Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Elder Scrolls - Arena, Crashes all the time? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=33492)

PrincessCasey 29-11-2015 10:26 PM

The Elder Scrolls - Arena, Crashes all the time?

Hello everyone.

I'm very interested in playing the first Elder Scrolls game. I know how to use dosbox and I have got it running but I've not yet been able to dig deeply into it because I've had people on the internet tell me that it's really unstable and crashes all the time. I should know by now not to listen to random yahoo's on the internet but you know how it is sometimes they can really stimulate your paranoia!

So I was wondering if anyone has played all the way through Arena using dosbox and if so if they had found the game crashed quite a lot and maybe you could offer me some advice to try and minimise that? I have wondered if the crashes that people are referring to were because they were trying to run it on the hardware they had back in the day and the relative super computing of a modern computer may help to alleviate this. Or maybe there's some super secret commands (aka commands I'm ignorant of) that you can put into dosbox to make the game run better?

Many thanks!

Smiling Spectre 30-11-2015 05:13 AM

I know nothing about secret commands, but Arena was quite stable for me on real hardware, and Daggerfall was only slightly less stable in DOSBox (but I believe, it's Daggerfall fault, not DOSBox). So I think, it's safe to guess that Arena will work good in DOSBox too. :)

yoga 30-11-2015 03:06 PM

Strange

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessCasey (Post 464433)
Hello everyone.

I'm very interested in playing the first Elder Scrolls game. I know how to use dosbox and I have got it running but I've not yet been able to dig deeply into it because I've had people on the internet tell me that it's really unstable and crashes all the time. I should know by now not to listen to random yahoo's on the internet but you know how it is sometimes they can really stimulate your paranoia!

So I was wondering if anyone has played all the way through Arena using dosbox and if so if they had found the game crashed quite a lot and maybe you could offer me some advice to try and minimise that? I have wondered if the crashes that people are referring to were because they were trying to run it on the hardware they had back in the day and the relative super computing of a modern computer may help to alleviate this. Or maybe there's some super secret commands (aka commands I'm ignorant of) that you can put into dosbox to make the game run better?

Many thanks!

Hi,
I played the games Arena and Daggerfall before 4 years.
These nice RPG were very stable and i had no any problem, even my PC
configuration was not brilliant.
Secret commands?
No idea and not used.

..I played all 5 games of Bethesda Games.
For me Arena is the best,
Skyrim is the worst
(no mod used with Skyrim even my friend Capo adviced me).
Mate,
do Your best to run Arena, believe me.
Do not give up!
:smile2:

PrincessCasey 30-11-2015 04:29 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate it.

I think all I can do is give it a go and just wait and see :)

I often wonder though about the general stability of dosbox vs original hardware. I can imagine that it's actually a lot more stable now that I've had a long think about it as programming has really come on so much over the years and these open source programmers are so amazingly talented!

The current time is 02:22 AM (GMT)