Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Firefox suddenly becoming idiotic? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=31185)

Eagle of Fire 20-07-2013 04:07 PM

Firefox suddenly becoming idiotic?

Today I got plagued with a new problem with Firefox: the "Please update your plugins" page which open every single time you open your firefox.

Thing is: my auto update is turned off ever since I got this version of Firefox running and I'm actually running 3.6! This mean that somehow someone at Firefox have the power to be able to make my life miserable simply by turning some idiotic option I don't have on.

I tried to turn it off in about:config but it automatically turn back on every time I open Firefox again. The only workaround I've found was to change the auto update link to about:blank... And even then two tabs open every single time I open Firefox.

If Firefox is getting at this level of retardness then I take it that it is time considering switching to a new browser which actually work the way I want it to... Any suggestions?

IE and Chrome are already out of the question.

MrFlibble 20-07-2013 05:55 PM

You could try Opera, but I've heard the latest version isn't what it used to be.

So try an older version instead.

Tracker 21-07-2013 05:45 AM

I use Firefox v22 and I haven't experienced any browser-related problems yet. :p I used to use Opera but it's a bit slower. My computer also has Chrome which my parents prefer. Not even my parents use Internet Explorer. :D

Scatty 22-07-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 454827)
Today I got plagued with a new problem with Firefox: the "Please update your plugins" page which open every single time you open your firefox.

Thing is: my auto update is turned off ever since I got this version of Firefox running and I'm actually running 3.6! This mean that somehow someone at Firefox have the power to be able to make my life miserable simply by turning some idiotic option I don't have on.

I tried to turn it off in about:config but it automatically turn back on every time I open Firefox again. The only workaround I've found was to change the auto update link to about:blank... And even then two tabs open every single time I open Firefox.

It might just mean that you need to update a JAVA Platform (or Deployment Toolkit if you're using that) plugin which earlier versions of Firefox were using for actually having Java support, and without which most sites probably simply don't work. It's not required anymore in current versions and not used. Maybe some other also, which is responsible for a working website loading.
As far as I know Firefox itself has little to do with it beside the update notice. The browser itself is updated through Help - About Firefox menu topic.

yoga 28-07-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 454827)

If Firefox is getting at this level of retardness then I take it that it is time considering switching to a new browser which actually work the way I want it to... Any suggestions?

IE and Chrome are already out of the question.

:sneaky:
Dear Eagle of Fire,
I do not understand why Chrome is out of the question.

Many years i use Firefox and Chrome. No any complains.
Yes, i stopped IE years ago.

Eagle of Fire 28-07-2013 06:25 PM

This computer is about 13 years old now. Sure, I could download Firefox 22... But it would certainly be as slow as hell.

Quote:

It might just mean that you need to update a JAVA Platform (or Deployment Toolkit if you're using that) plugin
I have this version of Firefox for years... Why the really sudden change?

Also, why can't I change the settings in the about:config? It simply doesn't add up.

Edit: Also, absolutely 0 sites stopped working since then and 0 sites simply stopped working at all. That's certainly not an excuse nor a reason to even consider.

MyVitalRemains 29-07-2013 01:13 AM

Try using Luakit or Midori. :)

Racer63 10-08-2013 10:50 PM

A bit late for suggestions, but try SRWire Iron. With a lean Chrome engine.

Oddbrother 13-08-2013 08:21 AM

Maxthon is a good up-and-comer.

The current time is 02:25 PM (GMT)