Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old News (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   A Few Bumps In The Road.... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14301)

Kosta 22-05-2007 07:24 PM

Hello everyone. Considering an outage of two days can be considered borderline catastrophic, I decided I had the responsibility to apologize. However, the damage has been done so there is no need to over analyse whose fault it was and what went wrong. It was hosting issues, as usual.

However, there is a brighter side to this post as well, so I will consider this incident a last bump in the road before some cool new things happen. Firstly, by the end of the week the page should reside on new servers. There has been talks about this happening for a while now, but this time its for real. I will be working on it and supervising it personally. The page will be transferred to a cluster of 5 load balanced servers and the increase in speed should be noticeable immediately. The work on this will start tomorrow and will take several days I presume.

Once that is done, there's more exciting things ahead. The page has been the way it is for a while now and it needs a kick in the behind. We require new features, a fresh design and so on. Thankfully, this is something that has been worked on relatively intensively as well for the past 6 months or so. Starting next week I will be working for nearly two months exclusively on this. Entire website will be transfered to Drupal framework and several dozen modules will be custom made for this purpose. Many cool things will be implemented such as a point system for contributions, game browser, tagging, profiles, new RSS feeds, company profiles, a revamped mailing list, better localization options etc etc etc. The list goes on :) I'm hoping it will all be ready by the end of the summer. So, bear with the site in its current state for a little more while and hopefully faster and more exciting times are just around the corner! I will be making posts about the progress made so far here, so be on a lookout for that!

That's all for now! If you have any comments, or suggestions as to what YOU think the site needs most let me know and I might include it into the feature list ;)

Tulac 22-05-2007 09:18 PM

Yay it's back! \o/

Good to see you'll be working more on the site again it's been kind of slow here for a while, will be great to see the redesign and all the cool new features. Will the updating process change drastically?

Geezer 22-05-2007 09:21 PM

:brain:

Great to hear, Kosta. Should be a great summer in Abandonia.

_r.u.s.s. 22-05-2007 09:51 PM

damn! its up again. i think i'm gonna fail on my exams now

GTX2GvO 22-05-2007 10:36 PM

Ah.. Nice..

It's posseble again to see if there are any changes in the ISO Cellar.

:ph34r:

Hmmm...

No new Changes yet.

Lulu_Jane 23-05-2007 03:54 AM

Welcome back Abandonia!

Can't wait to see what magic you come up with Kosta :D

Scatty 23-05-2007 06:17 AM

Well, nice to see Abandonia is up again. It also could certainly use a new design, though I guess we all here got used to this one :P

sev7en 23-05-2007 06:52 AM

Welcome back Abandonia!!! I missed you so much!!! :P

Kosta 23-05-2007 12:33 PM

First milestone has been reached! The website and forums have been moved to the new servers. Hopefully the speed increase is apparent :) I would like you to report if you notice any errors you might see as there will be quite a few until everything is fine-tuned to the new environment! Thanks!

Subach 23-05-2007 04:00 PM

i was thinking what happened now i know welcome back

The current time is 07:28 PM (GMT)