Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Alternative To Dosbox (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13059)

crazedloon 28-12-2006 08:04 PM

OK, this is just something that popped up into my head. I keep hearing that people have trouble configuring DOSbox to run old DOS programs. I have a laptop running FreeDOS (full installation), that I reserve for DOS programs only including games and music stuff.

I think it's possible to run FreeDOS from a LiveCD (burn the ISO, and pop it in the drive so it boots from CD-ROM), so you could try running your DOS programs through it like that.

If you get any mileage out of this suggestion or it helps you in any way, please send me a link to a good RPG from the old days which isn't already on the site. Thanks

:blink:

catchaserguns 29-12-2006 02:21 AM

But would it run on Windows XP. Windows XP does not have true dos.

InsaneFury 29-12-2006 09:49 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catchaserguns @ Dec 29 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]272707[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

But would it run on Windows XP. Windows XP does not have true dos.
[/b]
Nope, it wouldn't. It would effectively replace Windows XP in the sense that you boot directly into FreeDOS, as oppose to loading Windows XP first.

Don't think FreeDOS is an alternative to DOSbox: it's not. It's more like saying a motorcycle is an alternative for a car: though in both cases it might run your game fine, the hassle and prerequisites to get it working are different for each.

Furthermore, think about having to reserve a partition for the DOS games, since FreeDOS doesn't have native NTFS support, which at all is read-only anyways. So no chance of saving games and editing config files. I'd say stick with DOSbox, unless you know what you are doing. But if you are, you're probably already not running DOSbox, but a FreeDOS/MS-DOS/PC-DOS/Windows 9x variant. ;)

crazedloon 29-12-2006 10:45 PM

What Fury's saying is right. However, I have a laptop running FreeDOS as the main OS and it's good. Very good. So you might want to consider ditching Windows and replacing your OS with FreeDOS just to run DOS stuff (which it does perfectly).

If you don't want to scrap Windows and just want a FreeDOS LiveCD, I still say go ahead and burn the CD, just as long as you get the free Japanese driver for USB support within FreeDOS. This is a complete one-shot solution, and a good one (if you can configure the support for a USB memory stick).

:blink:

Reup 30-12-2006 12:13 PM

There's also a VMWare virtual appliance for FreeDOS, so you can run it without config or install from VMWare player (free download). I haven't tried this particular appliance (yet). I have some good experiences with FreeDOS myself. DOSBox still remains my personal favorite because of the easy sound-blaster emu/setup. In FreeDOS you still have to install drivers and use the SET BLASTER variables etc.

The Fifth Horseman 02-01-2007 11:10 AM

It can also be installed on Virtual PC 2004 (free DL from Microsoft, one of few programs where they actually did something right)

haakjay 05-01-2007 09:51 PM

I have a virtual pc running FreeDOS. Works fine.

Doesn't XP have true dos? If you open cmd and then type command don't you get true dos?

velik_m 06-01-2007 02:42 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 2 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]272989[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It can also be installed on Virtual PC 2004 (free DL from Microsoft, one of few programs where they actually did something right)
[/b]
That's because they didn't write it, they just bought it. :whistling:

JJXB 07-01-2007 03:42 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(velik_m @ Jan 6 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]273587[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 2 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]272989[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
That's because they didn't write it, they just bought it. :whistling:
[/b][/quote]
from connectix if i recall right? (after sony sued connectix to buggery for Connectix Virtual Game Station)

The Fifth Horseman 08-01-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Doesn't XP have true dos?[/b]
No.
Quote:

If you open cmd and then type command don't you get true dos?[/b]
Nope, you don't.

The current time is 04:46 AM (GMT)