Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dosbox The Easy Way To Play (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=2476)

mouse31e 17-01-2005 11:51 AM

i like the image - it does the job perfectly.

I would only make one small (and if i'm honest, insignificant) change. I find it better to create a DosBox shortcut on my desktop so I don't need to mess around with more than one window! :D

It doesn't make any difference and it doesn't really matter, that's just what I do! :D

BUFFY 17-01-2005 12:00 PM

Thats a real good idea, who wants to do all that navigating ;)

The only reason i'm leaving it that way is that i feel it conveys a image more people are familar with, more obvious etc. With the folder layout rather then some unfamilar desktop background with a shortcut on it. As it is meant for people new to DosBox.

If this site choses to use a similar explanation then changes are welcome.

LeD 17-01-2005 12:10 PM

DOSBOX doens't work on my system, i'm running win98 i tried that already. I install.exe still says CAN'T LOAD RESOURCE.MAP! don't know why cuiz the file is in there

mouse31e 17-01-2005 12:17 PM

DosBox only works on WinXP! :D

Eagle of Fire 17-01-2005 12:33 PM

This work is worth being stickied. Well done on the picture.

Reup 17-01-2005 01:19 PM

Another option would be to place the DosBOX-icon in your quicklaunch-toolbar. Then you can drag the program onto it, even when (part of) your desktop is behind some windows!

xoopx 17-01-2005 01:21 PM

different games can need different settings, so i do recommend people get d-fend

punch999 17-01-2005 01:38 PM

yes d-fend rocks i also reccomend every one use it

Havell 17-01-2005 05:37 PM

No! When my friends are round and I start typing things in I look really clever :D

Yamcha 17-01-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mouse31e@Jan 17 2005, 03:17 PM
DosBox only works on WinXP! :D
Then how im running it?? :sneaky:
Or maybe cuz i have Se :huh:

blazer-glory 29-01-2005 11:53 PM

when I try and install Uncharted Waters 2 I keep getting the message...'Not the designated disk. Please insert NH_CD and press ENTER'

Please help! :s

Guest 31-01-2005 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BUFFY@Jan 24 2005, 10:16 PM
cycles=20000 or if your comp cant handle it cycles=13000
How can I find out the maximum cycles my machine can handle?

Eagle of Fire 31-01-2005 05:53 AM

I have a 2 gig computer here and I never go higher than 10000 cycles. Only one game asked for more so far and it was really a big game (C&C).

IMHO 20000 is way too much, most user will overcycle their DOSBox if they go so high...

blazer-glory 31-01-2005 02:59 PM

Whenever I go fullscreen the colours screw up. Anyone know why?

Guest 31-01-2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 31 2005, 06:53 AM
IMHO 20000 is way too much, most user will overcycle their DOSBox if they go so high...
So... we can only estimate the number of cycles? Can we not determine it precisely?

Rogue 01-02-2005 12:23 AM

No, we can't, because it vary from computer to computer. It depends on speed of computer, how much ads you have, etc... :D

Mad-E-Fact 07-02-2005 03:59 PM

Is there a way to set the graphics conversion to a higher scale than x2 in windowed mode? I'm running my desktop in 1280x1024 so something like x3 would be nice, yet all I can see in Boxer (the frontend I'm using) is x2 and that hardware scaling which doesn't work for me. Is there some setting in DosBox itself to change that?

konfliktPL 07-02-2005 04:45 PM

Start->Program Files->DOSBox->DOSBox.conf?

Mad-E-Fact 10-02-2005 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by konfliktPL@Feb 7 2005, 05:45 PM
Yes... and what next? ;)

konfliktPL 10-02-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad-E-Fact
Quote:

Originally Posted by konfliktPL

Yes... and what next? ;) [/b]

If hwscale doesn't work for You, try modifying "scaler" value. :)

The Fifth Horseman 10-02-2005 01:27 PM

I don't have my dosbox.conf on me ATM, but you can set the full screen mode to work at a fixed resolution and then you can set what resolution it is.

Mad-E-Fact 11-02-2005 03:03 PM

Thanks, I found the setting in the config. Problem is, Boxer doesn't support the advmame3x scaler yet, so I'd have to run Dosbox manually every time. Will have to wait for a new version I guess. :)

Phett 11-02-2005 05:19 PM

I've noticed some of the graphics on the games are poorer than what they used to be back in the day.

e.g Aces over europe I've run it and it's alot more 'blocky' than what i remember same with xwing some of the detail is missing.

Is there a way I can correct this by changing some values in dosbox if so what?

Or am I just gonna have to live with it thnx for any help/advice

Ty for a great site brings back loads of my childhood memories playing these games again

Guest 12-02-2005 05:05 AM

Im trying to get wing commander privateer to work on dosbox, and yes i have xp. I already found out the basic commands, but some sites said u need to change ems=false (i think) in dosbox.conf. I found dosbox.conf, but how do i open it? :wall:

Mad-E-Fact 12-02-2005 04:00 PM

You can open the config file with any editor, or you use a frontend (like Boxer, or d-fend) which is more comfortable to use.

Jerry 15-02-2005 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Feb 12 2005, 06:05 AM
Im trying to get wing commander privateer to work on dosbox, and yes i have xp. I already found out the basic commands, but some sites said u need to change ems=false (i think) in dosbox.conf. I found dosbox.conf, but how do i open it? :wall:
Hi - I'm also trying to get Privateer to work in DOS Box - did you have any success? I have used the ems=false option in the config file but there is still an error in loading in DOS Box. Stating that EMS must not use NOEMS but "RAM". Did you succeed (Also XP)

Mad-E-Fact 27-02-2005 11:00 AM

Every DOS game runs in dosbox, its just an emulation for windows XP which doesn't have a dos command... thingy. If you have troubles setting the dosbox config, just download a front-end like d-fend, it's much easier to set-up. and read the stickies in this forum! :P

sam 16-03-2005 05:30 PM

hey dudes i cant seem to get dosbox to load up my 'animal' game i keep getting this message on the dosbox thing hmmmm and do u still need the cd to play the game in dos box?

BUFFY 17-03-2005 04:23 AM

Hey Sam

Before anyone can help you, you really need to say what the error message is as that will help identify the problem.

Also it helps to state the spec's of your computer such as the Operating System, Mhz, ram etc.

Is the game simply called Animal? State the full name of the game incase there is a specific solution to the game.

sam 17-03-2005 04:01 PM

yeh the game is called animal u know the peperomi game the message that comes up is......cannot open file D:\gfxpalette\pep.pal then it sez go on be a animal play the game again then it sez C:\animal

Data 17-03-2005 09:51 PM

inside dosbox that will not work.
as dosbox wants filenames shorter then 8 characters
gfxpalette is too long.

The Fifth Horseman 18-03-2005 07:25 AM

Maybe try running that game under Windows.

If you are running XP and it does not work under it nor under DosBox, then it is just another of the games designed for Win 9x that shows you a middle finger in Win XP. You might try the Properties--->Compatibility tag, but that's last resort and doesn't always work.

Nosferrath 02-04-2005 07:38 AM

All the games that I play in DosBox run in slow motion. How many cycles and frame rates are needed for the games to run normally ?

Wyatt Earp 02-04-2005 08:26 PM

guys i have ultima 7 downloaded and also syndicate, for ultima 7 it says i need to remove the ems memory function as it wont run otherwise. Great site btw, i really like it and hope to be spending more time here. I have sound problems with syndicate also but i see that thats in another thread.

thanks again for your help.

Wyatt Earp 02-04-2005 08:27 PM

i need to find out how to remove the ems function btw in case prev post wasnt clear enough.

wendymaree 03-04-2005 01:16 AM

If you're playing in dosbox, then you just need to configure the dosbox.conf file. In the file you have the option to disable ems memory. If you're playing in DOS or Win98, I'm not 100% sure but try this: go to 'run' from the start up menu, then type in sysedit, then from there you configure either the autoexe.bat or config.sys - I forgot which but it's the one which has the entry for EMMS. There, you add NOEMS at the end of the line which refers to EMMS.

Guest 03-04-2005 03:03 PM

ive found the line that says ems mem but ive typed disable into it and also ive typed false (as it originally listed ems value as true) and neither seemed to want to disable it. i dont know much about this sort of stuff so any more help would be appreciatied.

Guest_guest 03-04-2005 08:54 PM

i use "advanced game loader" as dosbox frontend

http://www.sven-of-nine.de => download

sites in german

give it a try

a42

Colly 08-04-2005 01:11 PM

DOSBox newbie here...

When I tried to install Destruction Derby under XP without DOSbox, I got the message that I couldn't run it on this PC because it only had 2048KB ram and the game needed 6144KB ram. So I tried DOSbox next...

When I tried to install the game using DOSbox, I did the following:
Started DOSBox
mount F F:\ (to see my CDrom where the game CD is)
mound C D:\ (because I wanted the game install to see hard drive D as C during install)
Those worked OK, but then when I ran the INSTALL.BAT on F:, I got the message that I couldn't run the game on this PC because I needed MSCDEX drivers installed.

Weird. It obviously could SEE the cdrom drive because it was already running the install.bat (and INST.EXE) from the cdrom.

How do I configure DOSBox so that it looks like it has MSCDEX drivers in it?
I remember the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT each need a line, but I forgot the exact syntax for each. Can someone help me out here?

Rogue 08-04-2005 01:19 PM

Follow this tutorial, and that game should work fine with it. (But you need fast machine to run it)

Data 08-04-2005 01:36 PM

in the first mount
mount f f:\ -t cdrom

Reflection 09-04-2005 01:28 AM

Could someone please help me out? :cry:

It's the first time I'm using DosBox.

I can play some games by dragging the file into DosBox [Flashback, Escape From Delirium], no sound from Delirioum though. Other games don't seem to work that way though -

Alone In The Dark
Laura Bow II
Alien Incident
Bloodnet
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
Leisure Suit Larry 1,2,3,4,6

I've also followed the guide using Flashback in Dosbox, isn't working for me. :wall:

nicolas 10-04-2005 12:38 AM

:sniper: is there something similar for win98 users like me who wants to play wizardry 7. :ranting:

PLEASE!!!! HELP :help:

maenad_princess 10-04-2005 05:43 PM

Hey
I was in the middle of ecoquest (using dosbox) and it went blank and said Out of handles!
What does that mean, and how can I fix it?
Thanks!

XCOM_Squaddie 13-04-2005 10:56 AM

Quote:

DOSBOX doens't work on my system, i'm running win98 i tried that already. I install.exe still says CAN'T LOAD RESOURCE.MAP! don't know why cuiz the file is in there

I'm using DOSBOX with Windows 98 and it works fine. Although I do have some troubles with choppy music, no matter how much I adjust the frame rate. I turn it down for the music to work and then the game gets slowed down, LOL. Does anyone know how (if I can) fix this? Maybe in the DOSBOX config somewhere? :wall:

The Fifth Horseman 13-04-2005 11:39 AM

Maybe you don't have enough RAM / CPU power for DB to work right...

Try setting a weaker soundcard and a lower frequency (22 Khz or, in extreme cases, 11).

Quote:

I can play some games by dragging the file into DosBox [Flashback, Escape From Delirium], no sound from Delirioum though. Other games don't seem to work that way though -

Better run the DosBox UI, then run the setup programs of these games, and finaly launch the game from DB UI.

street fighter 15-04-2005 10:05 AM

hey I was going to play street fighter 2 on Dosbox and i followed the simple instructions with draging the game to dosbox. but still it does'nt work :cry:

Dore 22-04-2005 04:49 AM

I have a powerful machine, 2.4mhz, 768 megs of RAM. I noticed in the example that the game about to be played is Brutal. Wellll....Brutal won't play on my machine. I get this. "Load error: no DPMI - get cspdpmi*b.zip" Any help is appreciated!

Data 22-04-2005 08:22 AM

how about getting that file ? typing the name in google will lead you to some results.

omg 25-04-2005 09:14 AM

if you fear command line and want to use your fave games with a wizard to help u out get d fend here it has a wizard for configuring your games, and makes tweaking settings a breeze, also setting up your graphics too, weather direct draw or open gl is the flavour of your graphics, setting it up is quick an painless. im gonna get a defend tutorial done 2 day, lord and lady admins should i post it on this thread or start a new one?

Data 25-04-2005 09:57 AM

doesn't matter. We can always split/merge posts. but try a new one for clarity

omg 25-04-2005 10:07 AM

cheers, nearly done it. gimme 2 more ciggies an a cup of tea and it will be up, jus gotta get a game shot for the end stage, so i will maybe dissapear into frontier! (o the joys of these programs).. edit::
time passes
its up. i had to do it because it seems that a lot of the questions on this thread could be ansered by using dfend. would be nice if you could give it the once over an tell me if theres anything u think i have missed, (or that needs editing LOL its my first tutorial) a lot of the cli fearing are gonna love using it as it does make editing multiple configurations a dream in my opinion. does dos box have the open gl and direct draw settings like dfend?

omg 25-04-2005 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 31 2005, 06:53 AM
I have a 2 gig computer here and I never go higher than 10000 cycles. Only one game asked for more so far and it was really a big game (C&C).

im running frontier at 20000 cycles with dfend, makes it look laaarvly. my system is a 1.1 ghz

Critbot 04-05-2005 11:56 PM

Ok i know to go into full screen is alt+enter *or editing that file to true* but when i go fullscreen it cuts off some of the left side of the screen so i might see half a word for example but on the right side i can see it all however theres a black gap next to it *about the same about as what is cut off on the left so it seems it could be fixed if i could nudge it to the right a bit* and i dont know how to fix it, some one suggested changing the resolution in fullscreen to 800x600 but that did nothing :( any ideas? i really want to play some games full screen but cant while that is happening :cry:

The Fifth Horseman 05-05-2005 06:23 AM

Check dosbox.conf. There is fullfixed= option and something about width and height in fullfixed. Try this.

Critbot 05-05-2005 04:56 PM

cant see anything :( i tried changing fullfixed but that didnt do anything either :(

Guest 06-05-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LeD@Jan 17 2005, 01:10 PM
It's probably common knowledge but somone might not be real familiar with
DOS and the associated problems running the various DOS games with W98...

My solution was to install a second hard drive with DOS 6.2 installed to run the
DOS stuff. The beauty? about this setup is that I can do all my editing on/for the DOS drive using W98 (because W98/95 is essentially DOS based). I log/boot into either drive in the BIOS setup.

Additionally, some DOS games will run when logged into W98 and play on the DOS drive without foooling with the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

P.S. I bought the second hardrive (used) at a computer repair shop for a few bucks. (It's only 3-4 Gig...plenty for DOS games)

Zapper

milo 06-05-2005 08:58 PM

thanx for the first post in the topic, finally something helpfull for dosbox :cheers:

BeefontheBone 27-05-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Critbot@May 5 2005, 12:56 AM
when i go fullscreen it cuts off some of the left side of the screen so i might see half a word for example but on the right side i can see it all however theres a black gap next to it *about the same about as what is cut off on the left so it seems it could be fixed if i could nudge it to the right a bit*
You need to set fullfix=true and the resolution, and set fullscreen=true, like this:

Code:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=800x600

That should do the trick. The other option is to keep adjusting your monitor settings, but that's not really a solution :)

Law 29-05-2005 04:34 PM

I'm not having trouble running games on dos box, but when I do play the game on dos box it seems to play the game a lot slower. For example if I go to a different area it loads 2-5 seconds longer than usual. If I dont run the game on dosbox and just double click the .bat file it runs fine with no slow downs, but I get no sound

What can I do to make dosbox run the game faster or load it faster. It cant be my computer because I have P3 3.4 ghz 1 gig ram and a 9800pro video card. Any info would be appreciated.

BeefontheBone 29-05-2005 05:04 PM

Increase your CPU cycles in DOSBox - read this thread for details.

Irishevil 30-05-2005 08:17 PM

I Can't seem to run Uncharted Waters 2, it keeps saying not the designated disk, please insert NH_CD?

Huh?

BeefontheBone 30-05-2005 10:16 PM

If anyone finds DOSBox difficult to use or has any (constructive!) thoughts about how it could be improved, please post them here.

Eagle of Fire 03-06-2005 09:22 PM

Splitted the 2 revellant posts from this thread and sent them there instead. With the topic starter removed, I think this thread has gone off topic long enough now.

The current time is 03:48 PM (GMT)