Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do Your Think You Can Speak English ? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=7008)

swiss 01-09-2005 05:16 PM

OK here. You all think that your English is fluent and perfect ?

Follow this three simple steps to ruin your tongue :bleh: :

(for beginners)
Three witches watch three swatch watches. Which witch watches
which swatch watch?

(advanced english)
Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch
switches. Which switched witch watches which Swatch watch switch?

(at the end)
Three swiss witch-bitches, which wished to be switched swiss witch-bitches, wish
to watch three swiss Swatch watch switches. Which swiss witch-bitch which wishes
to be a switched swiss witch-bitch, wishes to watch which swiss Swatch watch
switch?

And when you're not English, then try to translate the third sentence in your language.

This is the German version: (much easier to say)
Drei Schweizer Hexen-Schlampen, die sich wünschen geschlechtsumgewandelt zu sein, schauen sich schweizer Swatch Uhrenknöpfe an. Welche schweizer Hexen-Schlampe, die sich wünscht geschlechtsumgewandelt zu sein,schaut sich welche schweizer Swatch Uhrenknöpfe an?

Sebatianos 01-09-2005 05:24 PM

And what's the problem there?
Just think it's the lyrics to some old techno rapping (like with 2 unlimited, Culture Beat, Scatman John,...). It's actually quite rhytmic. This would be much harder to pronounce:

Toy boat. Toy boat. Toy boat. (and it keeps on repeating).

a1s 01-09-2005 06:12 PM

you're supposed to prononuce it very fast (it's an exercise, that helps one develop his speaking)

Xikarita 01-09-2005 06:15 PM

We have stuff like that in Portuguese, too. Like trying to say ''tr?s tristes tigres'' (''three sad tigers'').

Scarface 01-09-2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xikarita@Sep 1 2005, 01:15 PM
Like trying to say ''tr?s tristes tigres'' (''three sad tigers'').
Spanish version is "Tres tristes tigres tragaban trigo en un trigal". :D

a1s 01-09-2005 06:37 PM

well, since we're posting our native ones:
"черепаха, не скучая, час сидит за чашкой чая"

swiss 01-09-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by a1s@Sep 1 2005, 06:37 PM
ermmm yeah .. whatever. :crazy:

what does it mean ?

--

and Sebatianos please do me a favour and record it and post it here. I would really like to know how easy (?) that would be for a native speaker. I can read that but I must concentrate a bit. Simply the "TH" is something that needs a bit of concentration when having so much "s" and "ch" in the sentence when not being used to it in your native language ...

a1s 01-09-2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by a1s@Sep 1 2005, 06:37 PM
well, since we're posting our native ones:

any questions?
(If it's translation you want, then it means "the turtle can drink a single cup of tea for hours without getting bored", silly isn't it?

Quintopotere 01-09-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xikarita@Sep 1 2005, 06:15 PM
Like trying to say ''tr?s tristes tigres'' (''three sad tigers'').
The italian version is "Tre tigri contro tre tigri" or, closer to your version, "Tre tristi tigri"

Sebatianos 01-09-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by swiss@Sep 1 2005, 08:41 PM
and Sebatianos please do me a favour and record it and post it here. I would really like to know how easy (?) that would be for a native speaker. I can read that but I must concentrate a bit. Simply the "TH" is something that needs a bit of concentration when having so much "s" and "ch" in the sentence when not being used to it in your native language ...
Well I'm not a native speaker of English - but I'll give it a go. In the mean time here's a little Slovene sentance:
Pešec gre čez cestišče v Stožce po rožce. :D

Playbahnosh 01-09-2005 07:11 PM

Quote:

Like trying to say ''tr?s tristes tigres'' (''three sad tigers'')
Okay, here it goes in hungarian: "Három szomorú tigris"
Not bad at all :)

We have some similar tounge twisters too, like
"Bedezodorozott luxus Moszkvics slusszkulcs" I still can't pronounce it in one go :D The "s" is my nightmare...
It means "Deoranted luxury Moskwich igniton-key" Sounds stupid isn't it? We invented this with my friends :D

The next one with "r" twisting: "Répa, retek, mogyoró. Korán reggel ritkán rikkant a rigó" it means "Carrot, radish, peanut. Early in the morning the throstle rarely twitters" This is a folk invented one :D

A. J. Raffles 01-09-2005 07:19 PM

Shouldn't it be "Three swiss witch-bitches who wished to be switched swiss witch-bitches", though?:P

efthimios 01-09-2005 07:22 PM

I would translated in greek if I had any idea what switched swiss witch-bitches meant. I can understand swiss witch bitch, but what is a switched swiss witch bitch? Switched in what way? Sex change?

There are two sentences thare used in greek but they are more used as jokes than anything else. One is " μια πάπια με παπιά μα "muck, I can't remember how it goes. So many years ago, I can't remember them. :cry:

Blood-Pigggy 01-09-2005 07:23 PM

That's not a good test.
It's far too easy.

the tch and th sounds are very basic in a person's vocabulary.
I myself use the "Woodchuck" and "Seashells" tongue twisters, being the most difficult to complete succesfully (The entire thing)

Sebatianos 01-09-2005 07:24 PM

Well here's what I came up with tonight (with a few hours practice I'd be much better, but I'm too sleepy right now).

Witches

EDIT - I think the seashells are really difficoult - woodchuck isn't that hard...

Try this:
She sells sea shells by the sea shore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I'm sure she sells seashore shells.

Blood-Pigggy 01-09-2005 07:29 PM

Yah it is.
Reason Woodchuck is hard is that the complete version goes on forever.
You're bound to mess up somewhere.

Anyone notice the topic name is "Do your think you can speak english?"

Danny252 01-09-2005 07:58 PM

at least it makes sense.
seashells is easy.
try:
Red lorry Yellow lorry (repeat ad infinitum)

PrejudiceSucks 01-09-2005 08:00 PM

Pfft you should check the Dr Seuss tongue-twister book. That's hard.

ReamusLQ 01-09-2005 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Sep 1 2005, 01:00 PM
Pfft you should check the Dr Seuss tongue-twister book. That's hard.
yeah it is.

Red Leather Yellow Leather is hard too.

I learned the trick to doing "toy boat" this summer, so now it's pretty easy.

Puffin 01-09-2005 08:42 PM

?ríbrotin blý-kringla, ?ríbrotin blý-kringla *repeat*

Stebbi stó? á ströndu
var a? tro?a strý
strý var ekki tro?i? fyrr en stebbi tr??i strý.

Hno?ri úr nor?ri ver?ur a? ve?ri ?ó a? sí?ar ver?i.

Rómverskur riddari ré?st inn í rómarborg r?ndi og rupla?i rabbarbara og rófum.

Sea-shells are quite easy, in my opinion..

Kon-Tiki 01-09-2005 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by swiss@Sep 1 2005, 07:16 PM

(for beginners)
which swatch watch?

(advanced english)
Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch
switches. Which switched witch watches which Swatch watch switch?

(at the end)
Three swiss witch-bitches, which wished to be switched swiss witch-bitches, wish
to watch three swiss Swatch watch switches. Which swiss witch-bitch which wishes
to be a switched swiss witch-bitch, wishes to watch which swiss Swatch watch
switch?

And when you're not English, then try to translate the third sentence in your language.

This is the German version: (much easier to say)
Drei Schweizer Hexen-Schlampen, die sich wünschen geschlechtsumgewandelt zu sein, schauen sich schweizer Swatch Uhrenknöpfe an. Welche schweizer Hexen-Schlampe, die sich wünscht geschlechtsumgewandelt zu sein,schaut sich welche schweizer Swatch Uhrenknöpfe an?

I'm not even trying that. I already have too big an accent as it is. Try asking "I'll be back" Van Damme to do that. You'd still get a better result than from me <_<

allyfaucet 02-09-2005 05:00 AM

I like rubber baby buggy bumpers :D

TheGiantMidgit 02-09-2005 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Sep 1 2005, 07:29 PM
Yah it is.
Reason Woodchuck is hard is that the complete version goes on forever.
You're bound to mess up somewhere.

Anyone notice the topic name is "Do your think you can speak english?"

Yea, I was planning on bringing that one to light... heh.. ironic.

Spoonman 02-09-2005 06:43 AM

Hmm I don't have any trouble pronouncing the seashell thingy, maybe it depends of where you come from. For example, a lot of foreigners coming to the Netherlands just can't pronounce the way we say things like Scheveningen, heggenschaar, and other things with a 'hard' g, but to us it's easy.

Furthermore we've got this one
"De knappe kapper kapt knap, maar de knecht van de knappe kapper kapt knapper dan dat de knappe kapper kappen kan"

It means.. umm "The handsome barber cuts well, but the assistant of the handsome barber cuts better than that the handsome barber can cut"

(actually I think the word handsome should be skilled, 'knap' can be used for handsome or skilled.. but it doesn't make any sense in english anyway :) )

something similair: "De kat krabt de krullen van de trap" I never found this one that hard, but it has been often used. It means "The cat scratches the 'krullen' of the stairs"

Hmm I don't know how to translate 'krullen'.

Mats 02-09-2005 07:11 AM

This is a clssic in Swedish.

Sju sjösjuka sjömen p? det sjunkande sjöskeppet Shanghai
or
Sex laxar i en laskask *repeat*

the would translate into:
Seven sea sick seamen on the sinking seaship Shanghai (not so hard in English, but the swedish "sj" makes it easy to get lost).

Six salmons in a box (lask is a box paper that has a plastic surface, I don't know any english reference)

BTW. seashells are quite easy for sweds if you talk a bit of phony brittish (use a very small area in the front of your mount, in difference to the normally used wide area in the front of the mouth when talking english (wich would make to "sh"'s unbearable.

///MJ

Sebatianos 02-09-2005 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spoonman@Sep 2 2005, 08:43 AM
Hmm I don't have any trouble pronouncing the seashell thingy, maybe it depends of where you come from.
Excelent point! Every language has various typical sounds that poeple are used to. Those sounds aren't a problem.

As an English teacher I can tell that most Slovene children usually have problems with the differentce between long and short [i] - like in beach vs. bitch...

Danny252 02-09-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Sju sjösjuka sjömen p? det sjunkande sjöskeppet Shanghai
or
Sex laxar i en laskask *repeat*

the would translate into:
Seven sea sick seamen on the sinking seaship Shanghai (not so hard in English, but the swedish "sj" makes it easy to get lost).

I know what one ^_^ my mother can do it :P
it also works incredibly well in english too.

piroklasztit 02-09-2005 10:43 PM

Here's another hungarian one:
"Mit sütsz kis szűcs? Tán sós húst sütsz, kis szűcs?"

and it means approx. (my english is not so good, so fellow hungarians please help me out with this one :) ) "What are you roasting little furrier? Is it salted meat perhaps what you're roasting little furrier?"

This one is a notorius tongue-twister, because of the 's'-s and 'sz'-s being so close to the 't'-s and each other. It can be tough :D. ( I'm not familar with teaching hungarian as a foreign language but 's' is like the 'sh' in the english word 'shoot', and 'sz' is pronunciated like the 's' in the word 'see'. 'T' is 't' :) )

blastradius14 03-09-2005 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mats@Sep 2 2005, 02:11 AM
Six salmons in a box (lask is a box paper that has a plastic surface, I don't know any english reference)
Wax paper? Lamanate cardboard?

Yeah, I like the sea bitches better than sea shore beaches LOL

I can speak English quite well, but I cannot gibber on for ages on simple repitition...

Urbanraven 03-09-2005 10:01 AM

ooo someone should put finnish one here ...cos i only know this one " vesi hiisi sihisi hississä" its really easy to say and no i dont know what it is in english LOL

Shelley 03-09-2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Sep 1 2005, 07:24 PM
Well here's what I came up with tonight (with a few hours practice I'd be much better, but I'm too sleepy right now).

Witches

:ok: Wow, I bet that even sounds better with a beat and some musical tunes!! Could be the next hitsingle this autumn!! :P But still, well spoken, i couldn't do it... :bleh:

Shelley 03-09-2005 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Sep 1 2005, 09:50 PM

I'm not even trying that. I already have too big an accent as it is. Try asking "I'll be back" Van Damme to do that. You'd still get a better result than from me <_<

ehm.... wasn't it 'Aaaahnold' Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator who said: 'I'll be back' ? :) or am I missing something here.... :tomato:

TheChosen 03-09-2005 10:52 AM

Ha! That was easy.

swiss 03-09-2005 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Sep 1 2005, 07:24 PM

Witches

EDIT - I think the seashells are really difficoult - woodchuck isn't that hard...

Try this:
She sells sea shells by the sea shore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I'm sure she sells seashore shells.

Damn that's good. Didn't expect it.

--

I think the Woodchuck is terribly easy but I had some problems woth the seashell at the beginning.

Here are two German ones that are quite hard if you repeat 'em 10 times ...

- Die Katze tritt die Treppe krumm.
(The cat uses the stairs and bends 'em)

- Querkrawatte
(askew-tie)

Sebatianos 03-09-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by swiss@Sep 3 2005, 01:28 PM
Damn that's good. Didn't expect it.
:tnx:

Borodin 03-09-2005 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by swiss@Sep 1 2005, 05:16 PM

(for beginners)
which swatch watch?

This has nothing to do with knowing a language. I know several professors of linguistics who couldn't manage these tongue twisters. This kind of thing is only about "osculatory agility," and a damn sight less fun than being an effective kisser, too. :ok:

A. J. Raffles 03-09-2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Borodin@Sep 3 2005, 12:42 PM
This has nothing to do with knowing a language. I know several professors of linguistics who couldn't manage these tongue twisters. This kind of thing is only about "osculatory agility," and a damn sight less fun than being an effective kisser, too. :ok:
Fair enough. But failing miserably at pronouncing toungue-twisters is also a whole lot less embarassing... :whistle:

Sebatianos 03-09-2005 01:17 PM

And if you're good at both? :angel: :whistle: :tomato:

Playbahnosh 03-09-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by piroklasztit@Sep 2 2005, 11:43 PM
Here's another hungarian one:
"Mit sütsz kis szűcs? Tán sós húst sütsz, kis szűcs?"

and it means approx. (my english is not so good, so fellow hungarians please help me out with this one :) ) "What are you roasting little furrier? Is it salted meat perhaps what you're roasting little furrier?"

This one is a notorius tongue-twister, because of the 's'-s and 'sz'-s being so close to the 't'-s and each other. It can be tough :D. ( I'm not familar with teaching hungarian as a foreign language but 's' is like the 'sh' in the english word 'shoot', and 'sz' is pronunciated like the 's' in the word 'see'. 'T' is 't' :) )

:w00t: Another Hungarian????? HERE? :Brain:

I though I'm the only one. (duh!)
Okay, so my novelty is over ^_^

"Mit sütsz kis szűcs? Talán sós húst sütsz kis szűcs?"

Well, I'll be damned if I didn't thought about that. I was gonna post that right here when I saw somebody already done it :blink:

The translation is pretty much the same (good work :ok: )

@piroklasztit

Te magyar vagy? Vagy csak szedted valahonnan ezt a nyelvtörőt? Tényleg abba voltam, hogy én vagyok az egyetlen :D

PrejudiceSucks 03-09-2005 01:48 PM

That's easy for you to say!

Sebatianos 03-09-2005 01:55 PM

Are you sure? Remember in Hungarian s is pronounced as "sh" and sz is pronounced as "s". Also those ü and ű sounds are very difficoult to destingiush...

Playbahnosh 03-09-2005 02:08 PM

Not that difficult really. ü is short and ű is long. Okay, I know its easy for me to say... :P We got some rather strage letters in our ABC. Like "dzs" (yes, its ONE letter actually) which is "g" or rather "j" in english.

I'm impressed how many people are good at hungarian here, like Seb... :D And I thought hungarian is a difficult language :D

piroklasztit 03-09-2005 09:36 PM

I'm 100% hungarian Playbahnosh! (szóval nem csak úgy szedtem a dolgokat ;) ). Sorry for the late answer, and thanks for the greetings :kosta: . Hungarian IS a really hard language for the foregneirs, because it has a lot of exceptions in it's grammar, and english or german speakers usually find that the vocals are difficult to pronounce correctly (I don't want to offend anyone :), every language has it's tricks ;) ).

Combat_trousers_rock 04-09-2005 07:11 PM

I'm english and I can't say any tounge-twisters, when I do I get a stupid accent :tai:

Mats 04-09-2005 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blastradius14+Sep 3 2005, 04:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blastradius14 @ Sep 3 2005, 04:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mats@Sep 2 2005, 02:11 AM
Wax paper? Lamanate cardboard?

Yeah, I like the sea bitches better than sea shore beaches LOL

I can speak English quite well, but I cannot gibber on for ages on simple repitition... [/b][/quote]
Waxpaper would come close, it's used in boxes that has a liquid in it, like a milkbox.

///MJ

A. J. Raffles 04-09-2005 08:46 PM

Ah, one of those Tetra Pak thingies, you mean?

The current time is 05:47 PM (GMT)