Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tex Murphy 1 - Mean Streets (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4372)

wendymaree 11-04-2005 02:13 PM

Tex Murphy 1 - Mean Streets

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Flop 11-04-2005 02:42 PM

I love the Tex Murphy games. They are some of the most underrated adventures ever made, IMO. As this one is the first of them, it really does deserve a place on Abandonia. I prefer the remake, though.

hellchild 11-04-2005 03:57 PM

hmmm, looks like BladeRunner.so much older!anyway i never was fan of adwenture games based in the future(ups, i enjoed BladeRunner) :whistle:

red_avatar 11-04-2005 05:26 PM

This game is quite good - but man I love the Tex Murphy games. When Under A Killing Moon was made, I immediately bought it. Just the thought of a 4 CD game gave me shivers (although the crap Phantasmagoria had 7 CDs and isn't even worth mentioning).

When PCGamer UK reviewed Under A Killing Moon I was dissapointed with the score they had given it - 30% something which is rediculous. I discovered that the reason for this score was simply down to two things: they hated Interactive Movies (always complaining that they weren't really interactive, which is debatable) and they hated the acting).

Now, first about interactivity: the game is of course not freeform interacrive, but it's still interactive. You can walk where you want, talk to people who you want, pick up objects, use objects, travel, etc. That's interactive to me and because it was shot using real actors, to me it deserves the term "Interactive Movie".

About the acting: yes, they have a point that a lot of the acting is quite bad, but that's part of the charm of the game. I actually enjoyed it way more than if it had been perfectly acted. It gave it a B movie style feeling which fits perfectly with the setting and the funny costumes and settings.

All in all, Under A Killing Moon is one of my favorite games ever - and I never really forgave PCGamer for criticizing a game so badly when it has so many great things going about it.

efthimios 11-04-2005 06:06 PM

Although UAKM had the epitomy of pc gaming technology (fmv :bleh: ) to call that game as not interactive is so stupid I am glad I do not like pcgamer LOL
It was far more interactive than most adventure games of its time. And still is.
The acting was not for oscar but it was good enough, and the whole feeling to it was great.

As for this game Mean Streets, it is a good adventure, though I never played it enough, and it is sort of a prequel to Under a killing moon and the rest of the series.

I was surprised to see the graphics from the review though, they appear so much better than the other versions I played.

Erin 14-10-2005 12:10 AM

I love this game! I played this in my early teens and it kept me entertained for months. I remember that the game seemed to last forever and I kept a folder full of notes, names, locations, etc.

I thought the sound effects were great for the time, as well.

Blood-Pigggy 14-10-2005 12:12 AM

There are very few Tex Murphy fans.
Me being one of them, it's hard to fine any others.

Glad to see some people can find these great game.

Fusebox 13-02-2006 03:20 PM

I am a big fan of advernture games, and I've been playing them for almost 20 years now.
I must tell you, Under a Killing Moon is one of the best remembered games. I still occasionally grab those 4 CD's and start playing it all over again. Even Tex's voice, brings me back to that wonderful experience I had with that game.

:ok:

Floyd the Techno-Nerd Rat 24-06-2006 02:34 PM

:max:

Cool!

'nuff said! :ok:

Nutmilk 06-09-2006 09:00 PM

Your review should have included a tehcnical note about this game's use of "true sound", one of the only games ever to utilize a PC speaker for full digital audio, which is quite unusual.

STFM 07-09-2006 04:53 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Oct 14 2005, 10:12 AM) [snapback]167856[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
One here!! :w00t:

Matt v. in Maine 15-11-2006 09:29 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Oct 14 2005, 12:12 AM) [snapback]167856[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Having been a TM fan for may years now, I'd have to say that though TM fans are rare ... especially since MicroSoft bought Access and squashed Tex permanently ... we are special. Too bad nothing ever came of the multitudes of petitions requesting MS to continue the adventure. I guess we, and they, will never know how far Chris Jones could have taken it.

Guest 01-03-2007 07:29 PM

Help! The game asks me for Disk 1. What do I do?

Bastos 01-03-2007 08:15 PM

This is one great game.
Played it a long time ago, and was absolutly hooked.
After weeks playing, I saw the finale... and i must say, one of the best detetive (futuristic) games i have every played.

L8r!

Bastos

Guest_Dave_* 20-07-2007 06:48 AM

I've been looking for the name of this game for years. I played it originally on my IBM PS/2 8086 8Mhz with MCGA graphics card. It was so awesome. I think I was in 6th grade at the time... around 1995-96(I eventually got a real computer at the end of that year which was a DX4 100) but it played great on my computer. I also just found Countdown. Another game from this company that I am going to try to finish now. Thanks to this site!

aretelio 28-10-2008 06:11 PM

This is the first PC game I ever played! I remember it like it was yesterday. On an old Tandy 1000 TL/2. Wow....just....wow!:max:

Sal 31-10-2008 07:40 PM

:(I love these Tex Murphy games too but "Mean Streets" plays soooo slowly on my computer. Has anyone got a clue how to fix this? Thanks

The Fifth Horseman 31-10-2008 08:45 PM

If it's in DOSBox, just increase the cycles. :)

Sal 01-11-2008 11:03 PM

:)Ok Many thanks 5th Horseman

Sal 12-11-2008 12:55 AM

:doh:The game still plays very very slowly. I could finish lunch while waiting for Tex to get from the door to his vehicle..How many cycles would you suggest I have tried up to 2,000,000 and still nothing much changes..

dosraider 12-11-2008 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 342180)
... I have tried up to 2,000,000 and still nothing much changes..

:whops:

That's a bit ... euuuurghh ... a little bit too much I think.
Hit ctrl+alt+del ONCE and look in your prestations tab at your CPU load.
Don't go over some 90-95% CPU load, that's the max your PC can handle.
Go over that and you'll slow things down.
No, it won't hurt your PC to overclock the CPUcycles in dosbox, but it will certainly slow things down.

[Edit]
You do that WHILST your game is running in dosbox, of course.

Sal 12-11-2008 08:33 PM

:)Merci, Merci beaucoup Dos Raider..Ok I will try again.Ithink I should have kept my old computer with Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 it seemed a bit easier back then!!

Sal 14-11-2008 07:06 PM

:)Thanks for the info about the CPU tab Dos Raider. Didn't know about that The game is running a bit faster but I still need to adjust it a bit more.I am a little perplexed..Some very old games run extremely well in Dos Box 0.72 and others won't. Is there any particular reason for this or is it just the luck of the draw..SAL

The Fifth Horseman 14-11-2008 07:26 PM

Enable frameskip.

If the game's native resolution is 640x480, disable graphic scalers and aspect correction, set fullscreen resolution to 640x480 and output to Overlay (faster than Surface) or DDraw (faster yet, but at expense of image quality).

Sal 15-11-2008 08:20 AM

:) Thanks 5th Horseman..What a great bunch of people you all are. I do appreciate your help..SAL

DoomYoshi 30-04-2009 03:41 AM

If you taste the panties, the game questions your sanity...

Frodo 16-06-2009 03:31 PM

You can buy Mean Streets & Martian Memorandum at GOG now for only $5.99. :clap:

gumpy 17-06-2009 05:17 PM

The first and best game in the Tex Murphy series.

I don't really like the remake of this game, Tex Murphy: Overseer, that well... Plus it crashes in XP. :sick:

The Fifth Horseman 17-12-2009 06:15 PM

This game is free from GOG.com until December 24th.

slx 29-11-2017 09:09 PM

Is this game ROLAND MT-32 compatible?

Does anybody know is this game ROLAND MT-32 compatible?
If yes, how can I set up the game to use it? Please, help! I wait for your answer!

rebel_yell 14-04-2020 01:06 AM

The Latest Tex Murphy Game

My very first exposure to a computer game was Mean Streets. It blew me away; I started on a Friday night and didn't stop until the wee hours of Monday morning. I just couldn't stop.

I just thought I'd mention that Chris Jones put out an AMAZING sequel just a few years back called The Tesla Effect. Production was crowd funded and he produced an amazing game that will not disappoint. His website is bigfinishgames.com. Check it out!

Reb

Dragonstar 13-12-2020 01:54 PM

Hello guys
I download the old game Vyruz:destructions of untel empire (4shared) from this forum. Its a cd image but i dont now how i install it. Can someone help me with steps for instalation on win 10?
Thank you

Smiling Spectre 14-12-2020 11:41 AM

Um, it's Windows, so it must be quite transparent at the current systems.

1. Install Daemon Tools Lite to emulate CD.
2. Mount CD-image as virtual CD.
3. Enter this CD and install the game as usual.

The current time is 06:04 PM (GMT)