Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Playing Pc Games In 3d (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14191)

Geezer 07-05-2007 03:10 AM

I ran across a guy selling 3D glasses for PC game playing. As I read on he was claiming that there is a driver that can be downloaded and used with the GeForce video card that converts 2D to 3D for many popular titles and that it works well. Anybody ever heard of this? Anyone tried it?

Lulu_Jane 07-05-2007 03:43 AM

"Hi, I'm selling these fine leather jackets..." :D

I'm sure it exists, but it somehow also sounds suspiciously like snake oil to me.

nace 07-05-2007 04:04 AM

A software (driver) that would convert games from 2d to 3d??? :blink: :blink: :blink: I don`t think that that`s possible. I`m not that into programming but wouldn`t that mean that the hole game would change it`s engine to convert from 2d to 3d? Or something like that?

Geezer 07-05-2007 05:05 AM

It sounded suspicious to me too. I'll see if I can find the link.
I think the guy was confused as they are starting to make some popular titles with 3D versions I guess.

Eagle of Fire 07-05-2007 05:18 AM

I work mostly in a mall right now, and in that mall there is those little machines which look like an arcade machine for kids. At that machine, you have small glasses which are red and blue (or is it green?) for the lenses and you're supposed to wear the glasses, put a buck in the machine and "experience" a 3D ride on a roller coaster (very old concept of depth by superposing 2 colors on the screen and hiding each color for one eye).

Now, assuming it's about roughly the same thing... Would it be possible? Extremely easily. However, would it be worth it?

Hell. No.

Geezer 07-05-2007 05:33 AM

Found the link. Ran across while shopping for a new video card.

I remember when the Sega Master System (pre Genesis) first came out I had the wired 3D glasses that plugged into the slot on the back. Used to play 3D Zaxxon and Missile Defense and some others that I have forgotten. With some games it worked very well and others not so great. Zaxxon was the best by far. Of course, those games were designed for 3D and looked like crap without the glasses.

wired 3D glasses

NVidea web site does have a steroscopic 3D driver for free download on GeForce models. Who volunteers? I think it would give me a headache.

TheChosen 07-05-2007 02:54 PM

There was an add on the back of an old gaming magazine which advertised 3D-glasses, and If I remember correctly, the magazine also had a review about those glasses.

Lets see...where did I put that magazine...

peregy 10-05-2007 08:14 PM

not sure,but i remember some years ago playing quake with some sort of glasses and some kind of joystick,and with it u could look around and move by pressing some button...and btw im back after a long time :P,if someone still remembers me :)

_r.u.s.s. 10-05-2007 10:00 PM

on one university in "Brno" (im applying for the scool and was on excursion there) they have this 'glasses thingy'.
you put it on your eyes, get those gloves and use your hands to draw stuff in the space in front of you. like, when you moved left hand, the cursor moved. when right hand, you rotated the space. when you put thumb and middle finger together it begins a line and as you move your hand it draws it; when thumb and pointer, it opened tool panels, etc. etc.
but those were polarised glasses, not just red-green color filter..so you d also need to get some 'hardware stuff'. but man.. it was so cool :D

rlbell 11-05-2007 12:43 AM

They may not have been polarised glasses. A possibility is that they were shuttered goggles. The LCD's in the goggles block one eye, and then the next, in synchronism with the monitor. The monitor cycle between the eyes, showing the apropriate frame when the other eye is blocked by the LCD going opaque.

Given that this technology has been around for over a decade, and the graphics card does a lot of 3D manipulations, it is not beyond possibilty for a simple soft switch in the driver to activate a synch signal for goggles and to show alternate frames. Other methods of splitting the frames are possible, but virtual reality used to be really cool, so it may already be a part of the firmware.

The current time is 06:33 AM (GMT)