I'm still looking around for some korean games...
especially the pc version of Battle B-daman (구슬대전 배틀 비드맨), any luck with this?

http://1u.pacn.ws/640/PA.31705.001.jpg
Pc cover

The game page from Play-Asia:
http://www.play-asia.com/battle-bead...en-70-ogp.html

As your link clearly shows, this game named not "B-daman", but "Beadman" by author.

Check PM.

Arringtastic1992 29-07-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko river (Post 482485)
Hi Arringtastic, and welcome to the site :)

We so not have game or gameplay video of Gakgae Gyeokpa.
If by some chance you can provide game or video, that would be great :)

Huh? I can’t. Sam Derboo was gonna block me because he doesn’t upload a video gameplay. He doesn’t have YouTube account. Can you hear me? Sorry. Email Sam Derboo for me about 각개 겹파 (Gakgae Gyeokpa).

Mystvan 29-07-2018 01:24 PM

Wow! Nice Korean games here.

Good to know that there are / were more games from Asia than the almost omnipresent Japan.

Arringtastic1992 30-07-2018 03:14 PM

Korean games

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystvan (Post 482510)
Wow! Nice Korean games here.

Good to know that there are / were more games from Asia than the almost omnipresent Japan.

Sam Derboo was gonna block me because he doesn’t upload a video gameplay. He doesn’t have YouTube account. Can you hear me? Sorry. Email Sam Derboo for me about 각개 겹파 (Gakgae Gyeokpa).

Krizalid 23-09-2018 06:48 AM

I highly doubt Sam derboo or whatever still actively cares about whole korean old games preservation anymore, considering he totally abandoned his main topic on hg101 forums, while still commenting on random other topics. The king of korean abandonware abandoned, that 's the brutal reality.

Arringtastic1992 23-09-2018 01:55 PM

email

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krizalid (Post 482794)
I highly doubt Sam derboo or whatever still actively cares about whole korean old games preservation anymore, considering he totally abandoned his main topic on hg101 forums, while still commenting on random other topics. The king of korean abandonware abandoned, that 's the brutal reality.

Email Sam Derboo for me about 각개 겹파 (Gakgae Gyeokpa).

The current time is 03:54 PM (GMT)