Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Elder Scrolls (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13667)

12turtle12 06-03-2007 12:28 AM

I know they just released Arena for the 10th anniversary, but are they ever going to re-release daggerfall??? I have the box but the discs were stolen a looong time ago. Anybody have any idea when, if ever? Or if they have it maybe I could purchase it eh...?

Tito 06-03-2007 11:48 AM

The fact that they released Arena for free doesn't imply that they are going to do the same with Daggerfall. For now you'll have to look for it in the bargain bin, a second hand purchase or wait for a future compilation that includes it, as I think Bethesda is not selling it anymore. CdAccess neither has it.

gregor 06-03-2007 12:56 PM

Or if you find someone who is willing to share it with you.

12turtle12 11-03-2007 03:00 PM

Okay, gripe first, then reality.

What the heck is it with companies who, leaving no legal access to a game/product, get angry when you go to illegal means (like file sharing on a copyrighted product) to get something that the only way you COULD get it is by trolling flea markets and such. I have been able to find some OLD games and some great games *kudos to the lands of lore rights* in bargain bins, *like tropico go gamecock games!* anyhoo...

Why does a company hold copyrights to a game that they never plan on releasing for purchase anyway? (Like lands of lore, which was only recently released as free/abandon?)

ado 11-03-2007 03:17 PM

that's what i was wondering about too for a long time. it's not like they get much profit from the games either...

anyway, as for daggerfall and its legendary bugginess, was there ever a way to play it so that it wouldn't crash etc? i've heard that it was a painful experience to play it...

Doubler 11-03-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

anyway, as for daggerfall and its legendary bugginess, was there ever a way to play it so that it wouldn't crash etc? i've heard that it was a painful experience to play it...[/b]
Way exaggerated in my (admittedly short) experience. Yes, there were plenty of bugs. Unplayable, or even annoying? Not by a long shot. :D
Many modern games and programs are actually quite a bit worse. The standards aren't quite the same between now and back when Daggerfall was labeled as such, I guess.

Also, apparently there's a couple of other parties besides Bethesda also involved with Daggerfall. For the same reasons many modern programs will be difficult to ever release as freeware, the same goes for Daggerfall.

Tito 12-03-2007 04:22 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ado @ Mar 11 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]282982[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

anyway, as for daggerfall and its legendary bugginess, was there ever a way to play it so that it wouldn't crash etc? i've heard that it was a painful experience to play it...
[/b]
Indeed, it was quite buggy, but official patches made things much better. There was this 213 patch (I think that was the last appearing) which fixed many things.

RyuRanX 12-03-2007 05:33 PM

But even with all patches the game still crashes, but if you save frequently you won't have problems. Also, there is some rare invisible monsters.

mirrorshades 12-03-2007 06:53 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Mar 11 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]282980[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Why does a company hold copyrights to a game that they never plan on releasing for purchase anyway? (Like lands of lore, which was only recently released as free/abandon?)
[/b]
The problem is that copyright gives a company the right to make something available -- or not -- as they choose. It's that "or not" part that causes the problems associated with abandonware. This means that they can never be forced to do anything in particular with a title they hold the copyright to.

It's up to them to decide what they will do. My guess is that Daggerfall has so many problems running on modern machines (even using DOSBox), that they'd rather just keep it to themselves instead of releasing it. Even with no strings attached and no warranties, it looks bad if a company releases a game that will give people trouble.

But... it's out there. Just a matter of finding it.

gregor 13-03-2007 06:22 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mirrorshades @ Mar 12 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]283268[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Mar 11 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]282980[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
The problem is that copyright gives a company the right to make something available -- or not -- as they choose. It's that "or not" part that causes the problems associated with abandonware. This means that they can never be forced to do anything in particular with a title they hold the copyright to.
[/b][/quote]

copyright -> only they have the right to make copies of the product.

you dont' need to be producer but can have copyright. you can buy & transfer copyright.

The current time is 09:04 AM (GMT)