Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Windows Vista Not Compatible With Directx9 (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=8284)

The Niles 02-12-2005 10:28 AM

Not sure where to put this but I felt I had to tell.

Windows Vista will use the new DirectX version 10 and will not be compatible with older versions of DirectX. This means that all games using directX 9 and downwards will not run on Windows Vista. To solve this microsoft has opted to provide emulation support for these versions. This will not be a problem for older games as modern computers are able to handle the emulation on top of the game and still run fast (enough). With newer games though, there is a problem. My computer has enough trouble as it is to run a game like, say, Half Life 2 without having Direct X emulated on top of that. The lack of support at a reasonable speed for recent games might be a reason for people to be hasitant to upgrade to Windows Vista. I sure will not be migrating to the new platform until I can be sure all my games run well on it (at least the newer ones).

duckpatch 02-12-2005 11:01 AM

Maybe we will see software like DirectXBox? :bleh:

Quintopotere 02-12-2005 11:33 AM

Another good reason to wait some "years" to pass to win Vista... :not_ok:

Tulac 02-12-2005 12:16 PM

Idiots...

chickenman 02-12-2005 01:32 PM

I will stay with the older versions of Windows no matter how good Vista gets, Microsoft is just trying to force people to buy there sh*t operating system, it's a complete waste of money if you ask me.

Windows Vista is worse than all the other versions due to it's very high system requirements, and this will be made worse by them trying to emulate DX9, sure it may be a bit more secure but who wants a operating system that will have problems playing DX9 games and such high system requirements.

All Microsoft has done is given it a paint job and fixed a few bugs, also it looks to me they have added a pile of crap that no one wants that will just slow the system down.

Microsoft are digging there own grave with Windows Vista, no one in the right state of mind would use such an operating system, Windows XP was bad enough, my advice is to stick to Windows XP what ever Microsoft do, or dump Microsoft once and for all, use Linux or BSD. ;)

-The Chicken Man

efthimios 02-12-2005 10:20 PM

One more reason to not get Vista.

For some stupid reason this feels like they are trying to kill windows as a gaming platform and just promote XBOX, which of course is not the case, but it just feels like it a bit, just a bit, seriously, yes, aha.

win98 02-12-2005 11:24 PM

I agree but that would be crazy.

duckpatch 02-12-2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by efthimios@Dec 3 2005, 09:20 AM
One more reason to not get Vista.

Quote:

For some stupid reason this feels like they are trying to kill windows as a gaming platform and just promote XBOX, which of course is not the case, but it just feels like it a bit, just a bit, seriously, yes, aha.
I totally agree. Game makers will just concentrate on Mac/Linux if thats the case in 10years time..

Dino 02-12-2005 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chickenman@Dec 2 2005, 03:32 PM
Microsoft are digging there own grave with Windows Vista, no one in the right state of mind would use such an operating system, Windows XP was bad enough, my advice is to stick to Windows XP what ever Microsoft do, or dump Microsoft once and for all, use Linux or BSD.* ;)

-The Chicken Man

Oh god, not again... You got to be kidding.

@ TheNiles: Quite disturbing news. Well, it's still a long way to Vista, so I'll refrain myself from making comments until I actually try it out and see what's with all that DirectX stuff.

SupSuper 03-12-2005 06:19 PM

Wow, as if I needed more reasons to not get Windows Vista. Is there anything actually new about it? So far it just looks like Windows XP with a new paint job.

Also, no matter how crap Vista is, Microsoft will make loads of money off of it like they always have with previous Windows versions. All the pre-installed computers will include Windows Vista, the only Windows you'll find on stores will be Windows Vista, all new software will support Windows Vista and new games will be made for DirectX 10 (so if DirectX 10 is Vista-only, you're stuck with it) so no matter what you do, Microsoft always wins :not_ok:

The current time is 05:09 AM (GMT)