Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   yoga Multi OS PC (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28637)

yoga 05-05-2012 12:21 PM

yoga Multi OS PC

Hi, all,

I had a PC with 3 installed OS's:
ME
XP
But XP failed. 2 OS left.
Well, now XP part of disk, I have one disk only in my PC, is empty.
Starting PC I am able to enter ME or 7.
When I enter ME and put XP installation CD in CD_DVD device
I receive message that XP installation is ready to start.
I want to have XP installed on relevant partition E:, but I am afraid that this change in OS manager can damage some file and my usage of 7 will be impossible, what is very bad variant for me. So many games wait me.
KMonster, here I have no save files. (yoga, you have Restore points!):smile2:
The absence of XP is not fatal.
Using Computer Management (Win 7) I am able to enter and see my disk partitions. See below.
Some details:
C: ME, FAT32 – 5.56 GB total, 3.35 GB free, Healthy, System, Active, Primary partition
D: CD_DVD device, Healthy, Primary partition
E: XP, NTFS - 19.53 GB total, 19.41 GB free , Healthy, Logical drive
F: 7, NTFS - 65 GB total, 17.4 GB free,Healthy, Boot, Page file, Logical drive
G: ARCHIVE, NTFS - 63 GB total, 31 GB free, Healthy, Logical drive
I know and may work with Partition programs.

Am I clear or more info is required?

What do You think about this situation? To start or not? Hamlet Q

TY for your Help and Time.

yoga the brave
:max:

The Fifth Horseman 05-05-2012 03:54 PM

How did XP "fail", yoga?

yoga 05-05-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 442211)
How did XP "fail", yoga?

I like the experiments. From time to time I like to test the security of my PC namely:
- for example I de install my anti virus program and watch the behavior of XP.
Once or twice very good till one nice day i entered in my OS manager to find that no more XP..Still i am sure that the reason is not virus(es).
In fact I do not know the correct reason of the XP crash but i do not expect such trouble. Actually till now I feel that XP is stable and safe program...Then, mad at XP i format all the partition XP share.
Now when I enter
The early versions of Windows option (ex-XP and ME) and click on XP, some Dos window appeared stating that some files are missing ..and please restart Windows..)
That is all, dear The Fifth Horseman.
Actually i feel the problem is not easy but uncle Google cannot help now.Anyway i have 2 more operating PC's and ...

Thank You for interest.

The Fifth Horseman 05-05-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Then, mad at XP i format all the partition XP share.
Jesus wept.
What you did is equivalent to losing the keys to your home and deciding that because of that you should blow up the house and then bulldoze it.
You took what could have ben a very minor issue and went on to escalate it into a complete mess.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 442214)
i entered in my OS manager to find that no more XP

There are several reasons it could have vanished from the boot menu, including simple glitches. If it was in boot menu but didn't boot, you could have tried Safe Mode or used the install disc to start the system using Recovery Console.
Quote:

In fact I do not know the correct reason of the XP crash but i do not expect such trouble. Actually till now I feel that XP is stable and safe program...
Could be errors on the HDD. No software will work fine when an important file gets corrupted.
Quote:

Now when I enter The early versions of Windows[/i] option (ex-XP and ME) and click on XP, some Dos window appeared stating that some files are missing ..and please restart Windows..)
Because whatever was wrong before, formatting the partition wiped out any chance of actual repair. Reinstallation is the only option if you want to use XP on that setup.

Yoga, if you did not realise that, and the format was your first response to the problem, you should simply take your PC to a qualified technician, explain what you want done and pay him to do the work for you. It's safer for both you and your PC.

yoga 06-05-2012 05:06 AM

OK

OK.

Thank You, dear The Fifth Horseman for your kind help and time.

Very soon i will improve my video card to 1 GB memory. Together with this improvement i will ask the technician to check the XP problem.

grateful yoga
:D

yoga 09-05-2012 07:08 AM

Hmmm...
What about Virtual machine?

To be fair i am not experienced with this way of installation.
Simply have no practice till now.

Anyway i installed VMware Player.

yoga

dosraider 09-05-2012 08:41 AM

:palm:
I guess that something like this:
http://i50.tinypic.com/28jiptw.png
is a too simple solution?
As much Os'es as you want on one PC, not interfering with each other, no screw ups, no hassle........ ah well.

The Fifth Horseman 09-05-2012 08:48 AM

In a VM, you'll have to install an OS anyway. And there are disadvantages: You won't boot your computer from a VM. It will usually work slower than the OS would when installed on your machine. You will have limited access to some of your hardware - in particular, the graphics card.
As to the exact process, after configuring the virtual machine's parameters you install an OS in it like you would with a real computer. If you ever did the latter, you'll have no problems with the former.

The Fifth Horseman 09-05-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

I guess that something like this:
is a too simple solution?
As much Os'es as you want on one PC, not interfering with each other, no screw ups, no hassle........ ah well.
I've used that solution myself, a while ago. It's valid and far easier to do than multiboot.

Keep in mind though that you should be careful about the temperature: drive racks often don't have particularly good airflow, and you don't want an overheating HDD. :)

dosraider 09-05-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 442278)
Keep in mind though that you should be careful about the temperature: drive racks often don't have particularly good airflow, and you don't want an overheating HDD. :)

Some big extra holes in cover and bottom, an extra 5.25" silent fan mounted horizontally above rack, solved.
All my HD's stay below 30° C.

The current time is 09:56 PM (GMT)