Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Train - Escape To Normandy, The (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=5387)

Sebatianos 03-06-2005 04:52 PM

Train - Escape To Normandy, The

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + Download

t0mme 03-06-2005 04:53 PM

Sound interesting and I don't have it yet......downloading...

hessekopp 03-06-2005 05:03 PM

THIS is a REAL CLASSIC for me!
AWESOME. i forgot about that pearl, but when i saw the pics, it verschissel my nissel!

jep, the first genre mix i ever played, with a world war theme.
great :ok: :ok:

thanx for that. really

Abi79 03-06-2005 05:17 PM

After I enter the train the game just stops running. I don't know what's happening.

BTW, in the train I saw a mouse cursor. Is there a way to play the game with a mouse? :help:

Sebatianos 03-06-2005 05:59 PM

I haven't found it - so I guess the game doesn't support a mouse.

What do you mean stopped?
Now you need to drive the train. You move the cursor with the arrow keys.

Clarence Twat 03-06-2005 06:21 PM

*snip*

Stop making these posts, and get a new name while you're at it - Havell

win98 04-06-2005 07:02 AM

i do not get how to kill the huards at the very begining i can shoot but what is the duck button

Abi79 04-06-2005 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by win98@Jun 4 2005, 07:02 AM
i do not get how to kill the huards at the very begining i can shoot but what is the duck button
The duck button is SPACE. :ok:

Thomas, King of the Apartment 04-06-2005 08:05 AM

I understand that it takes considerable time and effort to write detailed reviews for posted games. The people who write them (hopefully) have busy lives outside of their computers, so it follows that there are inherent constraints on the time spent fussing over a review. However, there is no acceptable reason for the reviewer not to spend an extra 5 minutes editing what they've written for grammatical and syntactical clarity.

Take this sentence fragment, for example:

"I doubt very much, that there have been more games,,,"

What is the purpose of this comma? It only slows down the reader. When the very first sentence of a passage contains such a distracting error it is very tempting to just stop reading, to prevent any further wasting of time.

Here's an awful example of syntactical ambiguity:

"You also need to watch out for enemy planes. They will attack the train while in motion."

What is in motion here, the train or the enemy planes? Given the context, the sentence could be interpreted either way. Terrible, terrible writing! :Titan:

A. J. Raffles 04-06-2005 08:32 AM

Have some faith in the Grammar Squad, will you? They'll get there soon enough.;)

Also, before you tear the review to pieces, keep in mind that it was written by someone whose first language isn't English. It happens. Unless your Slovenian is equally good as Sebatianos' English, I don't think you're in a position to complain, really.

Abi79 04-06-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thomas@ King of the Apartment,Jun 4 2005, 11:05 AM
I understand that it takes considerable time and effort to write detailed reviews for posted games.* The people who write them (hopefully) have* busy lives outside of their computers, so it follows that there are inherent constraints on* the time spent fussing over a review.* However, there is no acceptable reason for the reviewer not to spend an extra 5 minutes editing what they've written for grammatical and syntactical clarity.

Take this sentence fragment, for example:

"I doubt very much, that there have been more games,,,"

What is the purpose of this comma?* It only slows down the reader.* When the very first sentence of a passage contains such a distracting error it is very tempting to just stop reading, to prevent any further wasting of time.*

Here's an awful example of syntactical ambiguity:

"You also need to watch out for enemy planes. They will attack the train while in motion."

What is in motion here, the train or the enemy planes?* Given the context, the sentence could be interpreted either way.* Terrible, terrible writing!* :Titan:

What's the problem with the review ? You must not be smart in order to understand it ! My first language is also not English (it's Romanian) an I'm 13 years old, but I can read and understand the review.

BTW, I don't think that the planes from WWII could have stood in air without moving, so "They will attack the train while in motion." is a fully understandable sentence.
B)

TheChosen 04-06-2005 09:37 AM

By the way....i found this comment from the zip.file....

Quote:

Ten plik zosta? pobrany ze serwisu:

==========================================
ABANDONWARE - POLSKIE CENTRUM STARYCH GIER

http://staregry.gry-online.pl

A. J. Raffles 04-06-2005 10:16 AM

Which translates as?:huh:

samtam90 04-06-2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jun 4 2005, 10:16 AM
It simply says that the game comes from staregry.pl :rolleyes:

A. J. Raffles 04-06-2005 12:15 PM

I was referring to the "Ten plik zosta? pobrany ze serwisu" bit, actually. That looked, erm, interesting.:)

Sebatianos 04-06-2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheChosen@Jun 4 2005, 11:37 AM
By the way....i found this comment from the zip.file....

Quote:

Ten plik zosta? pobrany ze serwisu:

ABANDONWARE - POLSKIE CENTRUM STARYCH GIER

http://staregry.gry-online.pl

Where on Earth did you find that?
I went through all files (once unziped) and I found nothing similar... And the game wasn't taken from that site :blink:

TheChosen 04-06-2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by samtam90+Jun 4 2005, 12:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (samtam90 @ Jun 4 2005, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-A. J. Raffles@Jun 4 2005, 10:16 AM
It simply says that the game comes from staregry.pl :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Right.

And this is from the faq
Quote:

First of all, we only accept original games. We are well aware of all abandonware sites out there, so if you downloaded it from one of those - we don't need it

Sebatianos 04-06-2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheChosen@Jun 4 2005, 02:37 PM
Right.

And this is from the faq...

Everybody was able to contribute to the FAQ questions... so I'm well aware of our site's policy.

EDIT - this game has been in my possesion for around 12 years now. At that time there computer piracy was still a grey area in the Slovene justice system, so I purchased a pirate copy of the game (couldn't get the original anyway - no real computer game store yet).
Well I guess that clears up the mystery where that guy got the game from (although I find it strange that that site would be up back then already).

EDIT 2: I just talked to my brother. It seems he's the one to blame. He said he wanted to change the highscore of the game (he always wanted to have the highest score) around the new year (when he stayed at my place for a few days). At that point he destroyed the game, so he looked for the game on the net and got it off that very same polish site.

Sorry about the confusion everybody.

Nosferrath 04-06-2005 02:16 PM

How do you use the brakes and everything else in the train ? Because when I press space nothing happens and everything else blocks until you press space again. :help:

Sebatianos 04-06-2005 02:19 PM

Space is used to duck (while on station) and to pause while on the train.
You need to use ENTER. Hold enter and move the arrow-keys. Otherwise enter is used for shooting.

Nosferrath 04-06-2005 06:04 PM

Thanks a lot Sebatianos !

hessekopp 05-06-2005 04:44 PM

i think all reviews on this page are great! :D
the most abandon sites doesnt have any!
so what!?!??! :crazy:

play the game!

:sniper:

win98 05-06-2005 08:23 PM

this game says press fire to start i press the fire key and nothing happens also it was working fine but suddenly it happend also i have checked the keyboard connection do not worry i can fix it myself just saying
:D :Jesus: :angel: :SPAM: :evil: :king: :evil:

Sebatianos 05-06-2005 08:48 PM

I did mention that in the review (all you need to do is to restart the game if that happens).

win98 06-06-2005 09:37 PM

I must be becoming stupid i forgot that

Sebatianos 06-06-2005 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by win98@Jun 6 2005, 11:37 PM
I must be becoming stupid i forgot that
We're gettign a bit :ot: , but I have to say this in reply to your topic.

You do call yourself Win98 :whistle:

Ratsalad 09-06-2005 10:26 AM

Loved this game on the C64

A true gem

Aki 10-06-2005 11:22 AM

Just finished it. loved it. I hav'nt played a game like that in a long time

Guest 09-09-2005 01:40 PM

Hello Abandonia users. I just read the review of this train game and realized that even it's an very uncommon theme in the WWII game/movie genre it's not the only one.
There is a american movie from the late sixties/maybe seventies that has nearly the same storyline. Unfortunately I forgott the title, but the review sounds exactly like the game to the movie.
regards, Martin

Guest 25-10-2006 01:00 AM

"The 12 Damned"?

Thaluikhain 30-08-2007 05:25 AM

Hmmm...just downloaded this game. Managed to kill the nazi cross things and get in the train, but then who do I do...anything?

I can run the selector over various things, but how do I actually interact with anything? At the moment, I'm just running the selector around things, hitting buttons in the hope that one of them will do something, until the boiler overheats and I have to abandon the train. Getting a new high score in the process, but it's still not all that much fun ;)

gregor 30-08-2007 05:44 AM

from thew review on site (http://www.abandonia.com/games/527/d...toNormandy.htm):

Now you’re in the engine room of a steam train engine (and I’ll give a description of it now, since you need to know what to do once here). First of all you need to release the brake (if it’s turned left it’s released, if it’s turned towards you it’s not). Then there is the furnace (if you chose the flicker option it will switch colors giving the effect of a real fire burning – I told you I’ll explain that) and you can open it and shovel coal in it. To know when to shovel some more coal look at the meter that says TEMP (that’s temperature). Now higher temperature means more pressure in the boiler (you can see that on the PSI meter). Next you need to open up the throttle. It’s the lever in the top left corner. Since it has more then one level you can think of it as the gear box of a car and the gas pedal at the same time (you’ll see how fast you go on the MPH meter). But be careful! It the pressure is to high the boiler might explode! So make sure you look at the PSI and if it’s too high you need to blow off steam (that’s the lever in the bottom right corner). You’ll need this when you try to stop the train.

Sebatianos 30-08-2007 10:08 AM

Oh, maybe just one thing (but I think I mentioned it), to do anything you need to press fire and then move in a direction (for instance fire and up or down manipulates the throtlle).

Thaluikhain 31-08-2007 09:56 AM

Ah, press fire then move. Didn't try that.

Thanks.

THE FMS IS COMING 28-04-2011 06:57 AM

help!

using Google translate to change to polish to English (i could not be bothered t get my polish friend to translate it) and it say this:

Ten plik został pobrany z serwisu:
ABANDONWARE - POLSKIE CENTRUM STARYCH GIER =

This file has been downloaded from:
Abandonware - POLISH CENTRE OF OLD GAME

:jason:

The Fifth Horseman 28-04-2011 11:11 AM

That's exactly what it means, yes.

The current time is 10:49 AM (GMT)