Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which Holiday greeting do you use (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22844)

sgtboat 11-12-2009 05:20 PM

Which Holiday greeting do you use

This is just a quest for knowledge.
How many of you say "merry Christmas"
And how many say the generic "Happy Holidays"

I say Merry Christmas or
Feliz Navidad or
Frohliche Weinnachten (?spelling?)

:rocks:

El Quia 11-12-2009 06:11 PM

In argentina there is no such a big difference between both greetings. In general, people say "Felices Fiestas!" (which can roughly translate as Happy holidays), but when nearer to Christmas, people start using the Merry christmas greeting more and more, until the 25nd, when they start using almost exclusively the Happy new year greeting. Some old school people say Feliz navidad y un prospero año nuevo (merry christmas and a prosperous new year), but they are a minority.

And for myself, I tend more to the Felices Fiestas and the Feliz Año Nuevo kind of greeting, reserving the Feliz Navidad for the 24/25.

Paco 17-12-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtboat (Post 390705)
Frohliche Weinnachten (?spelling?)

Fröhliche Weihnachten.

in different Language.

DarthHelmet86 17-12-2009 12:04 PM

I tend to say Happy Christmas, sometimes with and a Happy New Year. I don't really care what the other person says, Happy Holidays or the Jewish one (I don't know how to spell it.) it's all the same, the meaning is what counts. Wishing that someone else will have a good time over this generaly happy period. To me at least.

Mighty Midget 17-12-2009 01:25 PM

"God Jul" or "Gledelig Jul", or the more lengthy "God/Gledelig Jul og godt nytt år".

arete 17-12-2009 02:00 PM

Oh yes, your heathen norwegian tongue tops it all. I say Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukah, depending. If I liked the French, I might say Joyeux Noel :3:

dosraider 17-12-2009 02:07 PM

"Nen goe utende" will be swell enough.

No translation, sorry, wouldn't know how to translate this.
(Maybe Red knows how to translate this .....? )

Panthro 17-12-2009 05:10 PM

"bah humbug" tends to work for me...

or "merry christmas", if I'm feeling in a good mood.

Though I'm not religious, so I feel the entire season is a bit odd really. Maybe I should start saying "Winter's Greetings!" to people or something...

bobson 17-12-2009 07:22 PM

PL: Wesołych Świąt :)

Same as Merry christmas.

Doubler 18-12-2009 04:01 PM

In Dutch it's pretty much the same as in English, I suppose.

I typically wish people 'prettige feestdagen' (have a nice holiday period), and most people I know seem to use this. It's also the top result on Google :3:

But 'prettige kerstdagen' (have a nice Christmas) is very common too. Usually followed up by 'en een gelukkig nieuwjaar' (and a happy new year).

The current time is 09:03 AM (GMT)