Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dominus (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=8766)

Sebatianos 11-01-2006 04:36 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

gregor 11-01-2006 05:19 AM

wow! this one really has nice graphics.

I think i might try it out a bit.
As for the manual, perhaps it woul dbe better to look for walkthrough or FAQ?

Bluntman 11-01-2006 08:19 AM

Never heard of it, this game looks great. I'll check it after work. Thanks for the upload.

Sebatianos 11-01-2006 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gregor@Jan 11 2006, 08:19 AM
wow! this one really has nice graphics.

I think i might try it out a bit.
As for the manual, perhaps it woul dbe better to look for walkthrough or FAQ?

Unfortunately I drew blanks (no matter what I looked for). Theonly site that has a manual is in Russian (in cyrilic alphabet) and thesy apperently lost it when moving from the old server tot he new one (my Russian let's me browse the site, but I can't say 100% what's wrong). I can't get the manual though :wall:

Mongi 11-01-2006 10:24 AM

Good game! Definetly worthy of being on that glorious site!

One unfortunate thing I remember is that there are copy-protection questions, which appear not straight from the start. Is this version cracked?

Sebatianos 11-01-2006 10:51 AM

Well I played the game for a bit over a week (like it a lot) and I haven't encountered any (but I've been saving and restarting a lot) - I think it's cracked (but I'm not sure).

SirPeter 11-01-2006 01:54 PM

Great game although it used to crash allot in the old dos days so im gonna try it again and see if I still like it :)

Ps anybody else get the spyware popup about a warning on your pc when trying to download the game or is it just me?
(was after clicking the add search by lycos)

*edit
Ok first game crash, so it wasn't my pc's fault back then either.

punch999 11-01-2006 01:55 PM

Just you.

Bele 11-01-2006 02:09 PM

I have the english manual at home but I don´t have a scanner or something like that so I guess it doesn´t matter.

bruno 11-01-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bele@Jan 11 2006, 04:09 PM
I have the english manual at home but I don´t have a scanner or something like that so I guess it doesn´t matter.
You can try to find a way to sending is to Abandonia.... :D

Guest_Dannighe 11-01-2006 03:09 PM

I can't get it to work, keeps saying it can't install. :wall:

SirPeter 11-01-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest_Dannighe@Jan 11 2006, 04:09 PM
Dom.bat is the file you want.
(in dosbox ofcourse)

Guest_Dannighe 11-01-2006 03:28 PM

I never have been able to figure out dosbox.

RPGmaster 11-01-2006 03:31 PM

I got a problem with my fullscreen
its like I miss a peace of the right side
like ... in the beginning when it says copyright
i can se the first 2 numbers at the year ... :ranting:

And I really want to play this game because it rules ...
but now I cant because I cant see the optionmenu on the right side :s :cry:

canj anyone pls give me a copy of your DOSbox CONF-file so I can
see if there is something that isnt right in mine xD

Thnks in beforehand

Dannighe 11-01-2006 03:37 PM

How exactly do I get the file to work, I try to get it to work in Dosbox, and it says it isn't valid.

old school 11-01-2006 03:48 PM

The game works great, but how do I save and load...

Also, how do I recriut more monsters????

Please help, I realy got hocked here

SirPeter 11-01-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dannighe@Jan 11 2006, 04:37 PM
How exactly do I get the file to work, I try to get it to work in Dosbox, and it says it isn't valid.
Open dosbox. Then type:
- Mount c <your drive were the game is on>
Example:
Mount c j:/

- type c:/
- type cd <directory>
- then type the file you want to load.

Example in my case:
Mount c j:/
c:
cd oldgam~1
cd dominus
cd dominus
dom.bat

Annie 11-01-2006 04:02 PM

I've got something lieke a manuel for this game, because I've got the original game... but it's written in german... :sniper:

SirPeter 11-01-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RPGmaster@Jan 11 2006, 04:31 PM
I got a problem with my fullscreen
its like I miss a peace of the right side
like ... in the beginning when it says copyright
i can se the first 2 numbers at the year ... :ranting:

And I really want to play this game because it rules ...
but now I cant because I cant see the optionmenu on the right side :s :cry:

canj anyone pls give me a copy of your DOSbox CONF-file so I can
see if there is something that isnt right in mine xD

Thnks in beforehand

Maybe you need to change the fullresolution settings in the .conf file to your current computer resolution settings.

RPGmaster 11-01-2006 04:19 PM

SirPeter:
Yes I have tried that ...
I have in fact tried ALL resolutions =_=

Dannighe 11-01-2006 04:38 PM

Thanks SirPeter! I finally managed to do it, I think I sorta get dosbox now.

NM 11-01-2006 04:39 PM

I loved this game when it come out (diskette version). But the real time kills what could have been a great classic. The time never stops even when you are in the castel making traps, spells, interrogating enemies, etc.

In the easiest level you can still manage things, but on hardest settings you'll have your hands full and no time to react. Remember not all armies are interested in your castel, some are just passing by or collecting resources. The easiest way to have more soldiers is either to capture them with traps or with a duplicate spell when in battle. In one memorable game I was able to produce a super monster by combining others, then duplicated him in battle. Dont forget to send some of your army collecting things.

And in the interrogation/torture room you have to remember different enemies react to different ways of interrogation. Sometimes torture its not the best way to gather information. If you fight inside your castle there are multiple levels, but the ultimate goal is to protect your throne.

Could have been a great game and I have good memories of it, but the real time is what really kills this one.

Bluntman 11-01-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Annie@Jan 11 2006, 05:02 PM
I've got something lieke a manuel for this game, because I've got the original game... but it's written in german... :sniper:
That's fantastic yo, since I'm able to understand that :w00t:

Sebatianos 11-01-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Annie@Jan 11 2006, 07:02 PM
I've got something lieke a manuel for this game, because I've got the original game... but it's written in german...* :sniper:
No problem. I'll translate it to English. Can you please scan it (you can upload it to abandonia or send it to me by e-mail: SOMETHING@SOMETHING.co.uk). I'd really be greatful!

---
edit: removed eMail address ...

RPGmaster 11-01-2006 07:35 PM

So is there anyone that can PM me the
DOSbox CONF-file ??
just a quick copy-paste story xD
pls

:ok:

Mambaru 11-01-2006 11:17 PM

I'll have a dig around in my games cd collection as I swear that I have the manual in english and as a PDF. Could be txt don't fully remember.

Annie 12-01-2006 03:43 AM

I've just sent the manual away! Look für your e-mails... It's the manual of the cd version.

Bluntman 12-01-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Annie@Jan 12 2006, 04:43 AM
I've just sent the manual away! Look für your e-mails... It's the manual of the cd version.
That's great Annie, thank you. The game is very hard without a manual...

Sebatianos:
Is it possible to make the German version of the manual available, too?

gregor 12-01-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NM@Jan 11 2006, 05:39 PM

Could have been a great game and I have good memories of it, but the real time is what really kills this one.

i bet it's because it's not really realtime - but someaccelerated version that is too accelerated.

RPGmaster 12-01-2006 11:16 AM

Hello again xD
well I managed to get the game to run at fullscreen and show all the screen xD
Well I started playin the game ...
Very good game
alot of fun xD And I like the Monster-mixing-chamber ... ^^ <--- Teh mad science :w00t:

anyway .. the I messed around with the game trying to master it without the
manual ... Im good at that ... manuals are for mortals xD
anyway ... when I was fooling around at the best .. the game just stuck ...
freeze frame ... I started to cry (not completly true) becasue I hadnt saved teh game T_T... I stared the game ... again ... and did the first invade "scenario" over again ...
I totaly pwned them ... again xD (playing on lord) :Titan:
and then after i got some monsters with my leet traps ... and was going to the mix-chamber again ...
game freeze ,.,,, I was like WTF
restarted .. did the invasion again ... and now it froze up just when I was about the finnish them of ..

SOOO! the point xD (finaly) Is it just me who get this loooods of frame freezing?
Because this game RULES and I want to play it NON-stop xD :evil:

Sebatianos 12-01-2006 11:59 AM

Well, I just recieved the German manual *Thanks you Anne :kosta: :tnx: :kosta: * and I'll post the German manual right away, but you'll have to wait a while for the english version (it will take me some time to translate).

Virtz 12-01-2006 01:17 PM

The game is rather easy to get ahold of without a manual if ye ask me. I could grasp it as a 9-year old barely knowing english the first time I played, but somehow even managed to figure out how to mix creatures. If you insist, though, you can get the manual from www.the-underdogs.org.

Once you figure it out, it's no challenge with certain exploits figured out (atleast on easiest). I finished it without loosing a single monster simply by telling my generals to collect resources for traps and build them and so I finished off all the hordes by placing traps under their feet. Cheap, don't recommend it. :P

And btw. error in review, you CAN control your character in battle. Point where to go and hold a cursor key (rather strange method, though) and use mouse clicks to either attack with the mace or launch fireballs. Gotta watch it since enemy mages will teleport everyone to your area and once your character is dead, it's game over.

Virtz 12-01-2006 01:21 PM

Correction, there is no manual at the-underdogs.org after all. Thought they had one for everything. :\

Sebatianos 12-01-2006 03:32 PM

Well, there is one here, now, thanks to Anne. At the moment it's only in German, but I got 1/3 of it translated already, so have a little patience (and trust me, I know about the home of underdogs and various other sites offering games, having manuals, posting game FAQs and hints...).

Oh, to answer the GAME SAVE question from before:

Quote:

Saving a game:
Press ESCAPE and you’ll return to the main menu. Click save there. You can save up to 5 different possitions. The message should appeare 'Game saved successfully'.

Bluntman 12-01-2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 12 2006, 12:59 PM
*Thanks you Anne :kosta:* :tnx:* :kosta: * and I'll post the German manual right away
Good looks Sebatianos, now it'll be way easier :ok:

Sebatianos 12-01-2006 06:29 PM

Well, I'm done for the day. Unfortunately the entire manual is not yet translated, but you can get what I got so far (it's a bit more then half). Hope it helps thus far. I don't know when I'll finish (I'm off for the weekend tomorrow), so it will probably be sometime next week. If anybody feels like finishing the translation - they're most welcome to do that.

Dominus manual - ENGLISH (not fully translated yet)

Dark Piedone 12-01-2006 06:31 PM

:help: I can't play the game, it says I don't have enough lower memory or some files are missing... What can I do ? :help:

Mongi 13-01-2006 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 12 2006, 07:29 PM
Well, I'm done for the day. Unfortunately the entire manual is not yet translated, but you can get what I got so far (it's a bit more then half). Hope it helps thus far. I don't know when I'll finish (I'm off for the weekend tomorrow), so it will probably be sometime next week. If anybody feels like finishing the translation - they're most welcome to do that.

Dominus manual - ENGLISH (not fully translated yet)

:ot: Just a bit of professional interest:) How many languages are you working with as an interpreter/translator, Sebatianos?

Mambaru 13-01-2006 06:18 PM

There is one thing which I do remember about this game. That is that there is no point in making a perfect note of what each of the columns takes from the creatures that you place on them.

Each of the columns takes a trait/stat from the creature that you put on it. But each time you start a new game it randomises which stat is taken. Which is great from a replay-ability point but not so if you finally figure out how to make an UBER monster. Only to find that it does not work on the next game!

I also remember that Peter Molyneux once said that Dominus was one of the games that inspired him to make Dungeon Keeper. And they are a little bit similar.

Mambaru 13-01-2006 08:44 PM

No RPG Master your not the only one. It seems to be doing the same thing to me as well. I'll tweak around with D-fend and see if that helps. Could be sound related?

Nature Boy 14-01-2006 03:50 PM

wicked game, but does anyone know what's the point of some of the info you can extract from spying and interrogating monsters?
Some elements of the game can be pretty confusing :crazy:

It actually reminds me a bit of The Horde, which i prefer actually, so anyone who hasn't played that then grab it off this site :ok:

Mambaru 14-01-2006 04:15 PM

Well a lot of the information that you get from the creatures is not really of much use. But it adds to the overall experience of the game.

What you’re really looking for is magic users. Hence the reason behind asking for their RANK. If you happen to come across one then you'll have the option of asking if they know of any secret spells.

Most of the time they do but its name and one ingredient for it. Get enough information from several magic users. And then you'll have the complete spell. Either that or just get one of the elements and then guess the other two and their order! :w00t:

Another good game to look out for in a similar area is Dragon Lord.

........ 15-01-2006 12:52 PM

How can i get people in my jail, so I can do little :evil: interrogation thingys :evil: ??

Guest 15-01-2006 01:23 PM

Traps, traps, traps. That's the easy way to get prisoners ;)

Mambaru 15-01-2006 02:24 PM

Or cast a NET spell on them.

laiocfar 16-01-2006 04:38 AM

Quote:

I can't play the game, it says I don't have enough lower memory or some files are missing... What can I do ?
USE DOSBOX :tomato:

about, the game i can move the main character when going to battle and inside interrogation room i can´t their ranks at least. U must know that all war prisioner must give to their captors: their name, their unit and their RANK. I am torturing them and dont wanna giveme the rank... :ranting:

Thaluikhain 16-01-2006 06:26 AM

What do you do when you try to install it and it asks for your source disk drive?

Swarog 16-01-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thaluikhain@Jan 16 2006, 07:26 AM
What do you do when you try to install it and it asks for your source disk drive?
There's no need to run the install program. Once you've unpacked it and started up your dosbox its ready to run. just type 'dom'.

Guest 18-01-2006 06:20 AM

WOW GREAT GAME!!!
Not that much chalenge though, you'll learn soon how to win even on overlord difficulty. Without even using you monsters for fighting.
Plot is cool. Some armies invade cause they are led by noble reasons.
They came to bring peace and democracy on your land :angel:
Interogation. :w00t:
You can get a lot of information you need from there (you can send spyes, but spyes can be killed). First find answers on most of questionsns (only once, this information will be saved). Then just check their ranks.
If they are fighters or scouts send them to the kenels imideatly(after that they will fight on your side and you can use them to gather resourses or in your evil experiments :bleh: ). So it is clever to take many prisoners, you will increase your work pool.
If they are mages, don't throw them away untill they give you some spell components ideas.
If these are leaders or commanders you can sign a PEACE TREATY! You have to find what did they need or who is their enemy and use it .... diplomacy.. geopolitics..
Or you can just kill'em all and show the Realm who is Master and who is Bitch
Use traps wisely
Drop them in front of moving troops, HECK throw them in moving crowds BLADES it works fine
When most part of company is destroyed you can charge them yourself, show them might of your mace, burn them with fireballs, or maybe you have enough guts to rip whole company alone?!
WOW i really like this game
And on easier levels some invaders coming with PEACE MISSION so don't whack everybody in your sight.. talk.. torture.. get information..
And save a lot. Cause game crashes sometimes...

schmeicheltier 20-01-2006 10:02 AM

Hello,

i have a problem when trying to start the game in Dos Box. There always appears the following message: "Not enough lower memory to run Dominus". What can i do?

A quite similar problem appears by another game named Master of Magic. Every time i`m told that "You must have at least 2700K of expanded memory".

My computer has 128MB Ram, so where is the problem??

Sebatianos 20-01-2006 10:11 AM

Try the command "loadfix". Just use this command before running the game.

schmeicheltier 20-01-2006 10:27 AM

where should i write this command? In Dos Box the computer doesn't know it.

Sebatianos 20-01-2006 12:10 PM

That's odd. When I start DOSBox I simply type "loadfix" and that's it. Which version of DOSBox are you using (maybe that's it).

Guest 20-01-2006 10:28 PM

How i can Ally With the other Clans? the Bird ones say that if i give em resources they'll ally me but i dont kno how and the manual... well i dont know German

Sebatianos 21-01-2006 06:36 AM

Well, I just finished translating the manual (and added it to the site), but unfortunately there was only one reference to diplomacy. It only says that you can win the game by deefeating all the clans or if you're extremely skilled at negotiations. It doesn't say anything about how you give stuff to clans (I assume if you agree to their demands, they'll take the stuff themselves and you won't try to stop them).

Abi79 21-01-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by laiocfar@Jan 16 2006, 07:38 AM
Quote:

I can't play the game, it says I don't have enough lower memory or some files are missing... What can I do ?
USE DOSBOX :tomato:

I remember that Dark Piedone has Windows 98, not Windows XP, so... :(

Piedone, could you please take a screenshot of your error and post it here? Since I'm using Windows 98, I could help you :cheers:

Dark Piedone 21-01-2006 07:50 PM

Here is the screenshot:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...edone/jazz.jpg

laiocfar 22-01-2006 05:54 AM

Tryed Dos-Box?

And many thanks to traducers by their work :kosta: :kosta: :kosta:

Abi79 22-01-2006 07:24 AM

I doubt that DOSBox runs on Windows 98 (the last time I tried, it didn't)

@Dark Piedone: I'll download the game and see what happens.

EDIT: The same thing happened to me. :( I also tried running the game in MS-DOS. I got an error which said that there is an error ( :P ) in DOS4/GW. Then lots of weird numbers started appearing on the screen and my computer exited MS-DOS automatically.

Sebatianos 22-01-2006 09:03 AM

I remember my old computer doing things like that (not letting me play some DOS games after having Win 95).

Try this - when the computer starts booting up press F8 (now you'll go to step by step confirmation of the boot-up). I think you shouldn't run the Hi-mem (but I'm not quite sure). It should work, just make sure you start in MS-DOS with the right memory settings and not in Windows and then exit to DOS.

laiocfar 23-01-2006 05:31 AM

I am running Dominus on Dosbox on Win 98...
We are all talking of Dosbox 0.63 version?

Peter VA 23-01-2006 10:36 PM

I was able to finifh game on overlord difficulty withous single creature dying.
I negotiated peace with all parties. :cheers:
You have to capture many prisoners, learn what each party want or who is their enemy or ally.
Then if you have commander or leader among your prisoners you can make a deal with him.

Guest_Mike 05-02-2006 07:26 PM

Look i have this game for years and i never could it make it work...always when is going to start it get back to windows..i can't even see the game title...can someone know what's going on???? I have Windows XP....please can someon e help me???

laiocfar 06-02-2006 12:13 AM

Donwload dosbox and learn to use it, them run Dominus in Dosbox. :max:

Guest_Mike 06-02-2006 06:12 PM

I had try that over a million of times.....but millions....whne it has to star it goes abck to DOS

laiocfar 09-02-2006 05:17 AM

Try the command "loadfix". Anyway all my limited wisdom ends in win98. =(

Georg 15-02-2006 11:34 AM

I'm really having trouble getting it to work in DosBox, I've never used it before and have no idea what i'm doing.

I tried the little guide that was posted a few pages back here, but i can't get it to work either. Probably because i dont know how to type : <-- in Dosbox, which buttons is it?

Frankly, I could use a complete Newbie guide explaining as detailed as possible.

Please. :]

marko river 15-02-2006 12:12 PM

Finally.
I wasn't here for a while, so i just discovered this game on site. I asked for this one months ago. It seems to be very interesting.

I somehow managed to get my hands on PC Gamer from 1994 when this game was published. I read about it and craved to play it, but managed only to get demo version.

I realized that game don't have everything to become true calssic, but still it seems to be quite original. I can't wait to finally play it.

Kalvaer 17-02-2006 10:37 AM

For those running win 98, I messed around some and got it to work by doing the following:

Change your config.sys file to look

DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys
Device=C:\WINDOWS\emm386.exe 4096

Remove everything out of your autoexec.bat file other than your DOS mouse driver as it will be required for play (it might also be in your config.sys file and if I remember right you can change it to be "devicehigh=" etc to load it in high memory)

Boot up and hit f8
Got to step by step
Dont run any of the system files that it askes for (ie: hit N) other than the config.sys file, and the mouse driver file in your autoexec.bat
Dont load windows.

I disabled sound for mine but if you have the Dos settings for your sound card, you can try running them

Change directory to where the game is saved
Type Dom.

Or of course just make a boot disk to do it all with the above config.sys file and autoexec.bat

Hope that helps

Orkimedes 19-04-2006 01:25 PM

I have many fond memries of this game but when I tried to install my store bought version it didn't work so I downloaded the abandonware. Either I am really bad at dosbox or the game doesn't work for me :(

I fail to see how you install the game or if you can run the game without installing. During the installation nothing seems to work when you have to enter source disk.
For some reason it starts on the Z drive(of which I have none) everytime I start it even though I did like the tutorial said and changed the start settings.
Also in dosbox my keyboard doesn't give the intended symbols so I cannot find "\" and ":" !!!

This seriously sucks since I really wanted to play the game again.

please excuse my bad grammar

laiocfar 19-04-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

I fail to see how you install the game or if you can run the game without installing. During the installation nothing seems to work when you have to enter source disk.
For some reason it starts on the Z drive(of which I have none) everytime I start it even though I did like the tutorial said and changed the start settings.
Also in dosbox my keyboard doesn't give the intended symbols so I cannot find "\" and ":" !!!

This seriously sucks since I really wanted to play the game again.

dont worry by z: you should write "mount f: c:\folder with the game", f could be any letter. Then move as pure DOS --> Z:> f: (enter) and in f:> file.exe (enter)
The problem of keys is by keyboard configuration ":" are ALT + 58, and the "\" i got it in the key near the right shift, it comes along another symbol like \- , so erarse the "-" and keep the bar.

Aberu 01-05-2006 10:09 PM

I used to own this game. I got rid of it because somehow the floppies got corrupted and each time I installed it, it just wouldn't finish installing. I always kept it in the case too. Was such a great game. Also had a weird error on my first computer where it would just randomly lock up. That's like every game, but it was almost consistently at some point, and I can't remember what it was.

Sunstreaker 20-10-2006 07:34 PM

I used to own this game also, and absolutely loved it. So glad I found it here. But one thing I remembered was that it had some pretty good BG music when loaded from the CD-ROM. Does anyone here still have the CD-ROM, and if so, would they be so kind as to post some .mp3s?

Thraymn 02-04-2007 07:31 PM

Game keeps crashing when loading new game... is there any way around this?

tried the loadfix, it did run properly, but game still crashed

Guest 16-04-2007 01:48 PM

I have the same trouble as Thraymn.
When i select "new game" it goes back to dosbox and says "loading dominus..." shortly after that i get kicked back to the desktop with no messages.

I noticed that there seems to be an errror message in dosbox status window

"exit to error: dyncore: illeagal option in dyn_segprefix"

Anyone have a clue on what this might be?

The Fifth Horseman 16-04-2007 03:26 PM

Sounds like a Dynamic Core-caused crash. Open up DosBox.conf and find the line starting with "core=". Change that line to "core=normal".

Sniff 17-04-2007 09:25 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Apr 16 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]287173[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Sounds like a Dynamic Core-caused crash. Open up DosBox.conf and find the line starting with "core=". Change that line to "core=normal".
[/b]

Thanks for the speedy response, it worked perfectly :ok:

Kruse 01-05-2007 09:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sniff @ Apr 17 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]287267[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Apr 16 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]287173[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]

Thanks for the speedy response, it worked perfectly :ok:
[/b][/quote]

If that doesn't work (it didn't on mine) set it to simple

Guest 19-06-2007 12:49 PM

Good game!

How do you get the leaders to admit that they are leaders? I keep asking other monsters what the leader of their clans name is, they all say Koltix, yet when I interigate Koltix he says he's a scout? Is he fooling me or is this a game fault?

Guest 10-07-2007 07:19 PM

it says: "not enough low memory"... well, i don`t know what that exactly means, and i don`t speak english very well, can anybody help me? i really want to play this game, i love the idea or torturing and mixing creatures :whistling:

_r.u.s.s. 10-07-2007 07:28 PM

you need dosbox to run the game. download it from the site in programs section and type 'intro' on the begining. or follow one of the tutorials on this site

Guest 17-07-2007 02:19 AM

game crashes at tittle screen tryed core normal and core simple still didnt work can some one help

The Fifth Horseman 17-07-2007 07:34 AM

Which version of DOSBox did you use?

Guest 18-07-2007 08:17 AM

0.70 sorry for the long wait was busy

The Fifth Horseman 18-07-2007 01:35 PM

Hmm...
Disable MPU-401 emulation in dosbox.conf.

If that doesn't work, try running the game on DOSBox 0.65 (the version just before 0.70).

Guest 18-07-2007 11:40 PM

i drag and drop to play my games and know nothing about dos box so can you help me out

Mighty Midget 18-07-2007 11:45 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 19 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]300115[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i drag and drop to play my games and know nothing about dos box so can you help me out
[/b]
Please, read this Guide (or else Fifth will get all miffed and sulky :P)

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=14913

Then feel free to roam the forums here for aditional help and info, and if you still need help getting DOSBox to work, feel free to post your topic in "troubleshooting"

Guest 18-07-2007 11:49 PM

download 0.65 and it works now odd

Guest 18-07-2007 11:49 PM

thanks for the help guys

The Fifth Horseman 19-07-2007 11:48 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 19 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]300115[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Then you didn't really modify the Core setting, either, eh?
For the future, please read the DOSBox readme and have a look on the contents of DOSBox.conf (which you can open with Notepad).

PS. Running games by drag&drop is a bad-bad-umpteen-times-bad habit! This way you'll never learn how to use DOSBox properly, and there are games which just can't be ran that way.

Shade 22-02-2008 01:58 PM

where are my true knights now? in this, our time of need!

i cant even install the game.
not even thru' DOSBOX. i request help!

Borodin 22-02-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 319778)
i cant even install the game.
not even thru' DOSBOX. i request help!

Are you going to give us any kind of idea of what the exact problem is, or are we supposed to guess? ;)

Sebatianos 22-02-2008 08:03 PM

And you don't even need to install the game - it's pre-installed already. just unzip and play - prefrebly throguh DOSBox.

Shade 23-02-2008 09:11 AM

il just let you rub it in my face a little...
there...
anyways: ive tried to open the game thru' Dos several times. Dos just exits after some seconds!
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/%5B....jpg%5B/IMG%5D when i try to open this file it exits shortly thereafter. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...avevidence.jpg

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/%5B....jpg%5B/IMG%5D when i try this one nothing happens at all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/evidence.jpg

_r.u.s.s. 23-02-2008 09:28 AM

after "C:" type in "cd dominus" and then run "DOMC". if that doesn't help get older version of dosbox

Shade 23-02-2008 10:37 AM

thanks for the help.
got to work now.
8D

masterphul654728 05-12-2008 02:11 PM

Help

Can anyone help me? I can't get it to load.

I have the cd of the game but have also tried downloading it from this site. I have used several versions of dosbox and it still wont load.

When dosbox loads it starts on z:

I then type 'mount c c:\dominus'

Then 'c:' to get it to the c drive

I then type 'dom.bat' and several other possible start things and it says please insert CD and restart. The CD is already inserted though.

I have also tried typing in 'domb' and it starts to do something but then stops. Is there any way I can get it to work.

I hope this makes sense and thanks.

The Fifth Horseman 05-12-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

I then type 'dom.bat' and several other possible start things and it says please insert CD and restart. The CD is already inserted though.
But is the CD drive mounted?

masterphul654728 05-12-2008 04:01 PM

I can't seem to mount the CD drive. The drive is my f drive. I type in 'mount f f:\dominus' (Dominus being the name of the folder that it is saved in) and it says that it does not exist. Is this because it is a zipped folder?

Surely if I have installed it I shouldn't need the CD anyway especially if it is the same files as can be downloaded from this site.

Thanks

The Fifth Horseman 05-12-2008 05:05 PM

Mount C C:
Quote:

after "C:" type in "cd dominus" and then run "DOMC"

masterphul654728 05-12-2008 06:44 PM

It comes up with the following when I do that: ;(

Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

I know I'm probably doing something really stupid for it not to be working but can't figure out what!

dosraider 05-12-2008 07:13 PM

Calm down a bit, will ya?You can't install a game in Windows and then run it within dosbox. If you want tto use the CD you MUST install it also IN dosbox.
Forget your CD for now and try first with the AB game. You may delete the previous CD wininstall, the params are wrong. And also delete the AB game folder, it's screwed up anyway, start from scratch.

First step whilst IN Windows:
Create a folder: c:\oldgames
Extract the dominus folder inside the AB archive to c:\oldgames so that you get c:\oldgames\dominus\,
careful, NOT c:\oldgames\dominus\dominus\.
If you have some mounts in your dosboxconfig under [autoexec] delete them.

Next:
Run dosbox and input:

mount c c:\oldgames
c:
cd dominus
dom

If you follow those instructions the game WILL WORK.
Do NOT run install with the AB game, it is pre configured to use with dosbox. No CD needed.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9877/dom1uw9.th.png

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1528/dom2sd8.th.png

masterphul654728 05-12-2008 10:25 PM

Thanks. It works now :)

dosraider 06-12-2008 09:55 AM

That will be .... 135€.
I accept paypal.
Happy gaming.
Have a nice day.

_r.u.s.s. 06-12-2008 11:32 AM

wow you have a cd? i bet it has some extra stuff in it. care to make an image for us?

you know in that case you won't have to pay 135€=P

TheSurgeon 02-04-2009 12:10 PM

Doesn't Work

Hi everybody!

I'd really like this game, but starting it doesn't work.

I've clicked all the executables, and they just open up a black screen and close immediately.

Does anyone have problems similar to mine?

Cheers!

TheSurgeon 02-04-2009 12:13 PM

Can't play

Hi everyone!

I've tried playing this game, but it won't work. All the executables just open a black screen for a second, and then just close it.

Does anyone have similar problems to mine?

Thanks in advance!

Luchsen 02-04-2009 12:26 PM

Use DOSBox.

TheSurgeon 02-04-2009 01:27 PM

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 358510)
Use DOSBox.

Should I use it for all DOS games except those covered by SCUMMVM - or aren't all workable on it?

The Fifth Horseman 02-04-2009 01:38 PM

That is at the very least advisable.

TheSurgeon 02-04-2009 04:10 PM

OK

OK, I've run it - but there is one bug. Whenever a screen changes colors get weird, and only moving the mouse "repairs" them.

And is it normal that I suffer an invasion immediately? I don't even know what I have to do!

TheSurgeon 03-04-2009 05:30 AM

Healing

Also - how can I heal after getting hurt?

_r.u.s.s. 03-04-2009 03:09 PM

you call your mother and she puts iodine on it

fizubh 23-05-2009 03:32 AM

Great game

Never of it until I saw it on the site. Played it for a bit and fell in love with it. I wish the game lasted longer.

Iolo 13-06-2009 06:46 PM

Okay I have an Audigy 4 sound card and have never really had any problems with old games working in Dosbox, Except for Dominus (a game i've loved for some time) whenever i run it no matter what sound device i pick in the installer all i get is a sort of 'pop' from the speakers and then nothing, no music or sound.

The game it's self runs great but i would really love to hear that menu music again, so i'm hoping someone knows the correct irq dma or whatever to set to make this work?

Iolo 13-06-2009 06:48 PM

Also i should have added i have an original version of the game (well a CD release anyway) so i know the sounds should work they just don't :(

The Fifth Horseman 13-06-2009 08:27 PM

Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220

Iolo 13-06-2009 09:31 PM

Nope that dose the same thing :(

The Fifth Horseman 14-06-2009 04:10 PM

Try Sound Blaster Pro 2, then "plain" Pro, followed by SB2, then "plain" SB.

If that fails, change the sound system emulater by DOSBox to Sound Blaster Pro 2 and try again.

Iolo 15-06-2009 09:10 PM

Yay it's a worker!
Thanks for the help but i finally discovered that it was my version of the game.
After i downloaded the Abandonia version it ran fine :clap:

You guys rule :D

Iolo 19-06-2009 03:24 PM

I now have another question.

The Abandonia version of Dominus is smaller than my disc version by about 6 megs i think, and it has fewer folders in it's directory (it's missing the defeat folder and some files from the art folder)
If i try to combine the two it has problems, but if i add the new defeat folder and extra art folder files to the Abandonia ver the game works with sounds AND it's intro changes??

Whats going on? :wondering::wondering:

New discovery
The Abandonia version of the game doesn't have the little animations that play when you defeat a clan, and so far all my attempts to combine my disc version and the abandonia version have cause graphical errors

Iolo 20-06-2009 03:16 PM

Well i have over the past few days been trying to get a combined version of Dominus working with the missing animations AND music, but so far no luck :(

If anyone want's to have a bash at the problem or perhaps add a extra art work but no music version of Dom for download, I could upload the installed Dominus and a zip of the contents of the CD so that you can mount it in a folder via Dosbox and get round the CD check?

Don't know if that's okay to do legality wise since the game is abandoned but my CD version was bought (from ebay) so give me the word and i'll get it uploaded.

dosraider 20-06-2009 03:23 PM

The CD is uploaded in the ISO cellar by Ermuli..

-> You don't have access to that forum sub yet, you must be a member for at least one week or so and have 20 posts. (Something in that vein anyway).

BTW, if you install the CD game correctly in dosbox it works fine.

skillz 20-06-2009 03:26 PM

So Dominus in iso cellar is not really complete then,missing animations?

Iolo 21-06-2009 01:55 PM

Well as far as i've found the Dominus i've downloaded from Abandonia plays perfectly with music all apart from the animations of the last battle with a clan once you defeat it.

In the version i have on CD i get no music (no matter what options i set) and a different intro, and when you wipe out a clan it cut's to a short animation of that clan being wiped out.

Although i've just realized i've just been unzipping and playing the Abandonia version, perhaps i should install it first.....

And yes until Dosbox 73 came out i was unable to install Dominus without errors but now it works fine but still doesn't play music

Iolo 22-06-2009 01:55 PM

Okay i've now tried installing the Abandonia version and it doesn't install (unsurprisingly since it's already installed in the zip)
So if anyone wants to see what i've been going on about download the following files......
one is the installed CD version of Dominus, the other is the contents of the CD (which must be mounted in a folder as the CD to get round the CD check)

Dominus
domCD

If you play long enough to wipe out a clan you'll see what i mean, also the different intro, oh and if anyone get the music working with this version Please tell me :)

skillz 23-06-2009 01:26 AM

I'm confused
So u mean domcd is the contants of ur cd not the contants of the one on iso cellar right?

U can't combine files thats not gonna work
It's gotta be something ur doing not to get sound

And i just checked the dominus iso uploaded here...yes it does have a defeat folder..now ur really confusing me

Iolo 23-06-2009 07:14 PM

No both the files i've posted links to are from my CD, one is the installed game the other is the files on my CD which you need to have in a folder and mounted as if they were the CD in Dosbox (so that the game won't complain about you not having the CD)

You need to download both, then unzip them and load dosbox,
then mount your c:\ anywhere you like and mount your CD as the domcd folder.

Then run the Dominus game from the downloaded Dominus folder (from my link)

Alternatively you could just install the game fresh from the Domcd folder and then still mounting it as the CD run it from the fresh install.

Sorry for the confusion although english is my first language it often dosn't come out that way :P

as far as i've seen my CD version is 34 megs big and the Abandonia version is 29 so there has to be a difference

dosraider 23-06-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iolo (Post 371979)
No both the files i've posted links to are from my CD, one is the installed game the other is the files on my CD which you need to have in a folder and mounted as if they were the CD in Dosbox (so that the game won't complain about you not having the CD)

No, not good enough. And not worth downloading your files.
What skillz said (and she's right) is that you should post a CD image (ISO or better a BIN/CUE image), not simply copying the files from the CD. Then we can compare.
That's the way things work with CDs.
Capiche?

Iolo 24-06-2009 02:44 PM

Ah okay as soon as i work out how to make an iso then i'll upload it :mhh:

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

dosraider 24-06-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iolo (Post 372161)
Ah okay as soon as i work out how to make an iso then i'll upload it :mhh:

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

You'll need this lovely freeware soft:
http://www.imgburn.com/

It's pretty self explaining how you must proceed.

skillz 24-06-2009 03:25 PM

IMGburn is what i would recommend also very easy
If u happen to get lost just ask here and either myself or dosraider will help u

Iolo 24-06-2009 07:30 PM

I managed to use Power ISO for the job :3: so now hopefully someone can have a go of this Dominus and see if they can get the sounds to work (and if there are any new bit's compared to the Abandonia ver)

DOMISO

(check the time of this post if the Download fails, as of writing i'm 40% through the upload and my line is going VERY slowly so if it fails give it about half an hour and try again)

dosraider 24-06-2009 08:08 PM

*sigh*
That's not an ISO from a CD, you apparently simply created theISO from the files of your own folder.
It isn't a real CD image.
Your label is wrong, it's a random generated number by PowerISO.
The original Dominus CD has a specific label.

That or your 'original' CD is a downloaded/copied one, but created by someone who doesn't know how to make a correct one.

skillz 24-06-2009 08:24 PM

I know it seems alittle confusing creating an image right now Iolo
But when u do it once(the correct way) u'll be a wiz at it:)

Iolo 24-06-2009 11:42 PM

Okay 3rd times the charm this time i have listened to the wisdom of the Forum people and used Imgburn to creat the ISO....but wait there's more I even created a Bin file too!
both are of the same CD of course but i wasn't sure which you wanted most so here they are....

DOMISO

DOMBIN

:easy:*awaits ISO creation Wizard classification*:easy:

dosraider 25-06-2009 03:44 PM

Try this:
Install you game from the CD first, then unarchive the AB game in the same folder, overwriting all when asked, did some try runs, seems all OK.
The full CD install 35.6 MB, the unzipped AB archive is some 30MB. So you get at least some extra files .... :p
And the AB gives you a NO-CD crack.

Works fine, if you get the full animations or not, don't know, not enough time to play this one. Yours to try out. Sorry. :no:

[Edit]
Next step if you don't get full animations is to compare the files/folders/size of the AB version versus the CD version.

*time time time, not enough time ....:( ...

skillz 26-06-2009 01:35 PM

I will try this tomorrow...

Iolo 26-06-2009 04:58 PM

Yeah times always get in the way of good gaming :)
I'll give it a shot as soon as i can.

dosraider 26-06-2009 05:05 PM

Sorry folks, lately al my free time goes to creating maps/modding for XpandRallyXtreme.... *sigh*
.... but I love that stuff.... :woot:

BTW:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iolo (Post 371015)

Maybe an active moderator should split this from the quoted post and create an entry in 'Favorite oldies and newbies', I don't think this will end soon .... :mhh:

Iolo 27-06-2009 03:12 PM

Well maybe not so far It looks like your solution is a worker Dosraider,
all my attempts to combine the two Dominus's resulted in graphical glitches in the mixing room, but so far your way is fine.

Still have to wipe a clan out and see if it has a cutscene but for now i'm hopeful, I said it before and i'll say it again you guys rule :clap:

How did your test go Skillz?

dosraider 27-06-2009 03:19 PM

Sometimes I'm so good I'm afraid of myself. :no:

However, we'd better hold on the cheers till you get to the cutscenes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iolo (Post 372642)
Still have to wipe a clan out and see if it has a cutscene but for now i'm hopeful, I said it before and i'll say it again you guys rule :clap:

Maybe some AB files are 'empty' ones ......
Keep us posted please, Iolo.

Iolo 01-07-2009 03:07 PM

Arrgh don't get the back patter 2000 out quite yet because although the graphics don't break up and the sound works i've just finally discovered that the Clan Elimination films still don't play :(

Dose a install of the ISO i uploaded work with sound on your system's ?

jasonmloh 10-07-2009 10:09 AM

Standard Dosbox Technical Configuration

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest_Dannighe (Post 189828)

After installing dosbox you will get a configuration file. Open that file and you will see the following commands:

cycles=auto
#( this is the default value and should work for most of the games )
cycles=9000
#( some games require a customized value in order to run satisfactorily (e.g. Master of Orion). Use this only if the first one fails )

memsize=16
#( this is the default value and should work for most games )

insert the following at the most bottom of the file:

mount x c:\mydocuments\dominus
x:

# The mount command above differs from person to person depending on where you extracted the zip file to. Try not to mount as z because some XP computers will produce some kind of anomaly.
# Save the file with the changes above.
# Go to where you extracted the zip file and run install.exe.
# Set the following sound card configuration:

sound blaster compatible or original
address 220
irq 5
drq 1 or dma 1

# Save the changes and exit install.exe
# Run Dosbox and you should get:

x:

# Type "dir/w" and hit enter or return. Every dos game will have three executables, .bat or .exe or .com. Look for these files and one of these will run the game, with sound.( For Dominus it could be Dom.bat, so run this )
# And then press ALT + Enter to maximize the screen.

Good luck.:sneaky:
________
Cat Wheels

That guy 29-11-2009 10:42 PM

Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 189723)
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

I cant get the application to install from a folder on my desktop

The Fifth Horseman 29-11-2009 11:20 PM

It's a DOS game. Consequently, you need to use DOSBox to run it.

Shade 26-12-2009 07:25 PM

how do i get this to work on vista?
and why is my download always timing out?

dosraider 26-12-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 391807)
how do i get this to work on vista?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 389610)
It's a DOS game. Consequently, you need to use DOSBox to run it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 391807)
and why is my download always timing out?

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22934

OK?

senhorlampada 23-02-2010 02:57 AM

Love this game! The 'monster-mixer' was a lovely twist at that time! :D

The current time is 10:56 AM (GMT)