Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Discworld (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=11475)

Romano 22-08-2006 10:14 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Mighty Midget 22-08-2006 10:18 AM

:w00t: :brain: :kosta: (what more is there to say :) ) One of my all time favorite series in adventure games. Thanks a TON for this! Do I need to tell I'll dl this?

Bluntman 22-08-2006 10:54 AM

CLASSIC CLASSIC CLAAAAAASSIC !!! :brain:

One of the best adventures ever made. Can't believe it's abandoned. But thank you Abandonia, we have to download it with the quickness. Before the link disappears...

Marinkorpse 22-08-2006 11:05 AM

This kind of games makes this site the best one!! Thanks!

The Fifth Horseman 22-08-2006 11:24 AM

Wonderful!

BTW, there is a version on HOTU with full voices... even better :)

catchaserguns 22-08-2006 11:36 AM

thank you for bringing this game here

Guest 22-08-2006 12:44 PM

As a man, who read almost every Discworld novel, I say "Great game!". BUT when I played it some time ago, there was a bug: When Rincewind joined the ritual, the game started Act 3 and acted as it was Act 1. Is it in this version too?

B.Ond 22-08-2006 01:16 PM

Well, I still can't manage to save the game
The SAVE folder is already there when installed but even if I make new the saving isnt working...
Any idea?

Guest 22-08-2006 02:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B.Ond @ Aug 22 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]250248[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

The SAVE folder is already there when installed but even if I make new the saving isnt working...
Any idea?
[/b]
I can't save either. Mine didn't start with a save folder, so I made one called SAVE and it didn't work. "save" didn't work either. I have it in the "DISCWLD" folder which was created after I installed it. I also have music, but no voices. I have the first sound option configured to Sondblaster Pro and the second as Soundblaster Pro, OPTL or something, since there wasen't just a plane Soundblaster Pro. I think the second option is the music(MIDI), so thats not a problem I doubt.

Guest 22-08-2006 02:54 PM

I have posted about this game on futuremark and have such recieved a warning...

Dear NeilSouth,

You have received an infraction at Futuremark Forums.

http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?p=206735

Reason:
-------
Promoting illegal software

Abandonware is still illegal. Only the copyright holder can release it as a free version.
-------

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Can someone tell them that this site does not host illegal downloads?

Havell 22-08-2006 02:59 PM

I'm afraid that all the downloads on this site are illegal.
It's just that we can get away with it (most of the time) as the copyright holders don't care.

Guest 22-08-2006 03:03 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Havell @ Aug 22 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]250272[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It's just that we can get away with it (most of the time) as the copyright holders don't care.
[/b]
Great so me thinking it is legal gets me into trouble?

THANKS ABONDONIA! :tai:

Havell 22-08-2006 03:06 PM

Does it say anywhere that it's legal? No, it doesn't.

In fact, the site clearly states that Abandonware is illegal in the FAQ and in numerous threads dotted around the forums.

Mighty Midget 22-08-2006 03:08 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 22 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]250273[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Havell @ Aug 22 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]250272[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
Great so me thinking it is legal gets me into trouble?

THANKS ABONDONIA! :tai:
[/b][/quote]

Just a friendly piece of advice: Do read about abandonware and it's legal status. You'll see that every abandonware site, Abandonia included, operates in the "no-man's land" between copyright holders' rights and the Law/copyright holders' lack of interest in those rights. Abandonware is, has always been, and (probably) will always be illegal.

Guest 22-08-2006 03:13 PM

Well anyway deleted that forum sod it , this place is great... and to say i am promoting illegal software is pathetic.

Thanks for the upload guys :D

Potatoe(from AR, probs from here 22-08-2006 03:57 PM

To anyone having save problems: In the directory where you have disc.bat create a folder named DISCWLD and in to that folder create a folder named SAVE. It should save and Dosbox shoudn't give an error. Enjoy!

Mighty Midget 22-08-2006 04:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 22 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]250201[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Wonderful!

[/b]
Any chance of getting those voices over? :whistling: Is it a matter of size?

The Fifth Horseman 22-08-2006 04:03 PM

It's a matter of two things:
1. Size - the voice-over version is about 120 MB, which makes it a tad unwieldy.
2. HOTU's rip seems to have been done specially for their site by one of their associates. Simply wouldn't be fair to just grab it and put it up here.

Mighty Midget 22-08-2006 04:15 PM

About HOTU, I agree. It's their archive. I was just looking for alternative ways of getting the speech.

EDIT: I see that my other post had some bad choise of words...

Potatoe 22-08-2006 04:16 PM

Having some issues with sound... When I try to run VDM sound it crashes my computer.. Can you get the music to play without VDM sound?

paulypoos 22-08-2006 04:36 PM

FIENDISHLY difficult adventure this one, and didnt they just know it!!! kept referring to the fact (and apologising tongue in cheek) in the sequel. The voices in the game (sadly not on this download) are superb, by the likes of Eric Idle, Jon Pertwee and Tony Robinson. I have this game for the PS1 and still havent completed it as I hate to look at walkthroughs! if theres one put on here though I'll probably be tempted.

I dont know what the legal status is of this download, its rare to find a site hosting it so well done ABANDONIA!!! Im sure it will prove to be a very popular addition.

:w00t:

Adamg 22-08-2006 05:16 PM

I like to think that people like us who download old games such as these for free are keeping memories and interest alive in games in a way that is beneficial to everyone. The majority of these games can't be purchased from their authors or publishers anymore, and in many cases not even the owners of the rights. Nobody in the games industry likes us much, but we really don't cause any damage here. Sites like this probably help actually, in some ways. ^_^

Fawfulhasfury 22-08-2006 05:48 PM

Question answering time:

Woopee! I am extremely excited that this finally went up. (I love this game, and Rincewind pwns)
As for the SAVE thing, I followed my own instructions and everything worked fine, so I dunno what to say bout that. (This version has no voices and probably never will, tis why its so small and able to even make it on ab). This game is abandonware because ESA has ceased to protect it. WOOPEE!

I'll leave you to have fun! :ok:

Quintopotere 22-08-2006 06:31 PM

This game is a milestone in the point and click funny adventures :brain:

T-Jack 22-08-2006 07:33 PM

Hey, isn't it possible to download just some files from the game at HOTU?

Guest 22-08-2006 11:44 PM

Hi there!
After unzipping I get some files and a setup file. but this file won't work, neither in XP directly nor using dosbox.
Could somebody please write here how to get the game working?

Thx a lot

Kolja

thebes 23-08-2006 12:52 AM

I made mine soundblaster pro and soundblaster pro optl and I do not have music or voice. Any ideas? It looks like a cool game. Also let me know if anyone can save. :sos: :wallbash:

Norrec 23-08-2006 12:57 AM

No disrespect to the great people here at Abandonia... but the Home of the Underdogs version of this game is just better. Not only do they have a fix so that you can play it perfectly without even needing VDMSound(atleast on my computer, with XP SP 2), but it also includes speech and sound effects(as well as music, which the version here has).

Anyway, I got about half way through(in I don't know, 6-7 hours) and gave up. This games hard, I ended up using a guide I'll admit. I guess all the puzzles make since, its just there was so many people to talk to, places to go, items to pick up, items to use items on, and some items can be combined togather. If you have a lot of time and not a lot to do, you should enjoy this one.

#BlakhOle# 23-08-2006 07:30 AM

Excuse me while I go crazy with euphoria... ^_^ :) :D :w00t: :brain: :wacko:

Northowl 23-08-2006 08:31 AM

This game is one of the best adventures made at all time! It is unfortunate that they don't make humorsitic games like this any more. It certainly does not hurt that Rincewind, the unfortunate hero, is voiced by none other than Eric Idle. He is, as most knows, a member of the Monty Python team, and he certainly bring this game several notch closer to their level. (there is even a place I swear he gets inspiration from the "nudge nudge say no more"-joke) I too have read all the books and am a big fan of Terry Pratchett's extremely fun brittish humor. I advice all you guys to check out his books.

It even surpass it's successor, Discworld II: Mortality Bytes! Because that game hangs too much up into the more modern flat cell animation graphics. They did not put the same heart in the background and animations as they did in the predecessor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 22 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]250201[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Wonderful!

[/b]
I advice everyone to get the speached voices for this game. The puns of Eric Idle is what made this game an instant hit. Not to mention the extremely fun voices of all the other characters and monkeys.

Wait... did I say "monkey"? Damn! I meant "ape". Ape! NOT monkey! Oh damn! Wait, WAIT AAAAARGH

-----

Did you see where that donkey cart came from?

Guest 23-08-2006 03:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 22 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]250201[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Wonderful!

[/b]

Though that HOTU version seems to be missing the english.smp file and such. :/ I couldn't get it to work...

Grinder 23-08-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Wonderful!

[/b]
Can't get it to work. First it went black and said ENGLISH.IDX is missing. So I stole that from the AB version. It went black and said ENGLISH.SMP is missing, like Guest mentioned. Now what do I do?

Guest 23-08-2006 03:46 PM

For that matter... Whilst I CAN get this version to work (with music), it won't save! (even though I did what the instructions said.)

The Fifth Horseman 23-08-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Though that HOTU version seems to be missing the english.smp file and such. :/ I couldn't get it to work..[/b]
Didn't have that problem...

Fawfulhasfury 23-08-2006 05:07 PM

Listen up. The file limit for games on this site is 75 mbs. The HOTU version of Discworld exceeds that limit. If you want the HOTU version of discworld, go to HOTU. But stop complaining about it here. brain_viking.gif

As far as saving, have you actually pressed F1 and clicked save? Or will it not save period? I'll try to see if I can figure out where my instructions go wrong.

RuySan 23-08-2006 05:58 PM

I'm a fan of Discworld novels but i remember this game being hard as hell with a lot of obscure puzzles.

TheChosen 24-08-2006 06:27 AM

*Starts shaking*

Diiiiscwooorld! WOOO! YAAAH! And its only 20 mb!

Oh wait, I dont have an internet....

*starts crying*

#BlakhOle# 24-08-2006 08:38 AM

While my euphoric craziness was very pleasurable, it was also short-lived, ending in extreme frustration when VDMsound failed to deliver the goods :ranting: . Others seem to have had this problem, so if anyone has any ideas as to how to fix this frustrating error it would be much appreciated

EDIT: Whoops, had a n00b moment then. I forgot to check the write-up :) . Problem is i tried changing the custom settings and that didn't help either :angry: . More help please ^_^

Guest 24-08-2006 04:51 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grinder @ Aug 23 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]250566[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 22 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]250201[/snapback]
Quote:

Wonderful!

[/b]
Can't get it to work. First it went black and said ENGLISH.IDX is missing. So I stole that from the AB version. It went black and said ENGLISH.SMP is missing, like Guest mentioned. Now what do I do?
[/b][/quote]

You have to download the Decoder fix, "DECODE.EXE file in download zip must be replaced with file from Decoder fix (download above). Then run UNPACK.BAT. Read README.TXT file if you are using anything higher than Windows 95."

The game didn't work for me until I noticed that at the bottom of the page, after doing what it said the game was fine and I have been enjoying it so much. I remember the first time I saw this game, there was a documentary on the TV before "Wyrd Sisters" the animated version was on, then a few years later a friend of mine had it on his computer, it was awesome, and even more years later I got the chance to play it at home, and I wasn't disappointed, just confused as the puzzles are so wacky. I reckon this is one of the best games I have ever played.

Busses 24-08-2006 10:14 PM

That last post was me, forgot to login.

Gary 24-08-2006 11:43 PM

Hi all, i have to say this is one of my fav games. i would like some help with it, i am having problems trying to sort out the voices on it. i have looked at the HOTU to try and get the files but no luck yet :( can anyone help me out with it, like i siad its one of my fav games and i would lov to play it again with full voices on it. if anyone can help email me at e-mail removed thanks all :) :)

Please do not post e-mails on the message board. This is mainly to protect you from spam bots. Thanks!

Guest 25-08-2006 03:54 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fawfulhasfury @ Aug 23 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]250599[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Listen up. The file limit for games on this site is 75 mbs. The HOTU version of Discworld exceeds that limit. If you want the HOTU version of discworld, go to HOTU. But stop complaining about it here. brain_viking.gif

As far as saving, have you actually pressed F1 and clicked save? Or will it not save period? I'll try to see if I can figure out where my instructions go wrong.
[/b]

First of all Clown-man. I wasn't complaining about this place not having the HOTU version. But about me getting neither to work satisfactorily. 'Aight? ;D

Second, yes I tried pressing F1. And I tried clicking save. And it won't save period. If I hadn't tried pressing F1 I'd have more likely asked 'so how DO you save anyway?' Note that I didn't. ;) ;) ;)

Guest 25-08-2006 09:57 AM

Mine won't save either. I press F1, type in the save name, hit the tick and then next time I go there it's disappeared. I have a folder called SAVE in the same folder with the disc.bat file like it says in the instructions but that game is still not saving.

DonCorleone 25-08-2006 12:10 PM

Maybe this 'Decode.exe' thingy solves the problem...

Never played this game and I dunno if I will. I remeber that I tested one of the series for just five minutes and didn't like it somehow. I think I was too much used to Lucasarts and Sierra. If that isn't the point, I don't know why I hated it back in the days...
Tell me: why am I completely wrong?

discworld 25-08-2006 12:27 PM

Thanks for this great game. now all we need is discworld 2 that game will just top it of to you being the best site in the world. :brain: :w00t: :max: :bleh: ^_^

Tupperware Ninja 25-08-2006 01:22 PM

I downloaded the game, did the whole process with the Decoder.EXE fix. Unpacked it, replaced the english.xyz file, and then ran the game.

By itself: No sound.

Run with VDMS: No Sound.

Any ideas?

Guest_Chris_* 25-08-2006 05:00 PM

Okay, I downloaded the one of of HOTU, applied the fix, and unpacked it, but I can't find where it put the files. Can anybody help?

chainsoar 25-08-2006 05:05 PM

Looks like a great game, I never realised the Discworld game series went back that far. If it was even worth trying to run anything on this piece of junk I call my pc (or more frequently "YOU COMPLETE AND TOTAL B***ARD!") then I'd download it and give it a go. I've been reading the Discworld series for years now, and it pleases me to see that all the games made based upon it haven't let the name down.

#BlakhOle# 25-08-2006 10:59 PM

@Tupperware Ninja:
I had this same problem, but i think it might just be your not waiting long enough. There's no actual sound until the little movie starts or the game does. If you're expecting sound as soon as you start the DISC.bat file (or DWB) and end it straight away, you might just think you don't have sound. Be patient, i was and was rewarded with sound :) . Then again, the music really isn't anything to write home about, so if the sound doesn't work, you might want to just have some normal music running in the background :) . Hope this's helped.

Also to those people having trouble saving I also found i couldn't save if i played Discworld on XP, but it worked fine when i saved it on dosbox. Hope that helps too ;)

Guest 26-08-2006 04:39 AM

Hi i have a question formo the game, that i dont know if the game have a bug or im beign too impacient.
Well the fact is that i use the pickpocket whith the pocket of the barber, Ricewind do so, put his hand in the pocket, but i get nothing. Im sure that if a can do that im must get somthing back.
Ijust want to check that.
Thanks.
(the game is great, and i can save, and got sound if anyone wants to know)

arbela47000 26-08-2006 06:03 AM

Okay, so I downloaded the game, opened the zip folder, opened the install file in XP SP2. I try to install to c:\discwld, but it says, "Cannot open: DW_1.RNC" Did anyone else encounter such a problem? If so, I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

Grinder 26-08-2006 09:13 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 24 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]250764[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

You have to download the Decoder fix, "DECODE.EXE file in download zip must be replaced with file from Decoder fix (download above). Then run UNPACK.BAT. Read README.TXT file if you are using anything higher than Windows 95."
[/b]
OS X, but thanks anyway for the advice, I'll be sure to check it out!

Guest 26-08-2006 10:46 AM

Hmm hit a bug here.

With the game installed exactly at C:\DiscWld, the Save subdirectory is automatically created when I first start the game.

However, whenever I save, it seems the current directory gets changed to C:\DiscWld\Save. So the next time I hit a new area, it will crash, saying xxx.gra not found. e.g. the one when you first exit your room is unseen.gra.

Any idea how to fix this problem? :sos:

#BlakhOle# 26-08-2006 01:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 26 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]251044[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Hmm hit a bug here.

With the game installed exactly at C:\DiscWld, the Save subdirectory is automatically created when I first start the game.

However, whenever I save, it seems the current directory gets changed to C:\DiscWld\Save. So the next time I hit a new area, it will crash, saying xxx.gra not found. e.g. the one when you first exit your room is unseen.gra.

Any idea how to fix this problem? :sos:
[/b]
I also encountered this problem, but i don't know how to fix it. But it seems to happen randomly to me, and i found if i saved it just before i changed areas and it crashed, i went back to just before and tried again and it worked. I suggest saving alot.

The day I download an awesome game i love that's also completely flawless is still yet to come... <_<

Guest 26-08-2006 02:16 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Aug 26 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]251059[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I also encountered this problem, but i don't know how to fix it. But it seems to happen randomly to me, and i found if i saved it just before i changed areas and it crashed, i went back to just before and tried again and it worked. I suggest saving alot.

The day I download an awesome game i love that's also completely flawless is still yet to come... <_<
[/b]
My temporary workaround to the problem is to NOT save a lot.

When you save, the current directory gets changed from C:\DiscWld to C:\DiscWld\Save. Then if you need to access new areas, the game will crash. So after each save I'll need to exit, launch and load.

But I saw in this thread that this game is pretty difficult. So I'll need to save a lot.

In this state the game isn't playable. :wallbash:

Dark Piedone 26-08-2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Hmm hit a bug here.

Any idea how to fix this problem? [/b]
I also had the same problem until I copied all the files from discwld in the SAVE folder... there problem solved :D

Guest 26-08-2006 04:12 PM

:kosta:

Why didn't I think of that?! :wallbash:

Northowl 26-08-2006 10:18 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 26 2006, 04:39 AM) [snapback]251021[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Hi i have a question formo the game, that i dont know if the game have a bug or im beign too impacient.
Well the fact is that i use the pickpocket whith the pocket of the barber, Ricewind do so, put his hand in the pocket, but i get nothing. Im sure that if a can do that im must get somthing back.
Ijust want to check that.
Thanks.
(the game is great, and i can save, and got sound if anyone wants to know)
[/b]
You need to make him daydream about his milkmaid LOL. First talk to the lady, then look at her hair-roller, talk to her again. She will now ask the barber to put it in his pocket. Talk to him, and when u see the dream bubble above him, use pickpocket on him.

#BlakhOle# 26-08-2006 11:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 27 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]251085[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

:kosta:

Why didn't I think of that?! :wallbash:
[/b]
Strangely enough I also thought of that just before Dark Piedone made that post. But it still did it for me anyways, just not as often... :huh:

Fawfulhasfury 26-08-2006 11:53 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 25 2006, 03:54 AM) [snapback]250854[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

First of all Clown-man. I wasn't complaining about this place not having the HOTU version. But about me getting neither to work satisfactorily. 'Aight? ;D

Second, yes I tried pressing F1. And I tried clicking save. And it won't save period. If I hadn't tried pressing F1 I'd have more likely asked 'so how DO you save anyway?' Note that I didn't. ;) ;) ;)
[/b]
My post wasn't just aimed at you. Sry if I sent the wrong message. (BTW my name is Mr. Uptight and White :P)
Anyway back to topic.

Guest 27-08-2006 01:09 AM

You need to make him daydream about his milkmaid LOL. First talk to the lady, then look at her hair-roller, talk to her again. She will now ask the barber to put it in his pocket. Talk to him, and when u see the dream bubble above him, use pickpocket on him.
[/quote]

Thanks for the answer, but just after posting that message a figured it out. Now im just starting Act 2.

byte_size 27-08-2006 11:39 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbela47000 @ Aug 26 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]251024[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Okay, so I downloaded the game, opened the zip folder, opened the install file in XP SP2. I try to install to c:\discwld, but it says, "Cannot open: DW_1.RNC" Did anyone else encounter such a problem? If so, I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
[/b]
Sounds like you're trying to run install from within the zipped folder without extracting all files first. If you do that, the files you need can't be found because they're still zipped!

For those who have had problems saving, I also had this problem until I installed the game directly to c:\discwld. If you try to install to any other directory it will run ok, but it will still try to save to c:\discwld\save. Seems that the programmers decided to hardcode an absolute file path instead of using a relative file path... :not_ok:

By the way, I've also had no luck with VDMSound (I'm running on WinXP). Might try my luck with the HOTU version...

whatshisface 27-08-2006 01:27 PM

The shades is a place where curiosity not only kills the cat, but ties lead weights to its feet and throws it in the river

:hysterical:

Guest 27-08-2006 01:50 PM

Well, fun as this game looks. The Abandonia version won't seem to save no matter what I do. (Even though the sound is fine.)

And the HOTU version, even if I put that decode thingy where they want, doesn't seem to get those required english.smp files and such. I tried running the decode and/or unzipping it in various ways. But no dice. So that won't even run.

How frustrating.

Guest 27-08-2006 01:58 PM

Aaah... I think found the key to how to save on the Abandonia version.

When using Dosbox, you MUST mount c in such a way that the directory the game is in is

C:\discwld

Now I have my old dosgames in a directory called d:\dosgames with a subdirectory for adventure games named adv

So when I mounted it the game was on c:\adv\discwld

And that it didn't like.

Guest 28-08-2006 02:04 AM

Well, to those with problems i ll tell you wich i found an d how i solve them:

First the game MUST be installed on c:\discwld. In there you must have a folder named "save". So when i enter the game directly from win xp, i could save but a got no sound.

Sooo i enter the game from dosbox. First i enter config.exe and configured the sound whit the first option (adlib i think) and sound blaster after that. Then i enter the game with disc.exe, And now i got sound!! But i couldnt save :blink:
Soooo i created a folder named discwld INSIDE the discwld folder on c: And inside the new discwld folder a folder named save.
And now i can play with sound and save form dosbox.
Hope helped someone

Guest 28-08-2006 03:32 PM

Of course, now it gives this weird error where after I save it cannot find any room I've not already been too, the files for which it then apperently decides to seek in the save directory, for reasons only known to this game itself.

Hmm... Its not that large though. Maybe if I copied all those files into the save directory as well. Sure, it'd be twice its normal size, but then it might just work hunky-dory.

Guest 29-08-2006 01:16 PM

And it DOES work hunky dory now.

Cumbersome, but it can be played normally now without any errors.

So... the lowdown on saving...

Make sure the game thinks its directly on C:\ Not C:\somesubdirectory or anything.

Copy all files to the 'save' directory as well. (I don't mean MOVE all files to it. But actually copy them. Doubling the games size.)

Then and only then can you play it normally.

Honestly, nice as the game is, that does detract from the score I think. And its also hampered a bit by not being very intuitive at all. It IS very funny though.

lgonggr 29-08-2006 08:54 PM

Thanks a zillion, guys ! :kosta:
I spend like a week last year trying to get this game from anyplace wherever. I'm a total pratchett whacko and have all his books ! This is my best birthday present ever :brain: !
Now let's see if I can actually get it to work

Guest 29-08-2006 11:21 PM

Well i found a very ugly, disgusting and strange bug.
The most strange is that the first time i play it nothing happen, i won the game with no difficult (although act 4 is full of bugs).

But now i start the game all over again and in act 2 when Ricewind join the ritual the game crashes. The odd thing is that crashes when played on dosbox, if i play that part on xp the game doesnt crash, but it starts from the beggining!! When the ritual ends, appears the fly fling near death, like in the introdction of the game and then act 1 starts.
Really strange and annoying, luck that i already won the game, but anyaway, any ideas?

Guest 30-08-2006 03:02 PM

Act IV IS full of bugs yeah.

I give this game an A for effort (and humour), a B- for execution (the game should give you far more clues on things you could/should do next. It tries, but many puzzles are completely random and seem to make no sense.), and unfortunately an F for being full of all sorts of weird bugs that seriously hamper its playability.

:/

And thats a real pity, since the game could have well been an A all across the board.

Mind you I'm not blaming Abandonia. I'm blaming this game!

guest osk 31-08-2006 07:29 AM

wonderfull game. it was, however, the game that made me realize i totaly suck at adventure/puzzle games :unsure:

Northowl 31-08-2006 06:25 PM

I bought this game on my Playstation 1 in the ancient times. It was one of the very first game to come on that system LOL, and was one of the very few games that supported the Playstation mouse!. And had of course all the sounds of the actors.

If any1 have problems solving the clues in this game, you can find good walkthroughs at places like www.gamefaqs.com

--AF-> BearClaw 01-09-2006 06:48 AM

OMG!! I Lolled My Pants Of!!

tbmutiny00 03-09-2006 10:05 PM

I am a big fan of adventure games. The humor, mainly the tour guide, is exceptional! This game is ranking up there with my Lucas Arts games viz. Monkey1, Monkey2, DOTT on the humor. Thank you abandonia for this game, I do have to say that speech version is what really brings the humor out in this game. It is very Monty Pythonish on humor, obviously because of the main character's voice, download this game!!!

Northowl 05-09-2006 10:42 AM

Finally some1 who see the same as me ^^ This game is extremely great, but without the voices it's just a little bit more than most other adventures. Please all, get the voiced version! I guarantee you get det difference!!

nohammer 05-09-2006 04:16 PM

Has anyone encountered the bug where when opening the safe as a ghost and getting the hammer, no hammer appears?
I've tried this several times - doing it with the door open, door shut, going to the room next door and back, trying to interact with different objects before double-clicking the jewellery box...
I've also tried doing this with the abandonia version as well as a mounted version of the cd, both in dosbox and windows xp...!
And i never hold the hammer! however rincewind can open the safe and get the hammer as many times as he wants!
can anyone help?

cheers!

nohammer 05-09-2006 04:20 PM

Just forgot to say that the cd version which i tested has had the patched installed and the 'drivers' directory removed, following instructions in the update.bat file.

Northowl 05-09-2006 09:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nohammer @ Sep 5 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]252943[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Has anyone encountered the bug where when opening the safe as a ghost and getting the hammer, no hammer appears?
I've tried this several times - doing it with the door open, door shut, going to the room next door and back, trying to interact with different objects before double-clicking the jewellery box...
I've also tried doing this with the abandonia version as well as a mounted version of the cd, both in dosbox and windows xp...!
And i never hold the hammer! however rincewind can open the safe and get the hammer as many times as he wants!
can anyone help?

cheers!
[/b]
It is not a bug. Thou I agree the hintage to this puzzle was a bit wague. The idea is that Rincewind has no clue what the hammer is for, and need to find out about it. After seing it once, go to present and talk to the scary guy again, the same topics as before. Rincewind will automatically ask about the hammer. You will then know what to do. Go to the past, go to inn, use the sheet and take the jewelry box.

nohammer 05-09-2006 10:31 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Northowl @ Sep 5 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]252981[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nohammer @ Sep 5 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]252943[/snapback]
Quote:

can anyone help?

cheers!
[/b]
It is not a bug. Thou I agree the hintage to this puzzle was a bit wague. The idea is that Rincewind has no clue what the hammer is for, and need to find out about it. After seing it once, go to present and talk to the scary guy again, the same topics as before. Rincewind will automatically ask about the hammer. You will then know what to do. Go to the past, go to inn, use the sheet and take the jewelry box.
[/b][/quote]

Oh... ok. I assumed it was a bug! I actually beat the game when it came out (like 10 years ago or more...) but got inspired to play it (thanks abandonia... NO WAY are adventure games dead!) again after a long time. Really don't remember much of the puzzles!
Thanks very much!

Thornwood 05-09-2006 11:54 PM

Good stuff! Looks like I'm going to have a great time with this one, being a fan of Terry Pratchett, Monty Python, AND adventure games. Now if I could just get the voices to work (I downloaded from HOTU, since I heard that's a better version). I've got the music working just fine, but I'd love to hear the voice actors' delivery of Pratchett's witty dialogue.
Can't wait to play this!

CataBina 07-09-2006 07:02 PM

Really wanted to play this, got everything installed and started via DosBox 0.65, but the game crashes as soon as I try to enter the dining room after getting the book for the chancellor. Sometimes it works after restarting, but not always...

Any hint about how I should set my DosBox?

Thx
Cat

Northowl 08-09-2006 07:26 AM

Hmmm maybe you need to put up the cycles on DOSbox a bit

The Fifth Horseman 08-09-2006 09:29 AM

Nope, the cycles don't have anything to do with the game crashing.

Are you sure your sound settings are properly configured?

Did you try using DosBox 0.63 (DosBox compatibility base has the game as fully supported under 0.63)?

Did you try the talkie version from HOTU?

CataBina 08-09-2006 03:32 PM

Thanks to all for the advice... but I just read the review and the tech tips... tried VDMS, and it's really smooth - no more crashes so far.

#BlakhOle# 10-09-2006 06:36 AM

Hey I'm in the middle somewhere of the second act, and I can't work out how to move on from the past. Every time I try to travel forward to the present it comes up with Death, Famine, War and another guy who's probably Pestilence playing assorted card and board games, and they keep talking about the butterfly saving Rincewind. Thing is, I've already done it. Or at least I succeded in shoving a frog in his mouth( :rolleyes: ) and taking the Butterfly to the lamp on the corner of the street. I also started a fight in the drum and took the stick. I stole the scared guys pass, but that was before it kept coming up with Death and co. If there's anything I'm missing please help coz I've been at this for ages and I just can't work it out.

Northowl 10-09-2006 08:20 AM

You are doing everything right. The thing is you cannot bring the book back to present with you. Not yet. Put the book back in place, and Death poker party should cease to come up.

By the way, while in the past, did you read the sign on the toilet door ;)

Xyanide 11-09-2006 09:30 AM

Hey everyone I've been wondering what you guys meant with this VDMsound thing. Is it a compatiility application?
It's not like I've never played dos games, but they never required much :P

My game however does work perfectly so far (yes even saving without bugging when you move to new areas) but entirely without sound! somebody please help me on this :sos:

xyanide 11-09-2006 09:53 AM

*sorry about the double post mods*

alright i googled this VDMS thing and yeah it's a compatibility sound thing for dos
I got my music to work :ok:
but my voices and stuff still arn't working, I tried the soundblaster pro and the soundblaster 16, neither works.

The Fifth Horseman 11-09-2006 12:45 PM

VDMSound by default emulates Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7 DMA 1 address 220h. Run the games' sound configuration utility and input these values when prompted.

Thornwood 12-09-2006 01:14 AM

Ok, I've got VDMsound installed and I reconfigured the game, but now it refuses to open. Oh, and it says 'cannot find english.idx'. I got this off HOTU, so it ought to have the voices. Weird. Tips would be greatly appreciated.

The Fifth Horseman 12-09-2006 02:53 PM

There are a couple things you need to do with the HOTU version for it to work.
Downloading and installing the patch from HOTU is one of them.

Supermum 13-09-2006 11:03 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 29 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]251760[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Well i found a very ugly, disgusting and strange bug.
The most strange is that the first time i play it nothing happen, i won the game with no difficult (although act 4 is full of bugs).

But now i start the game all over again and in act 2 when Ricewind join the ritual the game crashes. The odd thing is that crashes when played on dosbox, if i play that part on xp the game doesnt crash, but it starts from the beggining!! When the ritual ends, appears the fly fling near death, like in the introdction of the game and then act 1 starts.
Really strange and annoying, luck that i already won the game, but anyaway, any ideas?
[/b]
I've just had the same problem. the game crashes after the ceremony in act II on dos. the XP version doesnt, but sends me back to the intro.
does anybody have a save (right after the ceremony) that i could use?
thanks

Archangel Michael 21-09-2006 08:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 22 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]250268[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B.Ond @ Aug 22 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]250248[/snapback]
Quote:

Any idea?
[/b]
I can't save either. Mine didn't start with a save folder, so I made one called SAVE and it didn't work. "save" didn't work either. I have it in the "DISCWLD" folder which was created after I installed it. I also have music, but no voices. I have the first sound option configured to Sondblaster Pro and the second as Soundblaster Pro, OPTL or something, since there wasen't just a plane Soundblaster Pro. I think the second option is the music(MIDI), so thats not a problem I doubt.
[/b][/quote]
Hi! I was facing the same "saving" prob. But I found out the trick:
Install the game on the default folder (i think is dsworld or smth like it) and BEFORE running anything, create the folder "save" inside this diretory. then run the file DISC and configure sound and enjoy!
see ya
Mike

Guest 29-09-2006 11:20 PM

I'm still going barmy...

I had this on the Playstation and the game didn't save then... 4 different memory cards and 3 discs and it didnt save at all... i coud do so much and always had to start over....

now I have the same blasted problem on here...

I have tried adding a Save directory, I renamed my main directory to discwld from Discworld, I added a directory inside called disckwld/save as well still to no avail getting my saved games to save, display or anything really

going bonkers :¬(

Amy 18-10-2006 02:41 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supermum @ Sep 13 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]254749[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I've just had the same problem. the game crashes after the ceremony in act II on dos. the XP version doesnt, but sends me back to the intro.
thanks
[/b]

Yep I'm having this problem too. It goes back to the intro and then Ricewind wakes and gets up from bed and you are stuck -- can't move, can't save can't load... *sigh* kind of sad hey?

Guest 21-10-2006 11:34 AM

What kind of sound exacly i should hear when it works perfectly? I hear some sort of music that i suppose to be right but i don't hear anything else. Should i or should i not hear anything else?

Guest_Mort_* 25-10-2006 10:06 PM

It seems I am suffering from the same problem as a few other people...
When I join the dragon summoning ceremony I end up in the cut-scene at the start of the game (with the drunk bumping into death, then getting roasted alive, then to the UU and eventually the bursar comes to Rincewind's room and wakes him up) and then the game freezes.

At first I wondered if my save file was corrupt so I went back to a previous one and worked forward to the same scene but once again the game plays the opening cut-scene and then freezes up.

I know someone asked if anyone had a save file from straight after the ceremony before... if anyone has can you let me know please.

Thanks.

JJXB 25-10-2006 11:00 PM

had a proper cd of it but lost it so i had to dl it from HOTU. i got it working via VDMS/SoundFX2000(Commercial)
that one works fine so if possible get the one from HOTU

Ratsalad 27-10-2006 08:10 AM

Oooh, this game is soo darn zany!

And I AM going to solve it without a walk-through. Well, that is what I normally say, when I start out playing an adventure.
If you are looking for a walk-through that tries not to spoil your entire gaming experience, try universal hints system.
The link for this game is http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/discwrld/1.php

Gottfried 29-10-2006 09:23 AM

:brain: Thanx for Discworld, people :brain: Now i'm gonna be dead for everyone next few days...

Guest 29-10-2006 06:19 PM

Hey!, im missing the english.smp file! can someone please send me it? Ishould_have@read.the.rules

Pixie 29-10-2006 07:09 PM

The game keeps crashing after the dragon summoning ceremony. I know this has been discussed before but I was wondering if anyone had solved the problem successfully.

Sarah 19-11-2006 05:57 PM

<div align="center">i just downloaded it

and it wouldnt work

it jus wont unstall i really dunt ger it

n e ideas ??

e-mail removed

xxxxx
</div>

The Fifth Horseman 20-11-2006 10:56 AM

DosBox should be utilised.
<Lifeform> can assimilate DosBox under following location.

<Lifeform>s unfamiliar with DosBox should analyze the official DosBox FAQ.
Basic Setup and Installation is a Priority One starting location for that task.
DosBox installation includes file "README.TXT". Contents of the file should be assimilated by <lifeform> prior to any attempts of interaction with DosBox.

Guest 27-11-2006 01:36 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amy @ Oct 18 2006, 02:41 AM) [snapback]261871[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supermum @ Sep 13 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]254749[/snapback]
Quote:

thanks
[/b]

Yep I'm having this problem too. It goes back to the intro and then Ricewind wakes and gets up from bed and you are stuck -- can't move, can't save can't load... *sigh* kind of sad hey?
[/b][/quote]

I have exactly the same problem, and I'm running it on Windows XP. I can't skip the introduction movie, since my computers locks up completely, but if I wait until the movie has finished I can at least put the robe back in my inventory, but then I can't do anything more.
Is the game supposed to send you back to the beginning after the dragon ceremony?

Pixie 28-11-2006 06:14 PM

Since so many people have the same problem is it possible that this is a bug in the version for download? Has anyone downloaded the game and gotten past this section?

Was really enjoying the game up to this point.

Pixie 06-01-2007 11:44 AM

I saw Discworld II is abandonware now. Anyone know where it can be downloaded?

The Fifth Horseman 08-01-2007 09:42 AM

Underdogs.

Ax 17-01-2007 02:30 AM

After some hacking, I found the solution to the "missing english.smp"-problem in discworld (for those of us having downloaded the full talkie-version from underdogs/hotu):

When you run the unpack.bat-script, the error message is hidden from you. The problem is simple really: decode.exe can't be run under dosbox. It has to be run under a win32-environment. That's why some people have this problem, but for others it works splendid. So, just run the unpack.bat from an ordinary windows-installation, and you'll be fine.

The hotu-version also seems to be a patched version, and some of the bugs from previous versions has been removed (for instance the program changing catalogs after saving).

Guest 18-01-2007 03:53 AM

Seems the Abandonia copy of the game NEEDS the patch in order to play this game. So many of us can't even get past the second act thanks to the dragon cutscene :wallbash:

Please! Please can someone either add the patch from the HOTU copy, or a save from after the cutscene? I'm so upset I won't be able to finish this great game...thankyou.

Ax 22-01-2007 01:07 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 18 2007, 04:53 AM) [snapback]275443[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Please! Please can someone either add the patch from the HOTU copy, or a save from after the cutscene? I'm so upset I won't be able to finish this great game...thankyou.
[/b]
I couldn't load the savegame in the unpatched version of the game. But it is possible to download only the game-files from HOTU. Just select to download individual files, and don't download the voices.r*-archive. And you must also select no digital sound when running setup. Besides this, I think you can run the installation the same way as described on HOTU. It would also be possible for Abandonia to make a non-talkie-version from this (as they are limited from sharing big files).

Guest2 23-02-2007 10:05 AM

I have some issues with this game.

First, you should know that I play on old Win 98, since it supports most of my own games..But, VDMSound asks for an administrator..And Win 98 doesn´t have things like admins. How do I get the sound to work?
I tried the soundblaster Pro setting and so on, but still nothing but deafening silence.

Second: I know this is a naive question, but -since- I am using this particular OS, do I -have- to use DOSBox? I was just a toddler when I used DOS, and gods know that was about 12-13 years ago, I don´t remember even the most common commands now. *sighs*

I could really need some help on this.

Third: Simon the sorcerer works -with sound- for me, but the game hangs itself about when it asks me to insert disc 3? Even when I first played the game, around 15 years old or so, there was no disc..admittedly I got stuck then too, but then it was waaaay after the mushroom-stew.

Finally, I must admit that I enjoy abandonia, mostly for it´s freeware actually. It´s more fun playing something that a fellow-gamer has done than a company, there´s more "ingame" winks at the player when it´s another player that knows the game/s that came before and so on. Still, I haven´t been able to find a version of Discworld here where I live, not for PC nor Playstation, if I had I would have bought it.

The Fifth Horseman 23-02-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

First, you should know that I play on old Win 98, since it supports most of my own games..But, VDMSound asks for an administrator..And Win 98 doesn´t have things like admins. How do I get the sound to work?
I tried the soundblaster Pro setting and so on, but still nothing but deafening silence. [/b]
Simply, you cannot install VDMS on this system.
Try DosBox or reboot into DOS mode and run the game from there (you can use Abandonia Boot Disk - downloadable from our programs page - for that purpose)

Anna 25-02-2007 12:49 AM

I'm playing disc world and the street urchin has just shown me how to pickpocket,
But i cant get it to work on my own. <_<
the only keys that seem to do anything are enter, right click and double left click and when i have the pickpocket ability out, I've try all these things on many characters and nothing happens it just continues to say
That doesn't work! :angry: <_<

Tito 25-02-2007 05:10 PM

Well, it is not a skill you can use with any character. It is useful for solving some puzzles in particular. I remember, for example, that you could use it to get something from a hairdresser.

Cosmonaut_Roger 25-02-2007 10:19 PM

Ah cool, I was having the same problem as everyone else here, but that patch seems to have helped as I can finally get past it. It's been a long while since I played a discworld game, this should be fun!

Guest 01-03-2007 06:52 PM

just wondering if anyone can tell me where to get the fertillizer i need in act 111 thanx

Tito 02-03-2007 10:42 AM

You get some fertilizer at the back of the Unseen University. Hope it helps you.

Guest 04-03-2007 10:41 AM

Hmm, so, I'm having the same problem as lots of other people - after the dragon ceremony, it crashes. Mine doesn't even take me back to the beginning, just closes down DOSBox altogether.

So, just to clarify, the only way to get past this is to download from HOTU?

Thanks! (and thanks anyway - it was great to play this again)

Guest 04-03-2007 10:48 PM

Me again (I'm the poster above). So, having downloaded the HOTU version I am now happily making my way through act II, but I seem to have hit a bit of a problem. (er, spoiler warning, for anyone who hasn't got that far...)

Anyway, I gave the prunes to the fishmonger before I'd put the custard in the toilet. So he ran to the toilet, but I couldn't get the belt. The problem is, I seem to have lost the prunes, and I can't find a way of making them come back. I've tried reenacting the whole fight/drumstick/gong business - but although the fight resets, the apprentice stays firmly in the dining room the whole time and the prunes just won't reappear outside. Any ideas? Or is this a bug?

Right, I'm off to kick myself for not having not made more different saves thoughout Act II... Any ideas very gratefully received: I don't think I can bear to go through the whole act over again!

MeXX 12-04-2007 01:41 PM

:ok: sacht mal kann man bei discworld auch deutsch einstelln??

bitte um antwort thx

The Fifth Horseman 12-04-2007 02:47 PM

Most people here don't even know German language, while all know English (to a varying degree).
By posting a question in German, you ensure that most people who could help you won't even understand you.

Guest 17-05-2007 01:45 PM

Hi very new here

Could somebody please tell me if if the problem of how to save discworld was ever solved?? love the game but certainly am never going to have the time to complete it in one sitting!!!

Thanks ^_^

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 22 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]250276[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Well anyway deleted that forum sod it , this place is great... and to say i am promoting illegal software is pathetic.

Thanks for the upload guys :D
[/b]

The Fifth Horseman 17-05-2007 01:52 PM

It was:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Archangel Michael @ Sep 21 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]256549[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Install the game on the default folder (i think is dsworld or smth like it) and BEFORE running anything, create the folder "save" inside this diretory. then run the file DISC and configure sound and enjoy!
see ya
Mike
[/b]

Guest 18-05-2007 08:48 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ May 17 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]290609[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It was:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Archangel Michael @ Sep 21 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]256549[/snapback]
Quote:

see ya
Mike
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
e looked at the fil
Hi Mike

Thanks for your response. I should explain (and apologise) for the fact that i am an entire idiot where it comes to technology. I have looked at the files and can find nothing matching what you say, which i am sure is my failing not yours!

I downloaded the games from bestoldgames. do I need to delete and start again from a different download? I would be very grateful if you could help this damsel in destress and post some step by step idiot proof directions from download to game working and saving.

Thanks again, sorry to be a pain :sos:
Hayley

The Fifth Horseman 18-05-2007 02:27 PM

1. Make sure the game was unpacked to DISCWLD directory on your C drive. If it's elsewhere, move it to C and rename the directory to DISCWLD.
2. Make sure that insive the DISCWLD directory there is a SAVE directory. If it's not there, create a new directory and name it SAVE.

And that's all there is to it.

Oh, and just in case... no problems with sound?

Guest 17-06-2007 06:37 PM

Umm... I'm having problem installing the game.

Everytime I click 'install' it says 'cannot open DW_1. RNC'.

My friend has the same problem.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Brynn 04-07-2007 10:45 AM

I just love the game and its humour, but I'm getting desperate with a part in Act I. I can't find a way to get off the rooftops. Most probably the way to get down from there is the easiest thing in the world, but I just can't seem to find it. Help, anyone?

Paco 04-07-2007 10:48 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brynn @ Jul 4 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]297885[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I just love the game and its humour, but I'm getting desperate with a part in Act I. I can't find a way to get off the rooftops. Most probably the way to get down from there is the easiest thing in the world, but I just can't seem to find it. Help, anyone?
[/b]
The Windows to the left from Rincewind Arrival Point is the Exit.

Brynn 04-07-2007 10:57 AM

Whoa, that's what I call fast help :D
Thanks, I've tried clicking on that before but apparently hit the wrong place. Now I can continue the game :brain:

Paco 04-07-2007 12:11 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brynn @ Jul 4 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]297887[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Whoa, that's what I call fast help :D
Thanks, I've tried clicking on that before but apparently hit the wrong place. Now I can continue the game :brain:
[/b]
That is Strange. O_o

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MeXX @ Apr 12 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]286756[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

:ok: sacht mal kann man bei discworld auch deutsch einstelln??

bitte um antwort thx

Translation in english:

tell me can i change the setting to german?

thank you for a answer

[/b]
The Answer is no, because this version has only english text. But there is another Version from Discworld with 4 Language (German/French/spanish/italian).

That gave me a Idea, so i tried to change the language with my version:

For Example i changed the File French.txt with English.txt and renamed it (French to english and english to french. In Game i choose the French and the Language changed to english so it worked. That work too with other Language you need just renamed the txt so accordingly.

So it is possilbe to have 5 txt-File in a Game that has 4 Language to choose (doesn't know how to add 5. Language in Game) and it is better than a Version that only 1 Lanugage to choose has or?

What more i think it is possible to edit the txt-File to change to a Language like polnish or other Language.

So my Question is:

@Horseman or another Admin Is it possible to uploads this Version (the SAVE-Folder is already added) with a little Guide (for the Language change; For that i will need help because my english is not so good)?

The Fifth Horseman 04-07-2007 12:51 PM

Might be possible, but it's better you talk to one of the updaters about it.

Guest 09-07-2007 02:42 AM

i need help
stuck on act 2 where you have to get the password so that the door keeper lets you in. i got the glass and i use it on the drainpipe but i still don't get the password when the thief and door keeper are talking :(

Paco 09-07-2007 10:07 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 9 2007, 04:42 AM) [snapback]298563[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i need help
stuck on act 2 where you have to get the password so that the door keeper lets you in. i got the glass and i use it on the drainpipe but i still don't get the password when the thief and door keeper are talking :(
[/b]
Before that you need to "Use" the Pipes near the Door so you can hear better.

Guest_martin_* 17-07-2007 06:26 PM

say, has anyone had the same distorted sound as I? I got the HOTU version for the voices, and it all worked immediately. but the voices and sfx are extremely distorted.... no matter how I change the audio settings in both the game and my dosbox.conf. (I'm using dosbox on a linux machine, btw). This is the only dosbox game which gives me this kind of trouble....

Guest 17-07-2007 06:39 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_martin_* @ Jul 17 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]299925[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

say, has anyone had the same distorted sound as I? I got the HOTU version for the voices, and it all worked immediately. but the voices and sfx are extremely distorted.... no matter how I change the audio settings in both the game and my dosbox.conf. (I'm using dosbox on a linux machine, btw). This is the only dosbox game which gives me this kind of trouble....
[/b]
whoops, sorry - forgot to apply the patch. should have rtfm beforehand :)

Guest 24-07-2007 04:23 PM

has anyone worked out the sounf problem.
I am playing using xp and downloaded it from here

_r.u.s.s. 24-07-2007 06:13 PM

well you need to use vdm sound for that like technical notes on the end of the review says

Guest 26-07-2007 07:11 PM

i'm having trouble downloading it...
it says it's installed but i can't find it anywhere to play it.
am i doing something wrong? :S

The Fifth Horseman 27-07-2007 12:20 PM

Your problem description is insufficient for us to provide a proper answer.

Please answer the following questions:
1. What operating system do you have?
2. Did you try using VDMSound or DosBox to run the game?
3. What exact steps did you follow when trying to run the game?

Guest 29-07-2007 05:06 AM

Hi all, Heh, once again, I'm haveing issues with that bloody english.smp file missing, and I can't just run the decoder in windows, since i have Vista, and Vista dos'nt play nice with DOS programs. Any suggestions?

Mighty Midget 29-07-2007 05:47 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 29 2007, 07:06 AM) [snapback]301778[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Hi all, Heh, once again, I'm haveing issues with that bloody english.smp file missing, and I can't just run the decoder in windows, since i have Vista, and Vista dos'nt play nice with DOS programs. Any suggestions?
[/b]
Yes. Set up a dual boot with XP on the other partition. I did and it works like a charm ;)

Guest 29-07-2007 06:20 AM

Hehe, sadily, that's not quite the answer i was hopeing for :-D Does anyone have that file handy? i don't know how large it is...

Balious 01-08-2007 12:26 PM

this is a great game! but i want sound to play the game... can anyone help? :sos:

The Fifth Horseman 01-08-2007 12:45 PM

Then grab the one from HOTU.

Guest 02-08-2007 12:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 1 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]302272[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Then grab the one from HOTU.
[/b]
Hehe, I've tried that, but i'm still missing that bloody English.smp file, I even installed it over on a Windows XP machine, but still nothing. Any help and I'd be in your debt!

Tom

The Fifth Horseman 02-08-2007 01:18 PM

The one on HOTU needs a patch (downloadable from the review page). Make sure you get it as well.

Tom90deg 03-08-2007 06:40 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 2 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]302428[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

The one on HOTU needs a patch (downloadable from the review page). Make sure you get it as well.
[/b]

I got that, At least i think I did. I'll try reinstalling from the begining on the XP box, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all of your help! I really want this to work, I loves me some discworld :)

Tom

tormentor 07-08-2007 05:26 AM

Rincewind is a great character. To bad they didn't use him in the 3rd installment Discworld Noir

songnar 07-08-2007 09:04 AM

Indeed, Rincewind is the greatest, hahaha, I rather do find myself taking his outlook on life quite often, though it usually makes the world quite blurry. Ah, well, no matter as long as I live, eh?

jemmi_jemjem 27-08-2007 01:07 PM

i have managed to get sound to work, but the really odd thing is that the TEXT is all in spanish or something! if i don't configure the game to have sound, then the text reverts back to english. am i the only one coming across this problem? how do i fix it?

pocketpython 29-08-2007 11:01 PM

if anyone is getting distorted sound, crashing or a missing "english.smp" file.

you MUST download and run the patch - there was a known issue with some versions of the game, I seem to remember having to send my CD back to the manufacturer (it was sent back with the patch you will find on the game page.

Slightly OT, if some of the puzzles don't make sense, blame it on the Aussie design team, Even Pratchett himself was quoted as saying he found their sense of humour hard to understand!

Guest 01-09-2007 10:50 AM

The HOTU version of Discworld 2 is a waste.

They took out all the sound, music and voice files to shorten the download its not really worth it without all the sounds. Besides I hear Terry Pratchett has agreed to make both games Abandonware and the guys over at ScummVM are negotiating for the source codes for both games.

Any chance that DW 2 will be on Abandonia with everything included?

Dave 01-09-2007 12:07 PM

Well...we approved it on requests so the first step has been done, probably on site you'll see a rip version...but maybe on ISO cellar :whistling:
You have to wait, we need a review, some screenshoots and we need a good soul that wants to upload it ^_^

Sephira 04-09-2007 01:29 PM

*sigh*

So I DL this from HOTU right, cuz I've played the Playstation version (though not all the way through) and I know how awesome the sounds are so I don't wanna skimp out. So I install it, sitting pretty in DISCWLD on C drive.

I try running "DISC.BAT".

It gives me a black screen for a few, then minimizes itself.

Thoughts?

Sebatianos 04-09-2007 01:49 PM

I guess you should talk to people at HOTU for that. We can not be responsible for anything they put up (besides, we have an archive of our own).

The Fifth Horseman 04-09-2007 02:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sephira @ Sep 4 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]308784[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

*sigh*

So I DL this from HOTU right, cuz I've played the Playstation version (though not all the way through) and I know how awesome the sounds are so I don't wanna skimp out. So I install it, sitting pretty in DISCWLD on C drive.

Thoughts?[/b]
#13189th repeat of: You didn't use DOSBox. :bleh:

Sephira 04-09-2007 03:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 4 2007, 07:09 AM) [snapback]308789[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sephira @ Sep 4 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]308784[/snapback]
Quote:

*sigh*

Thoughts?[/b]
#13189th repeat of: You didn't use DOSBox. :bleh:
[/b][/quote]

AGH!!
:wallbash:

<-dumb, sorries

The Fifth Horseman 04-09-2007 03:58 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sephira @ Sep 4 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]308796[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

AGH!!
:wallbash:

<-dumb, sorries
[/b]
Beginner's Guide to DOSBox ^_^

Ghim 05-09-2007 03:00 AM

That one really is a nice Game!
I installed it and ran it with VDMS as instructed, the saves seem to work as well and I even got some music and had no Problems with bugs so far.
I'd like to hear the voices, though ... -.-""
I haven't tried the underdogs version yet - does it require DOSBox, or is it possible to run it otherwise? VDMSound is far more comfortable^^

pookie0703 05-09-2007 03:27 AM

I read the books but never really played the games. Thanks for this

Ghim 05-09-2007 11:27 AM

Isn't it possible somehow to get the voice files separately into this version?

The Fifth Horseman 05-09-2007 12:13 PM

The version on HOTU has voices.

Ghim 05-09-2007 12:29 PM

I know that, but i'd prefer to play this version here - so i wanted to know if it is possible to get the files into the abandonia-version somehow^^

The Fifth Horseman 05-09-2007 01:18 PM

Maybe, but nothing certain.

Ghim 05-09-2007 01:24 PM

It won't help to copy the file from the HOTU version in here, would it?
This Abandonia version doesn't necessarily need DOSBox, the HOTU does - therefore not compatible, is it?

_r.u.s.s. 05-09-2007 01:31 PM

well, but copying of the the voice files only could work

Kelsey 13-09-2007 08:41 AM

I just started and i dont know how to get a library card. please help. :sos:

TheChosen 13-09-2007 08:43 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kelsey @ Sep 13 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]310564[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
First of all, find the closet. It is on near the doorway that leads outside the university. Inside the closet, you'l find a broom. Take it and use the broom to wake up the Luggage. Look inside Luggage and you will find a banana. That will do as a library card.

Kelsey 13-09-2007 09:14 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Sep 13 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]310567[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kelsey @ Sep 13 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]310564[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
First of all, find the closet. It is on near the doorway that leads outside the university. Inside the closet, you'l find a broom. Take it and use the broom to wake up the Luggage. Look inside Luggage and you will find a banana. That will do as a library card.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks heaps. You are the best :ok:

Guest 23-09-2007 11:58 AM

Argh. Tried to download the HOTU version, but it says ZIP file is corrupted. Is there any way around this? (Or is it, more likely, me being stupid and not working it out?)

Guest 23-09-2007 01:31 PM

No worries, I got it working. :) Feel free to ignore the previous post, but note that on HOTU, only the BitTorrent version actually works.

_r.u.s.s. 23-09-2007 02:02 PM

actually its same as the version on their server but their upload is just all messed up

Guybrushgurl 13-12-2007 02:36 AM

i'm new here and this is one of the games i downloaded but i can't play it! Each time i try to install it, it says that it can't open a certain file and then closes.....

Why does it keep doing that?? :confused:

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2007 07:22 AM

I think reading prior posts in this discussion may be of great help to you...

Guybrushgurl 13-12-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 287077)
Umm... I'm having problem installing the game.

Everytime I click 'install' it says 'cannot open DW_1. RNC'.

My friend has the same problem.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Has anybody ever solved this problem? If so, how?

Please, I'm not very good with getting dosbox or anything like that to work.... sry

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2007 09:50 AM

There is a DOSBox tutorial stickied in the Troubleshooting forum. You might want to read it.

Also, try searching in the Troubleshooting forum for threads about Discworld - it's possible that one of them might have a solution to your problem.

Guybrushgurl 13-12-2007 11:00 AM

Ok, I got it to work!! Thanx for all ur help! Sry about the trouble

crudnik 02-01-2008 01:17 AM

Need A hand with Personal Inventory

Can't seem to put anything into Rincewind's Personal Inventory. Clicking (L/R) simply does nothing. It means I cannot finish certain parts of the game.
I have been using VDMS and Dosbox.
thanks

blackboard 02-01-2008 07:10 AM

I played Discworld a few days ago using Dosbox 0.71 and Rincewinds inventory worked fine. Did you enlarge the inventory window? (Pull the borders) Otherwise it might get full with the pouch and the pick-pockets icon.
You should be able to simply drop objects into the window with a left click.

The only other problem I can think of is that Rincewind can only carry limited number of objects (I think two), so if its inventory is full you might have to move something into the chest.

b_b_champ 16-07-2008 12:11 AM

i downloaded discworld from this site and when i ask it to install it starts to but then comes up with a message saying " cannot open: DW_1.RNC " HELP!

tomfoolery katie 06-10-2008 07:05 PM

Hello, people of Abandonia!

I'm new to abandonware and admittedly technologically inept. I downloaded the game and began playing using Japofran's directions on the FAQ's for "wtf IS dos bOX AND DOES IT WORK ON wIN xp??? (DA MOVIE)" by dragging and dropping the executable file into dosbox's shortcut. Everything works great until I finish Act I, then I am automatically sent to the map of Ankh Morpork and can't go anywhere. Mini Rincewind moves, but the place names no longer hover over the right areas and I'm stuck. I don't even make it to the dragon summoning ceremony. I was unable to find a solution to this on any of the threads. Can anyone offer some advice to this confused newbie?

I love love LOVE Pratchett and adventure games and would love to be able to actually play the game! Sorry for my lack of dosbox savvy, (and my lack of computer savvy in general), and thanks a ton for any help or solutions!

dosraider 06-10-2008 07:12 PM

Not 100% sure about what I'm gonna say here ...
But I don't think that Discworld will ever work swell with the drag/drop method.
You probably better use the mount command in dosbox.
Learn about it there:
>A beginner's guide to DosBox<

tomfoolery katie 06-10-2008 10:12 PM

Thanks a bunch, Dosraider!!!

I followed all of the directions and was able to go through the first act again. However, when Rincewind takes the dragon finder, I get sent back to the Norton Commander. Perhaps I clicked on the wrong exe file to start the game?

Thanks again for your help!

Fubb 06-10-2008 10:24 PM

I love Discworld :) Tis a very funny game

dosraider 06-10-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomfoolery katie (Post 339241)
...Perhaps I clicked on the wrong exe file to start the game?

Don't think so, you can only run it two ways,
or with disc.bat
or with dwb.exe
Doesn't matter I thought how you run it.

As for your problem, I don't remember having that problem, so if none can help you further ... ough.
Could be that you have a corupted savegame file, maybe try from a earlier one?

SlowCoder 01-11-2008 10:06 PM

After something like 10 years, I'm trying this game out again.

So far, I'm having some difficulty enjoying the game. I'm finding some humor in it, but much less than I think I should be, based on the books it's based on, and my previous experience with the game.

And I'm having problems putting together the what-to-do next stuff, and am finding myself forced to refer to walkthroughs to make the connections. This is not a problem I commonly run into with many other adv. games.

At this point, I can't blame the game, but it feels like I just got tossed into the middle of a disjointed plot.

Probably just me ...

Aliva 09-11-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest_Mort_* (Post 256151)
It seems I am suffering from the same problem as a few other people...
When I join the dragon summoning ceremony I end up in the cut-scene at the start of the game (with the drunk bumping into death, then getting roasted alive, then to the UU and eventually the bursar comes to Rincewind's room and wakes him up) and then the game freezes.

Yes, exactly the same problem here (Windows XP SP2); tried to run with VDMS and without it, the summoning cut-scene always repeats exactly the game intro, and I find myself in the beginning of Act 1, and then game freezes on me. If I try to Esc during the cut-scene, the game freezes anyway.

The HOTU links no longer exist.

Any ideas how to bypass this cut-scene completely? Or where to get the working game archive? :(

Pretty please?

rozp89 06-12-2008 11:39 PM

Does anyone have a link to the HOTU version, or is anyone willing to upload it as a torrent? :max:

Roz

_r.u.s.s. 07-12-2008 12:03 AM

if you know what does hotu mean i guess you could get the link=P

Luchsen 07-12-2008 12:32 AM

If I knew how large the HOTU version is, I could look if I have it.

Luchsen 07-12-2008 06:30 PM

download

Sputnik-131 20-12-2008 10:51 PM

Thanks for the link to the download!

By any chance would you also have the link to the decode.exe fix that is mention on HOTU?

I've given this download a try and looks like it needs this fix also and the HOTU site's download is down.

Thanks

Luchsen 22-12-2008 05:18 PM

Should be here (at my HDD) somewhere. Starting search. :clock:

Sputnik-131 15-01-2009 12:33 AM

Hi Luchsen,

Did you have any luck finding the decode.exe fix?

Thanks

red_avatar 15-01-2009 05:52 AM

I may have that file on my hard drive but I can't garantee this - I'll have a look this afternoon.

n1k4r0 28-01-2009 07:04 PM

hi everybody,

i'm here again with the 'save' thing hoping to help someone.

i'm an osx user and to play dos games i use a program called Boxer. now, i've tried all the save-problem solutions i've found here but none of them worked for me, i was able to save (because the save file was in the correct folder) but unable to load because the list was empty. but i've found a solution that worked for me.

i have a copy of this game that is an ISO of the cd (i don't think is the same version that is here) so i made a fresh new install from the cd. then tired of the can't-save thing i look inside the two main EXE with an hex editor and find out that the program search the save folder inside a folder called C:\DISCWLD.CD so i created it and put inside it the save folder and now i can save and load and also the game itself saved the configuration file inside that folder.

hope that this can help some other boxer user to solve this problem :thumbs:

bye

UnregisteredMark 13-03-2009 10:45 PM

Disworld

I'm one of the lucky ones who bought the original CD version of the game when it was still new, and I still sometimes get the game out for a run through. This means I'm lucky enough to have the entire sound set with voices and can save and load games perfectly. What I can confirm with my copy of the game is what n1k4r0 discovered above. The CD version of the game creates the folder C:\DISCWLD.CD with a SAVE subfolder. Not only that, all the sound drivers are copied from the CD into that folder, and this is where there is a bit of a problem. If you try and run the game in dosbox, it won't install correctly. Whilst I am not sure, I think the setup program uses the dos XCOPY command to copy the drivers to the hard disc, but that command is not implemented in dosbox. At any rate, it tries to do something that dosbox does not like.

There is a simple workaround. After installing the game, exit it and then copy the contents of the DRIVERS folder on the CD to the DISCWLD.CD folder, then run CONFIG from that folder to set up the sound, then start the game again. This time the sound will work. Please note that this ONLY applies to the CD version of the game. If you havethe floppy based version of the game (from here) the fix does not apply as the install program copies everything to the correct place without needing dos commands

TheSurgeon 06-04-2009 06:31 PM

Sound

I seem not to be getting any sound.

What am I doing wrong?

arete 06-04-2009 06:44 PM

I think the sound has been taken out of this version, because of bandwidth constraints.

TheSurgeon 07-04-2009 07:38 AM

Too bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 358969)
I think the sound has been taken out of this version, because of bandwidth constraints.

Too bad. I have another version, but it doesn't work without SCUMMVM

They once had in plan to do the Discworld, but it seems that they, for unknown reasons to me, had dropped it out of their plans.

BranjoHello 07-04-2009 11:50 AM

I think I got my version from HOTU back in those days, and it did have sounds included, all that in around 100 MB.

Btw. it's a great game, lots of fun. :thumbs:

El Quia 07-04-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranjoHello (Post 359024)
I think I got my version from HOTU back in those days, and it did have sounds included, all that in around 100 MB.

Btw. it's a great game, lots of fun. :thumbs:

Yup, I had that version and I remember that it took forever to uncompress :D. But it had all the voices that, in my opinion, added a LOT to the game. Some voices were more or less forgettable, but there were some that were absolutely hilarious! The jester is one (Chucky, especially, "Oh, Chucky, Chucky Chuckyyy! :D), the old adventurers, etc. It's a shame that I lost it, amongst other HotU games :(

Erich Zann 28-04-2009 09:49 AM

- I got rid of the dragon ! I want my reward !
- Dragon's don't exist.
- Yes they do !
- No they don't !
- Yes they do ! They exist if you believe in them !
- AHEM !
LOL

Great game and the best of the three Discworld games. It totally recaptures Pratchett's spirit. The second one went too obviously Monthy Python to my tastes. Third one's cool but they should have made it a Garrett (Glen Cook) adventure, setting was perfect for it.

Gottle of geer ! Gottle of geer ! Mister pencilhead sez hello !

Zambza 03-05-2009 03:53 PM

Does this work on Vista?

I try to start the DWB.exe when it says that C:\DISCWLD\DWB.EXE This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose `Close` to terminate the application. What to do?? Help plz...

Luchsen 03-05-2009 04:06 PM

Use DOSBox.

GeorgeL 21-05-2009 01:58 PM

Discworld

I have the English.idx and English.smp from another version of Discworld I downloaded.
Is there a way to put these sound files with the Abandonia's version of the game so I can have speech and sound in the game?

_r.u.s.s. 21-05-2009 02:15 PM

sure you can, just place them in there

GeorgeL 21-05-2009 02:35 PM

Discworld

I put the English.idx and English.smp files into the Abandonia's Discworld folder and I then clicked install. I ran the game with Dosbox but I still could only hear the music.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

_r.u.s.s. 21-05-2009 02:48 PM

put the files into installed game, not into the install packages..

GeorgeL 21-05-2009 04:20 PM

Discworld

Do you mean that I should put the sound files into Dosbox since that is where the game is installed?

_r.u.s.s. 21-05-2009 04:32 PM

no, the location where the game got installed

when you installed the game it asked for location to install to, where is it? put the files into DISCWLD folder that got created after the installation

Gamma-Hamter 02-06-2009 02:02 AM

Hi. It seems i have a savegame corruption problem. I saved in the Inn location in ACT III and after i load the game, it immediately crashes as soon as i ty to move. Maybe somebody knows of any solutions or knows where to download ACT III savegame files?

_r.u.s.s. 02-06-2009 02:06 AM

send us the save, host it on some external website like sendspace.com

Gamma-Hamster 02-06-2009 02:20 AM

http://rapidshare.com/files/239813980/SG.1.html

_r.u.s.s. 02-06-2009 10:59 AM

wow dunno, going to try it with different version of discworld when it finishes downloading

_r.u.s.s. 03-06-2009 03:25 PM

nope, tried full discworld iso and doesn't work neither. seems you're somehow stuck there

Gamma-Hamster 03-06-2009 05:20 PM

Sucks. I was almost at the end of the game. I don't think i have enough patience to start all over again. :(

Well, thanks anyway.

arete 03-06-2009 05:30 PM

I didn't keep my savegames, otherwise I'd send you some. I had a similar thing happen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The savegame wouldn't let me go back down to the ground floor of the chateau. I gave up in a huff. :)

_r.u.s.s. 04-06-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster (Post 368234)
I was almost at the end of the game. I don't think i have enough patience to start all over again. :(

http://www.thediscworld.co.uk/saved.htm

Gamma-Hamster 04-06-2009 05:15 PM

Isn't if for Discworld Noir?

_r.u.s.s. 04-06-2009 05:36 PM

oops, didn't notice that. well i believe if you google around you will find savegames for discworld, it's kinda famous game

monsterloop 09-07-2009 12:10 PM

Serious crashing problemos near end of Act I...

Nearly finished Act I but now it is crashing every second scene (ie: when I shift location). Have restarted several times, but no dice... DOS message is "Discworld cannot find...[then, depending on which scene it is a different file, eg: "detector.gra'!!"

Has anyone else had this. I note a number of posts re. savegames, but this doesn't seem to be a savegame problemo...

Cheers

PS: AWESOME to see this old game again, despite the bug. :rocks:

AnonMQB6YA 21-07-2009 03:12 PM

I'd just like to point out that I've found a copy of what appears to be the full CD version, with voices @
http://coucouille03.free.fr/rlz/Disc...The%20Game.rar

AnonMQB6YA 21-07-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonMQB6YA (Post 376924)
I'd just like to point out that I've found a copy of what appears to be the full CD version, with voices @

How I installed:
a) Unzip discworld.zip to C:\DISCWLD\
b) Copy and replace DECODE.EXE in C:\DISCWLD\DECODE.EXE
c) Ran C:\DISCWLD\UNPACK.BAT (commented out "call config.bat")
d) Copy (and replace) English.idx in C:\DISCWLD\ENGLISH.IDX
f) Setup DosBox with: core=auto cycles=max sbtype=sb16 (and the rest at default)
g) DosBox: mount C: C:\
h) run config.bat, MIDI set to SoundBlaster 16, digital to SoundBlaster 16. (autoconfigure on both)
i) run disc.bat

2501 14-08-2009 06:53 PM

Silly Prob with Installation

Hey Guys,
Would be nice if you could help silly little me.
I downloaded the file from here (just today), extracted it via Winrar and tried to install it through dosbox (and yes, I'm capable enough to handle that thing^^)
BUT: It tells me, that the directory C:\DISCWLD could not be created. Also I can't change the path.
Haww... I love Pratchett, hopefully someone can help me? Pretty please?
Ah, yeah, by the way. I read all my way trough the comments and didn't find a solution. Although I think someone else had an similar Problem, even if not exactly the same.
Thanks in advance!

greetings

2501 14-08-2009 07:13 PM

oh, great

Alright, found the solution (until now) by my self... (great, now I'm sorry for posting -_- sorry)
I didn't even need Dosbox for the installation. Just clicked on it normally and suddenly I could even change the path... I don't get it.
Now I'm curious if get the sound to work...
Well, thanks anyway for reading ;-)

Mbb 18-09-2009 09:35 PM

Help?

Hi, I might just be stupid, but I don't know how to save the game... Help anyone?

zirkoni 19-09-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbb (Post 383158)
Hi, I might just be stupid, but I don't know how to save the game... Help anyone?

F1 -> Save this game?

Also:
Quote:

Originally Posted by The review
To save and have sound, do like so:
After installing to folder DISCWLD, make a folder titled SAVE.

Kyokudo 19-01-2010 10:03 PM

I think I'm being really dumb with this, but...
I downloaded and installed after extraction.
Yet everytime I try and run DWB.EXE it says it can't run in full screen mode.

So I've checked all compatibility things and even de-checked and switched things up to try and get it to work.

But to no avail.
I'm running Vista Home Premium.

I'd love to play this again... such nostalgia!

dosraider 19-01-2010 10:14 PM

Run the game in dosbox.
Some help for you: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Kyokudo 19-01-2010 11:23 PM

Installing via DOSbox now, wish me luck!

fleabag 24-02-2010 05:39 PM

Help!!! I downloaded the game and installed it on my computer, and configured the sound card settings correctly,but wonder of wonders...when I run the program, I get no sound whatsoever! What gives? Everything else seems to work correctly. I have the sound card settings correct (I know because they work on my other games).And before I forget, where can I get a manuel for it?

Luchsen 24-02-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 358969)

Go to the ISO Cellar to download the full version.

mike100demia 06-12-2010 07:51 PM

discworld

discworld and discworld2 are currently for sale, running in all versions of windows from Classic Gaming Presents. does that mean that they are not abandonware.

The Fifth Horseman 06-12-2010 09:01 PM

No, it doesn't. That site is not a legitimate distributor. More than that, they're little more than a clever scam - once you read the fine print, it turns out what you're paying them for is a pre-made DOSBox configuration stuck onto a pirate copy of the game.

Same applies to their partner site Classic Patch .

Guest 19-08-2012 08:50 PM

Sorry for asking about this on here but can someone please tell me how to download the version from Home of the Underdogs that's supposed to have the voices? I only see the 'Search' button next to 'Where to get it:'... which links to Google and the top link being good ol' Abandonia. Is there not a direct link on HotU? Am I going blind?

twillight 19-08-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 445169)
Sorry for asking about this on here but can someone please tell me how to download the version from Home of the Underdogs that's supposed to have the voices? I only see the 'Search' button next to 'Where to get it:'... which links to Google and the top link being good ol' Abandonia. Is there not a direct link on HotU? Am I going blind?

I don't know how old the link is, maybe it was made before HotU went dismantled.

But as you know what to find and where, why don't you use a search engine to find it?
Btw, I'm pretty sure in the Isocellar section you can find the voiced version on Abandonia instead...

guest 03-12-2012 11:00 PM

Issues with crashing

I recently downloaded Abandonia's Discworld. I've been playing with no problem (except for the game crashing after I save), but every time I get to the cut scene of the dragon summoning when infiltrate the brotherhood, it crashes. They start chanting, you get a close up of one of the robed figures, he disappears and the music continues to a crescendo and then... nothing. It's silent and I'm staring at the background drapes. Has anyone else had this issue? I was so stoked to play this game, this is painful! Haha

(I am running DosBox on Windows 8)

arete 27-02-2013 03:02 PM

Would you post a bit more about your dosbox settings? I didn't have problems with it, but I don't have Windows 8 (and I don't intend getting it any time soon. XD)

I hope your issue gets resolved, because it's a really awesome game ^_^

Discworld 2 should be up soon :whistling:

PrincessCasey 09-05-2013 05:59 PM

A lovely game, pity about the bugs.

After struggling with this one for ages I finally caved and looked at a walk through it turns out that an event had never triggered that was supposed to.

Teeny tiny spoiler but just in case :)

It seems that you have to play the game in a certain order or it won't let you proceed. It's a bit of a pity because it's put me off as I feel you'd need to play with the walk through on your lap. I hate looking at walk throughs* so I probably won't ever get round to doing this which is a pity because I really did enjoy the humor and the graphical style. I will certainly give the sequel a go though, hopefully they've fixed those issues.

* I managed to beat the entirety of Myst without a peek at one.

Guest 09-02-2014 04:30 PM

Voices -- yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonMQB6YA (Post 376924)

Fantastic, down load from link, and followed v good install instructions. and it all works, sound, voices, & saves. Thank you

MartyD82 07-10-2020 10:30 PM

CD Version Upload

Hi everybody,

Unfortunately, it looks like this classic Point And Click game will never see a re-release on GOG, etc. due to it being in copyright hell. So it looks like Abandonware sites are probably the only way to reasonably get a hold of it.

I notice the version hosted here on Abandonia is the floppy disc one, which doesn't have voice acting. So does anybody have an ISO of the CD Rom version (patched to Version 1.04) that they could post? Also, will this ISO work with ScummVM (I want to download James Woodcock's remastered soundtrack)?

(The above download link seems to only work with 32 bit versions of Windows)

Thanks a million!

Smiling Spectre 08-10-2020 01:26 PM

Check Old-games.ru. They even have several versions, including those you need.

Capo 08-10-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 485253)
Check Old-games.ru. They even have several versions, including those you need.

We have it in the Iso cellar, why send people to another site? :lame:

MartyD82 08-10-2020 03:00 PM

The ISO Cellar links appear to be dead now (they are, after all, twelve years old at this point). I was able to get the ISO from here:

https://www.freegameempire.com/games/Discworld-CD

It's clearly the unpatched version, due to the February 1995 timestamp. So I'll probably run the install through DosBox, patch it, and then run the patched version through ScummVM.

MartyD82 08-10-2020 11:14 PM

Nevermind. I didn't realize I needed a 4Shared account to be able to download from the site. LOL.

I have the files from there now. :)

MartyD82 09-10-2020 03:09 AM

Actually, when I try to open the extracted ISO images from the two operational files on the ISO Cellar, I get an error saying "File Corrupted." I unpacked all the WINRAR archives in, I'm pretty sure, the correct order (*.rar, *.r0, *.r1, *.r2) and then ran the batch file to decode them. So I'm wondering if these files aren't compatible with Windows 10 64-bit perhaps?

MartyD82 09-10-2020 09:19 PM

Figured it out. I needed to convert the img’s to iso’s with ISOBuster. I’m all set for right now :)

Capo 10-10-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyD82 (Post 485256)
I have the files from there now. :)

Happy to hear that :OK:

Smiling Spectre 15-10-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 485254)
We have it in the Iso cellar, why send people to another site? :lame:

He said that link is dead. So I found the working one. I didn't think about circumstances described above (but after my post), sorry.

The current time is 08:58 AM (GMT)