Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   LotR games? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=21530)

Surgeon 09-09-2009 10:31 PM

LotR games?

What good Lord of the Rings games do you recommend (e.g. other than the Riders of Rohan which I've tried and liked a bit)?

rabadi 10-09-2009 12:48 AM

Well, lots of people hate it, but I kind of like it, so it is up to you whether you want this suggestion or not: http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...ip-of-the-ring

Maybe I just like the simplicity in its gameplay, and (for that time) the breathtaking panorama depicted in the game graphics.

Vain Vair 10-09-2009 10:51 AM

When I had my Gamecube I had two LOTR based games for it, The Hobbit, and The Third Age. Both are quite fun, I might recommend The Hobbit over the other, It was more action based and less like a Final Fantasy game (Third Age had combat like FF10/X-2) And it's also on the PC. Small thing is I remember beating The Hobbit in about 2 days, while Third Age took me quite a while, however the story of Third Age... Eah, not the best.

Surgeon 10-09-2009 05:45 PM

Action game

I am not looking for a pure action game hack&slash game (by one hero).

I'm interested in strategy, combinations of various types, especially adventure. That's why I was fascinated by the Riders of Rohan, but sadly it's an old and hardly playable game.

kikaz 10-09-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surgeon (Post 382501)

I'm interested in strategy, combinations of various types, especially adventure. That's why I was fascinated by the Riders of Rohan, but sadly it's an old and hardly playable game.

I'm afraid there aren't a whole lot of games that fit that criteria :(
I had a Real-time strategy (2003?) one that was God-awful...

Surgeon 10-09-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikaz (Post 382518)
I'm afraid there aren't a whole lot of games that fit that criteria :(
I had a Real-time strategy (2003?) one that was God-awful...

Was it The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring?

How about any turn-based?

P.S. Too bad this website doesn't have "J. R. R. Tolkien's War in Middle-earth"...

Maxor127 10-09-2009 11:58 PM

War in Middle Earth is decent, although the combat gets boring and in the C64 version at least, if you let the computer decide the battle for you, your special characters would mysteriously die in battle. Also, there are a couple different versions I've seen floating around that have the same name but seem to play differently depending on the system.

I also liked the Hobbit text adventure. It's one of the best text adventures I've ever played, and I was impressed with its smart parser back in the day and its freedom and how the game could play differently each time you play.

I played the Commodore 64 versions for both.

There are a couple LotR rpgs. I think there's a console one (for SNES or Genesis, I think), and those DOS games that I still never got a chance to play based on the books.

Surgeon 11-09-2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxor127 (Post 382524)
War in Middle Earth is decent, although the combat gets boring and in the C64 version at least, if you let the computer decide the battle for you, your special characters would mysteriously die in battle. Also, there are a couple different versions I've seen floating around that have the same name but seem to play differently depending on the system.

I also liked the Hobbit text adventure. It's one of the best text adventures I've ever played, and I was impressed with its smart parser back in the day and its freedom and how the game could play differently each time you play.

I played the Commodore 64 versions for both.

There are a couple LotR rpgs. I think there's a console one (for SNES or Genesis, I think), and those DOS games that I still never got a chance to play based on the books.

I've myself if we consider the new era gaming, found BFME (The Battle for Middle-earth) the top in lotr gaming.

kikaz 11-09-2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surgeon (Post 382501)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surgeon (Post 382526)
I've myself if we consider the new era gaming, found BFME (The Battle for Middle-earth) the top in lotr gaming.

THAT was the one... I really didn't like the controls, and the sound and animation syncing was hilariously off. I couldn't get them to move at any speed beyond almost natural, and even then the models slo-mo ran. Beyond that, it was rather boring and was simply an average RTS with LOTR themed Adventure elements.

Surgeon 11-09-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikaz (Post 382529)
THAT was the one... I really didn't like the controls, and the sound and animation syncing was hilariously off. I couldn't get them to move at any speed beyond almost natural, and even then the models slo-mo ran. Beyond that, it was rather boring and was simply an average RTS with LOTR themed Adventure elements.

Ur, J. R. R. Tolkien's Riders of Rohan or The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth?

The current time is 11:59 PM (GMT)