Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Discworld Sound (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=11897)

dave 16-09-2006 08:46 AM

help! when i play this game i cant get any sound? spekaers are on and working! please help

Morrin 16-09-2006 09:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dave @ Sep 16 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]255311[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

help! when i play this game i cant get any sound? spekaers are on and working! please help
[/b]
Are you using the real dos or dosbox? I know this sounds stupid, but have you executed setup?

Guest 17-09-2006 02:40 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gekko @ Sep 16 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]255326[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dave @ Sep 16 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]255311[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
Are you using the real dos or dosbox? I know this sounds stupid, but have you executed setup?
[/b][/quote]
i have tried both.

Morrin 18-09-2006 05:20 AM

Im not quite sure if I had problems with discworld sounds, cannot remember. Have you experimented with the setup.exe and sound settings?

#BlakhOle# 18-09-2006 09:43 AM

Try using VDMsound, that might help. By the way, there is no sound until you actually get Rincewind out of bed, just in case you assumed there was sound in the start during the little intro movie thingies. Hope this helps

Morrin 18-09-2006 01:16 PM

I think in cd version (or something) there was also speech in the game. I'll check it out today and see if it works with me.

EDIT: Damn. I have the same problem. No sound effects. Could this be the worst case, that this is ripped version? I tried tons of different settings but no result. This shouldn't be this difficult.

EDIT2: Yes, so it seems. Im downloading a larger 100 meg version currently and see if the sound works then.

EDIT3: Yes, the abandonia version is unfortunately ripped version. The dialogue/voiceacting is fantastic by the way! I didn't remember it was this good. Im definetly playing this game again.

Guest 19-09-2006 08:18 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Sep 18 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]255788[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I think in cd version (or something) there was also speech in the game. I'll check it out today and see if it works with me.

EDIT: Damn. I have the same problem. No sound effects. Could this be the worst case, that this is ripped version? I tried tons of different settings but no result. This shouldn't be this difficult.

EDIT2: Yes, so it seems. Im downloading a larger 100 meg version currently and see if the sound works then.

EDIT3: Yes, the abandonia version is unfortunately ripped version. The dialogue/voiceacting is fantastic by the way! I didn't remember it was this good. Im definetly playing this game again.
[/b]
in reply to number three, where did you download it from??

Morrin 20-09-2006 05:12 AM

Hmm.. Im nOt quite sure if iT's allowed to say it here? yoU should register, so I could PM you.

JJXB 20-09-2006 11:54 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Sep 18 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]255748[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Try using VDMsound, that might help. By the way, there is no sound until you actually get Rincewind out of bed, just in case you assumed there was sound in the start during the little intro movie thingies. Hope this helps
[/b]
yes there is sounds on the logos before the games start (gets very annoying when you just want to leap in and play)

and VDMSound works fine for me with it. discworld 2 is the most problematic discworld game to run on XP

Guest 20-09-2006 07:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJXB @ Sep 20 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]256257[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Sep 18 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]255748[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
yes there is sounds on the logos before the games start (gets very annoying when you just want to leap in and play)

and VDMSound works fine for me with it. discworld 2 is the most problematic discworld game to run on XP
[/b][/quote]
Morrin i am going to register now!!

i have downloaded vdm sound how do i get it to work eg load that and the game?

Morrin 21-09-2006 05:59 AM

Im using DosBox to run discworld. It runs just finely.

The Fifth Horseman 21-09-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

i have downloaded vdm sound how do i get it to work eg load that and the game?[/b]
After installing VDMS, you just right-click on the game executable and choose "Run with VDMSound".

_dave 22-09-2006 07:45 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 21 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]256446[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Quote:

i have downloaded vdm sound how do i get it to work eg load that and the game?[/b]
After installing VDMS, you just right-click on the game executable and choose "Run with VDMSound".
[/b]
Hi, i have tried this on two diffrent exe files and both still have no sound.

Morrin 23-09-2006 08:36 AM

Use the goddamn dosbox! Don't listen these fools!

:tai:

The Fifth Horseman 25-09-2006 11:49 AM

Morrin, I was asked a simple question - how to use VDMSound to run a game - and I answered it. No need to be hostile.

Quote:

Hi, i have tried this on two diffrent exe files and both still have no sound.[/b]
Are you sure the game is configured to use the same sound hardware as the VDMSound is emulating?
If not, try running the game's internal sound configuration program and set the right values.
IIRC, the default for VDMSound is Sound Blaster 16, adress 220h, DMA 1. Not sure about IRQ, but I _think_ it's 5. If that fails, try 7.

Data 25-09-2006 12:19 PM

if VDMSound is installed properly and it doesn't show the run with vdmsound option then you are trying to run a windows executable instead of a dos executable.

Morrin 28-09-2006 07:36 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 25 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]257260[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Morrin, I was asked a simple question - how to use VDMSound to run a game - and I answered it. No need to be hostile.

[/b]
Sorry. I didn't mean to be hostile.. I was kind of joking, but again, my jokes are too serious.

The Fifth Horseman 28-09-2006 12:58 PM

No worries. :)

HappyGamer 28-09-2006 04:59 PM

I try running diskworld under dosbox and I getting music and no sound. I have even tried chaning the sound device under config a few times and nothing. I set it up using just basic soundblaster.

_dave 28-09-2006 07:08 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyGamer @ Sep 28 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]257989[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I try running diskworld under dosbox and I getting music and no sound. I have even tried chaning the sound device under config a few times and nothing. I set it up using just basic soundblaster.
[/b]

i am still having the same problem!

Guest 29-09-2006 11:29 AM

Sigh.. heh, have you executed setup when in DosBox? (not in windows). If the sounds work and you have the speech version, then try again until you find the right settings. It should work with the default values of sound blaster. You did choose soundblaster as your soundcard right?

Morrin 29-09-2006 11:30 AM

^ Damn! I just wrote message without logging in. I missed one post in the post counter! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

HappyGamer 29-09-2006 11:46 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Morrin")</div>
Quote:

^ Damn! I just wrote message without logging in. I missed one post in the post counter!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111[/b]
Don't worry man there will be more posts.

BTW, I have tried this under dos box and still no go on the sound music works great and this is not the talkie because I downloaded the game from here.

The Fifth Horseman 29-09-2006 02:01 PM

www.the-underdogs.info have got a talkie version, if you're interested.

Morrin 30-09-2006 11:03 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 29 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]258160[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

www.the-underdogs.info have got a talkie version, if you're interested.
[/b]
That's why I tried to hint about it in sneaky way. Hehe. I wasn't quite sure if it was allowed to say it. Abandonia version doesn't have voice acting in it.

HappyGamer 30-09-2006 04:37 PM

Yes but because I have dial-up only I need to know how big the file is on the underdogs website. Also is there anyway to fix the sound music is great but no sound. know I posting the same question again but I would really appreacite any help about this minor annoyence you can give.

BTW, Morrin very clever in the way of hiding the webaddress in the sentece. I got it the first time I just hate going to the underdogs webpage because there is too many pop-ups. Anyway thanks everyone again for all the great help.

The Fifth Horseman 02-10-2006 11:36 AM

The archive on HOTU is pretty big, unfortunately. Somwhere about 140 MB.

Morrin 02-10-2006 12:38 PM

You could download it with public computer? I do it, and then crab to my usb memorystick. Very handy.

HappyGamer 02-10-2006 04:39 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Oct 2 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]258841[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

You could download it with public computer? I do it, and then crab to my usb memorystick. Very handy.
[/b]

I do not have thumb drive. Besides I would just like to get the sound to work on the copy that I got from here because that souds like an awful lot of work for one game. Great suggestion just too much work.

Morrin 03-10-2006 06:37 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyGamer @ Oct 2 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]258922[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Oct 2 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]258841[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]

I do not have thumb drive. Besides I would just like to get the sound to work on the copy that I got from here because that souds like an awful lot of work for one game. Great suggestion just too much work.
[/b][/quote]

If you mean the sounds (talk) then it is impossible, because abandonia version is ripped and there is no sound files in it! So no sounds... well, no sounds. :D

Sorry, but only way to hear the talking is to get a version that is not ripped.

Usb memorysticks don't cost much nowadays. You can get 1gig drive for about 30euros.

#BlakhOle# 03-10-2006 07:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJXB @ Sep 20 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]256257[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Sep 18 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]255748[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Well there's no sound for me on the logos, but the sound is fine when it gets into the game. Not that it really matters, I guess...

HappyGamer 06-10-2006 07:15 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Oct 3 2006, 06:37 AM) [snapback]259043[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyGamer @ Oct 2 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]258922[/snapback]
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Oct 2 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]258841[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

If you mean the sounds (talk) then it is impossible, because abandonia version is ripped and there is no sound files in it! So no sounds... well, no sounds. :D

Sorry, but only way to hear the talking is to get a version that is not ripped.

Usb memorysticks don't cost much nowadays. You can get 1gig drive for about 30euros.
[/b][/quote]

:thanx: By sound I understand there are no voices on the game, but what about what about Sound FX? Like the knocking on the door that wakes you up when you first start the game.

Morrin 09-10-2006 07:59 AM

If I remember correctly, I didn't have any sound effects in the game assuming I correctly set my soundcard settings. I didn't have any problems setting the setup in non-ripped version however. So I think it's pretty heavily ripped.

HappyGamer 09-10-2006 05:38 PM

:thanx:

irish411 29-10-2006 05:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Sep 20 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]256187[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Hmm.. Im nOt quite sure if iT's allowed to say it here? yoU should register, so I could PM you.
[/b]

I'm having one hell of a time trying to get the sound to work for Abandonia's version of Discworld. I can play using either VDMSound or Dosbox, but there is no sound. Every time I try to modify the Discworld .BAT file, using VDMS, I get an error message that reads "cannot read drive F," whatever the crap that means. I am thoroughly perplexed at this point. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thx.

irish411 29-10-2006 05:55 AM

Just to make sure I didn't miss anything, I went back to the other responses, but to no avail. Still nothing! I then went to Abandonia's review of Discworld. In there it suggested that I "Run Config.bat and configure your sound and audio to Soundblaster Pro if you have it
Open Disk.bat using VDMS Sound, found in our Programs section, make a custom configuration in VDMS Sound and set the Soundblaster to Soundblaster Pro." I tried that to the best of my abilities, being very limited. Again, I got nothing. I'm not sure I have Soundblaster Pro for my laptop. Also, I have no idea how to correctly "make a custom configuration in VDMS Sound and set the Soundblaster to Soundblaster Pro." I'm rather lost. Every time I try to configure Discworld's sound settings to Soundblaster Pro, all I get is an error msg reading "Loading 'VDDLoader.dll'...Not ready reading drive F...Abort, Retry, Fail?" What de crap!?! Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Morrin 30-10-2006 10:05 AM

Sigh. If you only readed previous posts.

Abandonia version: has music but speech audio has been ripped (hence smaller size)
HOTU version: is full version, without ripping and including audio files. If you use this, remember the patch at the same page.

I personally had no problems making the hotu version work perfectly. If you are looking for speech sound in abandonia version, it won't work, because THERE IS NO GODDAMN SOUND IN IT! :wallbash:

irish411 31-10-2006 02:47 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Oct 30 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]264295[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Abandonia version: has music but speech audio has been ripped (hence smaller size)
HOTU version: is full version, without ripping and including audio files. If you use this, remember the patch at the same page.

I personally had no problems making the hotu version work perfectly. If you are looking for speech sound in abandonia version, it won't work, because THERE IS NO GODDAMN SOUND IN IT! :wallbash:
[/b]

Easy killer. No need to get testy. I appreciate your help. Ciao!

Morrin 31-10-2006 05:12 AM

Im cool, Im cool. I might use a little "harsh" language or behaviour sometimes but my goal is not to offend or harm. Enjoy!

Guest_Peter_* 07-03-2007 04:37 PM

:sos: Help! Sos! LOL.. When i downloaded the game Discworld (A game i had been playing for years but lost the disc..) I played got very excited then.. No sound.. Not a voice.. I used VDMS sound.. Ans i had to config it a little bit.. And gos som polyphonic songs.. No voice.. No Sound Effects.. HELP MEEEE!........Please? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (If you hep me i sshall praise you.. :kosta: )

From A great discworld fan.. Peter

Icewolf 07-03-2007 04:44 PM

Hmm... You might get a rised (index :D) finger or even :mallet: for resurrecting this thread.

Try DosBox: Download and The Abandonia DosBox manual.

:ok:

The Fifth Horseman 08-03-2007 03:08 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Oct 30 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]264295[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]

ejay1118 16-03-2007 02:51 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Mar 7 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]282332[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Hmm... You might get a rised (index :D) finger or even :mallet: for resurrecting this thread.

Try DosBox: Download and The Abandonia DosBox manual.

:ok:
[/b]
I am quite frankly glad he resurected (sp) the thread because I had the same problem and thought there was something wrong with my settings! Now I have to find the other version.

Thanks for all the help. No sarcasam intended!

ejay1118 17-03-2007 01:17 PM

[quote]
Quote:

Oh boy! I went to HOTU and tried to register. It told me that someone with my email address was <already> a member (oh really? When?) But I couldn't remember my log in. Then it turns out in order to get my password from them, I had to give them my login name which I couldn't remember! <So,> I listed the members by location and tried to find my membership (Fortunately, I didn't put anything clever in my location slot like some of the members) Found it, and it triggered the password in my memory so I was able to log in without asking them for my password *whew*

Next problem is, all I could find was the forums. There doesn't seem to <be> any place to just download stuff from! And they have a message that you should read first that says posting messages the consist of; "Where can I download such and such from?" will get you banned!

Now what? :sos:

_r.u.s.s. 17-03-2007 05:53 PM

maybe you can search for scummvm version somewhere

The Fifth Horseman 19-03-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Next problem is, all I could find was the forums. There doesn't seem to <be> any place to just download stuff from! And they have a message that you should read first that says posting messages the consist of; "Where can I download such and such from?" will get you banned![/b]
The downloads are accessible from the main page of HOTU. You don't need to register to access them.
On the forum, you will only get banned if you repeatedly ask for warez.
And Discworld download page is HERE.

ejay1118 25-03-2007 06:33 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Mar 19 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]284230[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Quote:

Next problem is, all I could find was the forums. There doesn't seem to <be> any place to just download stuff from! And they have a message that you should read first that says posting messages the consist of; "Where can I download such and such from?" will get you banned![/b]
The downloads are accessible from the main page of HOTU. You don't need to register to access them.
On the forum, you will only get banned if you repeatedly ask for warez.
And Discworld download page is HERE.
[/b]
Thanks, Kaos. I managed to pick up on that after a while. :huh: :w00t:

I also found out that you need a patch to run the game if you have anything over Windows 9X!

I got it working after a fashion. If you run the opening screen, it runs fine then kicks you out after showing you the Unseen University. If you hit "esc" during the opening sequence, it takes you to Rincewinds bedroom and the game starts! :ok:

Thanks again for the help, sorry about being an behind and asking a stupid question! :wallbash:

Lycan 22-05-2007 09:27 PM

Right okay, First of i have been all over the web looking for answers to the discworld speech problem now i found my way here and i would like to ask for help.

I have the discworld game on CD i bought it years ago and i wanted to play it again so i put the disc in my computer loaded it up and played the game...No sound....No music...Just Silence, I got mad i tryed loading it up with different sound configs and still nothing at all.

I read that this VDMsound thing would fix the problem so i downloaded that and played the game with that but it won't play the game it comes up with the error of it not being able to find the disc in the drive or saying that "DIGpack" isn't loaded so i did some more looking around and heard about DOSbox or whatever same deal no sound no nothing....I'm begging anybody out there please if they can help me to please do so...I am dying to play this game again just some more time with sound so i can hear the funny remarks of Discworld.

Is there any way VDMsound should be loaded or anything or DOSbox...Or should i download Discworld from this HOTU or something please i am begging you for help.

_r.u.s.s. 22-05-2007 09:49 PM

well it wored with dosbox for me. how did you set it up?

Guest 23-05-2007 05:49 AM

Well i put the CD in then it comes up with some questions on how you wanted to load it then i put in the answers then it plays the game but theres no sound what so ever no music no sound no nothing.

....I guess i could try DOSbox again...Is there any help you can give me with that so i know i at least have DOSbox set up right

Guest 23-05-2007 06:37 AM

I tryed DOSbox but it's doing the same as VDMsound it keeps coming up with
"Discworld cannot locate discworld CD
DIGPAK sound driver unloaded"

or

"Discworld cannot locate discworld CD" but i have the CD in the driver

Should i just download the game from that HOTU website place

_r.u.s.s. 23-05-2007 08:30 AM

ok..once again, i ll ask more accurate.
did you mount your cd drive? or install the game and Then mount installed directory? you should mont cd drive, virtual directory on hdd and then install it in dosbox.

so..
mount c <patch on your hdd, where you want to have virtual directory (and install the game)>
mount d <your cd drive> -t -cdrom

for example, on my computer it would look like this:
mount c d:\gamez\
mount d e:\
and when installing the game i would install it to "c:\discoworld" in dosbox (on my hard drive it would be in d:\gamez\discoworld, since i substituted C with d:\gamez)

Guest 23-05-2007 07:29 PM

Alright i installed it on to my drive and went to the DOSbox website and followed the guide there and nothing happened i'll do it again and right out each thing i do so if i'm making a mistake you know okay

This is the game installed on the computer

I open DOSbox, and i type
mount C C:\oldgames (oldgames is the name of the folder in which discworld is located)

It tells me "Drive C is mounted as local directory C:\oldgames\"

I then type C: (The "Z:\" is now "C:\")

I now type cd DISCWLD (The folder in "oldgames" for discworld is called "DISCWLD")

"C:\" has now changed to "C:\DISCWLD"

So i now type "DISC.BAT" it then goes to play the game as if i had just double clicked the file "DISC" but then just like VDMsound it comes up with "Discworld cannot locate discworld CD DIGPAK sound driver unloaded"

The guide on the website says it's for version 0.60 but my version is 0.70 so does that matter? i also did typed everything it said word for word i'll try your guide and see what happens

_r.u.s.s. 23-05-2007 07:41 PM

you need to mount your cdrom drive first. use the command i described before.

for example, if your cd drive is D, type
"mount d d:\ -t -cdrom"
if its E type
"mount "e e:\ -t cdrom"
(also if this doesnt work, try "mount d e:\ -t cdrom")

btw, i told you, you were supposed to mount the cdrom drive in dosbox first and install it from there. but it can work now. so try, and if it doesnt work, tell

Guest 23-05-2007 10:43 PM

So when i open up DOSbox

I type mount d d:\ -t-cdrom

(I did that and it says "Drive d is mounted as local directory d:\")

then what? (Sorry i'm not so good with computer stuff)

Could you do like a step by step guide or something like i did

_r.u.s.s. 24-05-2007 08:31 AM

well i cant give you step by steb guide cause i dont know what are your directories and stuff..or where you installed the game=)
so, in case you mounted the d drive (and i expect your CD rom to be D of course, is it?)
do Exactly same things as you wrote in the post before (Post #53)

Sathanas 24-05-2007 12:27 PM

VDM fixed it =D thanks, whoever said it.

Guest 24-05-2007 07:34 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ May 24 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]291126[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

well i cant give you step by steb guide cause i dont know what are your directories and stuff..or where you installed the game=)
so, in case you mounted the d drive (and i expect your CD rom to be D of course, is it?)
do Exactly same things as you wrote in the post before (Post #53)
[/b]
Okay

Well the game in installed in C:\ drive (C:\ is my hard drive)
My CD drive is as you thought D:\

So all i have to do is everything i did before but in stead of mounting C:\ i mount D:\, i hate to say it but that really doesn't make to much sense coz the game is loaded in C:\ how would mounting from D:\ help me?

_r.u.s.s. 24-05-2007 08:26 PM

the thing is. that you mount your drive AND you mount your cdrom (thats different)
so.. when you type mount <blablab> -t -cdrom its different than you wrote mount <blablab>

so um..

mount C C:\oldgames
mount d d:\ -t -cdrom
D:
and run the name of install application(i dont know, i dont have cd, maybe install.exe?), install it to "C:\DISCWLD"
then when back in command line, type C:
cd DISCWLD
DISC.BAT

Guest 24-05-2007 10:27 PM

I tryed that to the very letter but still nothing i loaded it via DOSbox but it doesn't play the game in fact it won't let me do the rest of what you said after the load.

"then when back in command line, type C:
cd DISCWLD
DISC.BAT"

That part, tell me do you need soundblaster sound cards or something? coz well my computers a new one and the option it gives you for sound and Midi are like fossils.

I don't have a soundblaster soundcard i have something else does all this matter?

Should i just download the game or something, would that help this?

_r.u.s.s. 24-05-2007 11:22 PM

what does it say if it 'doesnt let you'? (this is realy difficult since i dont know how does installation look like)

about that soundblaster, its ok if you dont have it dosbox emulates it

Guest 25-05-2007 12:39 AM

...Well i could take pictures with screenshot would that help?

_r.u.s.s. 25-05-2007 09:08 AM

sure :ok:

The Fifth Horseman 25-05-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

That part, tell me do you need soundblaster sound cards or something?[/b]
DosBox emulates a 486, DOS operating system AND some additional hardware - soundcards included. Set it to use Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220 (that's the defaults for DosBox) and it should work.

Quote:

coz well my computers a new one and the option it gives you for sound and Midi are like fossils.[/b]
Those "fossils" were once cutting edge of sound hardware. :P

lycan2000 25-05-2007 08:13 PM

Alright..here are the pictures of the setup

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/Lyc...0/Discworld.jpg
As you can see i typed all the things in BUT i didn't type in after D:\ "DISC" which then starts the load so on to the load.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/Lyc...cworldsetup.jpg
Well i don't really need to explain this one to much

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/Lyc...worldsetup2.jpg
Now i picked "Soundblaster 16" (It sounds cool) and after this i comes up with some things which are like
Address 220
DMA, and something else after that

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/Lyc...worldsetup3.jpg
This is the Midi picker i picked "Soundblaster PRO - OPL3" i then hit enter it loaded and when it should play discworld (IF i was load normal and with out DOSbox)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/Lyc...worldsetup4.jpg
Now this is the error after i hit enter...does any of this help? OH and when i type in C: as you said i should when it goes back to DOSbox it just says "C:\DISCWLD.CD>"

I'm willing to give up fully on this CD and downloaded Discworld game via HOTU coz that seems like what everybody else is doing plus if i did that you would be able to walk me through easier...right?

Anno 26-05-2007 01:59 PM

You're mounting your D wrong. Use -t cdrom instead of -t-cdrom

lycan2000 27-05-2007 12:46 AM

...Are you sure....Oh well can't hurt to try

IT WORKS! SOUND AND ALL..MY GOD!
And the only problem was a space ha ha thank you guest thank you everybody ha ha happy days DISCWORLD!

BranjoHello 28-09-2007 05:04 PM

I read all 5 pages and no answer to my problem...which is:

I don't want to play the game without speech sounds(i have the 100mb+ version from HOTU),
and it gives me headache!

Wnen I start the game in the DOSbox i say:
"Discworld cannot find 'english.idx'!!"

No matter what I choose for digital sound driver it will say the same!
MIDI music works just fine!
VDMSound isn't helping!

:sos:

dosraider 28-09-2007 06:33 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BranjoHello @ Sep 28 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]313717[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

(i have the 100mb+ version from HOTU)[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("HotU info")</div>
Quote:

DECODE.EXE file in download zip must be replaced with file from Decoder fix (download above). Then run UNPACK.BAT. Read README.TXT file if you are using anything higher than Windows 95. [/b]
Did you ?

*Edit
Because I'm in a good mood today:
http://www.the-underdogs.info/games/d/disc...scworld-fix.zip

And the readme:
Quote:

Discworld 1

Decoder fix + English.idx file

Install instructions:

1) Replace DECODE.EXE file in game download zip with Decode.exe file from this fix. Then run UNPACK.BAT.

2) If you run UNPACK.BAT in any Windows OS higher than Win95 it will crash. Run it anyway and copy the English.idx file from this fix to the game directory

Have fun!

** END OF FILE**[/b]
You could find those instructions easily by yourself on HotU ya know.

BranjoHello 03-10-2007 05:32 PM

Irony is everywhere!
I found the solution myself, 10 min after posting here!

:wallbash:

Guest 09-10-2007 03:56 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Morrin @ Sep 21 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]256386[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Im using DosBox to run discworld. It runs just finely.
[/b]
:sos: How do i use DosBox for Discworld? *NON DISC VERSION*

(But what do i have to write) :sos:

_r.u.s.s. 09-10-2007 04:10 PM

intro

The Fifth Horseman 10-10-2007 09:17 AM

Read this.

fb 16-10-2007 03:04 PM

Hm. I'm honestly not sure if I can hear any sound effects. Music and speech works.
Using the CD version + DOSBox. Anyone could pinpoint the first sound effect I should hear?

fb 16-10-2007 03:13 PM

Sorry for the trouble, got it all down now.
There was no sound effects, but I got it all fixed.

If anyone has a similar problem - the sounds before the actual game starts and a knock on the door is the first SFX in the game.

Morrin 18-10-2007 10:42 AM

If you hear speech, all is good

Guest 28-10-2007 03:29 AM

Hey, I've got Discworld 1 on CD that I bought myself when it first came out. (So it's not a ripped version.)

I've tried both of the suggestions that have come up to get the sound to work, because I didn't want to post and ask the same question that's been asked over and over. But I'm seriously stuck now.

When using dosbox I have mounted both the CD Drive and the program file as has been suggested before, the game starts and it does work but with no sound.

So then I tried using VDMSound, but it doesn't even run. It comes back with the command prompt either saying that the CD cannot be located, when I've clicked on the starter file in the C drive to"run with VDMSound. I then tried to start it straight from the CD and it came back with "MIDPAK and DIGPAK sound driver unloaded".

As you can see I'm not a computer expert! When I first bought this game in 1995 it worked flawlessly, but I guess it's so outdated now, but it would be awesome to play it again with Eric Idle as Rincewind!

Thank you!

Guest 12-11-2007 09:30 PM

Exactly the same things are happening to me! Anyone got any idea why?!

dosraider 12-11-2007 09:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 12 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]319052[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Anyone got any idea why?![/b]
Sorry, my crystal bulb's fuse is blown, and I have no reserve.
So:
Post ALL your mount lines and ALL your inputs, then maybe someone can say where it went wrong.
And: OS ???

Paulky45 22-11-2007 12:48 AM

Right. Unfortunately I have the pleasure of having many similair problems except on a Mac.

Long story short, after a lot of heartbreak, got the HOTU version, did all that was asked, copyed over the english.idx file, now its looking for an "english.smp" file.
Looked through other forums on other sites and it says open up the .idx file and just save it as "all files" and give it the .smp prefix. Can't seem to choose "all files" on a mac (tried what I think would be the alternative and got a "file corrupted" error). And anyway, pretty sure the sound wouldn't work then if I just did that.
Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else even have an english.smp file?

dosraider 22-11-2007 02:53 AM

Try:
copy english.idx english.smp
In dosbox whilst you're in the right directory.

*Edit:
There is indeed a english.smp on the original CD:
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5...scw1tj5.th.png

Paulky45 22-11-2007 04:29 PM

Just gave that a go but no luck. Still get the same message
"Discworld file 'english.smp' is corrupt!"

Was gonna ask if some one could email me the file but 34mbs is way too big to be asking for.

Arg! All I want is a bit of Monthy Python speak! Played it years ago and can't bring myself to go through it without the classic speech acting.

Anyone else having this problem with the HOTU version? I've looked through the thread and didn't see anyone.
Is hardly just cos of the mac, everything else works the same.

nina23 31-08-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulky45 (Post 312040)
Just gave that a go but no luck. Still get the same message
"Discworld file 'english.smp' is corrupt!"

Was gonna ask if some one could email me the file but 34mbs is way too big to be asking for.

Arg! All I want is a bit of Monthy Python speak! Played it years ago and can't bring myself to go through it without the classic speech acting.

Anyone else having this problem with the HOTU version? I've looked through the thread and didn't see anyone.
Is hardly just cos of the mac, everything else works the same.

i managed to get discworld 2 to work with music and sound but it distorts every now and then, does any1 no how to fix that? if you need help i can tell you how to run discworld 2 under dosbox, my email is [EDITED] if you want to contact me. but dont forget the sg at the end of com or it wont go threw.

The current time is 09:05 AM (GMT)