Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Darkseed (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=2974)

Kosta 07-02-2005 11:37 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download

xoopx 07-02-2005 12:06 PM

good game, but tough.
you have to bear in mind there is a strict time limit to complete the game, and you need to be in certain places at the right time for some things to occur. . and do obscure things in the dark world to mirror in the light world. i gave up and used a walkthrough to finish it.

that copy protection bug really caught me out, and i even filed a 'non working' report at the dosbox compatibility thing over it.. but it turns out its some strange quirk of later versions of dosbox where the copy protection comes up green (it should come up with a black screen with text, saying "cracked by (whoever) press enter")

holly 07-02-2005 02:52 PM

help canot play game screen opens then goes blank.

Hunden 07-02-2005 02:59 PM

Holly, maybe that's because you play it in your standart system. Like win98 or winXP. you need the program, you can download under files, called dosbox.

I remember the game, I use to get freaky nightmares because of it, so no way in hell I'm playing it again :P

Mad-E-Fact 07-02-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoopx@Feb 7 2005, 01:06 PM
good game, but tough.
you have to bear in mind there is a strict time limit to complete the game, and you need to be in certain places at the right time for some things to occur. . and do obscure things in the dark world to mirror in the light world.

Yea, that's a pretty realistic approach, but for a game it makes it very hard, when you can f*** up every few mins and have to reload.

unregistered 07-02-2005 04:31 PM

I'm on WinXP. I created a batch file (DS1.BAT) in the game directory
with only the line:

COMMAND /C .\DS.BAT

and used that to start the game in DOSbox, the green screen does not appear.

Of course, you could also use:

%COMSPEC% /C .\DS.BAT

Then, you must make sure that you mount the drive that is referenced by
your %COMSPEC% variable. Just type SET at the DOS prompt to verify.

PeeWeeHerman666 07-02-2005 10:49 PM

Something interesting: Second picture from the bottom, the one with the graves. It appears that the character is remarking that the one gravestone is that of an

"R. Threepwood"....

An homage to good ole Guybrush, or a deliberate death threat, who knows.

xoopx 07-02-2005 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PeeWeeHerman666@Feb 7 2005, 11:49 PM
Something interesting: Second picture from the bottom, the one with the graves. It appears that the character is remarking that the one gravestone is that of an

"R. Threepwood"....

An homage to good ole Guybrush, or a deliberate death threat, who knows.

haha i noticed that too. a lot of the graves have a comment on them if you click them.
it was a nice subtle homage to monkey island... unlike in "the longest journey" which made a bit of a ham-fisted meal of the monkey island references.

wendymaree 08-02-2005 06:29 AM

This is my kind of game. Mwahhh! I've had it among my collection for a while but now I've read your review Reup, I can see what I've been missing.

Justice 08-02-2005 07:59 AM

:cry: well it just dun work for me im under dosbox 0.63 the game starts adn afterh first image comes a tx taht says after the guys nigthmare and puff black out all game just messed up

Reup 08-02-2005 08:36 AM

@wendymaree: I had this when it just came out in the old days, but never finished it then... was rather impressed though with the dark atmosphere, so when I saw it on the list I just ^had^ to review it :) I hope you'll enjoy it!

@justice: are you starting it usign the ds.bat file or one of the executables? You should use the batch-file!

S0llem 08-02-2005 12:22 PM

i think this game sucks hard! :ranting:

Guest_panther_512 09-02-2005 12:36 PM

I wouldn't say that this game sacks.

Despite its flaws Darkseed is a classic and one of the most famous adventures ever.

I remember the time it was publiced, there was no pc gamer ( I think also Amiga owners) that hadn't played this mastepiece.

I remember me and my friends were playing the game, each one on his own computer and trying to see who will finish it first. It is a quite difficult game.

It was very unfortunate that we had to wait 3 years for the sequel. If I am not mistaken, a virus destroyed all the work of Cyberdreams and they had to begin from scratch.

I hope in the near future to see also Darkseed 2 in this incredible site.

Keep up the good work!

:cheers:
:kosta:
:ok:

xoopx 09-02-2005 12:40 PM

the amiga version sucks pretty hard. its in a really low res for some reason

Unknown Hero 09-02-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by S0llem@Feb 8 2005, 02:22 PM
i think this game sucks hard! :ranting:
Too bad you can vote only once! :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

This is a game! :Brain:
I remember playing this game when I was little, and I almost forgot it completely! (never finished it though)

Mr. Barman 10-02-2005 02:47 AM

all i remember about this game were the baby that gets delivered to your doorstep that turns into an alien and back into a human, and buying a gun at the local store. i never knew why i bought the gun but it seemed like a good investement at the time :D

Mad-E-Fact 10-02-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoopx@Feb 9 2005, 01:40 PM
the amiga version sucks pretty hard. its in a really low res for some reason
Yea, they chose some very strange resolution for the Amiga conversion, so they could display more colors I guess. The result was a low refresh rate that was quite hard on they eyes. That was the main reason that kept me from playing this back then. :/

gildedgirth 12-02-2005 08:43 AM

Anyone know how the sequel compares to the original?

xoopx 12-02-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gildedgirth@Feb 12 2005, 09:43 AM
well a review i read said that it isnt as good as the original, so im giving it a miss - even though its probably "okay"

Wanderer 13-02-2005 05:46 PM

Dear gamers

I'm trying to follow the walkthrough instructions but strangely I can't find the crow-bar inside the car boot in the garage after I done all the actions. Perhaps I could repeat the actions in the right sequence?
I have also some troubles with DosBox!! How can I start a game using it? I try to follow the basic instructions to mount the driver but I can't do it properly!!!
Thanks for you help!!!

Take it easy!

THe WAnderer

DonCorleone 13-02-2005 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoopx+Feb 12 2005, 11:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xoopx @ Feb 12 2005, 11:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-gildedgirth@Feb 12 2005, 09:43 AM
well a review i read said that it isnt as good as the original, so im giving it a miss - even though its probably "okay"[/b][/quote]

I tried to play the second part years ago. It came with a gamers magazine and read much about its predecessor. So I thought that it must be just good.
But theren´t much rather than Giger graphics. Don´t understand me wrong. Giger is great. But if I want to have a look on Giger´s art I Just would have a look at artbooks or so. Didn´t need a game for that. Most of all it was terrible that there wasn´t a real good plot of the game. It was just boring.
Think all that is the reason why I never tried the first part and probably never will...

@wanderer: If you want to mount your local c drive Type:

mount c c:

You may add a path like this:

mount c c:\games etc.,etc.....

Think there is a complete help thread on this topic in this forum. Just have a look ;)

Reup 14-02-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wanderer@Feb 13 2005, 07:46 PM
Dear gamers

I'm trying to follow the walkthrough instructions but strangely I can't find the crow-bar inside the car boot in the garage after I done all the actions. Perhaps I could repeat the actions in the right sequence?
I have also some troubles with DosBox!! How can I start a game using it? I try to follow the basic instructions to mount the driver but I can't do it properly!!!
Thanks for you help!!!

Take it easy!

THe WAnderer

If the trunk of the car is open, you have to look at it again. Mike will see a crowbar. After that you can pick it up.

DCillusion 20-02-2005 04:46 AM

I can't get Darkseed to recognize my mouse. All other Dos Apps work with my mouse.

I'm using DosBox 6.3 - has anyone else had this problem?

Mad-E-Fact 20-02-2005 11:56 AM

Mouse works fine for me. Did you set the mouse at the beginning of the game where you can choose mouse/keyboard/joystick control?

DCillusion 20-02-2005 02:32 PM

I did, & I used F10 for a manual mouse lock.

I think there might be a problem with the PS/2 mouse emulation. I know there's a way to switch to a generic mouse driver, but I can't figure out how to do it.

DosBox says just run "Mouse.Exe", & if someone can help me with that I'd appreciate it.

Reup 20-02-2005 03:53 PM

It ran for me with both PS/2 and USB mouse... so I can't help you there :(
Does your mouse work with other games in DOSBox? Or perhaps you should set 'autolock=true' in DOSBox.conf ??? Good luck!

Valisai 21-02-2005 02:29 AM

%COMSPEC% /C .\DS.BAT

Then, you must make sure that you mount the drive that is referenced by
your %COMSPEC% variable. Just type SET at the DOS prompt to verify.

Can someone explain this in more detail?

When I set my Comspec to DS.Bat - DosBox tells me I haven't set any enviornment variables & I STILL get the green screen when Tos.exe loads

agrippa 03-03-2005 08:25 PM

hi ,

something strange happened, i played the game until the end with dosbox, without having any problem. i started it again recently, and just after the first nightmare ( at the very beginning) the screen was covered with "snow" - white numerous lines. and it didn t go any further. no enter or space changed anything. now i m wondering if it is a bad joke from windows xp or the copy protection.but still why just now?

if anyone has an clue, i will be thankfull

cheers

Gejmer Božo 04-04-2005 08:54 AM

Good and atmospheric game, but time limit is too short.

Oldie Goldie 14-05-2005 06:51 PM

Without H.R. Giger there would be no Darkseed. :kosta:
A great game.

Guest 29-06-2005 07:04 PM

Crashes every time after I pick up the phone and talk to the library chick. :ranting:

Reup 30-06-2005 12:33 PM

Yeah... it does that sometimes... try running it without sound and save after the scene!

The Fifth Horseman 30-06-2005 01:39 PM

The game's really, really buggy. Maybe you have not done something before that the game creators expected you to do.

Ronin99 06-09-2005 01:51 PM

Im new to all this emulation thingy and i could do with some help. I used to love playing this game and I need to try and get dosbox to work but im crap with dos and have no idea how to get it working. I am trying to follow the readme but im getting nowhere. Can anyone help?

A. J. Raffles 06-09-2005 02:24 PM

You'll need to be a bit more specific, I'm afraid: What version of Windows are you running, what did you do and what exactly isn't working for you?

Toxik 06-09-2005 03:17 PM

Is it only me or does this game really go really slow even in the dosbox?
also I was playing(i think it was the scene when climbing back on the balcony with the gargoyles)and all of a sudden,(guess what)the game crashed.no error report no nothing
heh Ive seen NES version of this game.only in chinese or something like that i cant really tell the difference.

Ronin99 06-09-2005 07:01 PM

Thanks for replying. Im running Windows XP. When I say im getting nowhere I mean I dont know where to start to even get a game running on dosbox. I got as far as trying to get rid of the Z at the start of the prompt but I cant even get that to work despite following the readme.

A. J. Raffles 06-09-2005 08:42 PM

I'm afraid that unless you tell us what exactly isn't working (i.e. what exactly you're trying to do and which error messages you're getting etc) it's very hard to say what your problem might be. One thing you might try, though, would be to head over to the troubleshooting forum and have a look at some of the DOSBox help threads there. If none of those problems sound like the one you're having, create a new thread about it, but it's probably some very basic thing which is covered there somewhere. For example a common problem is caused by the fact that there's a mistake somewhere in the tutorial where the directory is given as "C:DOSBOX" instead of "C:DOS".

Ronin99 08-09-2005 12:45 AM

I have tried to follow the step by step guide for dosbox but i cant get the exact things to happen. I downloaded Flashback like in the guide and followed all the steps but when it comes to installing the game it just says "illegal command". The guide also shows the FLASH.EXE files in the demo picture but i dont have any of that. Where am I going wrong?

A. J. Raffles 08-09-2005 06:28 AM

Look, this is the Darkseed thread, so we're rapidly getting off-topic here. If you're having problems running Flashback I suggest that you post either in that thread - or, better still, in the troubleshooting forum. To me it sounds like you're having a general DOSBox problem rather than a game-specific problem, so chances of somebody being able to help you will be higher if you post in the troubleshooting forum.

Ronin99 08-09-2005 09:43 AM

DOH! Im not being clear. Was just trying to say that I followed the guide exactly (even downloading flashback when I didnt want it but that wa the game they used for the guide to show you how to use dosbox) and what is supposed to happen is not happening according to the guide.

A. J. Raffles 08-09-2005 09:56 AM

It all sounds as if DOSBox isn't set up correctly. Have you had a look at some of the threads yet? There's this one for example:
http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6134
Also, have you checked whether there might be a folder within the game folder? The game folder has to be located in the CDrive folder of DOSBox, otherwise it won't work. (So it has to be C:DARKSEED rather than C:DARKSEED/DARKSEED, if you see what I mean). Sometimes an additional folder is created when you unzip a game.

Lyncher 30-03-2006 02:44 PM

I cannot get past the intro where the guy has the nightmare. I have tried dosbox vdms, and opening all the executible files, all to no avail...any tips?

LotharGR 26-04-2006 09:32 PM

This Game was the most ... painful gaming experience for me! LOL Yes. Painful

At the time this game released, i had a Amiga 500. I remember that back in those days games with high res graphics were really rare ( 640x480 were high res graphics for 1992 :max: ) and this game got immediate popularity even before it got released because cyberdreams announced that the game would run only in 640X480 since H.R Giger would not accept anything else for his creations.

But there was a problem. The 640x480 res. was a "overscan" resolution for the standard Amiga monitor ( 1084S ). That meant that the monitor could show the game, but with a terrible flicker. It was very painful to the eyes ... :crazy: The only solution was to buy a better monitor but that was a ... expensive solution ^_^

Painful game LOL

Charley W 04-05-2006 12:19 AM

I actually have the cd, picked it up awhile back in a discount store. I'm having the same problem several others are, the game abruptly crashes and kicks me out at the end of the first nightmare. I get the pic of the guy getting his skull drilled, and then a text screen saying he wakes up, and then it's gone and I'm back to Windows. No error mesage, nothing. I tried it a couple of months ago, when I first got the game, and had a similar problem (I think I got to the next picture when he actually wakes up before I got booted.) I'm using Windows XP on a Toshiba laptop, and use DosBox 0.65 (or is that 6.5?, the file says '0.65'). There's PLENTY of memory & hd space, and as I said I'm using an original cd.

angryelk 22-05-2006 06:35 PM

Hello,

After reading the darkseed forum I have found that there are a number of people that are having issues with running the game correctly. I have ran this on a variety of systems and configurations, and would be glad to help anyone out if I am available. Please email me at **email removed. Better create an account if you want people to get in touch with you (Reup)** i also have the yahoo messanger.

Mel

Frodo 23-05-2006 12:38 AM

Angryelk. I don't recommend you leave your email in a public forum.

:)

limegreen 20-07-2006 07:22 PM

Is anyone else having the problem where someone calls you early on in the game and the game just freezes afterwards and goes black? (this happens regularly at this point and at no other time.)

The Fifth Horseman 21-07-2006 03:39 PM

Glitchy game, nuff said. It crashed every 15 minutes on a proper DOS machine I had.

Anima_Russa 02-09-2006 04:29 PM

:sos: Can anyone help me?

Can anyone explain to me how do I use the dosbox to run my game?
I'm really confused with all that dos-command thing!

Thanx!

The Fifth Horseman 04-09-2006 11:12 AM

I recommend you to read the official FAQ on the DosBox site.
Basic Setup and Installation
Command Line
Z instead of C at the command prompt
Internal Programs (important, especially MOUNT)
Most of the stuff in there is not really needed, but you would do best to familiarize yourself with the specific topics I linked to.
The mounting of your DosBox games directory, switching the promt to the emulated C: drive and clearing the screen from previous commands can all be executed from the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf, so you won't have to re-type them every time round.
Frontend programs can help running DosBox with varying configurations for different games.

Guest 04-09-2006 11:12 PM

I remember playing this game. Nice graphics and story but buggy as hell, never finished because of the bugs, not to mention the stupidity of having to be in a place in a exact hour. Too much save-reload for my taste.

Horoma 05-09-2006 11:52 AM

My friend had this game for Mac, and it wasn't buggy at all. Well I did finish it, and I can recommend it. The game atmosphere is simply great. :max:

Guest 09-10-2006 01:36 AM

I got all sound (music, fx) to work but no dialogue is read. Any suggestions? Does this version not include the read dialogue?

The Fifth Horseman 11-10-2006 10:26 AM

That is possible.

Guest 31-10-2006 12:28 AM

I've seen multiple posts with users saying that after the first nightmare the game goes black but I have seen no replies. I have this same problem. I'd really like to play this game. I know the game is buggy but I should be able to get past the first cutscene.

The Fifth Horseman 31-10-2006 11:30 AM

Try changing the sound configuration - wrong sound config might sometimes result in issues like that.

Tara 23-11-2006 02:00 AM

Hi, I know this games old but i just bought it online b/c i remember when i was little my two older sisters used to always play it and it was scary looking but looked fun but i never knew to play bc i was too little. Then eventually my sisters broke the game bi-accident, and we all forgot about it for a while then out of no where it came to my mind...and now im old enough to play and i really want to. Now after giving you that whole lecture on my past, the problem is that everytime i put the disc in nothing comes up... and so i read the inside and it says, 'Dark Seed must be installed onto a hard disk before it can be played. You will need 500k free on your hard disk to install dark seed.' what does that mean??

I would really appreciate it if someone who knows would answer me back please!!

Thank You and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

The Fifth Horseman 23-11-2006 10:22 AM

What system are you using to run the game? What is the size of your HDD?

Guest 18-02-2007 07:32 PM

I used to have the typical start up problem (black or snowey screen right after the animation scene of the first nightmare). But I solved it!

By the way: I've got the 28 MB CD-Rom version of the game.
This is what I did:

1. Copy the entire content of the CD-Rom to a folder, C:\cdrom (contains an install.exe file, two read-me files, and the folder DarkSeed).

2. Using a text editor application to edit the file C:\cdrom\DarkSeed\CDLETTER. By default it reads the letter D, change to C and save.

3. Start DOSBox (I'm using version 0.65) and type:
mount c c:\cdrom
c:
cd darkseed
ds /m
(the /m command brings up the "Select input device" menu before starting the game).

4. Select [1] Mouse.

5. Skip the intro scenes by pressing space.

6. After the animation of the first nightmare, the screen should be all black. Just press the left mouse button when the curser is in the DOSBox game window. Now the game starts. Enjoy :)

And remember to type Alt+Enter to change from window to full screen mode.

The Fifth Horseman 19-02-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

By the way: I've got the 28 MB CD-Rom version of the game.[/b]
Where did you get it from? We might be interested in a copy...

angrynonymous 04-03-2007 04:34 AM

Dark Seed is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. I enjoyed a bunch of adventure games from the early-mid nineties, but this wasn't one of them. Around ten years ago, a friend and I were bent on completing the game because its specific order and time requirements had toyed with us enough. Too many trials and errors led us to a strategy guide for help. Well, one of the lines in the guide read something like, "touch the blah blah on the wall while wearing the gloves." Of course, you had to equip an item first, and Mike was already on his way to whatever was on the wall by the time I realized what the second half of the sentence said. After one of my most memorable video game deaths ever, we shoved the strategy guide in a drawer (I found it recently, actually; that stirred up some bad, old memories) and my CD never saw the light of day again. It was a creative idea for a game, and I'm sure many regard Dark Seed as a wonderful adventure, but my friend and I are not among them.

Geezer 04-03-2007 04:58 AM

I was playing the CD version on a DOS machine and the game crashed when the package was delivered to his door. If I remember correctly the doorbell rings and I go to the door and CRASH. I just gave up at that point.

Angryelk 27-03-2007 03:47 PM

FYI, Its my junk email address, to help provide help to you good people.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frodo @ May 23 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]231786[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Angryelk. I don't recommend you leave your email in a public forum. :-)

:)
[/b]

JProctor666 29-03-2007 10:12 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 8 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]260179[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I got all sound (music, fx) to work but no dialogue is read. Any suggestions? Does this version not include the read dialogue?
[/b]
Yeah, the one that they have up on here is the non-talkie floppy version...I shelled out $5 to get the CD-Rom version at my local used game shop though I'm sure that it's also available on ebay and Amazon.com. The speech REALLY improves the gameplay...I burst out laughing when he said "That sure was some nightmare. It even left me with a MONSTER headache." :wallbash:! LOL

Guest 04-04-2007 09:10 AM

I tried out the directions at the end of page 4 except I am using Version .70 of Dosbox and the D-Fend frontend and it still gives me the snowy screen after the opening moves runs perfectly with sound and everything. I'm using the DS.BAT file with /m as an extension so can choose to use the mouse at the beginning. Anyone have any suggestions?

Guest 13-06-2007 07:52 PM

Hey, I'm having a really hard time getting this game to work. It shows the beginning animation, in which the alien is put in the guy's head. The screen goes black. This is with the START.EXE file; The batch file, DS.BAT, doesn't work. I have sound when I use DOSBox, but I still can't get the game to work.

I fixed the Drive letter under CDLETTER, but still can't get passed the screen. The SAV files don't have any Archiving or Read-Only features enabled either! What am I doing wrong?

_r.u.s.s. 13-06-2007 11:59 PM

'doesnt work'? maybe its just the error message mentioned in readme?

Quote:

Originally posted by Darkseed_info.txt

Dark Seed
1992 Cyberdreams
Version 1.5

Run DS.BAT to start the game.
Ignore the error message after intro movie, just press spacebar.

The game works in Windows XP and possibly other windows versions
with sounds using freely available DOSBox version 0.63 at
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

btw just the pure game without intro is tos.exe
and if you want to run the setup again its ds.bat /m

Analisa 18-06-2007 01:24 PM

I just can't get the gun in the wall after getting out of jail. Please help me. The guard keeps telling me " nice gun... " and I can't pick it up. :sos:

PLEASE HELP thanks

Komandante Krull 22-06-2007 09:55 PM

Hi, sorry my speech if i do strange things with it.

Ive made run this game in Windows XP without problems (using VDMS sound, configuring for sound blaster and mouse) but i cant see the intro movie. The game starts with that man going out of bed.

What could i do to see the intro? Maybe, if i cant see the intro, i cant see the other cinematics of the game. And that is not good at all. Anyone with the same problem?

Thx to all, amigos.

Komandante Krull

Komandante Krull 22-06-2007 10:26 PM

Well, if done some advance.

I was playing using the TOS.exe and VDMS sound, it had soundblaster sound, but not charged Intro and crashed when the man goes out of the house and comes in later. I reconfigured the game, changed the option of Sound Blaster for Pc Speaker, and then tried the DS.Bat. I could see the intro then, and no crashes, but the cality of sound downed.

Any idea to play without DosBox and get the good cuality sound?

Thx, your friend in Mineápolis, Krull.

Guest 22-06-2007 10:29 PM

*Quality, not casuality nor cality.

The Fifth Horseman 25-06-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Any idea to play without DosBox and get the good cuality sound?[/b]
No.

Pella 06-08-2007 03:24 PM

hi there.

new here so please don't be snarky if this question has been asked before. How do I run Darkseed 2 in a window rather than full screen on XP? the reason I'm asking is that I have a widescreen monitor and when I play DS2 the game runs in a tiny corner of the screen and the rest of the screen is black.

many thanks

Guest 07-08-2007 01:06 PM

hi ppl
im having trouble meeting up with that delbert guy that gave me the card after getting out of jail grabbing the gun i go home and wait outside till 6pm like he says but he doesnt show i wait longer still doesnt show i even wait outside from bout 5 pm but nothing ive even waited inside to see if he rings the doorbell is it a glich or is the something im missing or havent done

Pella 07-08-2007 02:19 PM

You're waiting in the wrong place.

you need to be at the side of the house (where the entrance to your garage is, just before you get to the neighbours's back yard)at six

hope that helps

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 7 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]303391[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

hi ppl
im having trouble meeting up with that delbert guy that gave me the card after getting out of jail grabbing the gun i go home and wait outside till 6pm like he says but he doesnt show i wait longer still doesnt show i even wait outside from bout 5 pm but nothing ive even waited inside to see if he rings the doorbell is it a glich or is the something im missing or havent done
[/b]

fab4 27-10-2007 09:14 PM

I bought the cd version of this game back in May of 1997. I couldn't get the game to run so I contacted Cyberdreams, but they were no longer in business. I then contacted the distributor and they provided me with a FAQ sheet which was the only technical information they had available for the game. Fortunately one of the fixes listed there worked for me.

It seems that the files that are created on the hard drive when the game is installed are set to READ ONLY. They should NOT be Read Only. To change the attributes of the files (in DOS) navigate to a command prompt in the directory where you installed Darkseed. Type ATTRIB -R and press the enter key and this should change the files to not read only.

If you have windows on the computer you can change the attributes in windows explorer. Navigate to the directory where Darkseed is installed. Right click on a file in this directory and left click on PROPERTIES. At the bottom of the GENERAL tab is ATTRIBUTES. Clear any check mark in the READ ONLY box then left click on the APPLY button and then left click on the OK button. REPEAT this for ALL the files in the Darkseed installation directory.

Another tip from the FAQ which may help those having problems running the game. Darkseed requires the IRQ of your sound card to be set to 7 if you have the CD version of the game and 5 if you have the floppy disk version of the game.

Hope this information helps those trying to get the game running.

Cloud 04-12-2007 11:36 AM

two things.

first, I found the cd-version here on this site. (link removed)

since its a polish site, I don't know how legal it might be.:p

second, the game keeps freezing when i'm trying to read the newspaper in the attic. music is still playing but when I click on something, nothing happens.

Mighty Midget 04-12-2007 12:00 PM

That site has protected titles for download. Don't post links to warezsites on these forums.

Cloud 04-12-2007 12:12 PM

Okay okay, I'm sorry. Didn't know that.

I thought it would be legal, since Darkseed is abandonware.

Anyway, I still have the file, if you want it, just ask.:)

humorguy 23-03-2008 08:23 PM

xoopx - your slight against The Longest Journey has been noted - your name has gone into the computer.....!!!!

The Fifth Horseman 21-04-2008 01:33 PM

The game has just been updated - enjoy!

ltsajber 21-04-2008 03:45 PM

*tearín my eye* my first update *sniff, sniff* I feel so proud. :)

Barend13 24-04-2008 05:23 PM

hi i've got this new updated dark seed but it always shuts the dosbox window just when i get the first call of the game anyone else have that problem/ know how to fix it?
cheers

Geezer 24-04-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barend13 (Post 324294)
hi i've got this new updated dark seed but it always shuts the dosbox window just when i get the first call of the game anyone else have that problem/ know how to fix it?
cheers

I used to have that problem running the game in pure DOS as well. The game would just exit. Poooof! I think I read somewhere that you have to run the game at a very slow cycle count to fix that problem. Try 1000 or less.

bobinator1992 25-04-2008 07:39 AM

I was wondering, does anybody know the point of that weird "Here Mike, this will explain everything" head-explosion scene your guy's mom does?

The Fifth Horseman 25-04-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

cheers
The game has a tendency to crash in that part.

Sal 27-04-2008 09:20 PM

Dark Seed 1

Hi I need help.... This seems like a great game but when I play it keeps freezing 1. when I answer the phone.2 when I answer the door. 3 when I try to buy the whisky. 4 when I try to give the card to the librarian.. Can anyone help with this /What am I doing wrongly...Thanks Sal:confused:

The Fifth Horseman 28-04-2008 01:32 PM

It seems that the game freaks out when running at max speed in DOSBox, so don't run it at full cycles. Try something like 10000.

Sal 28-04-2008 09:54 PM

Dark Seed

:) Thanks 5th Horseman I'll give it a go and see what happens....Sal

Sal 29-04-2008 09:45 PM

Dark seed 1

:) Hi 5th Horseman....I cut the cycles back as you suggested and this worked only partially. I then went through the game forum and found a suggestion from you ref.sound. You suggested that cutting the sound might help...It did!! ..Can't say the game now works perfectly but at least I can play it.. It does still freeze but I press alt and space bar and then restore and it starts again after a short pause..Not fantastic but playable..I have now completed day 1...Many thanks for your help...SAL

Sal 02-05-2008 09:48 PM

Dark Seed 1

:)Finished the game...quite good but short.. and the ending leaves alot to be desired but I have started DS2. Graphics are wonderful...SAL

Alex24 14-10-2008 07:39 PM

rightside stuck up door into study after mirror on 2th day

:doh::doh::doh: into solution says: "....Go through the mirror to the cocoon
room. Go through the upper right door to the Dark World house lobby. Go left
into the Dark World study. Look at the holograph on the desk. Go through the
door on the right into the lower transporter room and walk into the transport-
er in the center of the screen...." Dowson only repeats one and too, being stuck in a door:"There nothing in this world you could do to open that door",already 100-th time I pass the first and the second days to this place,and STUCK! :doh::doh::doh:
sorry for my english! :oh:

KOSTA if you talk on russian answer on QIP:[BEEEP],NEED HELP!

The Fifth Horseman 14-10-2008 08:37 PM

You're stuck on what is actually a very simple puzzle, except it needs a bit of lateral thinking.
"There nothing in this world you could do to open that door"
Nothing in this world. Do we know of any other worlds?
Yes, we do - the real world, where Dawson's real home is.
Have you noticed that there is a door in a corresponding location in the real world?
Open it and leave it that way.
Then the door in the dark world will open as well.

Alex24 14-10-2008 09:49 PM

Darkseed 1

repeat from solv: "....Go through the
door on the right into the lower transporter room.... " Dowson stay exactly in that point BUT can't go into door,BUT MUST! and only repeat "There nothing in this world you could do to open that door"
screens can't make,play under VDMSound in WinXP

The Fifth Horseman 14-10-2008 10:01 PM

No "but must", please. You've missed one thing and need to go back to the real world to fix it. I've already explained what you need to do. The door cannot be opened in the dark world.
You need to find the secret passage in the house in the real world and leave the door to it open. That will open the door to the transporter room in the dark world.

Quote:

Go through the left door into the study. Pick up the blueprint on the desk.
Look at the blueprint. Point at the right wall and you will open a secret
door. Enter the secret door. Turn around and open the secret door again but
do not go through it. Point at the ladder and go to the upper room. Pick up
the rope. Point at the door in that room to open it. Enter that door and you
will be back in the master bedroom. Turn around and open the secret door
again, but do not go through it.

Alex24 14-10-2008 10:54 PM

your tips don't help

That what you offered,I already done for a long time and checked 100 times! :omg::omg::omg:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/da...eShotId,89904/

Most likely a problem in script,dont know! In room on screen!

Alex24 15-10-2008 04:48 AM

:adminpower:

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: I got it,and undertand what is trouble be,
THANKS for your support The Fifth Horseman ! :withstupid:

Unregistered1 04-01-2009 04:27 PM

cant play

What do you do after you download and unpack it to be able to install or play?????

The Fifth Horseman 04-01-2009 05:06 PM

It's a DOS game, so you'll have to run it in DOSBox.
Here's a beginner's guide.

BurnEdOut 06-07-2009 10:22 PM

DosBOX crash

At first I was having the same trouble that most people mentioned when doing certain things; IE answering the phone or talking to the librarian. Simply turning the sound off in the options menu did away with this issue. However as soon as that was solved a new one appeared. Like someone else said, but doesn't seem to be resolved yet, the game simply exits when I attempt to receive the package at the beginning of the game. I tried reducing the framerate with ctrl+F11 but that didnt seem to have any effect whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

The Fifth Horseman 07-07-2009 06:27 AM

Darkseed is horribly buggy. Run it at a low cycle setting (experiment to find the lowest one at which the game still plays at normal speed), this might help a bit.

But fact is it's terribly crash-happy even on real hardware.

red_avatar 08-07-2009 04:28 AM

I've never had it crash but it does contain some bugs which may prevent you from completing the game - I remember having to pick up keys at one stage and them not being there.

MoleKingQ 31-07-2009 06:59 AM

If you're a fan of Darkseed perhaps you'll enjoy these videos I made showing what would happen if Mike Dawson's house was featured on Cribs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PevGF...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsUpi...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dRxM...eature=channel

Capo 31-07-2009 03:57 PM

Funny XD

Batmanifestdestiny 08-08-2009 11:28 PM

This game is so tense and creepy! I'm tempted to not play in fullscreen :omg:

Jordancyre 25-03-2010 09:25 AM

Take sound off cd?

So maybe kind of random. But i have the original CD version of the game and I am running it on dosbox. the game runs fine but when it accesses the cd for the sound the game slows down a chunk... I was wondering if there is a way to rip the sound off of the cd and tell the game to not use the cd for the sound and direct it to a folder where the sound files are. this was the game does not have to spin the cd or access it to play the dialog or sound.

The Fifth Horseman 25-03-2010 11:59 AM

Make an ISO image of the game (BIN/CUE if the disc contains audio tracks) and use IMGMOUNT to mount it in DOSBox. The emulator will treat it as if it were a normal CD drive, even though all the data is loaded from your hard drive.

guest 10-09-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analisa (Post 287249)
I just can't get the gun in the wall after getting out of jail. Please help me. The guard keeps telling me " nice gun... " and I can't pick it up. :sos:

PLEASE HELP thanks

Same problem than 2 guys have mentionned before.

FEELS BAD MAN..

humanoverclock 29-12-2012 07:46 PM

The black screen of death/no gameplay/no cutscenes

If you guys are having issues getting this game to run in dosbox, the way I got it to work (mind you, i had this game back when it was new)is when you're starting it in dos, do not use darkseed.exe or start.exe to play the game, simply type in DS. so it will look like this [c:\darkseed\ds] - that should allow the cutscenes to play, if you come to an extended black screen after the opening dream sequence, press [ENTER] and wait for game to start. Hope this helps and have fun!

mika 123 17-06-2016 08:38 AM

darkseed wont work with dox box 0.74 win XP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosta (Post 59692)
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download

My darkseed game wont work with dosbox 0.74 and win XP

start OK normally but it hangs after 2 minutes intro.

what i have to do ?

i have original diskettes.

answers can send : what.mika ÄT gmail.com

marko river 22-06-2016 02:57 PM

You have original diskettes? Well, would you make images of them and maybe scan them in the scanner for game's extras?

arete 22-06-2016 06:12 PM

Have you tried the one from abandonia?

slx 03-10-2019 03:47 PM

Please, help me! I do not find the 'Dark Seed Background Manual'. Have any of you got it? Can you share it? Do you know a link to it where I can download it? :cry: It is neither the 'basic manual' nor the 'quick reference guide'! Please, help me!
https://mega.nz/#!F8EhzI7S!dVYmt2vA2...LM0NAHl6LaZuvY

Mystvan 04-10-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slx (Post 484189)

Please, help me! I do not find the 'Dark Seed Background Manual'. Have any of you got it? Can you share it? Do you know a link to it where I can download it? :cry: It is neither the 'basic manual' nor the 'quick reference guide'! Please, help me!
https://mega.nz/#!F8EhzI7S!dVYmt2vA2...LM0NAHl6LaZuvY

It looks like an Impossible Mission... kind of myth, legend, for everyone quotes it and hears about it, but no one sees it... :oh:

Well, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it seems that the Background Manual you are desperately looking for seems to be just a Manual / Background Manual here (Text), here (Background Manual? :dunno:) and here (Hintbook)...

Smiling Spectre 05-10-2019 02:40 PM

Second link is needed manual. It exists in typed form, and matching PDF you linked, Mystvan

slx 05-10-2019 03:51 PM

:smugulon:
I would like to report: the mission has completed! :smile2:
X marks the spot! XD
I was wrong because the info about the background and the characters are in the Hint & Tips book and not in the mentioned Background Manual!
:sneakrete:
:OK:

Mystvan 05-10-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slx (Post 484193)

:smugulon:
I would like to report: the mission has completed! :smile2:
X marks the spot! XD
I was wrong because the info about the background and the characters are in the Hint & Tips book and not in the mentioned Background Manual!
:sneakrete:
:OK:

Checkmate! :clap: Glad the Impossible Mission was finally accomplished! ;)

Thanks for the precious (Gollum! Gollum!) collaboration of Miss Lulu_Jane Marple :lulu: and Air-cule Parrot :braindead:!

:closed:

Mystvan 05-10-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 484192)

Second link is needed manual. It exists in typed form, and matching PDF you linked, Mystvan

Ummm... I know very well it is Bump (I am sorry for this :(), but it is just for you, Grandmaster Spectreman, be aware if notified of my new post. *shrug*

Yes, I agree with you that the Text version of the Manual is the same as the PDF version of the Manual.

However, there are small but fundamental differences between these 02 versions of the Manual. :idea:

It is something similar like the Seven Errors Game (Twinsens Capotain :poke: *salute*, Japodeis :king: and Paco :paco:). The Text version is British while the PDF version may be American.

Another key difference would be that the British version clearly shows that it is the Background Manual while the PDF version is not explicit on this matter (the key word Background Manual).

Another difference would be that the Helpful Hints of the British version is more complete than the PDF version.

There may well be other differences, but I did not try to look for them. :dunno:

slx 06-10-2019 09:06 AM

Sadly, I can not get any of the mentioned British version booklets. :no:
:(

Mystvan 06-10-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slx (Post 484196)

Sadly, I can not get any of the mentioned British version booklets. :no:
:(

I understand your frustration. Since I never own this game on any possible Platforms, what I will say next is just Deduction and Assumption :dunno:, but most likely to be credible, likely, plausible, probable, verisimilar :idea:. Unless someone who knows can answer me and show the correct facts. :OK:

As per the PDF version here and here, Background Manual is only for PC. Both Manuals show the System Requirements for Installation on PC.

The links showing the “British” version here, here and here do not show any System Requirements.

Also, this “British” version seems to be the merger of the Dark Seed Quick Reference Guide for PC and Dark Seed Background Manual for PC.

Thus, I deduce that this “British” version seems to be the Manual for any Platforms (Amiga, Amiga CD32, PlayStation, SEGA Saturn) except for PC (DOS, Windows 3.x).

And apparently the “British” version does not have the Scanned version available, but only the Text version. :( In this case, you could save the Page using Opera (Save as PDF) or using SeaMonkey (Save in MHT / MHTML format).

I think it is worth to save the Pages because the Helpful Hints of the “British” version is more complete than the PC version.

Smiling Spectre 06-10-2019 10:30 PM

Here is another Background Manual... but it's identical by hints. https://www.mocagh.org/miscgame/dark...lt2-manual.pdf

I have no idea from where this typed manual came from. %)

Mystvan 07-10-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 484198)

Here is another Background Manual... but it's identical by hints. https://www.mocagh.org/miscgame/dark...lt2-manual.pdf

I have no idea from where this typed manual came from. %)

I think that another version is very interesting, Grandmaster Spectreman. It confirms that the Basic Manual and Background Manual are the same. :OK:

Another thing, just to clarify. Other browsers such as Google Chrome, Yandex, Microsoft Edge can also save pages as PDF. However, versions of Pages saved as PDF via Browsers mentioned using Print »Save as PDF suck! :sucks:

Only the new Opera can save the Page almost the same as the original Page.

Regarding the MHT / MHTML format, you could use other Browsers to save the Page. However, these Browsers (Opera 12.16.1860 and Internet Explorer on Windows 7) have been discontinued and SeaMonkey would be “the latest discontinued Browser” although it is necessary to install Add-ons to save Page in MHT / MHTML Format. I do not know if Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 lets you save Pages in MHT / MHTML. :dunno:

The current time is 04:10 AM (GMT)