Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Alone In The Dark 2 (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=11697)

ReamusLQ 04-09-2006 03:11 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

paulypoos 04-09-2006 03:33 PM

As a younger person I was a bit scared of these games, quite funny when you consider the horrors in modern console games! but the monsters etc did seem to come out of nowhere. I used to have the boxed set of the original 3 Alone in the dark games which game in a glow in the dark slip case box but sold it like the idiot I am when I sold my first PC, luckily I got another one (still sealed) on EBAY about a year ago. A word of warning to you young folks, one thing Ive always regretted is getting rid of my old systems and especially games, it usually happens when you need money for a newer system/latest console, you get bugger all for them, especially in part exchange so take my advice and stick them in the loft, you wont regret it. Im sure many folks who come to this site are of the same opinion.....

Anyway, another classic game for the ABANDONIA library, great fun as well.....

DDTY 04-09-2006 03:50 PM

First Post, :)

Hum... im gonna download it, when i played a little i will edit this post... :D

Edit: Not bad, its very hard, but its cool

Dino 04-09-2006 04:03 PM

Great sequel to a great game, true classic! Very valuable addition! :ok:

Dave 04-09-2006 04:12 PM

How can I get past the protection? Running the aitd2crk file didn't help me, what should I do?

Lonewolf1044 04-09-2006 04:16 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulypoos @ Sep 4 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]252726[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

As a younger person I was a bit scared of these games, quite funny when you consider the horrors in modern console games! but the monsters etc did seem to come out of nowhere. I used to have the boxed set of the original 3 Alone in the dark games which game in a glow in the dark slip case box but sold it like the idiot I am when I sold my first PC, luckily I got another one (still sealed) on EBAY about a year ago. A word of warning to you young folks, one thing Ive always regretted is getting rid of my old systems and especially games, it usually happens when you need money for a newer system/latest console, you get bugger all for them, especially in part exchange so take my advice and stick them in the loft, you wont regret it. Im sure many folks who come to this site are of the same opinion.....

Anyway, another classic game for the ABANDONIA library, great fun as well.....
[/b]
Yeah you right about that. I wish i had kept one so that I can run it in native dos. I do however still have all the DOS disks from 5.0 to 6.2. and windows 3.0 to 3.11.

Guest 04-09-2006 04:54 PM

I agree with about keeping the systems, I have 2, 286's, 1 386, and 4 386 and am keeping all of them and not selling for ANY Reason.

Thank You

Adamg 04-09-2006 06:57 PM

Yeah, no doubt. I'd go so far as to keep all of my games. I used to keep all of the boxes when I was a kid, but I had bags and bags of them! I actually ended up burning them. :/ I kept the games, but they were on floppy disks and most of them degraded too much to be usable.

As for Alone In The Dark 2, I never got to play it much. I found it somewhere else online a year ago and played it a little. I think the reason I gave up was because the controls were horrible and it was rather cheesy. Back then though, you didn't complain about these things. Everybody was just used to stuff like that.

raulfv 04-09-2006 07:36 PM

i used to love this game!!!! Poor Striker getting killed in the Intro. Get the CD Version for better sound and music. I never tried the PS1 version tough. Check also for Free in the dark.

Guest 04-09-2006 08:15 PM

I loved AITD1, but I didn't like AITD2. Much more action oriented than the 1st episode, poor gameplay (targeting was pretty hard), less inspired game. I also prefered the lovecraftian influence of the first game. i didn't play AITD2 that much however, so maybe I missed something.

Quote:

A word of warning to you young folks, one thing Ive always regretted is getting rid of my old systems and especially games, it usually happens when you need money for a newer system/latest console, you get bugger all for them, especially in part exchange so take my advice and stick them in the loft, you wont regret it. Im sure many folks who come to this site are of the same opinion.....[/b]
Yes, you're right... I still miss my Supergraph'X.... sob :'(

Guest 04-09-2006 09:26 PM

"Somehow the second game in a trilogy always seems to be the worst of the three, unfortunately, and that is no exception here."

Except for the Star Control series =). Of course 1 was rather flat. And 3? What 3.

Adamg 05-09-2006 02:46 AM

What is that protection stuff all over the screens about? Copy protection?

gregor 05-09-2006 08:39 AM

AITD 1 is protected and no go, and 2 is go? WTF??!?!

Dave 05-09-2006 09:57 AM

Okay, so, anyone with any pointers on how to use the crack file? Because you keep dying when you go behind the statue if you don't go past the protection.

DDTY 05-09-2006 10:04 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 5 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]252869[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Okay, so, anyone with any pointers on how to use the crack file? Because you keep dying when you go behind the statue if you don't go past the protection.
[/b]
Me too, :(

mario1245 05-09-2006 05:33 PM

How come you can download the 2nd game but the 1st one is protected? :blink:

Adamg 05-09-2006 08:42 PM

I happen to have a copy of AITD2 from another source then this. I don't recall any crack file or problems with a statue. I could dig it up if someone in charge needed it. :)

Fawfulhasfury 06-09-2006 01:51 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mario1245 @ Sep 5 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]252951[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
AITD2 is not sold, and ESA has not renewed its protection on 2. 3 is sold, and 1 is still protected by the ESA. Don't ask me why, its just that way.

Starkki 06-09-2006 07:45 AM

Has anyone played this long enough to see if this game is corrupted as are several others in the web?
One I got from CGN crashed when entering one room in the mansion a few minutes after the little cook.
This game is great fun and I hope, that it can be played through.

Guest_toxee_* 06-09-2006 12:53 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fawfulhasfury @ Sep 6 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]253023[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mario1245 @ Sep 5 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]252951[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
AITD2 is not sold, and ESA has not renewed its protection on 2. 3 is sold, and 1 is still protected by the ESA. Don't ask me why, its just that way.
[/b][/quote]I see, I was also wondering what the deal was. Isn't Interplay gone now anyway or are they still present in some form? If they are I demand my Kingpin 2! :angry:

Oh and the above poster makes a good point. I hope this version is some fully functional version. There's two corrupt versions out there. One makes the game crash when you get to the room with the weird mask and another crashes at the end when you try to go up the ladder with the little girl. I have to latter of the two and have yet to beat this game. :unsure:

Dave 06-09-2006 05:27 PM

Okay, so has any of you been able to crack the game and GET PAST THE DAMN STATUE? If so, would you please tell me what I'd missed?

Adamg 06-09-2006 07:42 PM

How far into the game is the statue?

TheChosen 07-09-2006 05:28 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fawfulhasfury @ Sep 6 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]253023[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mario1245 @ Sep 5 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]252951[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Maybe they tought that 2 wasn't as good as 1 or 3 (not to mention 4).

Guest_Key_* 07-09-2006 07:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 4 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]252786[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

"Somehow the second game in a trilogy always seems to be the worst of the three, unfortunately, and that is no exception here."

Except for the Star Control series =). Of course 1 was rather flat. And 3? What 3.
[/b]
and Realms of Arkania - they were all good, but the second is the best

Guest 07-09-2006 07:56 AM

Hi there!
I can not agree with the review saying that the music is almost not there. You guys obviously played the Floppy Disc version, as the CD Version comes with a whole CD full of orchestral music which has been the best and best fitting music I knew in that days.
Shall I provide an iso? Or would that be too big to download?

Guest 08-09-2006 12:40 AM

Uncracking alone in the dark 2 in winXP:

First of all, users must create a ".bat" file with the following lines:

aitd2crk

aitd2

@echo off

(i suggest naming it run.bat)
After that just simply run this run.bat file with the VDMS program and the game will work all right.

Guest 08-09-2006 12:41 AM

Brazilian greetings u guys... just love aitd2 and i got pretty happy when i was able to uncraking it.

ReaperTK 08-09-2006 01:43 AM

I can't get this to play with any music. Winstall.exe won't let me choose any music device and install.exe is all gibberish. I tried running install.exe under dosbox and I get all sorts of errors at the bottom of the screen. I just extracted the game, ran aitd2.exe with vdmsound, and I get no music, same as if I run it under dosbox. Any help wound be appreciated.

The Fifth Horseman 08-09-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Shall I provide an iso? Or would that be too big to download?[/b]
If it wasn't too big, it would already be on the site.

Guest 08-09-2006 01:38 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ReaperTK @ Sep 8 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]253581[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I can't get this to play with any music. Winstall.exe won't let me choose any music device and install.exe is all gibberish. I tried running install.exe under dosbox and I get all sorts of errors at the bottom of the screen. I just extracted the game, ran aitd2.exe with vdmsound, and I get no music, same as if I run it under dosbox. Any help wound be appreciated.
[/b]
There's a patch for the WINSTALL file here: http://www.justadventure.com/thejave/html/...mesA/AloneDark/, it should fix the problem of not being able to select a music device.

ReaperTK 08-09-2006 06:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 8 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]253685[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ReaperTK @ Sep 8 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]253581[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
There's a patch for the WINSTALL file here: http://www.justadventure.com/thejave/html/...mesA/AloneDark/, it should fix the problem of not being able to select a music device.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

Dave 10-09-2006 09:19 AM

Damn! It freezes at a fix spot, when you walk into a room with an African mask on its wall on the 2nd floor inside the manor. :( :(

Guest 11-09-2006 12:42 PM

Hi again guys... this is Felipe, from Brazil.

So, the game freezes in the African room? No problem, download this:

http://serveurdarklone.free.fr/Fichi...ck%20AITD2.zip

Just simply replace all files in the game´s directory with that ones in the .zip file.

NOTE: When u guys reach the pirates room (where they´re sleeping) save often! Cause depending what actions or moves that you do, the game freezes. Its still possible to finish the game without go to any corner in this room from the door next to the ladder.

TIP: To put the barrel on their room, use the door in front of the cannon room´s door (not the one next to the ladder). This hint will save you from a bug and help ya to save the day, on AITD2, of course!

Guest 12-09-2006 06:04 AM

what is VDMS program mentioned earlier by a guest?

The Fifth Horseman 12-09-2006 03:02 PM

VDMSound, a compatibility program that helps in running old games on Windows XP. You can download a copy from Abandonia's "Programs" page.

Guest 13-09-2006 01:57 PM

"AITD2 is not sold, and ESA has not renewed its protection on 2. 3 is sold, and 1 is still protected by the ESA."

For how long is a game protected by ESA? Forever? Seems strange how the older games is protected yet the new is not.

The Fifth Horseman 13-09-2006 04:11 PM

The publisher company seems to matter alot.

_mzonas_ 16-09-2006 11:54 AM

hey, i have alone in the dark 1, and I have "Alone In The dark" movie!!! Movie is better than game... :D

Noodle-eating Poodle 17-09-2006 04:25 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDTY @ Sep 5 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]252870[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
There should've been an NFO file that came along with the crack; the copy protection removal involves pressing two keys at the same time, when the screen comes up. It is, apparently, a more annoying protection routine than most, either that or the cracking group was simply lazy.

But AITD2CRK does work, it's just a bit annoying. Read the NFO.

TheChosen 19-09-2006 08:55 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_mzonas_ @ Sep 16 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]255373[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

hey, i have alone in the dark 1, and I have "Alone In The dark" movie!!! Movie is better than game... :D
[/b]
I apologize for being rude, but you obviously dont have any taste.

I hope thats sarcasm.

Dino 19-09-2006 05:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_mzonas_ @ Sep 16 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]255373[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Well, movie is absolutely terrible. It got some Golden Raspberries if I'm not mistaken, and afterall it's Uwe Boll who directed it. That fact says enough for itself.

yeye_olive 11-10-2006 04:22 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDTY @ Sep 5 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]252870[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 5 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]252869[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
Me too, :(
[/b][/quote]
I wrote a quite detailed FAQ about this protection stuff. Basically you do not need any crack, but I explain how to get the correct codes. There are cards you can scissor and paste to get the codes, or more simply the list of all possible protection codes. Everything holds in a 277 Kb Zip archive. Unfortunately it is not online yet, so I guess some1 will have to post an email address for me to send it over.

The Fifth Horseman 12-10-2006 12:20 PM

You can put it up on www.rapidshare.de

Guest 21-10-2006 01:01 AM

It's not working. I used the bat file that was described above, but the program tells me I don't have enough EMM386 memory or something (The message is in french). How do I set memory for dos programs in windows XP? Thanks!

Guest 21-10-2006 01:06 AM

The message I get from aid2.exe (Run through the batch file) is: "Vous Devez installer un gestionnaire de me'moire EMS comme EMM386 ou QEMM". I ran it through a translator and it roughly translates to "You must install a manager of memory EMS like EMM386 or QEMM"

The Fifth Horseman 23-10-2006 03:02 PM

Use DosBox or VDMSound to run the game.

Guest 30-10-2006 01:36 AM

hey yeye_olive if you still have that file about getting around the protection thing send it over to Ishould_haveread@the.rules . Thanks bro

Man Bot 07-11-2006 01:34 PM

I cannot get past the protection, yes i read the previous post but i do not know how to make a bat file, it saids

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

some card then hole 5 whats that about ?

:titan: HELP. Great game though looks and plays just like ressie.

Man Bot 07-11-2006 09:25 PM

:brain:

I fixed the problem no posts needed how ???

:sneaky:

Read the last posts for the answer without the echo in a front end for Dos Box. Ha i finally got past that statue in the front mansion garden, now to go back to the game and enter the hall, is it black and white on the floor like Ressie 1 with Chris and Jill, yes i think this game was out on PS1.

Remeber in the front end forget the echo, :w00t:

moogle 23-11-2006 06:37 AM

Ah. AITD2. I used to have this (original copy, in all of its 10 or so floppy glory!) but parents threw it out :angry:

Don't you need the pack of cards in order to do it? I remember family used to play it some, but then stopped cause some of the cards got lost and they said they couldn't do some of the puzzles...

Edit : Can't figure out how to get it to work, lawl. Oh well.

Man Bot 30-11-2006 10:40 PM

:whistling:

First Download dos Box 63

Then get a front like mine D-Fend

Download Alone in the dark 2 install in a folder called Old Games

Then use the Front End to config the game first you put the game .exe
like aitd2.exe
then aitd2crk for set.up
Then confir the file to use ddraw for better graphics.

:monkey_dance:

Guest 02-12-2006 12:20 AM

Hello, I apologise in advance as I don't know if i'm quite doing the right thing, and also if the query has already been answered! I've downloaded AITD2 but I unzip the files and then try to load it - but it just closes down, how can i fix this? x

The Fifth Horseman 04-12-2006 11:10 AM

Use DosBox. Or VDMSound. Whichever works better on your system.
You can get them from our programs page.

You might want to check out the official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it. It is quite helpful for users unfamiliar with DosBox.

Guest 11-12-2006 03:32 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adam @ Sep 6 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]253229[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

How far into the game is the statue?
[/b]

It is still in the very beginning of the game. Iknow it coz I am also into that situation wherein some quote regarding 4 spades is above 8 of clubs thing.. what should I do??

methuselah 12-12-2006 05:23 PM

[font=Fixedsys][size=7]The copy protection codes for "Alone in the Dark 2" are based on a set of six cards, printed front and back, which dictate what keys (F1 through F10) must be pressed to unlock the copy protection. Each card has six or seven square holes. The first card of the copy protection code is placed over the second card. Count the holes from top to bottom, left to right. For the following example:

Four of Diamonds over King of Spades
Hole Number 6

the holes on the Four of Diamonds are located as follows:

Hole 1 Row 1, Column 5
Hole 2 Row 3, Column 4
Hole 3 Row 4, Column 3
Hole 4 Row 5, Column 1
Hole 5 Row 5, Column 6
Hole 6 Row 6, Column 4

When the Four of Diamonds is placed over the King of Spades, an Orange Diamond is seen through Hole Number 6. The card suit (Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs) and color correspond to keyboard inputs (keys F1 through F10). The key corresponding to the card suit is pressed first, then the key (or keys) corresponding to the color is pressed. The keys and corresponding values are as follows:

F1 Spades
F2 Hearts
F3 Diamonds
F4 Clubs

F5+F10 Red
F6 Yellow
F7 Green
F8 Blue
F9 Violet
F10 Orange
F11 ---
F12 ---

To unlock the copy protection code given above as an example, press F3 (Diamonds) and F10 (Orange).

The game's copy protection can be bypassed by using the crack provided with the download. The following batch file (AITD2.BAT) runs the crack, then runs the game's main executable file.

@ECHO OFF
AITD2CRK.COM
AITD2.EXE

To run the above batch file, you must first go to the folder (directory) containing the game files. The following batch file runs the game from the hard disk's root directory. I have stored the game files in the folder: C:\Program Files\AITD2. Change Line 2, if necessary, to target the folder where your game files are located.

@ECHO OFF
CD C:\PROGRA~1\AITD2
AITD2CRK.COM
AITD2.EXE

I prefer not using the game crack, because I have experienced problems with my video display when using it. Instead, I unlock the copy protection codes manually, using the procedure I have described. Also, I do not recommend using the game trainer that is available from some download sites. It is better to use a hex editor to boost health, ammo, etc.

A very good freeware hex editor is XVI32 Hex Editor by Christian Maas. Edit SAVE0.ITD, entering CA for the following hex addresses:

5E28 Thompson Ammo
5E38 Carnby's Health

These will give 255 of each item, making it much easier to get started in the game, which has been criticized for its high level of difficulty. Values for other inventory items can also be edited, including Grace's health points.

My English copy of the game freezes when Carnby enters the sorceress' bedroom. My French copy of the game freezes when Grace is at the top of the ladder and is about to go on the deck of the pirate ship. The same is true if I run the game under MS-DOS 6.22 or inside an MS-DOS window under Windows 98. Music is disabled in my English copy, but is active in my French copy. The game is much better with music.

I have made copies of the copy protection cards, which can be printed on a single sheet of paper. I will try to make them available on this website, or I can e-mail them to those who are interested.

Guest 12-12-2006 11:31 PM

can i have a copy
kindly send it to [BEEEP]@yahoo.com
thank you so much

Guest 15-12-2006 05:29 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 13 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]271428[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>
can i have a copy
kindly send it to [BEEEP]@yahoo.com
thanks

Snake_Plissken 17-12-2006 01:37 AM

Aahh the memories... nostalgia... all for a game :) Brilliant game. Only that part with a girl is a fable-like, but I liked it back in '96 or 97.

The Fifth Horseman 18-12-2006 02:05 PM

I'm sorry folks, but posting e-mail adresses in open text is not permitted on this forum. If you want to ask Metuselah for that copy protection card, please register and use the PM function to tell him your e-mail adress.

Carcaroth 19-12-2006 01:00 AM

Compared with the first one, this game is very disappointing. It's still a nice game, but just that. The first AitD was one of the most genious games ever.

methuselah 23-12-2006 12:24 PM

---------------------------------------------------
HEX CODE CHEATS FOR "ALONE IN THE DARK 2" -- PART 1
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have downloaded a copy of the English version of AITD2 that 'freezes' when Carnby enters the sorceress' bedroom, or if you have downloaded a copy of the French version of AITD2 that 'freezes' when Grace climbs the ladder to go onto the deck of the pirate ship, you have a corrupted copy! I plan to try to correct these problems on my own, so that good copies will be available for download. Hopefully, I will have all the troubleshooting work completed sometime during the early months of 2007.

If anyone is trying to run AITD2 under MS-DOS 6.22, without success, send an e-mail and I will reply. I can provide sample AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, as well as installation software for Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 plug-and-play and Vibra 16 legacy cards. I also have copies of the AITD2 copy protection cards that can be sent as a GIF file. You must be a registered Abandonia member in order to access the "Members" section of this website and to send e-mail to me. --- Methuselah

================================================== =

To use the hex code cheats, you must have a hex editor. I use, and recommend, XVI32 Hex Editor, by Christian Maas. Do a Google search to find a copy of this freeware editor. The file that must be edited is named SAVE0.ITD.

Hex addresses for health and inventory items in saved games each occupy two bytes; thus, for example, 68C4 goes with 68C5. The hexadecimal values must be written in lo-hi format; 12 0C becomes 0C 12, for example. To boost health points and ammo, first convert the decimal value to its hexadecimal value, then use the two lists immediately following to convert the hexadecimal value to its 'encrypted' value, then transpose the resulting two byte values (if the decimal value is over 255).

Note the following examples:

255 DECIMAL = FF HEX = CA CONVERTED (NO FORMAT CHANGE NEEDED)
24683 DECIMAL = 60 6B HEX = 55 5E CONVERTED = 5E 55 LO-HI FORMAT
32000 DECIMAL = 7D 00 HEX = 48 35 CONVERTED = 35 48 LO-HI FORMAT

So, to boost Carnby's health points to 255, enter CA in hex address 68C4. To get 32,000 health points, enter 35 in address 68C4; enter 48 in address 68C5.

================
CONVERSION LISTS
================
1. 2.
0 = 3 0 = 5
1 = 2 1 = 4
2 = 1 2 = 7
3 = 0 3 = 6
4 = 7 4 = 1
5 = 6 5 = 0
6 = 5 6 = 3
7 = 4 7 = 2
8 = B 8 = D
9 = A 9 = C
A = 9 A = F
B = 8 B = E
C = F C = 9
D = E D = 8
E = D E = B
F = C F = A

Only a few hex addresses need to be edited to get through the game easily. The most essential addresses are listed below for the English and French versions of the game.

=============================
ITEM FRENCH ENGLISH
HEALTH 5E38 68C4
REVOLVER 5E3A 68C6
THOMPSON 5E28 68B4
SHOTGUN 6192 6C1E
DERRINGER 5E70 68FC
GRACE ---- 694E

To avoid having health and ammo automatically reset to lower values, do not use health flasks, Thompson ammo magazines or shotgun shells that are found during the course of the game. Flasks, ammo magazines and shells can be picked-up, but they should not be used after hex addresses have been manually edited. Adhering to this rule will eliminate the need to edit additional hex addresses.

Supplementary hex addresses follow below (English version).

68C0 Thompson Ammo
68C2 Thompson Ammo
68B4 Thompson Ammo
6A7A Thompson Ammo

6960 Pirate Pistol
6962 Pirate Pistol

6A7E Pirate Pistol Ammo
6A80 Pirate Pistol Ammo
695E Pirate Pistol Ammo

methuselah 26-12-2006 12:59 PM

HEX CODE CHEATS FOR "ALONE IN THE DARK 2" -- PART 2
The following hex codes are "non-essential" and are provided for informational or experimental purposes only. Most of what follows is a very rough translation from the original German text.

===============
INVENTORY ITEMS
===============
As with "Alone in the Dark 1" individual items must be added (including the actions) by entering the values in the appropriate hex addresses (SAVE0.ITD). With Carnby, inventory items begin at 67D6; actions start at 67D4. With Grace, the inventory begins with 6838; actions start at 683A. Inventory numbers are each entered as two bytes.

The inventory code (French version) begins at 5D42 and extends to 5E1B. The inventory code (English version) begins at 67D0 and extends to 68AB. The French version seems to include a byte that is intended to separate Carnby's inventory from Grace's inventory; the English version does not. Inventory items are each entered as two bytes.

All inventory articles are summarized in the following two lists. If you want an article from List 1, select the first number (see list), then enter 35 as the second byte. For an item from List 2, select the first number (see list) and then enter 34. As an example, for the crank (List 1) enter 83 35. For the shotgun (List 2), enter 17 34.

The following lists have not been checked for accuracy, except for three inventory items.

LIST NO. 1 (SECOND BYTE = 35)
03 Sandwich (adds 10 health points)
04 Captain's Staff
06 Key (for the cabinet in the kitchen of the house)
07 Chicken's Foot
09 Captain Nichols' Sword
0D Canteen (adds 10 health points)
10 Bag of Grain (food for parrot)
11 Teddybear --> 5DB0 5DB1 (French version)
12 Loastab (English word unknown)
16 Peppershaker --> 5DAE 5DAF (French version)
17 Token (brown)
19 Bell
1B Small Cannon
1D Eisbehaelter (English word unknown)
1F Pot (containing molasses)
20 Cane-Sword
22 Book ("The Flying Dutchman")
23 Derringer
28 Keys (to free Carnby from the shackles)
2A Lighter
2B Crystal Vase
2C Parchment (right half)
2D Parchment (left half)
2F Rug Beater
30 Thompson
31 Thompson
32 Thompson
33 Canteen (adds 10 health points)
35 Thompson
36 Pistol --> 67D0 67D1 (English)
37 Actions (Carnby)
55 Book ("I Vanquished Voodoo")
58 Amulet
5b Gold Doubloon
5F Hook
62 Bag of Gold
63 Keg of Gunpowder
65 Pliers
67 Short Fuse
68 Actions (Grace)
6C Pirate Pistol
6D Canteen (adds 30 health points)
6F Pirate Pistol
7D Key to One-Eyed Jack's cabin)
7E Ammunition for Pirate Pistol
81 Steel Karo Bube (English words unknown)
83 Crank
85 Book ("T.Bone")
94 Whiskey Flask
95 Canteen (adds 10 health points)
A2 Token (brown)
AA Book (concerning billards)
AB Bag
AC Five-cent piece (coin)
AD Token (yellow)
B0 Wine
B1 Poison
B3 Poisoned Wine
B9 Frying Pan
BC Plate with Fried Eggs (adds 10 health points)
C4 Canteen (adds 10 health points)
C5 Note (Xmas ACME Ltd.)
C7 Quaste (English word unknown)
CB Crown
CD Key (for a door in the attic)
D0 Bullet-proof Vest
D1 Parchment (concerning immortality)
D4 Schuerhaken (English word unknown)
D6 Bottle
D8 Magazine (Thompson ammo)
E0 Thompson
E1 Canteen (adds 20 health points)
E2 Canteen (adds 10 health points)
E5 Booklet ("Powder and Steam")
E9 Ammunition for Pirate Pistol
OD Ammunition for Pirate Pistol
EE Bullet-proof Vest
EF Canteen (adds 10 health points)

LIST NO. 2 (SECOND BYTE = 34)
10 Paper Bag
11 Key (to the underground wine cellar of the house)
12 Book ("Music Man")
13 Shotgun Shells
14 Canteen (adds 10 health points)
15 Manuscript
16 Pfeifenreiniger (English word unknown)
17 Shotgun
19 Hook
28 Magazine (Thompson ammo)
29 Bullet-proof Vest
2C Santa Claus Costume
2E Billiard Ball
2F Shotgun Shells
30 Grappling Hook
31 Book ("Shorty Leg")
32 Notebook (right half)
33 Notebook (left half)
36 Photo (of a statue)
38 Magazine (Thompson ammo)
39 Canteen (adds 10 health points)
3A Rope
3B Magazine (Thompson ammo)
3C Canteen (adds 10 health points)
3D Newspaper clipping ("Music Man's Pact")
3E Canteen (adds 10 health points)
3F Canteen (adds 10 health points)
79 Pirate Saber (with brown blade)

There are items that are only appropriate for Carnby or for Grace. With the use of hex cheats, however, any item can be added to Carnby's or Grace's inventory. Use common sense! Do not give Grace a Thompson submachine gun, and do not give Carnby a teddybear!

fasszopó onion geci 08-03-2007 02:17 PM

omfg this game is truly great, I played whole days wit' this

I have a question though, I can not pick up that dam amulett a message always appears that "I can't reach it", how to pick up the amulett then? I can not open the door near the billiard ball-riddle, behind to book shelf somebody help me plzplz :wallbash: :blink:

Geezer 08-03-2007 02:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fasszopó onion geci @ Mar 8 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]282482[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

omfg this game is truly great, I played whole days wit' this

I have a question though, I can not pick up that dam amulett a message always appears that "I can't reach it", how to pick up the amulett then? I can not open the door near the billiard ball-riddle, behind to book shelf somebody help me plzplz :wallbash: :blink: [/b]

Hints

Uncracking alone in the dark 2 31-03-2007 03:10 PM

This is from another person in the forum, I'm just re-sending it and adding a few things

Uncracking alone in the dark 2 in ANY WINDOWS:

First of all, users must create a ".bat" file with the following lines:

aitd2crk

aitd2

@echo off

(i suggest naming it run.bat)
After that just simply run this run.bat file with the VDMS program and the game will work all right.

PS: Ok so this helps a lot, but for people who don't know how to create a .bat file, here are the instructions:
Click Start
Click Run
Type "notepad" and press enter.
Once notepad is open, type the below lines in the file or copy and paste the below lines into notepad.

aitd2crk

aitd2

@echo off

Click File and click Save; browse to where you want to save the file. For the file name, type "run.bat", and if your version of Windows has a "Save as type" option, choose "All files", otherwise it will save as a text file. Once all of this has been done click the Save button and exit notepad.
Now, to run the batch file, simply double-click or run the file like any other program. Once the batch file has completed running it will close the window automatically. Isuggest that you saved it in your "alone in the dark 2" carpet so could be easier found it.

I hope this can help you!

Guest 13-05-2007 03:45 PM

Don't know if it helps, but you have to run the crackfile immediately before you start the game and everytime you start it. It's easiest to use the aitd2.bat to start.

Guest 13-05-2007 03:57 PM

Never mind the above post, i didn't notice there was more than one page, sorry.

noob256 03-08-2007 09:19 PM

hello,

in case some people are still not getting past the copy protection: here are the original code cards
(some guy on the web scanned them)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5...k2largeow6.jpg#

while i actually made this account however was to express my hope that the administrators of this page will in future avoid reviewing games that they have not really played (or merely gone through the first 10 minutes of the game for they couldn t manage the aiming and got killed in the garden already yehyeh).

despite: though you could discuss whether it is better or worse then 3 (i think it is better) you defintely failed in judging the music. the soundtrack is absolute quality and VERY present throughout the game -unable to configure sound properly? :P yes the configuration was even on a native dos system with an awe32 not too easy..

i recommend to people to visit various sources for old game music and try to get hold of aitd2 soundtrack.
or -if you can- grab a copy of the cd audio for even higher quality.

cheers!

stewie90 04-08-2007 04:23 PM

this is a beautiful game but it doesn't work on my pc...
i have win xp

Mighty Midget 04-08-2007 04:25 PM

What exactly happens when you try to run it?

Have you tried to run it in DOSBox?

stewie90 04-08-2007 05:17 PM

yes, but it doesn't start for nothing

The Fifth Horseman 06-08-2007 11:11 AM

Describe the precise procedure which you have used to run the game.

yeye_olive 09-08-2007 03:40 PM

If you have trouble passing the protection check, I made an archive with the cards and a complete list of the codes. You can download it here:

http: //serveurdarklone.free.fr/Fichiers/AITD2_protection_check.zip

(Remove the space before //, I could not post without inserting it -- it looks like a bug.)

Guest_Ingo_* 07-10-2007 08:39 PM

Well I've got a problem with Alone In The Dark 2. The game runs without any problems, but I'm stucked. When Carnby escapes from the cell and is caught by the witch, I have to play Grace but not on the ship (as told in all walkthroughs I could find) but in the Garden in front of the House. I can enter the car and find the billiard ball in the car trunk. When I place the ball a statue appears. What have I to do then? Why is Grace not on the ship???

Regards,
Ingo

eugene425 18-06-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest_Ingo_* (Post 307189)
Well I've got a problem with Alone In The Dark 2. The game runs without any problems, but I'm stucked. When Carnby escapes from the cell and is caught by the witch, I have to play Grace but not on the ship (as told in all walkthroughs I could find) but in the Garden in front of the House. I can enter the car and find the billiard ball in the car trunk. When I place the ball a statue appears. What have I to do then? Why is Grace not on the ship???

Regards,
Ingo

You must hidden in car/:OK:

Geezer 21-06-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest_Ingo_* (Post 307189)

Regards,
Ingo

Spoiler

eugene425 21-06-2010 10:48 PM

The amendment, clarification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 407857)
Spoiler

remark

Chaky 22-04-2011 06:32 AM

Not abandonware?

Since when is it not abandonware?

Paco 22-04-2011 09:25 AM

Since its sold at GoG just some days ago...

yoga 27-06-2011 06:07 PM

AITD 3 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paco (Post 426417)
Since its sold at GoG just some days ago...

Please, would be so kind inform me is AITD 3 not abandonware?

Thanks.

:3:

The Fifth Horseman 27-06-2011 06:35 PM

It's sold on GOG with AITD 1 and 2... seriously Yoga, you could have easily found it out yourself.

yoga 28-06-2011 06:04 AM

Merci

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 429597)
It's sold on GOG with AITD 1 and 2... seriously Yoga, you could have easily found it out yourself.

Thank You again, dear 5H, for your kind and prompt answer.

Playing games from early morning to evening I am bad expert about this stuff.

:hihihi:

I am asking because I finished that game and I want to add to my favorires.

yoga the brave

denzuk 15-11-2017 05:04 PM

Config for AITD2

Relieved my old times in these games, but without old hardware, it was almost impossible to play.....

.... until DOSBox and FE GUI arrived.... but alas, tweaking the sound, graphic and whatsnot is like tweaking IIS to run NGINX :(

Searching up and down through the Net... at last found the solution to run this game with sound and music....

Here is my BAT file....

@echo off
adlibm
drv_sb
aitd2

SB setting is normally set at A220 I7 D5, so by norm is not changed much. MIDI setting also is not changed (intelligent, default).

Hopefully this info will save someone's day of tiring search of how to hear music and FX while playing.....

marko river 20-11-2017 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denzuk (Post 469522)
....is like tweaking IIS to run NGINX :(

:smile2: XD :lame:

Solstar82 02-07-2023 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methuselah (Post 264895)
HEX CODE CHEATS FOR "ALONE IN THE DARK 2" -- PART 1
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have downloaded a copy of the English version of AITD2 that 'freezes' when Carnby enters the sorceress' bedroom, or if you have downloaded a copy of the French version of AITD2 that 'freezes' when Grace climbs the ladder to go onto the deck of the pirate ship, you have a corrupted copy! I plan to try to correct these problems on my own, so that good copies will be available for download. Hopefully, I will have all the troubleshooting work completed sometime during the early months of 2007.

If anyone is trying to run AITD2 under MS-DOS 6.22, without success, send an e-mail and I will reply. I can provide sample AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, as well as installation software for Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 plug-and-play and Vibra 16 legacy cards. I also have copies of the AITD2 copy protection cards that can be sent as a GIF file. You must be a registered Abandonia member in order to access the "Members" section of this website and to send e-mail to me. --- Methuselah

================================================== =

To use the hex code cheats, you must have a hex editor. I use, and recommend, XVI32 Hex Editor, by Christian Maas. Do a Google search to find a copy of this freeware editor. The file that must be edited is named SAVE0.ITD.

Hex addresses for health and inventory items in saved games each occupy two bytes; thus, for example, 68C4 goes with 68C5. The hexadecimal values must be written in lo-hi format; 12 0C becomes 0C 12, for example. To boost health points and ammo, first convert the decimal value to its hexadecimal value, then use the two lists immediately following to convert the hexadecimal value to its 'encrypted' value, then transpose the resulting two byte values (if the decimal value is over 255).

Note the following examples:

255 DECIMAL = FF HEX = CA CONVERTED (NO FORMAT CHANGE NEEDED)
24683 DECIMAL = 60 6B HEX = 55 5E CONVERTED = 5E 55 LO-HI FORMAT
32000 DECIMAL = 7D 00 HEX = 48 35 CONVERTED = 35 48 LO-HI FORMAT

So, to boost Carnby's health points to 255, enter CA in hex address 68C4. To get 32,000 health points, enter 35 in address 68C4; enter 48 in address 68C5.

================
CONVERSION LISTS
================
1. 2.
0 = 3 0 = 5
1 = 2 1 = 4
2 = 1 2 = 7
3 = 0 3 = 6
4 = 7 4 = 1
5 = 6 5 = 0
6 = 5 6 = 3
7 = 4 7 = 2
8 = B 8 = D
9 = A 9 = C
A = 9 A = F
B = 8 B = E
C = F C = 9
D = E D = 8
E = D E = B
F = C F = A

Only a few hex addresses need to be edited to get through the game easily. The most essential addresses are listed below for the English and French versions of the game.

ITEM FRENCH ENGLISH
HEALTH 5E38 68C4
REVOLVER 5E3A 68C6
THOMPSON 5E28 68B4
SHOTGUN 6192 6C1E
DERRINGER 5E70 68FC
GRACE ---- 694E

To avoid having health and ammo automatically reset to lower values, do not use health flasks, Thompson ammo magazines or shotgun shells that are found during the course of the game. Flasks, ammo magazines and shells can be picked-up, but they should not be used after hex addresses have been manually edited. Adhering to this rule will eliminate the need to edit additional hex addresses.

Supplementary hex addresses follow below (English version).

68C0 Thompson Ammo
68C2 Thompson Ammo
68B4 Thompson Ammo
6A7A Thompson Ammo

6960 Pirate Pistol
6962 Pirate Pistol

6A7E Pirate Pistol Ammo
6A80 Pirate Pistol Ammo
695E Pirate Pistol Ammo

can you please explain it in a more easy to undestand way how to add items? i am trying to add the thompson from an hex editor but can only find the offset and not the "lest code of the list" as you said

The current time is 10:50 AM (GMT)