Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Internet Lag? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3864)

TheSmyth 18-03-2005 08:21 AM

If there's anyone else out there like me who has a 56k or above connection and is running xp with sp2 you should check out this site.

http://www.testmy.net

I recently upgraded to a 1mbs connection, and browsing became like lightning, but downloads still didn't seem any faster (25kbs max). I tested my connection at this site, and it showed i was only running at 25% of my potential. But after taking 5 minutes to follow their tips, i was up to 91% and flying!!! (Now i average about 200kbs :ok: )

It's mostly because of a limit SP2 places on the maximum number of connections your pc can make at once. SP2 restricts it to 10 connections at a time, but normally you'd be allowed upto 50,000!

It boosted my online gaming as well. Playing FPS became alot easier. :sniper:

Even if you think your connection is doing just fine, take 20 seconds to try their download test, it might shock you.

Before anyone asks, no i'm not affiliated with that site, in any way. But i just couldn't believe how much of an improvement it made, for the sake of a couple of minutes. :w00t:

Eagle of Fire 18-03-2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

Bottom Line: You are running: 92 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 1.63 second(s)*
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 82.18 % faster than the average for host (cgocable.ca)

Note:Your speed should be within the blue for your connection type. If you score higher... SMILE!

:D

Mad-E-Fact 18-03-2005 10:28 AM

I knew I had to good reason not to get SP2. :D

Morbid_Pathologist 18-03-2005 12:04 PM

blah, SP2 had been the worst idea since WindowsXP (for the sheer fact that it didnt have DOS), it screws up my laptop so badly though, if i install it (long story as to why i had to) the laptop fan goes insane if i do the slightest thing, like play a song or watch a movie, it literally took 20 minutes to completely load up windows, my leet dialup went from 5kb/s to 3kb/s, so after sending much hatemail to microsoft, i deleted SP2, and since then, ive been happy....except for the fact that the damn soundcard doesnt work anymore and needs replacing along with the entire damn motherboard, ahh!

The Niles 18-03-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

It's mostly because of a limit SP2 places on the maximum number of connections your pc can make at once. SP2 restricts it to 10 connections at a time, but normally you'd be allowed upto 50,000!
Here is what I found on this,

Quote:

Windows XP SP2 limits the number of possible TCP connection attempts per second to 10 from an unlimited number in SP1. This can affect performance on server and P2P programs that need to open many outbound connections at the same time. Notes - With the new implementation, if a P2P or some other network program attempts to connect to 100 sites at once, it would only be able to connect to 10 per second, so it would take it 10 seconds to reach all 100. In addition, even though the setting was registry editable in SP1, it is now only possible to edit by changing it directly in the system file tcpip.sys. Keep in mind this is a cap only on incomplete outbound connect attempts per second, not total connections. Servers and P2P programs can definitely be affected by this new limitation. Use the fix as you see fit.
Keep in mind I have no idea how reliable this information is, there are a lot of sites out there that print a lot of none-sence about MS for reasons of their own. Source

On a Dutch forum I trust this problem has been discussed and it does appear real. There are some hacks to lift the restriction but do not attempt this unless you know what you are doing.

N17R0 18-03-2005 01:43 PM

Gotta love campus network when it works. :)
Download: 4.5 stars
Your connection is: 2719 Kbps (about 2.7 Mbps)
You downloaded at: 332 kB/s
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 88.3 % faster than the average for host (bgsu.edu)

Upload: 4.5 stars
Your connection is: 1220 Kbps (about 1.2 Mbps)
You uploaded at: 149 kB/s
Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 100 % of your hosts average (bgsu.edu)

I'll test it at home with my cable network to see how it compares.

TheSmyth 18-03-2005 02:07 PM

I downloaded and used the software that they recommend in the forums over there, and it worked fantastically for me.

The Picard is right though, to fix it you need a hack to replace your tcpip.sys

The program they suggest worked fine for me, and it makes a backup of the file it replaces. So you could always go back if something did happen to go wrong.

DeathDude 18-03-2005 02:37 PM

Hmmm, interesting site, gotta try it when I get back home.

DonCorleone 18-03-2005 03:16 PM

What program did you use? I tried TCP Optimizer from speedguide.net first which was linked by testmy.net. But the result was far from being good. My connection speed was much slower than before.
After that I tried cablenut with settings from vanburen. And it improved my connection speed a little bit. Think I will try the settings for advanced users when I got the time...

But I think I will try being a little more careful in the future... :D

Danny252 18-03-2005 06:43 PM

Upload and Download speed: 7kbps
as usual... well, technically its 7.4, thankyou very much mr. inaccurate site. god.

The current time is 12:58 AM (GMT)