Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Day of the Tentacle (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=53)

Kosta 11-03-2004 10:06 AM

Day of the Tentacle

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + BUY link

Anonymous 11-03-2004 05:28 PM

this game rocks!!! The only problem is that there's no place to buy it when living outside the united states :cry:

LotharGR 04-04-2004 11:16 PM

A pc games magazine elected Day of the tentacle as the best adventure of all time... I don't remember the magazine though.

ggdepaz 28-04-2004 11:30 AM

Day of the tentacle

I played at Maniac Mansion a long long time and it was amazing.

At this time graphics can be poor but it´s adictiv.

This second part, Day of the .... it´s better.

It´s most funny, and the graphics are amazing and cool.

This tipe of cartoon graphics gives the game LIVE and hystory it´s very original.

I remember the first time i played the first part and i think games evolution are incredible. :)

Salu2 GUS

Decalies 25-06-2004 06:51 AM

IF I remember correctly the game 'maniac mansion' can actually be played in the game DAy of the Tentacle. Somewhere in the game there is terminal or so, where MM can be played.
BTW, there is a free remake of maniac mansion in VGA:
http://people.freenet.de/lucasfangames/man...c/games_eng.htm

xndr2181 10-08-2004 04:29 AM

I really liked maniac mansion, and sadley I never got the chance to play Day of the Tenticle...I wish Lucasarts would stop being anoying and release it as abondonware...
-Sean

Natas 15-10-2004 07:06 AM

DOTT is my favorite game of all time, it contains no weaknesses at all. Also, the game isnt released as abandonware because you can still buy it in the stores. It's bundled together with Sam & Max in a Lucasarts Classics - pack.

BlackMageJawa 15-10-2004 09:18 AM

Lucasarse will never abandon any of their games, as they're currently doing their best to strangle and destroy the classic genre- why else would they have turned Full Throttle into a beat-em-up and cancelled Sam & Max 2?

Fortunately, most of the Sam & Max team have quit Lucasarse to form their own development group, dedicated solely to (yippee) Adventures!

Iron_Scarecrow 15-10-2004 01:59 PM

Modified by Omuletzu
Reason: Message implying oldwarez

Stroggy 15-10-2004 11:07 PM

there was a large thread on the gamespot forums about why lucasarts doesn't want to release its older games for free (like Bethesda did with arena)
there eventually was no answer.

scorch3000 23-10-2004 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous@Mar 11 2004, 06:28 PM
this game rocks!!! The only problem is that there's no place to buy it when living outside the united states :cry:
You live outside the states, d'ya live in the UK like me? You can get DOTT and Sam and Max hit the road, from Gamestation stores for about ?5 i think, in the lucasart price wars colection.

Íris 09-11-2004 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous@Mar 11 2004, 06:28 PM
What do you mean? I bought mine outside of the US. (Actually few years back but still - In Iceland).

Puffin 09-11-2004 06:55 AM

Vinur minn keypti Day of the Tentacle og Sam&Max saman í pakka hér á Íslandi....

(I just said that a friend of mine bought Day of the Tentacle and Sam&Max in a double pack here in Iceland)

Havell 12-11-2004 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Puffin@Nov 9 2004, 07:55 AM
(I just said that a friend of mine bought Day of the Tentacle and Sam&Max in a double pack here in Iceland)
I bought that double pack a few years ago, but I haven't seen it in the shops since.

LICIUZ 18-11-2004 12:46 PM

i'm having some tech problems with my DOTT game... i think it's some sound glitch... i hear the background music, but there's no speech and other sound effects :cry:

does anyone encounter a similar problem? thanks.

aaberg 18-11-2004 01:16 PM

I used to have a lot of trouple with the sound in DOTT when I used Dos. And it is not easyer in Windows. But the problem is solved by some genius programmers who made ScummVM. It's an emulator, or something like that, which you can use to play all the old adventure games in Windows. And it works. :D

Try do download it, and run DOTT through that. When you find out if it works, please post here, I haven't tried it on DOTT yet. :ok:

LICIUZ 18-11-2004 04:53 PM

hey it worked! thanks so much! you're an angel!!! :angel: :tnx:

LUCY 13-12-2004 06:34 PM

Hey everyone... im almost done with the game.. but i cant get the hamster outta de frizzer... it says that the hamster looks mad... so bernard wont take it out..

PLEASEEE HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

Sebatianos 13-12-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LUCY@Dec 13 2004, 09:34 PM
Hey everyone... im almost done with the game.. but i cant get the hamster outta de frizzer... it says that the hamster looks mad... so bernard wont take it out..

PLEASEEE HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

Try with someone else - I think that you'll need it in the future - it's in the ice box and you must put it in the microwave owen after that (hope it helps - I really haven't played the game in ages - so I'm not 100% sure).

Colin v. Waardenberg 24-12-2004 12:33 PM

The thing with the hamster is that this chick in the future needs it. I can't remember if it was the chick in the future, but thats not relevant is it? and if it still doesn't work did you give the hamset his mini sweater? you need to put a million or something coins in the wasshing machine and give a mini sweater to the hamster. hope it helps! and by the way, many many many hours of fun with this game back when i was 6-7 :D its truly the best adventure ever! :kosta:

edlglide 24-12-2004 05:29 PM

It's almost impossible to find some of LucasArts' older adventure games, because they don't sell or distribute them anymore but they also aren't abandonware. I think a couple of games like Fate of Atlantis and DOTT are available on the LucasArts website in a little package, but I don't know of anywhere you can go and buy a game like The Dig or even Loom. There might be places off the Internet to order it, but if LucasArts themselves don't even sell it off their website, they should let people distribute it freely. Not that it matters for me, because I got a LucasArts classic pack like 6 or 7 years ago if not longer that had Sam & Max, Fate of Atlantis, and DOTT.

The_X 27-12-2004 02:40 PM

This is one of the best games ever.

wantdott 06-01-2005 09:46 PM

i used to have it...but it got lost inside the house :whistle: i don't know here it is!!! :angry:
i downloaded it..but it just didn't work...

is it because you have to run it on DOS??? or something like that?? :cry:

Kon-Tiki 06-01-2005 09:47 PM

DosBox, which is available on the site :ok:

LordHogFred 06-01-2005 10:26 PM

Wow I remember playing the demo :bleh:
In fact I still have the original CD Powerplay disk it came on, LOL

If I remember rightly you could by DOTT in a double pack with Sam & Max, I may be wrong tho.

Puffin 06-01-2005 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LordHogFred@Jan 6 2005, 11:26 PM
If I remember rightly you could by DOTT in a double pack with Sam & Max, I may be wrong tho.
I have it on a cd with Sam&Max ;)

Zygny 26-01-2005 06:09 PM

My 9 year old rediscovered DOTT and wants to play but we've lost the original instructions. He can remember much of the game itself it's just that I can't remember how to access the set up menu to change the sound card setting. When I load the game there is no obvious link to any sort of menu. Anybody out there help us??

Natas 30-01-2005 12:10 AM

Use ScummVM, and all your sound problems will go away. The link is already posted in a previous post in this thread. Hey I'm lazy, all right?

These LucasArts adventure games are still available through the LucasArts Classics collection:

DOTT/Sam'n Max Combo Pack
The Dig
Grim Fandango
Full Throttle
The Curse Of Monkey island
Escape From monkey Island

It's sad that games like Fate Of Atlantis and LOOM aren't available anymore, but the games ARE getting old, as are we. To release them as abandonware would be great, but I guess they're waiting to give em away for free untill they plan a sequel of some sorts some time in the future, like Revolution did with Beneath A Steel Sky.

DonCorleone 14-02-2005 05:45 PM

Since this was a really good game I´m looking forward to playing the second part of it which will be ready soon :w00t:

The Levitating Nun 14-02-2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DonCorleone@Feb 14 2005, 06:45 PM
Since this was a really good game I´m looking forward to playing the second part of it which will be ready soon :w00t:
second part????
A SEQUEL????? or just a seperate part of the game?

Sebatianos 14-02-2005 09:02 PM

Well the game itself is the sequal... It's the second part of the Maniac Mansion :ok:

DonCorleone 14-02-2005 09:21 PM

No, no... there will definately be a second DOTT. Or if you want it expressed the other way round Maniac Mansion 3.
It´s a fan game and it will be released in German and English.

Have a look: www.dott2.de

Cthulhu 15-02-2005 12:26 AM

EDIT: I wasn't sure if it was ok to delete the post or not, I was just complaining that it was in German, even though you said it would be in English too :whistle:

DonCorleone 15-02-2005 12:28 AM

The page definately. But they announced a German AND an English version...

Just have a look under "Das Spiel". There is a point called "Fakten". And there you will see: "Sprache: Dott 2 wird in Deutsch und in Englisch verfügbar sein." which means that there will be two versions of the game...

Cthulhu 15-02-2005 01:02 AM

Thanks for the translation! :D

DonCorleone 15-02-2005 01:17 AM

Well, you´re welcome LOL

Zygny 17-02-2005 11:20 PM

Many Thanks to Natas
ScummVM works a treat, DOTT is up and running and my boy is happy.

Lilja Bjargey 22-02-2005 12:35 PM

I bought this game but I can´t use it because I have XP... I have been all over the internet trying to find a way to use it. Even downloded dosbox which is some simulater for dos but I don´t know how to let it work... do you know?

Chris 22-02-2005 03:01 PM

try this one:

http://www.scummvm.org/

DonCorleone 08-03-2005 04:59 PM

Here you can download a trailer of dott2. To me it looks quite amazing for a fan game...

Modified by Omuletzu
Reason: Direct linking to sites that host warez(10 Mb that's a little too big for a trailer...)

EDIT: Don´t really think so. Think it was an Mpeg2. And it played around 3 minutes I think. So 10mb aren´t that much. But since the site is down, it really might be that you´re right...

Dave 20-03-2005 09:57 AM

Can anyone help? I have lost my manual for dott and i can't get past the protection codes to play the game. Does anyone know where I can get the manual on the net??

Julia 25-03-2005 01:01 AM

Does this game work on Windows XP? It doesnt state what the game's compatibility is on abandonia, i just purchased the game and i dont know how to...make it work. I am positively hopeless when it comes to downloading games or whatever, and if anyone can tell me this, id sure appreciate it very much.

DeathDude 25-03-2005 05:43 AM

Head over to www.scummvm.org and download scummvm and use that to run Day of the Tentacle, that'll make it run very well.

GamerErman 21-04-2005 06:54 AM

They don't sell this in the USA any longer. :not_ok: :cry: :pissed:

A. J. Raffles 21-04-2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GamerErman@Apr 21 2005, 06:54 AM
They don't sell this in the USA any longer. :not_ok:* :cry:* :pissed:
Oh yes, they do. The CD has Sam 'n Max as well, so go for it. :ok: Two great classics for a bit more than $20.00 is a fair price.

Durham 26-04-2005 05:02 PM

Ok, maybe I'm just inept at this thing, but I've been searching for DOTT for quite some time. I just bought Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey Island from LucasArts' website, but contrary to what most of the posts say, I can't seem to find the SamnMax bundle for sale there anymore. Where can I get it now? Do I just have to wait for it to get approved as abandonware?

Where can I get DOTT?!? HELP! Heheh.

A. J. Raffles 26-04-2005 08:39 PM

Have you tried the link I posted earlier?

Guest 01-05-2005 09:38 PM

I've been all over the LucasArts site, too and no DOTT.

Sebatianos 01-05-2005 09:57 PM

Well there are other sites then just LucasArts who sell games (although LucasArts is the publisher).
HERE is the site A. J. Raffles suggested earlier!

bluestreakv 02-05-2005 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kosta@Mar 11 2004, 11:06 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + buy link

Im agree DOTT is a great game but there is a problem you might solve, in some point the game request for a formula that is on a manual, maybe the manual you allow to download is the same but there appears to be an error, would you help me please!!!???' we have this game like 9 years ago and we only get to this point where one haves to create the battery...please help me!!!!!!!! :kosta: ..... its really frustrating to have such a nice game and not playing it :wall: ...well if you want to write me...my email is kanukif@hotmail.com...thank you very much for your time..oh by the way you have really cool :max: games here....

A. J. Raffles 02-05-2005 07:47 PM

The copy protection, you mean? But that's in the manual and there's nothing ambiguous about it as far as I remember.:huh:

A. J. Raffles 04-06-2005 09:32 AM

This may have been bloody obvious to everybody except me, but did you know that when you're running the game in ScummVM, you can set up a separate path for Manic Mansion? That way you don't need to go to Ed's computer in order to play. ScummVM just treats it as a separate game.

t0mme 04-06-2005 09:34 AM

For the Dutch-people: It's for sale for €15 at www.dimplus.nl (Sam n' Max and DOTT on one cd)
Don't know if they ship to other countries though...

O, www.nedgame.com has it too, for €25....

GAD_Dinamo 04-06-2005 10:05 AM

I had DOT cd but i forgot where did i put it:( if i find it i'll send it to you!

4ORE5iGHT 04-06-2005 11:13 AM

This site looked really misleading. From google search, it seemed as if you could download the game from this site.

People are going to download it for free like me, if they cant find it to buy obviously.
Great game, just as I remembered it, but got two issues with it.

Firstly, is there any way to make it not stretch itself to fill the screen?
and
THere is no sound.
A website here http://www.mcwalter.org/tentacle/xp/, said to download a VMsound, but the download link for it doesnt exist anymore.

Plus
I WANT WANT WANT to buy this pack.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ogames&n=468642

With this I would be the happiest person alive. But I cant buy it here in the UK.
Anyone know any sites that would sell it in the UK?

Ive played a bit of DOTT and Fate of atlantis, and was blown away, back in 1998?
I cant wait to play sam and max.

Does anyone remember Jazz Jackrabbit?
Is this "abandonware"?
Can I download it anywhere legally first, before I use alternative methods?
As I know its not selling anywhere.

A. J. Raffles 04-06-2005 11:38 AM

Quote:

This site looked really misleading. From google search, it seemed as if you could download the game from this site.
In that case it's clearly google search which is misleading, not Abandonia. It's specifically stated in several places that this game is NOT for download.
Quote:

People are going to download it for free like me, if they cant find it to buy obviously.
By the same reasoning you might as well say people are going to rob banks if they can't find a working cash dispenser. Those "alternative methods", as you choose to term them, are still illegal, you know.

As for your sound issues: have you tried running the game in ScummVM? It worked wonders for me.

4ORE5iGHT 04-06-2005 12:41 PM

Thta whole "robbing banks" thing is a little extreme. SAy the person that patented the shoelace, decided to withdraw it and not let people use the "technology". Then somebody just getting some string and a plastic tubing, and attempting to meld the two together, is trying to break the law. What, should we just sstart making all shoes with velcro?

Plus, robbing that bank would take too much effort on my part. :D

Anyway, that Scum sorts out the sound and frame/sound synching, but makes the game run in a tiny screen. Also commands such as F1 do not work, so how would I save the game?

I guess I should post in the ScummVM forums, but I guess somebody here will know the solution, having had this program longer than I.

MdaG 04-06-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 4ORE5iGHT@Jun 4 2005, 12:41 PM
Thta whole "robbing banks" thing is a little extreme. SAy the person that patented the shoelace, decided to withdraw it and not let people use the "technology". Then somebody just getting some string and a plastic tubing, and attempting to meld the two together, is trying to break the law. What, should we just sstart making all shoes with velcro?

Plus, robbing that bank would take too much effort on my part. :D

Anyway, that Scum sorts out the sound and frame/sound synching, but makes the game run in a tiny screen. Also commands such as F1 do not work, so how would I save the game?

I guess I should post in the ScummVM forums, but I guess somebody here will know the solution, having had this program longer than I.

Just copy these files from your CD to a folder and tell ScummVM to look there:

MONSTER.SOU
TENTACLE.000
TENTACLE.001

I think that you have to press F5 to access the menu...

4ORE5iGHT 04-06-2005 12:57 PM

sorry. How do you redirect it to the DOTT folder?

Thanks.

Just to verify, will this make the F1 key work?

A. J. Raffles 04-06-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 4ORE5iGHT@Jun 4 2005, 12:41 PM
No, but they might stop for a moment to think whether shoelaces would really important enough to justify breaking a law. After all it's not like you couldn't live without them. You'd still be free to wear other types of shoes like slippers, sandals or wellies, after all.
Similarly, computer games aren't vital, so it isn't as if you didn't have a choice. So saying you were basically forced to download a game illegally is rather a lame excuse in my opinion.

MdaG 04-06-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 4ORE5iGHT@Jun 4 2005, 12:57 PM
sorry. How do you redirect it to the DOTT folder?

Thanks.

Just to verify, will this make the F1 key work?

Just start scummvm and select "add game". Choose the folder where you put the files from the CD.

I can't remember if it's the F1 key or F5 key. In any case it worked for me...

MdaG 04-06-2005 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jun 4 2005, 12:58 PM
No, but they might stop for a moment to think whether shoelaces would really important enough to justify breaking a law. After all it's not like you couldn't live without them. You'd still be free to wear other types of shoes like slippers, sandals or wellies, after all.
Similarly, computer games aren't vital, so it isn't as if you didn't have a choice. So saying you were basically forced to download a game illegally is rather a lame excuse in my opinion.

I agree, but it has to be within certain limits. While I fully support copyright I don't like patents. Did you know that Microsoft owns the idea of notifying others while typing to them in a IM-program. This is used in MSN. I think that's absurd. Silly even. Owning an algorithm should not be allowed.

4ORE5iGHT 04-06-2005 07:10 PM

LOL. I can save games now. THey are just automatically put in the scumvm folder in program files. And the key to load menu, has changed from F1 when playing in DOS, to F5 in ScumVM. WHich is great btw.

Just interested A. J. Raffles, but what is your view on emulator games?

For example, GBA Roms, its legal to own them for 24 hours. After that its illegal, but not illegal if you have the real game that you went out and purchased.
There is nothing stopping somebody "forgetting" to delete the roms from their pc?

Im not trying to say that Im being forced to download this game, but can you argue why I shouldnt?

Companies try to make moeny out of everything. Only when it isn't feisable, they leave things as they are.
They didnt care about online music for a while, only when they started losing moeny, is when they took notice.
In the end they found a way to make moeny from it again. They offer higher quality music files that would be different from those being distributed through P2P software. THerefore people have a choice between the two.
And its said a lot, but I do download singles, which if I like, I get the album ,as I ve never been into buying singles, for half the price of an album. So they are getting more money out of me, than without file sharing programs.

Plus, everyone who uses the net on a daily basis, I know has done some "illegal" things. So, borrowing a friends copy of an album and liking it, and burning it.
Has anybody here never done something like that?

Sorry Im going a bit off-topic, but this type of debatings fun :cheers:
The law is flexible, which is why we have courts. If it was solid set in stone, we would all be in jail now. Maybe except from you A. J. Raffles. :tomato:

A. J. Raffles 04-06-2005 08:54 PM

No need to get personal, 4ORE5iGHT, I wasn't trying to be holier than thou. In fact, you misunderstood me. I'm not saying most software companies aren't acting greedily and only care about making money from their games. But that doesn't change anything about the fact that it's their right to do so and the law is clearly on their side. And if they choose to hold on to the rights while at the same time making it as hard as possible for people to get and play those games, it may seem outrageously unfair to us, but that still doesn't give us the right to obtain and/or distribute those games illegally. The legal situation is pretty clear in that respect; just because few people (if any) are prosecuted for possessing an illegal copy of a computer game, that doesn't necessarily mean the law is "flexible". The excuse that "everybody does it" certainly wouldn't hold as a justification in court.

About the emulator games, I wouldn't know. I've never played any as far as I know. But again, even if a law is completely ludicrous, that doesn't give us the right to break it at will.

On topic again: wasn't it F5 which brought up the save menu in all Lucas Arts games anyway?:huh:

MdaG 04-06-2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jun 4 2005, 08:54 PM
On topic again: wasn't it F5 which brought up the save menu in all Lucas Arts games anyway?:huh:
That's what I thought too.

PsyHam 06-06-2005 01:25 AM

Anybody else upset that LucasArts has redone their company store and it no longer offers the Sam&Max/Day of the Tentacle/Fate of Atlantis/etc. compilations? When did this happen? Does that mean that eBay is now the only place to find these games?

MdaG 06-06-2005 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PsyHam@Jun 6 2005, 01:25 AM
Anybody else upset that LucasArts has redone their company store and it no longer offers the Sam&Max/Day of the Tentacle/Fate of Atlantis/etc. compilations? When did this happen? Does that mean that eBay is now the only place to find these games?
You can still get the games relatively cheap in the stores at least here in Sweden.

A. J. Raffles 06-06-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MdaG@Jun 6 2005, 09:59 AM
You can still get the games relatively cheap in the stores at least here in Sweden.
They haven't been translated into Swedish, though, have they? What a shame. It would have been such a great excuse: "No, I'm not playing computer games. I'm working on my Swedish vocabulary." :D

MdaG 06-06-2005 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles+Jun 6 2005, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A. J. Raffles @ Jun 6 2005, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MdaG@Jun 6 2005, 09:59 AM
They haven't been translated into Swedish, though, have they? What a shame. It would have been such a great excuse: "No, I'm not playing computer games. I'm working on my Swedish vocabulary." :D [/b][/quote]
Hehe, nope and thank God for that. I absolutely hate it when they translate things from english into swedish. It sounds so corny. Luckily they seldom translate. Most swedes speak/read english.

*edit*

I once bought a translated (one of the few) version of the Longest Journey. It was HORRIBLE, listenening to the dialogues in that game. It was like watching a kiddie show. *shivers*. Luckily Xplosiv released an english version of the game for ?4 that I recently bought. It's nice to hear the dialouges as they were meant to be heard.

kOS 06-06-2005 04:39 PM

mdag , you are writing :ot: :ot: ! :)

ps. the same with polish translations, they are really bad :D

Xinithaous 07-06-2005 08:28 AM

O Yeh :Brain:! I have a working copy of Day of the Tentacle in English with voices!

Julian 08-06-2005 02:21 AM

Hello. I have the game running in windows xp through Scummvm And I have background music sound effect and dialouge in the games cut scenes. But other than that the voices do not show up. I get subtitles even when they are not checked. I dont understand why the voices show up in the cut scenes like when u first go down the clock ect. Can somebody give me some advice on getting the voices working? thank you.

A. J. Raffles 08-06-2005 08:15 AM

That could be because you're not playing the CD version. If I remember correctly, there was a version which came on a bunch of floppy discs and which didn't have speech throughout.

MdaG 08-06-2005 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Julian@Jun 8 2005, 02:21 AM
Hello. I have the game running in windows xp through Scummvm And I have background music sound effect and dialouge in the games cut scenes. But other than that the voices do not show up. I get subtitles even when they are not checked. I dont understand why the voices show up in the cut scenes like when u first go down the clock ect. Can somebody give me some advice on getting the voices working? thank you.
Are you sure you don't have the floppy version? Only the CD version has the speech.

Civ-Junkie 18-06-2005 03:11 PM

ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CODE MANUAL FROM FOR DOTT for the super battery planes . cheers

A. J. Raffles 18-06-2005 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Civ-Junkie@Jun 18 2005, 03:11 PM
ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CODE MANUAL FROM FOR DOTT for the super battery planes . cheers
Erm, have you tried here?

Civ-Junkie 18-06-2005 03:15 PM

Your absoulete champion

cheers

A. J. Raffles 18-06-2005 03:24 PM

You're welcome.;)

blastradius14 19-06-2005 08:42 PM

This game is hilarious. I remember when Hoagie falls out of the Chrono-john and smacks his face on the ground.

"Hehehe, Are you gonna use your scalpel? No.... You wanna use mine?"

"Now I am the jailer, and you, you kitty you, are my prisoner! hahahahah!"

Cluey 25-06-2005 06:42 PM

I have this game on CD, its cool. One of my favourite Lucas games.

I remember I had this on Windows 95, 8mb RAM with a 75mhz processor in 1994, with both Indiana Jones games and Monkey Island 2.

Bobbin Threadbare 04-07-2005 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blastradius14@Jun 20 2005, 06:42 AM
"Hehehe, Are you gonna use your scalpel? No.... You wanna use mine?"

"Now I am the jailer, and you, you kitty you, are my prisoner! hahahahah!"

And who's the coolest character? Laverne. No doubt that's not true. Then Green. I'm making a game that involves his band.

Guest 19-07-2005 11:43 AM

hey all , :) i got this game from other source's .... EBAY ^_^ with max and sam hit the road , indiana jones and monkey island :D yeah and im loving it , i know u cant download it but for 5 bucks its quite good

A. J. Raffles 19-07-2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jul 19 2005, 11:43 AM
hey all , :) i got this game from other source's .... EBAY ^_^ with max and sam hit the road , indiana jones and monkey island :D yeah and im loving it , i know u cant download it but for 5 bucks its quite good
Lucky you.:) Did you get the CD version with full speech?

Sebatianos 19-07-2005 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jul 19 2005, 01:43 PM
You got a real bargin!!! I had to pay 40$ for the game archive (probably the same set of games), but I got it in a store some 10 years ago.

Amayirot Akago 26-07-2005 07:52 PM

I still have the original CD version of this game that came with the LucasArts Archives (an awesome collection containing LucasArts' best games, such as Sam & Max and Indy 4). Absolutely brilliant game with interesting puzzles ;) The whole time travel aspect adds a great twist to the puzzles as well.

blastradius14 27-07-2005 04:13 AM

Yes, the games were awesome, especially when you have to think a little bit about how to do something. There is a site with some fan games that challenge your brain a little more than this one somewhere. Especially this wierd Herman the Hermit game.

strangelove 15-08-2005 01:59 AM

:D This has to be one of the best adventures of all time! Even though the interface is somewhat primitive the graphics still look great and have tons of detail and nice little touches. The plot though rivals monkey island for sheer brilliance, the way things change as you alter time is just hillarious and the characters are all memorable and charming in their own ways. It's a shame that it isn't available for download but if ever there was a game worth a fiver off ebay this has to be it!

blastradius14 15-08-2005 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by strangelove@Aug 14 2005, 08:59 PM
:D This has to be one of the best adventures of all time! Even though the interface is somewhat primitive the graphics still look great and have tons of detail and nice little touches. The plot though rivals monkey island for sheer brilliance, the way things change as you alter time is just hillarious and the characters are all memorable and charming in their own ways. It's a shame that it isn't available for download but if ever there was a game worth a fiver off ebay this has to be it!
Primitive? Primitive? No, pong is primitive. Its interface was better than doom3 was when it was made. You know why? Because doom3 wasn't made back then. ( just for comparison) For a dos game at the time it was a good wonder.

This game's game within a game function is perhaps the best idea that Lucas Arts ever had.

Seven 21-08-2005 11:55 PM

BEST ADVENTURE GAME EVER!!! :cry: so many hours.... days... mounths...

RED GREEN BONES

blastradius14 24-08-2005 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheChosen@Aug 21 2005, 06:24 AM
....or search from the other abandonware sites.
I know a couple of sites that has the Day of the Tentacle available for download.
*The distinguished members and admins start gathering weapons*
But im not allowed to tell you anything,sorry. :whistle:
*The distinguished members and admins calm down and hide their weapons*

Hey man. Don't even start talking stuff like this.

Just say: look somewhere else on the net, and no I cannot help you. :D

Y'know the last time they were going at us :whistle:

It took me a little while to figure out how you got Laverne's way back to work...

DonCorleone 30-10-2005 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DonCorleone@Mar 8 2005, 05:59 PM
Here you can download a trailer of dott2. To me it looks quite amazing for a fan game...

Modified by Omuletzu
Reason: Direct linking to sites that host warez(10 Mb that's a little too big for a trailer...)

:blink: Pardon me, warez ??? Back in the days I just watched a trailer of DoTT2.

Didn´t know they hosted warez. But considering the fact that the site isn´t reachable

right now, you may be right. So sorry for the trouble I might have brought to the

board.

Still hoping you´re not right and there will be the second DoTT in the near future.

The trailer really looked good. Even if I have to admit that 10mb are a little huge for

it...

didn´t recognize this fact.

EDIT2: Well and here some proof from a well known german computer-games

magazine: http://www.pcaction.de/?article_id=334220

Sorry again...

EDIT3: Checked it again. As far as I can see, the trailer is set to high quality and you

need a divx-codec to watch it. So why you state I was postin warez-links... :blink: it

might really be as big as it is... and no you can´t play the first part by watching this

demo...

Silus 09-11-2005 08:22 AM

:help: STILL HAVE IT!!!! Its true, box, manual, 3.5 disks--all in great condition! Problem, dos games + Windows Xp dont usually go well. Anyone from old school remember "Prompt $p$g, buffers=x number" and that stuff so I can get it to run?

A. J. Raffles 09-11-2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Silus@Nov 9 2005, 09:22 AM
:help: STILL HAVE IT!!!! Its true, box, manual, 3.5 disks--all in great condition! Problem, dos games + Windows Xp dont usually go well. Anyone from old school remember "Prompt $p$g, buffers=x number" and that stuff so I can get it to run?
It should run beautifully in ScummVM, though. Have you tried that yet?

blastradius14 20-11-2005 05:10 PM

Yes, there are some sites out there that do not even know that the ESA is after their asses. However, please refrain from linking to other sites... as we will sensor you if it is innappropriate.

Does anyone know how the fake barf got stuck to the ceiling?

A. J. Raffles 20-11-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blastradius14@Nov 20 2005, 06:10 PM
Must have been one of the tentacles. They should be able to walk up walls, right?

Sebatianos 20-11-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blastradius14@Nov 20 2005, 08:10 PM
Well it was a wild party you know...

DonCorleone 20-11-2005 05:31 PM

Wheew! Just begun to replay it yesterday. Finally I managed to get the talkie version...

A. J. Raffles 20-11-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DonCorleone@Nov 20 2005, 06:31 PM
Wheew! Just begun to replay it yesterday. Finally I managed to get the talkie version...
Lucky you. The talkie version's twice the fun. "Yoo-hoo, Mr Tentacle Guy!" :D

DeathDude 20-11-2005 07:24 PM

For sure the talkie version is the one ya got to have, just not the same playing the non speech version, talkie all the way.

Christian 22-11-2005 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by blastradius14@Nov 20 2005, 06:10 PM
Maybe someone barfed upon it and threw it up to the ceiling... I honestly don't know :)

SupSuper 22-11-2005 02:00 PM

Yes the talkie version is awesome, loved the voices of the IRS guys :D

I must've beaten the game 3 times now, once on plain DOS, once on DOSBox, and now on SCUMMvm + talkie version.

Eva02Soul 22-11-2005 02:49 PM

I've actually still got the original talkie cd, complete with strategy guide that came with it. Yep, the talkie is the way to go. It would have been really hilarious if they credited uncle Ted with a voice actor.

"Cheap, Mail-Order Jewels!"

A. J. Raffles 22-11-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eva02Soul@Nov 22 2005, 03:49 PM
I've actually still got the original talkie cd, complete with strategy guide that came with it. Yep, the talkie is the way to go. It would have been really hilarious if they credited uncle Ted with a voice actor.
It's Dead Cousin Ted. That's a sign: you ought to play the game again.:P

Eva02Soul 22-11-2005 03:38 PM

You know, you're right. Can I use CD's with ScummVM?

Sebatianos 22-11-2005 03:42 PM

Should work, but it works perfectly with DOSBox (I should know - played it a few times already) :angel:

caffeine 22-11-2005 03:55 PM

scummvm is also a great option. i don't know if a modern SDL app has any benefits over a dos virtual machine (or vice versa), but it just feels nicer playing it on a brand spanking new engine. :)

yeah. dott is one of those games that makes you really wish you could just forget the entire game and play it again. and again. and again. and...

i think dott is one of the most clever games i've ever played.

A. J. Raffles 22-11-2005 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eva02Soul@Nov 22 2005, 04:38 PM
You know, you're right. Can I use CD's with ScummVM?
Of course you can.

Eva02Soul 23-11-2005 03:08 AM

Oh, wow. Just played it again, and after all that time it can still make me crack up laughing. Hoagie is the man.

"Hey, aren't you the hundred-dollar guy?"

DonCorleone 06-12-2005 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles+Nov 20 2005, 07:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A. J. Raffles @ Nov 20 2005, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DonCorleone@Nov 20 2005, 06:31 PM
Lucky you. The talkie version's twice the fun. "Yoo-hoo, Mr Tentacle Guy!" :D [/b][/quote]
Yaeh, it really increases the fun-factor, hehe.

By the way: the guys that are making DOTT2 have published a christmas goodie on

their site. Have look! (If that is considered as warez then just delete the link. I don´t

see it as a warez link) GOODIE

And: What do you think about Maniac Mansion Mania ?

Unfortunately it´s just in German. But maybe you´re interested, though...

blastradius14 07-12-2005 04:26 PM

Well, eventually I bet it will get put into english. They did it for 1503...

"Upstairs, am I upstairs? I got lost..."
Really hard to get lost in that house hehe...

Guest 07-12-2005 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blastradius14@Dec 7 2005, 05:26 PM
"Upstairs, am I upstairs? I got lost..."
Really hard to get lost in that house hehe...

Although when you first play the game you'll try to follow Dr. Fred and when he disappears you'll really think you're lost :P

BillehJR 01-05-2006 05:33 AM

LINK REMOVED haz it no 1 cept ebay sell it so day don care an sam @ max dat owned by telltale game too dey dun care cuz day onli want right to make nutha game. even dey dun got a buy linkz so ther you go.

I shall now go through and re-write your post, correcting your horrible grammar

This site that the awesome ReamusLQ removed hosts Day of the Tentacle. No one sells this game except for ebay, so thie previously mentioned doesn't care about hosting it. They also host Sam and Max, and claim that Telltale Game only has the rights so they can make another great adventure game.

Corrections by Tom

This site, that the awesome ReamusLQ removed the link for, hosts Day of the Tentacle. No one sells this game except for ebay, so the previously mentioned site doesn't care about hosting it. They also host Sam and Max, and claim that Telltale Game <cut cut> has the rights so they can make another great adventure game.

Further Corrections by Tom

Both games are sold - here...

And another Correction by Tom

Dang it... sold out... oh well, guess I have to change the links on the list... They are now as ESA Protected as can be. :ok:

Shuntaro 19-05-2006 10:11 AM

This game is one of the best EVER!!!! I played this game and sam & max for a very long time in my youth and now thanks to dosbox and this website i can now play them again!!! Life rules!!!!

philippe 21-06-2006 07:51 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LICIUZ @ Nov 18 2004, 01:46 PM) [snapback]27552[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i'm having some tech problems with my DOTT game... i think it's some sound glitch... i hear the background music, but there's no speech and other sound effects :cry:

[/b]
ive encountered the same problem but im not sure why

Frodo 21-06-2006 08:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philippe @ Jun 21 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]238553[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LICIUZ @ Nov 18 2004, 01:46 PM) [snapback]27552[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
ive encountered the same problem but im not sure why
[/b][/quote]

Have you tried using SCUMM to play the game? That should solve your problems.
You can download it from here - http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs

:ok:

The Fifth Horseman 22-06-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

ive encountered the same problem but im not sure why[/b]
Also possible that your copy of the game is a CD-RIP and the speech/sounds were removed to save space.

blastradius14 23-06-2006 02:03 AM

Or, your game detects midi and can play music through that, but speech doesn't run very well through roland/midi.

Lauralegend 17-09-2006 02:30 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LICIUZ @ Nov 18 2004, 01:46 PM) [snapback]27552[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Have you tried pressing CTRL + T?? thats what i seemed to remember turned subtitles voice and sound effects on and off. try it.

Rockmolder 27-09-2006 02:08 PM

This game is just fantastic, got this one when i just started playing PC games and played it all the way to the end without playing any other game :brain:

narkooegle 01-10-2006 01:09 PM

Just as Sam and Max came out in a version that runs well in Windows, will this game also come out in such a version, or has it already???
I mean that it should not be the same version as the original cd, but a windows-compatibel-version.

Because these kind of games are worth supporting.

The Fifth Horseman 02-10-2006 01:36 PM

Actually, the "windows compatibility" of recent re-releases is a result of integrating DosBox with the games, not actual re-doing of the code to support modern hardware. Lame-o.

narkooegle 24-10-2006 05:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Oct 2 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]258871[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Actually, the "windows compatibility" of recent re-releases is a result of integrating DosBox with the games, not actual re-doing of the code to support modern hardware. Lame-o.
[/b]
[sarcasm] oh, I love when I get a friendly answer [/sarcasm]

Icewolf 25-10-2006 07:13 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narkooegle @ Oct 24 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]263330[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[sarcasm] oh, I love when I get a friendly answer [/sarcasm][/b]
Oh, well. He's harsh once in a while, but basically he's a good mod. (look, he's 1337! :sneaky: )
Don't mind him go :hammer: when someone asks "beginner" questions. He heard them 'bout 236995 times. So his kindness sometimes slips... ^_^

The Fifth Horseman 25-10-2006 02:20 PM

Narkoegle, in my opinion the publishers simply chickened out with the "solution" they used. That's why I consider what they did to be lame.

winniepooh 24-04-2007 06:13 PM

Is the game still being sold anywhere?

Sebatianos 24-04-2007 07:00 PM

How's THIS for a start?

The Fifth Horseman 25-04-2007 01:14 PM

Or this?

Guest 03-05-2007 03:24 AM

haha how about this: *REMOVED* oh and it's free!!!!!!

they got some sort of payment thing going on where they pay with ads from their other sites to get them and stuff. pretty cool.

-Removed the link. Sorry, no one is allowed to post here site's where you can get ESA-protected games. TC.

Blood-Pigggy 15-06-2007 09:37 PM

The site you link to buy this from is not very useful, apparently you can't order the game, and the type of payment required is not very clear.

piedlourde 21-07-2007 05:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Decalies @ Jun 25 2004, 08:51 AM) [snapback]3843[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

IF I remember correctly the game 'maniac mansion' can actually be played in the game DAy of the Tentacle. Somewhere in the game there is terminal or so, where MM can be played.
BTW, there is a free remake of maniac mansion in VGA:
http://people.freenet.de/lucasfangames/man...c/games_eng.htm
[/b]

It's been a while since I played both MM and DOTT, but as I recall you can play the original Maniac Mansion, in all its pixelated glory, if you use the computer in Weird Ed's room on the third floor of the hotel (in the 1900s, that is...)

Joshsux 24-09-2007 09:12 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stroggy @ Oct 16 2004, 12:07 AM) [snapback]17689[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

there was a large thread on the gamespot forums about why lucasarts doesn't want to release its older games for free (like Bethesda did with arena)
there eventually was no answer.
[/b]
They do not answer because they do not care anymore, Lucas Arts do not sell the games on their website anymore, only places like Amazon now sell it, that is why i was told by an admin at some warez site why they were allowed to host it on their website.

matdmb 28-01-2008 08:49 AM

omg

omg for real

Sebatianos 29-01-2008 07:10 AM

No!

I doubt anybody ever alowed them to host the games. It's just possible ESA and LucasArts haven't come knocking on their IP yet.

_r.u.s.s. 29-01-2008 07:20 AM

or they could be from sweden or something :P

thetitan 29-01-2008 06:58 PM

DoT is one of my favorite games. Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle are two of the first quest games I ever plaid and actually completed. Lol. Loads of fun.

skepticcs 30-05-2008 02:12 AM

So with LucasArts leaving ESA, now may be a good time to start talking about this great game. I hope we see it up here soon. I'm dying to play it again.

Sebatianos 30-05-2008 06:37 PM

You're not the only one who hopes this game will become abandonware soon, but unfortunately LucasArts do protect their games - they just decided to leave ESA - which was basically just the watchdog LucasArts (and other companies) hired to protect their games.

_r.u.s.s. 31-05-2008 02:13 PM

btw did fifth contact about the games yet? ...

The Fifth Horseman 31-05-2008 04:33 PM

Not yet, because I must have clarification from Kosta on a few things. I've sent him an e-mail about it last week and am waiting for a response.

KrisViking 19-07-2008 12:20 AM

First played it when it was fresh off the line.

This game is a classic and is, if any of the new gamers are ignorant of it, a sequel to Maniac Mansion. I never really got far into the original, but this rocks. I first played it in 1993 when it was pretty much brand new and my dad had gotten a copy from some friend of his. So we played it though the protection system was always annoying, but that little annoyance was well worth it because DOTT is simply one of the best and funniest games there are.

Initially all the playing was of course the floppy version with only midi, but I always loved it and when I was out of town when I was about 12(1996) I had an opportunity to buy the CD-rom talkie version in the white label box and needless to say I bought it without hesitation and the voices added a whole new dimension to the game. Bernard Bernouli really sounds dorky, Hoagies the endearing comments to the Edison brothers "I'm no marble deliveryman, but rock is my life" and the emphasis on the semi-psychopathic features of Laverne had me in heaven. I still have that game, the cd is still in near excellent condition after 12 years and I enjoy it with ScummVM along with the old Sam & Max: Hit the Road which I bought a year or so later.

I say to you people that if you can get a copy then buy it. It is still such a good game after 15 years. Way to go Lucasarts :)

aretelio 28-10-2008 06:02 PM

This smiley sums up this game: :thumbs:

That's exactly what you feel like when you play it. I'm almost thirty and I still catch myself using quotes from this game. Love it!

gumpy 17-06-2009 07:10 PM

Fun, but a little bit too goofy for me. I like Maniac Mansion better.

Berlioz 18-07-2009 10:55 PM

DotT!

Wow, such a great game, I loved it way back when I was a kid.
The characters are amazingly manic and amiable, always making me smile, while the story is really funny. I always liked to operate in different times and change the future by acting in the past.
The only drawback is, that a few puzzles are kind of random or even illogical, like the important part how to free Laverne. But I never cared.

After seeing it here, I replayed it (had the disk version in a dusty box).
Took me like 15 minutes, because I remembered nearly every puzzle. :(

I hope they'll finish the fan project DotT 2 soon, looks great!

bishop84 10-08-2009 01:40 AM

the nice play there come old zeit again upwards.
I please me already on play :thumbs:

knobfer 10-08-2009 08:26 AM

I play this on the DS. I missed it the first time round but managed to pick up a CD version in a sale somewhere. great game so far!!

Heres a link if anyone wants to download the DS version of SCUMMVM.

davesx 18-10-2009 05:26 PM

DOT Triangular Box

Hello all,

I have to say Day of the Tentacle is one of my all time favorite games. I don't go back to it like my old strategy games (master of Magic, colonization, etc.) but it was one of the funniest games. I wish someone would go back and make the old style animation adventure games again.

I was a nut about keeping my old boxes and wanted to know if there is a market value on the Day of the Tentacle triangular box. I can't find anything on it anywhere.

ComboTroop 18-10-2009 07:42 PM

Ah that game, im gonna give it ago, i played that one, Something Mansion i forgot the time, but both games look good

Frodo 18-10-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComboTroop (Post 385828)
i played that one, Something Mansion i forgot the time, but both games look good

It's Maniac Mansion - prequal to Day Of The Tentacle. A truly wonderful game. :thumbs:

Mystvan 22-08-2017 01:20 AM

Although I love nonsense stuff, I did not really like the graphics of the game because the proportions of people and objects were pure nonsense... :wacko: :tease:

I was very fond of Ben Franklin and his future descendant (present), as they needed a mask not to spread the spatter rain... :drool: :sleep:

Mystvan 26-04-2018 12:32 AM

So funny!

As I had stated for the Chair-man Cyber-Bonk :chair: Bonk! Bonk! Bonk! In the 2-D world there are 02 ways to flatten a head.

02 ways to flatten a head!

Just as in my small tribute to the wisest and noblest Computron, there are also 2 ways of combining to merge into a powerful and imposing Combiner / Gestalt!

Tribute to Computron

Curiously, in this game there is a strange reference or coincidence or similarity with my concept of Cmbiner / Gestalt. See the screenshots and draw your conclusions...

My great cruel doubt is whether this sublime Gestalt is Computron mentioned earlier or whether it is the most powerful and courageous Gestalt constituted by the combination of 03 Twinsens...

Computron or Twinsens?

I sincerely hope that the legendary Miss Lulu_Jane Marple :lulu: and the always “humble” Air-cule Parrot can decipher a riddle so mysterious and secret... May the Force be with them! :lightsaber: Whoops. :whops: I mean, may the Brainiac be with them! :braindead:

alirafami 31-05-2018 09:49 AM

Day of the Tentacle is even funnier than LucasArt’s past adventures. If you like a bit of comedy, or if you’ve play Maniac Mansion, then it’s worth buying this game

Kippesoep 14-06-2022 11:00 PM

Wrong category?

How come DOTT is in the "Action" category rather than "Adventure"?

Smiling Spectre 19-06-2022 10:37 PM

*grim* It happens. Now and again. Since engine was "modernized", it loves to destroy categories. I changed it for some time, but gave up quite long ago.

But as you noticed it, I'll change. :)

The current time is 04:11 AM (GMT)