Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   can I run 2 dosbox ? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27385)

allthumbs 08-07-2011 02:03 PM

can I run 2 dosbox ?

I have added mount commands to the end of the config file to speed up starting my games, and it has worked wonderfully. I have run into some games that call for specific commands to run them, such as the new CD version of Lands of Lore. Can I download and use a second dosbox program to run the oddball games where I don't use the auto mount commands I have in place on the first version I normally use? Thanks

Expack2 08-07-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allthumbs (Post 430324)
I have added mount commands to the end of the config file to speed up starting my games, and it has worked wonderfully. I have run into some games that call for specific commands to run them, such as the new CD version of Lands of Lore. Can I download and use a second dosbox program to run the oddball games where I don't use the auto mount commands I have in place on the first version I normally use? Thanks

Yes you can! :D Just make sure when you install the second copy of DOSBox that it doesn't install to the same folder as the first copy - it will overwrite the first copy, thus defeating the purpose of having two.

allthumbs 08-07-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Expack2 (Post 430325)
Yes you can! :D Just make sure when you install the second copy of DOSBox that it doesn't install to the same folder as the first copy - it will overwrite the first copy, thus defeating the purpose of having two.

Good point! Thanks!

zirkoni 08-07-2011 02:30 PM

You don't have to install another DOSBox for that, just use a different configuration file. Create a new shortcut for DOSBox and use the -conf parameter to tell dosbox.exe which conf file to use.

The Fifth Horseman 08-07-2011 02:30 PM

You don't need a second copy of DOSBox for that.
Make a duplicate of your normal DOSBox shortcut, then move the [autoexec] portion of your config file to a new config file (it doesn't have to contain anything else).
Now, edit one of the shortcuts and in the "target element" field, add -conf "<location and name of the new config file here>" at the end, after the normal config file.
Now that shortcut will run your automatic mounting, and the other will not.

allthumbs 08-07-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 430330)
You don't need a second copy of DOSBox for that.
Make a duplicate of your normal DOSBox shortcut, then move the [autoexec] portion of your config file to a new config file (it doesn't have to contain anything else).
Now, edit one of the shortcuts and in the "target element" field, add -conf "<location and name of the new config file here>" at the end, after the normal config file.
Now that shortcut will run your automatic mounting, and the other will not.

so I make an additional conf file? I don't understand the "it doesn't have to contain anything else" part

my current shortcut target line end in (-userconf) Base on what you said, then one of the two should end this way (-userconf-conf")?

not sure about the quotations placement

The Fifth Horseman 08-07-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

so I make an additional conf file?
Yes.
Quote:

I don't understand the "it doesn't have to contain anything else" part
Open your original config and cut the part from [autoexec] to the end. Paste that into the new config. Save both files. Done.
-userconf -conf
(space is important) And then after another space, you need the quotation marks (") enclosing the full path and name of your new config file.

allthumbs 08-07-2011 04:06 PM

Thanks for helping!

allthumbs 08-07-2011 10:02 PM

I can't seem to make another config file. Do I copy and paste the file "DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat" ? That doesn't work as I have to name it something else.

Or do I make a vanilla file named "conf" and dump everything from autoexec down into that file? But I can't seem to get that to paste.

Help!!

The Fifth Horseman 08-07-2011 10:36 PM

I'll post a detailed example later.

The current time is 06:00 AM (GMT)