Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stars! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=23787)

TotalAnarchy 20-02-2010 06:10 PM

Stars!

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Luchsen 20-02-2010 09:48 PM

Wow, that's probably the "most awaited" game. There was talk about getting it on site all the years. That's no statement about EoF's pace or reliability, though. :laugh:

atom79 21-02-2010 10:52 AM

how i run it on windows 7? :rocks:

thanxs ! ( DOS-box is not compatible )

Luchsen 21-02-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Stars! does not run on the 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, which cannot run 16-bit software. However, it can be played on a virtual machine like Virtual Windows XP on Windows 7 [1], or in VirtualPC on earlier 64 bit versions of windows.

If you have the 32-bit W7, you should be able to simply execute it and play away. :)

Tomekk 21-02-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 397385)
If you have the 32-bit W7, you should be able to simply execute it and play away. :)

I have 64bit Win7 and it doesn't work with any compability mode :(

atom79 21-02-2010 01:15 PM

for virtualpc it needs Windows 7 pro :wall:

there are other ways ? :doh:

TotalAnarchy 21-02-2010 02:23 PM

Did you people read the readme?

Luchsen 21-02-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atom79 (Post 397397)

there are other ways ? :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Virtual Windows XP on Windows 7

Eagle of Fire 21-02-2010 04:59 PM

At last! :p

I'd like to point out that I left a lot of details by purpose in my review. I didn't want to write an essay of 10 pages, so I left it simple...

If someone have any question about how to play the game, I'll be happy to answer to the best of my abilities. :)

Quote:

I have 64bit Win7 and it doesn't work with any compability mode
I am afraid that this is not a problem with the game itself, but more a problem with Micro$oft deciding to retire compatibility with old systems... Every 64 bits systems which got out recently are not compatible with 16 bit programs, such as old DOS games and... Any program made for Win 3.11.

To be able to play STARS! in such a situation, you need to use either:
  • DOSBox along with a copy of Win 3.11 (you can find a pre-made DOSBox/Win3.11 version here (download DOSBoxStars.rar 4.92MB))
  • Realise that 64bits OSes are incompatible with old games, and are thus useless (:p)
  • Use en emulator other than DOSBox to be able to get the compatibility you need via another system (anything up to XP works way past fine).
  • Partition your HD with another kind of OS simply to play old games.

This game doesn't require an entry in the registery to work, but will try to write a configuration file in the default Windows directory. This was standard procedure in Win3.11. If your OS forbid STARS! from writing a file in your Windows standard directory then the game will still work but with default settings, and you will need to enter your serial key every single time.

-EoF

Gordon Overkill 23-02-2010 09:15 AM

Wow, just downloaded the game and it still looks quite complicated to me! Since I'm a big fan of 4x strategy (but till now rather the "easy" games like MOO) I guess I will dedicate some time to stars! and see how much fun it has to offer!

Greetings from Germany and (once again) thanks for the upload,
Gordon

dosraider 23-02-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atom79 (Post 397397)

FALSE.

VPC2007 works fine in ALL Win7.
But you will have to install an (older game compatible) OS in an empty VPC yourself, same as under XP and Vista.

Unregistered12345 27-02-2010 01:43 PM

Trying to play this with Windows XP.

I get:

Cannot find file ~\Stars!\stars26i.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

DOSBox tells me that I need to run it under Windows :)

dosraider 27-02-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered12345 (Post 398211)
I get:

Cannot find file ~\Stars!\stars26i.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

Well, Check to ensure your path and filenames are correct and that all required libraries are available.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered12345 (Post 398211)
DOSBox tells me that I need to run it under Windows :)

Dosbox , not windowsbox, and as the game is a windowsgame you will have to install Win3 in dosbox to be able to play this one under dosbox. FYI: works fine.

If that all is too much trouble for you look @ pag 1: EoF has given all you need there, even a link towards the pre-made DOSBox/Win3.11 version to the installed game in dosbox-win3.
:)

[Nitpicking]
Though I have my doubts if that link is fully koosjer, as Win3 is included in the download ..... ah well, doesn't matter I guess.
[/Nitpicking]

Eagle of Fire 28-02-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Trying to play this with Windows XP.

I get:

DOSBox tells me that I need to run it under Windows
I got this once or twice at work when I had to fine tune my turns.

I am pretty sure it is because you unpacked the game in a subdirectory which is too long for the antique Windows 3.11 coding to handle. Try shortening the directory name or, better yet, unpack the game directly on your root directory. Like "C:\STARS!" or "C:\GAMES\STARS!", for example.

Furthermore, it is possible to set associations for your .M# files. Simply double click on it and select the option to manually associate this file type with the right program. Browse your HD for the stars26i.exe file and select it. The next time you double click on your .M# file, STARS! will automatically open it along with the program.

You will need to do the association for every number of the .M# files, but the second time you will be able to select STARS! from the list of existing programs.

Unregistered12345 28-02-2010 12:17 PM

I followed dosraider's advice and successfully launched the game. But after playing through the tutorial I am struck down by disorder. It prompts me to enter the serial code. I have tried all the codes from the download at Abandonia but none of them worked.

Thanks

Unregistered12345 28-02-2010 06:57 PM

Unregistered

Turns out that I could have just run the game on XP natively with 95 compatibility mode xD. So far the code I entered seems to have worked...

Eagle of Fire 28-02-2010 11:55 PM

The codes provided in the arvhive will only work with the 26i version of the game. If you managed to find another version, like the 26j version which is the lattest version in use, it simply won't work since the serials provided in the archive are banned serials which were leaked in the 26i version era.

As for STARS!, it works like a charm on a native XP installation. There is no reason it would not, unless you use a cracked 64bits version like it was discussed earlier in this thread.

F1ange 01-03-2010 04:47 AM

Stars!

Greetings,

I was an avid stars player for many years. I was even involved in the Golden age of Stars where the Blitz group tested some of the most devastating race designs. The base standard for a powerful race became 25k production by turn 50, before that became the vogue thing 5-10k production by that point was considered rather slick.

To Clarify the game types and I'm not being pedantic.

Solo - against the AI's is fun and a great way to test out races and race traits.

pbem - the standard version was as a turn based game played every day or 3 times a week if you wanted to have a life, once a game gets going with 16 playsers you can end up spending a few hours on a turn and emails.

Lan, or 1comp based. you and some friends sit around and play for and evening or a weeekend.

Blitz
Blitz games were commonly played on the IRC we had the starsbot set to roll the turns every 5 min and you either had your turn in or you missed it. The games lasted 6-12+ hours and we usually had at least 6 players.

2 player games were done but in the blitz environment race design was the key. If you could build your fleet before the other guy and hit his planet you had the game. More players added the volitility, if you sent your fleet to kill player x then player m could stomp on you while you were killing player x and thus game over. a fleet with no colonists means a slow sad death.

The thing about Stars! is that you need to manage your growth, colonization, technology and production power all at the same time while making sure you don't get outdone by any of your neighbors. Each race has many games of surprises in it.

Stars! is an incredibly complex and graceful game. In many respects it all comes down to race design. If you are going to try stars I think you may wish to do some research on race design, I think there may even be some races available for download.

It really should work just fine on xp as I've run it on xp off a stick numerous times.

this site also still hosts Stars! games, http://starsautohost.org/

TurinX 08-03-2010 07:50 PM

You know it's gotta be good if it's got an exclamation point in the title!:rocks:

jfritzyb 08-10-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 397420)
I am afraid that this is not a problem with the game itself, but more a problem with Micro$oft deciding to retire compatibility with old systems... Every 64 bits systems which got out recently are not compatible with 16 bit programs, such as old DOS games and... Any program made for Win 3.11.

To be able to play STARS! in such a situation, you need to use either:
  • DOSBox along with a copy of Win 3.11 (you can find a pre-made DOSBox/Win3.11 version here (download DOSBoxStars.rar 4.92MB))
  • Realise that 64bits OSes are incompatible with old games, and are thus useless (:p)
  • Use en emulator other than DOSBox to be able to get the compatibility you need via another system (anything up to XP works way past fine).
  • Partition your HD with another kind of OS simply to play old games.

Ok, I downloaded Dosboxstars.rar; now what?

dosraider 08-10-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfritzyb (Post 415033)
Ok, I downloaded Dosboxstars.rar; now what?

http://www.7-zip.org/ ? Yes?

jfritzyb 09-10-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 415035)

Yep...everything is unpacked and in a folder.

dosraider 09-10-2010 06:26 AM

Included readme:
Quote:

Readme file for DOSBox Stars by Gible

This requires DOSBox to work. Get it here: http://www.dosbox.com/

After installing DOSBox edit the (end of) dosbox.conf supplied to correct the path in the line "mount c c:\dosboxc"

To run Stars! in DOSBox, either:
1) (recommended) associate .conf files with DOSBox (with XP I just run(double-click)the .conf file supplied and choose the dosbox.exe from the application/file selector)
or 2) create a shortcut with the following command: "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\DOSBoxC\dosbox.conf"

Stars! command-line options are defined near the end of dosbox.conf (under [AUTOEXEC.BAT]). AFAIK there is no way to pass commandline options from your system(VISTA or whatever) through dosbox (and wfw311) to Stars so they must be added in dosbox.conf. If you want to setup short cuts to multiple games, make multiple copies of dosbox.conf (game1.conf, game2.conf etc)
After installing DOSBox edit the (end of) dosbox.conf supplied to correct the path in the line "mount c c:\dosboxc"

Replace c:\dosboxc by the correct path/folder where you have your stuff.

If you're on Vista/Win7 read the tutorials.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=90

jfritzyb 09-10-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 415052)
Included readme:

Replace c:\dosboxc by the correct path/folder where you have your stuff.

If you're on Vista/Win7 read the tutorials.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=90

K; it all worked out fine and game works. However, shortcut thingie doesn't seem to work. I am probably not doing something right though.

dosraider 09-10-2010 08:23 AM

Glad to hear it works, it's a nice game, enjoy.

Shortcut trick works if you fill in the correct paths and don't make tipooz.
Notice:
Latest release is dosbox 0.74, not 0.72
If you're on a 64 bit OS dosbox will be in 'program files (x86)', adapt accordingly.
Easiest is to use the 'search target' option when creating the shortcut.

But of course you don't really need that shortcut trick, a couple of clicks extra to launch the game won't hurt ya.

Eagle of Fire 31-01-2011 05:40 PM

Well, a little late but I am here nonetheless.

You simply need to follow the instructions in the readme of that archive.

If it doesn't work, you'll need to figure out how to mount drives with DOSbox. We'll be happy to help you in Troubleshooting if you need help.

BTW, the STARS! Wiki site has moved since I made this review. You can now find it here.

Oskatat 07-10-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered12345 (Post 398289)
I followed dosraider's advice and successfully launched the game. But after playing through the tutorial I am struck down by disorder. It prompts me to enter the serial code. I have tried all the codes from the download at Abandonia but none of them worked.

Thanks

Sometimes when playing with a costum race, or for some other reason, an earlier game may demand a password. In the game, open the file (game name).hst
This opens host options where you can set the password. Its usually something you set before anyway. This is not the same as the serial code, its a way to make sure noone can steal your race designs etc

As an edit, really read that wiki page, or those pages
this game is from a time when they had to make a game interesting in some other way than graphics and easy interface. With the wrong specs you'll have your back against the wall in no-time

And even on easy the AI expands fast, real fast, AND into your "territory" too

well, lets add some more
When you choose a major characteristic, think of this: Jack of all trades gives you big, big penetrating scanners. "no advanced scanners is no big deal
Inner strength... Transports in orbit will HELP your colony grow. A galleon minelayer with some defences is deadly to AI AND helps to build your colony
Build minelayers, lots of them
Beam Weapons are better than Missile in the beginning
Missiles rule as soon as you get better computers and the ships with the elect to hold em
Matter Packets hurt, get a defender with some transport capacity on all border planets. better, get 10
Matter packets HURT, send them to anyone you suspect of not being able to catch em. they get 1/3rd of the matter and suffer a big bomb. Unless you picked the major trait related to this, since your packets may terraform planets
Again, more minefields. 3 minelayers a place is better than one time 3

most things i picked are also on the wiki/help pages for this game, but i thought i make it shorter

Eagle of Fire 20-10-2011 06:19 PM

Then do not miss out about the main community of this game, on AutoHost. ;)

georgewmanley@comcast.net 22-02-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy (Post 397257)
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

I've lost my pass code for Stars! I have the CD and label sleve from the case, but the pass code has long since fallen out of the game organizer pouch. Is there anything that can be done?

Eagle of Fire 23-02-2012 03:15 AM

Unfortunately no. Your code is likely gone forever... But you can always get a new code at autohost if you pay a small donation to keep the site running. Just make sure you are using the latest version of STARS!, I'm not entirely sure those codes can work for every version (but you can get the latest version anywhere for free anyways).

Here is the relevant link. You might need to subscribe to the forum to see it.

Unregistered236 08-03-2012 03:05 AM

Great game. I've been playing it for almost 10 yrs on and off on just my local network. I'm running 26J and I have a couple of codes to share. I hope I'm not offending anyone. I think its safe to say the game is abandonware at this point. Be warned - although these codes allow me to start the game with 2 human players, I think the cheat protection kicks in at some point and I start experiencing "random" occurrences. Like whole worlds being reduced to about 5% of their population!! I just mark it up to the plague and continue on :)

[Code snip]

Please don't post codes for this game it seems the codes are still for sale. (or at least you donate some money to get them)

Eagle of Fire 08-03-2012 05:45 AM

Hi. Nice to see someone who play STARS! too. :)

The reason why you have those "random occurrences" is indeed because of the cheat protection. It is actually called "the Emperor Bug" and is triggered by the fact that you produce those two players turns on the same computer. STARS! is able to make the difference between two different computers and if it realize that two players have the same "signature" then the Emperor Bug is triggered.

This is of course to prevent a single player controlling several races in the same (multiplayer) game. ;)

DarthHelmet86 08-03-2012 10:55 AM

EoF can you explain to me a bit about these code things, what do they do in the game? And who is "selling" them? I just want to clear this up so I fully understand what is going on with this game.

Eagle of Fire 08-03-2012 06:12 PM

Check your inbox. :)

Eagle of Fire 30-10-2012 02:33 AM

Guh... I'm shocked. I was browsing the site and I just realized that STARS! is listed under "Action"?!?!?

It is a 4X, hardcore strategy game for Christ sake! What's wrong with this site? :unsure:

The Fifth Horseman 30-10-2012 08:56 AM

We've seen an occasional glitch where a game changes to the wrong category for no apparent reason.

Eagle of Fire 30-10-2012 03:01 PM

This is quite the bug... Any news on if it's going to get fixed?

The Fifth Horseman 30-10-2012 04:40 PM

Right now we haven't seen enough incidents to confirm this is a bug rather than an unnoticed operator error (read: someone could have misclicked into the field when editing the game entry)

Eagle of Fire 06-05-2013 06:54 AM

A STARS! player pointed me to the fact that many links in the readme.txt file included in our archive of this game to be broken. In fact, most of them are either now completely outdated or have been broken somehow when the file have been saved.

Here is the original copy of Readme.txt:
Quote:

Important: With Stars! being a very old commercial game, you will need to find and use serial codes to be able to use the full functionality of the game. Included in the stars26i.rar archive you will find a text file named code.txt listing 16 serial codes compatible with this version of Stars!. You will then be able to, using those serial numbers, host and play games with your friends.

Please note that version 26i is not the latest version of Stars!. The latest version is 26JRC4 or 27JRC4. While it is possible for you to download the available patches to upgrade to the latest version, please note again that the serial codes provided in the text file are codes which were leaked on the internet and thus blacklisted in the J patch and up. Those codes are provided to you solely to be used with the matching stars26i.rar archive.

It is possible for you to visit http://starsautohost.org/sahforum and ask that a new serial number be generated for you, for a minimal donation fee.

http://starsautohost.org/sahforum/in...30dd#msg_num_2

If you wish to join the AutoHost site and take part in the games hosted with their automated host then you will require a valid and unique JRC4 serial number.

More information about different versions and patches for Stars! can be found here:

http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/Patches_and_versions

-=-

Because Stars! was designed to run on Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, you may experience problems running version 2.7 on later Windows versions. In particular, version 2.7 requires wavemix.dll, which is no longer supplied with Windows. To install it, simply copy it into your [c:\windows] directory (or wherever you installed Windows.)

You will find wavemix.rar supplied in this archive.

-=-

For those who will want to play and host a game without having access to the internet and the Wiki, you will find a text file named "How_to_Host_a_Game_v2.0_by_Omonubi.txt" in the archive. While it is an old version, most/all of the relevant parts for hosting games are still accurate today.

-=-

Here are some very useful links which will help you play, learn, and perfect your Stars! skills:

Stars! AutoHost forum. Forum of the very popular AutoHost tool, still used today to automatically host and manage Stars! games. A lot of old veteran and elite players still visit this forum. A great place to read old posts and ask specific questions to old players.
http://starsautohost.org/sahforum

Stars! Wiki. The best place to look for information about Stars!. Compiled by Gible, this site is a carbon copy of several sources compiled in one place for your browsing pleasure.
http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/Main_Page

Here is a quick list of links on the Wiki to get you started, compiled again by Gible:
http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/Stars!_FAQ
http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/Abbreviations
http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/Fled...ist_-_Mar_2007
http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/%22R..._199 7_v2.6/7
http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/Mong..._February_2000
http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/How_...h_January_1999

Here is a final link which could greatly spoil a specific part of the game if you wish to learn everything by yourself. It is, however, something that you should know if you wish to play competitive games against other human opponents. (Spoiler Alert) http://wiki.gible.net/index.php/Mystery_Trader (Spoiler Alert)
Here is a new version which should replace or update the file in question:
Code:

Important: With Stars! being a very old commercial game, you will need to find and use serial codes to be able to use the full functionality of the game. Included in the stars26i.rar archive you will find a text file named code.txt listing 16 serial codes compatible with this version of Stars!. You will then be able to, using those serial numbers, host and play games with your friends.

Please note that version 26i is not the latest version of Stars!. The latest version is 26JRC4 or 27JRC4. While it is possible for you to download the available patches to upgrade to the latest version, please note again that the serial codes provided in the text file are codes which were leaked on the internet and thus blacklisted in the J patch and up. Those codes are provided to you solely to be used with the matching stars26i.rar archive.

It is possible for you to visit http://starsautohost.org/sahforum2/ and ask that a new serial number be generated for you, for a minimal donation fee.

==> http://starsautohost.org/sahforum2/index.php?t=msg&th=1158&start=0&rid=1264

If you wish to join the AutoHost site and take part in the games hosted with their automated host then you will require a valid and unique JRC4 serial number.

More information about different versions and patches for Stars! can be found here:

http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Patches_and_versions

-=-

Because Stars! was designed to run on Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, you may experience problems running version 2.7 on later Windows versions. In particular, version 2.7 requires wavemix.dll, which is no longer supplied with Windows. To install it, simply copy it into your [c:\windows] directory (or wherever you installed Windows.)

You will find wavemix.rar supplied in this archive.

-=-

For those who will want to play and host a game without having access to the internet and the Wiki, you will find a text file named "How_to_Host_a_Game_v2.0_by_Omonubi.txt" in the archive. While it is an old version, most/all of the relevant parts for hosting games are still accurate today.

-=-

Here are some very useful links which will help you play, learn, and perfect your Stars! skills:

Stars! AutoHost forum. Forum of the very popular AutoHost tool, still used today to automatically host and manage Stars! games. A lot of old veteran and elite players still visit this forum. A great place to read old posts and ask specific questions to old players.
http://starsautohost.org/sahforum2/

Stars! Wiki. The best place to look for information about Stars!. Compiled by Gible, this site is a carbon copy of several sources compiled in one place for your browsing pleasure.
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Main_Page

Here is a quick list of links on the Wiki to get you started, compiled again by Gible:
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Stars!_FAQ
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Abbreviations
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Fledging_Admirals_Hints_%26_Tips_by_Altruist_-_Mar_2007
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/%22Remote_Mining%22_by_Jason_Cawley_1997_v2.6/7
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Mongols_-_sample_easy_start_WM_HG_by_Jason_Cawley_-_7th_February_2000
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/How_to_Get_Over_25,000_Resources_by_2450_by_Jason_Cawley_-_16th_January_1999

Here is a final link which could greatly spoil a specific part of the game if you wish to learn everything by yourself. It is, however, something that you should know if you wish to play competitive games against other human opponents. (Spoiler Alert) http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Mystery_Trader (Spoiler Alert)

Hopefully using the code command won't break up the long links again this time.

-EoF

Japo 07-05-2013 06:09 PM

I need clarification--please give me the short story. :p Where did that readme come from? Is it fan-made and not part of the original game, as it looks to me on first sight? If so, I think it should be removed from the archive, and the new one can be added as an extra--which would also make it easier to replace if that's ever again necessary.

Eagle of Fire 08-05-2013 04:48 AM

I'm the reviewer of this game. This readme has been created by me when I completed the review to be included and be part of the archive to explain to people how to use the game.

This is not your run of the mill game with which you simply fire up the exe and begin playing... Newcomers need a minimum of info to be able to enjoy it.

I don't think adding it as an extra is a good idea. I for one would not care about extras about any game and my goal was/is so the downloaders can have a minimum to start with.

Japo 08-05-2013 05:55 PM

Thanks, I think I now understand the status of the game and the readme. We'll decide among the updaters.

Even considering not only the rules but the practical considerations, I think the readme doesn't belong on the archive. We have many extras that are indispensable to play their games, from copy protection codes to registry fixes. And as little attention as it can get in the extras section, I think it's much less noticeable buried into the game files. At any rate we can upgrade the current mention in the review into on a "how to run the game" section.

Eagle of Fire 09-05-2013 05:08 AM

Frankly, knowing how this game work, what you suggest is completely unneeded and would be useless. The archive and the game itself would be pretty much useless too to any casual downloader who simply wish to try to play the game to try it out.

There is plenty of other sites on the net which are dedicated to this game and the links provided point to the best of them. Adding a new section on Abandonia would be completely redundant. How would you suggest we try to compete with a Wiki? :p

Japo 09-05-2013 09:46 AM

I don't mean a whole webpage, but a paragraph below the review under the header

http://www.abandonia.com/files/games...andonia_18.png

It's just a way of drawing more attention than the current mention, which is basically the same. If people miss this explanation, it won't help if the readme is inside the archive (on the contrary IMO), they won't see it.

Eagle of Fire 10-05-2013 04:47 AM

Well, I don't agree. I in fact completely disagree even. This game is for the extremely serious kind of strategy gamer. I'd say there is way more chance that they actually bother to read the file than the opposite.

Beside, there is already a mention of the readme in my review. Someone who would care enough to read the whole review would know about it.

But you know, that how to run the game thing you just mentioned? Added to the current archive and review I think it would be great too.

Japo 10-05-2013 10:54 AM

We've decided to add it to the archive and another copy as an extra, I think that'll be agreeable?

I've seen several people who bothered to ask on the forums, only to be told that the information was in the review that they never read, under a big "how to run the game" sign. :p

Eagle of Fire 13-05-2013 07:28 AM

Sure. All I really want is to have the readme in the archive. Anything else is extra visibility.

Japo 13-06-2013 11:36 PM

The readme is replaced, and added as an extra as well.

Eagle of Fire 13-06-2013 11:57 PM

Great, thank you. :OK:

Red River 01-10-2014 12:30 AM

would be awesome if this was ported to android!

PinheadMaren 10-08-2019 01:03 AM

I'm very lost, and very confused

This thread seems to have been inactive for a while, but hopefully someone sees this. I found a old disk of Stars! when I was moving, I looked into it a bit, and was like "I want to play this". The game is a bit before my time, but my dad loved it. Anyways, I'm not the worst with computers by any means, but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to getting this game to run. I tried downloading the version of DOSbox linked on the forum, but the link has been dead for a while apparently. I then just tried to throw the link into the wayback machine and prayed that the files might be archived, sadly that was not the case. I've tried a couple different things to see if I could find a way to run this game, but I haven't figured out a way to get it to run. ( My operating system is windows 10, and microsoft ditched legacy support).
If anyone sees this, and can help me understand what I'm even supposed to be doing, I would be grateful.

Thanks a Bunch!

Smiling Spectre 10-08-2019 12:05 PM

Basically, you need DOSBox, and that's all. Official version from the official site usually enough for everyone.

If you are lucky (75-80% of games), using DOSBox is easy.

1. Make link to DOSBOX.EXE at the desktop.
2. Pull main game exe (stars.exe, probably?) over this created dosbox icon.

If you did everything right, it will open DOSBox, mount game dir as C and start .exe in question, essentially running the game for you.

Otherwise, ask here again, preferrably with description what went wrong. :)
Hmm, but all Stars! versions I can found are Win 3.x. In that case it's much worse. You need Win 3.1 DOSBox set. Check it here: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770. It's not complete though, so you can have some sound problems. Unfortunately, I cannot offer anything better now.

The current time is 02:11 AM (GMT)