Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Doom 2 - Hell On Earth (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=5101)

Tom Henrik 21-05-2005 08:14 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + BUY link

UnHoly 21-05-2005 08:58 PM

I'm confused :blink: The game is site for a long time and the topic about it started just now. Why???

samtam90 21-05-2005 09:16 PM

I simply can't agree with the 3... for a masterpiece like this there should be at least a 4. The lack of plot is intentionally: Doom was tought as a mindless shooter and it's the one of the best FPS ever. It's so fun because great level building, secrets, enemies. Mark it whit a 3 only for lack of plot and not as good as other FPS (I think it's absolutely not true, because apart System Shock and few others there weren't shooters as good as this in 1994).

Tulac 21-05-2005 09:33 PM

This is Doom2 if you want to talk about innovation, the first Doom had it, but what's new in Doom2 except levels?

Also why is this topic started now?

UnHoly 21-05-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tulac@May 21 2005, 11:33 PM
This is Doom2 if you want to talk about innovation, the first Doom had it, but what's new in Doom2 except levels?

Eee, monsters and music?? :D For me Doom 2 is much better than the first one, is faster, bigger and more action packed. I think Doom 2 is what Doom was meant to be.

Tom Henrik 21-05-2005 09:46 PM

Simply because this topic had never been created ;)

efthimios 21-05-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by UnHoly+May 21 2005, 09:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UnHoly @ May 21 2005, 09:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Tulac@May 21 2005, 11:33 PM

Eee, monsters and music?? :D For me Doom 2 is much better than the first one, is faster, bigger and more action packed. I think Doom 2 is what Doom was meant to be.[/b][/quote]
I completely agree. Though I liked the first one very much, it was the second one that I LOVED. Partly because of the double barrel shotgun, but also because the levels felt so much better. :guns:

Tulac 21-05-2005 10:07 PM

I'm not saying that the second Doom wasn't great(indeed it's what the first doom should've been), but it isn't revolutionary in any mean, and shooters like hexen and heretic in that time(not sure exactly when they were published) had more innovation than Doom 2...

efthimios 21-05-2005 11:24 PM

Indeed, but that doesn't make them better games does it? In the case you mentioned, Hexen, I liked the game but got bored with it very quickly in relation to Doom 2 (or 1). Matter of taste I guess.

TheGiantMidgit 22-05-2005 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tulac@May 21 2005, 10:07 PM
I'm not saying that the second Doom wasn't great(indeed it's what the first doom should've been), but it isn't revolutionary in any mean, and shooters like hexen and heretic in that time(not sure exactly when they were published) had more innovation than Doom 2...
id did a good job with both hexen and heretic, but, in my opinion, they did a better job with Doom. Doom 2 has alot of innovation. Look at some of the level designs compared to Doom. It was like, in Doom, they were just learning their own engine, and they fully exploited it in Doom 2. Tricks and Traps, anyone?

efthimios 22-05-2005 01:29 AM

Oh man I remember the most scary part (for me) was in that level that you started in a room with many columns and if you walked straight ahead you would reach an elevator (open one) which would go down to a relatively open yard with something like a river on the left side, a big platform on the right with some power ups or something, and as soon as you would take those the huge ceiling would collapse, and several big aliens would appear from all sides and from the top firing at you. Great moment and very very scary for me at the time, not for the monsters or anything, I still can't explain it but it had something to do with the design of that part of the level, yes strange.

Another favourite of mine was when you would fight between what felt like factories or something, very nice. Oh, and that one where there were werehouses full of dead people, or more accurately bones of people, excellent.

BeefontheBone 22-05-2005 10:10 AM

I hated that level - it epitomised what annoyed me about Doom after a while. I'd give Doom 2 a 3 as well - it was what Doom wanted to be but it lost the edge and newness that Doom had, and they started to run into the limits of the engine - some of those levels where they were trying to push it exposed the flaws in it in my opinion, though that's probably more true with hindsight than it was at the time.

Bergamini 25-06-2005 12:34 AM

I bought the Doom Collector's Edition. Fantastic package, including Ultimate Doom (Doom 1), Doom 2, and Final Doom (Doom 3?).

The only thing that disappointed me was the fact it only runs in older Windows systems. Well, it runs on XP, but with no USB mouse support. For my luck, there are ports like zDoom that allows playing with the mouse.

I wanted to play on original MS-DOS, since it was made for it, but we can't get everything we want... At least I'm happy with the port.

Kearnsy 25-06-2005 11:23 AM

The first didnt have a secret Wolfenstien Level thought.
Cant remember where itis but is there.

Gamefreak 25-06-2005 11:47 AM

The secret Wolfenstein levels are in Doom 2 and are accessible from one of the levels there. The second secret level is accessible from the first.

DakaSha 02-07-2005 06:19 PM

if you want to see the wolfenstein level use the -warp commandline thingie and go to level 32(i think... could be level 31)

WildZeppelin 03-07-2005 04:53 AM

Dark Forces (the original) was the best FPS at that time, IMO. It's a shame LA lost it after that.

Bobbin Threadbare 04-07-2005 01:44 PM

Dude, I totally agree with you. Doom 2 is great aswell. Doom 3 has incredibly life-like graphics. It's exellent for people who are looking for a shotter with great graphics. You need a pretty top-notch PC to play it though. Hehe, I'm using Win95 (the smart way to go).

Guest 15-07-2005 12:24 AM

Anyone here ever go to the following websites?

www.doomworld.com
www.zdoom.org

They have Source Ports which can do all sorts of cool things. DOOM is still very popular. Also, there are many many more levels than just those 32 in DOOM 2.

Guest 15-07-2005 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DakaSha@Jul 2 2005, 06:19 PM
if you want to see the wolfenstein level use the -warp commandline thingie and go to level 32(i think... could be level 31)
Wolfenstein is level 31 and Grosse is level 32

These levels are not in the German version due to the Nazi Symbols and the SS Guards.

WolverineDK 15-07-2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jul 15 2005, 12:24 AM
Anyone here ever go to the following websites?

www.doomworld.com
www.zdoom.org

They have Source Ports which can do all sorts of cool things. DOOM is still very popular. Also, there are many many more levels than just those 32 in DOOM 2.

well

for source ports,

Doom Legacy - The Premiere Source Port Engine For id Software's Classic DOOM Games And More!

Doomsday HQ: Welcome!

Enhanced Doom Gaming Engine: Main Page

Latest ZDoom News

PrBoom - Project Homepage

Team Eternity Software - Bringing You the Best Since 1997

Vavoom - the most advanced Doom source port

(i would rather call it the most "advanced" . But it IS a very good source port.)

Guest 01-08-2005 12:54 AM

i dont understand why its 25 bucks when u can download the original doom
:blink:

moogle 01-08-2005 03:14 AM

:whistle: OR when you can get a value pack of bolth for 10 dollars.....

Xikarita 01-08-2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by WildZeppelin@Jul 3 2005, 05:53 AM
Dark Forces (the original) was the best FPS at that time, IMO. It's a shame LA lost it after that.
Although I don't agree completely, I must admit it was a great game... But Doom II gave me the creeps, and Dark Forces didn't :evil:

Gamefreak 02-08-2005 01:18 PM

Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior are better than them both, though. :D

punch999 02-08-2005 07:39 PM

doom 2 was better by far especcially multiplayer wise. My buddys and i in school made are very own doom 2 clan

Guest 04-08-2005 03:18 PM

A very strange thing hapend to me in Doom 1 a few years ago. At all (almost...) aff the levels i killed all the monsters and got the secrets and i unlocked a secret level . :blink: it was very short because it was a boss batle. That ugly thing with hornes that launches misiles form it's arms... The decore was a sinister mix of monster bodies and human remains . Felt like the boss is infincible but ... :not_ok: .A 4 minute level with an already saw boss....
:crazy:

Guest 04-08-2005 03:38 PM

This game has a really confusing story. :D Let me gues....
<<<<spoilers >>>>> You're the though guy from the future special forces that lands on the moon. And u find out that life actualy exist at the moon... alien life. The first enemyes are the members of youre special forces team.... (!?) .... ok so you kill, you kill, and u kill aliens and humans till the alien leader.... a giant spider that shoots with the machine gun.... :eeeeeh: . All is masacred so you have to find some more meat back at earth. And u really find... much than u expected. the moon invasion was just a diversion for our man to leave earth wile the massive invasion of his earth commence.
The game ends after you see the fields of youre planet flooded in (bunny ?!???) blood.

<<<<SPOILERS>>>> Doom 2 starts in a military base at your home. ( probably the special forces center of operation). Again u see the soldiers trying to kill you. And at the end of the level u encounter brown aliens traped in cages.....of course trying to kill you... maybe the aliens escaped trying to conquer the world... or maybe.... OMG why the hell THEY DIDN'T TELL THE STORY IN TEXT AFTER EVERY MISSION...... OK SO U KILL, KILL, AND KILL .... (LOL) ......travelling to the last resistance attack of the aliens....
(sckeletons that dance, light candle men ?????) You're at the last mission, seeking to destroy the alien aircraft and the spawning of machine of the aliens. ( boxes with sckeleton stikers????) this is the last mission that i was at. (DIDNT PASSED IT....) the predictable story of the end of the game is that you destroy the spawn machine ( A HORSE SHAPED WALL????) and the aliens are crushed.... YOURE the saviour of the world and nobody is a live to know that.
:D story is kinda cool but who have to think 10 years to figure it out... :blink:

PirateGame 04-08-2005 03:57 PM

Doom 2 was a good network play game. Dark forces was the best shooter back then. It has clear missions and u know what to do. IN DOOM 2 and DOOM 1 u are supposed only to kill and reach the exit.

Toxik 04-08-2005 04:29 PM

actually the story is different.hav u ever read the manual? :bleh:
shortened its like this:
DOOM 1
ur marine and because u killed ur sergeant you are sent to mars to do nothing..
then the U.A.C. starts matter transport experiments and open the gate from phobos to deimos
the first phase of experiments is finished so they start sending humans.then the things go wrong,cause the soldiers that came throught the gate dissapeared completely or gone crazy and exploded few hours later
U.A.C calls it a minor problem.
then the gates start growing and create phobos and deimos anomaly
soon after that deimos dissapeared from the universe and phobos doesnt respond to radio messages
ur send with the spec ops to investigate
they rush in and die..
now its your turn..
should i write story forr doom 2 and finish the doom 1 story?
dont ban me for this post :tomato:

kreten 04-08-2005 05:18 PM

What's the difference between Doom 95 and Doom 2: Hell on earth? Because I have Doom 95 and when I finished the game, I ended up in this dark room with a ton of bad guys and then the game ended and it told me I had to get "shores of hell" to continue...

Guest 04-08-2005 07:32 PM

hello toxik
:eeeeeh: :wall: :wall: Sorry i was a kid wen i played doom 2 so..... i didnt catched the story because of my poor english from that age :not_ok: . Now i can't get doom2 because it wont work on my pc. :cry: I was confident that there is no explanation of the story because i read many articles that i quote... "a game with no story" . If you're true those articles must suck....big time. :D

or maybe they don't suck... ( i remember one of the article was from this site... :tomato: <don't kill me>)

they meant that it's too many low-brained action too realize the story

too many of this... :sniper: , this :sniper: and some of this.... :Titan: is too bad think

>>>> hope that player manual is on the internet<<<<

Gamefreak 04-08-2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kreten@Aug 4 2005, 05:18 PM
What's the difference between Doom 95 and Doom 2: Hell on earth? Because I have Doom 95 and when I finished the game, I ended up in this dark room with a ton of bad guys and then the game ended and it told me I had to get "shores of hell" to continue...
If I remember correctly, Doom95 is for Doom 1 and is made to play the game in Windows (a fact). And you have been able to play Doom 2 with the Doom95 executable? :huh: :crazy:

Toxik 05-08-2005 08:27 AM

guest i found that manual on the net but i cant tell u where because the king of potato people would kill me..
i actually dont know where it was..

Guest_Mike 05-08-2005 11:23 AM

:D

Guest 05-08-2005 11:26 AM

I got the doom 1 manual but it explains only the introduction of doom. :wall: Exactly what u told me. :ok:

Guest 05-08-2005 11:37 AM

:w00t: Got the doom 2 manual. But i gues it tells the story of the introduction.... :cry:

Toxik 05-08-2005 01:19 PM

once i tried to make a wider story for doom based on the levels and the ending story for each episode
i stoped because noone cared...as usual

Guest 05-08-2005 04:46 PM

I care. :ok: Just didnt wanted to take ur time telling me that big story. Since u dont mind i would really apreciate if you continue. :kosta:

Toxik 05-08-2005 05:30 PM

uh..im stunned!first time i hear anybody say this!
but i seriously think i shouldnt spam this forum with it
maybe i could make a doc or txt file from it and send i t to ur e-mail..or something like that

Guest 05-08-2005 05:55 PM

:blink: your incredibly kind. first person of this genre to meet to. :D

Guest 05-08-2005 05:58 PM

if im not wasting your time.... :D
mihai_92@hotmail.com

:kosta: cheers :kosta:

Guest 05-08-2005 06:00 PM

LOL i wasted my email . :roflol: who cares i see many kind people around this site.

Toxik 05-08-2005 06:22 PM

noone can waste my time because its worthless
dont worry ill write down ur email with a note-send naked men,spam and pictures of my goat/pig/grandma/whatever to this :twisted: :bleh: LOL
and you cloud register so you could PM me and we could stop being :ot:

Guest 06-08-2005 10:22 AM

:D sorry i will never register because i will not be active and my account shall be destroyed. :angry: maybe ill have a chance to get doom on the free doom remake game. If u plan to make terible thnigs to my email no worry, i'm not internet active and nobody sends me e-mail's , so i can make another one. :D

ok, SO STORY TIME. :)

Guest 06-08-2005 10:33 AM

Anybody thinking of travelling to Romania? All things are really cheap but the salaryes are low too. :angry: Any american comming here would have the shoping experience of his life.

Doom1+Doom2+Ultimate Doom= 10 dolars

Toxik 08-08-2005 01:47 PM

it seems to me that this game is somewhat inspiried by H.R. Giger
at least the Final Big Baddie is actually Baphomet from his image called Baphomet

Rogue 08-08-2005 02:15 PM

I don't understand what is so special about this game. Even doom 1 was nothing special IMHO. First FPS that I liked was Duke Nukem 3D, and Dark Force was not bad either, but in Doom you runned around without any good reason.

There is port of both Doom games on GBA.

Gamefreak 08-08-2005 08:42 PM

Doom was the first "supposed-to-be real" 3D game. Wolfenstein 3D wasn't really 3D in the meaning of the word, where Doom compared to Wolfenstein 3D was already further advanced. And the mood in Doom, surviving against tons of enemies and being a hero, it certainly inspired quite many players, as the statistical numbers tell anyway. ;)
Dark Forces and Duke Nukem 3D came later, and without Doom these games wouldn't be here today. Doom started it all, and Doom 2 was a little improved Doom 1 with 1 new weapon and much better levels and more interesting enemies.

Don't forget the roots. ;)

strangelove 15-08-2005 01:30 AM

I can't believe the sacred doom II only got a score of 3! It absorbed way too many hours and was the first game I actually played on a network. Fond memories of blowing the BOFH sysadmins head off with that shotgun.. The only thing about it that wasn't so good was the lack of mouselook, though that was an innovation I don't think any games of the time had - correct me please if I'm wrong, my memory isn't great - and also the lack of plot. What does it cost to hire a sci-fi writer for a week to come up with a plot for you? I can tell you, peanuts! Come to think of it the ending was utterly rubbish too, especially considering how much RSI you'd suffered blasting your way through the huge and seemingly endless levels.

Anyway, I must admit to being totally biased about this game because I spent an ungodly amount of time making levels for it which was absolutely addictive. Sad though it is I must admit I still boot them up from time to time to enjoy the sheer pleasure of gunning my way through a nazi camp full of SS officers and zombies!

That revenant was a scary beast though, anyone nearly brown their trousers the first time that thing ran at you? My personal horror moment was the level where you went up a lift and there was a button and all you could hear was this mad moaning all around you and you just knew, absolutely and without doubt, that the moment you pressed it something really horrific was going to happen. As it turned out the platform dropped and you ended up in a pit full of those horrible pink grunting things with nothing but a chainsaw and a few rounds of ammo to protect yourself!

Seriously guys, 3 for that kind of gaming pleasure? At least a 4 surely!

Gamefreak 15-08-2005 06:15 AM

Completely agreed, a 4 would be more appropriate. I must admit though, that the fan-made expansion to Doom 2 consisting of two parts and called "TNT" and "Plutonia Experiment" has better levels. I played the expansion for ages before I actually got the original Doom 2, so maybe this throws it's color on my own personal note.
Otherwise I must admit, Doom 2 is a great game. Too bad people here can't download it and see for themseves how good it is, I would say therefore the low note. :)

Gamefreak 15-08-2005 06:18 AM

Otherwise, now after looking, I must admit that the screenshots made for the game don't pay it really the tribute. There are many interesting places in Doom 2 that could have been captured, and the ones available there are't really good...

soldier1024 18-08-2005 10:15 PM

If i had a non-pirate version of v1.666 doom2.exe, so i could patch it to 1.9 :)

Who wants to send me a copy?

punch999 18-08-2005 10:35 PM

Dont ask for warez!

Himmler 18-08-2005 11:34 PM

this is the best oldgame fps ever.i remembered i was 8 and stayed up to 11 only to finish a level..it made my childhood perfect...
i recommend to play it with that mod...i don't remember it now...that made it like a fps from our days...

i'll give it 5*
:ok: :cheers:

Toxik 19-08-2005 09:21 AM

i believe you mean jdoom..it rocks!
mouse aim, all 3d,jumping,high resolution

Dabski 22-09-2005 09:50 AM

Don't forget the addon model pack and the 200 MB texture pack that has better quality textures than Quake 3 :D Doom 2 was king for its time, it should have scored at least a 4.5. I don't think most people appreciate it cause their to hold. You had to live in them days to feel the experience, loading it up on your 486 :w00t: Nothing beats that nostalgic feeling

Gamefreak 22-09-2005 02:01 PM

By that time's defaults Doom 1 and especially Doom 2 were much better than many today's 3D shooters, if not in graphics, then most surely in the game fun. For me it's still one of the greatest games I ever played, especially the (official?) addons TNT and Plutonia Experiment where the levels are even better than in Doom 2 - Hell on Earth.

mika 24-09-2005 10:10 PM

Hey guys, check this: http://www.doomrpg.com/ It's a turn-based RPG based in the DOOM universe for mobile phones.

LCP 16-10-2005 04:41 PM

a i beat this game its a bit scary sometimes but i renember that last level its impossible to pass without cheats
my favorite cheat is
iddqd inmortality

Toxik 16-10-2005 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LCP@Oct 16 2005, 06:41 PM
a i beat this game its a bit scary sometimes but i renember that last level its impossible to pass without cheats
my favorite cheat is
iddqd inmortality

thats only for losers(no offense)
that last level actually isnt that hard
just pick up the immortality bonus,then carefully aim with a rocket launcher

LCP 19-10-2005 09:37 PM

there is an inmortality bonus??????

a15drian 27-10-2005 02:18 PM

ok here are some cheats if you wana

iddqd-god
idkfa- give all
idclev+a number(ex:idclev1-32)-level skip the last levels are some bonus idclev31 & 32
idclip: ghost :cheers:

gorkur 27-10-2005 05:57 PM

IDFA - Give all except keys.

Great game, had a 3 hour LAN session with my brother the other day. Brilliant! :Titan:

Jaydev 29-10-2005 07:40 PM

I do agree. The last level is darn tough. It is not that easy to aim when 100 of monsters are firing at ya. But the game is a masterpiece indeed. The levels do have a strong feeling of loneliness, sorrow, pain and DOOM. :D

Tito 29-10-2005 08:36 PM

I remember playing the last level with the respawn option enabled so you could have infinite enemies. Anyway, I could never beat it without the cheats, that last level was very hard.

Gamefreak 29-10-2005 11:36 PM

It's easy enough. You go to that platform in the middle before the "spawnmachine" that raises, save your game and shot with the rocket launcher at the hole where the cube comes out. With some lucky aiming and shooting without stopping, you'll hear Mr. Romero screaming. You can hit through the wall to his head only with the rocket launcher because of the area damage, and BFG doesn't hit him. And if enemies begin to gnaw at you already, load the game and you may hit this time.

Toxik 30-10-2005 12:23 AM

why load?
around the pedestal with the rocket launcher and ammo are 4 green spheres that give you invincibility for a short periond of time.its only matter of aiming then,when you dont need to worry about the enemies

Guest 30-10-2005 01:51 AM

HI i have one question:

Please hear: "Waiting For Romero To Play" midi music from doom 2.
What metal band play the same song ? I KNOW that some band have
identical song - but i forgot the name :(

maybe slayer or pantera ? PLEASE HELP ME !

Gamefreak 30-10-2005 06:58 AM

Maybe Nine Inch Nails? I know they were responsible for Quake 1 music...

Tito 30-10-2005 11:21 AM

Ah, so the problem seemed to be that I was not using the rocket launcher. :blink: Anyway, I'll have it in mind if sometime I play the game again.

Guest 31-10-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gamefreak@Oct 30 2005, 07:58 AM
Maybe Nine Inch Nails? I know they were responsible for Quake 1 music...
no no. its defenitly NOT NIN.
its Ozzy Ousborne / Black Sababth [dont remember] i think. and song name is: "Black Sabbath" - imnot sure in 100% :cry:

Guest 31-10-2005 05:52 PM

#@$@# how to shot with rocket launcher into that hole in head of satan ?
IN DOOM we cannout aiming up or down ! only way is shoot when we are falling down from that "tower" ?

Toxik 31-10-2005 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Oct 31 2005, 08:52 PM
#@$@# how to shot with rocket launcher into that hole in head of satan ?
IN DOOM we cannout aiming up or down ! only way is shoot when we are falling down from that "tower" ?

no,you must shoot in his brain while the "tower" is going slowly up

Kings Quest Woo 02-11-2005 08:52 PM

So the one where they had the bull like creatures and the red face things flying around, was that Doom I oir Doom II? :crazy:

TheGiantMidgit 02-11-2005 09:00 PM

Both.

Tito 02-11-2005 09:00 PM

Both of them have those things, I'm afraid. Doom II had some kind of enemy that looked like a skeleton and burned you, and another one that seemed like a floating head with little arms and spitted burning skulls.

Gamefreak 02-11-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tito@Nov 2 2005, 10:00 PM
Doom II had some kind of enemy that looked like a skeleton and burned you
It's a large skeleton indeed, called Revenant by them, but he didn't burn, he shot nasty rockets that sometimes followed you and sometimes not. Those that followed you did quire more damage.
And the "guy" that shot huge double fireballs was Mancubus, fat, slow and pretty dangerous. He was fast dead with few rockets pumped into him, though.

Tito 02-11-2005 09:25 PM

Well, i was refering to some enemies called Arch-vile (the one that burned you) and Elemental (the one that spitted skulls), but the two you mentioned are also exclusive of Doom 2.

Kings Quest Woo 03-11-2005 04:35 PM

:crazy: The reason I don't know which game is was, Doom I or II is because someone gave it to me as a copy. And I don't have the game now, but I believe it didn't mention it at the beginning, just that it was Doom. Anyways, maybe it was the first level where you step on the platform and all the demons attack you at one time, really no way to make it out alive on that one. Doom I or II????

I'd like to get the game again if possible. Thanks. :ok:

punch999 03-11-2005 05:59 PM

It is ILLEGAL PEOPLE GET IT INTO YOUR SMALL BRAINS!!!!!!!!!

A. J. Raffles 03-11-2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kings Quest Woo@Nov 3 2005, 05:35 PM
I'd like to get the game again if possible. Thanks. :ok:
Get it again:
Doom
Doom II

Gamefreak 03-11-2005 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by punch999@Nov 3 2005, 06:59 PM
He didn't ask for the download link of the game but just to be able to get it. Now who here has a small brain...

bruno 03-11-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gamefreak+Nov 3 2005, 08:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gamefreak @ Nov 3 2005, 08:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-punch999@Nov 3 2005, 06:59 PM
He didn't ask for the download link of the game but just to be able to get it. Now who here has a small brain... [/b][/quote]
you don´t need to be so unplesent, she only try to help...She must be respect, she helps a lot, the people with ideas to solve problems.. :not_ok:

punch999 03-11-2005 11:36 PM

but I know thats not what they were asking!

bruno 03-11-2005 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by punch999@Nov 4 2005, 01:36 AM
but I know thats not what they were asking!
:ot: this is not a topic that belongs here, i think she only help finding the game and i think a insult here is not need....

Kings Quest Woo 04-11-2005 03:47 AM

What I was asking is whether it was Doom I or Doom II and that I used to have a copy of it and I didn't anymore. And I'd like to have it again. It's an old game, probably even "abandonedware" by now. If it's "illegal" to download freeware, shareware or abandonedware then I guess this site is illegal. :sneaky:

Nikson 04-11-2005 03:55 AM

The game is NOT abandonware. So guess again.

Rorschach 04-11-2005 04:34 AM

How about the additional WADs? I have the game proper, and I've looked around unsuccessfully for the 2 "semi-official" Wads that were refered to as "Final Doom": "TNT" and Plutonia. At least I think they were unofficial (created by players and OK'd by ID or something like that), so having the game and getting the additional wads somewhere is not a problem, is it?

At any rate, with the dozens of player wads on the net, I haven't been able to lay my hands on them -- and they were sweet, if the original Doom II was a learning curve in level design, Plutonia was an aphex. ;)

Kings Quest Woo 04-11-2005 08:19 AM

I didn't know if it was abandonware or not. I mean we're discussing it on on a site called abandonia that has abandonware. I didn't know I'd get so much flack from just saying that I wanted the game again.

A. J. Raffles 04-11-2005 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kings Quest Woo@Nov 4 2005, 09:19 AM
I didn't know if it was abandonware or not. I mean we're discussing it on on a site called abandonia that has abandonware. I didn't know I'd get so much flack from just saying that I wanted the game again.
Listen, have you even looked at my previous post? I put in the buy links for both games.

About finding out which game it is: have you checked whether you recognise the screenshots of the title screens at Mobygames?

Timpsi 04-11-2005 09:20 AM

An easy way to differentiate them is that Doom 2 is the one with the double-barreled shotgun.

Then again, it doesn't really matter, as they're both essentially the same game.

Gamefreak 04-11-2005 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by little fish@Nov 4 2005, 12:34 AM
you don´t need to be so unplesent, she only try to help...She must be respect, she helps a lot, the people with ideas to solve problems.. :not_ok:
I'm sorry, but I didn't mean A.J. Raffles with my post :)

Kings Quest Woo 05-11-2005 06:49 AM

A. J. Raffles,Nov 4 2005, 10:13 AM][quote]
About finding out which game it is: have you checked whether you recognise the screenshots of the title screens at Mobygames?

Yes I did and thanks for passing on the information. :ok:

MdaG 05-11-2005 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by punch999@Nov 3 2005, 06:59 PM
So are ALL GAMES ON THIS SITE !!!!

xoopx 05-11-2005 09:48 AM

you can understand how some people get confused about whats acceptable on abandonia and what isnt. the moral arguments are best left to the philosophers.

basically the short answer is if its not for download, you're not going to get it from us, or info of how to get it, so dont ask.

Gamefreak 05-11-2005 11:06 AM

Well, why, the info where to get it by buying is freely shared here :)

Rorschach 06-11-2005 09:08 AM

Better late than never, let me jump to the defense of what is, IMHO, the cornerstone of the shooters!

There were some pleople arguing that Doom II didn't hold its own against games like Quake, Dark Forces and Hexen, but those were all games made AFTER Doom II, so it's doubly unfair argument: a) you can't compare games from different (even if close) times without keeping in mind the advancing resources available to the later games; more importantly, those were all games which FOLLOWED Doom II's wake and the standard it created, which wouldn't have existed without it.

I'm not saying that Doom II (or even I) is the grandfather of all FPS (that title rightfully goes to Wolfenstein 3D), but it's definitely the game that set it as a distinct game genre; all others just expanded (with greater or lesser contributions) on the subject. If memory doesn't fail me, before the term "first person shooter" became common currency, I remember seeing games as Quake and Dark Forces described as "Doom-style games" and such.

My point is, it's like saying the Beatles sucked because they rock music was simplistic and bubble-gum if compared to the complex melodies of 70's progressive rock or 80's metal: The Beatles were not the creators of rock n' roll, but like them or not, rock as we know it, past and present, would not exist was it not for them, the later rock bands owe their existence to them! So it's a matter of giving credit where credit is due, and not just dissing earlier developments simply because they didn't pack as many resources as later ones which, I can't stress that enough, have grown out of the earlier ones!

PS: Won't someone PLEASE direct me to the Final Doom WADs (TNT and Plutonia) as I was asking in my post on the previous page? :whistle:

Rorschach 06-11-2005 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Oct 30 2005, 01:51 AM
HI i have one question:

identical song - but* i forgot the name :(

I checked it out just now, that's definitelly Pantera, "This Love" (from Vulgar Display of Power Album, early 90s). Thought it's not 100% the same music, it's "strongly based" on it to say the least. I remember recognizing it back when I the game was new and I listened to a lot of Pantera. ;)

At any rate, it's certainly not Black Sabbath's namesake song, I was replaying it in my head and can't find the slightest resemblance to it.

Btw, were all those songs present it the game, or where they released separately as extras or something? I played Doom II perhaps a dozen times (it's like freecell to me :evil: ), and I can't seem to remember some of those, like "Message to the Archvile" which, with the proper sound textures filling up the beats, turns out to be great synthpop!

tariqalikhan 08-11-2005 02:02 PM

ok

Sapper8 28-11-2005 02:03 PM

Doom I Episode I level I's music is allmost like Metallica's Master of puppets beginning solo.

Anyways Why isn't doom declared freeware already... It's more than 11 years old by now... either they are stupid enough to ope, that sum1 actually buys it or they are trying to keep the reputation of the game.

Someone asked about "Ultimate doom" It's the full version of Doom I

Gamefreak 28-11-2005 10:21 PM

Well, why don't you ask ID Software why they didn't release Doom for free? They have all rights to do what they want with the game that they released, and eventhough it's old now, it doesn't mean that they have to declare it freeware.

punch999 28-11-2005 10:40 PM

Yes If you had a game that you worked your behind off on then maybe you wouldnt want to release it for free!

Reup 29-11-2005 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sapper8@Nov 28 2005, 05:03 PM
Anyways Why isn't doom declared freeware already... It's more than 11 years old by now... either they are stupid enough to ope, that sum1 actually buys it or they are trying to keep the reputation of the game.
The source code for Doom 1 has been GPL'ed. Download and compile it yourself and there you have it: your very own Open Source Doom engine. You 'just' need to write some quality music and make some decent levels for it :D

Get that Doom 1 Source Code here!

Sapper8 29-11-2005 03:03 PM

Hmm... good point...

JimmyJ 29-11-2005 10:53 PM

Also, ive heard of this "free doom" project, but not sure how good it is

SupSuper 30-11-2005 02:16 PM

IMO best Doom engine is Doomsday, though you need to have the original Doom WADs. Still, old-skool Doom with modern technology R0X0RX YOUR B0X0RX! :D

Guest 08-01-2006 03:47 PM

Not sure if anyone still reads this forum, but I'm trying to find a transcript of the text that appears in the interludes of Doom II. I could feasibly play through the game and write it down, but I thought maybe somewhere I might find them online instead?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

punch999 08-01-2006 08:20 PM

Yes we still read this forum

Miz 10-01-2006 08:39 PM

Actually, Doom II easily exceeds Quake, Quake II, Duke3d, Shadow Warrior, and in my opinion, ALMOST every other modern FPS. Why? The community for it is amazing, and still strong today. Doomworld. People make maps, regularly and more often than most modern games, that include incredible features, such as planting bombs, blasting holes through walls, true swimming, 3D floors, areas that require jumping, jumppads, scripted storylines, and pretty much anything you'd expect to find in a modern FPS.
As for a source port to use, yes, JDoom looks the best, but I'd recommend Skulltag.
Skulltag is under constant development, the upcoming release will kick behind (tons of new maps and gametypes), and it primarily serves as multiplayer port, though it plays SP maps smoothly enough. It adds weapons such as a grenade launcher and a railgun. It comes with a server interface, similar to Gamespy but simpler. There are already hundreds of maps made for it, and game modes include CTF, one flag CTF, Instagib, Last Man Standing, Team Last Man Standing, DM, Team DM, Terminator, Coop, and quite a few more. Honestly, it's much more fun and addicting to play online than you'd think, and I've had people admit that even though they don't play it, it is more fun online to play than pretty much all modern shooters, except Counter Strike Source.
Skulltag

Toxik 12-01-2006 06:44 PM

Well,today I downloaded Doomsday again and played Doom 2 on Ultra violence level.
OMG!The very biggest challenge in FPS I met.

But in the level Crusher(05 or 06,not sure)at the very beggining I encountered strange monster.well,actually it was not strange,it was zombie rocketeer,but the point is that I read many doom relate document and I havent found a notice about this guy.
So,anybody with a copy,could you check if you saw the same beast?

Dark Piedone 12-01-2006 06:56 PM

Does the monster was kinda... looking like a tall skeleton ?

Gamefreak 12-01-2006 07:06 PM

Maybe it's because you downloaded Doomsday and the WAD file of Doom 2 was modified there a little. Unless the monster you met is indeed the Revenant, the large skeleton in red rag pants that shoots the chasing rockets-fireballs things at you. But even then, he wouldn't appear at the beginning levels in Doom 2, only little later.

Toxik 12-01-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gamefreak@Jan 12 2006, 10:06 PM
Maybe it's because you downloaded Doomsday and the WAD file of Doom 2 was modified there a little. Unless the monster you met is indeed the Revenant, the large skeleton in red rag pants that shoots the chasing rockets-fireballs things at you. But even then, he wouldn't appear at the beginning levels in Doom 2, only little later.
Yea I found out that its was modified Revenat,looking like zombie with rocket launcher.
about his appearance in the crusher level,you noticed im playin UV?Thees spider mastermind in the same level-now hes dead :whistle:

Btw,while playing,I got an idea.What about making some kind of doom tournament,like get as far as possible,but with some additional circumstances like level of difficulty,or playing with only pistol,shotgun etc. what you say?

Miz 12-01-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

What about making some kind of doom tournament,like get as far as possible,but with some additional circumstances like level of difficulty,or playing with only pistol,shotgun etc. what you say?
There are people who do that. And crazier. DooM Compet-N. However, most people prefer to play DM, simply because it's much more fun than playing the computer.

Guest 24-01-2006 01:02 AM

How can Doom 2 not get a five? its one of the all time classics. I used to play this game all the time.

gufu1992 24-01-2006 01:05 AM

i KNOW WHERE I know where to get free doom!

gregor 24-01-2006 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Toxik@Jan 12 2006, 07:44 PM
Well,today I downloaded Doomsday again and played Doom 2 on Ultra violence level.

NO, the very biggest challenge will be "Nightmare" level :D

Toxik 24-01-2006 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gregor+Jan 24 2006, 08:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gregor @ Jan 24 2006, 08:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Toxik@Jan 12 2006, 07:44 PM

NO, the very biggest challenge will be "Nightmare" level :D [/b][/quote]
Yea,but that would be plain crazy-I mean,respawn of mosters after few secs?!
On the other side,once you get into it,its not that hard(talking about UV)Im currently in Industrial district and I managed to mess my wad apparently :ranting:

Btw I heard about a guy wo managed to win the game on Nightame with just a pistol :kosta: :kosta: to him...

Bobbin Threadbare 24-01-2006 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Toxik+Jan 24 2006, 06:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Toxik @ Jan 24 2006, 06:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:

Originally posted by gregor@Jan 24 2006, 08:45 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Toxik
Quote:

@Jan 12 2006, 07:44 PM

NO, the very biggest challenge will be "Nightmare" level :D

Btw I heard about a guy wo managed to win the game on Nightame with just a pistol :kosta: :kosta: to him... [/b][/quote]
Woah :blink: . He is cool.

Gamefreak 24-01-2006 10:28 AM

Probably was just running through the level, avoiding the fights if possible. Can't win the war with a single pistol.

Toxik 24-01-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gamefreak@Jan 24 2006, 01:28 PM
Probably was just running through the level, avoiding the fights if possible. Can't win the war with a single pistol.
Yea,but have you ever played it on Nightmare?
Even those silly Imps are deadly then and all shots are much faster...

pete4218 24-01-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Oct 30 2005, 01:51 AM
HI i have one question:

identical song - but* i forgot the name :(

You're right - this theme is taken from Pantera's "This Love" - from the "Vulgar Display Of Power" CD - Tack #5. It only lacks of the Refrain "You kick this love......" Damn great rocker...... :band:

***EDIT*** Damn - didn't recognize the questions has been already answered - sorry !!!! <_<

pete4218 24-01-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rorschach@Nov 6 2005, 10:08 AM

PS: Won't someone PLEASE direct me to the Final Doom WADs (TNT and Plutonia) as I was asking in my post on the previous page?* :whistle:

Get the "Doom Collectors Editition" - contains a full package of Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom (which is TNT and Plutonia).

It's pretty cheap and you get all the good stuff - combined with the Doomsday Source Port it gives you some damn good hours of massive dooming :evil:

gregor 24-01-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Toxik+Jan 24 2006, 12:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Toxik @ Jan 24 2006, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gamefreak@Jan 24 2006, 01:28 PM
Yea,but have you ever played it on Nightmare?
Even those silly Imps are deadly then and all shots are much faster... [/b][/quote]
i managed to get into level 2 :D

i am still thinking if it could be done in coop mode. but i think at least 3 should participate

Toxik 24-01-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gregor@Jan 24 2006, 02:57 PM

i am still thinking if it could be done in coop mode. but i think at least 3 should participate

Dont know much about coop mode in Doom,but I guess it doesnt multiply all those bonuses,so it could actually be harded in some levels-there is never enough ammo and medikits even for one person

BTW I just managed to get 101 percent kills in SUBURBS...Im just too good :whistle: LOL

gregor 24-01-2006 01:36 PM

you can get over 1000% on last level....

well no the health and special items don't revive, but like monsters you respawn too when they kill you (game is not over). and when you respawn you get osme ammo for weapon or is it the ammo you carried to the level form previous one... i can' tremember anymore. anyway level 4 difficulty with 2 players is piece of cake.

plus when you attack a big moster one can attract his shots while the other one is hitting the monster in his back.

scav_engr 01-02-2006 02:59 PM

Man, Doom II was the best. Not sure about the author's review comments but this was a 5 no question. For the 'story' people- I'm the other way- never cared about or care about any 'story' pretty much for any game and didn't miss this in Doom II at all. Story based games bore me and are the ones I never buy or play. Can see what u story people get into- more power to ya, when I come across 'em, I'm doing whatever I can to get past story screens to get to the action >:)

Doom II kept me and a buddy playing 14 hours straight the first day I bought it and broke a wingman joystick (my buddy did) the fire button, that first night. Doom II was creepy all around, and on that crusher level with the column's when you start out, with the sounds, etc, u just knew all the time that bad things were coming and going to happen- LOL, great stuff. For me as Doom II went on, the levels that got bigger and left outside of linear design were less interesting but the enemies spawing kept the game up.

For level 30, last level, u have to get to the top opposite the demon head, hit the switch to activate the lift, then get on the lift and just before u get to the top is where your inline to fire the rocket into the demon's brain. If your late, your shot will hit above the open hole, etc. Once you figured that out, u can finish level 30, but it takes 2 or three shots to do it.

Spent hours and hours playing Doom II and once the wad community could be reached via the inet, played hours and hours more. great stuff. The ports for Doom then gave more hours of playing w/hi res (to 320x240 gfx think it was) and Doom II for me is the best and original fps that ever was. Doom II was more creepy than Doom I, dunno, played Doom II first. Rating- 5.

sc

Toxik 01-02-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by scav_engr@Feb 1 2006, 05:59 PM

For level 30, last level, u have to get to the top opposite the demon head, hit the switch to activate the lift, then get on the lift and just before u get to the top is where your inline to fire the rocket into the demon's brain. If your late, your shot will hit above the open hole, etc. Once you figured that out, u can finish level 30, but it takes 2 or three shots to do it.

The amount he takes depends on difficulty(try warping to the last level on UV)

bruno 03-02-2006 09:43 AM

I love to play in Uv, but with all cheats, but i like to have many monsters to kill.... :cheers:

velik_m 03-02-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by little fish@Feb 3 2006, 10:43 AM
I love to play in Uv, but with all cheats, but i like to have many monsters to kill.... :cheers:
why would you use cheats on UV? it takes away all the fun...

gregor 03-02-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by scav_engr@Feb 1 2006, 03:59 PM
inside that hole is a head on a stick. whose head is that? (use no clip cheat to get to it)

yah Doom 2 is way more spooky. first time i played it i didnt' know about the gamma correction so i turned the lights of and closed the dorrs to my room. got scared countles times when the monsters poped in front of me.

Yah not only you can play in high res but there is also openGL version available.

Gamefreak 03-02-2006 11:57 AM

Everyone can play with cheats. "You can't hurt me while I'm slaughtering you". How heroic <_<
Try better without cheats and live the entire thrill of the danger out, since it's anyway just a game, so why not have fun in it? With cheats games will bore you quickly.

bruno 03-02-2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gamefreak@Feb 3 2006, 01:57 PM
Everyone can play with cheats. "You can't hurt me while I'm slaughtering you". How heroic <_<
Try better without cheats and live the entire thrill of the danger out, since it's anyway just a game, so why not have fun in it? With cheats games will bore you quickly.

If i play with out cheats i didn´t pass the 4 level.... :ranting:

Gamefreak 03-02-2006 03:38 PM

Wow, looks like it's a wrong game for you then :whistle:

Guest_alex 21-02-2006 01:19 AM

DOOM II is a great game!!
it was the first game i got "addicted" to and i still play it sometimes for the action and the nostalgia... i can only say its a great game! :D
i red on a previously posted post that someone completed the game on nightmare with just the pistol, :crazy: , i mean u cant hit the cyberdeamons brain (lvl 30) with it... :)

me and my friend allways used to coop on the lunchbreaks in school, i lived pretty close to the school and quite often the result was that we were late for the next lession :P..

i really dont think the plot is that bad, as someone already have posted.. from what i know its like the doom guy "our hero" (i think thats what he is called, u can see that when uve finished the game and get to end-scene and get a display of all the monsters...) gets back from mars and thinks its all over and finds out that the earth has been attacked by monsters due to some portal to hell or something where the monsters have come from, and its his mission to stop the monsterinvasion.. the only way to do that is to work his way (kill kill kill) to the portal and shut it down which u do when u kill the cyberdeamon..
i think its something like that, and thats not a bad story :) :P

anyway u get to the wolfenstein level from lvl 15 i think, it has been a while since i did that.. if i feel like playing thoose lvls i just load from my savegames :P and i dont know if ill remember how to do it..

and i really think it deserves more than 3.. 5 if it were up to me :)

Gamefreak 21-02-2006 06:04 AM

Started with the editor note. Seems he didn't really have the idea of the game, owner of the site to or fro, his review is bad. The plot is quite capturing because of the grand idea. Violence and big action is in all shooters, but a story like in Doom was to find yet in the shooters of that time. People just tend to forget which games started the 3D hype, and besides, one should play the game entirely through and like it before reviewing it.

bruno 24-02-2006 11:22 PM

The review was a personal opinian, and if you want your opinian respect, you have to respect others opinions...

Scarface 25-02-2006 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gamefreak@Feb 21 2006, 02:04 AM
The plot is quite capturing because of the grand idea. Violence and big action is in all shooters, but a story like in Doom was to find yet in the shooters of that time.
Really??? :blink: I never realized there was a plot until I read it somewhere a few years ago. I thought it was just kill, kill, kill.... :sniper:

And I agree with little fish, the review it's just a personal opinion. You got your own opinion and some people may agree with you.

Guest 03-03-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bergamini@Jun 25 2005, 12:34 AM
I bought the Doom Collector's Edition. Fantastic package, including Ultimate Doom (Doom 1), Doom 2, and Final Doom (Doom 3?).

The only thing that disappointed me was the fact it only runs in older Windows systems. Well, it runs on XP, but with no USB mouse support. For my luck, there are ports like zDoom that allows playing with the mouse.

I wanted to play on original MS-DOS, since it was made for it, but we can't get everything we want... At least I'm happy with the port.

your right, but the old windows 95 and dos versions dont have usb support, but windows 95 and dos had nver heard of usb, and cant run it, o well, zdoom is a good port :)

Erzkanzler 03-03-2006 10:52 PM

Why would one play doom with a mouse? Much better with keyboard or at least joystick

gufu1992 03-03-2006 11:51 PM

I just love our Russian download sites :w00t:
Though-parents don't allow me to play games with gore.... :eeeeeh:
But I'm ok with that! :cheers:

Kankipappa 22-03-2006 04:36 PM

DOOM (DOS version) runs with USB Mouse if you have Win9x, or in DOS USB Mouse support added to your DOS OS. Google for dos usb mouse... mby will work with win95 version? haven't tried. why would i? dos version is better anyway (except the network part).

and what makes doom so good? well with correct sound drivers etc. THE MUSIC.
Bobby Prince really knew how to make good ingame music :)
and looking that some bands even mimic those songs..

and the other thing is a no doubt the multiplayer. deathmatch is so fun and it even has the holy co-operative option -- not many games has it anymore these days.

co-op with nightmare or ultra violence with 4 players is much fun.
3 is underrated too imo.. shows only the lack of experience in this game.. but hey - how all newschoolers would love all oldschool games anyway? CS-players. :sick:

Doug/Guest 27-04-2006 12:10 PM

If any of you are interested...:
www.zdaemon.org

Doom 1 & 2 online :)
Look For "[NBK]D-man" (me) If you need a hand once you got it up.
Good gaming to all, and to all a good night. :cheers:

Guest_will_* 05-07-2006 07:14 PM

:wallbash: wtf i dont understand doom95 an doom an doom 3 have like the same stroyline!!!!!!

The Fifth Horseman 06-07-2006 08:49 AM

Heh. What storyline?

Doom 3 is supposed to be a remake of Doom 1, you know...

Iowa 16-09-2006 02:57 AM

I'm sorry if this question has already been asnwered, but i'm very sohrt on time and can't read the topic.

I got my copy of D2 from a friend who made a data CD for me of it, I installed the game and it works perfectly and all, but it didn't come with the launcher and I want to be able to run WADs.

Is there any way I can find the launcher online, or is there another way to open WADs?

velik_m 16-09-2006 07:36 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Sep 16 2006, 02:57 AM) [snapback]255291[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I'm sorry if this question has already been asnwered, but i'm very sohrt on time and can't read the topic.

I got my copy of D2 from a friend who made a data CD for me of it, I installed the game and it works perfectly and all, but it didn't come with the launcher and I want to be able to run WADs.

Is there any way I can find the launcher online, or is there another way to open WADs?
[/b]
DOOM2 -FILE WHATEVER.WAD

Iowa 17-09-2006 08:55 PM

Ugh, i'm very slow today...sorry. Are you implying that I open the WAD with the Doom 2 application? Because I already tried that, and it just launched a regular game...

velik_m 18-09-2006 08:55 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Sep 17 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]255652[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Ugh, i'm very slow today...sorry. Are you implying that I open the WAD with the Doom 2 application? Because I already tried that, and it just launched a regular game...
[/b]
yes, you run it from a command line "doom2 -file your.wad"

there is usually a text file with a wad to explain what the wad does and how you run it.

some wads just replace sounds and graphics, most replace levels - but not necesseraly the first one(s). (you jump through levels with idclevXX, where XX is level number 01-32).

when doom starts up it writes what it does (loading etc.), see if it writes something like "unable to load wad your.wad"

also make sure it's doom2 wad and not doom1 wad.

r0qu3 24-09-2006 06:34 AM

I see many comments around here, talking about better FPS in the time doom 2 appeared.

I read Dark Forces, System shock, Hexen and so on... Hexen is an follow up by ID itself.

As i remember these days by myself, the mentioned games weren't made yet

there was wolf3d, doom, doom2, some mods of doom and wolf 3d. In the Shareware sector games in the same time were Corridor 7 or Blake Stone both lacking the graphic and level design complexity of doom2.

I was a kid when doom2 hit the stores here, and i EVERYBODY wanted to have it, for its gameplay and graphics. And the main reason was the violence i have to admit. It really set the idea of for example slicing enemies into bits with the chainsaw.

Also no game in this time had this awesome room-feeling.

This game was a real groundbreaking one for the FPS genre....

And dudes, why you wanna mouse support? the games not meant for this...

p.s.: I just remember the release dates of the games here in Germany, they maybe different in US or so...

velik_m 24-09-2006 08:05 AM

system shock was released before doom2. unlike doom2, it featured real 3d engine:

system shock screenshots

and on top of that a real story.

Hexen was written by Raven not Id. (as was Heretic)

Vongoethe 24-09-2006 11:21 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(velik_m @ Sep 24 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]257047[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

system shock was released before doom2. unlike doom2, it featured real 3d engine[/b]
I'm afraid you're wrong my friend. System Shock came out the same year as Doom II - 1994, maybe some months after Doom II. The thing is - Doom 2 is based on Doom, and Doom came out earlier than System Shock - 1993. Besides, System Shock is not really an FPS like Doom but has a 3D RPG engine like Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. You can't correctly compare System Shock and Doom.

velik_m 24-09-2006 01:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vongoethe @ Sep 24 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]257076[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(velik_m @ Sep 24 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]257047[/snapback]
Quote:

system shock was released before doom2. unlike doom2, it featured real 3d engine[/b]
I'm afraid you're wrong my friend. System Shock came out the same year as Doom II - 1994, maybe some months after Doom II. The thing is - Doom 2 is based on Doom, and Doom came out earlier than System Shock - 1993. Besides, System Shock is not really an FPS like Doom but has a 3D RPG engine like Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. You can't correctly compare System Shock and Doom.
[/b][/quote]

doom2: Release date: October 10, 1994
system shock: Release date: March 26, 1994

please explain some more, how wrong i am, my friend.

a 3d first person engine is a 3d first person engine, i've never heard of "3d RPG engine" before.

Vongoethe 24-09-2006 03:01 PM

As I said before, you're wrong because Doom 1 came out in 1993, one year before System Shock. Though they used different 3D engines and the engine of System Shock was more advanced one with much higher processor power requirements, the engine of Doom was more popular due to the nature of it's distribution - with big hype before it came out, and the distribution over the net. Doom was there first, so it is seen as the ancestor of FPS games, and not System Shock or any other weaker FPS of that time.

As for the difference of the engines, System Shock's engine contains many RPG elements that include inventory managment, more complex weapon handling, leaning to the sides and crouching. While it's engine is clearly superior to the engine of Doom, System Shock is clearly not an FPS as in Fast Simple Shooter at Anything that Moves and it's engine can't be compared to Doom or later FPS games.
And other true FPS games like Heretic, Hexen, Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3D and all other came out later based on the groundbreaking example of Doom, so no matter how you try to bend the facts, you can't pass around the simple fact that Doom was the first true FPS shooter that set the standards for coming times.

velik_m 24-09-2006 09:08 PM

i never said system shock came before doom 1, so how was i wrong? please reread the argument and stop argueing with your own fabrications.

doom 1: release date: December 10, 1993 (wow a whole 3 months earlier <_<)

doom was marketed better and sold more copies, but that doesn't make it a better game. I also fail to see how its simplified gameplay makes it a better FPS, or how added capabilities of system shock's engine actually work against the game.

and wolfenstein 3d may have something to say about your final statement.

Guest 24-09-2006 10:22 PM

System shock sucks. Doom is the Game everyone played. It is more than great. It is one of the best shooters of all time. Gore on! Cool graphics, nice Sound, brutal, wtf is system shock?

Vongoethe 24-09-2006 10:38 PM

System Shock is a fine Adventure game with some slight RPG elements, set in the mankind's future and plays in full 3D graphics. It's a game that hardcore players adore. Very recommended to play for non-FPS gamers who search for a good story.

As for Wolfenstein 3D, it wasn't so far yet to deserve to be called a true 3D game yet despite it's name, there was only one dimension of height. Doom at least created the optical illusion of a true 3D game, but it's engine failed with the true 3D also.

Elon Yariv 13-10-2006 10:45 PM

Hello,
I have a problem with finishing the boss levels in doom II and the final episode: The Plutonia Experiment.(Maybe TNT too, haven't reached the boss level yet)
How do I close that gateway to hell? If it's diffrent in the plutonia episode, please tell me how to close it in both games.
Untill now I just finished playing the game when I reached the gateway, I always enjoyed masscaring deamons but I always got bored of searching for a way to close that gateway.

Thanks in advance. ^_^

Guest 14-10-2006 07:04 AM

You need to pump few rockets into the opening in that demon's head where the metallic cube comes out from. In Plutonia Experiment it's tricky, you need to rise the quadratic platform before the head (the switch is somewhere on a side of the "tribune" close to the wall) and shot just before the platform reaches it's highest point. Save before you do then find out the right moment.
Not sure anymore how do to that in TNT, I lost it long time ago from a damaged floppy disk and have only Plutonia Experiment now. But it should be the same there - to send rockets into the demon's opening. I remember though there were some Cyberdemons to hinder you to do that, so you had to be really quick.

yoga 14-10-2006 07:22 PM

:titan:
No game like Doom 2. It is the best game of 20-th century.
Mates , do You know that there are 2 additional levels at Doom 2 level 15?
Yes, if You find the corridor , You will enter the game Wolfenstein with 2 levels.
It is very funny, because Hitler soldiers are very small.
I remember the good old times when we - 4 friends organized every hollidays small network Game Doom2
playing death matches with 2 teams with 2 members.
Were have the good times gone?:)
Yes , was very funny to hide with gun N 5 in the hands and sent a message to the enemy like "
Prepare to die , scums". or " I saw you Pet" and poor Pet started to look panically all around
waiting for the killing shot.
Well, I am so good in D2 that I am able to start every level ( diff. 4) with a pistol only and end the level.
So if You have some Question feel free ask me any time.
You want to be in God mode? No problem!
Greetings
yog
:kosta:

JJXB 14-10-2006 07:44 PM

nearly everyone knows about the wolf levels but kudos for trying to find something new. and doesn't it seem a little cocky that your making the claim that you can do every level with a pistol on ultra violence? don't know about anyone else but i think so

velik_m 14-10-2006 10:03 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJXB @ Oct 14 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]261287[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

nearly everyone knows about the wolf levels but kudos for trying to find something new. and doesn't it seem a little cocky that your making the claim that you can do every level with a pistol on ultra violence? don't know about anyone else but i think so
[/b]
level 30 is a bit tricky, but otherwise it is possible to do that.

idclev31 and idclev32 for those people having trouble finding secret levels.

Elon Yariv 15-10-2006 12:21 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 14 2006, 07:04 AM) [snapback]261187[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

You need to pump few rockets into the opening in that demon's head where the metallic cube comes out from. In Plutonia Experiment it's tricky, you need to rise the quadratic platform before the head (the switch is somewhere on a side of the "tribune" close to the wall) and shot just before the platform reaches it's highest point. Save before you do then find out the right moment.
Not sure anymore how do to that in TNT, I lost it long time ago from a damaged floppy disk and have only Plutonia Experiment now. But it should be the same there - to send rockets into the demon's opening. I remember though there were some Cyberdemons to hinder you to do that, so you had to be really quick.
[/b]
Thanks for your answer, it'll help me alot. It seems simple enough in Doom2, only shooting a few rockets into the opening. I expected it'll be abit more complicated in Plutonia, I thought you needed to use that device that closed the other portals...
One thing really annoys me about that plutonia episode, they seem to like confining the cyberdeamons to small platforms, making them an easy kill, and very boring to fight against. It was done in doom2 once too.

Why can't they place them like in the original doom - The Shores of hell. It was a much better place for it :wallbash: .

Iowa 15-10-2006 07:45 PM

Doom 2 has almost always been a rough ride for me, I hate the fact that the levels are so huge and open that you can almost never tell where you're supposed to go!

And this is a bit off-topic, but Elon, where in the world did you get your signature and avatar? I've been searching around and never found anything that good!

velik_m 16-10-2006 08:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Oct 15 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]261430[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Doom 2 has almost always been a rough ride for me, I hate the fact that the levels are so huge and open that you can almost never tell where you're supposed to go!

And this is a bit off-topic, but Elon, where in the world did you get your signature and avatar? I've been searching around and never found anything that good!
[/b]
doom 2, big maps? you obviously never played wolfenstein 3d. just go where you haven't been yet.

hint: automap is your friend.

though doom2 has some tricky spots, that are hard to figure out (industrial zone comes to mind).

Gottfried 29-10-2006 08:56 AM

Doom2.. I ended this game about 100 times and time to time, when i am bored I start it on Ultra-Violence and play it from beggining to end without saving, it's nice challenge, although i already know every monster behind every corner, i return back to doom again and again...

Jontzzu 29-10-2006 11:18 AM

Doom 2 is great! I have both old dooms on my computer including a special Simpsons Doom (main character is Homer and enemies are different charecters from Simpsons). :ok:

Iowa 29-10-2006 06:30 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(velik_m @ Oct 16 2006, 01:45 AM) [snapback]261486[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Oct 15 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]261430[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
doom 2, big maps? you obviously never played wolfenstein 3d. just go where you haven't been yet.

hint: automap is your friend.

though doom2 has some tricky spots, that are hard to figure out (industrial zone comes to mind).
[/b][/quote]
Not only have I played Wolf3D, I own it...its pretty damned hard. I'm stuck on some floor in the second chapter mainly composed of really really tight corridors.

Gottfried 31-10-2006 01:10 PM

lvl 30 - type idclip and with noclip mode run into demon's head - you will see what really are you shooting rockets at :)
lvl 32 contains hang Commander Keen dolls
lvl 30 - try to record the speech demon has when you enter level and then play it backwards :)
idchoppers - chainsaw and quote

as much as i remember from easter eggs - its about 9 months i played it last time

Cloudy 31-10-2006 02:25 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muad Dib @ Oct 31 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]264571[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

lvl 30 - type idclip and with noclip mode run into demon's head - you will see what really are you shooting rockets at :)
lvl 30 - try to record the speech demon has when you enter level and then play it backwards :)
[/b]
These two easter eggs in particular are very much related :P

Iowa 31-10-2006 11:34 PM

How do you record speech and play it backwards?

DonCorleone 31-10-2006 11:46 PM

You could record it with a digital dictating machine. Some of them might be able to be played reverse. If not then you could copy it to your PC and use certain software for this subject. And if you don't have a dictating machine you still can use your mobile phone. Most of these nice little things are able to record some seconds of voice...
There are for sure some better possibilities to record the voice of this evil demon. But the ones I started are just a way to show you that it is possible :D

Iowa 03-11-2006 03:08 AM

Hmm...well I have neither...

The Fifth Horseman 07-11-2006 12:11 PM

Dosbox has a sound capture function, too. :P

Iowa 08-11-2006 02:25 AM

Really now...Iowa might have just found himself another useless download...

useless downloads rock...

xonic64 20-12-2006 07:28 PM

Doom 2 = King of FPS

'Nuff said. :P

Iowa 24-12-2006 12:11 AM

No, actually, here's the real equation:

{Doom 2}+[Quake^2]-Halo/Halo 2 = The King of FPSs

'Nuff said. :ok:

Mousazz 27-01-2007 10:35 PM

here's what you have to do to win last (30th) level:

1) first, go up and push lever.
2) then, take plasma gun, and go around until platform goes up.
3) then activate platform, and shoot everything.
4) step on platform, and shoot. after second, turn to boss and take rocket launcher.
5) shoot rockets into his brains.
repeat 3,4 and 5, and win!

Scatty 28-01-2007 07:46 AM

And the longer you hesitate, the more critters will come to hinder you, so hurry up.

Korkki 01-02-2007 01:06 PM

I admit; Doom 1 & 2 we´re the best FPS when they came. I still like to play them when i dont want to play WoW or CSS

But there was 1 big annoying level at Doom 2... it was that level where is the big head at the center of the wall... i almost did like this :wallbash: cause i didn´t realized what u have to do at that level. I´m still thinkin wtf i have to do at that level... Do u have to shoot that head? Kill all enemies? :huh: :huh: :huh:

But anyway, without thinkin about roses and sticks... both games rocks even they´re still old'

THANK YOU ID FOR MAKIN SUCH A MARVELOUS GAMES :kosta: (in example Doom 1 & 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake etc.)

Guest 01-02-2007 01:10 PM

LOL jsut looked at previous comments and the answer of my solution was there... god i hate myself :blink:

Adam 02-03-2007 07:50 AM

Doom 2 in my opinion was much better than the first, and deserves a higher rating than a 3. I will go back and play Doom 2 over the original consistently. Great levels for deathmatch, were in my opinion Doom 2's biggest strength. Plus I love the double barrel shotgun absent from the original.

Guest 02-03-2007 02:00 PM

Indeed, I agree that the levels in Doom II are far better than those in Doom. But Doom is a legend ^_^
By the way, I found the levels in the official expansions to Doom II - Plutonia Experiment and TNT even better than those in Doom II - Hell on Earth, as in these expansions the levels stretch the limits of Doom II engine to get out the best. Some levels in TNT were in my opinion even so great that even any in Quake don't match them, counting the right music piece for the right level in.

Guest 07-09-2007 04:18 PM

doom2 was liberated now. remove that $. it's free, like doom1

Gary_Oak 07-09-2007 04:58 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Korkki @ Feb 1 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]277501[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I admit; Doom 1 & 2 we�re the best FPS when they came. I still like to play them when i dont want to play WoW or CSS

But there was 1 big annoying level at Doom 2... it was that level where is the big head at the center of the wall... i almost did like this :wallbash: cause i didn�t realized what u have to do at that level. I�m still thinkin wtf i have to do at that level... Do u have to shoot that head? Kill all enemies? :huh: :huh: :huh:

But anyway, without thinkin about roses and sticks... both games rocks even they�re still old'

THANK YOU ID FOR MAKIN SUCH A MARVELOUS GAMES :kosta: (in example Doom 1 & 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake etc.)
[/b]
Isn't that the last level, I recall seeing something that looked like a big skull in a room where a lot of demons teleported from one place to another, I always ended up tele-fraged. :tai:
I still have no clue on how to beat the level, but if you need help try gamefaqs, they cover pretty much everything when it comes to walkthroughs.

Tito 08-09-2007 12:16 AM

If I remember correctly what you had to do was climbing to the upper level of the stairs, pressing a button there and the going down quickly. A platform in the middle of the lower level would the start rising so you could shoot at the center of the goat skull (to a little hole in it, that is), killing the final boss. But not any weapon could do so, I think the bazokaa was one of the possible options.

Well, my memory is not that good...

Scatty 08-09-2007 09:44 AM

Only the rocket launcher and BFG9000 will do because of the radius damage, as you can't directly reach the actual "boss" himself (who's a head on a stake deeper inside the skull). Also you 'only' will inflict the damage if you shot shortly before the platform is raised to full height, if it's already completely raised you're slightly higher than the hole with the head and will hit a wall instead.

fogofavalon 09-09-2007 09:51 PM

Never once did I beat the last level without iddqd. The timing and mass quantities of demons was all a bit much for me. I did not know what was behind that wall though, I might have to dust it off and have a peek for old time's sake.

gregor 10-09-2007 09:43 AM

while at it why not use some of the cool mods that equip doom with open GL graphics or highresolution textures...

jdoom, zdoom

The Fifth Horseman 10-09-2007 11:55 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 7 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]309544[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

doom2 was liberated now. remove that $. it's free, like doom1
[/b]
I see nothing about that on ID Software's page, so... what are you talking about?

dosraider 10-09-2007 01:23 PM

I presume 'Guest' is a bit mix'd up, the source code is released under GNU license, not the game.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_source_code

JudgeDeadd 16-09-2007 03:08 PM

I think that Doom 2 is much better than Doom 1. I'd give D1 a 3 or 4, while Doom 2 would get a well-deserved 5.

Ginjah 19-09-2007 07:46 AM

I've downloaded the homebrew version of Doom for my PSP. Its great going through the game again from the beginning :w00t:

Mephisto][ 11-10-2007 09:55 AM

Hey man, you are crazy!!! just 3??? Joking?? what a such stupid. :angry:

doom (1,2,tnt,ultimate...) is simply GREAT. Heretic? hexen? they are just a shadow of doom. The only FPS y like near to(but no more) doom, is Strife. the Strife levels are very nice. they have a great ambient. AND a Very well defined plot. but you shouldn't be looking just for a plot in a FPS. IF YOU WANT A STORY GO AND SEE A FILM, or just play a RPG.

Thanks for your attention!!!

Sonic_Moronic 11-10-2007 03:04 PM

Doom 2 is boring, I never completed it. The first one is simply amazing, pure FUN.

_r.u.s.s. 12-10-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

[' date='Oct 11 2007, 11:55 AM' post='315666']IF YOU WANT A STORY GO AND SEE A FILM, or just play a RPG.[/b]
its like you said, IF YOU WANT COMFORTABLE JACKET GO BUY A T-SHIRT, maybe they d like to have comfortable jacket

wacked 21-11-2007 03:50 AM

multiplayer Doom in dosbox?

I hope I'm not asking a stupid question :), but does anyone have any idea on how to play games such as DOOM, DOOM 2, and Heretic multiplayer in dosbox? I remember playing these games via the old dial up days with friends and I want to relive the multiplayer fun.

I know dosbox has some kind if IPX support and I'm aware for things such as Z Doom and Skulltag but can you emulate a dial up connection via ipx in dosbox? I'm currently using dosbox 0.72 and dosbox game launcher 0.54.

Any help would be much appreciated. I tried looking in the forums (the new abandonia doesn't seem to like my Firefox 2.009 very much) before posting here but found nothing.

Thanks for any replies :).

nedela 21-11-2007 05:52 AM

why would you need that if you are aware of those other 3rd party mods ?!

As i remember normal doom2 had to be launched with another file to get the network game started. since there are people here who were playing other dosgames in multiplayer mode via dos box i guess it should be same as doing it via normal dos. only i dont' know how it is with modem drivers and such. i guzess you would have to install them somehow for dial up connection.

way more easier to just use Zdoom.

Talin 24-11-2007 11:40 PM

Doom 2 actually had a kinda decent plot, atleast the first 10 levels, as you had to clear a way for the survivors to get to a spaceship and launch into space and safety, then after that ya get a a new mission to destroy the invading demons and their master (usual gameplot) :)

and that the manual mentioned Stockholm, now thats was cool to me back then :P

red_avatar 29-11-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacek Dobrzyniecki (Post 303277)
I think that Doom 2 is much better than Doom 1. I'd give D1 a 3 or 4, while Doom 2 would get a well-deserved 5.

While I enjoy Doom 2, the levels don't have the same feel to them - they're more "realistic" but they are also lacking in areas. They feel disjointed in places and aren't as memorable as a lot of levels in Doom 1. Some Doom 2 levels on the other hand were brilliant - it was a bit hit and miss.

Scatty 29-11-2007 10:58 AM

The levels in the (un)official Doom II expansion(s) called Final Doom, which consisted of Plutonia Experiment and TNT - Evilution, are sometimes much better than in the original Doom II too, I think. All of the levels in those two were more memorable than in Doom II, like Heck or Deepest Reaches for those who know.

red_avatar 30-11-2007 09:53 AM

I wish I still had my custom made Doom II levels - deathmatch levels that is. Damn, they were great - making levels was slow back then but much easier. My friend and me used to work on our own levels and once every few months, one of us would take our PC to the other, hook them up, and play deathmatch for a whole afternoon.

Eldrin 22-04-2008 05:47 PM

Eh guys, I don't see the download of Doom on this page ?? why not

Scatty 22-04-2008 05:48 PM

Because it's protected by ESA and is not allowed to be hosted for download

The Fifth Horseman 23-04-2008 10:43 AM

Actually - as strange as it might seem - ID Software is still selling it.

yoga 21-06-2008 04:42 PM

Doom2 in network?

Hi, there,

May I dare ask You very politely:

- Well, a friend of mine and me want to play Doom2 in the net being 100 miles away each other in options: Yog&Friend against monsters;
Yog versus the friend? Can we? We have stable fast Internet connection. Win XP Pro.
DosBox is no problem.
If Yes ,pls give me some directions.

Ty, all good people.

yog - the best Doom2 player ever seen..

_r.u.s.s. 21-06-2008 05:10 PM

hi, go to http://www.zdaemon.org/ and download the client. it's pretty good, you don't need dosbox or any other emulators, it's a multiplayer client and game port in 1. there are MANY many online servers, but you can also make your own of course, even local. just read the tutorials, it's not really hard

yoga 23-06-2008 04:50 PM

Ty

Sposibo, russ.

xe xe
I know You are not Russian.

_r.u.s.s. 27-06-2008 10:16 PM

i actually am :p
nezashto

by the way, it's spasibo

yoga 28-06-2008 05:04 PM

Nu, nu

Ja toje ne russkii, odnako lublu ruskie lude i knig. Da da

Spasibo dlya sposibo.:))

Nu poka
vsego choroshego

yog - from small, sunny and lovely Bulgaria

thefreshmaker 17-02-2009 08:20 AM

Odd?

Luckily I managed to purchase an original boxed floppy diskette copy of doom complete with its manual and help booklet dated 1994 for a surprising three pounds.
I've just finished the game after what was almost eight months of extensive dooming and was wondering, does anyone know how much I can expect to get for a complete boxed set, in excellent condition.

Many thanks.

Scatty 17-02-2009 08:55 AM

Well you can always try your luck on eBay and I'm sure you'll find enough hits for Doom II with original package and manual. However, don't expect it to be cheap, the game is so rare today that it's becoming a collector's item.

BostonGeorge 17-02-2009 02:03 PM

Oh dear... I don't love to say this (I am a hardcore collector of original games :max:) but you'll get a lot for it :thumbs:

AlumiuN 17-02-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 353042)
Well you can always try your luck on eBay and I'm sure you'll find enough hits for Doom II with original package and manual. However, don't expect it to be cheap, the game is so rare today that it's becoming a collector's item.

Really? I have a CD version of this... :nuts:

zirkoni 03-06-2010 04:04 PM

This :OK:

riccso 03-06-2010 05:30 PM

THAT'S EPIC ZIRKONI

Acethor 03-06-2010 05:37 PM

The lines are so cheesy, it made me ROFL all over the place :D

BranjoHello 05-06-2010 01:42 PM

LOOOOOL!

holydiver95 05-06-2010 04:45 PM

I love the Easter Egg Way to End this Game :D

eugene425 08-06-2010 09:18 AM

Rusland

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 329661)
i actually am :p
nezashto

by the way, it's spasibo

_r.u.s.s., говоришь не русский, а по-русски понимаешь.Why:OK:?

_r.u.s.s. 08-06-2010 06:15 PM

why can't russians speak english?=P

by the way, this is english forum, you should really write in english

eugene425 08-06-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 406784)
why can't russians speak english?=P

by the way, this is english forum, you should really write in english

Okay

Quote:

I would like that we at the forum took one more game. I mean the FCC. What do you think?

_r.u.s.s. 08-06-2010 08:44 PM

yes! :ouch:

eugene425 08-06-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 406786)
yes! :ouch:

Quote:

I would like that we at the forum took one more game. I mean the FCC. What do you think?

holydiver95 30-06-2010 05:30 PM

I love the Easter-Egg Way to end Doom 2 :D

Remenber:
Quote:

To win the Game you must kill me: John Romeo

eugene425 30-07-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holydiver95 (Post 408518)
I love the Easter-Egg Way to end Doom 2 :D

Remenber:

what you mean?Easter-Egg Way to end Doom 2???:perv::whops:

The Fifth Horseman 30-07-2010 09:34 PM

There is only one way to end Doom 2, and it requires using cheats to find and kill an evil version of John Romero.

eugene425 01-08-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 410544)
There is only one way to end Doom 2, and it requires using cheats to find and kill an evil version of John Romero.

Not true/

Professor Oak 01-08-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Cheats aren't required to complete the game, yet the last level does require some degree of speed and skill.

eugene425 01-08-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Oak (Post 410667)
Cheats aren't required to complete the game, yet the last level does require some degree of speed and skill.

Correct.:OK:

Cycieties 01-08-2010 10:15 PM

A reminder that one can buy this game from the Xbox LIVE Arcade marketplace and play it on their 360.

kemo 25-12-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

You couldn't be any more incorrect. You use the lift and launch rockets into the head, as it says you supposedly did when the text starts showing on the screen.

yoga 26-12-2010 06:46 PM

Well, well

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 419502)
You couldn't be any more incorrect. You use the lift and launch rockets into the head, as it says you supposedly did when the text starts showing on the screen.

:smile2:
I think the game is unbeatable.
But may be wrong..
What do YOU think, Prof??

:OK:
Do YOU find the add 2 levels where You enter another game.
A very respected member of AB staff avatar shows a scene of this game..

:hihihi:

I think Doom2 is the best game of 20 century..

:gangsta:

DarthHelmet86 27-12-2010 04:30 AM

It is very possible to beat Doom 2 by using the lift and firing rockets into the Demons exposed area....his brain. In fact by doing so you are causing splash damage to the head of Romero anyway from what I understand, and it takes three rockets to destroy the head like that.

It is a lot harder since the Demon spawns other demons non stop and the lift shot is very hard to make, but it is possible.

Kugerfang 27-12-2010 06:30 AM

To beat the game you must kill him, John Romero.

Professor Oak 27-12-2010 11:28 AM

Alternatively, just get a source port which allows you to jump and freelook, that should make things much easier for those who have trouble completing the last level.

DarthHelmet86 27-12-2010 11:57 AM

But the point is you don't need to cheat to beat the game, it is possible to do it normally.

Scatty 27-12-2010 01:00 PM

If you run for the lift as soon as you enter this last level, you'll have few valuable minutes before the spawned monsters overrun you and make it almost impossible.
It's a bit tricky. You have to shoot the rockets straight through the opening in the skull, which can be archieved only shortly before the lift rises to the highest point. If you shoot from the lift while it's at the highest point, the rocket won't fly through the opening in the skill but hit the outer wall, and the splash damage area won't reach far enough to hit the impaled head of Mr. Romero.

iamgod 28-12-2010 03:14 PM

congused.com

its syill a comercial game what is it doing here

yoga 28-12-2010 03:23 PM

NO

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgod (Post 419612)
its syill a comercial game what is it doing here

Dear well respected mate Iamgod,

If YOU mean "silly game.." please allow me to disagrre with You very politely.

For me Doom 2 is the best arcade game for 20-th century.

The best RPG game is Betrayer at Krondor. But this is another theme.

TY
:whistling:

DrHojo123 28-12-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 419613)
Dear well respected mate Iamgod,

If YOU mean "silly game.." please allow me to disagrre with You very politely.

For me Doom 2 is the best arcade game for 20-th century.

The best RPG game is Betrayer at Krondor. But this is another theme.

TY

i think he ment Still

kemo 28-12-2010 11:25 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 419534)
:smile2:
I think the game is unbeatable.
But may be wrong..
What do YOU think, Prof??

:OK:
Do YOU find the add 2 levels where You enter another game.
A very respected member of AB staff avatar shows a scene of this game..

I think Doom2 is the best game of 20 century..

:gangsta:

Game is VERY beatable, it's not hard. the bfg helps control the population as you keep goin back up and off the lift.

Getting to the secret level is also VERY easy. Map 15.

Notice where I am in the first pic, run off the ledge and you should land on the platform in pic 2. hit the switch. jump down into the pit to the opposite side as seen in pic 3. run inside, grab the invulnerability in pic 4... being in this room opens ANOTHER secret. head to the green building as seen in pic 5. follow the nukeage until you see the opening in pic 6. enter that and take the portal in pic 7 to wolfenstein.

yoga 30-12-2010 08:12 PM

Where have old good times gone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 419638)
Game is VERY beatable, it's not hard. the bfg helps control the population as you keep goin back up and off the lift.

Getting to the secret level is also VERY easy. Map 15.

Notice where I am in the first pic, run off the ledge and you should land on the platform in pic 2. hit the switch. jump down into the pit to the opposite side as seen in pic 3. run inside, grab the invulnerability in pic 4... being in this room opens ANOTHER secret. head to the green building as seen in pic 5. follow the nukeage until you see the opening in pic 6. enter that and take the portal in pic 7 to wolfenstein.

Great!

YOU Master, of course..

Peyroteo 03-01-2011 01:38 AM

I´ve played this game for years, at the time I thought that it was going to be the best game series of ever. God I miss being younger XD

kemo 06-01-2011 11:36 AM

I'll show how to get from map 31 to 32 if I remember later today. 32 is an easy map, even on ultra violence.

eugene425 06-01-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 420114)
I'll show how to get from map 31 to 32 if I remember later today. 32 is an easy map, even on ultra violence.

It's not worth it, because everyone knows that at the end of the level is the secret of getting out to the secret level.:perv:

marko river 06-01-2011 01:57 PM

A secret level from secret level? wow... :)

Astaldo711 06-01-2011 08:50 PM

Wow! I still remember when DOOM was shareware we passed around on the little floppies. Brings back a lot of memories. I also loved Heretic. Nothing like senseless fragging after a long day at work. :perv:

kemo 06-01-2011 11:07 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Secret exit from the secret level is as follows.

At the "last" room before the exit, approach the right corner seen in pic 1. press open/use.

In pic 2, you can see I already opened the next wall to the right. Follow that room until you see what you see in pic 3.

in the room seen in pic 3 is a secret to the soul sphere as seen in pic 4.

Pic 5 is the exit.

Pic 6 is the intro to Grosse.

eugene425 07-01-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 420159)
Secret exit from the secret level is as follows.

At the "last" room before the exit, approach the right corner seen in pic 1. press open/use.

In pic 2, you can see I already opened the next wall to the right. Follow that room until you see what you see in pic 3.

in the room seen in pic 3 is a secret to the soul sphere as seen in pic 4.

Pic 5 is the exit.

Pic 6 is the intro to Grosse.

It's not worth it, because everyone knows that at the end of the level is the secret of getting out to the secret level.:3:

DarthHelmet86 07-01-2011 07:41 AM

Eugene not everyone knows how to get to the secret levels. I didn't, since I only ever played Doom 1 as a child.

The Fifth Horseman 07-01-2011 10:38 AM

IIRC that secret is entered the same as one that was present on a corresponding level of Wolfenstein.
Or am I mistaking it for a different one?

DarthHelmet86 07-01-2011 10:44 AM

That is very possible Fifth, I think they really just ripped the levels straight from Wolfenstein.

Professor Oak 07-01-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 420172)
IIRC that secret is entered the same as one that was present on a corresponding level of Wolfenstein.
Or am I mistaking it for a different one?

That is correct, Fifth, it is the exact same level with a few alterations, such as the additional demon room.

kemo 08-01-2011 08:56 PM

does anyone play doom with pwads? scythe.wad is one of my favorites. good luck getting through level 26 ...

kemo 08-01-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulac (Post 104151)

:no: Heretic and hexen came out AFTER doom 2. All are based off id tech 1. and since Id software already had id tech 1 with doom, ravensoft was able to do their game off of the same technology. Those games (heretic/hexen) weren't very popular in comparison anyways :perv: After hexen... the next greatest FPS came out in 1996(since doom 2). We know it as Quake.

Professor Oak 09-01-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 420250)
does anyone play doom with pwads? scythe.wad is one of my favorites. good luck getting through level 26 ...

Ahh yes, a well-known megawad created by Erik Alm. I recommend checking out Alien Vendetta, if you haven't already.

kemo 09-01-2011 07:13 PM

way ahead of ya ;) it's in my folder next to memento mori 1/2 :D and then there is one of my favorites: RTC-3057

Professor Oak 09-01-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 420326)
way ahead of ya ;) it's in my folder next to memento mori 1/2 :D and then there is one of my favorites: RTC-3057

If you want some real history, UAC_DEAD is quite the impressive memento from the annals of time.

kemo 10-01-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Oak (Post 420329)
If you want some real history, UAC_DEAD is quite the impressive memento from the annals of time.

cant say that I enjoyed that wad.

tristanzz 24-10-2011 06:16 AM

wow, a lot of talk about Doom2's last level.

I challenge anyone to beat it like a BOSS: activate the elevator, go up, hit Romero's head on the way up (specifically this is where the tip of your rocket launcher lines up with the bottom of the giant icon's chin), and then, hit it again as you jump off.

If you made it there on ultra-violence it shouldn't be a problem. If you made it there on nightmare you should be able to do it with your eyes closed while chewing a lemon.

rebel_yell 22-06-2013 10:53 PM

I bought Ultimate Doom years back, and pulled it out recently trying to set up a 4 way game of dogtag (popular on dwango) for my kids. So far, I cannot get it to play any of the old doom2 wads... and I'm thinking it's because of the udoom executable. I assumed since Udoom came after doom2, and included doom 1 and doom 2 plus a new level, that it would play doom2 wads. Has anybody had experience with this? So... here I am looking for a copy of doom2 so I can test my theory, but so far, haven't found a copy.

Scatty 22-06-2013 11:16 PM

If you're trying to run any Doom II or Final Doom WAD with Ultimate Doom executable, I think you need to use a command-line parameter with it to run a custom WAD, since an EXE of Doom (1) by default looks for a doom.wad file. It might be also that the version of the EXE you have is too low and doesn't support Doom II and Final Doom.
Look here for a list of all EXE versions which were released.

I could send you a Ms-Dos EXE of Final Doom (for both Doom II and Final Doom), however I don't think it's legal since all Doom series are sold by now and not available for free download.

rebel_yell 23-06-2013 05:58 AM

Udoom will not run doom2 wads

Thanks for your suggestions Scatty. After several days of trying to run some old doom2 wads using my copy of ultimate doom, I decided to try it using doom2, which worked. I assumed that since Udoom came out after doom2 it would run doom1 or doom2 wads, but NO. It says its loading the wads but all you see once you get in the game are the iwad maps.

I had to go through Steam's BS to get a copy of it, (and put up with their 100 meg installation of crap on my HD--which all took about an hour) but after I got the doom2.exe and doom2.wad, I could run the old wads fine.

Then I tried to run an old demo I recorded back in 1996 of a game of dogtag on dwango with Dr.Toomer and Mr.Blonde. But it would not play the demo. When it's starting up the text reports it has loaded both the wad and the .lmp file, and pauses (with the warning about modified game). After I hit enter it clears the screen and says: "W_GetNumForName: wads\toomtag not found!"

My command line was:

doom2 -file wads\dwang_01.wad -playdemo wads\toomtag

So I'm bummed. Only thing I can think of is that perhaps my old demo file corrupted. I am quite sure I recorded it using v 1.9, the last version that came out. But at least now I can play dogtag with my 3 kids.... :)

RRS 12-11-2013 01:51 PM

Is that MobyGames founder or just similar name?

De-M-oN 20-01-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samtam90 (Post 104134)
I simply can't agree with the 3... for a masterpiece like this there should be at least a 4. The lack of plot is intentionally: Doom was tought as a mindless shooter and it's the one of the best FPS ever. It's so fun because great level building, secrets, enemies. Mark it whit a 3 only for lack of plot and not as good as other FPS (I think it's absolutely not true, because apart System Shock and few others there weren't shooters as good as this in 1994).

I agree fully here.

4 would have been more than fair.

Quote:

Indeed, but that doesn't make them better games does it? In the case you mentioned, Hexen, I liked the game but got bored with it very quickly in relation to Doom 2 (or 1). Matter of taste I guess.
and another agree.

Doom 2 still lives nowadays and has the most maps and mods and multiplayer is still played too much. This should show how good doom 2 actually is.

innovation was the damn nice new monsters, the absolutely awesome super shotgun and that awesome leveldesign. Hell on Earth was a very interesting theme especially on that time. Remember maps like downtown etc. That was very nice :-)
storyline was more than enough for this type of game. The story expands in textform in later episodes too. Not much, but also not much necessary.

Your 2 points doesnt make the game a medium score title. And you gave it with 3 just medium.
Doom 2 should have 4 not 3..

The current time is 01:16 PM (GMT)