Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Free alternatives to classic games (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=29237)

MrFlibble 04-11-2012 03:39 PM

Free alternatives to classic games

Just as the title suggests, this is an attempt to list free games that very closely follow a well-known product or franchise and can thus serve as an alternative to that particular game. These are mostly non-commercial projects, but some shareware games are also included.

What I have not included on the list are multiplayer-only games, browser-based games, and all kinds of free-to-play and "freemium" online products. I have also tried not to include projects that make use of original assets like graphics and sounds (unless authorized by original copyright holders, as is the case of T2002), so games like Mortal Kombat Project, Gods Deluxe or Return of the Triad are not on the list. Another thing out of the scope of this list are engine recreations that require original game assets to work.

Any further suggestions as to what games qualify as free alternatives are more than welcome :)

Update from 2022/02/10: A complete overhaul of the lists, using new groupings, which are hopefully more informative.

1. Original engine + free/libre game data
These are games based on the original code of their inspirations. Often, a free/libre game data set (levels, graphics, music) is created as a replacement for the original proprietary game data, while the playing mechanics remain the same, but sometimes, other aspects of gameplay undergo considerable alterations, which is reflected by the [mod] suffix in the list below.

In some cases, the source code/engine is still not public, but has been provided by owners to the community so that new free games or mods may be created.

Yet another case when the code is not available are various game construction sets that allow users to freely distribute games created with them. These are marked with the [toolkit] suffix.

AbuseAlien ShooterThe Bard's TaleCrayon PhysicsDoom IIDuke Nukem 3DFreespace 2HereticHovertank 3DLethal TenderQuakeQuake IIQuake III ArenaSteel PanthersSteel Panthers II: Modern BattlesSuper-VGA HarrierThe Ultimate DoomWolfenstein 3-D
2. Engine recreation + free/libre game data
Very similar to the above, but the original game source is not available in any form, so an attempt is made to recreate it from scratch and/or by means of reverse engineering. Usually such projects start by requiring the original game's data, and then a free/libre replacement data set is created by the community.

In some rare cases, the author of a recreation received permission from the copyright holders of the emulated game to use original proprietary game data, characters, title etc. These projects are marked with the [authr] suffix in the list.

AtomixThe Bard's Tale Construction SetChip's ChallengeCommand & Conquer: Red AlertCommander Keen (second trilogy)Digger (Windmill Software)Flight Sim ToolkitM.A.X.Panzer GeneralSupaplexTotal AnnihilationTransport Tycoon DeluxeUFO: Enemy UnknownWarcraft II
3. Clones and remakes that faithfully recreate original mechanics
This is likely the most common type, with many projects being not only accurate reproductions of the original game mechanics, but often also trying to follow the original "look & feel" of their inspirations. At least some of these projects are motivated by the desire to create a FOSS alternative to a proprietary game for Linux users, or to fill in what is perceived as an empty niche for modern platforms.

Note that some of these games actually make rather drastic changes compared to the original titles they emulate, such as the transition to 3D graphics from 2D, or a cosmetic/thematic overhaul by using free software mascots as game characters for example.

A-TrainAge of EmpiresAlien BreedAnno seriesArkanoidBattle Isle IIBlockOutBloodBombermanBoulder DashBust-a-Move/Puzzle BobbleCarrier CommandCastlevania 2Civilisation VColumnsCommand & ConquerCrimsonlandD/GenerationDiabloDoomDuke Nukem 1Dungeon KeeperElasto ManiaEliteEmpire DeluxeEscape VelocityForgotten Realms: Unlimited AdventuresThe Great Giana SistersHerzog ZweiHomeworldKing's Quest seriesKnights and MerchantsLemmingsLode RunnerThe Lords of MidnightThe Lost VikingsMagic CarpetMaster of MonstersMaster of OrionMechwarrior seriesMinecraftMortal KombatNibblesOutRunOxydPac-ManPanzer General IIPuzznicRise of the TriadRPG MakerSecret AgentSensible (World of) SoccerThe Settlers IIThe Settlers of CatanSid Meier's Civilisation/Civilisation IISid Meier's ColonisationSimCitySolarFoxSonic the HedgehogStar Wars: TIE FighterStarCraftStars!StuntsSuper HexagonSuper Mario Bros.Super Monkey BallTetrisThief: The Dark ProjectTotal AnnihilationTrailblazerTransport TycoonTruggTurrican IIUltima IUltima IV-VUltima VIWarcraft IIWarlords II DeluxeWing CommanderWizardry VIIWormsX-COM/UFO

RRS 05-11-2012 12:41 AM

Oh my, so many titles, I don't know where to start :omg:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447110)
FlightGear

Thanks, that was new to me. Why don't you mention it in flightsimmers thread I started on that other forum?

Scatty 05-11-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Actually I have full versions of both games above. Since the original company behind the game series doesn't seem to exist anymore and there seem to be (to my knowledge, maybe GOG?) no copyright holders for them, I could upload both to 4Shared for better linking, if that's ok with admins.

The Fifth Horseman 05-11-2012 10:26 AM

Robot Odyssey
* DroidQuest: http://mysite.verizon.net/thomasfoote/DQ/index.htm
* Gate: http://quinndunki.com/OGOL/GATE.html

SpiDoL 05-11-2012 03:38 PM

I know this won't fit your list because it uses "original assets", but a long time ago I uploaded a fan-made remake of DOOM 64 to a freeware game site. The trick was that I used FREEDOOM.WAD to power the game instead of DOOM2.WAD, and it still works!

Link:
http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3391.html

P.S. There's a better fan-made remake out there now called DOOM 64 EX, which is more faithful to the original game and also has multiplayer support. I can't provide a precompiled package for this one though, as it requires the original N64 ROM to be converted into a DOOM WAD.

MrFlibble 05-11-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRS (Post 447115)
Why don't you mention it in flightsimmers thread I started on that other forum?

Which one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 447120)

Thanks! I think I've heard of Robot Odyssey but never played it. BTW, this made me remember some other strategy/puzzle game involving robots or something, I think the title has the word "Planet" in it. Anyway, that game also has a freeware enhanced remake (or an "inspired by" game).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiDoL (Post 447125)
I know this won't fit your list because it uses "original assets", but a long time ago I uploaded a fan-made remake of DOOM 64 to a freeware game site. The trick was that I used FREEDOOM.WAD to power the game instead of DOOM2.WAD, and it still works!

I know about the Doom 64: Absolution project, and I thought that it should work with Freedoom's version of DOOM2.WAD. Are you part of the development team?

SpiDoL 05-11-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

I know about the Doom 64: Absolution project, and I thought that it should work with Freedoom's version of DOOM2.WAD. Are you part of the development team?
Unfortunately no. All I did was, where the game said to place DOOM2.WAD, I placed the FREEDOOM WAD instead, and it still worked.

MrFlibble 05-11-2012 10:39 PM

I'm not surprised that it worked since it is my understanding that from the start the Freedoom project was intended for running mods and TCs.

It's also very similar to the way the DOS full version of HacX (v1.1) can be run without the original DOOM2.WAD. HacX v1.2 uses assets from Freedoom in its main IWAD to substitute for the files (like the main palette) that it would originally read from DOOM2.WAD.

RRS 05-11-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447128)
Which one?

http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,5/dgm,170269/
Others are welcome as well.

Tomekk 07-11-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Unreal series
Just... no. The Cube games are basically an engine with textures and models randomly slapped together into barely playable maps to showcase it's capability, last time I checked. <.<

yoga 08-11-2012 04:47 AM

Nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447134)
I'm not surprised that it worked since it is my understanding that from the start the Freedoom project was intended for running mods and TCs.

It's also very similar to the way the DOS full version of HacX (v1.1) can be run without the original DOOM2.WAD. HacX v1.2 uses assets from Freedoom in its main IWAD to substitute for the files (like the main palette) that it would originally read from DOOM2.WAD.

:smile2:
I DL Blasphemer
because i like Heretic saga.

Thanks a lot, MrFlibble.

:OK:

hunvagy 08-11-2012 05:44 AM

Another Scorch alternative: http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

yoga 08-11-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 447190)

.. The scorched earth was nice game also.
So i DL file Scorched3D-3.3d.exe from your link also, dear barat hunvagy.
69.1 MB.

Merci.
:hello:

RRS 08-11-2012 11:10 PM

...and I'm not convinced to this concept, just as I didn't like 3D remakes of Worms or Lemmings. They play like a completely different game, so don't fool us by using the established title.

On the other hand, Duke Nukem Manhattan Project had 3D (vector) graphics, while retaining 2D platformer gameplay. I loved it!

MrFlibble 10-11-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomekk (Post 447171)
Just... no. The Cube games are basically an engine with textures and models randomly slapped together into barely playable maps to showcase it's capability, last time I checked. <.<

Okay, in fact I didn't know which game to designate as the closest original thing, Unreal or Quake, and chose Unreal for its tendency to have more spacious open areas, as well as a certain similarity in visuals.

As for your personal opinion about Cube, I find the games very playable. They don't always have perfect models or level design, but it's an overall quite an enjoyable experience nevertheless IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 447190)

Yep, I think I've heard about that one but somehow forgot it, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRS (Post 447212)
On the other hand, Duke Nukem Manhattan Project had 3D (vector) graphics, while retaining 2D platformer gameplay. I loved it!

Oh yes, DNMP is a great game in this respect. I've never been a fan of the true 3D transition of an established pre-3D series (couldn't come to terms with Mortal Kombat 4 being full 3D for example), but DNMP is undoubtedly an excellent continuation of the series and a worthy successor of both the original platform games and Duke3D.

RRS 11-11-2012 10:30 AM

Off-topic: could you recommend similar games then? I only recall modern console remake of Prince of Persia. Nothing related to Sonic or Mario, please :D I really loved selected level design of DNMP, like the gritty subway (Max Payne-like), where you could almost get lost.

MrFlibble 12-11-2012 01:43 PM

I haven't played Prince of Persia Classic but to the best of my knowledge it's the very same game but with full 3D graphics - the level design is just the same, unlike DNMP which manages to smoothly introduce the third dimension into the classic 2D side-scrolling platform scheme.

Honestly, I know not of other games that could be comparable to DNMP in this respect. I checked this one out only because it's part of the Duke Nukem franchise, and I don't know other games of this genre and era well.

hunvagy 13-11-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRS (Post 447274)
Off-topic: could you recommend similar games then? I only recall modern console remake of Prince of Persia. Nothing related to Sonic or Mario, please :D I really loved selected level design of DNMP, like the gritty subway (Max Payne-like), where you could almost get lost.

Megabyte Punch comes to mind and ofc the New Giana Sisters game.

RRS 13-11-2012 08:24 AM

Thanks, but maybe I forgot to add: not Mario/Sonic, because I didn't like kiddie stuff even when I was a kid myself. DNMP was content-rated at least 15+. Oh, and older titles, preferably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447290)
I know not of other games that could be comparable to DNMP in this respect.

Same applies to me, that's why I'm asking on the forum - not even MobyGames has such advanced search/genre system as to find similar ones.

Pex 18-11-2012 06:19 AM

I downloaded Oolite and played it today and it's very much like original Elite, probably even easier when it comes to docking to a space station and space battles.

I didn't really play much Elite on PC but I spent heaps of time playing it on my C=64. Unfortunately, playing Oolite reminded me why I spent so much time - it takes bloody ages to get to a space station after hyper jump into the system, most of the time just flying with other ships, no conflicts, nothing.

But that's the gameplay of the original Elite, not this excellent remake, so if you loved Elite, this is definitely a great game for you.

MrFlibble 18-11-2012 10:38 PM

Thanks for your feedback - I haven't yet checked out Oolite myself :)

BTW, I'm wondering how well the older instalments in the Star Wraith series of games (which had been released as freeware) would act as an alternative for the Wing Commander titles?

Eagle of Fire 18-11-2012 11:39 PM

I was ready to try out Oolite but... I need XP SP3?

Why do so many games lately completely drop support for XP SP2 and lower? I take it has to do with the fact that they also dropped support from Windows 2000 and lower at the same time but isn't it weird that a game support XP SPwhatever but not XP itself?

That's pretty stupid to me.

jonh_sabugs 19-11-2012 12:10 AM

I guess you have Microsoft to thank for that one. Earlier XP versions without the SP's were so unstable and full of problems that using them was impractical. Even then, I am not sure something that runs on SP3 wouldn't run on SP2, though.

Eagle of Fire 19-11-2012 02:23 AM

I'm running XP SP1 as we speak. I can count on one hand the number of times I had to reboot it and it wasn't due to some crappy third party programs. I've been using it for 10 years now.

jonh_sabugs 19-11-2012 03:28 AM

Yes, SP1 was stable, if I remember correctly. The SP-less version were the unstable ones. I use SP2 here, and haven't had problems in a long time also. SP2 & 3 were mostly related to security, I think something that runs in SP3 should run in SP2 also, probably even in SP1.

Eagle of Fire 19-11-2012 04:09 AM

I wish that were true. I recently wanted to upgrade my Firefox version since the one I use is not supported anymore and many sites started to fail to function because of it...

Learned the hard way that the version I'm using is the latest stable version still guaranteed to work under Windows XP SP1.

Things like this baffle me. It was working A1 before. Now it doesn't. It's like I've been using electricity all my life but suddenly someone come in, play with the electrical box and declare that my old appliances won't work anymore even though it is exactly the same current. Doesn't add up.

hunvagy 19-11-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447443)
Thanks for your feedback - I haven't yet checked out Oolite myself :)

BTW, I'm wondering how well the older instalments in the Star Wraith series of games (which had been released as freeware) would act as an alternative for the Wing Commander titles?

Last I checked the old Star Wraith games, they were quite lackluster. But for a free WC, why not just play Wing Commander Darkest Dawn? It's insanely faithful to the franchise, using the FS2Open engine, FMV briefing, intros, chatty characters.. it's very good, and free for all.

RRS 19-11-2012 12:20 PM

Funniest thing about the XP SP issue is that the Service Packs are a collection of previous patches, so if you had, say, SP2 and installed selected patches (because you don't need the other), it's almost like having SP3 (in terms of security etc.), but the programs are dumb to say that your system is not-up-to-date.

MrFlibble 19-11-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 447446)
Why do so many games lately completely drop support for XP SP2 and lower? I take it has to do with the fact that they also dropped support from Windows 2000 and lower at the same time but isn't it weird that a game support XP SPwhatever but not XP itself?

I also hate this "won't work in previous versions" stuff - and it's not only about games as Eagle of Fire noted. I'm quite certain most (or at least a considerable amount of) programmes that refuse to work or even install upon finding an outdated OS version would actually function, perhaps less stable. I know Win98 has serious differences from XP in terms of functioning, but all those service packs? Do they really affect core functionality so that newer programmes just won't run on older versions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 447454)
Last I checked the old Star Wraith games, they were quite lackluster. But for a free WC, why not just play Wing Commander Darkest Dawn? It's insanely faithful to the franchise, using the FS2Open engine, FMV briefing, intros, chatty characters.. it's very good, and free for all.

The thing is that I'm trying to list games that are actually different yet similar enough to act as alternatives. I know about the Wing Commander Saga but it's more of a fanmade sequel/remake than anything. I'm not decided on projects like that yet, but let's say for now they're not in the main focus. Thanks for bringing this up anyway :)

Eagle of Fire 19-11-2012 04:29 PM

I sure would love to try out some kind of "emulation" of SP3 if any of you have any clue if it does exist.

It might be just as stupid as to edit some text files so the system think I'm running SP3.

MrFlibble 19-11-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 447462)
I sure would love to try out some kind of "emulation" of SP3 if any of you have any clue if it does exist.

Well, I've heard that the latest version of Microsoft Virtual PC emulates a machine with WinXP SP3, but it's supposed to run on the new generation OS's (I think the latest version of Vritual PC runs solely on Windows 7).

IIRC you can simply upgrade WinXP SP1 to SP3 at Microsoft's tech support website, but I remember it didn't work out well for me as everything slowed down drastically on my PC after the upgrade so I had to downgrade back to SP1 (that PC is quite old, true, but it still matches the officially declared system requirements of SP3) :dislike:

Eagle of Fire 19-11-2012 11:45 PM

That's exactly why I don't upgrade to SP2 or SP3. It is a retarded upgrade that I don't even need because I never had security issues. I take care of my PC security myself.

RRS 20-11-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447443)
an alternative for the Wing Commander titles

*click*
Suddenly I recalled I used to frequent the forums of Wing Commander: Privateer - Gemini Gold, a fan remake. I haven't checked in for years...

But as you said you don't want to list here fan-remakes (which re-use copyrighted intellectual properties, even if redoing all content). So it's more important to note that this remake was built upon an open source game called Vega Strike - as you can guess, a space trading & combat "sim". Apart from Privateer, it also sprung Star Trek, Elite and Babylon 5 mods...

MrFlibble 21-11-2012 01:04 PM

Nice, I didn't know about Vega Strike (I'm not very familiar with the space combat sim genre generally though).

BTW, I have Red Alert: A Path Beyond as an alternative for C&C: Renegade, it's also a kind of an exception to my own rules because it's primarily a multiplayer game. But APB isn't a remake of anything in a proper sense, since there's no official Renegade-like game for Red Alert.

I'd gladly talk about fan remakes and sequels too, but that certainly warrants a separate thread (I wonder why the Remake Index thread got un-stickied).

MrFlibble 30-11-2012 03:01 PM

Okay guys, I've added your suggestions to the list :)

I've also found a couple of neat community-made Doom episodes that work nicely with Freedoom as a first episode replacement (the internal Freedoom levels are okay but they often have a noticeably different style):

CH Retro Episode
This is a creative reimagining of the shareware episode of Doom, with immediately recognizable yet subtly different visuals, and overall clever level design. It starts as a relatively straightforward thing but the levels quickly get interesting, and are full of puzzles and secret areas. The download link at the review page does no work but the file can be obtained here.

Simply Phobos
Another Knee-Deep-themed episode, but quite different from the one above. The author of Simply Phobos has a preference for vast, spacious areas, and also isn't shy of almost literal visual quotations from the original levels. It's equally fun to play nevertheless, and captures the atmosphere of the original game quite well too. In addition, this episode comes with an optional music pack in a separate WAD.

MrFlibble 03-12-2012 10:39 PM

Here's a couple more Doom Episode 1 tributes that work with Freedoom:

Phobos Revisited
The aim of the author was to create a "same but different" kind of feeling, following the original levels quite closely yet introducing something new at every turn. Phobos Revisited was designed to run in the original game as well as with source ports, and it won the Cacowards award in 2004. Screenshots can be viewed here at the team's website.

Phobos Outpost/Planet Phobos
Another interesting work, this one deviates a lot more from the original - for example, the first level is nothing like Doom's E1M1 - however later on similar details and areas become more frequent. The levels here are supposed to represent a single, coherent installation (the eponymous outpost), and at the end of each level the starting area of the next one can briefly be seen. Difficulty is a bit higher than in other similar works, or in the first episode of the original game for that matter, but clever design makes them interesting to play. For some reason, the author renamed the episode to Planet Phobos at some point, although no content was apparently changed.

The same author also released an Episode 2 replacement, The Base of Evil (which was also renamed to Planet Hell later), however it doesn't seem to work with Freedoom for now because of a missing textures issue.

Tomekk 05-12-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447646)
Here's a couple more Doom Episode 1 tributes that work with Freedoom:

Phobos Revisited
The aim of the author was to create a "same but different" kind of feeling, following the original levels quite closely yet introducing something new at every turn. Phobos Revisited was designed to run in the original game as well as with source ports, and it won the Cacowards award in 2004. Screenshots can be viewed here at the team's website.

Phobos Outpost/Planet Phobos
Another interesting work, this one deviates a lot more from the original - for example, the first level is nothing like Doom's E1M1 - however later on similar details and areas become more frequent. The levels here are supposed to represent a single, coherent installation (the eponymous outpost), and at the end of each level the starting area of the next one can briefly be seen. Difficulty is a bit higher than in other similar works, or in the first episode of the original game for that matter, but clever design makes them interesting to play. For some reason, the author renamed the episode to Planet Phobos at some point, although no content was apparently changed.

The same author also released an Episode 2 replacement, The Base of Evil (which was also renamed to Planet Hell later), however it doesn't seem to work with Freedoom for now because of a missing textures issue.

A bit off topic here, but still related to Doom... I remember reading about a mod/WAD for it that intended to remake the game according to the original design documents. Any chance you know about that?

MrFlibble 05-12-2012 06:54 PM

Hmm, I don't think I know such a mod. There are mods (included with the Boom/MBF fork of source ports) that enable beta graphics and levels from the press release beta.

There's also a recent project called Doom the Way id Did, which has designed to replicate the original style of John Romero and Sandy Petersen's levels.

On another note, Tom Hall did incorporate some of his ideas for Doom which were rejected into Rise of the Triad.

Tomekk 07-12-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 447683)
Hmm, I don't think I know such a mod. There are mods (included with the Boom/MBF fork of source ports) that enable beta graphics and levels from the press release beta.

There's also a recent project called Doom the Way id Did, which has designed to replicate the original style of John Romero and Sandy Petersen's levels.

On another note, Tom Hall did incorporate some of his ideas for Doom which were rejected into Rise of the Triad.

Found it!

Doom: Evil Unleashed

MrFlibble 07-12-2012 09:37 AM

Nice! Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this mod :) (not surprisingly, I usually skip unreleased projects when browsing ModDB).

BranjoHello 25-12-2012 10:22 AM

Any free alternatives for Dig Dug, MrFlibble?

Pex 26-12-2012 09:24 AM

Just want to add that I've been playing Oolite a lot lately and that it's everything that Elite was and much more. I definitely recommend it to everyone that likes or liked Elite.

MrFlibble 26-12-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranjoHello (Post 448144)
Any free alternatives for Dig Dug, MrFlibble?

Ehh... I don't even know that game :)

*after looking at MobyGames* You could check out the Clonk series of games, one of the aspects there is digging - but there's more to the game than that. The older versions of Clonk games are free.

MrFlibble 01-01-2013 02:57 PM

Added Jazz Jackrabbit as another counterpart to Sonic the Hedgehog.

MrFlibble 08-01-2013 03:36 PM

Added Star Lords as an alternative to Master of Orion, and onEscapee as a counterpart to Another World and Flashback.

MrFlibble 10-01-2013 04:53 PM

Added a working download link for Giana Worlds.

RRS 21-01-2013 02:18 AM

I don't believe ...nobody reported this before?
http://www.wolfenstein.com
Yes, it's what you're thinking... playable in a web browser!

BranjoHello 21-01-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRS (Post 448875)

Probably not available in all countries.
I see only black screen after Wolf3D logo.

MrFlibble 21-01-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRS (Post 448875)

That's because
Quote:

What I have not included on the list are multiplayer-only games, browser-based games, and all kinds of free-to-play and "freemium" online products.

Besides, this would be more at home in some liberated games thread, sort of :)

RRS 22-01-2013 04:43 PM

You're right, but I was surprised it's been few months yet nobody mentioned this on abandonia (not just this thread). I also had to add this to MobyGames. Wolf3D may be old, but it's famous, and we're here for old games after all.

MrFlibble 25-01-2013 05:27 PM

Alright, I've started a liberated games thread, feel free to re-post the info about the Internet release of Wolfenstein 3-D as a "sort of" liberated game (I hope no one gets the idea that the original DOS version can be now distributed freely too! ;)).

MrFlibble 25-01-2013 10:41 PM

Nazghul is a very nice-looking RPG modelled after Ultima V.

MrFlibble 27-06-2013 12:47 PM

I've just realized that Alien Carnage bears a lot of similarities to the Amiga/Genesis version of Alien 3: the levels are timed missions during which you need to rescue captives and reach the exit, and one of the weapons is a flamethrower; not to mention several direct references to the Alien franchise.

Also, added Amulets & Armor to the list.

MrFlibble 28-06-2013 02:17 PM

Following some constructive criticism in another forum, I've decided to drop the liberated games part from the list altogether. I've come to realize that thinking of liberated games as some kind of Ersatz for other titles is counter-productive, and this topic should be addressed elsewhere.

Further on, I've separated the list into three sub-lists:

1. More or less straightforward remakes or clones of well-known games. In many cases the authors will openly point to the game that they are trying to remake, and if not, the similarity is often quite obvious anyway.

2. Shareware clones of popular titles, mostly from the DOS era. These are generally of historical interest.

3. Games that are definitely inspired by famous titles, but the authors have added enough ideas of their own to make these games something more than direct recreations. As usual, this is the grey area as YMMV what makes for a simple clone and what constitutes an "inspired by" game.

Also, the following titles were added:

Crayon PhysicsDungeon KeeperEliteLemmingsNatural SelectionRPGMakerSimCityX-COM: Enemy UnknownBos Wars, Command & Conquer: Red AlertDiabloEmpire DeluxeFrontier: Elite IIPuzzle BobbleUltima seriesWizardry VII

MrFlibble 29-06-2013 02:35 PM

Added some more titles:

A-TrainCarrier CommandDuke NukemEscape VelocityHalf-Life: CounterstrikeQuake III: Arena, Unreal TournamentStar Wars: TIE Fighter, Descent: FreespaceSuper Monkey Ball
Also added another section to the list, with the liberated games that have both the source code and all assets released for free, thus making it possible to create new builds of the entire game.

Smiling Spectre 29-06-2013 03:15 PM

Path of Exile=Diablo 2. It's F2P, but "Pay" here relate to non-necessary "decorative" equip.

MrFlibble 29-06-2013 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info! However,
Quote:

not included on the list are multiplayer-only games, browser-based games, and all kinds of free-to-play and "freemium" online products

MrFlibble 29-06-2013 07:57 PM

Risk

The Fifth Horseman 30-06-2013 01:03 AM

For a remake of Metroid - a non-DOS game, though you could argue that Vigilance on Talos V was its' DOS equivalent (or a poor rip-off).
Metroid: Confrontation and AM2R. The two (three?) versions of Confrontation were tech/concept demos, AM2R itself is getting slowly finished and released in progressively expanded demos (three so far).

arete 30-06-2013 07:24 AM

Can't we find a way to integrate Frodo and Nick back into AB more closely?

MrFlibble 01-07-2013 06:28 PM

DrillerElasto ManiaM.U.L.E.NetWarsStuntsX-COM: Enemy Unknown
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 454147)
Metroid: Confrontation and AM2R. The two (three?) versions of Confrontation were tech/concept demos, AM2R itself is getting slowly finished and released in progressively expanded demos (three so far).

Hmm, does it use original art? And if yes, do the developers have an actual permission from copyright holders?

Most remakes of copyright title are, of course, not authorized officially. For example, there are lots of Mario remakes and fanmade games.

The Fifth Horseman 01-07-2013 07:01 PM

From what I understand, it uses a combination of ripped sprites and original art. No official permission, no.

MrFlibble 01-07-2013 08:44 PM

AtlantisPuzzle BobbleBurgerTimeDogfightOutRunOxydParatrooperPlanet DefenderR-TypeRampartSentinelSimCitySolar FoxSpace SpartansStar StrikeStarionTelengardLode RunnerWing Commander

MrFlibble 08-07-2013 07:35 PM

I've reworked the list yet again. The shareware clones and the open source liberated game build sections were dropped, and now board game implementations are a separate category.

Also, added the following titles:

Castle of the Winds, Ancient Domains of MysteryDiplomacyPanzer General IIRPG MakerSid Meier's CivilizationTitanWizardry VII

Tracker 08-07-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 454159)
Can't we find a way to integrate Frodo and Nick back into AB more closely?

Hahaha, good one. :lol: No. Before you begin, it is not us who made the distance in the first place.

MrFlibble 10-07-2013 12:47 PM

Hmm, trying to access the Reloaded.org Forums gives me an error message. The site itself works fine, but the forums are down for some reason.

MrFlibble 10-07-2013 07:23 PM

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness

MrFlibble 11-07-2013 06:43 PM

The list now has a separate section for free content replacement projects that use either the original engine of the respective game, or a game engine remake that is capable of handling original game data.

Also, added the following:

Half-LifeQuake

Cire 12-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 454497)
The list now has a separate section for free content replacement projects that use either the original engine of the respective game, or a game engine remake that is capable of handling original game data.

Also, added the following:

Half-LifeQuake

I've been lurking and have read many of your posts on different forums, very informative. So I thought I'd pop by and say thanks. Unfortunatly Open Quartz (1&2) seem to have ceased development, I hope someone will pick it up again. About the Doom alphas/beta, it's possible to run the data files in modern source ports by modifying them a bit.

MrFlibble 13-07-2013 06:46 PM

You're welcome :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cire (Post 454516)
About the Doom alphas/beta, it's possible to run the data files in modern source ports by modifying them a bit.

They run quite well in DOSBox to the best of my knowledge, and what's more, MBF has built-in support of the beta as well.

Cire 13-07-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 454561)
You're welcome :)

They run quite well in DOSBox to the best of my knowledge, and what's more, MBF has built-in support of the beta as well.

Yep, they run nicely in DOSBox, though the default control scheme is a bit cumbersome imo, and I don't think they can be changed. I don't think MBF can use the actual beta IWAD, it uses beta resource PWAD's with the Doom 1 IWAD, though please correct me if I'm wrong. (Win)MBF and ZDoom has partial support for the beta, not enough to run the IWAD without modification though. You can use SLADE to convert the alpha/beta graphics to the Doom format that source ports can read and Yadex to convert the alpha levels.

arete 16-07-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker (Post 454430)
Hahaha, good one. :lol: No. Before you begin, it is not us who made the distance in the first place.

It was Kosta ;)

Scatty 16-07-2013 09:15 PM

Kosta made a separate place. Some people decided it back then to be a better place than Abandonia to be.
Now, I would be also happy to see Frodo and Nick being active here again. Problem is, there's not that much activity here on the forum these days in the first place. That is, games identifications and regular troubleshooting aside.

Eagle of Fire 17-07-2013 05:53 AM

AB and ABR are not in the same kind of business. That's what really made the final argument I guess.

I did try to go to ABR and blend in just like I did with AB... But I had to face up the fact that freeware simply, 98% of the time, is bad quality and poor games.

Yeah, sure... Those games are free. But that's not the kind of games I wanted to play and have people be reminded of when you think of "the good old days". There is some few gems in ABR but overall at least 9 out of 10 games are not even worth looking at. Clones of originals, games which are plain bad, etc.

Some people like it, other don't. I never questioned the reason why AB and ABR splitted: it always been very obvious to me.

Tracker 17-07-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 454690)
AB and ABR are not in the same kind of business. That's what really made the final argument I guess.

I did try to go to ABR and blend in just like I did with AB... But I had to face up the fact that freeware simply, 98% of the time, consists of bad quality and poorly done games.

Yeah, sure... Those games are free. But that's not the kind of games I wanted to play and have people be reminded of "the good old days". There are some rare gems on ABR but overall at least 9 out of 10 games are not even worth looking at. Clones of originals, games which are plain bad, etc.

Some people like it, others don't. I never questioned the reason why AB and ABR splitted: it has always been very obvious to me.

Actually there are quite a few great freeware titles, it's rather the poor selection of games on Reloaded that makes them an inferior collection. C'mon, Beneath the Steel Sky? A lot of things happened since that, games like Black Mesa were released among dozens of titles.
They still could be a great site dedicated to collecting links to all the worthwhile freewares on Steam, GoG, and other sites.
So far they only excelled in writing fanfiction roleplay stories.

(I also took the liberty to correct the grammar in your post, if you don't mind. Yeah, I'm a sworn grammarionalspellcheckialist. Sorry.)

MrFlibble 18-07-2013 02:44 PM

Unfortunately the "feature a game only when some user writes a review" policy didn't work out quite well for Reloaded, and the community wasn't very active either.

Anyway, considering liberated games (i.e. formerly commercial), there are several neat sources like Remain in Play, Liberated Games and that Spanish blog I mentioned a while ago in another thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 454690)
I did try to go to ABR and blend in just like I did with AB... But I had to face up the fact that freeware simply, 98% of the time, is bad quality and poor games.

My philosophy here is that generally, there aren't too many good games, regardless of the type of commercial basis and distribution. Sure, a fully commercial game that operates on a solid budget can afford better graphics, professionally done music etc., but that doesn't always coincide with a great story or excellent playing mechanics. ON the other hand, there are lots of poor quality games that aren't at all free (most of them are of the shareware variety), and they also have little to offer in terms either game design or artistic merit.

In short, a game doesn't have to be commercial to be good, and vice versa, it doesn't have to be free to be bad. It's just that many commercial titles can wrap up a mediocre product in shiny graphics, and run a promo campaign to advertise it so that it surely sells.

Nick02 18-07-2013 09:44 PM

Hello AB. And hello Tracker, what a pleasure to see that you are still making snide comments. Good to know some things (or people) never change. :max:

I actually like the idea of collecting links to Steam, and other services with freeware. But at this point, there isn't much "inspiration" to actually do it. Unlike the staff at Abandonia, we do not have server access. So making any big changes to the site always requires help from people who don't really want to bother. On top of that, the forum has been going down lately with server issues.

I've done my best to improve the site. If it wasn't for me, the site would still be called Abandonia Reloaded (as if we still needed Abandonia attached to the name), and the forum would have never been fixed up or improved. I also tried to help the site branch out, by adding freeware software reviews.

Meanwhile, if it wasn't for Frodo, the site would have been dead before I got there. She's the only staff member who gave a damn, and tried to keep the site running all this time. She single-handedly updated the site, added reviews, and kept it running. She's also tried to hold contests, and other events, to draw traffic to Reloaded. But it falls on deaf ears.

Oh, and let's not forget when management changed all the news links on our homepage to advertisement links! That was an epic moment, showing how much they care about Reloaded.

I also tried to do something nice for both sites, by making a video advertising Reloaded & Abandonia. I got trashed by negative comments here.. so now I don't even bother.

As for the roleplaying, you can knock us all you want Tracker. But at least it adds some life to the forum. I also recall you being apart of it, until you attempted to destroy it. So don't knock something, when you were a willingly participant just a couple of years ago.

-Nick

Tracker 19-07-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick02 (Post 454778)
I actually like the idea of collecting links to Steam, and other services with freeware. But at this point, there isn't much "inspiration" to actually do it. Unlike the staff at Abandonia, we do not have server access. So making any big changes to the site always requires help from people who don't really want to bother. On top of that, the forum has been going down lately with server issues.

I've done my best to improve the site. If it wasn't for me, the site would still be called Abandonia Reloaded (as if we still needed Abandonia attached to the name), and the forum would have never been fixed up or improved. I also tried to help the site branch out, by adding freeware software reviews.

Meanwhile, if it wasn't for Frodo, the site would have been dead before I got there. She's the only staff member who gave a damn, and tried to keep the site running all this time. She single-handedly updated the site, added reviews, and kept it running. She's also tried to hold contests, and other events, to draw traffic to Reloaded. But it falls on deaf ears.

Oh, and let's not forget when management changed all the news links on our homepage to advertisement links! That was an epic moment, showing how much they care about Reloaded.

I also tried to do something nice for both sites, by making a video advertising Reloaded & Abandonia. I got trashed by negative comments here.. so now I don't even bother.

As for the roleplaying, you can knock us all you want Tracker. But at least it adds some life to the forum. I also recall you being apart of it, until you attempted to destroy it. So don't knock something, when you were a willingly participant just a couple of years ago.

-Nick

Long time no see, Nick. What a surprise. Well, it's not only a nice idea to begin writing about quality freeware, it seems to be the only way to make use of Reloaded. It has a lot of potential that should be used to the site's advantages. On the other hand, I don't imagine it requires server access or big changes. Just begin posting reviews and news about the best freeware one can download - that is, if you have the time and resources. We could even ask people if they wanted to write reviews about quality freeware for Reloaded on these boards.

See? I don't know what was wrong with being called "Abandonia Reloaded", but that must have been the beginning of the parting. It reads as if you don't believe you need the Abandonia name and Abandonia itself either (except for when you want to advertise your retro social networks).

About the host, they care about us just the same.

Video advertisements... well... I couldn't find the thread (it was probably deleted), but I think that an advertisement represents what is being advertised, and why would we want to be represented by something we don't honestly enjoy. Some of us didn't like it, some of us did. I don't think you couldn't have made compromises to your "artistic vision" to satisfy a larger userbase.

Last, but not least, your roleplay adds only to your personal life, and not the site's. While the two have common parts they are not the same. You tend not to recall that.

That's all I've got to say on the topic, frankly.

Good luck with Reloaded.org.

Nick02 19-07-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker (Post 454790)
Long time no see, Nick. What a surprise. Well, it's not only a nice idea to begin writing about quality freeware, it seems to be the only way to make use of Reloaded. It has a lot of potential that should be used to the site's advantages. On the other hand, I don't imagine it requires server access or big changes. Just begin posting reviews and news about the best freeware one can download - that is, if you have the time and resources. We could even ask people if they wanted to write reviews about quality freeware for Reloaded on these boards.

See? I don't know what was wrong with being called "Abandonia Reloaded", but that must have been the beginning of the parting. It reads as if you don't believe you need the Abandonia name and Abandonia itself either (except for when you want to advertise your retro social networks).

About the host, they care about us just the same.

Video advertisements... well... I couldn't find the thread (it was probably deleted), but I think that an advertisement represents what is being advertised, and why would we want to be represented by something we don't honestly enjoy. Some of us didn't like it, some of us did. I don't think you couldn't have made compromises to your "artistic vision" to satisfy a larger userbase.

Last, but not least, your roleplay adds only to your personal life, and not the site's. While the two have common parts they are not the same. You tend not to recall that.

That's all I've got to say on the topic, frankly.

Good luck with Reloaded.org.

We need to have more than just two people adding reviews. Why bother?

Server access would be required so we could actually host the games ourselves, like we were able to do in the past. I also have a vision for what Reloaded could be, in terms of updating the site's design, and adding new sections. But I have no control over that.

Uh.. no. We don't need Abandonia stuck to Reloaded's name. It never made any sense. It's not like anyone from Abandonia really gives a rat's ass about Reloaded anymore, or actually comes to the forum. The only time we will get AB users, is when someone is looking for an old game that is considered freeware (like Grand Theft Auto).

Advertise my social networks? That was once. So don't exaggerate. You don't see me come here anymore. And this is exactly why.

OH PLEASE! Above caring about Abandonia and Reloaded the same.. is a complete JOKE.
  1. Abandonia has server access, can host games.
  2. Abandonia has less advertisements.
  3. Abovo staff actually visit the AB forums.

Need I go on? Reloaded is just a profit page for Abovo. If they could remove all the games, and just make it an advertisement page: they would. They have no interest in the site. Instead, we're supposed to work on a broken site like volunteers.

As for roleplaying, if we didn't post there.. the forum would be dead. What else is there to post about, on a site with two active members? The roleplay keeps Reloaded alive.

MrFlibble 30-07-2015 05:29 PM

Wow, I haven't updated the list in quite a while. Added the following games:

OpenGGS
An open source remake of The Great Giana Sisters (a Super Mario Bros. clone). The author has permission to use original graphics from the Commodore 64 version, but there's also a free tile set as well.

Annex: Conquer the World
A free, open source real-time strategy game based on the MegaGlest engine, which is apparently inspired by the Command & Conquer series of games, as well as Earth 2140 and sequels, Warzone 2100 and StarCraft. There are four playable factions, several terrain tilesets, customizable tech trees, campaign scenarios, skirmish and mutliplayer modes.

The same developer is working on another RTS with a space sci-fi setting, called Terra Centauri: Last Stand. A beta is available here.

Wyrmsun
A free, open source real-time strategy game that runs on the Stratagus engine (an engine recreation of Warcraft II). Its art style is remarkable close to that of Blizzard's famous game, however Wyrmsun is an original title with its own unique features like individual unit names, traits and experience points, a turn-based grand strategy mode, and a setting that blends fantasy and mythology with real historical background.

Wyrmsun is free and open source, but those who would like to support its development can buy copies from Steam and Desura.

There are also some other interesting titles but not yet added to the list:

openKB is an engine recreation project for New World Computing's King's Bounty, with planned support for the original game's files as well as a free open source data set. The development is in its early stages, so no downloads yet.

Free Mars is a free, open source turn-based strategy game inspired by Sid Meier's Civilization, Colonization and Alpha Centauri.

Rescue! Max is a remake of Rescue!, a Mac shareware game.

CATharsis is a project to create an open source clone of Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project in Blender. It's not an engine recreation, but rather a stand-alone game similar to DNMP but with its own protagonist, art, levels etc. Rather early stages of development.

In other news, recently a Windows binary executable was made available for LordsAWar!, a free open source clone of SSG's Warlords II. The version is 0.3.0, which features a two single-player scenarios, random map mode, and network multiplayer.

MrFlibble 19-08-2015 01:32 PM

The list has been updated with the following games:

Dungeon KeeperHerzog ZweiRailroad TycoonTotal AnnihilationFleet Command, Harpoon

arete 22-08-2015 11:02 AM

Traaaainsssss!!!!!

MrFlibble 18-10-2015 01:28 PM

Recently I've discovered a game called Subevel Zero, which is a 6DoF Descent-like corridor flyer/shooter with randomly generated levels. I checked if a playable demo was available, and found out that apparently this game was originally created for Ludum Dare, and a pre-release free/trial version is available from here.

The free version is quite different from the final commercial game, and it's somewhat closer to the original Descent as well. It allows for infinite play with randomly generated levels, and there are also random powerups that enhance the player's stats (e.g. increased rate of fire or maximum ammo capacity for a certain weapon). Here's a couple of gameplay videos:
Ludum dare entry gameplay
Commercial version gameplay

MrFlibble 16-12-2015 12:36 PM

Freedoom v0.10 is out, with lots of improvements. More monsters and almost all weapons have been replaced with higher quality art. Maps have been updated as well.

Wyrmsun v1.8.0 adds the custom hero option and inventories for heroes and high-level units.

MrFlibble 10-02-2022 01:10 PM

I haven't touched this in a long while, but recently I worked through the lists and completely rearranged them, based on more useful criteria. I also added a number of new games to the lists as well.

The current time is 04:46 PM (GMT)