Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Assault Trooper (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4787)

Kon-Tiki 01-05-2005 05:36 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

RituroErganesti 01-05-2005 05:59 PM

The demo of this game had me hooked for ages; awesome find, team!

I agree that this is definitely a brains-over-brawn game. Sure, you can go in with a fully-loaded assault rifle and cause chain explosions left and right, but you're often better served to pick off the guards one at a time, praying you don't make those damn annoying guards dogs privy to your location.

COMMENCE THE DOWNLOADING! :Titan:

hessekopp 01-05-2005 10:00 PM

hmmm. that looks interesting....... i will try it and push the DOWNLOADBUTTON :D

Bernie 01-05-2005 10:53 PM

the handling of the character is way to confusing....

Sharp 02-05-2005 11:38 AM

Hard to grasp controls right at the start but once you actually look at the controls makes it much easier.

Seems very easy to go in most missions with a Kevlar Vest, Shotgun, Grenades and a few medkits. Too easy to run around shooting everyperson you see with a nice shotgun blast, of course those boats are harder, and gun turrets are taken care of with a good grenade.

AI's a bit stupid as they dont seem to realise that after trailing with me with gunfire and I run into a bush and mysteriously dissapear very Metal Gear Solid esque with the guards. However as long as there is a straight line between you and them they seem to be able to shoot you from miles away.

However this is just on Rookie Mode. Gets much harder with the dogs but a shotgun takes care of them.

A fairly fun game though it seems a bit young to be abandonware. (Graphics and Sound is the most likely reason)

TheChosen 02-05-2005 12:07 PM

Good job Timpsi!

Another point for Finland!!! :ok:

Guest 02-05-2005 01:27 PM

thechosen hasnt really seeeen the future he is liaing and I am soooooooo higI am soooooooo high h I am soooooooo high I am soooooooo high I am soooooooo high I am soooooooo high
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: I am soooooooo high

Nosferrath 02-05-2005 05:41 PM

This game is too easy.

accr 03-05-2005 12:23 AM

I'm trying to run it with dosbox, but I couldn't get past the title screen. :tai:

Any Help ?

TheChosen 03-05-2005 05:51 AM

Quote:

thechosen hasnt really seeeen the future he is liaing and I am soooooooo higI am soooooooo high h I am soooooooo high I am soooooooo high I am soooooooo high I am soooooooo high
What does that have do with this game??? :eeeeeh:

Timpsi 03-05-2005 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by accr@May 3 2005, 02:23 AM
I'm trying to run it with dosbox, but I couldn't get past the title screen. :tai:
Increase the operating cycles with Ctrl+12 and give it some time.

Kyntteri 03-05-2005 07:52 AM

In my case it actually runs in XP with no problems whatsoever. No need for DOSBox here.

LOL 03-05-2005 12:16 PM

I played this game when i had my wim 95, and it was guite fun. :ok:

plague 03-05-2005 01:04 PM

I have played this game a long time ago. Nice game but controlling the trooper isn't too well done.

Kearnsy 16-06-2005 04:31 AM

This really is a fun little game.

I like to use the assault rifle, kevlar jacket, nades, medikits.
I think it could be pretty good playing with a little squad over the internet.
Plus having more objectives in one map.

PS: what are your best scores?

Thaluikhain 31-07-2005 04:00 AM

This game is so cool! A few problems though, the map is a bit small, and in your briefing, the extract square is hard to pick from the terrain, being the same colour. Your lil map is a bit confusing too. Gets a bit monotonus after a bit, but..

Seriously cool game, but does anyone actually use all those weapons? Just Uzi or M16 seems to be all you need.

Sharp 01-08-2005 10:33 PM

What are you talking aboot? Shotgun rules. Best thing for taking out those damned dogs as well.

Also you cant go wrong with a satchel charge.

Got to go through a building of 10 heavily armed soldiers to reach a target you have to destroy??? Just walk round the back and a satchel charge will fix it. And a few grenades.

Would be cool if this was an online game, mabye some people with skill and interest could start up a project on it like UFO2000.

Guest 02-08-2005 12:24 PM

Oh yeah the explosives are cool. And grenades to cut wire. I like the Uzi or M16 due to high rate of fire and lots of ammo (ie my accuracy is poor). Keep firing and you'll hit the target eventually. Does anyone use the flamer? Or the bazooka. I mean, the bazookas for killing tanks, which are best avoided.

Cut you cut through wire with your knife? Or walls for that matter? The only time i use the knife is for destroying the transmitters, cabinets and computers when I'm worried about running out of ammo.

Thaluikhain 03-08-2005 08:19 AM

Just finished it on normal level: 1920 points.

What's so good about the shotgun? It weighs as much as the M16, but you get one third the ammo? I prefer the M16 over the Uzi now, because of better range. M16 + 4 lots of ammo = Uzi + 6, in both weight and number of bullets. If you take less reloads the Uzi has more bullets than the same weight of M16 + reloads, otherwise the M16. Uzis have a cool rate of fire, and I would recommend them for inside buildings.

Does anyone take the pistol? Maybe I would as a backup for the bazooka or flamer, but does anyone actaully use them? Does the flamer trigger mines? There's a level where you have to rescue 2 people from a building, and there's a route round the back which is marked with the mines sign, but I burned it out first, and wasn't blown up. Oh, and I hate mines that aren't marked. And vehicles. Vehicles really annoy me.

What's so annoying about the dogs though? I don't find them that hard to kill. I suppose that them moving fast makes it hard to aim, but I use the Uzi or M16 because it hates the rate of fire to make up for my already lousy aim.

I hate when the hostages stand really close to a guard, so you can't shoot them, or the guard shoots them when aiming for you. I also hate when there's a guy surrounded by ammo crates, right next to the documents you have to recover. That only happened once to me, but argh! And whats with the secret tunnel in one of the level? Nowhere else has one. Except in the level with the 2 prisoners I described earlier (I think it's that one), the upper left corner room of the building has a corner you can see and shoot through.

One last thing that annoys me. When you drop the explosives, you can't swap weapons and trigger the bomb later, you have to use it right away (at least when you're carrying more than one explosive).

Thaluikhain 08-08-2005 11:39 AM

Just did it again at hard level, 2286 points. It was hard, but I got through. Never used the pistol, shotgun, flamer or bazooka (or at least never finished a level armed with them :ok: )

Kearnsy 08-08-2005 04:09 PM

im with you on this one Thaluikhain M16 is definatly the way to go. i use M16 (lots of ammo), 2 grenades + a jacket and medikits when i feel lke going in Rambo style. :rifle:

Ps: stealth sucks!!! :rifle: :ph34r:

Sharp 08-08-2005 08:16 PM

If you look at the ammo used with a shotgun and a ammo used when using M16, shotgun can kill more people, shotgun kills in a 1 or 2 hits, quite good for stealty stuff, im not saying the M16 is crap or shouldnt be used, just that shotgun is still a good gun.

Personally though, i seem to use grenades more often then anything else,

Thaluikhain 12-08-2005 02:28 PM

Just finished the game on normal level using the shotgun rather than any other guns (except on a few early levels), 1932 points. Yes, I know this is 12 points more than using the M16 or Uzi, but I put this down to practice. The shotgun comes in handy occasionally, but I think the best thing about it is that you don't need as much ammo, so you can take more of other stuff. Still prefer the other guns generally, though. It's hard to hit fast moving things, like dogs, with it, and loses power at long distances. Handy in close, though.

I find grenades far more useful against walls and fences then people. It's so annoying when you try to throw a grenade around a corner, and it touches the wall and stops, or hits a bush just in front of you and you blow yourself up. I think I might have liked it better if it didn't have a delayed fuse, instead of detonating on impact.

ricecake 23-08-2005 11:01 PM

Hey i uploaded this game onto a friends ancient laptop running win 95 it killed it. We kept getting "Windows could not find SirC32.exe". we narrowed it down to this game and laughed as no other programs would run after that hehe. anyway we fixed it but just thought id mention it.

Next time ill stick to running classic oldies on my trusty old XP ;)

Guest 30-08-2005 07:06 AM

if anyone wants to trade custom maps for this game email me dmtryptamine@hotmail.com. ive got a intense 3 mission campaign nearly done.

Guest 27-12-2005 02:08 PM

Itīs a funny strategic action-game. You can play different missions as elite-soldier (rescue a prisoner, destroy missiles etc.). The graphics arenīt up to date for its time but itīs ok.

WaAn 10-01-2006 04:31 PM

Addictive & fun. I don't need graphics.
ALL HAIL TO ABANDONIA
:king:

:ok:

Thaluikhain 03-02-2006 10:06 AM

2391 points on Hard level.

That destroy documents level in Libya is a real pain. Eventually I got through, by blowing up part of the wall in the room where the left most target is, to avoid that nasty bit where the machine guns in the front entrance can shoot at you as you cross the hall.

And sometimes the game gives you 2 extra medikits for no reason when you are walking around.

People can set of mines on the other side of walls :blink:

Hate gunboats and tanks, but you can kill the gunboat at least. A gunboat came up on me when I was in the water once, do they have a miminum range? And on another Libya mission, got stuck in a hall, couldn't move for some reason, until the tank and a few guys on the other side on the exterior wall suddenly exploded for no reason. Odd

Guest 12-03-2006 03:12 PM

Plz help me :help: where can i download dosbox?

The Fifth Horseman 13-03-2006 03:03 PM

All answered here.

VikyBoy69 04-06-2006 10:32 PM

Fun game! It gets a bit stressing at a moment but it's a fun game

Hyper 23-07-2006 08:28 PM

Hmm it gets stuck when I try to create a new commando, I am on a laptop, OS XP

I have played the game before and it worked fine on my other computer

The Fifth Horseman 25-07-2006 03:39 PM

Try using DosBox.

Morrin 15-11-2006 09:32 AM

Oh man this is SO classic! Heh. So wonderful memories. I remember playing this with my - that time period - school mates, when the ultrageeks played their fancy unreal and so on. :D Althought.. I have to admit that I played unreal later on. :)

Thaluikhain 05-01-2007 03:13 AM

2506 points on hard...using the Uzi.

That documents one in the fortress in Libya was still a pain.

Does anyone use mines? I tend to always seem to have picked up a few.

I killed a dog with a mine once, I was cycling through the weapons to see how many grenades I had (I think in that fortress in Libya), and a dog came round the corner, so I automatically fired...while using mines...the mine goes over its head, and the dog ran backwards a bit and set it off. Lucky, cause I'd otherwise have to use that corridor.

Hmm...in retrospect, it might be useful in the corridor, when 4-5 guys come round the corner.

Oh, killed a pistol guy with a mine...he wandered off around a corner, and I was out of ammo, except for the mine.

Got killed a bit after in both cases...the one in Libya is always hard, and being out of ammo in the other didn't help.

Oh, you can kill people after you "rescue" them...I did that once on purpose, cause I needed a grenade to cut through some wire, and sometimes civilians drop them.

Edit: 2045 on normal with the shotgun...there were plenty of times when I wished I had a "real" weapon this time ^_^

Nice to know grenades take out gunboats and armoured cars...they really annoy me, especially when they are moving around

Killed 5 guys with one grenade once...in a room full of barrels...though I once killed 4 "normally".

If a grenade goes off the map, it explodes automatically, BTW, found that out the hard way.

Mrazerty 07-11-2007 02:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nosferrath @ May 2 2005, 07:41 PM) [snapback]103277[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

This game is too easy.
[/b]
Try the impossible difficulty...my best prestation in this game ever,is that completed lvl1 on this skill! Bow for the almighty God who manages to finish it completely on impossible!!

Holy Paradise 21-06-2008 08:06 PM

I love how if you shoot tables and other inanimate objects they emit a human scream.

Fubb 05-10-2008 08:57 PM

Im just using this game to make maps.

I made a Vietnam style map, but sadly it's not working. I was hoping by placing more commandows and giving them routes, they'd follow those routes. But instead, they jsut ran around in circles and didn't shoot my enemies, destroying my hopes for a Vietnam styled campaign of levels :(

If they followed they're route, and shot back, everything would be fine, but Nooooo, they cant.

So instead im making a Hitman Series, where you have a civilian targt, that has guards, and im making in in public places, such as my first level where you sneak through a town with 2 of his guards patroling, and 1 guard gaurding the front door to his hous,e so you must sneak in the back door and kill him

The current time is 02:23 AM (GMT)