Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The whispered world. (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24621)

ayoeness 09-05-2010 10:47 AM

The whispered world.

Hi Abandonia,

I would just like to recommend the new PC game "The Whispered World" to the few fans there might be out there of point and click adventure games. :)

The game is classic all the way through, and has an entirely set storyline (which I like very much. :P) and some very nice graphics. It looks a bit like a comic.

It is about a sad clown named Sadwick who has a bit of a lisp and suffers from strange nightmares about the destruction of the world.

I am not gonna write up a long review here. Just wanted to recommend this nice and funny game. It's not often you see this kind of games made anymore.

I have spent a great deal of hours playing it already. :smile2:

TotalAnarchy 09-05-2010 11:07 AM

Yes, I have tried it, though unfortunately at the moment I don't have time to play any games at all, since it's the busier part of the universitary year. So far looks very good, and the voice acting is quality, except Sadwick's voice is a bit weird :p , but the actor improves with time.

ayoeness 09-05-2010 11:18 AM

Yeah it is a bit wierd, and his "s" sounds have a slighty german pronunciation, but I do hope its on purpose. :P

_r.u.s.s. 09-05-2010 12:49 PM

wow man, thanks for letting us know! i'll definitely check it out, the screenshots look wonderful at least

rabadi 10-05-2010 01:18 AM

Saw a short review of it on Gamerzines the other day. Looks nice :OK:

_r.u.s.s. 27-05-2010 10:23 PM

well, i just finished it

it was fine. the puzzles mostly made sense, but there are still some pieces that make you stop and wonder what kind of retard the person did have to be make this puzzle. but only a few

and the main advantage of it was most probably graphics, audio and overall atmosphere which was awesome. however, the main character had really, and i mean really stupid voice over. a couple of dialogue jokes went ruined by it. and the character just shout have felt differently

but generally, it was a nice adventure

edit: oh, i almost forgot. the game must have been coded by a bunch of drunk monkeys, because despite the simple two dimensional graphics with a couple of animations it had to load for ages. and everytime i went back into the menu it made me want to go and make a coffee. it's like they emulated the whole loading in dosbox or something

TotalAnarchy 28-05-2010 06:48 AM

I've noticed a few special effects, like small particles floating in the light to create quite a "nostalgic" impression of dust or fog in the air. Despite the environment being static at the first glance, there was always something moving if you took a second look. But even with these special effects, which make the game stand out from the usual fare in today's adventure games, The Whispered World feels too heavy sometimes. A sign of sporadic drop in FPS? Then there might be something true in russ' statement about the game being not very optimized.

Generally, my new computer handled it well, (even though playing Modern Warfare was a smoother experience :p ) and I didn't feel the long loading times. The game is great. Russ already mentioned its strong points, and I really like atmospheric games. It's hard to pinpoint the exact feeling it generates. Despite what I've read in some impressions of the game, The Whispered World doesn't feel like a retro experience (what certainly resembles the titles of the old are the characters and the dialogues, which only get more highlighted considering the pale counterparts offered by most European adventures nowadays). An easier way to explain it would be to associate it with a fairy tale. Indeed there is this small universe-big universe-small universe continuity in the storyline, much like in those stories where a son of a peasant goes into the wide world and becomes king. Hopefully you'll understand what I mean when you'll play the game. The bits you make out about the universe from the interaction with the characters are complemented by amazing fantasy backdrops, that make you stop and admire them for a while without moving.

I can't find titles to compare it to. At some points The Whispered World reminded me of the Syberia games. Has nothing in common with the fairy tale experience from Dreamfall, though I'd like to see how similar it is to The Longest Journey, since I haven't played that one. Overall I was very pleased, it has good voice acting, memorable characters and moments, and all the +++ I already mentioned. I'm sure it will be a hallmark of post-2000 adventures in the future. If I need to give it a score, it'd be a 8,5, but don't cling too much to it.

riccso 28-05-2010 12:21 PM

This looks awesome.Will try it :D

rabadi 18-06-2010 06:25 AM

Here is a chance to win a copy of The Whispered World: http://www.destructoid.com/contest-w...d-176309.phtml

ayoeness 18-06-2010 07:19 PM

I actually finished it a while ago. And I agree on most points with r.u.s.s. and TotalAnarchy, but I didn't have any problems at all with load times.

It did however freeze on me a few times, the first time I had to play the entire beginning again which was fairly annoying.

The voice-over didn't annoy me all that much, although at some points the words were really weirdly pronounced.

All in all I enjoyed the game very much and I was very happy to see that there is still people out there who can be bothered to make an old fashioned point and click game. :OK:

The current time is 04:59 AM (GMT)