Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dune 2000 (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24404)

Professor Oak 09-04-2010 02:00 PM

Dune 2000

Please feel free to comment and discuss this particular title here. If you happen to have any useful pieces of advice or tricks which can allow you, the player to outwit the game, please feel free to share them with the community. I hope you shall enjoy this title.

Review and Download

_r.u.s.s. 09-04-2010 02:03 PM

perhaps you added incorrect review link in the post?

Professor Oak 09-04-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 402310)
perhaps you added incorrect review link in the post?

Not really, I accidentally messed up a few things while creating the page.

Dave 09-04-2010 02:21 PM

We are experiencing problems with extras, but you can find a big collection here ;)

http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000

Poker Crow 13-04-2010 08:18 AM

I was never able to dig into this remake, the original Dune II was so much better to my eyes in every aspect. Even the graphics, though higher res, are very dull on this one. The sand, rocks, buildings, units, EVERYTHING is colored in shades of sandy tones. It's difficut to instantly distinguish different types of units, heck it's even difficult to differentiate units belonging to different Houses. The blue/red/green coloring doesn's stand out that much, unlike the original where everything was colorful and instantly recognizable.

BTW shouldn't this one be on the Strategy category instead of Action?

TotalAnarchy 13-04-2010 10:52 AM

Fixed, thank you. :)

Dave 13-04-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poker Crow (Post 402610)
I was never able to dig into this remake, the original Dune II was so much better to my eyes in every aspect. Even the graphics, though higher res, are very dull on this one. The sand, rocks, buildings, units, EVERYTHING is colored in shades of sandy tones. It's difficut to instantly distinguish different types of units, heck it's even difficult to differentiate units belonging to different Houses. The blue/red/green coloring doesn's stand out that much, unlike the original where everything was colorful and instantly recognizable.

I still prefer Dune II for the same reasons you talked about, but I consider Dune2000 a worthy remake. I have appreciated the different kind of missions, cinematics and the evolution of the strategic gameplay, I found it more balanced, challenging and fast. I'm sure you have noticed the changes they did to Infantry and Siege Tanks for example.

We have to thank C&C engine for this ;)

Panthro 13-04-2010 05:54 PM

My main problem with going back to Dune2 is only being able to select one unit.

Also, I do love the original C&C, so it was a perfect mashup from my point of view.

buzzaldrin 23-04-2010 04:55 PM

Graphic Issue

Love Dune 2 so I thought I would try Dune 2000 out. Well having somewhat of a graphic issue. Right 2/3rd of screen on left, left 1/3rd of screen on right. I have tried all kinds of combos to try anf fix this. I am running Vista with widescreen monitor. I am also running the game in XP compatibility mode as recommended although i did try others to see if the problem corrected. Any ideas?

Panthro 24-04-2010 10:48 AM

What sort of issue?

By this I mean, have you got black borders on each side, or some sort of graphical corruption or stretched image?

The game doesn't support widescreen (as far as I know), and the game played okay on my monitor (22" widescreen, vista 64), just didn't fill the screen properly. Seemed to be in the right resolution though (When I did the review I also took the screen shots).

another_guest 24-04-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthro (Post 403331)
What sort of issue?

By this I mean, have you got black borders on each side, or some sort of graphical corruption or stretched image? ...

"Right 2/3rd of screen on left, left 1/3rd of screen on right."

From the original post, I gather that the left 1/3 of the screen is displayed on the right. Pretty weird, never seen that...

Panthro 24-04-2010 05:47 PM

Sounds like the image has been partially shifted off the left hand side of the screen, and around to the right..?

Not really sure how to sort that.

I wonder if it's possibly to play it in a window?

Maxzwell 03-06-2010 10:42 PM

Screen split 2/3, 1/3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthro (Post 403351)
Sounds like the image has been partially shifted off the left hand side of the screen, and around to the right..?

Not really sure how to sort that.

I wonder if it's possibly to play it in a window?

Yes, that is the problem I am having too. I tried it on two PC's and the same result. This started happening back when XP first came out and I upgraded my Win98 and it appears every PC with XP is doing this. I tried running in compatibility modes with Win 95/98/ME/2000 with no success. Tried reducing graphics quality (in properties) to 640 by 480 and every other option available there with the same result of 2/3 RHS on left and 1/3 LHS on right screen split.
I am not sure how to make it run in a window instead of full screen, so that's one thing i did not try.

Any suggestions, anyone? I haven't played this game in years and would really like to know how to run it on XP properly.

Thanks.

Maxzwell 04-06-2010 12:15 AM

Btw, here's an update. I decided to play it and see what happens and all the screens/mission selections/etc. remain split 2/3 - 1/3 way until the actual gameplay begins. The game screen itself is fine. After beating a mission the score screen is split again and selecting next mission, which is problematic because you cannot see all of the options where you can click for next mission. So there's some video info missing when the screen is split like that.

Unrelated, and dont remember seeing a note anywhere on this, but there are no movies in between missions. I suppose i should go find my old copy of the game at parents' place.

Panthro 04-06-2010 05:35 PM

The rip I played for the review didn't have the cutscene movies either, but they are on YouTube. Not much help, but at least it gives you a bit of the atmosphere.

MrFlibble 04-06-2010 10:49 PM

Take a look at the Dune 2000 Tech Support Forum at FED2k, I think there are several topics that mention this very issue you have.

Maxzwell 08-06-2010 12:15 AM

Screen split 2/3, 1/3

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 406380)
Take a look at the Dune 2000 Tech Support Forum at FED2k, I think there are several topics that mention this very issue you have.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, as of now the best "fix" they got is the same 1 I found yesterday, which is changing graphics to 8bit mode from game's main menu. Then the missions are fine as long as you don't minimize the game (it gets all screwy again and you gotta save/load the game again to fix it). But there doesn't seem to be a real fix because all other menus and map selection screens are unchanged 2/3 1/3.

Someone spoke of a different solution but no one else confirmed this:
"i swapped from an old tft monitor(only had 3 resolution settings), to a newer model(has 10 res' settings).

After some messing around. i found by changing to 60Hertz and game compatibility mode to 'windows 2000'. it was perfect. no more split screens or unplayable resolutions."

FarSeerPT 22-07-2010 05:24 PM

Well dune 2000 was and maybe still is one of my favourite games of all time.

I always loved it and its a hard game.
To me, this game is more than a worthy remake of dune ll, and the biggest improvement is the fact that you can select more than 1 unit, because thats the only reason that i think that today dune 2 its almost unplayable to me.
Very great games both.

rfxcasey 04-07-2011 02:54 AM

Having an issue with this under Win 7. When I start the game the graphics flicker in the menu and this continues into the gameplay screens. I've tried all manner of compatibility and graphics settings but nothing helps. I'm running the latest Nvidia driver but it was doing it with the last driver as well. Any help would be great.

hunvagy 04-07-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfxcasey (Post 429978)
Having an issue with this under Win 7. When I start the game the graphics flicker in the menu and this continues into the gameplay screens. I've tried all manner of compatibility and graphics settings but nothing helps. I'm running the latest Nvidia driver but it was doing it with the last driver as well. Any help would be great.

Prolly should be in troubleshooting, but oh well. Dune 2k is 2D if I recall, and older directx, which can cause a few problems in win7. If you think you're savvy enough with command line, there's an easy fix for this, you have to kill explorer while you play. Explorer as in the UI of windows :)

TASKKILL /F /IM explorer.exe

this will shut it down, but I'd advise to put it in a batch file, restarting explorer after.

eXtinct 05-07-2011 07:10 PM

Dune 2 really is such an awesome game. I remember spending so much time on it after I finished all my exams back when I was like 14

KrazeeXXL 07-07-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthro
My main problem with going back to Dune2 is only being able to select one unit.

Also, I do love the original C&C, so it was a perfect mashup from my point of view.

seconded

I also encountered some graphical problems (XP, ATI). I had to turn off VSYNC completely and set it up to 98 compatibility mode + switching desktop to 16 bit. It's definitely desktop related imo. Also had to switch the desktop resolution to 640x480 sometimes.

hunvagy's solution might come into handy with this game.

Nick101st 27-01-2012 06:33 PM

i don't know if somebody else already said this thing, but i've just tried this game under win7 64 bit and it works like a charm ! :smile2:
just extract the game, double-click on the dune2000.exe, enjoy!

Unregistered457893 06-04-2012 08:24 AM

dune 2 problems

I had 2 problems with Dune2:
1. The complete empowerment of the AI to compensate for its stupidity.
e.g. I destroyed a rocket turret and all concrete slabs in a 5 square radius using the rckt launcher attack and withdraw technique, waited for all of my launchers to repair and regroup and lo and behold there's a new turret waiting for me, at the same spot, with full health and not a single concrete slab around it.
2. The constant degredation of all buildings even when placed on slabs while the AI's are always at full health.

MrFlibble 07-04-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered457893 (Post 441311)
I had 2 problems with Dune2:
1. The complete empowerment of the AI to compensate for its stupidity.
e.g. I destroyed a rocket turret and all concrete slabs in a 5 square radius using the rckt launcher attack and withdraw technique, waited for all of my launchers to repair and regroup and lo and behold there's a new turret waiting for me, at the same spot, with full health and not a single concrete slab around it.

The AI doesn't need concrete to rebuild its structures. Same thing in Command & Conquer, the AI here does not need a structure to be adjacent to another friendly structure to be rebuilt.

Honestly, if the AI didn't cheat, it would have been way too easy to beat, so why complain?

titisoru 26-06-2013 05:27 AM

Dune 2000 in Windowss 7

i love dune 2000 but in win7 i don't have sound...what can i do ?

MOPO030B 07-07-2013 09:24 AM

This is a dune 2000 clan, they are very friendly and nice people and they provide support for Dune 2000 Online, if you want to play it online go ahead and sign up on the forum!

http://akaclan.freeinvision.net/

Trust me it's worth it.

D2k Sardaukar 07-08-2013 10:02 PM

High Resolution

Me and N.Kindt at dune2k.com forums have made a high resolution patch. You can download it here:

http://d2kplus.com/hires.php

It has been reported that this fixes the split screen problem.

!!! Make sure you patch the game to version 1.06 first and use a 'fixed' .dat file like
this one: http://d2kplus.com/subhousesfix.php !!!

Please feel free to post questions/comments on the forums at: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-...gh-resolution/

BloodlustSweden 12-09-2013 08:18 PM

ERMAHGEWD! I found my old CD of this game a while back while going through some of my old stuff, and was really disappointed when i couldn't get it to install. This version seems to work flawlessly though! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BloodlustSweden 12-09-2013 08:48 PM

I can't get any of the patches (US/Can or UK. Which is this version btw?) to work, so i'm stuck at 1.02 instead of 1.06. It's not a big deal thankfully though, but does anyone have a "fix" for this?

D2k Sardaukar 30-01-2014 06:54 PM

I have a 7,4MB .7z file containing files to make the Abandonia Dune 2000 game:

- Patched to version 1.06;
- No-CD and Sub Houses Fix Patch;
- Mission Select Mod (with fixed test missions);
- 1024x768 resolution installed, with High Resolution Patch in Dune 2000
folder it is possible to change resolution!

But!, I can't upload it. Would Abandonia be willing to host it or?

I can also make it tiny bit smaller in size, by not pre-patching it to 1024x768.

Mystvan 24-03-2019 03:36 PM

If we compare the OST of Dune 2000 with its predecessor Dune II, we can notice certain similarities with some musics. Unfortunately, this time, Frank Klepacki’s compositions are not as memorable as his previous ones... :no:

The current time is 03:27 AM (GMT)