Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Approved Requests (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Blade Runner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4491)

Playbahnosh 16-04-2005 03:58 PM

Blade Runner

I would like to ask if Blade Runner is an abandonware now? I don't see it on Westwood's homepage, nor heard from it for a long time, and I can't find a place to buy it on Hungary. In addition, I only found second-hand boxed versions on net, and all the stores online (if has) has Blade Runner "out of stock".

If it IS actually abandonware, considering support and sales are cancelled from Westwood, I'd like to see on this site if you can do it!
That's tha best sci-fi adventure game on my opinion. :ok:

TheVoid 16-04-2005 04:08 PM

That's indeed one of the finest adventures I've ever played.
It could be abandonware, tho I'm not sure. But its size (3 or 4 CDs) is far too big to make it available in this site.

Omuletzu 16-04-2005 04:10 PM

Sadly this gem is not abandoned yet... :angry:

efthimios 16-04-2005 11:46 PM

Yes, one of my favourite adventures!
In the recent past a couple of people tried to buy it off me, but I had to say no. Too special for that. :-)

Playbahnosh 17-04-2005 08:20 PM

Not abandonware? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh man! :cry:
I cannot BUY it anywhere! Not even second-hand! :cry:
I HAVE TO GET IT!!! That's the greatest adventure I've ever seen, and only played
it for a halfn hour. :ranting:
That should be abandoware by now... :blink:
The size can be greatly reduced if you take out some movies, musics, sounds...etc,
so that cannot be a problem. Later those coud be downloaded from the V.I.P. section :evil: :whistle:

Anyway, If ANYBODY knows a *decent*( :whistle: ) way to get that game, possibly in europe, PLEASE TELL ME! I BE YA! :cry: :help:

Ehhe :D

BeefontheBone 17-04-2005 08:49 PM

careful - that could be interpreted as a warez request, and we don't take kindly to them roun' thse parts!

Tom Henrik 17-04-2005 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Omuletzu@Apr 16 2005, 04:10 PM
Sadly this gem is not abandoned yet... :angry:
All my findings claim the game to be abandoned. Must do another dig :)

Zarkumo 17-04-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Playbahnosh@Apr 17 2005, 08:20 PM
Anyway, If ANYBODY knows a *decent*( :whistle: ) way to get that game, possibly in europe, PLEASE TELL ME!
I got it on German eBay for €4. Mint condition (sort of). :)

Tom Henrik 17-04-2005 09:12 PM

Here, you were right Omuletzu :ok:

Blade Runner $18.77

Playbahnosh 19-04-2005 11:07 AM

Oh funk it! I thought it is abandonware. Oh well, then I have to wait another decade to get it! I don't have 19$, and that is much Forint. just multiply it with 180.
And add the postal fee. Noo, not now. I just wait as i did. It must become abandonware sooner or later :evil:

thx for the infos guys! :kosta: :ok:

BeefontheBone 19-04-2005 01:32 PM

Well, yes, but it's unlikely to be hosted by many places because of its enormous size.

Allen 19-04-2005 04:08 PM

Heh, I remember seeing this advertised on GMTV (British Breakfast show crap) and they were talking to Harrison Ford and Sean Bean. Always wanted to play it, but never find it (cheap) in stores.

red_avatar 20-04-2005 03:21 AM

I own it twice and it's pretty damn good but you CAN get stuck - because of errors you make or because of bugs in the random events in the game. Also, when I first played it back in 1997 it was a bit annoying because I couldn't always understand the speech because there was no subtitles. It's better now though, easier to understand - and the graphics were extremely ace at the time and even still good!

Playbahnosh 20-04-2005 02:54 PM

Guess what? I just wrote e-mail to Westwood, asking tech support for Blade Runner. I got no response. Than i got in some westwood related forum, and heard that i wont get any answer becouse, Blade Runner is abandoned. No support avalible and no sales either. Those who sell Blade Runner still, they must havesome left, but not many. Only second hand....
So I think it IS abandonware after all, despite they sell it someplace still...
The sise is no problem. Some movies and musics, effects can be ataken out, and thats a huge part of that game. It can be greatly reduced, if someone does a RIP.

That's all for now... :ok:

Stroggy 20-04-2005 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Playbahnosh@Apr 20 2005, 02:54 PM
Guess what? I just wrote e-mail to Westwood, asking tech support for Blade Runner. I got no response. Than i got in some westwood related forum, and heard that i wont get any answer becouse, Blade Runner is abandoned.
Ehm... Westwood doesn't exist anymore :blink:

I have Blade Runner here. Its a pretty nfity game, but I've only managed to finish it once or twice. I always found it to be a pretty difficult game. I believe it has about 7 different endings depending on your character (you can set the main character's personality) and the actions in the game.
At one point early on in the game, for example, you can: Run after a fleeing replicant and:
- shoot him (or it) on the spot
- Corner him and engage in conversation after which you either let him go or you kill him
- Let him flee

These 4 different actions can change the way characters think of you.

As I said, pretty nifty game with a lot of different situations/scenes/dialogue-options to unlock (I've seen screenshots of places and situations inside the game that I haven't seen... and i've finished it twice)

However even if it was abandonware, its still too big, it has a lot of animations spread over quite a few CDs

efthimios 20-04-2005 04:39 PM

From someone who doesn't have any money for games for months now here is my advice. Since the game can be found, buy it! Removing the music and animations etc is a sacrifice that will leave you with a way too crippled game to enjoy. This is a good adventure game, and if you like the movie and film noir then just get it!

Playbahnosh 23-04-2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by efthimios@Apr 20 2005, 05:39 PM
From someone who doesn't have any money for games for months now here is my advice. Since the game can be found, buy it! Removing the music and animations etc is a sacrifice that will leave you with a way too crippled game to enjoy. This is a good adventure game, and if you like the movie and film noir then just get it!
"Just get it!", "Just buy it!" DAMIT THATS ALL I HEAR! :Titan:

I know that! I supposed to buy it! And as I told you before: I CANNOT GET IT!
See, I live in hungary. I searched every game store and web-game store in hungary. Results: "Never seen that in ages!", "Out of stock!", "We dont sell a game THAT old!", "We just sold the last one, sorry!", "A Blade what?", "Buy HL2 instead!"
See that? I REALLY want to buy it, but unfortunety I can't.
Probably you will say: "Buy it online". Okay, that can be done, but just imagine the postal cost from USA to Hungary. Thats 4 times more that the games cost.
If I had that mucho peso, I've already bought it, I swear.
Anyway, if anybody has Balde Runner and wants to sell it, please contact me!
Please :cry:

Flop 23-04-2005 10:00 AM

I have often had the same problem here in Denmark. It's strange that games are discontinued so soon after beeing released. Just a few years after the release of any game, it's practically impossible to find a store that carries it. In situations like this your only option is to order it online. Ýour best bet is probably amazon.co.uk. They're all used, and they're all shipped from UK, so the overall cost should be fairly low. I hope this helps.

efthimios 23-04-2005 10:55 AM

Well, I am not from the USA (yet) so I wasn't so much talking about getting it from there, but, there are good online companies in europe as well. play.com amazon etc

Tom Henrik 23-04-2005 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Playbahnosh@Apr 23 2005, 09:41 AM

See, I live in hungary. I searched every game store and web-game store in hungary. Results: "Never seen that in ages!", "Out of stock!", "We dont sell a game THAT old!", "We just sold the last one, sorry!", "A Blade what?", "Buy HL2 instead!"
Probably you will say: "Buy it online". Okay, that can be done, but just imagine the postal cost from USA to Hungary. Thats 4 times more that the games cost.

That doesn't matter.

The game is still sold, and thus it isn't abandoned. The only way you are getting this game is by buying it online or to buy it seconhand.

You will not get any other advice from this forum.

PrejudiceSucks 23-04-2005 05:08 PM

He's right, you know. Anything still sold anywhere is still ont abondonware.

I, on the other hand cannot wait for Total Annihilation to become abandonware, however long it may take. It is nearly impossible to get here in the UK.

Tom, does selling something second-hand really count? My local Gamestation has loads of really old games second hand for about two pounds, but they are not sold anywhere else at all. I looked just about everywhere.

Tom Henrik 23-04-2005 05:58 PM

Second hand doesn't count, but the link I gave for Blade Runner isn't second hand.

red_avatar 24-04-2005 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Playbahnosh+Apr 23 2005, 09:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Playbahnosh @ Apr 23 2005, 09:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-efthimios@Apr 20 2005, 05:39 PM
From someone who doesn't have any money for games for months now here is my advice.* Since the game can be found, buy it! Removing the music and animations etc is a sacrifice that will leave you with a way too crippled game to enjoy.* This is a good adventure game, and if you like the movie and film noir then just get it!

... [/b][/quote]
That's not always true - USA mail is just hideously expensive compared to most other countries so try looking in other stores online or on eBay for sellers from Europe. In Belgium we could ship a game like Bladerunner for a mere €5 to Hungary.

Playbahnosh 27-04-2005 09:07 PM

well, thanks for all the posts and advices. Really :ok:
I really appriciate the help!
I will buy Blade Runner if I can, but don't expect much...

After all, this is a great game, worth having!

THX again! :ok:

BugMeNot 23-05-2007 09:40 PM

Blade Runner

I search this cant find it in the stores

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/334...e28fronhd7.jpg

Mighty Midget 23-05-2007 09:51 PM

Blade Runner is protected.

Just in case you didn't know: On the main Abandonia page, there is an Oldwarez link, click it and search for the title. Then you will see the status on the game, wether it's protected or not.

You can also try eBay to see if any copies are for sale there.

_r.u.s.s. 23-05-2007 10:00 PM

hmm but thats strange, cause on oldwarez list it says 'westwood' in company field, but on mobygames it says that it was published by 'virgin interactive entertainment' http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/blade-runner
and for example ignition, which is also from 1997 published by virgin, is abandonware.

(btw isnt ebay like user-to-user trading?)

Mighty Midget 23-05-2007 10:06 PM

eBay is an auction site, if I'm correct.

About that mess-up with the companies, I wouldn't know, so I choose to trust the OWL for the sake of harmony at home.

_r.u.s.s. 23-05-2007 10:12 PM

i would wait for fifth horseman to post :D
by the way. it is auction site, but i meant that its not that companies sold their games 'massively' there (thats what i mean with user-to-user) you can also find the mentioned ignition for trade and its also abandonware http://cgi.ebay.com/IGNITION-PC-Game-By-Vi...6QQcmdZViewItem

Mighty Midget 23-05-2007 11:07 PM

From Wiki's VIE entry
Quote:

The British studio operations were acquired in a management buyout led by fomer Managing Director Tim Chaney in 1998. The U.S. operations were sold to Electronic Arts as part of its acquisition of Westwood Studios that same year.[/b]
So, I guess you're right in that VIE published the game, but it was later bought, enter Westwood.

_r.u.s.s. 24-05-2007 08:51 AM

so.. ignition on the site should be esa protected as well? :unsure:

The Fifth Horseman 24-05-2007 02:43 PM

Blade Runner is off-limits until next year.

Subach 24-05-2007 04:52 PM

but is a big one to download its a whoppin 4 cds!

_r.u.s.s. 24-05-2007 05:02 PM

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showforum=43

Dave 14-07-2007 08:12 AM

We will approve this in 2008, Iso Cellar :ok:

Luchsen 02-01-2008 08:39 PM

It's 2008, it's unprotection time, and I just added Ermuli's upload of Blade Runner to the ISO Cellar. :D

Luchsen 02-01-2008 08:41 PM

It's 2008, it's unprotection time, Blade Runner is sold out, and I just added Ermuli's upload to the ISO Cellar. :D

PrincessCasey 18-01-2013 07:30 PM

I have very fond memories of that game, I loved the way you could enhance the pictures like from the movie, its only now that I'm a little older do I see the true beauty of the story line as I think I was about 14 when I first played it.

Reading about it it sounds better than I remember! 4 endings? Seriously? I did beat it with a lot of help from my brother but I had no idea it had other endings!

Ooh I'd so love to play it again, but I have a horrible feeling it will be a WINDOWS 98 ONLY RAAAAARRRRR like my old disney games are :'(

RRS 18-01-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessCasey (Post 448812)
4 endings?

MobyGames says 12 :)

Capo 19-01-2013 04:37 PM

This game is a masterpiece, if you want a review call me.

PrincessCasey 19-01-2013 05:35 PM

I would very much like to play this again, I don't know if I've the patience to find 12 endings but who knows...I love the movie and I did see it recently...

The trouble is my connection is very very slow, 4 cds will take me over a week and use a lot of my bandwidth, if anyone has confirmation that it can run on Windows 7 then that would be great :)

I also have some questions about running windows 98 in a virtual machine, but they are beyond the scope of this, but if you get it to run that way please let me know :) although it would be easiest for me if windows 7 can run it natively!

Japo 19-01-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessCasey (Post 448845)
I also have some questions about running windows 98 in a virtual machine, but they are beyond the scope of this, but if you get it to run that way please let me know :) although it would be easiest for me if windows 7 can run it natively!

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...501#compatmode

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28390

PrincessCasey 19-01-2013 08:38 PM

I guess I'm going to have to suck it and see with the VM. I remember reading about them ages ago about how they just don't work for games, something to do with the way full screen works, admittedly though that was several years ago, and computer technology moves on every half a second :)

Japo 19-01-2013 08:51 PM

Don't worry, they do work. :) But it's always better to try and run the game natively, it often works. The first link can help you with that.

Mambaru 03-01-2015 05:56 PM

I think that I've not only still got my original copy. But also the game guide, the guide is massive, like an encyclopedia. IIRC it detailed every single possible ending and how to get each one.

Might have to dig the lot back up XD

The current time is 03:51 PM (GMT)