Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   On site (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Stars (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=245)

juanml82 26-05-2004 03:15 PM

Stars

Stars! is a rare game I want to get. Some knows if it can be put here or if not where can I get it?

Tom Henrik 26-05-2004 07:00 PM

What is Stars? Never heard of it before.

Omuletzu 26-05-2004 07:05 PM

No luck juan... read this page and see what i'm talking about:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3228

preDa 26-05-2004 07:29 PM

:?
hum i never see that game

nice... but is abandoned?

efthimios 08-04-2005 03:33 PM

I have the original game, with a key, but I don't know if it is abw or not. If it is I could help I guess.

Funny thing is I installed the game a couple of months ago, and it is still as good as it was then. Of course its graphics don't age at all no matter what :bleh:

Omuletzu 08-04-2005 03:34 PM

Please do NOT revive old topics ef!

rayofash 04-07-2005 08:21 PM

VGA Planets 4

Both are 4X games, made back in the early 90's for BBS play:

Stars!:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...screenshot.jpg

VGA Planets:

http://webpages.charter.net/kgnorris...creenshot2.png

I cant find these games anywhere!

a1s 04-07-2005 08:22 PM

aren't those freeware to begin with?
turns out I can answer that question myslef- no.

MrBackAlleySka 04-07-2005 09:35 PM

Oooo these look nice. They aren't abandonware are they?

DakaSha 04-07-2005 09:38 PM

stars! was a commercial game that you were able to get at the-underdogs... sadly they dont have it for download anymore

BeefontheBone 04-07-2005 09:47 PM

Windows games too.

Borodin 04-07-2005 09:49 PM

Stars! Has been replaced by Stars Unlimited!, from the same indie developer.

efthimios 05-07-2005 12:30 AM

As far as I know the sequel to Stars! is as good as dead, as is the company, but could be wrong I guess.

As for the original, it is a great game, I actualy have it installed :-) I have the original CD from Empire Interactive. One of the first CD games that I remember, that had a "Key". Good thing it doesn't need the freaking CD to play.

Eagle of Fire 05-07-2005 12:52 AM

I played Stars! a lot when it was still Abandonware (a loooooooooong time ago...). Sadly I lost the copy I had. :tai: Very good game.

Never played VGA Planets. Look like a very good game tough.

tazzy_s 05-07-2005 01:54 PM

i managed to get a copy but it's a shareware copy with some of the functions disabled.

DakaSha 05-07-2005 02:05 PM

i still have the abandonware release

:D

thank god for my archive :Brain:

Doubler 05-07-2005 02:32 PM

I have the game too. Propably the 'original cd'.
Never really played it though...

efthimios 05-07-2005 03:35 PM

Doubler, is your copy the one published by Empire Interactive? If not, does it also need a "Key" as mine?

BTW, the last time I saw the game in stores was like 1-2 years ago! In one of those replay/gold/whatever versions that sell for 4.99 or whatever. You might want to look through one of those brands. You could also contact Empire Interactive directly (I think it is empireinteractive.co.uk) perhaps they still have a copy somewhere.

Doubler 05-07-2005 07:39 PM

Looking at CD...
Logo's:
Cyberium Media Group BV
Cybergold
Empire Interactive
Real Game Play

Enters CD into drive...
Yes, it needs a CD key, allthough in this budget release by Cyberium Media Group BV it isn't entirely in effect any more. They give the serial at install.
It's legal, though.

I got it as a holiday present two years ago (Sinterklaas :D ).

rayofash 07-07-2005 12:04 AM

So Stars! is still being sold? Where? Whats the site? I googled Stars! and the only sites I could find were all dead.

Kingwood 08-07-2005 02:11 PM

Thereīs a site that has Stars! available for downlad, fully functional, no key required. Took me ages to find it, but itīs possible. If it really is Abandonware, Iīll post the link here. Somebody needs to tell me though.

Cheers

[Edit: The site is gone. I just went and checked. Sorry.]

lgonggr 08-07-2005 04:32 PM

Bummer, I played Stars! ages ago, and loved it. The minefields could be a little excessive tough. Sadly I don't have it anymore. If it's freeware and you can get it I really recommend you put it on your site. I'd volunteer for reviewing it.

Eagle of Fire 08-07-2005 06:40 PM

Stars! is not abandonware.

efthimios 08-07-2005 08:52 PM

Is cricium (sp?) still around? I thought that after failing to find a publisher for the sequel they went bankrupt or something.

MrBackAlleySka 07-10-2005 06:46 PM

Hey guys. This isn't a request, but more of a question. The 4x game Stars!, is it abandonware/freeware? A site has it now for download, when before they had a buy it link. I will NOT link to the site, nor say which site it is, for I don't wanna accidentally link to oldwarez. However has there been something recentely that has turned this wonderful game to abandon? Or is this site mistaken?

mouse31e 07-10-2005 07:12 PM

Though there is a download still at HOTU, you can no longer find the serial codes on the forum because the game can still be purchased here.

So sorry, not abandoned at all, HOTU have made a mistake and I expect they will remove their download soon (but it doesn't work anyway because they have removed the serial codes).

Shame. It's a quality game. :cry:

MrBackAlleySka 07-10-2005 09:29 PM

ahhh I see. ^^ I didn't actually download the game, so I didn't know about the serial codes being removed from the game. Thanks mouse.

You know mouse, it's been a while since ive seen you! Where you been?

Yorae 07-04-2007 10:27 PM

I've looked at links on these forums and HOTUDs, everywere i look says its no longer sold now i was wondering if anyone could confirm this and if its true upload the game somewere with serial.

I Beg you. :kosta:

Luchsen 08-04-2007 04:14 PM

The official statement is at the bottom of the Empire Interactive Support. Never seen a publisher that admits discontinuation of support on an extensive user-friendly (except the length without index) support site. :blink:

Eagle of Fire 08-04-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Q: I would like to buy a copy of the game.

A: This software is no longer available from our store as the item has now been delisted and we do not support,produce or distribute the software anymore.[/b]
Hey, that would be great! Stars! is one of the best 4X games ever created for PC. It would be a great addition to the site or AR. :)

Luchsen 08-04-2007 11:50 PM

A post regarding Turok 2: Seeds of Evil in special but all games in general:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Sep 2 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]252383[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It's quite simple, really. The game is not protected, nor supported. And as CDACCESS say they are sold out (which was the only place I was able to find it in a store) it is no longer sold. As such it is abandoned. Until the point that one of the three criterias no longer exist. (Like, for instance, CDACCESS restocking.)
[/b]
The only shop for Stars! is sould out and as Stars! is not produced anymore this state probably will continue. The support is discontinued. There is no official protection but if we host it it could be that Empire Interactive or the developers will react as they're somewhat interested in their games (not like the companies not existing anymore or that seem to have forgotten their early years). But to know this we have to host it and because of our credo "We host it till somebody important complains" we would do that anyway, or not? So I don't really know why I write so much and am now hoping to not have said any bullshit.

P.S. I need a smilie that visualises my madness.

[edit] Why did I not enter Empire Interactive at the AW list? Protection is no problem re Empire Interactive. [/edit]

[edit] And now I don't know why I did not use that:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 14 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]266887[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

What is Abandonware and what is not?
Abandonware has different description all over the place, but here on this site we follow THESE rules:

1. No-one is selling the game (second-hand auctions doesn't count).
2. No-one is supporting the game.
3. No-one will get mad at us for placing the software up for download.

[/b]
Have to learn yoga or something like that to raise my concentration. [/edit]

Eagle of Fire 09-04-2007 03:41 AM

Seems like we're not the only people who found out that STARS! is now abandoned. I did a quick search on my prefered P2P program search engine, and I easily found in 2 minutes the full game with serial... Something I didn't been able to do in years.

It would not allow people to play multiplayer games together because each players other than the host needs their own serial number... However, it's enough to play singleplayer and the game is still great even if you play against computers. :)

The Fifth Horseman 10-04-2007 09:24 AM

I remember reading a review of it in (now-defunct) Secret Service. Sounded interesting.

Eagle of Fire 10-04-2007 05:29 PM

So, who's going to make a review of it? I'm up for the task. :)

kvn8907 28-05-2007 03:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Apr 8 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]286479[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Quote:

Q: I would like to buy a copy of the game.

A: This software is no longer available from our store as the item has now been delisted and we do not support,produce or distribute the software anymore.[/b]
Hey, that would be great! Stars! is one of the best 4X games ever created for PC. It would be a great addition to the site or AR. :)
[/b]
It was one of those Shareware games that still gives me nightmares, because I was never allowed to register/buy any shareware games, so for my whole young life before I could buy retail games at will, I was tormented by games like Stars, which teased with features the full version had, but they were features I could never have.

Thank goodness for abandonware. I'm still a fan of retail, though sometimes those games get too complicated (plus they cost actual money). Still, I can't understand companies that still won't release their games after they've been out for more than 15 years (I'm not refering to Stars!, but there's plenty of other super-old games that were never released in full even today).

GTX2GvO 06-06-2007 07:49 PM

I HAVE This game on Disk. (bought it quite a while ago) :brain:

Need it? :kosta:

The Fifth Horseman 11-06-2007 02:31 PM

Yups.

GTX2GvO 11-06-2007 03:52 PM

You'll get it in the ISO cellar request thread.

Eagle of Fire 12-06-2007 03:38 AM

I have the zipped game myself... I even offered above to make the review... Never got back on this.

Skymutt 20-06-2007 12:03 AM

Hi everyone, I've been searching for a copy of this game for a long time now. I actually own it on CD, but I've lost the manual (which is where I placed the serial sticker.) A couple friends and I want to play vs each other, via email. Could anyone provide me with a handful of serials?

The Fifth Horseman 08-08-2007 05:03 PM

Stars! is - of course - approved.

Can't find any info about the other one, either as "Planets 4" or "VGA Planets". Not in OW List, not on Moby, not on HOTU.

Luchsen 08-08-2007 05:12 PM

VGA Planets 4: Attack of the Pods from outer Space is active shareware (a beta for $30?!).

_r.u.s.s. 08-08-2007 05:21 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luchsen @ Aug 8 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]303660[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

VGA Planets 4: Attack of the Pods from outer Space is active shareware (a beta for $30?!).
[/b]
jeez, even my sister would make a better site

Eagle of Fire 08-08-2007 05:37 PM

When Stars! became ABW again, I found it on a filesharing program and I been playing it ever since. It works like a charm, except for the fact that you can only play singleplayer because you need several serial numbers to play multiplayer turn by turn. I am pretty sure that you could play hotseat tough. I'd have to test that.

Oh, and this mean that I have the game available for Abandonia, BTW. ;)

Lord Kobra 16-10-2008 11:08 AM

Stars!

Really hoped this game would be on the site, I think it was moved to the approved section about a year ago but I cant find it anywhere :hairpull:
Am I just being blind or is it really not here? *goes and cries in the corner if its not here*

Thanks

The Fifth Horseman 16-10-2008 11:27 AM

Not on the site, but we've got a copy in the ISO Cellar.

Lord Kobra 16-10-2008 11:44 AM

Sorry, at the risk of sounding stupid - what is the ISO Cellar? and is it still possible to get a copy of this game?

The Fifth Horseman 16-10-2008 11:52 AM

First. ISO Cellar is a special forum that shows to users who have been around for some time and participated in the forum activity. You'll know it when you see it.

Second. Yes, it's still there - just checked.

Dave 16-10-2008 01:10 PM

Approved and added into OWlist :)

Lord Kobra 16-10-2008 05:02 PM

Thanks a lot for your help guys, hopefully I'll be able contribute something to forum now I'm a member. :)

arete 16-10-2008 05:16 PM

The sworn enemy of the GI Joes, the most savage terrorist known to eighties cartoondom... And yet, Kobra Commander is surprisingly emo... :)

Lord Kobra 17-10-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 340229)
The sworn enemy of the GI Joes, the most savage terrorist known to eighties cartoondom... And yet, Kobra Commander is surprisingly emo... :)

Haha think this is emo, you aint seen nothing yet :bleh:
I have to confess the name Kobra was given to me online, but i like the comparison :thumbs:

Eagle of Fire 17-10-2008 11:30 PM

Stars! is one of the few games I'd like to review...

Dave 26-10-2008 03:27 PM

You can if you want :)

Eagle of Fire 26-10-2008 05:01 PM

I can't if I don't get the green light first.

And we need a game to upload. I have it on my HD, but I am not sure if you guys want this version.

The Fifth Horseman 26-10-2008 05:06 PM

We don't have a review for it yet, and I don't recall anyone applying for one either. You're fine to go.

Eagle of Fire 26-10-2008 05:08 PM

Ok. I'll begin working on it then. It was a little while I last played it. Time for a new game. :)

What about the game to upload?

The Fifth Horseman 26-10-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

I have it on my HD, but I am not sure if you guys want this version.
Are there any problems with your version, Eagle?

Eagle of Fire 07-12-2008 02:10 AM

I don't think so Fifth, but I did some extra research and I don't think it will be an issue.

I've found an old great STARS! site which is still thriving, and they have the possibility of issuing new STARS! serial numbers. Basicaly, this mean that you simply need to download the normal game, register it and patch it to one of the last playing versions and you're set!

The only problem is that the guy who have the serial key generator ask for donation to help keeping his site up and opperational. I am currently chatting with the regulars and mods and admins of that site on their forum to see if they could give us a free serial number for the copy we'd have on site. This would allow anybody to play the single game and host hotseat games, and anybody serious enough to want to play multiplayer could go and ask for a new serial.

Problem about serial here is that the game will refuse to generate a turn if all players without exception don't have a unique (different) serial number. And anybody with an unregisted game (without a key) basically end up with a shareware demo...

Eagle of Fire 10-12-2008 02:15 AM

Someone from the great STARS! community solved all our problems today by pointing me in the direction of the download of a lower version which also contain 16 (!) serial keys available for playing.

The difference between version 2.6i and 2.6j are so slim that it's not a problem in term of gameplay or quality.

I'll start my review as soon as our searchers confirm to me the ABW status of STARS! again. Please read this thread at starautohost forum.

Paco 16-01-2009 09:06 PM

Stars!

[APPROVED]

VGA Planets 4

Shareware
[APPROVED]

Eagle of Fire 16-01-2009 10:13 PM

I am currently reviewing STARS!. I am going to start my first few multiplayer games and I'll be able to do a full review then.

STARS! is a very, very slow game to play...

Spoonman 17-01-2009 08:14 AM

As a Stars! fan I would prefer the term time-consuming :p It's good to see it show up in the abandonware scene, although I still have the CD I bought for 2 euros a few years ago.

Eagle of Fire 17-01-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

As a Stars! fan I would prefer the term time-consuming :p
Noted. ;)

ScytheKnight 17-02-2009 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 348876)
I am currently reviewing STARS!. I am going to start my first few multiplayer games and I'll be able to do a full review then.

STARS! is a very, very slow game to play...

Ohh man, I really, REALLY love this game.. I've owned it probably 3 or 4 times over the years and frankly have yet to play a better 4X game.

Will be incredibly sweet to play this again.:thumbs:

Sleep? Who needs it?:omg::coffee:

ScytheKnight 18-03-2009 07:52 PM

Is there any particular hold-up with Stars! or is there just a backlog of other tittles to clear up 1st?:whistling:

Eagle of Fire 18-03-2009 09:22 PM

I want to make sure to experience the game fully in multiplayer before making my review.

Beside, there is tons of other reviews already up. Even if I was to send it today I doubt you'd see it this week...

Just be patient... Or send me a PM. :p

AlumiuN 18-03-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 356832)
Beside, there is tons of other reviews already up. Even if I was to send it today I doubt you'd see it this week...

Or next week either.

ScytheKnight 19-03-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlumiuN (Post 356854)
Or next week either.

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

:hide:

AlumiuN 19-03-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScytheKnight (Post 356883)

We do have about 6 games to clear. Sorry. :)

_r.u.s.s. 19-03-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScytheKnight (Post 356883)

there you go
Stars v2.70i
serial can be found in `serial number.txt`
universe creator editor v1.3 included

i didn't know whether it's a full version or rip so i named it starsRip. but i also found another 120+MB version of it and considering that this version has about 3 MB it's probably rip

Eagle of Fire 19-03-2009 09:17 PM

The last version of the game is 2.70J. But the one I'll upload to the server is exactly that version...

Also, I don't see a message in my PMs... :whistling:

icesnow 30-03-2009 01:46 PM

Stars!

I played this game as a child, and it is listed as Abandonware but I can't find it anywhere. Could some one help.

Paco 30-03-2009 02:03 PM

Stars!

[APPROVED]

AlumiuN 30-03-2009 10:18 PM

AFAIK, most of the material for this is ready to go. Eagle of Fire is still doing the review. :)

Eagle of Fire 30-03-2009 10:33 PM

I think I have enough material to write mly review. I'd still want to be able to experience a big multiplayer war, which should happen shortly in one of my games I am currently playing.

Pox 01-04-2009 06:28 AM

Yeah, what game?

Eagle of Fire 11-09-2009 08:49 PM

Okay, my review entered final stage. You can see the result here.

-EoF

ScytheKnight 01-01-2010 03:56 AM

Soooo... with news posts being available again any idea when we might see the jewel of the 4X genre ready and available for download?

STARS! Was my introduction to the 4X genre and I'm yet to find ANYTHING that matches it's depth and complexity, while still being approachable and easily playable... the only one to come remotely close is Master of Orion II.... when you can get it to work...

Ermuli 01-01-2010 07:40 AM

I'll upload a CloneCD version. It'll be around 140 Mb and manual is on the disc.

Just realized an ISO version already exists @ ISO Cellar...
Well...I'll post a mirror link.

The current time is 10:32 AM (GMT)