Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Scary,gorey,violent,atmospheric....horror Games (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3851)

Sean 17-03-2005 03:28 PM

Whos knows of some?

Commerical or Non Commerical

I dont care if there old or new.. i just want to know a good horror so i can go and get it!

Chris 17-03-2005 03:30 PM

Shadow of the Comet

Alone in the dark

Phantasmagoria

Resident Evil

Nightmare Creatures

Havell 17-03-2005 03:51 PM

Clive Barker's Undying scared the crap out of me and System Shock 2 (avalible off the Underdogs) is just good.

Stroggy 17-03-2005 03:55 PM

Well if you want gore I suggest Phantasmagoria.

Very atmospheric scary games are the Thief games.
Thief III probably has one of the best, most atmosphericand above all scariest level I have every played (too bad a lot of people didn't like the rest of the game)

TaloN 17-03-2005 03:56 PM

AMerican McGees Alice scared the *meep* outta me, so messed up.

gory? fallout :D

DeathDude 17-03-2005 04:24 PM

5 days a stranger and 7 days a skeptic were kinda scary and they had there share of gore moments.

troop18546 17-03-2005 04:26 PM

Well any Doom game is gory, and the best choise of horror and scary games I'd suggest is Doom3... :whistle:
Another gory game full of violence, any MK game...

Strobe 17-03-2005 04:34 PM

i recommend:

- alien vs. predator 2 (i've never played part one, though)

- system shock 1

and if not for the scaryness then for mere dark atmosphere

- ultima underworld 1 & 2

- halflife 1

- return to castle wolfenstein

EDIT: supporting rhavell's suggestion of clive barker's undying, i encourage
you to try this one first! it's REALLY scary!!

wormpaul 17-03-2005 05:13 PM

Recommended:

SANITARIUM

Very creepy :bleh:

Rogue 17-03-2005 05:23 PM

Silent Hill - Playstation

Maikel 17-03-2005 05:31 PM

Scary?

Undying!

Made me climb in the curtains where doom 3 failed :D

Undying, Thief series, Phantasmagoria had some sick stuff in it to.

for the weirdness factor I would say American mcgee's Alice

Tom Henrik 17-03-2005 05:51 PM

Silent Hill series.

Tulac 17-03-2005 05:52 PM

Undying certainly, Silent Hill, hmm I can't think of any other, most games don't scare me too much, but when I was younger even Doom was scary for me.
Gory - that would be Postal...

troop18546 17-03-2005 06:02 PM

Another good game of gore and horror + scary and grotesquism is:
"The Suffering".

Mad-E-Fact 17-03-2005 06:03 PM

I have to agree on Undying, it really had some scary moments, especially when it was new and you didn't know what to expect. Silent Hill was rather depressing than scary, I couldn't take it for too long. ;) Don't know which part I played it though...

Lizard 17-03-2005 06:31 PM

Silent Hill series :kosta: ,System Shock 2,AvP2(only as marine) AvP1(the best and scariest multiplayer ever :ph34r: ).Never played Undying but it look interesting,maybe try it sometimes LOL

Tom Henrik 17-03-2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lizard@Mar 17 2005, 07:31 PM
Silent Hill series :kosta: ,System Shock 2,AvP2(only as marine) AvP1(the best and scariest multiplayer ever :ph34r: ).
I can only play that game as Marine. They say it is the most difficult race to play, but for me I found it to be a lot better. (Guess I am used to being human, and using human marine tactics. Glad to see I can put my military training to use :whistle: )

taikara 17-03-2005 07:36 PM

Any game in which it is dark, and things randomly jump at you from out of nowhere are scary as hell. Especially playing in the dark with surround sound OMG

Resident Evil nearly gave me a heart attack the first time I played it. Don't laugh, it was really scary back then :cry:

I get really jumpy with horror games :(

Sebatianos 17-03-2005 08:09 PM

Well there's always 11th Hour (and a scene or two in the 7th guest), but those aren't really that scary.
I don't know why exactly, but there's a game that really scared the **** out of me. It was an old text adventure with some basic graphics. The only thing I still remember is, that you had to take the pin out of a wheel and stick it into the mechanism at the castle bridge to lower it and then you entered the castle and got a fright!

Sean 17-03-2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by taikara@Mar 17 2005, 08:36 PM
I get really jumpy with horror games :(
There the games im looking for!

I liked 5 Days but it was a bit actiony not really that scary... havent found anything like it and Yahtzee's P12 has no blood at all... i wonder if the betas all finished :ph34r:

Jim6 17-03-2005 11:38 PM

*Suddenly realises he'll be able to play 11th hour, which has been sitting under his bed for years, now he has DOSbox*

Score!

On another note - this looks like it'll be nice and scary when it comes out - which should* be soon enough www.callofcthulhu.com

*Not really

Sean 17-03-2005 11:42 PM

You do all know i wanted

Scary,gorey,violent,atmospheric....horror Games

all in one.

Right?

TheSmyth 18-03-2005 07:46 AM

Then go for Undying. If you've got a decent PC and can have the full lighting effects and stuff turned on, it's not a game you'll feel comfortable playing without the lights on. :evil:

Oh... and unless you've got a really good pc sound system, wear headphones.

And AVP has to be another of the best.

wormpaul 18-03-2005 07:55 AM

AvP scares really the muck out of me when playing the alien..

It`s such exiting and difficult :bleh:

Sean 18-03-2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheSmyth@Mar 18 2005, 08:46 AM
Then go for Undying. If you've got a decent PC and can have the full lighting effects and stuff turned on, it's not a game you'll feel comfortable playing without the lights on. :evil:

Oh... and unless you've got a really good pc sound system, wear headphones.

And AVP has to be another of the best.

Is undying a commerical game?

wormpaul 18-03-2005 09:24 AM

Yes..

Still sold at many place`s

The Fifth Horseman 18-03-2005 12:32 PM

Bloodrayne is a huge piece of horror. Unfortunately, later in the game it loses a bit, especially with 25th replay or so.
Gory? Violent? Ever cut off your enemy's legs and watched him fall to the ground and try to crawl away screaming? Ever cut your enemy in twine? Sliced and diced him to little unrecognizable parts? Ripped his face off his head? In BR you can do it all...

Atmospheric... now, there is some good atmosphere, some mystery enough to scare you, but only for the first time you play the game. Then it just gets repetitive.

But the intro scene has a lot of horror-esque atmosphere, and so does a cutscene between second and third episode... they are so good that I sometimes play the game only to see them...

TheSmyth 18-03-2005 01:00 PM

BloodRayne?!

Are we talking about the same PC game here?

The one where the controls are that rubbish that you've got more chance of winning the lottery than hitting the same enemy twice in a row?
And to jump onto one of those (all too often) telephone wires without landinog in the water you need the reflexes of a cat?

I agree it's sexy, dark, and spooky, and it's fun blowing away the townsfolk :sneaky: , but it's not exactly one of the best........... Is it?...............
...............Or maybe it was just me :tomato:

wormpaul 18-03-2005 01:07 PM

nah it was a funny game..

Only still stucked at the place where you need to defeat 3 guards with only 1 time bloodrayne :not_ok:

Stroggy 18-03-2005 01:41 PM

Not all that scary but spooky atmosphere was Shivers I and II

Shivers I was more funny than actually scary (since all the hauntings were bright and colourfull and thus not all too scary) but the second game was a lot creepier in the ghosttown.

NoMaD SouL 18-03-2005 02:06 PM

Guys if you say Scary,Gory and bloody try "The Suffering-Prison is Hell" is a very new one :ok:

Sly 18-03-2005 02:49 PM

Hunt the Wumpus always scared the crap outta me ;)

The Fifth Horseman 18-03-2005 02:49 PM

Quote:

BloodRayne?!

Are we talking about the same PC game here?

The one where the controls are that rubbish that you've got more chance of winning the lottery than hitting the same enemy twice in a row?
And to jump onto one of those (all too often) telephone wires without landinog in the water you need the reflexes of a cat?

I agree it's sexy, dark, and spooky, and it's fun blowing away the townsfolk* , but it's not exactly one of the best........... Is it?...............
...............Or maybe it was just me*

Talking about the same game.
Controls are good, you just have to get used to them. Wires can be jumped on without any problem 99% of the time.
Try playing it in a dark room with screen brightness turned down and the sound turned up. Try getting the feel of the plot. Can get rather spooky sometimes. :evil:

Chris 19-03-2005 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sly@Mar 18 2005, 04:49 PM
Hunt the Wumpus always scared the crap outta me ;)
Another Apple Lover! http://img70.exs.cx/img70/9459/wub6il.gif

Danny252 19-03-2005 07:34 AM

Anyone tried played Return to Castle Wolfenstien, zombie levels, when you're 9? I did.. never played it again until 6 months ago.

Classic Pig 19-03-2005 09:28 AM

For simple gore factor Soldier of Fortune series is brilliant!

As far at atmosphere goes - Gabriel Knight - the beast within was really scary (played it at 3 in the morning and nearly soiled myself!). :Brain:

Sean 19-03-2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NoMaD SouL@Mar 18 2005, 03:06 PM
Guys if you say Scary,Gory and bloody try "The Suffering-Prison is Hell" is a very new one :ok:
I was wondering if this was worth a rental but in the end i decided not to rent it....

Ill give it another look next time i visit BlockBuster..if its not fun im having your head! :angel:

I once played the thing....now that was... just...so unatmospheric....it wasnt scary at all...it was sheit :bleh:

troop18546 19-03-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NoMaD SouL@Mar 18 2005, 03:06 PM
Guys if you say Scary,Gory and bloody try "The Suffering-Prison is Hell" is a very new one* :ok:
I mentioned this game already... :whistle:
No big deal, it's one of the best games ever. :D

Plus it's called only "The Suffering"... :whistle:

Ioncannon 19-03-2005 01:58 PM

Thief 3, when you are in the Shalebridge Craddle
Silent Hill - THE ULTIMATE HORROR GAME!!!
REsident Evil Remake and 4 - The only scary Resi games...

Sean 19-03-2005 02:12 PM

Silent Hill + Resident Evil = One Big Tub Of Suck A|SS :ph34r:

DeathDude 19-03-2005 03:01 PM

Yeah I still remember playing Return to Castle Wolfeinstein there were certainly some scary parts, especially when fighting those things that jump around everywhere, and that 2nd main boss which was a pain in the behind to defeat.

The Levitating Nun 19-03-2005 05:48 PM

For all out gore I think the award should go to Postal 2. Damn funny, often quite disgustingly wrong and mad amounts of gore. I reccomend it but you have been warned.

Tulac 19-03-2005 06:01 PM

Well Postal 2 isn't scary, it's gorey and mad and funny and many other things, but it isn't a horror game...

Sean 19-03-2005 06:58 PM

Is one of those many other things... abandoned?

Stroggy 19-03-2005 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ioncannon@Mar 19 2005, 02:58 PM
Thief 3, when you are in the Shalebridge Craddle

Nice to see someone agree with me :)

Schabernakel-anbeter 19-03-2005 08:38 PM

soldier of fortune 2 with two different bloodpatches is gory

without ploodpatches it has a scary censur ship LOL
(all people are transformed to robots and if you shoot them they ping like you
shoot on iron :guns: :borg: :roflol: )

Bye :bye: Bye

DeathDude 19-03-2005 11:35 PM

I agree that the Soldier of Fortune games are extremely gory, I mean even beyond the point of getting ridiculous, so much blood.

JJXB 19-03-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Levitating Nun@Mar 19 2005, 06:48 PM
For all out gore I think the award should go to Postal 2. Damn funny, often quite disgustingly wrong and mad amounts of gore. I reccomend it but you have been warned.
i also heartily recommend it :D
just don't let cat lovers see you play it (i doubt they would appreciate seeing a cat being used to silence a shotgun :P)

Sean 20-03-2005 12:37 AM

Is it a FPS?

DeathDude 20-03-2005 01:47 AM

Yup.

Morbid_Pathologist 20-03-2005 08:39 AM

Silent Hill and Resident evil...im more into the gore films though, now i can recommend many there =)

Senketsu No Kizuna
Zombi 4
Guinea Pig 2 : The Flower Of Flesh And Blood
Zombie 90 : Extreme Pestilence (worst acting combined with dubbing)
Blood Feast 2
Zombie Flesh Eaters

.....now that you mention it...Crusader : No Remorse/No Regret had some gore in it, how could you forget that microwave gun (i forget) that removes the flesh of enemies, or in no regret, how when people blew up, puddles!, or that cool gun that vapirises people...theres just so many....(and of course, people on fire =D)

yeah, like everyone else said, postal 2, anthrax filled cowhead!!!, or smoke some catnip and bash someones skull in (or off) with a shovel!.

and yes, Soldier Of Fortune 2 had its moments, although ive got the beta, so all the gore isnt in it =(...like dismemberments with a shotgun, wahhh!

Flop 20-03-2005 09:03 AM

The scariest games I remember playing are Phantasmagoria and the System Shock games. It appears that gamespy has a top 10 scariest games list:

gamspy's top 10 scariest games

Obviously they screwed up and ranked Alien Versus Predator 2 as the scariest game ever, proving once again that gamespy is utter crap.

Lizard 20-03-2005 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flop@Mar 20 2005, 11:03 AM
The scariest games I remember playing are Phantasmagoria and the System Shock games. It appears that gamespy has a top 10 scariest games list:

Obviously they screwed up and ranked Alien Versus Predator 2 as the scariest game ever, proving once again that gamespy is utter crap.

Quote:

While AvP was good, the sequel outdoes it in almost every respect. The game is a first-person shooter with both a single-player campaign and multiplayer functionality.
Eh....sure :blink:
From what they write,they never played AvP 1 or were one of these players that quit playing after first two missions becouse it was too fast for them....
In fact in AvP2 they screwed ALL that was good in AvP1....
And I not mentioning the fact that althought AvP was very good and quite scary game I definetly wouldnt choose it as scariest game ever....
Truth.Gamespy- :sick: :sick: :sick:

The Levitating Nun 20-03-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JJXB+Mar 20 2005, 12:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JJXB @ Mar 20 2005, 12:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Levitating Nun@Mar 19 2005, 06:48 PM
i also heartily recommend it :D
just don't let cat lovers see you play it (i doubt they would appreciate seeing a cat being used to silence a shotgun :P) [/b][/quote]
You can use a cat on the M16 too :whistle: Probably wise to not let animal lovers near it.

troop18546 20-03-2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flop@Mar 20 2005, 10:03 AM

They screwed it ALL up. Not just first place.
(re5pect to Doom3 though, course it's just my opinion)... :whistle:

Maikel 20-03-2005 03:20 PM

Undying should have been on 1. The only game where I felt uncomfortable :D

Kon-Tiki 20-03-2005 03:32 PM

Sanytarium, definitely. No game's so friggin' creepy to play at night (or at day, for that matter) as that game... especially in the chapter with the town filled with kids and the pumpkin patch. Freaky, unsettling and ingenious. But... the thought of some things in that game... *shudder*
Man, just remembered burning a corpse in one of those cremation devices to get a glass eyeball from it, which you need further down the game :blink:

troop18546 20-03-2005 06:10 PM

How could I have missed this game..."Painkiller" is one of the goryest and violent games + a very good plot!!!!!!! :ok:
100% excelent game. :ok:

Tulac 20-03-2005 07:31 PM

Hmm Painkiller isn't that scary, I find atmospherical games much more scarier than slaughterhouse games...

troop18546 20-03-2005 07:35 PM

I didnt say it was scary, just gorey and violent... :whistle:
Read carefully. :ok:

Tulac 20-03-2005 07:37 PM

I thought you were thinking of scary too, because this topic is about horror games, but gory and violent yes, nowhere near Postal though, killing racial minorities, children and pets is nowhere near a tone of aliens...

troop18546 20-03-2005 07:43 PM

quote "not near the tone of aliens"

Do you say that Painkiller has aliens? Cause it hasnt... :whistle:

Tulac 20-03-2005 07:44 PM

I meant monsters, I'm mixing it with Serious Sam...

troop18546 20-03-2005 07:50 PM

Well, we're not here to compare the best games of horror or gore etc. I just made the suggestion of Painkiller. It's everyone's personal decission of which game to take. Lets get back to topic... :ok:

Wired 21-03-2005 08:23 AM

I would like to recomend Realms of the Haunting:
http://i147.exs.cx/img147/796/front0fk.jpg
It's old sure, but I like it, even though the acting in the cutscenes make me laugh.

Screenshots can be found here

DeathDude 21-03-2005 01:32 PM

What a freaky cover

troop18546 21-03-2005 05:15 PM

The game is more important, covers can fool people very often. Judging by that one I'd say it's great, but who am I to say that - I havent played it. :whistle:

Lizard 21-03-2005 05:19 PM

Quote:

The battleground of ultimate good and evil
:blink:
Cliche Lives!!! :D
But the game is good...

Yobor 21-03-2005 06:05 PM

They Hunger is THE scariest thing for Half-Life. The game is and excellent change. A lot of effort went into making this incredibly scary, and it worked!

The Levitating Nun 21-03-2005 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yobor@Mar 21 2005, 07:05 PM
They Hunger is THE scariest thing for Half-Life. The game is and excellent change. A lot of effort went into making this incredibly scary, and it worked!
You speak the truth, I screamed out loud for the first time whilst playing that game, I felt really embarrassed about it afterwards...

Sino 21-03-2005 11:39 PM

Hmmm...... I really dont get freaked out easily, only by psycoligical mindtwists, so I nominate Silent Hill. As far as movies go, Phantasm scared me to the brink of insanty, mostly cause of those damned orbs.

Yobor 22-03-2005 01:26 AM

I have played Silent Hill before, and while it may be somewhat creepy, the gameplay was mediocre at best. I mean, the head boss can be killed in one hit on easy mode.

Fawfulhasfury 22-03-2005 02:16 AM

Call me crazy, but I actually found Resident Evil 4 to be funny, and not all that scary. I mean come on, can you help but not laugh at a bunch of villagers screaming, "Ah Beal Abandonn!!" LOL It just sounded funny as all get out. And gore doesn't really scare me. As far as violent or scary, the only games that my jaw dropped at or I actually screamed was in Conker: Live and Uncut and Unreal Gold. Unreal Gold is very violent, but it didn't scare me. Just this one spot where there were giant spiders, and I saw a spider web and thought it was a spider and jumped out of my chair. Thats the only time I've gotten scared in a game. As far as Conker, its not scary, just gory. I mean, when a squirrle walks up to his arm with his arm socket dripping blood and tries to put his arm back on, or when a squirrel has his face blown off, its kinda a sick gore fest. But if you like that stuff, I recommend, 5 days a stranger and 7 days a skeptic, resident evil series, Conkers Bad Fur Day and Conker:Live and Uncut.

rabadi 22-03-2005 05:04 AM

For an oldie, I'd recommend Waxworks. Of course it was much more scary for me 13 years ago than it is now :D

DeathDude 22-03-2005 05:09 AM

Another underated game that didn't get much props that is a fairly scary game is Eternal Darkness for the gamecube, two words: bathtub scene a very scary part of the game....

Zarkumo 30-03-2005 07:16 PM

Check out this Top 10 List of the Scariest Games for the really scary muck. Why muck? I wrote muck!

Mad-E-Fact 30-03-2005 07:28 PM

Always the same crap with Gamespy, for each page of an article there's one page with ads...

Anyway, I'd like to suggest Vampire: Bloodlines from Troika, which I've been playing lately. It's not scary in a shocking way, but rather has some dark and twisted writing throughout it, touching themes like drugs, violence and child rape, which can be actually more disturbing than gory monsters.

Mickey Bitsko 30-03-2005 07:39 PM

My nephew and I were playing "The Dig" for the first time last week and were a little scared that Brink might appear at any moment to wreak revenge on Boston for sawing off his hand with an alien jawbone.

Boy, were we disappointed when nothing of the kind happened. In fact, not much more happened for the rest of the game! :cheers:

Lizard 30-03-2005 09:16 PM

Two words- Blackstone Chronicles OMG OMG OMG
I have nightmares from it even now :ph34r:

The current time is 09:20 PM (GMT)