Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Abandoned Times (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Abandoned Times Issue #3 Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=33417)

TotalAnarchy 08-08-2015 05:51 PM

Abandoned Times Issue #3 Discussion

Right-click and select "Save link as" to download the PDF on your HDD and read the magazine in the best quality.
http://www.abandonia.com/files/image...ageIssue3Cover

Greetings! Almost four years have passed since we published the second issue of Abandoned Times, and that seemed such an achievement! Now, against all odds, we present you a very wild, rabid THIRD issue of the magazine. The process of making it was plagued by many problems, including the lack of content and of an active editor / designer, but in the end we made it through. I hope you'll enjoy the read!

What are your thoughts about the new Abandoned Times issue? Suggestions? Favourite article? Discuss here!

Smiling Spectre 08-08-2015 06:04 PM

Quick question: why not have hyperlinks in the all this index numbers?

---later---
While I totally agree with facts beyond PC fall and rise, I believe, their interpretation is wrong right from the "2000s", and progressively declines from the truth up to the "current". :) PC was chocked not because their hadn't dedicated audience: it chocked because game market abandoned this dedicated audience, inclined to console audience - casual and simple - and most of sales, logically enough, went to this consoles in result. When someone - Kickstarter - offered games for real PC audience, it resulted in sudden, but predicable boom. :)
---even later---
While I had not much good moments with Ben There, Dan That, but Time Gentlemen, Please! is surprisingly good - especially surprisingly after first short and quite nonsensical game. :) I believe, it could be mentioned in the review... :)

TotalAnarchy 08-08-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 463717)
Quick question: why not have hyperlinks in the all this index numbers?

If you mean the contents page, you must click on the title of the article, not the page number. It's a bit counterintuitive, but that's how I did it in the 2nd issue as well, so for consistency's sake I left it like that. :)

The Fifth Horseman 09-08-2015 11:32 PM

All I can say is: Holy crap. It's actually finished.

TotalAnarchy 10-08-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 463730)
All I can say is: Holy crap. It's actually finished.

Yep, now we can boast of having published almost all of the articles written for Abandoned Times.

Japo 10-08-2015 09:36 PM

It looks quite awesome. I got disillusioned when my contribution for the first issue lay unused for months, before several staff changes, but I must say the results of all issues have not compromised quality... however small the public may be, :D too bad!! Props to TA and the rest!

BentleyVA 11-08-2015 01:11 AM

I like to think it is because of communities like ours that places like GOG and Steam seem to flourish. True they have stolen a lot of our thunder, but they have also been able to provide games for more modern systems to let a newer generation (and some of us old farts) play the great games from yesteryear. Magazines like this show that some of us still care.

BostonGeorge 11-08-2015 09:15 AM

I have to admit that I have not read it yet because of ... time and work issues (well I printed it out already).
But what I have to say is, that I really, really appreciate your work and your effort doing this and still spending time for my beloved Abandonia.

Thank you.

Dave 12-08-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy (Post 463733)
Yep, now we can boast of having published almost all of the articles written for Abandoned Times.

This was unexpected, but I'm really happy to see that you made it guys.
A little miracle I would say, isn't it?

I'm really curious about AMIGA section, my first love :smile2:

euricog 12-08-2015 07:25 PM

Dudes, turn it into income!

Hey guys,

I'm a long time user although I'm not active in the community. But as soon as I finished reading the new issue I had to reach out to you.

First, issue is very good. I (and the whole community, I suppose) really appreciate all the effort put into it. The same goes to the previous issues.

Now moving straight to the point: this site depends on its visitors to generate traffic and income from ads (sorry, I use adblock - there are too many ads). Nowadays, most traffic comes from social networks and search engines. To be ranked higher on search engines, and therefore receive more web traffic, sites must have unique content. Abandonia has mostly game pages, which is a type of content that's very hard to become unique. Now, Abandonia Times has incredible unique content - such as the interviews - and search engine crawlers are always eager to collect and index this content.

Bottom line is: the magazine should be available as HTML pages on the site, allowing it to be crawled by search engines, which in turn will generate more search results for Abandonia and consequently more traffic. More traffic = more ad income. More income = more Abandonia.

Hope you understand, it's killing me to see such an opportunity being wasted.

The current time is 10:44 AM (GMT)